PDA

View Full Version : spoilers:Game of Thrones:The BOOKS...SPOILERS!!!!!!

Pages : [1] 2

jerseydevil
April 5th, 2012, 12:49 PM
SPOILERS AHEAD!!!! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

Ok, so a seperate page for those of us either finished or deep into the books. It goes without saying that if you only watch the show THERE WILL BE SPOILERS.

SPOILERS so if you read this thread SPOILERS you will have things SPOILED for you. Consider yourselves warned.

Ok, so with that out of the way, I am just now starting Dance of...I am still not sure how Beric got his powers Not that I want it SPOILED but does this get explained? It's the one part of the stories that I am having the hardest part suspending disbelief with. And Lady Stoneheart...man, what suffering. It seems so hideously unfair. Cat of the Canals too. that poor kid. Well, on the plus side Cersei finally outthunk herself.

So have at it guys, the night is dark and full of terrors so let's shine a little light on some of em.

notbob
April 5th, 2012, 12:53 PM
Aria is one of my favorite characters. I just wish there was more progress with her storyline. As for Cersei watching her fall is the best part of later books.

jerseydevil
April 5th, 2012, 12:57 PM
I have to say...it really mirrors life more than most fantasy. The 'good' family(Starks) just get decimated overall. I mean almost obliterated. While the Lannisters(boo Hiss) somewhat eventually get some form of comeuppance but so far not half of what they deserve. This ain't no fairytale.

jerseydevil
April 6th, 2012, 11:34 AM
Wow, reading Dance of...and it seems to be an all out race to Daenerys. This should get interesting.

Noble Savage
April 9th, 2012, 01:10 AM
Still not developing the Daenerys storyline quick enough for me. I mean how ****ing dense is she and her crusades in the slaver cities? BIG YAWN. It only took her one book to figure out her brother was crap, why is it taking her so long to learn that she is not meant to be in this portion of the world?

If you are waiting for an explanation of the Storm Lord or Stoneheart (Cat) you will waiting longer than the end of Dance. . .
Speaking of which, in the middle of dance with Dragons Lord Beric kinda disappears from the story. Disappointing, I find his unkillable-undead-shambling along for justice character to be fun.

I figure it is just killing time and letting the little monsters turn into big monsters.
I was going to harsh Bob on his spelling of Arya, but I deleted the worst of it. We are all friends in Westeros.

Any of you read the Hedge Knight graphic novel with Ser Dunc and Egg?
Highly recommended, GRRM also scatters a story or two from them around some anthologies.
They are set around 80-100 years before the current books and a way more light-hearted.

I have more to say, but I'll wait for JD to finish Dance. . .

jerseydevil
April 9th, 2012, 09:58 AM
Do you think they changed Asha Greyjoys name(on the show) to avoid confusion with Arya?

Noble Savage
April 9th, 2012, 05:57 PM
I do think that the next book has the potential to be my favorite one. As it stands A Storm of Swords is that book.
I liked Dance and Feast (I kinda hate that I am using those terms to name the books BTW) but felt like they were 20% flotsam.
You will most likely see the potential I speak of towards the end of a Dance with Dragons, as far as the Targaryen bloodline.

Also, just for fun. . . How do you picture Arya's future life.

jerseydevil
April 10th, 2012, 09:16 AM
I am really enjoying Dance so far. I never really pegged that Daenerys would be the pot o'gold at the end of the rainbow that it seems she suddenly is. It's frightening to think of Tyrion being the brains behind that raw power. Jons dire wolves dream at the beginning-ish of the book hints that there is going to be a bigger role for them as well and that makes me happy. 'Arry, man...talk about a full life...already at 13. With the story really settling in some of the more foreign locations it certainly feels like the scope of the whole thing has changed as well. The highest praise I can give these books is that I simply have NO idea what is coming...and I like it. Martin best get to writing...I need a new book!

jerseydevil
April 16th, 2012, 07:40 PM
Kill the boy...

Attaboy Jon Snow. Take that Janos Slynt!

darby
April 18th, 2012, 11:49 AM
We should probably consider leading a post with the book it references for those who are in earlier books.

It'd make it easier for someone reading book 3, for example, to avoid people talking about stuff in book 5.

Kinda like this:

Book 5 - Dance with Dragons

Kill the boy...

jerseydevil
April 18th, 2012, 12:24 PM
good point.

Noble Savage
April 18th, 2012, 12:42 PM
Book 5 Dance with Dragons

Kill the boy...

Hooo boy, just wait JD. . .

Noble Savage
April 20th, 2012, 09:33 AM
So. . . am I the only crossover hockey/fantasy nerd that has finished all of these?
Or the only one who has finished and wants to speculate on what's next?

jerseydevil
April 20th, 2012, 09:48 AM
So. . . am I the only crossover hockey/fantasy nerd that has finished all of these?
Or the only one who has finished and wants to speculate on what's next?

Working on it...damned though, hardcovers are so much more unwieldy when it comes to comfortable reading.

jerseydevil
April 23rd, 2012, 09:23 AM
Ok...DANCE OF DRAGONS

So Reek. Knew that was coming sooner or later. You can almost tell at this point when a character disappears for a stretch, whether they are truly dead or just being held for later on. To me it's sad. I actually like Reek(I will continue using that name in lieu of just in case a casual reader or non reader has ventured in here) and I feel he was a tragic character from the beginning. Sure, he made some bad decisions but I still have to feel for such a flawed person. Gonna be tricky to translate on the show because, I think, that's the longest disappearance by a major character up to this point. On the show it should translate to at least 3 seasons with the splitting of book 3. Will folks even remember him at that point?

Noble Savage
April 24th, 2012, 10:52 AM
I don't think they will JD.
It will be interesting when the time comes how they handle it. Hopefully it won't be someone just saying "Oh, you are blah blah from hmm hmm! "

jerseydevil
May 4th, 2012, 10:20 PM
DANCE OF DRAGONS...

This may be the best book by far. So deep. And...so removed from the usual suspects. I am actually having trouble keeping things straight with this one due to the influx of newer characters(the party from Dorne,etc) and the politics of the almost It's a Mad mad mad world-type rush to Danaerys and her dragons. As Martin nears the conclusion it's really getting very dense. Going to have a severe case of withdrawls when I finish this...hopefully the new Dark Tower book sitting on the shelf will 'chase the dragon' a bit.

jerseydevil
May 4th, 2012, 10:25 PM
Jaysus i am having so much trouble w/Reek. I really liked that character and I love the casting...and now that Asha seems to have an ulterior motive...Seems Martin ain't done w/him. He is the most tragic of the major players so far(and if you read the books you know who I am talking about)

Drunken Crunker
May 8th, 2012, 10:04 AM
I have just started reading the books so am only half way through A Clash of Kings right now.

I can't remember but has the show introduced Jojen and Meera yet?

It's an interesting plot line w/ Bran but I don't recall it being introduced in any of the episodes so far?

Also, HBO has taken some liberties with Renly's character it seems. I think the book slightly hinted at his 'preferences' but the show definitely addresses it in a much 'absolute' way. (Unless the book goes into this in more detail at a later time?)

Drunken Crunker
May 8th, 2012, 10:20 AM
Ok...DANCE OF DRAGONS

So Reek. Knew that was coming sooner or later. You can almost tell at this point when a character disappears for a stretch, whether they are truly dead or just being held for later on. To me it's sad. I actually like Reek(I will continue using that name in lieu of just in case a casual reader or non reader has ventured in here) and I feel he was a tragic character from the beginning. Sure, he made some bad decisions but I still have to feel for such a flawed person. Gonna be tricky to translate on the show because, I think, that's the longest disappearance by a major character up to this point. On the show it should translate to at least 3 seasons with the splitting of book 3. Will folks even remember him at that point?

I'm just at the point right now where Reek is being introduced as a character. Will follow his developments closely

:cheers:

jerseydevil
May 8th, 2012, 10:24 AM
I have just started reading the books so am only half way through A Clash of Kings right now.

I can't remember but has the show introduced Jojen and Meera yet?

It's an interesting plot line w/ Bran but I don't recall it being introduced in any of the episodes so far?

Also, HBO has taken some liberties with Renly's character it seems. I think the book slightly hinted at his 'preferences' but the show definitely addresses it in a much 'absolute' way. (Unless the book goes into this in more detail at a later time?)

No Jojen/Meera and even the Walders are conspicuously absent so far. Ok, so you drew me back into this thread. Is my memory so bad...I do not remember the dragons being kidnapped in the books. That's new right? Also...I am so glad they cast who they did as Davos. From his first appearance in the books the Onion Knight struck me as someone very important. It would seem he has a lot more story to tell.

jerseydevil
June 1st, 2012, 07:08 PM
Aw Crap. Just finished Dance of Dragons. Could it have been any more Empire Strikes Back with it's cliffhanger ending. Jayzus. I tell you what...Mellisandre better have some red magic cooked up for Jon Snow or I will find GRR Martin and kick him in the sack. Just so good, the best book in the bunch as far as the scope and all the goings on. The return of the spider which I was patiently waiting. So many great moments. Poor Penny/Pretty Pig/Crunch. So sad. Never thought to see Tyrion brought to such heights/depths and the folks who only watch the show have no idea what is coming. This is going to be almost impossible to translate to tv.

jerseydevil
July 18th, 2012, 11:10 AM
George R.R. Martin reveals which Thrones storyline he's 'dreading' | Blastr (http://blastr.com/2012/07/what-upcoming-thrones-sto.php)

I put this here instead of the show thread due to the MAJOR SPOILERS. The fact that there is even discussion that HBO is thinking of altering the Red Wedding is preposterous.

Noble Savage
July 18th, 2012, 11:30 AM
HUGE STORM OF SWORDS SPOILER!!!!
(you've been warned)

Damn man, they better not alter how the Red Wedding goes down. That event gutted me as I read it, I loved the Starks the most on my first read through of the books and that event saddened/enraged/intrigued me. I can think of no other reading event like that in my life, seriously. It would seem cheap and stupid to lessen the impact of the Red Wedding. ****, they closed season two on HBO with 'The Rains of Castamere' playing and I instantly got goosebumps. Looks like it will likely end up in Season 4. . . but I'll be looking forward to it.

Noble Savage
July 18th, 2012, 11:38 AM
Also, while I'm here let's speculate on what becomes of young (dead?) Lord Snow.
A few guesses from me.
** He becomes 'black-handed' like Benjen.
** He rises back up from the power of the Lord of Light (Think Lord Beric here)
** He really is dead and the Starks are really ****ing cursed. With only Bran left standing when the series finally wraps. (Arya dies during the assassination of the last Lannister, Rickon resurfaces as a wildman chief near the Eyrie and is killed fighting the returning Targaryen army, Sansa dies when someone tells her eating poison is a good idea and she believes them wholeheartedly)

jerseydevil
July 18th, 2012, 01:20 PM
oooh...you think the 'rider of the stag' is Benjen??????

Drunken Crunker
July 18th, 2012, 01:35 PM
Aw Crap. Just finished Dance of Dragons. Could it have been any more Empire Strikes Back with it's cliffhanger ending. Jayzus. I tell you what...Mellisandre better have some red magic cooked up for Jon Snow or I will find GRR Martin and kick him in the sack. Just so good, the best book in the bunch as far as the scope and all the goings on. The return of the spider which I was patiently waiting. So many great moments. Poor Penny/Pretty Pig/Crunch. So sad. Never thought to see Tyrion brought to such heights/depths and the folks who only watch the show have no idea what is coming. This is going to be almost impossible to translate to tv.

I just finished Feast for Crows. Found it a little slow, (though the ending has me hooked), as it was missing some of my favourite characters. I did find interesting the gradual evolution of Jamie Lannister and the changing of his perception and attitude towards Cerci .

Have Dance of Dragons on order. Looking forward 2 some more Snow, Spider and the Imp! :chickendance:

jerseydevil
September 27th, 2012, 05:14 PM
Worried the Thrones novels may be too brutal for you? Watch this! | Blastr (http://blastr.com/2012/09/thrones-readers-bemoan-ma.php)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=NGUKDZFiy-A

Part of what makes George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire books, and HBO's Game of Thrones series based on them, so great is the fact that these characters are often in real peril. But that can also drive fans nuts—and this hilarious clip pokes fun at that fact.

Not to get into any spoilers here, but Martin is famous for taking risky chances and killing off characters with reckless abandon.

But in case all that uncertainty is scaring you away from the franchise, the comedy team at The Second City Network has a message for you: It Gets Better.

Well, kind of.

Okay, not really.

The video is a spoof on the commercials for the It Gets Better Project, and is packed with spoilers for much of the series. So watch at your own risk if you're not caught up on your Thrones lore.

Ecktore
October 3rd, 2012, 11:26 PM
I just finished A Dance with Dragons...wow. I'll comment more tomorrow morning. but i just want say that my opinion on what is to become of of Lord Snow is one of two scenarios, both involving the Red Woman... I'm thinking either Victarian or Mance. More on this tomorrow

Ecktore
October 4th, 2012, 07:51 AM
oooh...you think the 'rider of the stag' is Benjen??????

I think so. Nothing was ever confirmed regarding him, and the descriptions in the book lead me to believe it is Benjen.

Also, i was but disappointed with how Bran's was left lingering midway through the book. Am i the only one thinking that it was Bran who was whispering Reek's name in the godswood?

jerseydevil
October 4th, 2012, 09:06 AM
Intriguing new Game of Thrones tidbits tease iconic book 3 scenes | Blastr (http://blastr.com/2012/10/intriguing-new-game-of-th.php)

This is show stuff...but too spoilery to put on the show thread.

Ecktore
October 4th, 2012, 11:12 AM
No Vargo Hoat!? A shame. He was one of the few non-POV characters I enjoyed.

Ecktore
October 4th, 2012, 12:03 PM
Ok...DANCE OF DRAGONS

I don't think they will JD.
It will be interesting when the time comes how they handle it. Hopefully it won't be someone just saying "Oh, you are blah blah from hmm hmm! "

He won't go missing for too long, i think. The first half of A Dance with Dragons lines up chronologically with the events from A Feast for Crows. This is why some characters come in halfway through book five.

I'd like for him to be missing from season 3, and maybe re-introduced slowy thoughout season 4. Maybe a cliffhangerJust my thoughts

Noble Savage
October 4th, 2012, 11:32 PM
Am i the only one thinking that it was Bran who was whispering Reek's name in the godswood?
Nope, haven't commented on that here, but you nailed it I think.
Part of why I think the next book has potential is a serious unleashing of Bran's powers.
Also, I would bet my sword hand Benjen is the black handed rider of the stag.

Ecktore
October 8th, 2012, 09:22 AM
Am i the only one thinking that it was Bran who was whispering Reek's name in the godswood?
Nope, haven't commented on that here, but you nailed it I think.
Part of why I think the next book has potential is a serious unleashing of Bran's powers.

I'm hoping the same thing for Bran. Also, I'm hoping that Rickon is brought back...talk about being completely lost. I really want to know what has become of him.

Also, I've gone back to book one, and I realized that Tyrion REALLY loved dragons as a child. I'm thinking he'll be one of the three heads in the upcoming books.

Also, this...."Yes, life" Noye said. "A long life, or a short one, its up to you, Snow. The road you're walking, one of your brothers will slit your throat one night."........... I'm probably making something out of nothing, but that really stood out to me.

jerseydevil
October 8th, 2012, 11:43 AM
Thrones pics and videos reveal S3 scene that wasn't in the books | Blastr (http://blastr.com/2012/10/new-thrones-s3-pics-and-v.php)

Again. Too spoilery for the show thread. Ok. We are reaching a crossroads. I think from this point out we are going to get a LOT of alternate options that veer off the original story. Almost inevitable due to the unfilmable nature of some of the story elements and the storytelling itself(the scope and long term disappearances of some characters). How do you guys feel? I will try to be openminded but it is as troubling as it is necessary.

Ecktore
October 8th, 2012, 12:24 PM
I can only guess which road that added scene is going to go down, possibly removing Ser Dontos as the one that rescues Lady Lannister...but that would have to happen AFTER the two weddings, right?

I'll be fine with the changes, i suppose. This is a different audience that they have to cater to now. And with Robb marrying the chick from Volantis, instead of the girl from the book... and then doing it in season 2.....just makes my head hurt thinking about how this is all going to go down....... In a way, the changes will just give us something more to talk about.

jerseydevil
October 8th, 2012, 01:17 PM
Actually Sir Dontos was already established on the show wasn't he? Shae being involved with Sansa is the part I'm wondering about.

Ecktore
October 8th, 2012, 02:13 PM
Actually Sir Dontos was already established on the show wasn't he? Shae being involved with Sansa is the part I'm wondering about.

He was, but I wouldn't put it past HBO to remove him from that storyline.

Well, she is Sansa's maid. I'm going to stick with my idea of them removing the former knight as Lady Lannister's saviour. I'm betting that HBO will make her escape as being planned by them all.

KingInTheWest
October 9th, 2012, 12:05 AM
I think Robb married Jeyne in the second book; we just did not see it because he was not with a POV character at the time.

I was rereading the Arya parts of Clash Of Kings a few months ago and I swear there was a part where she was in a godswood and Bran did his thing, which would be impressive planning ahead for a writer who does not like to plan ahead.

jerseydevil
October 9th, 2012, 09:08 AM
New Thrones S3 set pic confirms filming of major scene from novels | Blastr (http://blastr.com/2012/10/spoilerific-thrones-s3-pi.php)

Ecktore
October 9th, 2012, 12:02 PM
I think Robb married Jeyne in the second book; we just did not see it because he was not with a POV character at the time.

I was rereading the Arya parts of Clash Of Kings a few months ago and I swear there was a part where she was in a godswood and Bran did his thing, which would be impressive planning ahead for a writer who does not like to plan ahead.

I think you're right. In the books, Catelyn is at Riverrun, while he's attacking some town to the west. I'm currently going to A Game of Thrones, but I'll keep an eye out for that moment with Arya in the godswood.

jerseydevil
October 9th, 2012, 12:04 PM
It's a...nice day for a...Red Weddiiiiiiinnnnnng!!!!!

Ecktore
October 9th, 2012, 12:18 PM
New Thrones S3 set pic confirms filming of major scene from novels | Blastr (http://blastr.com/2012/10/spoilerific-thrones-s3-pi.php)

Ooohhh. Red Wedding in season 3. I hope they do it justice. And how doeth The Kingthlayer lose a hand, if there ith no Vargo Hoat to cut it off!?!?!? Who will thend the methage?

Ecktore
October 9th, 2012, 03:42 PM
It's a...nice day for a...Red Weddiiiiiiinnnnnng!!!!! i swear I've been singing this in my head for the past week or so

jerseydevil
October 9th, 2012, 04:50 PM
GAME OF THRONES Season 3 Set Images Show More Non-Book Scenes | Collider (http://collider.com/game-of-thrones-season-3-images/201284/)

more Ser Dontos speculation

Ecktore
October 9th, 2012, 06:38 PM
Ha! Me thinks I should help George write the show so he can hurry the **** up with the next book!

Ecktore
October 12th, 2012, 12:06 PM
watching the season 2 finale, and i completely forgot that Littlefinger spoke with Sansa at the very beginning about helping her get back home.

notbob
December 14th, 2012, 12:04 PM
http://blastr.com/uploads/GeorgeRRYouDoneYet.jpeg

jerseydevil
January 9th, 2013, 04:45 PM
Martin releases tantalizing new chapter from next Thrones novel | Blastr (http://blastr.com/2013/01/martin-unveils-tantalizin.php)

Boy, George R.R. Martin knows how to build anticipation. The acclaimed fantasy author is knee-deep into his hit series A Song of Ice and Fire but is taking his sweet time finishing up the latest book, The Winds of Winter. Luckily, to at least whet our appetite, he's finally released a tantalizing new sample chapter.

Martin's series was already acclaimed in fantasy circles, but skyrocketed to a new level of attention once HBO adapted it into the smash hit TV series Game of Thrones. But Martin hasn't let all the attention put his feet to the fire. He's always worked at his own pace, and doesn't plan on changing anytime soon.

No solid release date has been revealed for Winds of Winter, the sixth book in the proposed seven-volume saga, but many expect it to hit shelves late this year or at some point in 2014.

For now, let's just enjoy the shiny new chapter dubbed "Arianne," which focuses on the character of the same name. In typical Martin fashion, the sample chapter is pretty lengthy, meaning we at least get a good feel for what he's planning for the next installment.

Click here GRRM - Wild Cards Sample (http://www.georgerrmartin.com/if-sample.html) to head over to Martin's website and give it a look.

Oh boy
Oh Boy
Oh BOY

jerseydevil
April 8th, 2013, 09:35 AM
In deference to Doc Naysay and others, most of my comments regarding the show will be in this forum, simply because it is almost impossible, having read the books, to not slip details here and there. So, book readers, there was a LOT of condensing last night in regards to Lady Stark's backstory. Her father is already dead. Once again, I applaud the decision, old George could have used an editor with a sharper hand at times. I absolutely hate the thought of watching the Reek's transformation. Since Theon was my fave character in the books it was hard enough when it was revealed post-tortures, but to watch it happen...ugh. So far I still think they have been remarkable with the casting. Darby disagrees with me, but I think Ciaran Hines was a briliiant choice as Mance. I never really twigged him to be young-ish...he was one of the characters that I never really had a firm vision of in my head. What say you guys????

notbob
April 8th, 2013, 10:49 AM
In deference to Doc Naysay and others, most of my comments regarding the show will be in this forum, simply because it is almost impossible, having read the books, to not slip details here and there. So, book readers, there was a LOT of condesning last night in regards to Lady Stark's backstory. Her father is already dead. Once again, I applaud the decision, old George could have used an editor with a sharper hand at times. I absolutely hate the thought of watching the Reek's transformation. Since Theon was my fave character in the books it was hard enough when it was revealed post-tortures, but to watch it happen...ugh. So far I still think they have been remarkable with the casting. Darby disagrees with me, but I think Ciaran Hines was a briliiant choice as Mance. I never really twigged him to be young-ish...he was one of the characters that I never really had a firm vision of in my head. What say you guys????

I think because he was portrayed as a ladies man/minstrel wandering south of the wall to pick up chicks whenever he chose might give people the impression that he would be more handsome and charming.

Ecktore
April 8th, 2013, 11:02 AM
I'm somewhere in between in regards to the casting of Mance Rayder. I think Ciaran Hinds will do a great job, but he's not what I pictured.

Now, THIS guy is EXACTLY what I pictured Mance Rayder to look like.

http://images.starpulse.com/pictures/2011/09/21/previews/Once%20Upon%20A%20Time7-20110921-65.jpg

sarf
April 8th, 2013, 11:23 AM
Mayhaps it was the lute, a lute takes 10 yrs off

jerseydevil
April 8th, 2013, 11:43 AM
Good call on that one Ecktore. Except for the fact that Carlyle is tied up/associated with Once..., that probably would have excluded him. Oh, and he is about what, 4'10??? But it would have got my thumbs up.

Nice to see ol'wooden eye from Pirates as the Warg.

Lots of embellishment last night character wise. Catelyn Stark's little confession re:Jon Snow. Joffrey's stance on gay marraige. The Karstarks 'you lost the war when you married her'...all good touches to round out story/character. And...you just know, that the guy who said he is there to break Theon out is one of the sadistic mind f' tricks that poor Reek endured. Man, that is rough to watch. I guess I am glad that they moved 2 of my fave characters (Theon/Davos) into the mix earlier, but I hate having to watch that.

Ecktore
April 8th, 2013, 11:58 AM
I'm telling you, he's EXACTLY what I pictured Mance to look like. Of course, you're right about him not being able to do it because of that other show the wife and I are watching, but when I first saw him prance around as Rumplestiltskin, the bulb in my head just lit up. Again, I'm not taking anything away from Hinds at all. I think he'll do great.

Ecktore
April 8th, 2013, 11:58 AM
Also, I haven't gotten around to watch the second episode, So I'll comment on all that tomorrow.

jerseydevil
April 8th, 2013, 12:43 PM
Sorry, damn, now I am spoiling the tv show for the readers...I can do no right here. :drunk:

Ecktore
April 8th, 2013, 12:49 PM
:lol: Don't worry about it. I come into these threads expecting spoilers. When I really didn't want to know, I stay away until I'm fully caught up.

notbob
April 8th, 2013, 08:28 PM
Good call on that one Ecktore. Except for the fact that Carlyle is tied up/associated with Once..., that probably would have excluded him. Oh, and he is about what, 4'10??? But it would have got my thumbs up.

Nice to see ol'wooden eye from Pirates as the Warg.

Lots of embellishment last night character wise. Catelyn Stark's little confession re:Jon Snow. Joffrey's stance on gay marraige. The Karstarks 'you lost the war when you married her'...all good touches to round out story/character. And...you just know, that the guy who said he is there to break Theon out is one of the sadistic mind f' tricks that poor Reek endured. Man, that is rough to watch. I guess I am glad that they moved 2 of my fave characters (Theon/Davos) into the mix earlier, but I hate having to watch that.

Word on the street is the guy that said he will break Theon out is Ramsey Snow.

jerseydevil
April 8th, 2013, 09:06 PM
Oh yeah, that makes all the sense in the world.

Hey, I just realized...once AND EVEN FOR THIS THREAD...HEAVY SPOILERS...Osha and Rickon split off, they still are not accounted for in the books. That's ****ing amazing. And therein lies the quandry the producers face. They seem to be very keen to juggle timelines in order to keep all the major players on the board. I have heard them address that, at some point, they may have to predict what old George has in mind for some of em. I HAVE to figure Osha, and to a lesser extent, Rickon have MAJOR parts to still play. Something to think about.

notbob
April 8th, 2013, 09:22 PM
Thats something i never thought about. He is part of the writing process though and I'm sure he has a general idea of the characters futures

jerseydevil
April 8th, 2013, 09:28 PM
But...is he willing to spill on his plans going forward? He is a known crank...I can see him withholding.

Ecktore
April 8th, 2013, 09:46 PM
I just watched episode 2, and man, they are SPEEDING through the first half of the book. It's great though. I loved it.

I think they're just making stuff up in order to keep Rickon and Osha on the show without their extremely long hiatus. Kinda like what they're doing to Re...er...Theon.

And in regards to Barriston Selmy, you KNEW he was going to be exposed from the minute he helped Daenerys and Jorah. It was an amazing part of the book the way he was eventually revealed and the chaos it created, but it was something that just wasn't going to work on the screen because the viewers would recognize him right away. I'm curious to see how she eventually comes to that point on the show.

jerseydevil
April 8th, 2013, 09:52 PM
Oh yeah...that point. Good point Ecktore. Yeah, I wonder how long they will keep Osha/Rickon tied to the Young Lord.

And, if you like seeing what they do to my poor Theon...you are a sadist.

Ecktore
April 8th, 2013, 10:02 PM
Oh yeah...that point. Good point Ecktore. Yeah, I wonder how long they will keep Osha/Rickon tied to the Young Lord.

And, if you like seeing what they do to my poor Theon...you are a sadist.

I had to read my post again, because didn't understand why you think i enjoy what they're doing to Theon. I don't like what they're doing to Theon. I meant to say that they don't want Theon, Rickon and Osha to go missing for multiple seasons the way they do in the books. That's why they're making stuff up for them. Of course, Theon's is what you didn't get to read in the books.

jerseydevil
April 8th, 2013, 10:17 PM
Ok, you can understand my confusion???? Yeah, I could do without the transformation...but I do like that they have kept him in the Game. Makes a lot more sense. I have to say, Benioff/Weiss have been spot on so far as far as what to edit and how to move up stuff. I am concerned when it comes to Arya. Her arc is ridiculous...yet CRUCIAL. That is going to be well tricky. Dany has had the most change so far, and that will get even moreso moving forward, but they have been really deft at trimming there. So much to see moving forward. I just hope the quality stays the same because they really have handled things brilliantly in the face of overwhelming odds.

KingInTheWest
April 9th, 2013, 12:14 AM
Arya's arc is ridiculous... ridiculously awesome. I also had Mance as being younger, maybe about Jaime's age. Rickon probably ends up ruling Winterfell since Bran has another job. Not making us suffer through five episodes of Barristan in some ridiculous disguise was a great call by the makers of the HBO show. Pulling off the transformation to Reek is going to be tough to pull off, it worked in the books because it was skipped and two books went by without seeing him. I have total faith, though.

If you think George needed an editor in book three, have you seen the two after that? Also, the last message before these new ones, where an article is quoted "No solid release date has been revealed for Winds of Winter, the sixth book in the proposed seven-volume saga, but many expect it to hit shelves late this year or at some point in 2014" - that is hilarious.

Ecktore
April 9th, 2013, 07:18 AM
Arya's arc is ridiculous... ridiculously awesome. I also had Mance as being younger, maybe about Jaime's age. Rickon probably ends up ruling Winterfell since Bran has another job. Not making us suffer through five episodes of Barristan in some ridiculous disguise was a great call by the makers of the HBO show. Pulling off the transformation to Reek is going to be tough to pull off, it worked in the books because it was skipped and two books went by without seeing him. I have total faith, though.

If you think George needed an editor in book three, have you seen the two after that? Also, the last message before these new ones, where an article is quoted "No solid release date has been revealed for Winds of Winter, the sixth book in the proposed seven-volume saga, but many expect it to hit shelves late this year or at some point in 2014" - that is hilarious.

You know, I went to bed thinking about this after I responded about the show making up lines for Rickon and Osha. I think you're right about Rickon ruling Winterfell. My theory is that Rickon and Osha return to Winterfell and are hiding there. Blending in with the commoners while it's under someone else's rule. Remember, "There must always be a Stark in Winterfell".

KingInTheWest
April 9th, 2013, 10:55 PM
In the books, Rickon completely vanishes when he splits off from Bran, since neither he nor Osha get their own chapters. It also doesn't help that he was barely seen in the television show until Theon took over Winterfell. I believe Davos is currently looking for him in the books.

jom
April 10th, 2013, 06:56 PM
I love these books so far. I'm in book 2 and loving it. I'll tell you what I like...it's the MAPS! Ever since I was a kid I loved maps and the detail is pretty cool. I'm thinking of getting that MAP books thingy...I saw it at the store the other day.

Also, two questions for the experts:

1) Is there a "encyclopedia" in the works? Not necessarily by GRRM but maybe someone else? I could use something like that.

2) What's the best way (ie cheapest) of getting those "prequel" novels? Ham and eggs or some such (lol). I've looked for these but evidently they only exist in compilations...I'm not real interested in that.

jom

Ecktore
April 10th, 2013, 08:29 PM
Here you go

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Main_Page

As for the other books....if you're looking for the cheapest way, well then I suppose you'll be needing a good pirate .....

jerseydevil
April 10th, 2013, 09:12 PM
Hey Jom...I have had a few beers but I think I posted somewhere along the line that some sort of compendium was in the works. I may be totally off, not sure...but if there isn't an official one on the table I guarantee there will be some unlicensed one sooner rather than later. I will try to substantiate.

darby
April 12th, 2013, 09:38 PM
Hey JD!

So to answer your question, Cirian Hinds does not strike me as a dude to forsake his vows because there's a red thread in his robe. He doesn't strike me as a dude who makes his way over the wall and pretends to be a bard just for the adventure of it. And he doesn't strike me as a charismatic leader who brings the tribes together due to personality and respect.

He strikes me as an old, grim motherf***er.

Great as Caesar, not so much as Rayder.

jerseydevil
April 12th, 2013, 09:57 PM
While I see your points I steadfastly disagree. I think we shall see. So far they have aged him down considerably(at least visually...the beatles haircut...c'mon). And the second episode he was even more playful than the first. I think Hinds is a good enough actor that he will win you over. You cannot expect to visually believe in some young face being able to unite the clans. Even the children beyond the wall look haggard.

notbob
May 14th, 2013, 09:13 AM
Edit: Just in case you non book readers accidentally clicked on the wrong thread. DO NOT READ ANY FURTHER!

So which major event do you think will happen in this season? The red Wedding, Joffrey's death or maybe both? I'm leaning towards the Red Wedding. It seems like they are speeding toward it.

jerseydevil
May 14th, 2013, 09:16 AM
It's going to be the RW for sure. I know for a fact it's been filmed. But, judging by the previews...I'm not sure that Joffs big moment won't make the cut too. We can't talk about it on the show thread but I am wondering what The Queen in the North's pregnancy means. AND she is heading for the RW as well. Which is something that does not happen in the book.

notbob
May 14th, 2013, 09:23 AM
It's going to be the RW for sure. I know for a fact it's been filmed. But, judging by the previews...I'm not sure that Joffs big moment won't make the cut too. We can't talk about it on the show thread but I am wondering what The Queen in the North's pregnancy means. AND she is heading for the RW as well. Which is something that does not happen in the book.

It's been so long since i read the books i forgot she wasnt there. I'd imagine she is toast. You dont hear about her in the later books, so unless Martin is planning on having her show up with a baby in her arms in the next book I dont think she will survive the show.

jerseydevil
May 14th, 2013, 09:34 AM
So, a dead baby is just more emotional fallout from the rw? I don't know...anything else is a serious branch off from the books, unless it was part of what is still unwritten. A baby instantly becomes heir to Winterfell, if you stick with the belief that Bran/Rickon are presumed dead.

notbob
May 14th, 2013, 09:39 AM
So, a dead baby is just more emotional fallout from the rw? I don't know...anything else is a serious branch off from the books, unless it was part of what is still unwritten. A baby instantly becomes heir to Winterfell, if you stick with the belief that Bran/Rickon are presumed dead.

Thats kind of what I'm thinking. I think Bran is going to be the only surviving Stark. I just dont know if he will still be human.

Ecktore
May 14th, 2013, 09:51 AM
I initially thought both weddings were going to happen in this season. For some reason, I thought Joffrey's was before the RW. In any case, The Hound picking up Arya only leads me to believe the red wedding will happen in episode 9.

Also, Robbs wife was pregneant in the books as well. It's the reason he marries her, if I remember correctly.

jom
May 14th, 2013, 01:14 PM
Thats kind of what I'm thinking. I think Bran is going to be the only surviving Stark. I just dont know if he will still be human.

I don't really believe this at all but we'll see where it goes. Reason being is that even though GMMR has mentioned the end will be bitter-sweet there has been NO sweet whatsoever for, say, Arya. It's been just awful from day one.

I think rest will survive (including Jon, BTW, since I think Jon's story is a lot larger than some think). If not, I think some of the Starks will meet up again (after being scattered)...specifically Jon and Arya at the least.

I initially thought both weddings were going to happen in this season. For some reason, I thought Joffrey's was before the RW. In any case, The Hound picking up Arya only leads me to believe the red wedding will happen in episode 9.

Also, Robbs wife was pregneant in the books as well. It's the reason he marries her, if I remember correctly.

It's Ep 9...note the name of the episode...it subtly gives a clue.

jom

Ecktore
May 14th, 2013, 01:23 PM
I don't really believe this at all but we'll see where it goes. Reason being is that even though GMMR has mentioned the end will be bitter-sweet there has been NO sweet whatsoever for, say, Arya. It's been just awful from day one.

I think rest will survive (including Jon, BTW, since I think Jon's story is a lot larger than some think). If not, I think some of the Starks will meet up again (after being scattered)...specifically Jon and Arya at the least.

It's Ep 9...note the name of the episode...it subtly gives a clue.

jom

Nice title. I'm with you in regards to Jon. I'm of the opinion, that the whole series will eventually boil down to Jon(Ice) and Danerys(Fire). Oddly enough, people complain about Jon not having anything to do with the rest of the story and being so far removed, and yet, Danaerys is in the exact same situation, and nobody complains about her.

jerseydevil
May 14th, 2013, 01:33 PM
Good point. See, I love all the Watch stuff so I don't get the complaints. Don't know how caught up you are bookwise but man, I sure do wish the new book would come out and soon...

book spoiler

Cause Jon is semi dead.

Ecktore
May 14th, 2013, 01:41 PM
Good point. See, I love all the Watch stuff so I don't get the complaints. Don't know how caught up you are bookwise but man, I sure do wish the new book would come out and soon...

book spoiler

Cause Jon is semi dead.

I'm caught up. I'm almost certain he's not completely dead.

Ecktore
May 14th, 2013, 01:43 PM
And eff the the spolier notice. Peeps shouldn't be peeping in here unless they're done with the books.

Besides, you put the spoiler notice in the title!

jom
May 14th, 2013, 01:54 PM
Nice title. I'm with you in regards to Jon. I'm of the opinion, that the whole series will eventually boil down to Jon(Ice) and Danerys(Fire). Oddly enough, people complain about Jon not having anything to do with the rest of the story and being so far removed, and yet, Danaerys is in the exact same situation, and nobody complains about her.

That last thing you mentioned is why I like this story so much....even when you watch the TV show. The different parts of the story are SO far removed from each other that it gives you a different perspective. Such as when you see all of the politics in the South going on you find that when all is said and done most of it will be meaningless if those White Walkers get through the Wall. Yet most of the "game" players in the South are CLUELESS to what is really going on...it's just a myth to them.

I'm caught up. I'm almost certain he's not completely dead.

I don't think he CAN be dead for the simple reason you stated above....he is a far too important a character. Of course, the "partially dead" theories are probably around but, to me, Jon IS "fire and ice" due to his parentage. That, of course, is part of a theory that some believe (which I think is spot on). Too many clues have been put in the books but I didn't want to bring that up here...

The other reason I don't think Jon is dead is because that "scene" in the book was from his POV and no character has died when their supposed death was in their own POV....including Cat who isn't "dead" (the RW scene was Cat's). That doesn't mean Jon won't be "partially" dead but still....

jom

notbob
May 14th, 2013, 02:07 PM
He is mostly dead

jerseydevil
May 14th, 2013, 02:27 PM
he got better.

notbob
May 14th, 2013, 03:10 PM
he got better.

Wrong movie but close enough.

jerseydevil
June 10th, 2013, 06:12 AM
IF YOU HAVE NOT READ THE BOOKS>>>WRONG THREAD.

Hey. It's sort of a 'who cares' in the books, but Joff's upcoming wedding 'present'...who did it? They sure are muddying the waters. I would ALMOST bet on Cersei at this point. Removes the Tyrell threat and thus absolves her of her marriage. The fact that she can frame her brother is icing on the cake...don't forget, his marrying Sansa puts him in a position of power as far as the North.

notbob
June 10th, 2013, 07:33 AM

Hey. It's sort of a 'who cares' in the books, but Joff's upcoming wedding 'present'...who did it? They sure are muddying the waters. I would ALMOST bet on Cersei at this point. Removes the Tyrell threat and thus absolves her of her marriage. The fact that she can frame her brother is icing on the cake...don't forget, his marrying Sansa puts him in a position of power as far as the North.

Interesting idea. I wonder if the show will go about it a little differently and let us in on who did it. I always just assumed Ollena arranged it.

Ecktore
June 10th, 2013, 07:37 AM
Interesting idea. I wonder if the show will go about it a little differently and let us in on who did it. I always just assumed Ollena arranged it.

I had the same impression. But I'm pretty sure, I thought Tyrion confessed to doing it at some point. Am I mistaken?

notbob
June 10th, 2013, 07:59 AM
I had the same impression. But I'm pretty sure, I thought Tyrion confessed to doing it at some point. Am I mistaken?

Think he took the blame, but I don't think he did it. O and where the **** is Coldhands?

Ecktore
June 10th, 2013, 08:28 AM
Think he took the blame, but I don't think he did it. O and where the **** is Coldhands?

Those were my exact thoughts. I'm guessing they introduce him later in season 4. A few us here believe it's Benjen, and if that really is the case, I'm guessing they'll want to re-introduce him once Bran is actually past the wall.

notbob
June 10th, 2013, 08:44 AM
I always thought it was Benjen as well. If that is the case, do they use make-up on the actor or go CGI. Using the actor would pretty much give away his identity.

jerseydevil
June 10th, 2013, 08:50 AM
I never guessed it was Benjen...makes a lot of sense though. Jom was the first one who supposed that to me. Damit Martin...I could sure get along a lot better with the yearlong wait if i had something to read in the meantime ya bastard!!!!

Ecktore
June 10th, 2013, 09:53 AM
Just go through A Storm of Swords again.

notbob
June 10th, 2013, 09:55 AM
or read the HF boards thread.

Books: A Song of Ice and Fire *SPOILERS* Part III - HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1438115)

There is some good discussion in there. Then again there is a lot of the typical HF over reaction as well.

Ecktore
June 10th, 2013, 10:38 AM
So, what did you guys think of the Theon/Reek scenes? They were pretty brutal, but I'm glad they were included because we got to see how the transformation from Theon to Reek actually happened. And, I gotta say, I was somewhat cheering when his sister (I forget her name) stood up against Mr. Greyjoy and set sail to find her brother.

However, now that I think about it, in the books, wasn't there a huge power struggle on the Iron Islands going on BEFORE she arrives to rescue him?

darby
June 10th, 2013, 10:47 AM

Dudes. Pay attention when you read, man!

**Spoilers**

Littlefinger has Joffrey killed in order to create even more havoc and just enough of a commotion to "free" Sansa. He conspired with his lover, Lyssa Arryn, who in turn murdered her husband as a way to get this whole ball of wax started. They talk about it right before he pushes her out of the Moon Door, thereby claiming status as Protector of the Vale as father-in-law to the weird kid.

And with Tyrion killed for his perceived crime, that leaves Littlefinger free to marry Sansa and claim Lordship of the North as well. But then Tyrion gets away.

Outside of the books, the leading theory is that Coldhands is Benjen, but... apparently prequel materials also point to some other possibilities.

The real question I think holds the key to everything is: Who are Jon Snow and possibly Tyrion?

notbob
June 10th, 2013, 10:53 AM
So, what did you guys think of the Theon/Reek scenes? They were pretty brutal, but I'm glad they were included because we got to see how the transformation from Theon to Reek actually happened. And, I gotta say, I was somewhat cheering when his sister (I forget her name) stood up against Mr. Greyjoy and set sail to find her brother.

However, now that I think about it, in the books, wasn't there a huge power struggle on the Iron Islands going on BEFORE she arrives to rescue him?

Balon died earlier in the books so yeah there was the whole power struggle thing.

Ecktore
June 10th, 2013, 11:02 AM
Dudes. Pay attention when you read, man!

**Spoilers**

Littlefinger has Joffrey killed in order to create even more havoc and just enough of a commotion to "free" Sansa. He conspired with his lover, Lyssa Arryn, who in turn murdered her husband as a way to get this whole ball of wax started. They talk about it right before he pushes her out of the Moon Door, thereby claiming status as Protector of the Vale as father-in-law to the weird kid.

And with Tyrion killed for his perceived crime, that leaves Littlefinger free to marry Sansa and claim Lordship of the North as well. But then Tyrion gets away.

Outside of the books, the leading theory is that Coldhands is Benjen, but... apparently prequel materials also point to some other possibilities.

The real question I think holds the key to everything is: Who are Jon Snow and possibly Tyrion?

Yep, forgot some of the details of that conversation between LittleFinger and Lyssa.

I pointed out earlier in this thread that Tyrion had quite an affection for dragons. And we pretty much know that Tywin has claimed Tyrion as his son even though he isn't. Also, we only know Jon's mother's first name...So I'm pretty certain about Tyrion. Jon, I can only assume and go based on what others have told me. I must have missed something about him

notbob
June 10th, 2013, 11:21 AM
Yep, forgot some of the details of that conversation between LittleFinger and Lyssa.

I pointed out earlier in this thread that Tyrion had quite an affection for dragons. And we pretty much know that Tywin has claimed Tyrion as his son even though he isn't. Also, we only know Jon's mother's first name...So I'm pretty certain about Tyrion. Jon, I can only assume and go based on what others have told me. I must have missed something about him

There is a good chance that Eddard wasnt his father. One of the reasons he never wanted to discuss the situation with Jon or anyone else.

darby
June 10th, 2013, 11:35 AM
Tyrion's mother wasn't a Targaryn. There is some speculation about his father, though. Rumor was that the Mad King had a thing for Tywin's wife.

Jon Snow is possibly still a bastard Stark. Only the prevailing theory is that the Stark is Ned's sister and the father is Rhaegar Targaryen. She made Ned promise to keep it a secret in order to keep Jon safe from newly-crowned King Robert.

jerseydevil
June 10th, 2013, 11:40 AM
Ok, so since we are going all speculation heavy what is the prevailing theory Re: Jon being incovenienced by being mostly dead right now?

Ecktore
June 10th, 2013, 11:43 AM
Damn it. Are you guys getting this from the books? If so, I may have to go through them a third time.

Dexter
June 10th, 2013, 12:23 PM
No, it's merely speculation by fans, but it does make sense.

Ecktore
June 10th, 2013, 12:38 PM
Ok, so since we are going all speculation heavy what is the prevailing theory Re: Jon being incovenienced by being mostly dead right now?

I'm thinking the Red Woman will bring him back to life ala Thoros of Myr.

Ecktore
June 10th, 2013, 12:40 PM
So essentially, the Three Headed Dragon will be Daenerys, Jon, and Tyrion.

Dexter
June 10th, 2013, 12:41 PM
I think Griff has a bigger role than we've read so far.

notbob
June 10th, 2013, 12:42 PM
So essentially, the Three Headed Dragon will be Daenerys, Jon, and Tyrion.

I have heard of this three headed dragon theory, but is it referenced in the books?

Dexter
June 10th, 2013, 12:48 PM
I have heard of this three headed dragon theory, but is it referenced in the books?

A Clash of Kings-Chapter 48 Page 508 a man who looks like Viserys, but taller and with darker eyes, who says to a woman nursing a baby, "Aegon… What better name for a King… He is the Prince that was Promised, and his is the song of ice and fire"; and when the man’s eyes meet Dany’s, he says either to her or the woman with the baby, "There must be one more… The dragon has three heads", and he picks up a silver harp and begins to play;

:woot:

Ecktore
June 10th, 2013, 12:49 PM

No. Just more speculation based on speculation.

Edit - Nevermind. Dexter found something.

jerseydevil
June 10th, 2013, 01:06 PM
I'm thinking the Red Woman will bring him back to life ala Thoros of Myr.

That is stretching credibility a bit. I really wonder if they will bring back Cat a la the Red God. That hasn't paid off in the books(so far) so i wonder if they just delete it. Starting to feel like the whole 'who shall rule the Ironborn' stuff is going to be excised too. Wouldn't have a problem with that because it really was kinda dead endy...except for the Uncle(?) who had sailed beyond and all that. Although that feels like another story almost. Would be able to figure out more if we all knew what was in store for these seemingly half baked plots in the last books.

I really don't remember Littlefinger confessing. Have to go back and re-read. That whole bit was kinda melodramatic and felt like a hindrance to me getting to parts of the story I wanted to read. Still, i should have 'membered(oooh sorry Theon) that.

notbob
June 10th, 2013, 01:11 PM
That is stretching credibility a bit. I really wonder if they will bring back Cat a la the Red God. That hasn't paid off in the books(so far) so i wonder if they just delete it. Starting to feel like the whole 'who shall rule the Ironborn' stuff is going to be excised too. Wouldn't have a problem with that because it really was kinda dead endy...except for the Uncle(?) who had sailed beyond and all that. Although that feels like another story almost. Would be able to figure out more if we all knew what was in store for these seemingly half baked plots in the last books.

I really don't remember Littlefinger confessing. Have to go back and re-read. That whole bit was kinda melodramatic and felt like a hindrance to me getting to parts of the story I wanted to read. Still, i should have 'membered(oooh sorry Theon) that.

You did that on purpose

Way to kick a guy while he is down

Ecktore
June 10th, 2013, 01:26 PM
That is stretching credibility a bit. I really wonder if they will bring back Cat a la the Red God. That hasn't paid off in the books(so far) so i wonder if they just delete it.

How is that stretching credibility? If Thoros can do it, why not Mellisandre?

jerseydevil
June 10th, 2013, 01:58 PM
How is that stretching credibility? If Thoros can do it, why not Mellisandre?

I just think that the more supernatural aspects of the story only work in small doses. The reality is the thing. When Thoros did it, it was startling, yet you accepted it because it had that air of unusual. With Cat...that was pushing it a bit. Especially when they talk about Ned w/Arya and say 'it doesn't work that way'. If Jon is able to swing it...there has to be some consequence or new aspect or it is going to seem a bit like a cheap plot device to Marvel comics(kill and bring back) a character. I hope it was some kind of trick, like the death of Mance Rayder, that Jon may or may not have been a part of.

Ecktore
June 10th, 2013, 02:31 PM
The back from the dead thing is all I had. Could be a trick, but the way that chapter ended...I don't know. Jon can't be dead....he can't be.

jom
June 10th, 2013, 03:57 PM
Jon: He ain't dead...no way.

I believe in R + L = J

Do you? Muhahah!

jom

Edit to add: Joffery's present was from what's her name...the grandma (can remember if she's a Tyrell or a Martell) and Littlefinger as I recall. Tyrion had nothing to do with it.

jerseydevil
June 10th, 2013, 03:58 PM
The back from the dead thing is all I had. Could be a trick, but the way that chapter ended...I don't know. Jon can't be dead....he can't be.

Or can he????

Deadmarsh28
June 10th, 2013, 04:48 PM
Help me out guys, is this thread only for the storyline itself?

If it's for everything book-related...man, I really need to vent and bitch about A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons. No offense, but I think GRR Martin is really starting to lose the plot about the series.

I absolutely LOVED the first three books and often read until late in the night just to see what happens next. But the last two books? Total disappointment to me.

It took me about three months to read through AFfC. Sure, it has some good parts but most of the times it's just...nothing happens. Endless descriptions of food, thousands of new but totally irrelevant characters (plus their entire family tree's bio's) and it seems like every character is either sitting someplace, thinking about what to do next or traveling someplace, thinking about what to do next. Reading through that behemoth of a book was just...tiring, it almost felt like a chore. I read the Wikipedia page afterwards and it seems like they summed up everything that happenend in half an hour's worth of text. Frustrating.

After a hiatus of a few months, I recently gave A Dance with Dragons a shot, this time as an audiobook (48 hours long, by the way). I'm now at hour five...and it's the same thing again! Food, traveling, more food, endless descriptions, even more food, and nothing is happening. Even the Tyrion chapters have lost the special something. I peaked at some reviews on Amazon, but they more or less tell me that this will continue for the rest of the book. I'm one food description away from opening Wikipedia and getting the summary again.

I don't know...GRR Martin is a great writer, but does nobody edit these things anymore, now that he has success? Couldn't they just cut the two books together? I mean, each book has more pages than the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy. Or did the publisher want maximum cash? And when is the series going to end if Martin continues at this pace? I mean, there's not even a hint at a possible ending in sight (at least for me).

Long story short, Martin has almost lost me as a reader right now, as sad as it is.

Sorry for the rant, but does anybody feel the same? I'd also love to hear some thoughts from you folks that liked the books...maybe I just have bad taste. :lol:

jerseydevil
June 10th, 2013, 05:47 PM
Help me out guys, is this thread only for the storyline itself?

If it's for everything book-related...man, I really need to vent and bitch about A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons. No offense, but I think GRR Martin is really starting to lose the plot about the series.

I absolutely LOVED the first three books and often read until late in the night just to see what happens next. But the last two books? Total disappointment to me.

It took me about three months to read through AFfC. Sure, it has some good parts but most of the times it's just...nothing happens. Endless descriptions of food, thousands of new but totally irrelevant characters (plus their entire family tree's bio's) and it seems like every character is either sitting someplace, thinking about what to do next or traveling someplace, thinking about what to do next. Reading through that behemoth of a book was just...tiring, it almost felt like a chore. I read the Wikipedia page afterwards and it seems like they summed up everything that happenend in half an hour's worth of text. Frustrating.

After a hiatus of a few months, I recently gave A Dance with Dragons a shot, this time as an audiobook (48 hours long, by the way). I'm now at hour five...and it's the same thing again! Food, traveling, more food, endless descriptions, even more food, and nothing is happening. Even the Tyrion chapters have lost the special something. I peaked at some reviews on Amazon, but they more or less tell me that this will continue for the rest of the book. I'm one food description away from opening Wikipedia and getting the summary again.

I don't know...GRR Martin is a great writer, but does nobody edit these things anymore, now that he has success? Couldn't they just cut the two books together? I mean, each book has more pages than the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy. Or did the publisher want maximum cash? And when is the series going to end if Martin continues at this pace? I mean, there's not even a hint at a possible ending in sight (at least for me).

Long story short, Martin has almost lost me as a reader right now, as sad as it is.

Sorry for the rant, but does anybody feel the same? I'd also love to hear some thoughts from you folks that liked the books...maybe I just have bad taste. :lol:

Kind of valid really. But we don't know the long game. I think as the story has grown the books have become a bit bloated. But that's ok. Rather have excess than not enough. I know that I am not going to judge the series until it's complete. But there are things that frustrate.

Ecktore
June 10th, 2013, 06:50 PM
I rather enjoyed A Dance with Dragons. Second best of the series IMO. A Feast For Crows, I agree with in terms of it feeling like a chore. I have the audio for the whole series, and it still felt that way. Do finish up A Dance With Dragons, you won't be disappointed.

darby
June 10th, 2013, 09:38 PM
Books 4-5 were the middle section. One extra fat book split up in order to get characters from the preamble (1-3) to the finale (6-7). They fill in story lines, give you insight an motivations rather than set piece after set piece. You get to see other plots coming together from long ago building into the story now.

And in the end, aaaaaallllll of these pieces are going to come crashing together into one massive confrontation that makes the War of the Five Kings look like some paltry skirmishes between hedge knights.

Ecktore
June 11th, 2013, 04:47 AM
Or can he????

I REALLY REALLY REALLY HOPE he Isn't.

jom
June 11th, 2013, 02:51 PM
I REALLY REALLY REALLY HOPE he Isn't.

Like I said earlier...I don't believe it for a minute...

jom

jerseydevil
June 11th, 2013, 03:59 PM
Ha...have you guys learned nothing from Martin? It's like you can't conceive that he would actually have a character die a meaningless and abrupt death.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c179/rtbstrd1331/second%20album%20of%202013/curry_zpsa6b64812.gif (http://s27.photobucket.com/user/rtbstrd1331/media/second%20album%20of%202013/curry_zpsa6b64812.gif.html)

jom
June 11th, 2013, 05:06 PM
Ha...have you guys learned nothing from Martin? It's like you can't conceive that he would actually have a character die a meaningless and abrupt death.

So that means he'll kill of JS as well? It's not that simple. I doubt it considering the...um...huge amount of possible story behind the character. But who knows...we'll see.

jom

jerseydevil
June 11th, 2013, 05:26 PM
I doubt it too. But I have learned to expect the unexpected.

darby
June 11th, 2013, 05:51 PM
The only problem with these theories is that there are already storylines/characters that have caught up to the books. Without new material MAJOR characters are going to have to sit on the sidelines after season 4. Benioff/Weiss have juggled themselves into a corner that only Martin can resolve after that.

Like who?

jerseydevil
June 11th, 2013, 05:55 PM
Rickon/Osha...and to a lesser extent the Davos/Mel/Stannis trio

EDIT:Actually, not Stannis/Mel as much as Davos.

jerseydevil
June 11th, 2013, 06:03 PM
‘Game of Thrones’ Season 4: The 10 Moments We Can’t Wait to See (http://screencrush.com/game-of-thrones-season-4-10-moments/)

Oh, and Ray Stevenson for Victarion Greyjoy, please.

Pretty sure I had some discharge/runoff at the mere suggestion of this.

Ecktore
June 11th, 2013, 07:03 PM
I really wouldn't put it past them to start melting all three books beginning next season. Mainly because some of the storylines have progressed quicker than others, and there is a **** load of exciting things that happen towards the end of book 3. Just look at the link JD provided! So you mix in some of the exciting stuff with the introductions of new players. Just my thought as to how they can handle it.

jom
June 11th, 2013, 11:33 PM
‘Game of Thrones’ Season 4: The 10 Moments We Can’t Wait to See (http://screencrush.com/game-of-thrones-season-4-10-moments/)

Oh, and Ray Stevenson for Victarion Greyjoy, please.

Pretty sure I had some discharge/runoff at the mere suggestion of this.

Vic Greyjoy isn't until, what, book 4 or 5 so I don't think S4 TV needs him just yet...

On TV S4: They will have to melt the books together anyway since Book 4 and 5 happen at the same time more or less. It will be interesting to see how they structure it.

I'm also getting damn confused as I go along...while I was viewing TV S1 and S2 I was reading the first three books. I still can't keep straight what happens in one medium and not the other. It's nuts! Is it Gendry or is it Edric Snow? Is Bolton at Harrenhal or is it Tywin? Yikes!

jom

Ecktore
June 26th, 2013, 07:41 AM
Jon: He ain't dead...no way.

I believe in R + L = J

Do you? Muhahah!

jom

Actually, the more I go through the books, the more it's starting to make sense.

Ecktore
June 28th, 2013, 02:32 PM
I can totally see this.

'Game of Thrones' casts major season 4 role: Oberyn the Red Viper | Inside TV | EW.com (http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/06/28/thrones-red-viper-oberyn/)

jom
June 30th, 2013, 05:21 PM
Actually, the more I go through the books, the more it's starting to make sense.

You ought to go look at a few websites that cover it. Not only does it make sense it almost HAS to be the case.

Funny thing is the vast majority of the clues were in the FIRST book...mainly because Ned was still alive and had POV chapters...so it really isn't a spoiler for book readers obviously. I've even noted a few little clues in the TV show's first season...although that could be me just reading things into some of what the actors are doing.

Once Jojen and Meera Reed's father gets into the story (in the book) more is going to be made of this....

jom

Anjin-san
July 3rd, 2013, 01:25 PM

This is my thought as well. I made mention in the other thread but didn't want to upset anyone only watching the show.
I'm just wondering why they didn't include that in the show. It makes for a very good mystery.

Ecktore
July 3rd, 2013, 01:51 PM
It's a mystery to the reader because you can't see the stag rider, and both Sam and Gillie have no idea what Benjen looks like. I'm almost certain that Bran doesn't remember what he looks like either. If they were to show him in the show, you would instantly know that it was him, or not. This is why I think the stag rider won't be a part of the show.

This is kinda why Selmy revealed himself to Danaerys as soon as he did in the show.

Anjin-san
July 3rd, 2013, 04:15 PM
It's a mystery to the reader because you can't see the stag rider, and both Sam and Gillie have no idea what Benjen looks like. I'm almost certain that Bran doesn't remember what he looks like either. If they were to show him in the show, you would instantly know that it was him, or not. This is why I think the stag rider won't be a part of the show.

This is kinda why Selmy revealed himself to Danaerys as soon as he did in the show.

I was really hoping to see 'Strong Belwas' along with Selmy in the show.

I really need to read the books again because the show has dulled some of my memories. I think i'm mostly looking forward to seeing where Danearys story goes. I sure hope Mr. Martin gets her to Westeros without any unfortunate incidents.....wait, never mind about that last part as i'm sure a nuclear explosion will come into play at some point :)

jerseydevil
September 5th, 2013, 12:36 PM
4 spoilery things we learned about the next Song of Ice and Fire novel | Blastr (http://www.blastr.com/2013-9-4/4-spoilery-things-we-learned-about-next-song-ice-and-fire-novel)

jerseydevil
October 16th, 2013, 12:04 PM
George R.R. Martin talks future Thrones plots + TV vs. book differences | Blastr (http://www.blastr.com/2013-10-15/george-rr-martin-talks-future-thrones-plots-tv-vs-book-differences)

notbob
October 16th, 2013, 12:29 PM
George R.R. Martin talks future Thrones plots + TV vs. book differences | Blastr (http://www.blastr.com/2013-10-15/george-rr-martin-talks-future-thrones-plots-tv-vs-book-differences)

Interesting. I always assumed the changes in the show such as leaving out some of the Lanisters or killing off certain characters was done because they didnt have a part to play in the later books and it wouldnt cause any problems down the line.

jom
October 17th, 2013, 05:26 PM
Interesting. I always assumed the changes in the show such as leaving out some of the Lanisters or killing off certain characters was done because they didnt have a part to play in the later books and it wouldnt cause any problems down the line.

I thought so as well at first but I heard GRRM state during this past season (3) that this "butterfly" affect could come up. I didn't know anything about the specific changes (the singer and the Tyrells). In fact, I didn't know that the guy who lost his tongue (on TV) was the same guy that has dealings with Sansa later (in book 3 and 4). To me, they could just add another character for that and it won't be a big deal. The Tyrells I'm no so sure about....as much of that is probably part of the books that haven't been written.

jom

Noble Savage
April 14th, 2014, 08:33 AM
Have any of you heard the arguments for the concepts that R+L=J (Raegar Targaryan + Lyanna Stark = Jon Snow)

Or the far-out concept that Roose Bolton is an immortal?

jom
April 14th, 2014, 08:41 AM
Have any of you heard the arguments for the concepts that R+L=J ********

Or the far-out concept that Roose Bolton is an immortal?

I haven't heard the Bolton argument at all...I don't know where THAT one comes from at all. The only character I know of that is anywhere near "immortal" is Coldhands. Who, BTW, may or may not be in the TV show. I still think that quick shot in the earlier preview was him. We'll see....

The R+L=J thing is mostly based on the first book as Ned was still alive. His POV chapters are the primary material for that one. That, as we know, has not been revealed in the books yet but I'm pretty certain it is spot on. The few other references in the books are a red herring.

I'm glad you brought this thread up as it is needed to avoid spoilers in the other one.

jom

jerseydevil
April 14th, 2014, 08:45 AM
I liked that they came back around to the Ser Dontos storyline(on the show). It was messy/awkward in the book and I think they did a really nice job of trimming it up. It will be especially good at showing Littlefinger's casual cruelty if his fate is the same as in the books.
Always thought it was telling how little it mattered in the end who it was that murdered Joffrey.

Noble Savage
April 14th, 2014, 08:55 AM
The Roose Bolton idea comes from his sketchy age comparisons to other characters, obsession with leeching, flaying men, being pretty okay with his bastard killing all this other children, and the fact that Ramsay has the same eyes as Roose and could be used as 'a new skin' when his current body starts to fail.
Fun speculation: (Spoilers All) Roose Bolton: Age is just a Number : asoiaf (http://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/1w8ewz/spoilers_all_roose_bolton_age_is_just_a_number/)

jom
April 14th, 2014, 08:59 AM
I liked that they came back around to the Ser Dontos storyline(on the show). It was messy/awkward in the book and I think they did a really nice job of trimming it up. It will be especially good at showing Littlefinger's casual cruelty if his fate is the same as in the books.
Always thought it was telling how little it mattered in the end who it was that murdered Joffrey.

I still wonder why the Tyrells had the poison planted and brought in by Sansa. Why didn't Olenna just bring the pill in herself? It didn't make much sense....

As to Littlefinger: that guy is just the "king of chaos". He essentially started the whole damn thing by talking Lysa Arryn into poisoning her husband.

jom

jerseydevil
April 28th, 2014, 06:06 AM
Ok...from here on out(?) things are gonna get interesting. The whole intersection of Bran's Bunch/the Craster Killers/and soon the Black Watch feels like some kinda short story addition/appendix to the narrative, but the clear declaration that Lady Olenna was behind the King's death, and that odd odd scene at the end with the Walker illuminati and the baby hints of possible, dare I say it, book spoilers. I really have to rewatch because they really kinda pulled the rug out last night.

Noble Savage
April 28th, 2014, 09:27 AM
Totally agree. I always assumed Craster's sons were just snacks for the walkers, now? I mean there has always been multiple types of the undead in this story, the relentless kill you now now now risen slain. The hinted as intelligent Walkers, and of course Blackhands.
So the Walkers are corrupted humans? Appears so now.

jerseydevil
April 28th, 2014, 09:40 AM
Totally agree. I always assumed Craster's sons were just snacks for the walkers, now? I mean there has always been multiple types of the undead in this story, the relentless kill you now now now risen slain. The hinted as intelligent Walkers, and of course Blackhands.
So the Walkers are corrupted humans? Appears so now.

Corrupted in the sense that they are altered...but I am not as sure about intentions now. That scene at the end certainly at least hinted of the walkers having some higher purpose. And the setting with the circle and stones/monoliths had an almost druidic sense to them. Up till now the vague nature of the walkers has been of an almost fairytale BIG BAD...yet, in my opinion, the scene last night put a LOT of doubt on that. Who knows, were they projecting based on conversations with Martin or was this based on specific answers given by the man. I expect there will be articles, probably later in the day, that might fill in some of the blanks and I will keep my eyes open and post them here as soon as...

Oh yeah, Ratboy Locke infiltrating the Nights Watch...I don't recall that in the book. And, if oaths are to be taken seriously, how can he leave? Wouldn't even House Bolton be compelled to seperate his head for leaving his duties, despite whatever pretense he joined for?

Noble Savage
April 28th, 2014, 09:56 AM
Maybe the Walkers ARE the 'First Men'?

mmmcammy
April 28th, 2014, 10:00 AM
Vargo Hoat infiltrating the Night's Watch is interesting. I'm definitely curious what his motive is. Is he there to kill Jon on Roose Bolton's orders? Definitely intrigued by that.

Bran's storyline is a yawnfest for me, so I'm kind of glad they've added to it.

I'm still processing the white walkers. I always assumed as well that Craster's sons were snacks, but apparently there's an army of white walker babies crawling around? I don't even know. I have to say though, it was kind of nice being surprised by this show for once.

Ecktore
April 28th, 2014, 10:05 AM
Corrupted in the sense that they are altered...but I am not as sure about intentions now. That scene at the end certainly at least hinted of the walkers having some higher purpose. And the setting with the circle and stones/monoliths had an almost druidic sense to them. Up till now the vague nature of the walkers has been of an almost fairytale BIG BAD...yet, in my opinion, the scene last night put a LOT of doubt on that. Who knows, were they projecting based on conversations with Martin or was this based on specific answers given by the man. I expect there will be articles, probably later in the day, that might fill in some of the blanks and I will keep my eyes open and post them here as soon as...

Oh yeah, Ratboy Locke infiltrating the Nights Watch...I don't recall that in the book. And, if oaths are to be taken seriously, how can he leave? Wouldn't even House Bolton be compelled to seperate his head for leaving his duties, despite whatever pretense he joined for?

Locke wasn't in the books....... But I don't recall Vargo being sent to Castle Black either. In the show, I can't recall when he was banished to the Wall, but my wife said Tywin sent him there as punishment for cutting off Jaime's hand. They're making it seem as though he's there to cause more trouble..... I can't take this deviation from the books!!!

jerseydevil
April 28th, 2014, 10:15 AM
Locke wasn't in the books....... But I don't recall Vargo being sent to Castle Black either. In the show, I can't recall when he was banished to the Wall, but my wife said Tywin sent him there as punishment for cutting off Jaime's hand. They're making it seem as though he's there to cause more trouble..... I can't take this deviation from the books!!!

I think we had better get used to the deviation. For one thing, the books following #3 (http://letsgokings.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=3) were simply too huge in scope to translate. And, upon reflection, a little...bloated. I think there are a LOT of issues that could be rectified by simply combining and re-working. For another thing, the endgame is just not in sight for the books. They reckon they have (what was it) 3(?) more seasons and then a movie? so yeah. I think we are gonna get a prediction of events(to a point) combined with wholesale editorial changes. Buckle in kids...gonna get bumpy.

mmmcammy
April 28th, 2014, 10:17 AM

Did Tywin even see him though? Last time we saw Vargo was with Roose Bolton, from what I can remember, which makes me think he's there on Bolton's orders. But I could totally be remembering wrong.

Back to Bran....it doesn't seem like it will happen based on the previews for next week, but I was really hoping Coldhands would show up to rescue Bran & Co. from Craster's Keep.

Ecktore
April 28th, 2014, 10:34 AM
Well, I guess I'm going to have to rewatch these episodes.

jom
April 28th, 2014, 10:46 AM
After having seen the episode twice now here are my thoughts:

1) I was surprised that Bran was even mentioned to John by Sam. In the books Bran swears Sam to silence on the matter but that did not happen in the show so I should have seen that one coming. With the addition of Locke I can only guess they are trying to intensify Bran's storyline (including being at Caster's). In the books his storyline is rather ethereal as he goes to become some sort of tree and meets Bloodraven. That's not to say it won't eventually happen but this does make Bran's storyline more "interesting" for people watching a TV show, IMO.

2) Olenna: I've only read through the 3rd book twice but I've known it was Olenna that actually put the poison in the glass all along so I don't see why having her tell Margery about it is a problem. I think in the books you only hear it from Peter (telling Sansa).

3) A bit of a backing up here: On the rape scene last week they screwed that up. It was NOT suppose to be a rape...hell, even in this weeks episode it is clear there is no implication of it being so. The director and editors messed that scene up last week pretty badly.

4) I loved the Brianne/Pod scene...it will be of interest to me to see if those two end up being the ones who "find" Lady Stoneheart. Whatever the case, I'd bet a LOT of money the LAST scene of episode 10 will be the big reveal in that regard.

5) Yes, Locke is not in the books. Vargo Hoat was killed by the Mountain at Harrenhall in the books. BTW, I don't think Hoat actually cut of Jaime's hand...I think that was one of his sidekicks...some guy from Essos.

My best guess here is that most of these deviating storylines will get back in line. And...it's still not certain John will actually meet up with Bran. Maybe they somehow escape before John and the gang get there? Also, my guess is that John will figure out Locke's intentions about Bran and "take care" of it.

jom

jerseydevil
April 28th, 2014, 10:54 AM
I tell ya...as nice as it has been to be ahead of the people who haven't read the books, I find the confusion and ensuing discussion brought on by the changes a lot of fun so far. :popcorn:

jom
April 28th, 2014, 11:14 AM
Whoops...I completely forgot to bring up the White Walkers in my last post.

Basically, I think they are ahead of the books on this one. So we, as readers, are getting something new. In the books the WWs are pretty much a mystery although the author has alluded to some connections with other things we've seen in the books (ie magic) but it is uncertain to the reader. What I took from that final scene is that the WWs are nothing more than transformed humans. I could be WAY OFF but that's how I saw it.

jom

mmmcammy
April 28th, 2014, 11:19 AM
Regarding Olenna and Margaery, I really liked how Margaery was in on Joffrey's murder in the books. She seemed so innocent but was super cunning, which made her such an interesting character, so I was a little disappointed that Olenna had to spell it out for her in this episode. However, she immediately used her knowledge that her grandma gave her to go visit with Tommen, so it seems like they're still going that direction and she'll end up being a major player like she's supposed to be. So here for the eventual Margaery/Cersei showdown.

I LOVE Brienne and Podrick. It kinda sucks that he's been assigned to her in the show rather than having them find each other like in the books, but it definitely works better for the show this way.

As for Lady Stoneheart, that reveal 10000000000% NEEDS to be the last scene of the season. There's no reason for it not to be and I CANNOT WAIT!!

jerseydevil
May 5th, 2014, 08:31 AM
Ok, refresh my failing memory time...but the Littlefinger/Lyssa Arrin plot to kill her husband was never broached in the books, was it? I think I would have remembered CRazyEyes/Worst Mother Ever setting up her sister/Brother in law like that. Man, nobody plays the GAME like Littlefinger, even though Cersei tried to win over Oberyn's 'hearts and minds'...

I also think we are gonna go round again on Jamie. From the appearance of the previews for next episode he is going all 'No...you're out of order, you're out of order, this whole courtroom is out of order' during Tyrion's so called trial.I don't recall him being such a vocal supporter in the books, once again, if I have that wrong please hit the memory refresh button for me.

And I do think that having Bran ACTUALLY have to choose between his ambiguous destiny and his brother was a nice touch. Tying Bran and the Ghost Chasers into the storyline a little more securely might help people bear with the more difficult parts of his arc. And stop using Hodor as a weapon!!!!

mmmcammy
May 5th, 2014, 09:50 AM
Ok, refresh my failing memory time...but the Littlefinger/Lyssa Arrin plot to kill her husband was never broached in the books, was it? I think I would have remembered CRazyEyes/Worst Mother Ever setting up her sister/Brother in law like that. Man, nobody plays the GAME like Littlefinger, even though Cersei tried to win over Oberyn's 'hearts and minds'...

I also think we are gonna go round again on Jamie. From the appearance of the previews for next episode he is going all 'No...you're out of order, you're out of order, this whole courtroom is out of order' during Tyrion's so called trial.I don't recall him being such a vocal supporter in the books, once again, if I have that wrong please hit the memory refresh button for me.

And I do think that having Bran ACTUALLY have to choose between his ambiguous destiny and his brother was a nice touch. Tying Bran and the Ghost Chasers into the storyline a little more securely might help people bear with the more difficult parts of his arc. And stop using Hodor as a weapon!!!!

The Littlefinger/Lysa Arryn reveal happens in the books after Lysa sees Littlefinger kiss Sansa and goes crazy, riiiiiiight before Littlefinger shoves her out the moon door.

So I'm a little bummed the reveal happened earlier in the show instead of all at once, because that entire sequence is one of my favorite things that's ever happened in the books. SO AWESOME.

I like what they did with Bran's storyline too, because it's a yawnfest for me in the book. Poor Hodor :(

jom
May 5th, 2014, 11:31 AM
Bran: His story is actually less a "yawnfest" than Dany's IMO. They did step it up for the TV show though.

Lysa: I guess that is correct in that the John Arryn reveal was that last scene before Lysa "flys". I've read it twice and even then don't remember off hand. It was a good spot to do in the TV show though. I'm curious whether we'll see Sansa building the little "snow Winterfell" and the kiss from Petyn that Lysa sees. That should increase her jealousy.

In case anyone doesn't remember the reason Lysa wanted John Arryn dead is that he was going to send their son Robert (Robin in the show) to Stannis Baratheon as a squire or some such. Lysa didn't want to let he "baby" go I guess. Petyr used this to start the chaos.

Jaime: Yeah, I don't think he gets vocal at all in the books. In fact, he doesn't really get involved until AFTER the big fight with Oberyn/Mountain when he lets Tyrion out...I could be wrong but that's how I remember it.

jom

mmmcammy
May 5th, 2014, 11:45 AM
Bran: His story is actually less a "yawnfest" than Dany's IMO. They did step it up for the TV show though.

Lysa: I guess that is correct in that the John Arryn reveal was that last scene before Lysa "flys". I've read it twice and even then don't remember off hand. It was a good spot to do in the TV show though. I'm curious whether we'll see Sansa building the little "snow Winterfell" and the kiss from Petyn that Lysa sees. That should increase her jealousy.

In case anyone doesn't remember the reason Lysa wanted John Arryn dead is that he was going to send their son Robert (Robin in the show) to Stannis Baratheon as a squire or some such. Lysa didn't want to let he "baby" go I guess. Petyr used this to start the chaos.

Jaime: Yeah, I don't think he gets vocal at all in the books. In fact, he doesn't really get involved until AFTER the big fight with Oberyn/Mountain when he lets Tyrion out...I could be wrong but that's how I remember it.

jom

I will never forgive the showrunners if Sansa's snow castle doesn't happen. I said it in my previous post, but that entire sequence is one of my favorite parts in all of the books so far. I literally was just going "oh **** oh **** oh **** oh ****" while reading and it was glorious.

I don't really remember Jaime being too involved in Tyrion's trial until the end when he frees him, but I could definitely be remembering wrong.

I mentioned this in the other thread, but I'm curious about Gendry. Do you guys think he's going to show up this season? According to the books, he wouldn't show up until next season but I'm wondering if they'll blend things together and maybe have him join the Brienne and Pod show unlike in the books. I don't think it's an accident that Arya mentioned the Red Witch, Thoros and Beric because she was obviously thinking about Gendry.

KingInTheWest
May 6th, 2014, 12:18 AM
Love how they hid the Moon Door reminder in Robin displaying what a pampered brat he is by dropping his present (that he loved a moment earlier) down it without a thought.

jerseydevil
May 19th, 2014, 05:38 AM
Oberyn(tv) is sooooooooooooo much better than Oberyn(book). I am truly going to miss him at the conclusion of this season. Points to the show for bettering that arc. I still really think that we are going to get show apporoximations of what hasn't been written yet at this point. Sansa/Petyr's storyline has hit it's established point in the book, and Tyrion's story is either going to be drawn out(a la the books) or they will probably cut out a lot of that and move him forward. Some grey areas exist. Bran...they need to start moving on that. Arya's 'adventures in misery' as well(although that seems to be a foregone conclusion as far as her getting on the boat at or before the end of the season). Yeah. The next season should be eye opening even for book readers, and this is where they will distinguish themselves one way or the other.

jom
May 19th, 2014, 08:20 AM
Using a guide that Season 4 ends at the same time (roughly) as book 3:

Bran: They are already way ahead of the books so I don't know what'll happen here. The Craster's Keep slowed it down a bit though.
Dany: Also, well ahead so I can only imagine it will slow down even more than it already has.
Tyrion: They can continue at a regular book/TV pace since it seems it will end at the same point as the books.
John: Similar to Tyrion.
Arya: The story has slowed down but it looks as it will end at the same point as the book.

On Oberyn: Is a great character in the TV show so it'll be a huge loss. One can only hope they do the Dorne storyline well enough for it to pay off next season and beyond.

The stuff I'm not sure will happen is the Greyjoy brothers. None have been introduced and Balon hasn't died yet either...we'll see.

Also, what is everyone's take on Stoneheart: Will she be revealed this season? I say it's the last scene of Episode 10. Anyone agree?

jom

jerseydevil
May 19th, 2014, 08:33 AM
The stuff I'm not sure will happen is the Greyjoy brothers. None have been introduced and Balon hasn't died yet either...we'll see.

Also, what is everyone's take on Stoneheart: Will she be revealed this season? I say it's the last scene of Episode 10. Anyone agree?

jom

Oh, they better do the Greyjoys. I need to see Ray Stevenson as the Pirate Greyjoy brother!!!!!! And yeah, Reckon Lady Stoneheart is gonna be the final scene a la the white walkers back in season2(1?)

Oh, and clearly the Hound's end is coming too, so with he, Oberyn and for all intents and purposes, Bronn coming off the board, they will NEED to replace that charisma/fan fave vacuum that will exist. Dario should be in one of the characters to step in...but they have done such a piss poor job with him, from the casting, to the quieting of all the crazy rockstar personality he had in the books. That's why we NEED Ray Stevenson!!!!!!!

mmmcammy
May 19th, 2014, 09:37 AM
Lady Stoneheart has to be that last shocking reveal at the end of the season. it just HAS to be. and I just hope it looks cool as ****.

as you guys have also said, I'm not quite ready to see Oberyn go. I really liked the character in the books and I absolutely love him in the show. I wasn't sure about the casting at first, but Pedro Pascal has been ****ing awesome. I'm not ready to let go of the Hound either :(

jom
May 19th, 2014, 10:22 AM
Wow...I really hadn't thought of it...Yeah, I forgot about Sandor too. Now, many people don't actually believe he's dead...neither do I but as far as his impact on the TV show he's a goner.

You are all correct there is a huge vacuum that needs filled. BTW, don't forget Charles Dance (Tywin) will be gone as well...it's gonna be tough to replace all those people.

jom

jerseydevil
May 19th, 2014, 10:33 AM
Wow...I really hadn't thought of it...Yeah, I forgot about Sandor too. Now, many people don't actually believe he's dead...neither do I but as far as his impact on the TV show he's a goner.

You are all correct there is a huge vacuum that needs filled. BTW, don't forget Charles Dance (Tywin) will be gone as well...it's gonna be tough to replace all those people.

jom

yup. Tywin too. Personally, I think the hound might still be alive too. Guess we will see.

mmmcammy
May 19th, 2014, 10:58 AM

jom

Yikes, I forgot about Tywin. (that's going to be awesome though)

I HOPE that Sandor is still alive. he never technically dies in front of Arya and the only real confirmation was from some dude somewhere that Brienne was talking to in the 4th book who I hardly remember. I like to think he's still alive.

jom
May 19th, 2014, 12:00 PM
I HOPE that Sandor is still alive. he never technically dies in front of Arya and the only real confirmation was from some dude somewhere that Brienne was talking to in the 4th book who I hardly remember. I like to think he's still alive.

Yeah, most people who are hard core believe that Sandor is alive and "kicking back" at some monastery. It was actually obvious to me when I read it and I'm not good at catching things like that the first time through. It's like the R+L=J thing...once you catch on it's pretty obvious.

jom

jerseydevil
May 19th, 2014, 12:34 PM
There is something about someone off-page wearing the Hound's helm in the books isn't there???? I'm not entirely sure Syrio Forel is dead at this point. No body ='s no death. And there is still the unfounded speculation on Jon's uncle from the Nights Watch.

mmmcammy
May 19th, 2014, 12:38 PM
There is something about someone off-page wearing the Hound's helm in the books isn't there????

yessir. I had to Google it to quite remember exactly what happened. turns out it was Rorge, who supposedly took the helm from the Hound's body and was then killed by Brienne while she was in the Saltpans with Pod. Rorge was killed by Arya in last night's episode.

I really want him to be alive.

jerseydevil
May 19th, 2014, 12:40 PM
yessir. I had to Google it to quite remember exactly what happened. turns out it was Rorge, who supposedly took the helm from the Hound's body and was then killed by Brienne while she was in the Saltpans with Pod. Rorge was killed by Arya in last night's episode.

I really want him to be alive.

I would be happy if they just left it open. The Hound, despite his nature, was always one of my faves.

Ecktore
May 19th, 2014, 03:15 PM
Never mind. My memory has gone to ****. I forgot there's a whole lot of adventuring that Brienne goes through.

mmmcammy
May 19th, 2014, 04:49 PM
Never mind. My memory has gone to ****. I forgot there's a whole lot of adventuring that Brienne goes through.

yeahhhhh, she has a bit to go through. I can't say I'm excited to watch her get her cheek bitten off. that part honestly made me gag when I read it. blech.

jom
May 19th, 2014, 06:34 PM
There is something about someone off-page wearing the Hound's helm in the books isn't there???? I'm not entirely sure Syrio Forel is dead at this point. No body ='s no death. And there is still the unfounded speculation on Jon's uncle from the Nights Watch.

Yes, it was Rorge but the TV took a different route.

As to Brienne: Some believe that the first "reveal" of Stoneheart will be when they catch Brienne...I don't think that'll be the case as I think they'll set that up before hand (this season) then next year will be a cliffhanger (or rather a "hanger lol) for Brienne and Pod. Of course, by then Jaime should be in the Riverlands trying to make peace (should see the Blackfish here again I guess). Then Brienne will show up to meet Jaime...which is where it is left off in Book 5.

All of this, of course, could get either condensed or added to depending on how it's handled by the show runners and whether GRRM gets more material out....

jom

jerseydevil
May 19th, 2014, 06:43 PM
oOOOOoOoOooOoOOoOOohhhhh it's all so delicious...

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c179/rtbstrd1331/First%20album%20of%202013/evelynquince3_zps18322c2d.png (http://s27.photobucket.com/user/rtbstrd1331/media/First%20album%20of%202013/evelynquince3_zps18322c2d.png.html)

Ecktore
May 19th, 2014, 08:24 PM
Yes, it was Rorge but the TV took a different route.

As to Brienne: Some believe that the first "reveal" of Stoneheart will be when they catch Brienne...I don't think that'll be the case as I think they'll set that up before hand (this season) then next year will be a cliffhanger (or rather a "hanger lol) for Brienne and Pod. Of course, by then Jaime should be in the Riverlands trying to make peace (should see the Blackfish here again I guess). Then Brienne will show up to meet Jaime...which is where it is left off in Book 5.

All of this, of course, could get either condensed or added to depending on how it's handled by the show runners and whether GRRM gets more material out....

jom

The whole Brienne being caught by Lady Stoneheart at the end of this season is what I originally posted in my previous post. But I then remembered all that adventuring she does with Podd at her side

jom
May 19th, 2014, 09:13 PM
The whole Brienne being caught by Lady Stoneheart at the end of this season is what I originally posted in my previous post. But I then remembered all that adventuring she does with Podd at her side

Yeah, the book 3 reveal was when some Frey's got caught and hung..it was the last chapter in fact. It wasn't until the end of book 4 when Brienne got caught. Then Brienne shows up again to Jamie in book 5 which is somewhat of a cliffhanger...

jom

sarf
May 21st, 2014, 10:00 AM
Here's a crazy theory from the fine folks over at reddit. It involves Daario and....

Is Daario really?...(Spoilers ADWD) : asoiaf (http://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/253zbx/is_daario_reallyspoilers_adwd/)

notbob
May 21st, 2014, 12:15 PM
Here's a crazy theory from the fine folks over at reddit. It involves Daario and....

Is Daario really?...(Spoilers ADWD) : asoiaf (http://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/253zbx/is_daario_reallyspoilers_adwd/)

headsplode.gif

KingInTheWest
May 21st, 2014, 11:33 PM
Wow, I was expecting some stupid thing about how he is really Jaqen or Syrio, but it actually makes sense. And it makes Daario even more of a douche by combining him with another hella-douche. I wonder if Daario is old enough though.

jom
May 23rd, 2014, 05:54 PM
As a follow up to the above discussion of losing some of the characters next season. It looks as though Bronn will be coming back...good news! The reason this is possible is that the producers are trying to cast for Lollys Stokeworth so it seems Bronn might be back. More casting news here:

http://winteriscoming.net/2014/05/23/characters-confirmed-game-thrones-season-5-new-details/

jom

jom
May 23rd, 2014, 06:03 PM
Wow, I was expecting some stupid thing about how he is really Jaqen or Syrio, but it actually makes sense. And it makes Daario even more of a douche by combining him with another hella-douche. I wonder if Daario is old enough though.

I don't think that timeline works due to the distance from Mereen to the far WEST side of Westeros (for the Kingsmoot at Pyke)....we'll see though.

jom

jerseydevil
June 3rd, 2014, 03:58 PM
Is this Instagram shot by Lena Headey a HUGE Game of Thrones spoiler? | Blastr (http://www.blastr.com/2014-6-3/instagram-shot-lena-headey-huge-game-thrones-spoiler)

Far as I am concerned that's a lock for LS.

mmmcammy
June 3rd, 2014, 04:19 PM
Is this Instagram shot by Lena Headey a HUGE Game of Thrones spoiler? | Blastr (http://www.blastr.com/2014-6-3/instagram-shot-lena-headey-huge-game-thrones-spoiler)

Far as I am concerned that's a lock for LS.

I'll be horrified if LS isn't the last scene of the season. so damn excited!

off topic, but what the hell is Sansa going to do next season? they're pretty much at the end of her storyline right now.

gokor84
June 4th, 2014, 03:44 PM
god damnit why did I lurk in this thread.

mmmcammy
June 4th, 2014, 07:28 PM

did you just spoil yourself? when the title of the thread says spoilers?

you're obviously a masochist.

jerseydevil
June 4th, 2014, 09:23 PM
You are one of them guys that read Cliff notes aren't ya????

jom
June 4th, 2014, 09:29 PM
I'll be horrified if LS isn't the last scene of the season. so damn excited!

off topic, but what the hell is Sansa going to do next season? they're pretty much at the end of her storyline right now.

I hadn't thought about the Sansa thing...but ya there isn't much left for her. However, you'll notice that not much happened with Arya this year at all so maybe they'll just drag it out a bit. There are some political things LF does that Sansa might be involved with like traveling with Robin around the Vale or some such. Who knows?

I still think the last scene in Ep 10 will be LS and not the chamber pot scene. It could go either way.....we'll see.

:fpalm:

jom

jerseydevil
June 4th, 2014, 11:00 PM
You know...holding off on the main thread, but...are you surprised the Mountain had to be recast 3 times. Character has has a total of what???? 12 minutes screen time through 4 seasons. And he is gonna die...more than likely off screen. He is a boogeyman. Nothing more.

notbob
June 6th, 2014, 09:03 AM
I wonder if they are going to be able to do the battle without revealing its Stannis' army that comes in to save the day. At the time i read it i remember thinking it was him but never really sure until they revealed it later on.

jerseydevil
June 6th, 2014, 09:05 AM
I wonder if they are going to be able to do the battle without revealing its Stannis' army that comes in to save the day. At the time i read it i remember thinking it was him but never really sure until they revealed it later on.

No, I think they tipped that with the scene between Salador and Davos. They are gonna Lannister @ the Blackwater up the place.

notbob
June 6th, 2014, 09:07 AM
No, I think they tipped that with the scene between Salador and Davos. They are gonna Lannister @ the Blackwater up the place.

Good point i forgot about that

jerseydevil
June 6th, 2014, 09:12 AM
Good point i forgot about that

How could you forget...'Bring me my brown pants!!!!'

notbob
June 6th, 2014, 09:13 AM
How could you forget...'Bring me my brown pants!!!!'

It really was a great scene

gokor84
June 6th, 2014, 10:30 AM
did you just spoil yourself? when the title of the thread says spoilers?

you're obviously a masochist.

what can I say my curiosity gets the best of me sometimes, cant help it :( But damn I didnt see that coming.

KingInTheWest
June 8th, 2014, 09:24 PM
You know...holding off on the main thread, but...are you surprised the Mountain had to be recast 3 times. Character has has a total of what???? 12 minutes screen time through 4 seasons. And he is gonna die...more than likely off screen. He is a boogeyman. Nothing more.

Pretty sure Qyburn is making a Frankenstein monster out of him in the books. I think the reason they left out Oberyn poisoning his spears on the show was so that it would make more sense when he does come back.

jom
June 9th, 2014, 09:31 AM
Pretty sure Qyburn is making a Frankenstein monster out of him in the books. I think the reason they left out Oberyn poisoning his spears on the show was so that it would make more sense when he does come back.

We don't know if they left it out actually. Yet to be seen.

I'm now wondering what will be covered in the show next week after seeing Ep. 9. Stannis comes in, Stoneheart, Tywin and Shae etc. Not sure if they can fit it all in.

Oh...and the Frankenstein monster. Call it the "Qyborg". heh

jom

jerseydevil
June 9th, 2014, 10:23 AM
This 'Qyborg' theory...you guys are just joking right? That cannot happen. As it is, Lady Stoneheart is going to test people's ability to accept the unexplainable. That would just be silly, like when they made Frank Castle into FrankenPunisher in the comics.

darby
June 9th, 2014, 02:42 PM
I saw a crossbow and a closed door in the previews for next week! They're gonna kill Tywin on Father's Day!

KingInTheWest
June 9th, 2014, 09:07 PM
This 'Qyborg' theory...you guys are just joking right? That cannot happen. As it is, Lady Stoneheart is going to test people's ability to accept the unexplainable. That would just be silly, like when they made Frank Castle into FrankenPunisher in the comics.

That is why they made it so he was just stabbed a lot with a regular spear on the show. When he comes back, he can have some nasty scars.

Would it have been so hard for Oberyn to keep his distance and repeatedly stab Gregor in the arms and legs?

jom
June 11th, 2014, 08:19 AM

I'm not certain what you mean by "cannot happen". It already has....

jom

jerseydevil
June 11th, 2014, 10:03 AM
I saw a crossbow and a closed door in the previews for next week! They're gonna kill Tywin on Father's Day!

They also showed Varys the Spider looking particularly conspiratorial.

Ecktore
June 12th, 2014, 08:27 PM
I REALLY REALLY need to read these books again.

jom
June 15th, 2014, 11:54 AM
I can't wait for the last scene tonight...I'm REAL curious if I'm right about it. We'll see....

jom

jom
June 15th, 2014, 07:43 PM
Well, I was wrong....nothing new I suppose.

Great episode though...best season finale of the four so far...

jom

mmmcammy
June 15th, 2014, 08:32 PM
HOW WAS THERE NO LADY STONEHEART?!?!?!?! WHAT THE HELL.

fantastic episode though! I don't really remember any of that happening in Bran's storyline. the Brienne/Hound showdown was pretty fantastic as well, and a nice change from the books.

darby
June 15th, 2014, 08:57 PM

fantastic episode though! I don't really remember any of that happening in Bran's storyline. the Brienne/Hound showdown was pretty fantastic as well, and a nice change from the books.

Yeah, I was bummed about Lady Stoneheart. Oh, well. Next season.

And they jumped ahead a bit in Bran's storyline. And still no Coldhands! And did Jojen die in the books? I didn't think so.

And so the stalling of a once-great character begins in Mereen. She's gonna be there for, what, the next three seasons at least?

Hound v Brienne - if you're gonna make changes, not a bad one to make! And it still left the Hound exactly where he was supposed to be left. And Arya is the most bad-assed bad-ass that ever badded an ass.

The changes to the Stannis arrival left a bit of a let down, but at least it came early enough for the rest of the episode to pick up the pace.

Geez, it's a long time til next April.

mmmcammy
June 15th, 2014, 09:11 PM
Yeah, I was bummed about Lady Stoneheart. Oh, well. Next season.

And they jumped ahead a bit in Bran's storyline. And still no Coldhands! And did Jojen die in the books? I didn't think so.

And so the stalling of a once-great character begins in Mereen. She's gonna be there for, what, the next three seasons at least?

Hound v Brienne - if you're gonna make changes, not a bad one to make! And it still left the Hound exactly where he was supposed to be left. And Arya is the most bad-assed bad-ass that ever badded an ass.

The changes to the Stannis arrival left a bit of a let down, but at least it came early enough for the rest of the episode to pick up the pace.

Geez, it's a long time til next April.

I think Jojen just kind of disappeared in the books, from what I remember. that was pretty sad to watch. I've been expecting Coldhands to show up at any moment....still nothing!

Stannis' arrival wasn't nearly as badass as it should have been. do the showrunners hate Stephen Dillane? it seems like they hate Stannis. and Dany will continue to do nothing for the rest of eternity yay!

Tyrion killing Tywin was pretty great as well, although his manpain after murdering Shae was kind of cringeworthy.

jerseydevil
June 15th, 2014, 09:16 PM
Hound is not dead. And that f'n MontainMonster thing...that is to ****ing weird.

Cheezer517
June 15th, 2014, 11:26 PM
Even though the finale lacked Lady Stoneheart, I thought it was great.

Absolutely loved the fight between The Hound and Brienne. Never thought I'd want it until it actually transpired on screen.

Coldhands, though... :(

TwoFootAfro
June 16th, 2014, 12:19 AM
How many eyes does Lord Bloodraven have? A thousand eyes, and Two - apparently. Anyone else feel this reveal was a bit anti-climatic? I was hyped to see a gnarly albino skeletor root-ridden sorcerer, instead it's just an old man in a tree. Maester Aemon and Pycell look older than he did. Oh well, still the strongest finale yet.

jom
June 16th, 2014, 07:49 AM

Yep...that was what I was wrong about. No LS...I'm surprised to given Lena Headey's photo last week. Oh well.

I'm now reading the 5th book for the second time and I'm not sure about Jojen...I guess he just disappeared at least so far. So I guess that death is a bit better. Also, if Coldhands hasn't showed up by now he isn't going to...he should have been there last season.

Hound vs. Brienne was pretty good. They kind of took the Brienne/Stoneheart idea and used it with Clegane in a way...why she had a Lannister sword etc etc. An interesting twist.

jom

jerseydevil
June 16th, 2014, 08:05 AM
i AM ALREADY CALLING IT. Due to the downhill runaway train momentum of this season, and presumably(from the books) the uphill, momentum building potential of next season, there are going to be so many people complaining how boring next season was a year from now. Benioff/Weiss killed it this season but have made the task moving forward SO much harder. It really will be an interesting season because of the loss of so many great characters(Tywin/The Hound/Oberyn) and just how VAST the next series of events were in the books. There is a LOT of room for editing and interpretation...hell, even forecasting. Next season is the make or break season. And it's a frikkin year away. Damn you time.

mmmcammy
June 16th, 2014, 11:09 AM
I was kinda bummed they didn't have the reveal about Tyrion's wife Tysha actually not being a prostitute and Jaime's involvement in all of that. That really made Tyrion's motives for killing Tywin a little more real for me. At that point, he was so hurt by being betrayed that he just wanted to hurt everyone else.

Ah well. Still an entertaining finale despite everything that was left out.

Mourning Coldhands btw

jerseydevil
June 17th, 2014, 09:08 AM
Game of Thrones director explains why we didn't see [redacted] in the Season 4 finale | Blastr (http://www.blastr.com/2014-6-16/game-thrones-director-explains-why-we-didnt-see-redacted-season-4-finale)

jerseydevil
June 17th, 2014, 12:10 PM
Grading 12 big changes from book to show in Game of Thrones Season 4 | Blastr (http://www.blastr.com/2014-6-16/grading-12-big-changes-book-show-game-thrones-season-4)

Really good breakdown.

Anjin-san
June 17th, 2014, 01:57 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing Dorn but with the way the last two books are, you have to wonder how he is going to end the series. You keep waiting for the Dragons vs Lannisters war to end all wars for the Iron Throne but i'm not sure it's going to happen.

I also don't understand the journey of Arya and where that will lead to in the bigger picture.

I guess I felt like after a Storm of Swords, everything went in a different direction entirely.

jerseydevil
June 17th, 2014, 02:38 PM
Why We're Worried About Game of Thrones Season 5 | Vanity Fair (http://www.vanityfair.com/vf-hollywood/game-of-thrones-season-5?utm_source=zergnet.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=zergnet_199676&mbid=synd_zergnet)

As an ardent fan of the books, I am also concerned that, as happened once or twice this season, Weiss and Benioff’s privileged knowledge of the series’s ultimate trajectory will result in accidental spoilers about the next two books. But if too much of that starts happening, it might simply be a sign that it’s time to stop watching the show and wait, perhaps in vain, for Martin to finish his books. The series needs to find its own way, as its own entity. Now that they’ve made their way through the best and most exciting book so far, it’s really time the show exerts its independence. It could be bumpy for a while—ever hear of a Kingsmoot? Because you’re about to hear a lot about a Kingsmoot—but this show has proven again and again, no more so than this past season, that it can confidently navigate its way through Martin’s wild world, judiciously honoring or ignoring the original text as need be. In some ways, this season was a little test to see how the show could handle some extratextual outings. I’d say they passed. But the next couple of seasons will be the real trial. And, unlike Tyrion, the show will have to be its own champion.

Ecktore
June 17th, 2014, 04:41 PM
Grading 12 big changes from book to show in Game of Thrones Season 4 | Blastr (http://www.blastr.com/2014-6-16/grading-12-big-changes-book-show-game-thrones-season-4)

Really good breakdown.

Not sure if you guys read each of the descriptions, but I hit one of the links, and found a pretty big spoiler regarding the White Walkers. In particular, the one that we saw earlier this season holding Craster's baby. Apparently HBO gave the White Walker a name.

I'd provide the link, but I don't know how to edit it so it doesn't spoil it. But if you go to the link JD provided, you'll see the link in the breakdown of the white walker episode.

Again, it's something that will most likely come out in Winds of Winter. So be warned.

jerseydevil
June 17th, 2014, 08:46 PM
Ecktore with the assist!!!!! Yeah, sorry guys I blew it. :puff:

Ecktore
June 17th, 2014, 09:25 PM
Ecktore with the assist!!!!! Yeah, sorry guys I blew it. :puff:

Didn't realize you had read about that. I read it and thought, oh ****! Didn't see it being talked about in this thread so I thought I'd mention it. It's pretty think it's pretty fascinating.

jerseydevil
June 19th, 2014, 09:06 AM
10 Moments From Game Of Thrones Season 4 That Infuriated Book Readers (http://www.hitfix.com/comedy/10-moments-from-game-of-thrones-season-4-that-infuriated-book-readers)

jerseydevil
June 26th, 2014, 09:06 AM
Game of Thrones Season 5 May Omit Lady Stoneheart Character (http://collider.com/game-of-thrones-season-5-lady-stoneheart/)

OOOOOh this ain't gonna make some folks happy.

mmmcammy
June 26th, 2014, 09:47 AM
Game of Thrones Season 5 May Omit Lady Stoneheart Character (http://collider.com/game-of-thrones-season-5-lady-stoneheart/)

OOOOOh this ain't gonna make some folks happy.

wtf? BUT LADY STONEHEART REVENGE WAS AWESOME.

I almost hope they don't do it now. with all of these articles about LS' omission from the finale, everyone already knows who she is. there's no shock in it anymore, so why bother?

I wonder how they'll change Brienne and Pod's storyline if this is true.

notbob
June 26th, 2014, 10:07 AM
they eliminate alot of the "mystical" type characters.

Coldhands
Lady Stoneheart
Stannis' daughter's companion (forget his name)

jerseydevil
June 27th, 2014, 08:31 AM
GRRM teases battles, weddings, and homecomings in next Thrones book | Blastr (http://www.blastr.com/2014-6-26/grrm-teases-battles-weddings-and-homecomings-next-thrones-book)

mmmcammy
June 27th, 2014, 10:34 AM
GRRM teases battles, weddings, and homecomings in next Thrones book | Blastr (http://www.blastr.com/2014-6-26/grrm-teases-battles-weddings-and-homecomings-next-thrones-book)

HOW ABOUT STOP TEASING AND WRITE MORE. sometimes I feel like he wants to die before he finishes the books....just to reeeeeeally troll everyone.

KingInTheWest
June 27th, 2014, 08:39 PM
The sooner he dies, the sooner Brandon Sanderson can start writing.

notbob
July 9th, 2014, 11:23 AM
George R.R. Martin Says 'F-You' To People Who Don't Think He'll Finish The 'Game Of Thrones' Books

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/george-r-r-martin-says-164300630.html

jerseydevil
July 9th, 2014, 11:40 AM
George R.R. Martin Says 'F-You' To People Who Don't Think He'll Finish The 'Game Of Thrones' Books

The Wall Street Journal estimated, at his current pace, Martin's next works may not come out until 2017 and 2023 .

I don't know about him, but I may not be alive to see the damned end.

KingInTheWest
July 9th, 2014, 11:20 PM

He's been saying 'F-You' to his readers for a decade every day he goes to some convention to get his balls washed by obsessive fans or puts in the hard work spellchecking lame stories his friends write about X-Men knockoffs instead of actually writing the novels that made him famous and millions are waiting on.

jerseydevil
July 17th, 2014, 05:50 AM
http://www.buzzfeed.com/jennaguillaume/this-game-of-thrones-fan-theory-will-blow-your-mind?bffb

Think this is common theory, but here it is all tidied up and organized.

mitchrock
July 17th, 2014, 06:08 AM
So you can ask Jon Snow, Who's your daddy along with Who's your mommy.

notbob
July 29th, 2014, 09:46 AM
A little more info on the lack of Arianne casting

'Game Of Thrones' Season 5 Is About To Upset Fans In A Major Way (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/29/game-of-thrones-arianne-martell_n_5629728.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592)

Ecktore
July 29th, 2014, 10:13 AM
I was under the impression that they simply haven't found the right actress. Oh well, I guess we'll know for sure once we start getting closer to Season 5.

Ecktore
July 29th, 2014, 11:27 AM
Where's my Ray Stevenson as the dread pirate Greyjoy?

Dude, they've already recasted Daario once. Do they really need to do it again?

notbob
July 29th, 2014, 12:20 PM
Dude, they've already recasted Daario once. Do they really need to do it again?

I see what you did there

jom
July 30th, 2014, 11:32 AM
'Game Of Thrones' Season 5 Is About To Upset Fans In A Major Way (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/29/game-of-thrones-arianne-martell_n_5629728.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592)

Fans are gonna have to get over the fact the TV show and the books are not the same thing. You are not losing any of the story as long as the books exist....

Like Martin says "How many children did Scarlett O'Hara have?"

jom

jerseydevil
July 30th, 2014, 12:08 PM
Why George R.R. Martin won't be writing a Game of Thrones episode next season | Blastr (http://www.blastr.com/2014-7-26/why-george-rr-martin-wont-be-writing-game-thrones-episode-next-season)

good...get to work

notbob
August 7th, 2014, 12:05 PM
Preparations for the Walk have begun in Dubrovnik, Split stands ready | Watchers on the Wall (http://watchersonthewall.com/preparations-walk-begun-dubrovnik/)

We heard that HBO asked the Dubrovnik city council to allow filming of a scene in which a naked actress walks from the Dubrovnik cathedral to the Sponza Palace entrance (readers of course know who that is). The scene will require about 500 extras. As the map (courtesy of Sue) shows, the two locations are set at opposite ends of the old city?s main thoroughfare, Stradun.

jerseydevil
September 16th, 2014, 09:27 AM
There’s Another “Game Of Thrones” Theory And It Changes Everything

http://www.buzzfeed.com/lukebailey/its-raining-in-castamere#4du5rrk

Ecktore
September 17th, 2014, 10:43 AM
There’s Another “Game Of Thrones” Theory And It Changes Everything

http://www.buzzfeed.com/lukebailey/its-raining-in-castamere#4du5rrk
Not really a new theory. I actually made a comment about his love of Dragons in one of my first posts in this thread.

BTW,is anyone gonna pick up the new book? I believe it comes out next month.