PDA

View Full Version : 2011-2012 Soccer Thread

Pagliacci
August 5th, 2011, 07:13 PM
Time to pull the plug on the old thread and get talking about this upcoming season!

Anybody watch Dortmund beat Hamburg 3-1? Great game to start the Bundesliga season!

Dawdler
August 6th, 2011, 12:02 AM
Time to pull the plug on the old thread and get talking about this upcoming season!

Anybody watch Dortmund beat Hamburg 3-1? Great game to start the Bundesliga season!

I saw the first goal but I didn't think Hamburg would lose that badly.

with that being said, coming into this season of football, I've really cut down on the leagues I follow, I follow these four in no particular order:

Bundesliga
MLS
Mexican League
Premier League

I used to try to follow just the big name leagues but I find no fun in that, Italy is boring, Spain is a RM/Barca circle jerk, the PL is just the big four but I grew up on this league because it was before the MLS, so its a habit I can't break, the MLS is my Countries league and the Mexican League is my Fathers league and the German League has the way of play that has a big influence on the ML and MLS.

what leagues are you guys going to follow? any predictions for the coming season?

Pagliacci
August 6th, 2011, 02:02 AM
La Liga for sure. I think Real Madrid are going to be unstoppable this season and I ****ing hate everything they stand for. Barcelona won't be able to keep up as I see them having too many defensive breakdowns. Ex: the Chivas game. I also predict an off year for David Villa again and a tired Messi. Thiago is going to continue to rise to stardom. Barcelona is also going to need another CB.

Bundesliga is so much fun because I don't support any specific team, although I enjoy it when Munich loses.

EPL for sure although nobody is going to knock off ManU from the top. Torres is going to flop again this year... Luis Saurez and Agüero will be great stars to go along with Chicharito and Rooney.

Italian leag... Zzzzz Zzzzz

Crazy_Ivan
August 6th, 2011, 07:11 AM
although I enjoy it when Munich loses.

Bitch............................................. .................from now I am supporting Real.

Pagliacci
August 6th, 2011, 04:06 PM
Bitch............................................. .................from now I am supporting Real.Oh no you di'int!!!

ASUcruz
August 7th, 2011, 08:57 AM
Charity Shield means nothing but that was awesome

Iron Duke
August 8th, 2011, 03:00 PM
I'll definitely be following the EPL. Primarily a Fulham fan, but I also like seeing which of the bottom half teams can make a run from year to year.

MLS-used to not bother, but I've come to believe that our league will never get better if even American soccer fans refuse to watch it. So far, a lot less disappointed than I thought I'd be.

I'll also watch as many Bundesliga games as I can, and the occasional La Liga and Ligue 1 match. Don't care for Serie A though.

Jaygokings!
August 8th, 2011, 03:08 PM
Newcastle v. Arsenal Sat morning. I will be up watching it in my Magpies jersey. LET'S GO BOYS!

Dawdler
August 8th, 2011, 03:13 PM
Charity Shield means nothing but that was awesome

on the pitch it didn't mean a thing but ManU put every team on notice, they're not going to give up the crown without a fight, should be a fun season

Pagliacci
August 9th, 2011, 08:00 AM
I'm pissed I only got to see the first 20 minutes of the community shield. How did Aguero look?

ASUcruz
August 9th, 2011, 10:47 AM
I'm pissed I only got to see the first 20 minutes of the community shield. How did Aguero look?

He didn't play, blisters on his feet supposedly the reason.

ASUcruz
August 9th, 2011, 10:50 AM
Nice Q & A with Klinnsmann

*U.S. team*must develop more attack-based*style - Grant Wahl - SI.com (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/grant_wahl/08/08/klinsmann.mexico/index.html?sct=sc_t11_a1)

ASUcruz
August 9th, 2011, 05:25 PM
I'm assuming Dempsey isn't there because the premier league season is about to start. Edit: on 2nd thought, so is the season for Howard?

Klinnsman addresses Dempsey in his interview with Grant Wahl (must follow on twitter for US Soccer fans), with Martin Jol new to Fulham, Dempsey's starting place might not be so secure. Makes sense to let him stay at Craven Cottage. On the other hand Howard is Everton's unquestioned #1 plus I think it's easier for a goalie to make that cross country trip and play on the weekend compared to an outfield player.

Altidore - I honestly don't even remember where he's playing now, or when their season starts.

He scored in his debut against PSV

‪Jozy Altidore's First Goal For AZ Alkmaar vs. PSV‬‏ - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IflNR2R-k2A)

Could be some different looks though judging by the roster. Buddle up top with Donovan and Adu right behind him?

Still think Donovan is best deployed wide right where his pace is more of an advantage. Klinnsmann preferred the 4-4-2 with Germany albeit with much different personal. I'd like to see Adu get a start, he deserves one after some good performances in the Gold Cup. It'll be interesting to what Kilnnsmann thinks of Agudelo, Bradley gave him a nice run of games in the last months but hasn't overly impressed.

Also hope Brek Shea gets a start at left mid, he looked out of depth in his international debut but he is having an awesome year for FC Dallas.

ucsdguy1
August 9th, 2011, 05:57 PM
Millwall fans say stop the rioting!

Millwall fans protecting Eltham Highstreet, you might hate th... on Twitpic (http://twitpic.com/63k6tg)

roenick
August 10th, 2011, 08:15 PM
Nice comeback tonight by USA even though they played an undermined Mexican team (at least with few strikers).

I am ecstatic with Klinnsman being with Team USA as I have been wanting him to be the team's coach for a long, long time. Great to see the team play with some enthusiasm and a very, very solid second half. I think this is a great start for Jurgen and Team USA.

What's up Paolo? Long time no talk. Hope you are well.

ASUcruz
August 10th, 2011, 08:21 PM
Apparently this is no longer a Red Card

http://www.sawauto.com/uploader/up/x2011-August-10-23-00-20.jpg.pagespeed.ic.2wtwMWxoZK.jpg

kba4life2
August 11th, 2011, 06:56 AM
Shea was quite impressive out there, he should definitely get the start against Costa Rica next month. His quickness and speed are incredible for his size, he absolutely exploded past the Mexican defenders in a few quick bursts on that shot that Ochoa barely got a hand on. With Shea, Chandler, Lichaj and Gatt all knocking on the door the flanks for the U.S. looks pretty solid.

ucsdguy1
August 11th, 2011, 11:04 AM
red card x 10.

I spent a lot of the LA/Dallas match last week watching Shea, and really felt he'd be good for the US team. Liked him again last night. The guy really is big, quick, and has power in his leg while seemingly looking effortless.

Jose Torres is still my man-crush since sasha victorine retired.

Buddy sent me a text "Juergen just smiled more in 60 minutes than Bob Bradley did in 5 years". hmm

http://gif.mocksession.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/KLINSMANNTANZ.gif.pagespeed.ce.8ysJTTkb-M.gif

ASUcruz
August 11th, 2011, 08:44 PM
Positive start to the Klinnsman era.

First half was pretty sloppy but positive changes in the second led to a much beåtter played half. US was unlucky not to win, foul on Donovan was a clear pen and an obvious red card was missed. It wasn't a great Mexico side but the US was out some key players as well so a draw was a very solid result. Although we were sloppy in the first, Mexico didn't have many clear cut chances throughout.

Some talking points

1. Formation

US lined up in a 4-2-3-1 that was not that different than what Bradley used. This formation is definitely the "flavor of the month" so to speak of international sides and with the our depth in center mid it makes sense to use it. It wasn't very effective in the first half but that was due more to personal than anything I think. Jones did not have a good and Buddle was non-existent. Donovan was isolated on the right, never got the ball and to be honest he has the tendency to drift out of the game when he gets isolated rather than seeking more possession. Bradley is miscast as the central attacking midfielder, I don't think he has enough pace to take advantage of the space, he is best suited playing deeper.

Bringing on Shea and Agudelo allowed more players to play in roles they are suited for. Torres moved into he center of the attacking midfield 3 where his vision and pace are more suited. Shea provided good width on the left and Donovan was brought into the game more, while Bradley provided stability in the engine room alongside a surprisingly good Beckerman.

2. José Francisco Torres

It was nice to see Torres back into the fold. In Bradley's 4-4-2 I believe he was too lightweight o play as one of the two center mids. He would get knocked off the ball too easily and couldn't handle he battle. In a 4-2-3-1 though he has more freedom and doesn't have to battle at much with two defensive minded mids behind him to graft and win possession. I think he was a bit uncomfortable on the left early, not knowing whether to provide width or cut inside, but when he was moved to the middle late he was superb. He always looks to play the ball forward and is poised on the ball. As long as we play a 5 man midfield he will continue to be a factor.

3. Going Forward

All in all a good debut for Klinnsmann and I am excited to see a full strength US squad play in this more attack minded 4-2-3-1. Our backline played pretty well but Klinnsmann will have to develop a new crop of defenders for this cycle. Bocangegra and Cherendolo have been mainstays in the national team for quite some time and they are still very useful (both guys played very well) but I doubt either will feature in 2014. Both guys are still essential for qualifying but we will have find younger talent. I hope to see Ream, Gonzalez, etc. get looks. Lichaj and Chandler look to be fullbacks for the future but depth will have to be developed behind those two.

In the midfield we have plenty of options. I think Bradley is best used as one of the two double pivots in the 4-2-3-1. Ideally you'd want his partner to be a bit more defensive minded. Beckerman played well against Mexico and fits that role since he'll sit in front of the back 4 and hold things together. He didn't put a wrong foot forward against El Tri but at the highest level international level I wouldn't be confident with him in the starting 11. Beckerman/Edu/Jones/Clark will all vie for that other double pivot spot in the coming weeks. It'll be interesting to see how things shake out. I like Edu the most out of those four but I don't think he is disciplined enough yet to play a more holding role. Jones had some good games in the Gold Cup (Jamacia comes to mind) but he is too inconsistent and sometimes avoids playing the simple ball. Clark and Beckerman are both destroyer types who would compliment Bradley well.

The attacking three is where we have a ton of really good options. My dream scenario is to have an attacking three of Dempsey, Holden, and Donovan. Three talented attacking players that have pace, skill, intelligence, eye for the pass, and the ability to score. That is a dangerous trident of attacking mids that can interchange and interplay very well if everyhing clicks right. Torres form could force him into the lineup, with Dempsey possibly playing at a false 9 forward. Another option is playing Shea to provide some width on the left. Bedoya is another player who had a pretty good Gold Cup that provides width.

Up front Buddle was not impressive while Agudelo was. I still think that at this point Dempsey is our best bet playing as a false 9 lone forward but hopefully Altidore/Agudelo can develop into more consistent options.

ASUcruz
August 11th, 2011, 10:17 PM
Philadelphia Union set to announce signing of Freddy Adu - ESPN Soccernet (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/942609/philadelphia-union-set-to-announce-signing-of-freddy-adu?cc=5901)

Best move for Adu. He just needs to get back to playing regularly.

Diehard
August 13th, 2011, 01:31 AM
It appears as though Cesc Fabregas will finally be joining the Nou Camp. I really have no idea where he'll fit in this season. I'm thinking he was primarily brought in to replace Xavi when he starts to fade, but as for the immediate future I don't think he's going to start. Busquets is firmly entrenched as our DM so he's not going anywhere. We might consider slotting him in at midfield and having Iniesta move to the wing, but I hope we don't do that because Iniesta is best utilized in the midfield to give more space for Xavi and Messi to work their magic. Plus Pedro is no slouch on the wing, not to mention that Sanchez, Alcantara, and Affelay will also be vying for playing time. Hopefully Cesc doesn't grow disgruntled being used as a spot starter/bench player. Wouldn't be surprised if a few players on our roster grow discontented over lack of playing time.

Crazy_Ivan
August 13th, 2011, 04:36 AM
I think Cesc knows that he is a rotational starter at the moment, like you say he will be the eventual replacement for Xavi.

OvertimeHero
August 13th, 2011, 08:28 AM
Newcastle v. Arsenal Sat morning. I will be up watching it in my Magpies jersey. LET'S GO BOYS!

As will I, but I think it's going to be a LONG season for the Toon. I am fearing relegation at this point.

ASUcruz
August 13th, 2011, 12:21 PM
It appears as though Cesc Fabregas will finally be joining the Nou Camp. I really have no idea where he'll fit in this season. I'm thinking he was primarily brought in to replace Xavi when he starts to fade, but as for the immediate future I don't think he's going to start. Busquets is firmly entrenched as our DM so he's not going anywhere. We might consider slotting him in at midfield and having Iniesta move to the wing, but I hope we don't do that because Iniesta is best utilized in the midfield to give more space for Xavi and Messi to work their magic. Plus Pedro is no slouch on the wing, not to mention that Sanchez, Alcantara, and Affelay will also be vying for playing time. Hopefully Cesc doesn't grow disgruntled being used as a spot starter/bench player. Wouldn't be surprised if a few players on our roster grow discontented over lack of playing time.

Fabergas is definitley the long term replacement for Xavi. In the short term I think Pep knows he has been pretty damn lucky as far as injuries go. Xavi, Iniesta, and Busquetes have all made over 50 appearances for Barca in the last two years. Seems unrealistic for that to continue and while Barca have been winning everything in sight, they do lack depth which I think hurt them two years ago in the Champions League.

I don't think Fabergas will be discontent over not appearing in as many games since he's willing to take less money to leave Arsenal. I don't see him desperately trying to leave Arsenal for Barca then complaining later over playing time. Where would he go anyways?

Pagliacci
August 13th, 2011, 05:20 PM
Fabergas is definitley the long term replacement for Xavi. In the short term I think Pep knows he has been pretty damn lucky as far as injuries go. Xavi, Iniesta, and Busquetes have all made over 50 appearances for Barca in the last two years. Seems unrealistic for that to continue and while Barca have been winning everything in sight, they do lack depth which I think hurt them two years ago in the Champions League.

I don't think Fabergas will be discontent over not appearing in as many games since he's willing to take less money to leave Arsenal. I don't see him desperately trying to leave Arsenal for Barca then complaining later over playing time. Where would he go anyways?

Aboslutely on the depth issue. Also, Sanchez, Thiago and Cesc will challenge David Villa, Iniesta, Xavi, and Pedro from their starting positions. Let's be honest, Iniesta is a sleeping BEAST. Having Thiago and Cesc there will make him and Xavi that much better, which is ****ing scary.

Pique has looked slow, along with Fontas at the back and Milito is gone. Puyol is still not ready for action. Barca's achilles is now at the back. NOT GOOD.

Jaygokings!
August 13th, 2011, 05:37 PM
As will I, but I think it's going to be a LONG season for the Toon. I am fearing relegation at this point.

I am not. I am fearing a bottom half of the table finish. That was a bit of an ugly game today. But I am happy we got the point...even if it was in St. James. And QPR, Norwich, and Swans are arguably worse then the 3 relegates last season so I think we will be okay to not get relegated.

In regards to the game today, I thought the new acquisitions looked fantastic. Ba, and Obertan specifically. We'll see how next week goes. More a mid table match up. and seriously...as much a pain in the ass Joey Barton is I love the guys spirit.

Pagliacci
August 13th, 2011, 07:27 PM
Gotta love Joey Barton. Of course he flew off the handle, but he IS Newcastle at this point. Poor Arsenal...

ASUcruz
August 13th, 2011, 10:48 PM
I am not. I am fearing a bottom half of the table finish. That was a bit of an ugly game today. But I am happy we got the point...even if it was in St. James. And QPR, Norwich, and Swans are arguably worse then the 3 relegates last season so I think we will be okay to not get relegated.

In regards to the game today, I thought the new acquisitions looked fantastic. Ba, and Obertan specifically. We'll see how next week goes. More a mid table match up. and seriously...as much a pain in the ass Joey Barton is I love the guys spirit.

If Newcastle end up keeping Barton I think they will do just enough to stay up. As you mention, the new boys in the Prem don't look all that likely to stay up.

I think Newcastle will struggle mainly because I don't see where the goals are coming from. It is unbelievable that Shola Ameobi is still in the Premiership and starting no less! Ba had a nice run of games for West Ham but is unproven over the long haul. Unfortunate they have yet to re-invest the money they got for Carroll, Nolan and now Enrique back into the team.

With Barton in the team I think they are decent enough in midfield and at the back to scrap together enough points to stay up. Maybe they will flirt with relegation but still don't see them going down.

Jaygokings!
August 14th, 2011, 06:04 PM
I am still waiting for Ranger to step up. Guy has been hovering in the system for like..how long now? 3...4 seasons?

Hoping the scenery change can spur Ba on for more then a handful of games like in West Ham, and Shola is only 29..he's been around forever but he still is a class player when his heart is in it. Losing Carroll freaking hurt. I'd take the decrepit knees of Michael Owen up front right now in all honesty. Or hell...pull Shearer out of the stands.

Cheers to hoping the Ameobi brothers (I am actually excited to see Sammy play) and Ba carry the offense...oh and Barty too if he decides to stay and stops blasting people on twitter to get himself suspended.

ASUcruz
August 14th, 2011, 09:14 PM
Hoping the scenery change can spur Ba on for more then a handful of games like in West Ham, and Shola is only 29..he's been around forever but he still is a class player when his heart is in it.

Cheers to hoping the Ameobi brothers (I am actually excited to see Sammy play) and Ba carry the offense...oh and Barty too if he decides to stay and stops blasting people on twitter to get himself suspended.

Class is a gigantic stretch, He has never done anything outside the Championship, he is essentially a poor man's Heskey.

VEGASKING
August 15th, 2011, 12:17 AM
Losing Nolan is going to really hurt them. Ba is the only top flight quality forward they have.

OvertimeHero
August 15th, 2011, 09:36 AM
I missed the game on Saturday, had to go to my god-daughter's birthday party.

I'm just tired of Newcastle just doing enough to stay up. Granted, I don't know much about the transfers they brought in. I'm really hoping they don't get relegated, but I'm concerned about where the goals are going to come from. BTW, I hate Mike Ashley. :)

Jaygokings!
August 15th, 2011, 12:58 PM
Class is a gigantic stretch, He has never done anything outside the Championship, he is essentially a poor man's Heskey.

I love Shola but I think your assessment of a poor mans Heskey is spot on. I dunno I have always like Ameobi, he's stuck by the club forever. I think he is class because he WAS a good premiership forward when he had Shearer with him AND he was healthy. He had Carroll, which he worked fantastically with at times..but we couldn't hold em. He has had a bad injury stretch the last couple seasons..and let's face it..Newcastle hasn't really put some prime help up front with him save Carroll.

Hopefully Demba sparks him.

Jaygokings!
August 15th, 2011, 01:06 PM
Meanwhile The Jacks got their hands full with Man City right now but they are hanging with him. I am impressed with this goalie on Swansea.

ASUcruz
August 17th, 2011, 12:43 PM
Twitter (http://twitter.com/#!/GrantWahl/status/103850354877284354)

ASUcruz
August 17th, 2011, 04:01 PM
Bocanegra also joining Rangers

Twitter (http://twitter.com/#!/GrantWahl/status/103951341449248769)

Jaygokings!
August 17th, 2011, 05:12 PM
I like that move for Boca. ASSE and the French league in general has gone down hill the last few years. Rangers are THE top flight club in Scotland. I mean i't sno EPL but it's going to be some quality playing time for him.

OvertimeHero
August 18th, 2011, 12:05 PM
Anyone know any good sites for ordering soccer jerseys other than worldsoccershop.com? Looking for legit jerseys, not knockoffs. Thanks.

ASUcruz
August 18th, 2011, 03:23 PM
Anyone know any good sites for ordering soccer jerseys other than worldsoccershop.com? Looking for legit jerseys, not knockoffs. Thanks.

I've ordered from onionbag.com and was pleased.

ucsdguy1
August 19th, 2011, 09:59 AM
nice a** kicking of Hearts yesterday..

Jaygokings!
August 20th, 2011, 05:43 AM
Arsenal looks.....well.....average.

and I dunno man watching Andy Carroll play...i thought it might change when he went to Liverpool but he still 3/4ths of the time stands and waits for someone to set him up rather then doing the work himself.

Jaygokings!
August 20th, 2011, 05:59 AM
Meanwhile, not sure how we irked out a win against Sunderland losing possession 44-56 but WHATEVER i'll take it. Fantastic free kick from Taylor.

OvertimeHero
August 20th, 2011, 06:57 AM
Meanwhile, not sure how we irked out a win against Sunderland losing possession 44-56 but WHATEVER i'll take it. Fantastic free kick from Taylor.

That was a beautiful free kick by Taylor. They looked horrible in the 1st half IMO. Possession was like 63-37 after 45. At the end of the day, they still got 3 points and for a short period of time at least, they are 1st in the Premiership! :)

Cross Traffic
August 20th, 2011, 08:55 AM
QPR beat Everton?!?! Great job by QPR's defense and keeper for the clean sheet.

VEGASKING
August 20th, 2011, 09:23 AM
Maybe Spurs can do everyone a favor and beat United on Monday. If Wolves or Bolton win tomorrow they would be top of the table.

ASUcruz
August 20th, 2011, 10:03 PM

Because they are, and even still I they were starting to get into the game right up until Frimpong got sent off. Without Cesc and Wilshire their midfield is very average, Ramsey doesn't look ready to be the main creative force week in and out, he was pretty poor today. Nasri had some moments but he is on his way out. What's killing Arsenal is how inconsistent Walcott and Arshavin are. Never really thought much of Arshavin and Walcott still seems like a sprinter that happens to play soccer. There's thinking that he may be better utilized more centrally, don't see it though.

and I dunno man watching Andy Carroll play...i thought it might change when he went to Liverpool but he still 3/4ths of the time stands and waits for someone to set him up rather then doing the work himself.

Carroll is overrated, still can't get over how much he cost Liverpool. He does play off the last man and waits for service but that is the type of player he is. He is never going to be a player to create goals for himself. His season will depend on how Downing plays. His service will play a major role on whether or not Carroll scores goals. Also not sure how he and Suarez will play together. Suarez is absolute dynamite, as much as I hate to say it Liverpool have bought themselves an awesome player. It will be interesting to see how everything comes together when Gerrard comes back. For me his best role is playing in the hole behind a single striker.

ASUcruz
August 20th, 2011, 10:14 PM

That was a beautiful free kick by Taylor. They looked horrible in the 1st half IMO. Possession was like 63-37 after 45. At the end of the day, they still got 3 points and for a short period of time at least, they are 1st in the Premiership! :)

Sunderland need Wickham to develop quickly. I though Gyan and Sessegnon were pretty good today but they don't seem to have that ruthlessness in front of the net that the great strikers possess. Ever since they sold Bent they have missed that cutting edge.

Also Lee Cattermole is one of the dirtiest player's in the prem. Not sure how he doesn't get sent off in every game he plays.

ASUcruz
August 20th, 2011, 10:19 PM
Maybe Spurs can do everyone a favor and beat United on Monday. If Wolves or Bolton win tomorrow they would be top of the table.

Should be a nervy game with both Vidic and Rio out. Smalling was fantastic last year but he was always played with an experienced partner, mostly Vidic occsionally Rio. When he partnered Evans against West Ham, United were taken to the woodshed.

With a year under his belt he should be fine but I am pretty nervous about potentially starting Smalling and Jones against Spurs. They are the future but are still young, I'd be a lot less nervous if Van Der Saar was still in goal... At least Evra is back, I'm hoping Ferguson plays Smalling and Jones at center half with Fabio playing at RB. I would be nervous if they keep Smalling at RB with him having to defend 1 V 1 against Bale and Evans partnering Jones.

For this one I think Ferguson will go with his European 4-3-3 and bring Carrick back into the side.

ASUcruz
August 20th, 2011, 10:57 PM
QPR beat Everton?!?! Great job by QPR's defense and keeper for the clean sheet.

I felt like QPR had one chance the entire game but they took it well.

Beckford had an awful game up front, first touch was atrocious the entire game. Moyes must have been nervous about Arteta's fitness after picking up a knock, Heitinga and Rodwell not creative enough in the center of the park.

I was very impressed by Ross Barkley very promising young player.

Unfortunate Moyes hasn't really been allowed to invest in the team, Everton have some nice pieces but desperatly need some reinforcements, especially up front.

Iron Duke
August 21st, 2011, 10:00 AM
Gaaaaaaaaah, 2-0 to Wolves?! confused:

I wish Jol would just put Hughes back with Hangeland in the back, but the midfield control has truly been brutal for Fulham so far. Etuhu and Sidwell aren't going to get us anywhere. Then again, with the way Schwarzer was vacating the net, Stephen Hawking could have put 2 in on us today.

European play always screws this team up. And having to play in the Ukraine this week, then come back to play Newcastle...going to be a rocky start to the campaign.

Kings Provisional
August 22nd, 2011, 12:59 PM

They look awful. I don't know what the hell Wenger is thinking but he better take that money that he got from the Fàbregas transfer and what he will get from the soon to be transferred Nasri and SPEND.

His dithering is driving me crazy. He is standing around while Arsenal implodes.

ASUcruz
August 23rd, 2011, 09:20 AM
BBC Sport - Manchester City agree deal for Arsenal's Samir Nasri (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/14628121.stm)

ucsdguy1
August 23rd, 2011, 12:19 PM
who gets boo'd more, Nasri or Wenger?

Modric needs to get his "head right"?

At least Friedel looked pretty good....?

ASUcruz
August 23rd, 2011, 02:43 PM
who gets boo'd more, Nasri or Wenger?

The whole Nasri thing was odd from the start. How was he allowed to enter his final year of his contract? Why wasn't he locked up to a longer term a year ago? I can't blame him for leaving, sure he is getting a hefty pay raise but Man City are going one direction (unfortunately) and Arsenal are going the other.

Modric needs to get his "head right"?

At least Friedel looked pretty good....?

Have to admit, although Modric was out and Spurs were playing an unspiring CM duo of Krancjar and Livermore I was still nervous about this game since Fridel has stood on his head and denied United victory a couple times before with Villa and Blackburn.

This was a really open game, very fun to watch. Spurs had their moments but United defended well and eventually they ran out of gas and were worn down. Jones was very impressive in his home debut and Evans looks like he has his confidence back. Smalling did pretty well against Bale, I had said I was nervous about him going 1 on 1 against him but he held his own and I think his physicality bothered Bale.

Spurs couldn't handle United's tempo and their lack of depth hurt them. Playing Defoe on his own is usually a bad idea, especially without Modric in the side to link play.

Overall very pleased with United's performance, Rooney looks sharp and Welbeck was a deserved man of he match. Took his goal well and his backheel to Anderson for the second was very classy. Anderson looks very improved he and Cleverly look likes like they are developing a nice partnership. Still don't think they can play together against top MFs like City's or Chelsea's but they can do the job at home and/or against weaker opponents when United will dominate possession.

ASUcruz
August 23rd, 2011, 02:44 PM
Adebayor is the new Anelka. Sounds like he is on his way to Spurs on loan.

Crazy_Ivan
August 23rd, 2011, 11:48 PM
How many times I have been shot down by Arsenal fans for saying Wenger is a stubborn so and so who does not want to see what is right in front of him, people can see what Arsenal need/needed and now his building a team through youth policy is in tatters because his two most talented younger players have left. The gulf between him and Ferguson is massive, United had holes to fill and they did it in a timely manner and they are off and running. Wenger is pxxsing about so much and then yesterday he has the audacity to say he has great new players in the team like Chamberlain and Gervihno. If he believes those two(Right now) can fill that gulf then maybe he is dellusional rather than stubborn.

Ferguson plugged the gaps and consistently marries a team that has youth, experience and grit, Wenger has his French stubborn b.s. ways and he is ruining a great club. I honestly believe if he had a Christopher Samba or Cahill in his Carling cup final team last year he would have won that game.

/

VEGASKING
August 24th, 2011, 03:13 AM
ASU, unfortunately Arsenal do not employ a Luca Brasi to ensure either his signature or his brains would be on a new contract. Nasri did not want to sign a new contract. Period. They were in talks all last season until he broke them off in February. He dragged this out and left the club in a bad position. He still got an 110,000 per week offer that matched Fabregas' deal and he turned it down. Luckily City was willing to hugely overpay for him.

ASUcruz
August 24th, 2011, 07:26 AM
ASU, unfortunately Arsenal do not employ a Luca Brasi to ensure either his signature or his brains would be on a new contract. Nasri did not want to sign a new contract. Period. They were in talks all last season until he broke them off in February. He dragged this out and left the club in a bad position. He still got an 110,000 per week offer that matched Fabregas' deal and he turned it down. Luckily City was willing to hugely overpay for him.

Salary shouldn't be an issue for Arsenal anyways, this is a big club and it is crazy to think that they Wegner should be playing by some rules bases on principles about money. I don't think Nasri is worth the money he got from City and it was pretty good business to sell a player who was probably going to leave on a free at the year for about 20 mil + especially one who really has only had half a brilliant year (last year) mixed in with inconsistent performances the two years before, but it really should have never gotten to this point.

I don't think it is solely about money either, yes City gave him a significant raise but Nasri wants to win. Do you think he would have been more inclined to stay had Arsene bought more significant reinforcements this year or the year before?

ASUcruz
August 24th, 2011, 07:27 AM
Nice Godfather reference by the way

Crazy_Ivan
August 24th, 2011, 08:17 AM
Nasri and Fabregas going is no bad thing, certainly it is good riddance(IMO) to anybody that does not want to play for Arsenal and I think good money was made on both sales, but not having a replacement already on the roster is just terrible. There is also a story doing the rounds that Wenger is being very snobbish in that some of his back-room staff want Scott Parker signed and Wenger does not believe he is good enough. I think Parker would be a great signing, he will not win Arsenal a Champions league but he provides injury depth and would be excellent in those games against the smaller teams.

Wenger is excellent at buying cheaper younger talent and developing them, but if he does not buy ready to go players he will never win the league again. He has deffinately lost his way recently.

VEGASKING
August 24th, 2011, 01:57 PM
Arsenal fans can breathe easy now. Massive save by Szczesny on that Di Natale pk. Half an hour of real nervous time ahead if that went in.

Wenger would like to be able to offer more competitive wages to bring in the bigger name players but the board won't allow it. With Fagregas gone van Persie is the high earner at only 80,000 per week and still they have the 3rd highest wage bill in the league. Though I'd imagine Liverpool is higher this season but still.

Arsenal have made bids of 20 and 25m euros on Yann M'Vila of Rennes. The first was rejected and the latter was just made today. He'd be an excellent buy. I wouldn't mind Parker as a last resort and his price is only supposed to be 6m pounds.

ucsdguy1
August 24th, 2011, 02:08 PM
If Adebayor scored against arsenal for tottenham and ran over to their fans to celebrate....someone might die

ASUcruz
August 24th, 2011, 05:19 PM
Wenger would like to be able to offer more competitive wages to bring in the bigger name players but the board won't allow it. With Fagregas gone van Persie is the high earner at only 80,000 per week and still they have the 3rd highest wage bill in the league. Though I'd imagine Liverpool is higher this season but still.

So if Wilshere demands 150,000 a week will he be destined to leave? At some point Wegner has to take a stand against his board and demand higher salaries be paid out to remain competitive don't you think? He is obviously a big enough personality within the club to do his. Are you worried that your best players will always end up leaving because of pay?

Arsenal have made bids of 20 and 25m euros on Yann M'Vila of Rennes. The first was rejected and the latter was just made today. He'd be an excellent buy. I wouldn't mind Parker as a last resort and his price is only supposed to be 6m pounds.

M'Vila would be a good get, a player I want United to buy. He and Song would give Arsenal two solid center mids as well as depth since they would only have to deploy one against weaker teams.

If Arsenal successfully buy M'Vila, Hazard, and Cahill/Jagielka they would have the pieces for a potential title contending team to go along with Wilshere, Van Persie, Gervinho, etc. I think they would still lack depth in certain areas but they would at least be on their way back into the right direction.

Parker is a good player with a great mindset. He is a very useful squad player, doesn't necessarily fit in Arsenal's passing game but he will put in an honest shift and is a good player to have around especially against the likes of Stoke and West Brom.

ASUcruz
August 24th, 2011, 06:18 PM
From the Mail so who knows if it is true, fun to speculate though

Arsenal fail with Kaka loan move as Real Madrid insist on permanent deal for Brazilian | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2029795/Arsenal-fail-Kaka-loan-Real-Madrid-insist-permanent-deal-Brazilian.html)

Kaka has never looked the same since his knee injury though. At his peak it was if he was gliding along the pitch, haven't seen that in awhile. Be interesting if anything comes of this.

Crazy_Ivan
August 26th, 2011, 02:48 AM
Perhaps I am being harsh on Wenger and this cluster is down to the board, but being 5 points down on Man City, Man Utd and 3 down against Chelsea already is poor, I think this will be one of the most competitive seasons ever this year and going in to a game against United with the kind of players they have will possibly mean they are 8 points down against the big boys with only 3 games played.

Pagliacci
August 26th, 2011, 08:27 PM
Anyone see that Supercup? Can't they find decent grass??? Anyhow, Messi.

Jaygokings!
August 27th, 2011, 08:31 AM
WOW anyone else just see Drogba get BLOWN up?

That was scary. Goalie runs out to punch the ball clear as drogba goes up to meet it with a header...goalie completely misses the punch and instead catches Drogba two fists side of the head. He was out cold before he even hit the ground. Stretcher, oxygen, bout a 7 minute stoppage. Scary scary stuff. He ragdolled after getting hit.

playing goalie growing up and through high school....you don't punch easy...and if you aren't gunna get the ball..get the man.

This would be huge for Norwich if they could hold this tie.

hyearch22
August 28th, 2011, 05:39 AM
That was scary as hell man. Drogba hit the floor HARD. It was obvious he was out cold as soon as the goalie hit him. Not something I wanted to see early in the morning. Apparently he suffered a mild concussion and his hospital stays short.

Mata's debut goal (in the 100') was pretty cool. Hopefully that'll make Torres jealous and man up

Crazy_Ivan
August 28th, 2011, 08:26 AM
Uniteds first goal is all about what Wenger has not replaced since Adams et al retired. How Welbeck manages to get in ahead of two centre backs to head that in is atrocious, it is such a soft goal to let in and Arsenal need a defender with some bxxxs.

Cross Traffic
August 28th, 2011, 08:44 AM
Their D is porous today. Been enjoying Man U beating Arsenal and Arsenal melting down.

Cross Traffic
August 28th, 2011, 09:27 AM
5-1!!!!! The Arsenal has no ammo left!!!

ASUcruz
August 28th, 2011, 09:28 AM
United have a young team out but this truly is men against boys

Iron Duke
August 28th, 2011, 09:31 AM
Haven't been an Arsenal fan since the Bergkamp days, but I've never seen a Gunners team like this. Shocking...

Crazy_Ivan
August 28th, 2011, 09:37 AM
I feel sorry for them.

Cross Traffic
August 28th, 2011, 09:51 AM
8-2 LOL!!!! They should have played their reserves, they might have actually put up a fight instead of cheap fouls and yellow cards.

Iron Duke
August 28th, 2011, 01:15 PM
Was the 8th marker in injury time REALLY necessary? I'll wager they kick dogs in their spare time for fun as well.

Cross Traffic
August 28th, 2011, 09:50 PM
I do agree the 8th goal was over the top.

ASUcruz
August 29th, 2011, 01:31 AM
What was Young supposed to do pull the ball back out? United had no reason to take their foot off the pedal. These are professionals who cares about running up the score.

Cross Traffic
August 29th, 2011, 09:09 AM
Arsenal played like a bunch of First Division scrubs out there, where was the defense?

ASUcruz
August 30th, 2011, 11:04 PM
Uniteds first goal is all about what Wenger has not replaced since Adams et al retired. How Welbeck manages to get in ahead of two centre backs to head that in is atrocious, it is such a soft goal to let in and Arsenal need a defender with some bxxxs.

Yea, that was pretty embarrassing. You're right no way Tony Adams or Sol Campbell gets out-muscled for that ball. No doubt about it, Arsenal have become softer as the years have gone on. Which is confusing since Wegner has to know how valuable Viera, Campbell, and even a guy like Gilberto was.

More importantly, Wegner has allowed his squad to whittle away. Now more then ever you need a squad of 25-30 players to win the league. Arsenal's squad has shrunk and he has very little veterans. Most of the squad consist of reserve players with almost no first team experience. Obviously, Arsenal had players injured and suspended but the bench they had on Sunday was comical.

Pagliacci
August 31st, 2011, 09:18 PM
What do people think about the Transfer Window deals? Arteta to Arsenal is very interesting. Chelsea did well again...

Iron Duke
August 31st, 2011, 10:07 PM
What do people think about the Transfer Window deals? Arteta to Arsenal is very interesting. Chelsea did well again...

I think Arteta is a nice piece, and has really got some talent, but I'm not quite sure he'll be the home run signing that Arsenal fans are waiting for. I really like the Miereles signing for Chelsea and am very, very pleased withe the Ruiz pick up for Fulham. Some interesting pick ups out of Stoke, QPR and Bolton also. I'm not as comfortable in my player knowledge across the board to make too firm a judgment though. Redknapp might have dropped the ball a bit?

Crazy_Ivan
September 1st, 2011, 03:32 AM
A lot of news outlets here are saying Harry missed out a bit but I am not sure, Crouchie would have been worth keeping as depth, but Adebayor when playing at his best is a great pickup as is Scott Parker, they certainly could have used Cahill from Bolton but I think Bolton are asking too much at 15 million for a guy with less than 12 months left on his contract.

A midfied of Bale, Lennon, Parker, Modric and Sandro with Pienaar, Bentley, Huddlestone and Krancjar as depth is arguably one of the best in the league. Don't think the same can be said at the back.

Pagliacci
September 1st, 2011, 10:10 AM
A lot of news outlets here are saying Harry missed out a bit but I am not sure, Crouchie would have been worth keeping as depth, but Adebayor when playing at his best is a great pickup as is Scott Parker, they certainly could have used Cahill from Bolton but I think Bolton are asking too much at 15 million for a guy with less than 12 months left on his contract.

A midfied of Bale, Lennon, Parker, Modric and Sandro with Pienaar, Bentley, Huddlestone and Krancjar as depth is arguably one of the best in the league. Don't think the same can be said at the back.

Arsenal & Tottenham are not quite at the sword yet, but they both need some points this weekend. Premiere League is way more exciting than any other league that's for sure.

Anybody watch Sky News yesterday afternoon? Laughs all around watching Stoke City fans get all crazy for Peter Crouch. Good for them! :)

Jaygokings!
September 1st, 2011, 02:00 PM
Lookin at the transfers.

I think Stoke, QPR definitely got better.

Arsenal made some good moves. As did Bolton. Although Newcastle lost Barton, we picked up a replacement (finally) for Jose Enrique with grabbing Santon. I just wish Freiburg hadn't rejected our Cisse bid. He and Demba Ba up front would have been so ridiculously fun to watch

chu gar
September 1st, 2011, 04:06 PM
The deadline deals weren't very spectacular in my view, but I feel Liverpool did a great job overall during the transfer window. They picked up decent, to great players in every area they needed help in, and they got younger and faster. No way they win the title, but I can see some cup runs, and perhaps a return to the CL with this team. I am particularly excited about Sebastian Coates. The man is a beast, and at 20 years old can only get better as the years go by. I can see nothing but progress from Liverpool from now on, and I am very excited about that. YNWA

ASUcruz
September 1st, 2011, 06:05 PM
I think Arteta is a nice piece, and has really got some talent, but I'm not quite sure he'll be the home run signing that Arsenal fans are waiting for.

Arteta is essentially a poor man's Fabergas. He is a nice player but don't think any of the other top 4 teams are dreading facing him in midfield. His technical ability fit what Arsenal do and they definitely needed that injection of skill with the loss of Nasri and Cesc. A midfield three of Arteta, Wilshere, and Song is solid but Arteta is a stop gap measure and I think his best football is behind him. At least their depth is improved a bit with Benayoun, Ramsey, Frimpong, and Diaby providing depth now.

They didn't address their forward situation though, not sure if Park Chou-Young is the answer.

Mertesacker is a good signing while Santos is a bit underwhelming. Good going forward, not very good defensively. Thought he was a liablity for Brazil in Copa.

I really like the Miereles signing for Chelsea

Meireles is a good player and I'm not sure why Liverpool were so keen to get rid of him. With Gerrard coming back from injury there is a bit of a log jam in midfield and perhaps Meireles wanted to leave and play for Villa Boas again but I don't think Liverpool are in a position to lose quality midfielders especially with Gerrard's tendency to get hurt and Adams' propensity to wear down as the season goes on.

He'll provide great depth for Chelsea and his versatility will be useful especially when the European schedule picks up. Plus with African Cup of Nations, Chelsea will lose Mikel so that depth will be useful. I'm a bit surprised Chelsea haven't loaned out McEachran for growth like Arsenal did with Wilshere and United did with Cleverly. I know they are high on him but they have a ton of top players in MF and it is hard to see him getting a lot of games in.

ASUcruz
September 1st, 2011, 06:34 PM

Crouch isn't a big loss, Adebayor, Defoe, and Pavlyuchenko is a decent enough strike force plus you have Van Der Vaart playing in the hole behind a lone striker and he can provide goals. The only catch for me is Defoe sucks as a lone striker and you are basically forced to play a 4-4-2 if he is in the side.

"One of the best in the league" is a bit of a stretch, Sandro is unproven over the long haul, in fact to me he is still plain unproven with just 19 apperencies in the prem and a handful of Champions League games under his belt. Lennon is a fantastic sprinter but he has never developed his end product. A Modric-Parker midfield duo should be able to control games but as good as Parker was last season, West Ham were still relegated. He is a good player with steel and enough skill in his game but he isn't an elite player by any means.

As far as depth, Bentley hasn't been a good player for three years and has been loaned out to West Ham, Pienaar hasn't settled in since his move from Everton (mostly due to injury).

I think Spurs have a pretty good midfield but I wouldn't call it one of the best in the Prem, since I don't think their depth is as good as you think.

Regarding Modric, it does make sense that Levy played hardball with him, since Spurs are only going to progress to the next step of being a big club if they keep their stars but if they go through this transfer saga again during the winter transfer window and next summer is it really worth it?

ASUcruz
September 1st, 2011, 06:44 PM
Lookin at the transfers.

I think Stoke, QPR definitely got better.

It will be fun to see Crouch play for Stoke if there was a player tailor made for what they try and do it is Crouch. He was probably worth the money just to get him on the end of Delap's throws!

QPR had nowhere to go but up, nice to see some investment in their team and now they at least have a fighting chance to stay up. I am interested to see if Shaun Wright-Phillips can regain some form if he gets a consistent run of games. If not we might see him in the MLS soon.

hyearch22
September 2nd, 2011, 01:31 AM
i think chelsea did a good job filling up the position they are weakest, which is midfield. There was absolutely no creativity/stability/consistency whatsoever in that position. but now you add Mata and Meireles they can finally bring the ball up to the attack. i hope they take away all of malouda's and kalou's playing time (most overated players imo). cant stand those guys.

Arsenal made some good moves too but that teams was so depleted that they HAD to bring some talent to stay on the top 4 convo. Santos, arteta, mertsacker and bennayoun (loan) are good pick ups but i dont know if theyll be able to gel to actually contend.

And i think Inter getting Forlan to replace Eto'o is gonna be big for them. Pretty sure Forlan is gonna go off in serie a, especially with all of that talent around him.

with all that being said i would just like to add... GO CHELSEA!

Jaygokings!
September 2nd, 2011, 10:32 PM
It will be fun to see Crouch play for Stoke if there was a player tailor made for what they try and do it is Crouch. He was probably worth the money just to get him on the end of Delap's throws!

QPR had nowhere to go but up, nice to see some investment in their team and now they at least have a fighting chance to stay up. I am interested to see if Shaun Wright-Phillips can regain some form if he gets a consistent run of games. If not we might see him in the MLS soon.

Seriously, Crouch is gunna fit like a tailor made glove in Stoke. They aren't a run and gun style and a lot of times I felt teams were trying to either A) make Crouch play that way or B) using him situationally. I just think of how it went with Liverpool....I mean they paired the poor bastard up front with Fernando Torres and expected him to keep pace?

He and Kenwyne Jones are going to work much better.

PS: the real reason I came here to post, what did you guys think of the Costa Rica game? Even though we didn't get the result....much more impressed with the possession style we are trying to play instead of the garbage AYSO kick and chase crap we have been watching for the last 10 years and helped promote players like Demarcus Beasley....

KHenry14
September 3rd, 2011, 09:46 AM
PS: the real reason I came here to post, what did you guys think of the Costa Rica game? Even though we didn't get the result....much more impressed with the possession style we are trying to play instead of the garbage AYSO kick and chase crap we have been watching for the last 10 years and helped promote players like Demarcus Beasley....

I'm with you, the first 30 minutes was some of the best soccer I've seen the USMNT play in many years....this despite the fact that Landon Donovan had a terrible game. The problem is that after that, they played flat and uninspired.

A few thoughts on some of the players...

Timmy Chandler looks like the real deal Right Back. We need to lock this kid up as a USA player the first chance we get.

Edgar Castillo is not ready for prime time at left back. Too many turnovers, too small, gets muscled off the ball way too easily.

Michael Orozco Fiscal is a waste at Center Back. Omar Gonzalez would have been a far better choice in that slot.

Robbie Rogers was a disaster on the right wing. Horrible first touch cost him again and again. Good news is that when the full side is together, no way he sees the pitch.

I am intregued by Brek Shea. He offers a tough match-up because of his size, but he needs to play better positionally and to make better decisions

Jaygokings!
September 3rd, 2011, 10:02 AM
I'm with you, the first 30 minutes was some of the best soccer I've seen the USMNT play in many years....this despite the fact that Landon Donovan had a terrible game. The problem is that after that, they played flat and uninspired.

A few thoughts on some of the players...

Timmy Chandler looks like the real deal Right Back. We need to lock this kid up as a USA player the first chance we get.

Edgar Castillo is not ready for prime time at left back. Too many turnovers, too small, gets muscled off the ball way too easily.

Michael Orozco Fiscal is a waste at Center Back. Omar Gonzalez would have been a far better choice in that slot.

Robbie Rogers was a disaster on the right wing. Horrible first touch cost him again and again. Good news is that when the full side is together, no way he sees the pitch.

I am intregued by Brek Shea. He offers a tough match-up because of his size, but he needs to play better positionally and to make better decisions

I agree with everything you said here. Brek Shea also has a real nice touch to him. He needs to get used to the pressure of the international level....as usual it would do this kid wonders to go play in Europe. Good size, good first touch...his decision making would be heightened so much if he went to EPL or La Liga. I know this sounds kind of forward but Shea reminds me a lot of Bastian Schweinsteiger. Big guy, strong on the ball, and if you remember right back when Bastian (well i remember following him when he started with Bayern) he had awful decision making and tried to force the play far too often.

Edit: Didn't know this but Shea trained with Bolton back in 07. Go back young man! Go back! MLS is a black hole!

AND from an interview he did here http://theshinguardian.com/2011/03/23/a-jack-of-all-trades-a-quick-chat-with-brek-shea/

TSG: What are your long-term plans? Do you have plans to try and make it in Europe? What’s a good destination league or team for you?
Brek Shea: Well as a soccer player my goals are to play in Europe, but as of right now I’m focused on this season. Hopefully in the future when the time is right, I will play in Europe, but who knows when that will be. I would like to play in one of the big leagues and hopefully I can focus on doing and improving on what I do every day so that I can get there eventually.

GOOD.

ASUcruz
September 3rd, 2011, 06:52 PM
i think chelsea did a good job filling up the position they are weakest, which is midfield. There was absolutely no creativity/stability/consistency whatsoever in that position. but now you add Mata and Meireles they can finally bring the ball up to the attack. i hope they take away all of malouda's and kalou's playing time (most overated players imo). cant stand those guys.

Mata brings a much needed injection of creativity to the Chelsea attack. If they are intent on playing a 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 to accomodate Torres, Mata is essential. I would give him a free role similar to what City do with Silva where he starts the game at LW but has liscense to roam the field and create. As I have reiniterated before, Torres was/is at his best with a creative force behind him in the hole. For Liverpool that was Gerrard and Mata should be able to play that role for Chelsea.

As fa as Malouda and Kalou, I have never been impressed by Kalou he is too much of a tweener for me. Never know whether he is trying to be a striker or winger and he ends up being mediocre at both. Malouda though, after a slow start I think he's been a really solid player for Chelsea. In 2009-10 I thought he was one of Chelsea's top players and he played well in a lot of big games.

empire
September 3rd, 2011, 07:27 PM

Great news for Stoke after their FA Cup run last year, they also signed his former teammates Palacios and Woodgate from Spurs and Jerome from Birmingham.
I grew up watching Stoke in the first division with Stanley Matthews and later Gordon Banks.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRa868d0z9R3rKts83Pl7_bmesEcE_Fs pUdP6M2t3wh0EQNDhN_
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngE9RCAdWaE&feature=player_detailpage

ASUcruz
September 3rd, 2011, 07:37 PM

It was nice to see the United States play with fluidity and speed. The attack has looked promising in two games and should only get better when Dempsey and Holden are back in the mix. The problem right now is the defense. We had better start developing some centerbacks and soon. Bocanegra is still useful for now but come the next World Cup he will be well past his prime. Tim Ream, Omar Gonzalez, and George John need to get looks ASAP. Orozco Fiscal was pretty bad last night after an average performance against Mexico. I don't think it is his best position and his form has been average at best at CB, but it might not be a bad option to try Edu at CB again. With the depth we have at CM it might be his best chance to play for the national team.

ASUcruz
September 3rd, 2011, 08:12 PM

Agreed, some fine attacking soccer in the first half, unfortunately the finish was poor. Donovan was not very good against Costa Rica and he is miscast as a central attacking midfielder. Donovan has the tendency to drift in and out of games, something you simply cannot afford to do when you play in the middle of the park. When he doesn't recieve service he doesn't drop deep to retrieve the ball and disappears. To get the best out of him we need him playing wide right or wide left where he can use his pace to to beat defenders and where one of his strengths (quick intelligent runs off the ball) are highlighted.

The US got complacent in the second half and Shea probably our main attacking outlet ran out of gas. Rogers provided nothing on the right and Donovan disappeared. At least it was promising for awhile and like I mentioned before things will only get better when Holden and Dempsey are back in the 11.

I think we'll be alright with Chandler, he's stated that his goal is to make the US Team's World Cup roster and it doens't look like Germany is pursuing him. Anyways, I don't think he is on the fringe of the Germany National Team either.

His pace and energy are exciting. One on one defending he is pretty good he is still just a bit naive positionally defensively. Something that is only fixed with experience and coaching. He should be fine going forward but in a must win game I would still expect Cherendolo to start at RB.

Castillo is just flat out terrible. These last two games are enough for me to say that he isn't good enough at the international level. His crossing was piss poor and his giveaways at the back were just terrible. I don't neccesairly mind a giveaways from a defender if he is trying ambitious balls forward to spring an attack but all of Castillo's giveaways are just careless.

Rogers is a serial underachiever for all his skills he has never put all of them together. I feel the only reason he started was because he scored against Mexico when he really didn't do much for the goal.

Shea has been a revelation, he is having a breakout year for FC Dallas and that form is transitioning to the National Team. It is a bit ironic that the only reason he was able to breakout as an attacking player was due to an injury to David Ferreira. He started the year playing CB!

I don't know if his size is a main attribute of his since he doesn't really play big. He is hard to knock off the ball but his pace and dribbling make him dangerous.

ASUcruz
September 3rd, 2011, 08:52 PM
I agree with everything you said here. Brek Shea also has a real nice touch to him. He needs to get used to the pressure of the international level....as usual it would do this kid wonders to go play in Europe. Good size, good first touch...his decision making would be heightened so much if he went to EPL or La Liga.

Going to Europe always seems like a great idea it doens't Shea or the National Team any good if he leaves and sits on a bench. You say the MLS is a blackhole, so is Europe when US players leave and languish on the bench. Adu left MLS and his career was put on hold for quite some time. MLS is getting a bad rap around this thread. Obviously it isn't a top tier league but I don't think it's that far off from the Championship or SPL and it is certainly better than these Scandinavian teams some of our players are at. The main advantage the Championship and SPL has over the MLS is the amount of games they play and occasionally the chance to play in Europe which is irrelevant this year since Rangers (Edu, Bocanegra, and Bedoya) were knocked out of Europa.

Was it really beneficial for Bedoya to play in Sweden? Probably for his bank account but not for his soccer career. You say Shea should go to England or La Liga to further his career. I agree that would be a great thing but it's obviously not that easy. First off he's basically had one good season in the MLS and is barely breaking into the national team picture now. Don't think first division teams in England and Spain will be knocking at the door to get him. Secondly he'd have to get a work permit to play in England (hard to get, must play in 75% of your national team's internationals in the past year). Shea would undoubtedly get rejected for a work permit, he could win on appeal but it would be unlikely. In La Liga teams have a limited amount of non EU slots on a matchday roster. Again is Shea worth using one of those slots for? As of now probably not. As it stands the most realistic options for Shea are the smaller teams in Europe which aren't neccesarily superior to MLS.

I know this sounds kind of forward but Shea reminds me a lot of Bastian Schweinsteiger. Big guy, strong on the ball, and if you remember right back when Bastian (well i remember following him when he started with Bayern) he had awful decision making and tried to force the play far too often.

Don't really see it, first off Schweinsteiger isn't all that big. Schweinsteiger was two footed from the start, starting his career on the left wing despite being right footed while Shea almost exclusively a left sided player. Schweinsteiger has always possessed an outstanding shot while Shea scores most of his goals on the end of through balls or after runs with the ball. I really don't see the comparison although it would be nice if Shea develops into that type of player, but it seems unlikely.

hyearch22
September 6th, 2011, 09:31 PM
The US laid a massive egg today. i was very disappointed.

It was cool to Lukaku get in the game. he looks like hes going to develop into a solid player.

empire
September 10th, 2011, 12:24 PM
Great win by Stoke today, 1 - 0 over Liverpool....

Undefeated in the first 4 games..

GO POTTERS

ucsdguy1
September 12th, 2011, 09:15 AM
man

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/55282000/jpg/_55282250_adebayor.jpg

Jaygokings!
September 12th, 2011, 02:04 PM
Just finished watching QPR-Newcastle on ESPN3 (which is fantastic quality by the way for a online stream)

god damn QPR looks good. 0-0 but it should rightfully have been about 3-0. QPR had dozens of chances. Shaun Wright-Phillips was playing like a man posessed. Joey Barton was Joey Barton. Traore was great for Rangers as well. And WOW Adel Taarabt out of Morocco...the kid can PLAY. So much skill. Hadn't seen him play really til today.

Great point for Newcastle on the road, they were not the better team but they got it done. Obertan and Best were in great form today.

Seriously though the moves that QPR have made. Solid squad now. I fully expect them to finish mid table this year if they can give consistent performances like that. Maybe even upper mid.

Damien C
September 12th, 2011, 05:59 PM
True, NUFC looked terrible in setting anything up offensively, and didn't look all that well-put-together defensively either. Tim Krul, Danny Simpson, and Coloccini and the ineptitude of the QPR offense are the only reason we walked away with a point. But, a point is a point, and you gotta take 'em anyway you can. Am I happy with the performance? No, we need more stability and play-making on offense. But I'll take this result. Howay the lads!

ASUcruz
September 16th, 2011, 12:18 AM
21' Doelpunt Jozy Altidore, AZ - Malm (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYWIVLDaP6U)

hyearch22
September 16th, 2011, 12:35 AM
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/09/13/article-2037014-0DDFD73500000578-595_634x388.jpg

chelsea @ old trafford on sunday. should be a fun game

kba4life2
September 16th, 2011, 06:52 PM
21' Doelpunt Jozy Altidore, AZ - Malm (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYWIVLDaP6U)

Incredible the amount of power some guys can generate. Almost standing still from about 30 yards out and it was past the goalkeeper before he had a chance to react. Hopefully Jozy can keep it up

Hckeyguy25
September 16th, 2011, 08:51 PM
Hopefully he can do this for the National Team

Crazy_Ivan
September 17th, 2011, 06:41 AM
Even after a horrible end to last season did anyone really think Arsenal's title challenge would be over after 5 games?

ASUcruz
September 17th, 2011, 10:36 AM
Hopefully he can do this for the National Team

Yea, exactly

ucsdguy1
September 19th, 2011, 08:52 AM
Adebayor scoring again?

Those tottenham/arsenal games are going to be fun this year

Iron Duke
September 19th, 2011, 03:55 PM
Cannot believe we tied Man City! Especially after being down 2-0! WTG Cottagers!

Poor Nando, I thought he had some of his old quality, and was slicing through the Man U defense at times, and then to miss that gimme. Ugh...

Pagliacci
September 20th, 2011, 07:35 PM
Even after a horrible end to last season did anyone really think Arsenal's title challenge would be over after 5 games?

Nope. Although waiting too long to replace Cesc and Nasri was pretty dumb. Why aren't they spending? Didn't they build the Emirates for that reason???

Crazy_Ivan
September 24th, 2011, 12:38 AM
Nope. Although waiting too long to replace Cesc and Nasri was pretty dumb. Why aren't they spending? Didn't they build the Emirates for that reason???

They are sticking to a very noble yet silly notion thaT football will implode, people will realise they can't run football like a hobby and Arsenal will be the beacon of light showing everyone how a well run football team should look. The problem is the whole lets concentrate and spend most of our money on youth policy has not worked and is not working, firstly you have a group of young players that have never reall translated young talent into serviceable players at Arsenal like Djorou and then you have two supremely talented players who just as they are hitting their peak have run off to play for their childhood team/money. Who really says Oxlade Chamberlain, Frimpong and Wilshere(Should they all relaise their talent) not do a runner when some big petro-bucks team throws money at them?

OvertimeHero
September 26th, 2011, 05:06 AM
Nice to see Newcastle having such a good start to the season. I don't expect them to be in 4th come season's end, but they're making the most of it at this point and it's good to get a nice cushion going early on, as they tend to need it towards the end of the season.

2112Kings2112
September 27th, 2011, 01:08 AM
Is there any CELTIC FC Supporters on here?

Crazy_Ivan
September 27th, 2011, 01:42 PM
Anyone catch the moment that little douche Tevez refused to warm up?

Iron Duke
September 27th, 2011, 08:47 PM
Thought it would take just a little longer for the discontents to start popping up at City, though I'm not surprised. Poor showing by them today. Mancini needs to get it turned around, I'm not sure getting bounced in the group stage is going to be acceptable with that payroll.

And did Man U ever let the guard slip today? Should be a wake up call for them.

Crazy_Ivan
September 28th, 2011, 06:33 AM
Some of the reaction over here.

"Harry Redknapp on the Carlos Tevez affair. It's 'beyond belief.' Roberto Mancini 'should not have been put in that position. Unbelievable!'"

Graeme Souness reacting furiously. "He (Tevez) is one bad apple," the Scot said on Sky Sports. "He can undo all the good work that has been done (at City). He's a disgrace to football. He epitomises what most people think is wrong with modern football. "It is totally unacceptable. He's a football player and he is paid to play. "He is refusing to help his team-mates. It's all about him, him, him."

.Stefan Effenberg says "That player would never play in the same club as me again - that goes without saying," he told Germany's Sky television. "There is a clear order from the coach and he disregards it. "That is poor behaviour and the club has got to come down hard on it."

Former Everton and Scotland international Andy Gray said on talkSPORT about Tevez: "I don't care what excuses he comes out with now. I'm not interested in that after what he did. He won't be in the squad again. "You can't do what he did - it was so disrespectful, so unprofessional. I've never known anything like that. How are they going to get #45m for him now? Why do you think Fergie got rid of him?

I can't say I know much about Mancini, he apparently was difficult as a player himself on occasion, perhaps he is tough to play for, but up until yesterday he never aired any dirty laundry in public like his troublesome players did. I thought that with all the off field shennanigans his players put the team through last season he did a good job to get them to 3rd and I think with the talent he has and the experience his team has they are about where they should be at the moment. Last night was a head scratcher, both in the tactics he adopted and the substitutions he made but boy did Dzeko, Tevez and Zabaleta pxxx me off and have the utmost sympathy for Mancini.

Dawdler
October 2nd, 2011, 03:25 PM
COYS!!!
http://dlstatic.speedtv.com/imageserve/014RdoB2Jr8eQ/350x.jpg

ucsdguy1
October 3rd, 2011, 08:57 AM
Love it.

It's been a long time since I've seen Arsenal give away so many passes in midfield like that.

Modric sure was smiling a bit :)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/316918_10150335644198505_351687753504_8332185_8523 15924_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/298552_10150335644253505_351687753504_8332186_4783 24381_n.jpg

French-Fan
October 9th, 2011, 08:32 AM
Arsenal are doing everything wrong at the moment...
And Tottenham is a young team wich keeps getting better. They managed to keep Bale who is their best player and the've built a strong team around...
Even if this year, Manchester teams are better, I wouldn't be surprised if Tottenham ended up in the top 5 with Liverpool...

kba4life2
October 10th, 2011, 08:27 PM
The US team looked pretty solid against Honduras. Dempsey had a nice finish, and, besides his horrific miss, Brek Shea was a standout once again. I don't think Donovan, Dempsey and Shea have all started a game together, could be onto something if the 3 of them can find some chemistry

Pagliacci
October 11th, 2011, 06:04 PM
USA looks pretty ugly tonight from what I've seen. I want Bob Bradley back... JK

Too many long balls, too many individual touches, etc. No chemistry from what I'm seeing and yes I know it's only been a few games.

ucsdguy1
October 19th, 2011, 09:06 AM
United’s Charlie Davies files $20 million lawsuit - The Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/united/uniteds-charlie-davies-files-20-million-lawsuit/2011/10/18/gIQA3C7WvL_story.html)

wow

Diehard
November 10th, 2011, 03:15 PM
Ballon d'Or nominees

Barcelona and Real Madrid dominate Ballon d'Or shortlist - ESPN Soccernet (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/977833/barcelona-and-real-madrid-dominate-ballon-d%27or-shortlist?cc=5901)

Kings Provisional
November 20th, 2011, 09:44 PM
Arsenal is 7-0-1 in their last eight. I really thought Wenger was going to get blown out but he seems to have turned it around for now, the Gunners are within striking distance of a top four finish if he keeps up this up.

And congrats to the LA Galaxy for winning the MLS Championship. (Keane was onside, it should have been 2-nil)

OvertimeHero
November 30th, 2011, 05:28 AM
Haven't posted in a while, been too busy enjoying Newcastle's unlikely start to the season. They were quite fortunate with that phantom penalty against Man U last week, but if they can get by Chelsea this weekend, their schedule eases up a little for the next few weeks.

Really surprised at how Arsenal has turned it around. They seem to have found their stride, lucky for Wenger.

Not sure why Villas-Boas is under so much pressure at this point. Sure Chelsea isn't top of the table, but they're still in the mix for the league title, and they're still in the Champions League. Is the Chelsea owner that crazy? Granted, the only Chelsea fixture I've watched this season was against Arsenal a few weeks back, and no, they didn't look good. Has that been the case all season?

Crazy_Ivan
December 1st, 2011, 05:42 AM
If Van Persie gets injured they will suck again. They need a striker who can put the ball in the net when Van Persie is not there.

ucsdguy1
December 1st, 2011, 09:08 AM
that was quite the "s***y" loss for Tottenham against PAOK yesterday. Pretty much at 2-1 was 60 minutes of spurs onslaught, yet no goals. (aside from defoe's goal called back that might have been offside, might have been a foul, or might have been a valid goal with no big explanation from the ref).

OvertimeHero
December 1st, 2011, 09:26 AM
Wow...I know Man U fielded their "B" squad, but losing to Crystal Palace, who can barely win in the Championship...ouch.

Crazy_Ivan
December 1st, 2011, 09:49 AM
I know I got a WTF from Cruz at the start of the season but I stand by what I said, Spurs midfield is now IMO the 2nd best in the league and has some depth too.

ucsdguy1
December 28th, 2011, 08:59 AM
Finally bale!

Diehard
January 19th, 2012, 03:03 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wlxhqZ9-SA

Hopefully Barca can move up in the standings, seems like we always play well against Real Madrid and slack off against the teams we should crush

ucsdguy1
January 23rd, 2012, 10:14 AM
brutal, brutal tottenham game yesterday.

Cross Traffic
February 5th, 2012, 09:54 AM
What a monumental CHOKE by Chelsea!!!!! Man U comes back from 3 down to tie!!!!

VEGASKING
February 6th, 2012, 10:55 PM
http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Football/Pix/pictures/2011/1/9/1294598017940/Howard-Webb---Twitter-007.jpg

ASUcruz
February 11th, 2012, 08:42 AM
http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Football/Pix/pictures/2011/1/9/1294598017940/Howard-Webb---Twitter-007.jpg

If that were true Cahill would have been sent off...

VEGASKING
February 11th, 2012, 06:38 PM
Chelsea, Liverpool and Newcastle all lose and look who is back in the top 4.

Diehard
February 26th, 2012, 12:24 AM
This video goes in depth about how Barcelona's style of play is so beautiful. I think any football fan would appreciate this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AiyUfxId90

Stormy2213
February 29th, 2012, 02:35 PM
Great win by the USNMT against Italy today. Watched it streaming on ESPN. Dempsey and Shea looked great. Altidore was hit and miss. Overall, great win. And, 4th in a row. Good things happening my friends!

kba4life2
February 29th, 2012, 03:08 PM
I didn't see the game but impressive stuff for the US. Keep it up!

ucsdguy1
February 29th, 2012, 03:33 PM
forza!

http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m06dwtjq6d1r1fq7do1_500.gif

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m06jhc2qj01qe0saso2_r1_500.gif

Dawdler
February 29th, 2012, 09:35 PM
and even more good news the U.S under 23 (Olympic team) beat Mexico under 23 2-0 tonight in Frisco, Tx, great day to be a U.S. Supporter

Diehard
March 18th, 2012, 01:38 AM
Thoughts and prayers to Fabrice Muamba

Bolton's Fabrice Muamba collapses, carried off; FA Cup game stopped - ESPN (http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/story/_/id/7701929/bolton-fabrice-muamba-collapses-carried-fa-cup-game-stopped)

ucsdguy1
March 19th, 2012, 11:38 AM
that was really bizarre watching while it happened. Liked both sets of fans chanting his name. Hope he recovers

ucsdguy1
March 23rd, 2012, 09:38 AM
US beat Cuba 6-0 in first olympic qualifier last night. Yeah, cuba really sucks. But this team is actually pretty fun to watch.

good read:

Caleb Porter's United States Olympic squad eager to break from old traditions - News | FOX Sports on MSN (http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/usa/story/caleb-porter-united-states-olympic-squad-eager-to-break-from-old-american-traditions-032212)

kba4life2
March 25th, 2012, 09:45 PM
And then they promptly lose to...Canada. Surprisingly the nucks looked to have some decent talent out there but there's still no excuse to lose. I think with their win over Mexico a few weeks ago and the drubbing of Cuba they were eating up the obligatory hype

ucsdguy1
March 26th, 2012, 10:17 AM
seriously. what a let down.

must win against el salvador tonight (who beat cuba 4-0)

kba4life2
March 26th, 2012, 08:57 PM
Sean Johnson....WTF? Comedy of errors the last few minutes of that game. Porter not using subs when EVERYONE on the field was dead...no clearance from Shea...and then the goalie blunder, ouch. This team just didn't deserve to advance. I know a number of the best US prospects weren't made available by their European clubs but the lack of overall talent was kind of scary

ucsdguy1
March 27th, 2012, 10:09 AM
they just looked flat.

maybe the demolishing of cuba had these guys thinking they were better and more "entitled" then they actually are?

I don't think Adu looked comfortable on the right side, but at least he was trying to maintain possession.

Aside from the cross on the first goal, did Shea really do anything?

No goodwill from el salvador? How many times did I see them drop on 50/50 balls as though they had kneecaps or skulls blown off, and when no foul was called they jumped right back up?

very sad.

Diehard
April 2nd, 2012, 02:27 AM
http://i.imgur.com/AiC1p.png

KHenry14
April 2nd, 2012, 07:42 AM
The great Giorgio Chinaglia died yesterday. Just about the best finisher I've ever seen:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...tml?ref=sports

A legend in American AND Italian soccer...

empire
May 11th, 2012, 03:28 PM
Peter Crouch Amazing Volley Goal Stoke vs Manchester City HD - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=huXV_DA6ll0#t=6s)

darby
May 13th, 2012, 10:06 AM
http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss157/keris-As/Manchester%20City/ManCity_Logo.jpg

ucsdguy1
May 14th, 2012, 08:58 AM
that was insane

kba4life2
May 15th, 2012, 02:57 PM
Well, Tim Chandler is officially a prick

TattooedSean
May 17th, 2012, 10:02 PM
I love the sport. I have since I started playing it and watching it around 1980 when I was 10.
I watch many leagues overseas as well as the MLS over here.

My number one team for about almost 5 years is Borussia Dortmund in Germany. I have been there to attend some matches and that is an amazing atmosphere in a great stadium!!:dancing_cube:

Crazy_Ivan
May 18th, 2012, 12:09 AM
I love the sport. I have since I started playing it and watching it around 1980 when I was 10.
I watch many leagues overseas as well as the MLS over here.

My number one team for about almost 5 years is Borussia Dortmund in Germany. I have been there to attend some matches and that is an amazing atmosphere in a great stadium!!:dancing_cube:

http://www.yourlogoresources.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/bayern-munich-logo.png

Dortmund however are a great team in a great league.

Dawdler
May 18th, 2012, 07:59 PM
I'll be pulling hard for Bayern tomorrow get it done boys!!!

and I enjoy watching the Bundesliga, its one of the four leagues I follow.

TattooedSean
May 19th, 2012, 02:18 AM
http://www.yourlogoresources.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/bayern-munich-logo.png

Dortmund however are a great team in a great league.

Even though we have now won 5 straight over Bayern including the Cup win last weekend for the double, I will root for Munich today as I don't want that scummy blue London club anywhere near the Champions League next year.

kba4life2
May 25th, 2012, 11:40 PM
USA vs Scotland! Hopefully they can take it to em

KHenry14
May 27th, 2012, 07:09 AM
USA vs Scotland! Hopefully they can take it to em

Hmmm...a 5-1 spanking, sounds like they did just that. BTW, Michael Bradley's goal was a thing of beauty and Landon got the HATTY!

P.S. first time in 4 years the USMNT scored 5 goals in a game.

kba4life2
May 27th, 2012, 11:13 AM
Hmmm...a 5-1 spanking, sounds like they did just that. BTW, Michael Bradley's goal was a thing of beauty and Landon got the HATTY!

P.S. first time in 4 years the USMNT scored 5 goals in a game.

Yikes, Scotland looked like they couldn't care less. It's been quite some time since the US took it to a pretty decent team, awesome to see. I think they hit two posts as well. When did Bradley get so good? Awesome goal but his passing was super crisp and he wasn't flying out of position like I'm used to him doing. Keep the damage against Brazil to a minimum, get Dempsey and Jozy back in there and hopefully they can cruise through qualification

ucsdguy1
May 29th, 2012, 09:50 AM
Scotland looked terrible.

Good tactical movement, Donovan woke up, holy hell goal from bradley, and nice to see the US take it to any european team. Brazil should be a much stiffer test though..

kba4life2
June 4th, 2012, 03:41 PM
Pathetically boring game against Canada. Roster selection by Klinnsman was questionable at the start of camp and that came to the forefront in this game. Beckerman is an absolute waste of a roster spot when there are 3 d-mids ahead of him on the depth chart. The team had nothing going forward so he brings in...Parkhurst and Edu, yikes. Lichaj is far more dynamic then Parkhurst and with Chandler's douchbaggery, I think he should be groomed for that spot immediately. A creative midfielder would've been nice, Adu? I don't care what his club form is, he generally plays pretty damn well for the "A" national team and he obviously brings something different to the table.