PDA

View Full Version : 2012-2013 Soccer Thread

ucsdguy1
August 15th, 2012, 01:47 PM
Why not start as the premier league is upon us.....and we all know Tottenham will finish top 4 this year....

and to get goin:

United agree deal for van Persie - Official Manchester United Website (http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2012/Aug/manchester-united-agree-deal-for-robin-van-persie.aspx)

LetTigerIn
August 15th, 2012, 05:29 PM
Why not start as the premier league is upon us.....and we all know Tottenham will finish top 4 this year....

and to get goin:

United agree deal for van Persie - Official Manchester United Website (http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2012/Aug/manchester-united-agree-deal-for-robin-van-persie.aspx)

That's crazy. Sucks for Arsenal.

Were you at the Spurs friendly vs. Galaxy?

Cross Traffic
August 15th, 2012, 08:10 PM
USA finally wins a game on Mexican soil!!!!!! It only took 78 years.

kba4life2
August 15th, 2012, 10:51 PM
USA finally wins a game on Mexican soil!!!!!! It only took 78 years.

Great result, still puzzling stuff from Klinnsman though. Putting Williams on the outside guarantees that flank will be neutered offensively...still too many defensive mids out there at the same time. Shea was great, I almost forgot what it was like to see a US player run at a defender before he set that goal up, awesome stuff

ucsdguy1
August 16th, 2012, 09:38 AM
Were you at the Spurs friendly vs. Galaxy?
Yes - had a great time. My wife was ecstatic being able to cheer when both teams scored.

ucsdguy1
August 16th, 2012, 10:15 AM
oh and

@IanDarkeESPN: Showered with beer by angry Mexican fans as USA win at Azteca for first time I think it was beer anyway.

KHenry14
August 19th, 2012, 08:55 PM
The start of the EPL is always fun, as somebody always upsets one of the big boys. This season it's West Brom beating Liverpool. And City got a big scare from newly promoted Southampton today. Gotta love it!

ucsdguy1
August 20th, 2012, 03:53 PM
freakin Ben Arfa

ketel&tonic
August 30th, 2012, 03:59 PM
Group D is naaaaaasty.

LetTigerIn
August 30th, 2012, 04:22 PM
Group D is naaaaaasty.

Just a little.

ucsdguy1
September 4th, 2012, 09:45 AM
uh Clint - we need you to get in there and start scoring, and fast.

KHenry14
September 11th, 2012, 02:36 PM
Biggest game since Algeria in the 2010 WC tonight for the USMNT. After last week's embarrassment, Klinsi better have the boys fired up because the can't afford to lose or tie this one. :billy:

KHenry14
September 12th, 2012, 01:05 PM
In case anyone is interested, here's an article analysing the USMNT since 1990. Highly recommended: http://whatahowler.tumblr.com/post/31313126129/what-is-american-soccer

ucsdguy1
September 13th, 2012, 12:08 PM
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1356589/trollface.gif

ketel&tonic
September 17th, 2012, 02:00 AM
Thierry Henry Scores OLIMPICO Corner Kick Goal vs. Columbus Crew - 9/15/12 HD - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiNW5Ctu66c)

1 minute mark. I mean come ON. He's STILL so damn good.

LetTigerIn
September 17th, 2012, 07:35 PM
Thierry Henry Scores OLIMPICO Corner Kick Goal vs. Columbus Crew - 9/15/12 HD - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiNW5Ctu66c)

1 minute mark. I mean come ON. He's STILL so damn good.

One of the greatest things I've seen at a Galaxy match was a couple of years ago against the Red Bulls. At one point, Henry got the ball and came tearing down the near sideline toward goal. He ran two-thirds the length of the field, going full bore, and carrying the ball on alternate feet while outrunning the defender. The ball never touched the grass. That was wild.

ucsdguy1
September 18th, 2012, 07:12 PM
the last 20 minutes of that City/Madrid game today was insane..

Dawdler
September 29th, 2012, 12:45 PM
COYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dempsey with the winner.

ucsdguy1
October 3rd, 2012, 04:48 PM
COYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dempsey with the winner.
I'll admit i knocked over a 3/4 full guinness jumping in the air on that one..

ucsdguy1
October 17th, 2012, 10:10 AM
well I about had a heart attack when Guatemala scored first last night.

Good to see them come back and score some goals to advance. However, I see the next round being just as gut wrenching..

ucsdguy1
January 7th, 2013, 01:59 PM
WTF Van Nistelrooy??

Ruud Van Nistelrooy sparks racism row after 'blacking up' for Three Kings Day as he visits children in hospital | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2258329/Ruud-Van-Nistelrooy-sparks-racism-row-blacking-Three-Kings-Day-visits-children-hospital.html)

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/01/07/article-2258329-16C84983000005DC-282_634x674.jpg

ucsdguy1
February 1st, 2013, 04:32 PM
what, no love for David Beckham's 5-month "give my whole salary to charity" stint with PSG?

Dawdler
February 3rd, 2013, 09:28 PM
what, no love for David Beckham's 5-month "give my whole salary to charity" stint with PSG?

his gesture didn't move me in any way but we did get this awesome little tidbit from Keano

Robbie Keane on his convo with Beckham yesterday: "He said he was in a charitable mood so I asked him for his Rolls Royce. He said no."

ucsdguy1
February 6th, 2013, 05:40 PM
well that whole experience sure did suck today

LetTigerIn
February 6th, 2013, 06:17 PM
well that whole experience sure did suck today

I spaced out and missed this. I would say it was for the best, but I'm as frustrated seeing the result as I would have been watching, I think.

VEGASKING
February 7th, 2013, 04:26 AM
Yeah, I missed out due to the early start as well. Figured 6 or 7pm start. These CONCACAF teams do whatever it takes to make it as difficult as possible on their opponents.

Mexico drew at home and the third game also ended in a draw. Good results for us. I wasn't expecting 3 points anyways so 0 instead of 1 isn't a big deal. Klinnsman sucks but they'll squeak out enough points to qualify.

ucsdguy1
February 7th, 2013, 06:06 PM
frustrating game. Defense with some new faces was fairly decent, but we were vulnerable to counter attack and never had any sense of a possession game like honduras did. Jozy is in good form with his club team, but always seems to be one step behind with the national team.
They got beat first on a magnificent bicycle kick. 2nd goal, I'll admit, Omar fell a liiiitle asleep.

the midfielder for midfielder subs were a little weird. still would've like to see torres or gomez get some action but I'm succinctly biased in favor of them :)

the draws from other countries are okay, but it doesn't get any easier as the next two games are home to costa rica and away at azteca in mexico. Jamaica looked tough. This group is not going to be easy by any means.

ucsdguy1
March 7th, 2013, 03:01 PM
Nice beat down of Inter on my extended lunch break today.

black n tans + 1.

Dawdler
March 7th, 2013, 09:49 PM

black n tans + 1.

its too bad Bale got a yellow for diving, is he out on the return leg?

ucsdguy1
March 7th, 2013, 10:09 PM

black n tans + 1.

its too bad Bale got a yellow for diving, is he out on the return leg?
Yeah he misses the return leg. That sucks, but hopefully they'll still get through, and he'd start fresh of card accumulation going forward..

ucsdguy1
April 21st, 2013, 04:58 PM
8 hours later and still smiling after the Tottenham match!

(Thanks to Luis Suarez and his teeth for just a liiitle bit of help to spurs)

Shaddy
April 21st, 2013, 06:02 PM

You like spurs?

Im not surprised that suarez did that, he has talent sometimes but is just awful attitude and cheater.

Just happy that Spurs beat city today, a win tomorrow and united are CHAMP20NS!

ucsdguy1
April 21st, 2013, 08:26 PM

You like spurs?

Im not surprised that suarez did that, he has talent sometimes but is just awful attitude and cheater.

Just happy that Spurs beat city today, a win tomorrow and united are CHAMP20NS!
Oh yes.

That rescheduled Chelsea/Tottenham game upcoming could be monstrous

Shaddy
April 21st, 2013, 10:26 PM
Oh yes.

That rescheduled Chelsea/Tottenham game upcoming could be monstrous
Yeah that will be a good battle for 4th place, maybe even 3rd if arsenal drop some points which they might.

ucsdguy1
April 22nd, 2013, 09:23 AM
Yeah that will be a good battle for 4th place, maybe even 3rd if arsenal drop some points which they might.
we can only hope

Shaddy
April 22nd, 2013, 04:24 PM
Manchester United are 2012/2013 Barclays Premier League Champions!!

Dawdler
April 22nd, 2013, 09:36 PM
we can only hope

I'm hoping with you COYS!!!

ucsdguy1
May 8th, 2013, 02:43 PM
pretty crazy game just now. but now they really have to hope to win their final games and Arsenal slips up..

LetTigerIn
May 8th, 2013, 03:36 PM
Good luck to your Spurs. I hope they get into the Champions League.

That said, I hope Chelsea does, too. Their fate, of course, is in their own hands.

And happy retirement to Sir Alex Ferguson, while I'm at it.

ucsdguy1
May 9th, 2013, 12:02 PM
Moyes official at United.

LetTigerIn
June 7th, 2013, 04:32 PM
Maher - Ireland's Robbie Keane confirms legendary status - ESPN FC (http://espnfc.com/columns/story/_/id/1471339/maher-ireland-robbie-keane-confirms-legendary-status?cc=5901)

The debate over whether Robbie Keane should start for the Republic of Ireland team has been understandably postponed, because no one was prepared to steal any of his thunder on a night when he became his country's most-capped player.

It is well over a decade since the crafty Dubliner cemented his place amongst the all-time Irish greats - that goal against Germany in the 2002 World Cup did it - but by surpassing Shay Given and earning his 126th cap (as well as moving onto 59 goals), Keane truly confirmed his legendary status at international level at the Aviva Stadium.

And if that wasn't enough for the 32-year-old to celebrate, he added a hat-trick of goals to help Ireland secure a comfortable 3-0 victory over Faroe Islands and boost their chances of staying in the qualifying mix for the 2014 World Cup. Shame on those who said that Keane was past his best and couldn't produce for his country any more.