PDA

View Full Version : Official 2012 MLS Season Thread

ucsdguy1
January 3rd, 2012, 10:30 AM
and we're off..

Los Angeles Galaxy's David Beckham won't play for Paris Saint-Germain - ESPN Los Angeles (http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/soccer/news/story?id=7418423)

ucsdguy1
January 6th, 2012, 10:29 AM
Soccer By Ives: Gonzalez tears ACL at Nurnberg (http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2012/01/gonzalez-acl-tear.html)

ugh.

SuxBeingU
January 6th, 2012, 04:01 PM
Sucks on his first practice in Germany

SuxBeingU
January 6th, 2012, 04:03 PM
competitive sports—no earlier than 8 months (9-12 months typical) DAMN

Dawdler
January 7th, 2012, 06:15 PM
it really sucks for Omar, and I'm not sure I like the new unbalanced schedule, thoughts on the schedule?

VEGASKING
January 8th, 2012, 07:10 PM
I didn't even know he had gone out on loan until I saw that news. Huge loss. I don't know why he hadn't been getting called up to the NT already but now there goes any chance of that happening anytime soon.

empire
January 18th, 2012, 11:20 AM
David Beckham returning to L.A. Galaxy

Los Angeles Times | Jan. 18, 2012 | 11:04 a.m.
David Beckham will announce Thursday that he has reached agreement on a new contract with the Los Angeles Galaxy for the 2012 season.

More at latimes.com.

ucsdguy1
February 1st, 2012, 01:01 PM
LA Galaxy Sign Forward Edson Buddle | LA Galaxy (http://www.lagalaxy.com/news/2012/02/la-galaxy-sign-forward-edson-buddle)

King Smokey
February 18th, 2012, 10:59 AM
I missed the Buddle signing. What about that English midfielder they were talking about? I can't remember that kids name... But the Galaxy have to replace Juninho. Although he struggled early, J became a great player and I think he's a huge loss without a top player to replace him.

Dawdler
February 18th, 2012, 12:47 PM
I missed the Buddle signing. What about that English midfielder they were talking about? I can't remember that kids name... But the Galaxy have to replace Juninho. Although he struggled early, J became a great player and I think he's a huge loss without a top player to replace him.

I think you're thinking of Frank Lampard, and Juninho is back! Sao Paulo had no use for him so they loaned him back to the Galaxy Link (http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/soccer/story/_/id/7551376/midfielder-juninho-returns-champion-los-angeles-galaxy)

ucsdguy1
February 21st, 2012, 04:52 PM
"With the season going, where Robbie [Keane, a striker] leaves for the European Championship, where Beckham and possibly [Michael] Stephens could be gone for Olympics, we need that position to be a position with depth and quality, and I think we have that now."

ding.

King Smokey
February 23rd, 2012, 09:41 AM
Nice. I missed that article about Juninho. Galaxy is gonna be a beast this season. Why can AEG get the biggest names and the best coach for the Galaxy and players avoid the Kings like the plague?

ucsdguy1
March 8th, 2012, 09:24 AM
champions league last night had a little bit of everything.

- some great hookups from midfield to keane/buddle.
- late minute heroics (or luck)
- keane complaining about the plastic pitch
- buddle missing some wide open shots
- clutch mcgee
- omar missed
- 2 away goals

Dawdler
March 8th, 2012, 08:01 PM
champions league last night had a little bit of everything.

- some great hookups from midfield to keane/buddle.
- late minute heroics (or luck)
- keane complaining about the plastic pitch
- buddle missing some wide open shots
- clutch mcgee
- omar missed
- 2 away goals

fun night all around, Seattle and Santos was pretty darn good too, I'm so glad MLS is back, its going to be a fun season.

ucsdguy1
March 11th, 2012, 02:37 PM
well that certainly did suck last night

King Smokey
March 17th, 2012, 03:15 AM
I am so thankful the kings beat the ducks because that soccer game Wednesday was soooo painful. How can you call Magee offsides?? He was 3 steps on. That was horrific, and then the galaxy miss chance after chance after chance.

The loss of Omar Gonzalez cannot be this big an issue with their talent. He was not Peyton. Opening night and both Toronto games have just been not good.

ucsdguy1
March 19th, 2012, 11:40 AM
yay, a win. even if against a really bad DC team.

ucsdguy1
April 2nd, 2012, 09:13 AM
&@#$

KHenry14
April 2nd, 2012, 09:33 AM
Galaxy defense is a disaster. Boyens looks like an AYSO centerback and not a MLS one. And the team overall seems disinterested...save for Robbie Keane.

ucsdguy1
April 2nd, 2012, 01:04 PM
to the point there were some "xavier" chants emanating from our section..

SuxBeingU
April 2nd, 2012, 03:46 PM
Chivas USA reserves beat Galaxy reserves today 4-2.

Chivas "A" team has not scored at home and only 1 goal in 4 games. Why not reward the reserves with some A team time

KHenry14
April 2nd, 2012, 04:55 PM
to the point there were some "xavier" chants emanating from our section..

Now THAT'S sad...

King Smokey
April 6th, 2012, 02:16 AM
Chivas USA reserves beat Galaxy reserves today 4-2.

Chivas "A" team has not scored at home and only 1 goal in 4 games. Why not reward the reserves with some A team time

That just made my night so much worse.

ucsdguy1
April 16th, 2012, 10:56 AM
bad first touch. nice recovery

3L9lz7Zz9QI&feature=relmfu

Melfice
May 12th, 2012, 05:23 PM
I watched the Houston Dynamo game today and it was a good one! Their new stadium is pretty sweet as well

SuxBeingU
May 20th, 2012, 10:04 PM
Didnt want the weekend to go by without mention of the Galaxy Chivas USA game

Chivas USA 1
Galaxy 0

Game 1 of fake classico goes to the goats

KHenry14
May 24th, 2012, 10:31 AM
UGH, Last night, Galaxy up by 2 with 20 minutes to play....and they give up three to lose 3-2 to SJ at home. I am at a complete loss to explain this disasterous season. :rolleyes:

SuxBeingU
May 24th, 2012, 11:58 AM
UGH, Last night, Galaxy up by 2 with 20 minutes to play....and they give up three to lose 3-2 to SJ at home. I am at a complete loss to explain this disasterous season. :rolleyes:

was a beautiful sight. Alan Grodan is my HERO today only. he is a POS the other 364 days a year

Chiavs USA pulled out a draw at NYRB home Saturday against the struggling Sounders

ucsdguy1
May 24th, 2012, 12:48 PM
we suck so hard

last night was almost borderline laughter amongst everyone, as though "yeah, of course this would happen too"

If there was any solace, I was quite surprised (up until his idiotic two footed tackle) with Jimenez. He seemed to have some very nice one touch passes with quick tactical movement. But yeah, stupid ***** red card.

ucsdguy1
May 30th, 2012, 08:54 AM
ha it just gets better.

After going up 1-0, Galaxy end up losing 2-1 to Carolina Railhawks and are eliminated from US Open Cup.

SuxBeingU
May 30th, 2012, 09:58 AM
Chivas USA beats Ventura and moves into the next round against those same Railhawks on June 5th

ucsdguy1
June 21st, 2012, 11:19 AM
well that was one hell of a "what the hell just happened" win last night..

ucsdguy1
July 23rd, 2012, 04:28 PM
great game this weekend.

and everton's website says Tim Cahill is headed to New York, pending signature and physical...

Blues Agree Cahill Deal / News Archive / News / evertonfc.com - The Official Website of Everton Football Club (http://www.evertonfc.com/news/archive/2012/07/23/blues-agree-cahill-deal)

LetTigerIn
July 28th, 2012, 05:28 PM
The little girl who sang the national anthem at the FC Dallas vs LA Galaxy match completely butchered it in the most amazing way. It simultaneously laugh my ass off and feel terrible for her. She did seem to get some good support from the crowd in attendance, though.

ucsdguy1
July 30th, 2012, 10:15 AM
she'll probably turn it into an appearance on tosh.0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWnP4li8pZI

ucsdguy1
August 13th, 2012, 12:52 PM
good times

http://www.lagalaxy.com/video/2012/08/13/highlights-chivas-usa-vs-la-galaxy

LetTigerIn
August 13th, 2012, 01:49 PM
Sexy football is back.

Hopefully, as Omar continues to play himself back, and with Dunivant back as well, the back 4 will continue to get better, because they have been looking very good attacking for the past couple of months.

ucsdguy1
August 13th, 2012, 04:48 PM
without mr. sexy?

donovan and keane played off each other real well. Sarvas looked possessed. Juninho, was last year's Juninho. The back 4 from last year looked like we've really needed the back 4 from last year.

Always nice, but we did still get our butts whooped in Seattle last week...

ucsdguy1
September 5th, 2012, 03:06 PM
LA Galaxy sign Swedish International Midfielder Christian Wilhelmsson | LA Galaxy (http://www.lagalaxy.com/news/2012/09/la-galaxy-sign-swedish-international-midfielder-christian-wilhelmsson)

um....okay.....?

Dawdler
September 5th, 2012, 10:49 PM
LA Galaxy sign Swedish International Midfielder Christian Wilhelmsson | LA Galaxy (http://www.lagalaxy.com/news/2012/09/la-galaxy-sign-swedish-international-midfielder-christian-wilhelmsson)

um....okay.....?

He's the Swedish Beckham, so its a win win :)

LetTigerIn
September 22nd, 2012, 10:24 PM
Galaxy clinched a playoff berth with their win tonight. All 4 Galaxy goals scored tonight (2 by Juninho, 2 by Keane) were very nice. Wilhelmsson getting better each game.

Also, Omar Gonzalez will be signing autographs Thursday at 6PM at Macy's in Manhattan Beach.

ucsdguy1
September 28th, 2012, 01:57 PM
Galaxy also clinched heading into the next round of Champions League by virtue of Puerto Rico beating Metapan the other night.

LetTigerIn
November 1st, 2012, 02:37 PM
First round of the playoffs: LA vs Vancouver. Fitting. I'll be leaving work early to get to the game and looking forward to at least one of our teams defend their championship.

And, well, I know it's not a soccer thing, but I'm starting a playoff beard.

LetTigerIn
November 1st, 2012, 10:43 PM
LA Galaxy 2-1 Vancouver Whitecaps.

Galaxy advance to face San Jose. Vancouver eliminated in the opening round of the playoffs! That still sounds good.

Also, tonight's soccer lesson: Vancouver are divers. Go figure.

Cross Traffic
November 2nd, 2012, 05:22 AM
I did like how Bonjour looked like Luongo's brother, greasy hair too. The equalizer was a thing of beauty.

4everking
November 2nd, 2012, 08:06 AM
I did like how Bonjour looked like Luongo's brother, greasy hair too. The equalizer was a thing of beauty.

Les Adieux Bonjour (full name). I really think that the winner of Sun game: Galaxy - Earthquakes will go all the way.. my 2 pesos..

LetTigerIn
November 2nd, 2012, 12:40 PM

Agreed on the equalizer. Didn't really get a great look at Bonjour, but maybe he'll send one back when I send him a Thank You card.

Les Adieux Bonjour (full name).

If it wasn't before, it is now!

I really think that the winner of Sun game: Galaxy - Earthquakes will go all the way.. my 2 pesos..

I think that's a fair bet. I do hope it's the Galaxy.

VEGASKING
November 3rd, 2012, 03:11 AM
It's a 2 legged tie so winning Sunday is only half the battle.

LetTigerIn
November 4th, 2012, 09:41 PM
Well, that was brutal. San Jose should feel very fortunate. I hope the Galaxy play as well or better Wednesday.

4everking
November 5th, 2012, 12:10 PM
Well, that was brutal. San Jose should feel very fortunate. I hope the Galaxy play as well or better Wednesday.

They better or be tortured like some of us..watching the Lakers that is..

ucsdguy1
November 5th, 2012, 06:52 PM
Galaxy were content kicking wide balls in with short forwards who couldn't control the air at all.

San Jose packed the midfield. No real sense of control from the galaxy, or much attempt to attack the defense on the ground.

Lethargic game all around.

LetTigerIn
November 6th, 2012, 06:57 AM
Galaxy were content kicking wide balls in with short forwards who couldn't control the air at all.

San Jose packed the midfield. No real sense of control from the galaxy, or much attempt to attack the defense on the ground.

Lethargic game all around.

Galaxy did lose the battle in the air, but I don't think that's what determined the outcome. They need to put more of their shots on target.

They played a lot of crosses, but they also attacked on the ground frequently. San Jose unsurprisingly packed the middle. Not like it wasn't to be expected, but Galaxy outpossessed San Jose by over 33%, outpassed them by 134 passes (over 33% advantage), with an 82% connection percentage. The build up was good all night, and I think most importantly, they never let San Jose get anything over the top to Lehnart or Wondo, nor did San Jose look good on the ground at all.

Surprisingly, Earthquakes were called for only 11 fouls to Galaxy's 12.

It's not that I think Galaxy can't do better, but I think they looked better than San Jose. I still think if they play San Jose at least as well as they did Sunday, I like their chances. That's a very layperson point of view, though. My soccer acumen is admittedly poor; but my love for the Galaxy is not.

ucsdguy1
November 6th, 2012, 01:16 PM
San Jose's game plan was to pack the middle and pause forward possession. They didn't look like they were really trying to play possession or attack at all, so no surprise the Galaxy won the possession battle. But possession only does so much when you don't have clear and plentiful true scoring chances. Oh man would I have loved keane to score on that shot off the crossbar though. That one back heel pass to him and shot was beautiful.

San Jose looked very content to play for a draw and go win at home. They were quite fortunate to score on that kick. (Omar, the guy was not going to bend it like beckham, stay on the ground!)

ucsdguy1
November 6th, 2012, 07:12 PM
i think i just set the record for using the word "possession" in a post..

LetTigerIn
November 6th, 2012, 11:53 PM
i think i just set the record for using the word "possession" in a post..

That's more possession, hopefully, than San Jose will have in the second leg.

LetTigerIn
November 7th, 2012, 10:25 PM
Well, they nearly gave it back at the end, but...

1) Eliminate Vancouver? Check.

1a/2) Eliminate the number 1 seed/regular-season points champion? Check.

3) Advance to Western Conference Finals? Check.

Dawdler
November 7th, 2012, 10:38 PM
what a victory!! I'm happy the boys fought back and showed the pride of being a champion.

4everking
November 7th, 2012, 10:54 PM
Congrats to the North American Galacticos for their first win ever in San Jose postseason. It couldn't have come at a better time. A little disappointed with the poor finishes by Wilhelmsson in the 2nd, he should have buried at least one of those great chances but a great victory nonetheless.

VEGASKING
November 7th, 2012, 11:01 PM
They were quite fortunate to score on that kick. (Omar, the guy was not going to bend it like beckham, stay on the ground!)

Exactly. You have to know who is taking the kick. A guy that shoots with power keeps it low. I'm just glad I was wrong for thinking they'd be out of gas for tonight and that gifted goal didn't cost them the series. Great performance.

LetTigerIn
November 8th, 2012, 10:11 AM
Congrats to the North American Galacticos for their first win ever in San Jose postseason. It couldn't have come at a better time. A little disappointed with the poor finishes by Wilhelmsson in the 2nd, he should have buried at least one of those great chances but a great victory nonetheless.

Right? I thought dude's nickname is Chippen for his great chip shots. No good if you don't use it. Unleash!

ucsdguy1
November 8th, 2012, 11:27 AM
I want to move to Maryland with Robbie Keane.

LOSTcauseZERO
November 11th, 2012, 08:07 PM
I could've sworn I heard a Go Kings Go chant during tonight's match.

LetTigerIn
November 11th, 2012, 08:59 PM

Go Keano! Go Keano!

ucsdguy1
November 11th, 2012, 09:46 PM
that was "no means no" aimed at montero.

Keane and McGee - just keep scoring when it matters.

LetTigerIn
November 13th, 2012, 12:27 AM
Hoping for that rematch of the 2011 final.

ucsdguy1
November 14th, 2012, 07:41 PM
Text I got during the US/Russia game today:

"I'd trust a healthy Gonzalez, De La Garza, Franklin and Dunivant on the back line way more than these 4"

Oh and whoa Bradley!

VEGASKING
November 18th, 2012, 09:56 PM
Fredy Montero, the Joe Thornton of MLS. I hope Seattle keeps him as long as possible.

ucsdguy1
November 19th, 2012, 10:23 AM
that was such an ugly game. They were lucky to get out alive.

Juninho better start the final, and I sure hope Donovan is back.

LetTigerIn
November 19th, 2012, 06:19 PM
Beckham's final game with the Galaxy will be the Cup Final. Might well be Keane's and LD's, too. Whatever the case, I hope we win this one.

SuxBeingU
November 19th, 2012, 06:48 PM
As much as I HATE the Galaxy Beckham has been pure class every time I have run into him. All sports need more guys like him and Henry.

That being said GO DYNAMO !!

Dawdler
December 1st, 2012, 04:21 PM
Beckham goes out a Champion and with class.

LA Galaxy repeat Champions!!!! :congrats:

ucsdguy1
December 1st, 2012, 06:32 PM
My voice is shot.

Champions!

ucsdguy1
December 3rd, 2012, 01:38 PM
celebration is tonight at 7 pm at the HDC (tennis stadium)

oh yeah.

http://distilleryimage10.instagram.com/04ae898c3cc111e2b2f422000a9f1255_7.jpg

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/68694_4658536297499_1718395503_n.jpg

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/c0.0.403.403/p403x403/154679_10151287540573205_2080628932_n.jpg

SuxBeingU
December 3rd, 2012, 04:14 PM
UCSD were you at the Reign game later that night ?

ucsdguy1
December 3rd, 2012, 05:17 PM
Nope. I went home, changed my 1 month old's diaper, and went to sleep!

LetTigerIn
December 5th, 2012, 12:31 PM
Well, I got stuck at work on Monday and had to stream the championship celebration. I wish we knew what LD's plans are. If he's taking time off, he deserves an even bigger sendoff than Beckham for his time with this club.

I did like that Beckham was candid in mentioning a "dodgy patch," and admitting his frustration with his first couple of years here. I saw the turning point for him with this club as his return from the Achilles injury, and a lot to do with changes in team as a whole and they way they played together instead of relying on David too exclusively.