PDA

View Full Version : Official Dodgers 2012-13 Off-Season Thread

Frolov24
October 3rd, 2012, 02:42 PM
Well, last night's game was perfectly symbolic of the Dodgers season. They dug themselves a hole, made a valiant effort to comeback, but along the way squandered too many opportunities and failed to execute when needed.

I don't consider this season a disappointment, it was a pretty chaotic year and I think the Dodgers surpassed expectations. I never fully bought that ownership made the big deals in order to try to win it all this year, I really believe they were trying to get a head-start on next year. Victorino, Blanton, and League were definitely band-aid "win now" moves, but they didn't give up much for them and in the end the returns were minimal (I think League could return in 2013, especially with concerns for Kenley). The big moves for Hanley, Gonzo, Beckett and Crawford will pay more dividends in the coming seasons as the team finally gets the chance to build something from the very beginning rather than on the fly.

Looking at the roster, there aren't many openings for next year. Injuries will play a role, especially regarding Billingsley, Lilly, and Crawford, but here's what I see that they currently have for 2013:

SP: Kershaw, Beckett, Capuano, Harang, Lilly, Billingsley, Fife, Ely
RP: Jansen, Belisario, Guerra, Elbert, Paco, Tolleson, Guerrier, Wall, Hawksworth
C: Fed, AJ Ellis
1B: Gonzalez
2B: Mark Ellis
SS: Gordon
3B: Hanley
IF: Hairston, Uribe, Punto, Cruz, Herrera, Sellers
LF: Crawford
CF: Kemp
RF: Ethier
OF: Van Slyke, Castellanos, Puig, Gwynn Jr.

Free Agents: Rivera (team option), Victorino, Abreu, Kennedy, Treanor (team option) , Blanton, League, Choate, Wright, Coffey (team option)

Starting pitching is a tough one, because Lily and Bills are both question marks. My guess is they lose Bills for the year, and management pursues at least one starter (Greinke or Dempster) as only Kershaw, Bills, and Beckett are signed beyond 2013. My gut says Dempster is in Dodger Blue next year and Greinke is with the Rangers or Angels.

The bullpen looks decent, I think League would be good insurance at closer and a solid setup man if Kenley is healthy. The traditional vet looking to hang on (McD, Wright, etc.) will be brought in, whether Wright returns or mid 30s reliever gets his shot. If Paco is ready, he solves the lefty out of the pen problem though a vet will likely be brought in to compete (Orosco still around??).

The position players are pretty set, I think the Dodgers should stick with AJ and Fedz behind the plate. The only question on the infield is where Hanley plays. My guess is they start fresh for 2013 with Hanley at 3B and let Cruz and Gordon battle for SS. If Gordon wins the job, Cruz still sticks as the platoon mate and primary backup at 2B and 3B. If Cruz wins, Gordon is in AAA. Hairston is a lock to remain as backup IF/LF, and Punto probably stays too. Don't see any way they retain Uribe even with his massive salary, he probably gets released and catches back on with SF to burn the Dodgers at some point next year. Herrera is insurance in AAA, Sellers insurance for Herrera or more likely moves on to a new organization.

The OF definitely needs a right handed bat, hopefully it's someone better than Rivera. Between Crawford's injury concerns and Ethier's struggles against lefties, there will be a lot of ABs for the 4th outfielder. Hairston was solid, but would rather he stay as super utility. A guy like Cody Ross would be perfect, and the Dodgers are now the type of team not afraid to overpay a guy like him. Don't think Puig will be ready in time for 2013, but if he could also solve that problem. Gwynn Jr. is still under contract, though I can't see him back with the big club again so he's likely be traded or cut this offseason.

I really don't foresee any blockbuster moves this offseason, I think management saw the free agent landscape and decided to make their play in-season when there was less competition for the big money players and they could maximize their payroll capabilities while also taking advantage of two teams who wanted to "shake things up" by dealing for Gonzo, Hanley, Beckett, and Crawford. Greinke is the big name out there but don't see him coming to the Dodgers.

Claw21
October 15th, 2012, 08:34 AM
Ethier and his inability to hit lefties concerns me. The dude needs to be sent to winter ball where he faces nothing but lefties.

Frolov24
October 15th, 2012, 09:10 AM
Ethier and his inability to hit lefties concerns me. The dude needs to be sent to winter ball where he faces nothing but lefties.

Well, he has the best guy in the league to help teach him. Adrian Gonzalez is the bizarro world Ethier, he actually hits for better average and higher OPS versus lefties. There are a few players that can hold their own and have fairly decent splits vs. lefties (LaRoche, Votto) but I don't think I've ever seen a lefty who does markedly better against left-handed pitching like A-Gone. His splits (average & OPS) against righties/lefties:

2012: .286/.322 & .787/.846
3 year 09-11: .304/.326 & .855/.902

Ethier in the same timeframe:

2012: .325/.222 & ..944/.606
3 year 09-11: .321/.225 & .927/.600

So it's time for Ethier to get with A-Gone and figure this thing out, clearly Adrian has an approach (along with ability) that works against lefties!! And it's something he figured out recently, he hit .213 with .675 OPS against lefties in 08, .234/.770 in 09, then he flipped the switch and has gone .337/.937, .321/.787, and .322/.846 in the past three years.

Frolov24
October 17th, 2012, 01:55 PM
I think you can expect to hear A-Rod to the Dodgers rumors circulate as soon as the Yanks are bounced from the playoffs. The Dodgers have become the go-to for any potential salary dump rumor, and he is obviously the biggest one out there. Can't imagine there is any way the Dodgers even entertain the thought, if it's uncertain if A-Rod is even an upgrade over Luis Cruz then what is there to talk about. But with the Yanks likely to be desperate to move him, the Marlins and Dodgers will be mentioned.

He's owed $114MM over the next 5 years, with another $12MM in incentives likely. So of the $126MM he's owed, what would the Yanks have to eat in order to deal him to LA or anywhere else? $75MM? $100MM? $150MM? What would A-Rod get if he was a free agent this offseason? I think 2 years/$15MM maybe? Maybe 3 years and $25MM? A 37 year old 3B that averaged .274 with 17HR and 60 RBI the past 2 years, maybe he'd be a one year deal or even a minor league deal with spring training invite? I thought the Dodgers took on some heavy weight contracts this year, but imagine owing this guy that kind of money! The Angels should take note, they'll be in the same spot with Pujols down the road.

KingThomas
November 11th, 2012, 10:47 PM
Could Ryu Hyun-jin possibly be ready as a legit #3/4 starter. Get a deal done! Lefty with a sick fastball. Only seen highlights, but it looks like he attacks the strike zone early in the count and starts moving down and away with a nice change-up.

Ned's new found wallet, throwing some more coin around the international circuit.

Yasiel Puig looks like he could be scary, just might not be ready for the show quite yet.

keyTOarson
December 8th, 2012, 06:15 PM
Let's liven this thread up, boys!

http://www.truebluela.com/2012/12/8/3699572/dodgers-sign-zack-greinke

sarf
December 8th, 2012, 06:25 PM
It's going to be nice to finally have a real #2 behing Kersh.

keyTOarson
December 8th, 2012, 07:33 PM
It's going to be nice to finally have a real #2 behing Kersh.

Seriously. I've already seen people comparing this to the Kevin Brown deal in a negative sense.

Not even in the same stratosphere. Brown was 34 when he signed. Greinke is 29. Brown also pitched pretty damn well for most of his time with the Dodgers. If Greinke can have some seasons like Brown did, I'll be pretty damn happy.

FBJ
December 8th, 2012, 08:27 PM
HUGE money.

But good lord for how long has Ned been trying to land a true #2?

Now...a bat at third base?

mugs
December 8th, 2012, 09:55 PM
Really looking forward to the season starting.

Vargsmal
December 9th, 2012, 01:01 AM
AND they still want Anibal.

keyTOarson
December 9th, 2012, 09:09 AM
Key to Greinke's value: K, BB, HR rate - Stats & Info Blog - ESPN (http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/57673/key-to-greinkes-value-k-bb-hr-rate)

SuperCalo2000
December 9th, 2012, 12:24 PM
Ive said it before and Ill say it again. If the Dodgers don't invest in infrastructure i.e. scouting, player development, international, they will constantly have to plug holes with big wads of cash. All they'll be left with is an aging roster.

It also won't be 'Dodger Baseball'. The team I grew up living always brought players up. I sincerely hope this is just to buy time until player development catches up.

keyTOarson
December 9th, 2012, 12:25 PM
Ive said it before and Ill say it again. If the Dodgers don't invest in infrastructure i.e. scouting, player development, international, they will constantly have to plug holes with big wads of cash. All they'll be left with is an aging roster.

It also won't be 'Dodger Baseball'. The team I grew up living always brought players up. I sincerely hope this is just to buy time until player development catches up.

HFBoards - View Single Post - Greinke to Dodgers (6 yr, 147 M) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showpost.php?p=56246621&postcount=34)

Dawdler
December 9th, 2012, 03:26 PM
Ryu signed 6 years 36 Million (http://tracking.si.com/2012/12/09/hyun-jin-ryu-signed-dodgers/?sct=hp_t2_a12&eref=sihp)

keyTOarson
December 9th, 2012, 04:06 PM
The rotation is going to be pretty stacked if Billingsley can stay healthy. Apparently the Dodgers STILL want to add, too.

FlyBono24
December 9th, 2012, 04:26 PM
And the Dodgers just won free agency!

mugs
December 9th, 2012, 06:00 PM

I read somewhere that that's exactly what they are doing.
They already hired more scouts and they are probably going to trade Harang and Capuano for some minor league talent.

Kubrick
December 10th, 2012, 10:28 AM
I still can't believe that we finally have a ownership group that is willing to spend the money for premiere players.

With this kind of payroll it's going to put huge pressure on the players and management to actually produce results. I love it!

Kubrick
December 10th, 2012, 10:31 AM
The rotation is going to be pretty stacked if Billingsley can stay healthy. Apparently the Dodgers STILL want to add, too.

There's 20 million dollars of 2013 salary devoted to Harang and Lilly. Unreal.

sarf
December 10th, 2012, 10:49 AM
We have a million starters now:

Kershaw
Greinke
Ryu
Beckett

Bills

Capuano
Harang
Lilly

FlyBono24
December 10th, 2012, 11:34 AM
There's 20 million dollars of 2013 salary devoted to Harang and Lilly. Unreal.

One or both of those guys need to be traded for some mid-level prospects...

Kubrick
December 11th, 2012, 08:58 AM
We have a million starters now:

Kershaw
Greinke
Ryu
Beckett

Bills

Capuano
Harang
Lilly

Is Billingsley supposed to be healthy enough to pitch next season?

keyTOarson
December 11th, 2012, 11:58 AM
Is Billingsley supposed to be healthy enough to pitch next season?

He was throwing 94 without pain back in October. Remains to be seen if he can stay healthy all year, though.

Kubrick
December 11th, 2012, 03:23 PM
Spring Training cannot get here soon enough. New ownership and no NHL has got me on the verge of buying Dodgers season tickets for the first time in my life. I haven't been this excited for a season since I was a kid.

sarf
December 11th, 2012, 03:28 PM
Spring Training cannot get here soon enough. New ownership and no NHL has got me on the verge of buying Dodgers season tickets for the first time in my life. I haven't been this excited for a season since I was a kid.

i got myself a 10 game package on monday! super excited

mugs
December 11th, 2012, 04:45 PM
i got myself a 10 game package on monday! super excited

I might do the same. If I remember correctly, they have a lot of ticket package options.

Vargsmal
December 12th, 2012, 12:53 AM
Dodgers acquire Skip Schumaker from the Cards for minor league SS Jake Lemmerman.

Mark Mcgwire supposedly really pushed this on management. Worked with him for years in STL and did well under his tutelage. Looks like an Ellis/Shumaker platoon at 2nd.

keyTOarson
December 18th, 2012, 12:13 PM
Let's get this thread going again.

Ethier a target?

Yes, the Dodgers Are Listening to Offers For Andre Ethier - Mike Scioscia's Tragic Illness (http://www.mikesciosciastragicillness.com/2012/12/18/ae/15031)

Andre Ethier trade rumors: Dodgers 'shopping' sounds a lot like listening - True Blue LA (http://www.truebluela.com/2012/12/18/3780450/andre-ethier-trade-rumors-dodgers)

SuperCalo2000
December 18th, 2012, 04:23 PM
I seriously doubt they'd trade Ethier but it would be irresponsible of Ned not listen to any offers regarding players. Even for Kershaw. Most never pan out anyway. Who knows. Maybe Washington wants Kershaw for Stasberg and Harper. You don't know unless you ask.

pb2k
December 18th, 2012, 11:11 PM
The Ethier contract is horrible. The Dodgers would have to pay so much of it that it would be pointless to trade him.

Stormy2213
December 19th, 2012, 02:26 PM
Disclosure - lifelong Giants fan here. But also lifelong Kings fan so....I won't troll, I promise. I don't know a lot of Dodger fans and figure that I could come here to the friendly confines of LGK to ask a serious question.

Given the new ownership group and their unlimited access to money, what do you all think of the huge spending that the Dodgers are doing in order to field a lineup? I don't ask out of jealousy b/c I firmly believe that it's not going to do them much more good or serve them well, ultimately. I ask b/c I know a lot of you grew up with the great Dodger teams of the past who had the same players year in and year out - and who just killed my Giants year in and year out btw (I STILL hate Cey, Russell, Lopes, and Garvey!)....I know you will always be Dodger fans, don't get me wrong. I just wonder how you feel about the way they are putting the team together.

I will say this as well, I know the Giants, too, have a large payroll, but post Bonds they have invested heavily in player development and in drafting top notch pitching assets which they have used to fill holes (the comparisons between the LA Kings and SF Giants organizations aren't out of line). I'd be interested in hearing from you all. Thanks in advance.

KingThomas
December 19th, 2012, 03:10 PM
Disclosure - lifelong Giants fan here. But also lifelong Kings fan so....I won't troll, I promise. I don't know a lot of Dodger fans and figure that I could come here to the friendly confines of LGK to ask a serious question.

Given the new ownership group and their unlimited access to money, what do you all think of the huge spending that the Dodgers are doing in order to field a lineup? I don't ask out of jealousy b/c I firmly believe that it's not going to do them much more good or serve them well, ultimately. I ask b/c I know a lot of you grew up with the great Dodger teams of the past who had the same players year in and year out - and who just killed my Giants year in and year out btw (I STILL hate Cey, Russell, Lopes, and Garvey!)....I know you will always be Dodger fans, don't get me wrong. I just wonder how you feel about the way they are putting the team together.

I will say this as well, I know the Giants, too, have a large payroll, but post Bonds they have invested heavily in player development and in drafting top notch pitching assets which they have used to fill holes (the comparisons between the LA Kings and SF Giants organizations aren't out of line). I'd be interested in hearing from you all. Thanks in advance.

To be honest, I think most true fans are uncomfortable with the idea of the spending spree. How many rookies of the year have the Dodgers had in the past 4 decades? Home grown talent and superb pitching from the farm has always been a staple of Dodger baseball. To get away from that and play the Monopoly Game of talent isn't exactly what Angelinos are used to (one of LA's NBA franchises excluded).

Though I will admit, after the McCourt era, mixed in with the Stow tragedy, this is exactly what the Dodgers needed, and casting all humility aside, deserve. Not to offend a fan of any Major League club or city, but the MLB franchises that command respect due to sheer number of fans and legacy are the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, and Cubs. Dodgers fans deserve better than the last era, and deserve a contender.

As mentioned in earlier posts in this thread, the fact that the Dodgers are investing in scouting and infrastructure helps ease the mind when it comes to this initial spending, as I am sure the revived scouting will help bring back the tradition of grooming foreign and domestic talent from within.

Kubrick
December 19th, 2012, 03:30 PM
Does anyone have an update on Yasiel Puig? Last I heard he's playing Winter Ball in Puerto Rico but I haven't seen any stats.

keyTOarson
December 19th, 2012, 06:31 PM

The Dodgers are taking major steps to revamp their scouting and development. The problem is that McCourt's tenure bled the farm system and development system practically dry, so the Dodgers HAVE to spend this money now to fill these positions that they have no one coming through the minors for (I don't think I can possibly describe what a terrible place McCourt left the Dodgers in). That being said, Kasten has been bluntly clear (via his words and actions) that scouting, drafting, and developing is the way he builds organizations. They have hired about a dozen renowned international scouts and front office types to assist in the rebuilding of the farm system since Guggenheim took over (I think I posted the links...I'll have to go back and look). Kasten has said on numerous occasions not to expect the extravagant spending on free agents and such to be the norm. It's to cover themselves until their reworked farm system can start producing talent.

I think that's the whole common misconception about the Dodgers right now; people just think they're going to solely attempt to buy championships from here on out while completely ignoring the fact that there is massive foundational building occurring in the organization right now.

Hopefully that helps answer your question.

keyTOarson
December 19th, 2012, 06:32 PM
Does anyone have an update on Yasiel Puig? Last I heard he's playing Winter Ball in Puerto Rico but I haven't seen any stats.

Ask and you shall receive.

Yasiel Puig is 9-for-33 (.273) with a home run, seven RBI, and an ugly 1/13 BB:K ratio. He missed about 10 days with a knee injury.

Down On The Farm: Winter Leagues – Dominguez, Sulbaran, Garcia, Puig, Miller | Chad Moriyama (http://www.chadmoriyama.com/2012/12/down-on-the-farm-winter-leagues-dominguez-sulbaran-garcia-puig-miller/)

FlyBono24
December 19th, 2012, 07:51 PM
To be honest, I think most true fans are uncomfortable with the idea of the spending spree. How many rookies of the year have the Dodgers had in the past 4 decades? Home grown talent and superb pitching from the farm has always been a staple of Dodger baseball. To get away from that and play the Monopoly Game of talent isn't exactly what Angelinos are used to (one of LA's NBA franchises excluded).

Though I will admit, after the McCourt era, mixed in with the Stow tragedy, this is exactly what the Dodgers needed, and casting all humility aside, deserve. Not to offend a fan of any Major League club or city, but the MLB franchises that command respect due to sheer number of fans and legacy are the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, and Cubs. Dodgers fans deserve better than the last era, and deserve a contender.

As mentioned in earlier posts in this thread, the fact that the Dodgers are investing in scouting and infrastructure helps ease the mind when it comes to this initial spending, as I am sure the revived scouting will help bring back the tradition of grooming foreign and domestic talent from within.

Hopefully... the Dodgers tradition has been to build your team through home-grown talent from the Minors. The last few years have been spending money on overpriced (and underproducing) free agents like Uribe, Schmidt, K.Brown, etc.) and trading off some of our best prospects. I am hoping the current spending spree pays off for now with all the new Red Sox guys (Crawford, Gonzo, Beckett) and of course the new big boy in Greinke... but that they also keep guys like Puig and Zach Lee and all of our other top prospects... and maybe swing some deals for other teams' prospects in exchange for guys like Lilly and Harang.

Stormy2213
December 20th, 2012, 10:23 AM
I think that's the whole common misconception about the Dodgers right now; people just think they're going to solely attempt to buy championships from here on out while completely ignoring the fact that there is massive foundational building occurring in the organization right now.

Hopefully that helps answer your question.

Thanks for the reply. It's kinda hard to ignore the fact that they are spending a TON of money on a sort of "all-star" roster - which does come off as Yankee-esque/trying to buy a championship. It can't be denied that they really have overpaid quite a bit for some of the guys they brought it. That's the part that I'm curious about from the fans perspective. Is it a "no big deal, as long as they win I'm ok with it" type thing or something else? I'm not sure how I'd feel about it if the Giants were to do the same. I'd love that they win, if that turned out to be what happened. But I'm wondering if I'd feel a little twinge in my gut about it? It's just an interesting thing to me more than anything.

KingThomas
December 20th, 2012, 10:58 AM
Thanks for the reply. It's kinda hard to ignore the fact that they are spending a TON of money on a sort of "all-star" roster - which does come off as Yankee-esque/trying to buy a championship. It can't be denied that they really have overpaid quite a bit for some of the guys they brought it. That's the part that I'm curious about from the fans perspective. Is it a "no big deal, as long as they win I'm ok with it" type thing or something else? I'm not sure how I'd feel about it if the Giants were to do the same. I'd love that they win, if that turned out to be what happened. But I'm wondering if I'd feel a little twinge in my gut about it? It's just an interesting thing to me more than anything.

Regardless of the Dodgers fan perspective, the fans of every other MLB team, the pundits, and even the casual observer, has cast their opinion. At this point for the Dodgers, its a damned if they do, damned if they don't situation. I live in SouthOC , swimming in a sea of Angels Red, and I've heard the initial volley of trash talk from both angles already.

"Great that your team can buy a championship -sarcasm"
or
"HA! Spent all that $$$ and look what it got you!"

(funny coming from a fan of a team owned by Arturo Moreno)

As a Dodger fan, the spending spree and the backlash of opinions in essence has "backed us into a corner". Dodger fans will support their team loyally through almost anything (McCourt era et al.), and if it means living down overpaid contracts and becoming "the new evil empire" of MLB, so be it.

SuperCalo2000
December 20th, 2012, 11:31 AM
What I'm happier about is the fact that the Dodgers are getting back to their roots re: player development and scouting. Sure it is great if they buy championships but part of the reasons I loved the Dodgers was a homegrown & international feel. Besides, it is better business. Why pay $30/yr when you can pay a couple of mil in scouting and get 3/4 guys that can compete at a similar level and pocket the rest or save it for a guy to put yo over the top ? (Numbers are my idiotic projections)

Kubrick
December 20th, 2012, 03:01 PM
Just bought the official 2013 Dodgers calendar and this gem was featured on the back cover.(see attached photo)

Two questions: 1) when did the Dodgers trade for Brewers career farmhand Mat Gamel? B) Whose brilliant idea was it to include Juan Rivera (and Juan Uribe) in a 2013 team calendar?

doughtydiva
December 23rd, 2012, 11:55 PM

I heard he wasn't playing winter ball but is expected to start in double AA.It is still my guess that we see him at Chavez Ravine in 2013.

doughtydiva
December 24th, 2012, 12:03 AM
I consider myself to be a huge true Dodger fan and we don't have a farm system worth mentioning thanks to Mcourt so players have had to be acquired through eating contracts or free agency.I'm not concerned about the spending because the Dodgers want to win and soon.If you look at what mediocre players are signing for you know how inflated it is..It's long overdue and if it gets us a championship then its all good.I like the Giants and I think what they have done is great but its our turn now and I am going to relish the rivalry next season.

doughtydiva
December 24th, 2012, 12:05 AM
I seriously doubt they'd trade Ethier but it would be irresponsible of Ned not listen to any offers regarding players. Even for Kershaw. Most never pan out anyway. Who knows. Maybe Washington wants Kershaw for Stasberg and Harper. You don't know unless you ask.

You are kidding aren't you? Kershaw needs to be locked up and paid whatever he asks for

doughtydiva
December 24th, 2012, 12:10 AM

I trust Stan Kasten and the organization that they will.You can't build up an anemic farm system over night.At least so far the Dodgers haven't had to give up anor ny pronspects this winter.The game has changed..

doughtydiva
December 24th, 2012, 12:14 AM
On Ethier it was reported that the Red Sox inquired about Ethier and were told he wasn't available.Ethier isn't going anywhere

doughtydiva
December 24th, 2012, 12:20 AM
Seriously. I've already seen people comparing this to the Kevin Brown deal in a negative sense.

Not even in the same stratosphere. Brown was 34 when he signed. Greinke is 29. Brown also pitched pretty damn well for most of his time with the Dodgers. If Greinke can have some seasons like Brown did, I'll be pretty damn happy.

Those people are a bunch of idiots.Greinke will do well with the Dodgers.He has had 15 wins past 3 of 4 seasons with so so teams.Dodger Stadium will be very nice to Zach Greinke and the long suffering Dodger fans.I am so impressed with this guy and how he approaches pitching and the game..No bs with him.He and Kersh will be a very powerfull duo

doughtydiva
December 24th, 2012, 12:26 AM
One or both of those guys need to be traded for some mid-level prospects...
Harang and Capuano more than likely will go to the Mets for prospects.I looked at their roster and couldn't imagine who the Dodgers would be interested in but just not that familiar with anyone on that team.

Frolov24
January 4th, 2013, 12:32 PM
So what's left for the off-season?

The surplus of starters is nice, but with two health question marks (Bills and Lilly) along with Ryu being completely unproven in the majors it would not surprise me to see the Dodgers go to spring training with all their current starters. I don't think they will receive a strong trade offer for Harang or Capuano. Both are #4-5 types on one year deals at $7MM and $6MM respectively, actually $9MM and $7MM with their 2014 option buyouts. These are not terribly attractive deals to another team unless that team loses a starter to injury. The back-loaded 2 year deals Ned handed out prior to last season are not trade friendly. My guess is they go to camp with all of them, Capuano is dealt late for a fringe bench player or prospect and Harang sticks due to a rotation injury or as insurance out of the bullpen. I am not expecting Lilly to make the team, either he'll be back on the DL or released/traded.

Still would like to see a righty bat added to the bench, someone that can be a 4th OF and spell Crawford and Ethier once or twice a week. I guess Hairston is technically that guy now, but don't want to see him getting 300+ at-bats. Cody Ross would have been nice, but that price was even too much for the Dodgers!

The pen is fine; League, Belisario, Jansen and Guerra are a nice core with Guerrier collecting a paycheck as a middle innings guy. I think Ryu or Harang will end up in the pen, Ryu if he struggles in spring or Harang if Ryu performs well enough to claim a rotation spot. There's decent depth in the minors as well, along with the likely Wright/MacDougal type veteran on a minor-league deal. Would love to see Paco Rodriguez take the role of shutdown lefty and run with it for the next 5 years.

Shumaker makes a nice platoon with Ellis at 2B, his OF ability doesn't help as much in LA where there are already two lefty hitting starters.

The only real question mark is 3B/SS. They still want to go with Hanley at SS, which I think is a mistake given his brutal defense there. He's no gold glover at 3B either, but the deficiencies are less glaring. Without any viable SS candidates in free agency or via trade, and Dee Gordon's defensive struggles making him a near non-factor to win the job, I fear we're looking at Hanley kicking around the ball up the middle for the majority of the season. Hopefully he hits enough to make it worthwhile.

Frolov24
January 4th, 2013, 12:46 PM
Just bought the official 2013 Dodgers calendar and this gem was featured on the back cover.(see attached photo)

Two questions: 1) when did the Dodgers trade for Brewers career farmhand Mat Gamel? B) Whose brilliant idea was it to include Juan Rivera (and Juan Uribe) in a 2013 team calendar?

By my count it's likely half of the guys featured on the calendar will not be on the 2013 team; Loney is already on his 2nd team post Dodgers, Uribe is a goner, assuming Gamel is Rivera and neither will be a Dodger, and Capuano, Gordon, and Lilly are all unlikely to be on the roster.

Nice work, why not just do a retro superstar calendar? My choices: FP Santangelo, Trinidad Hubbard, Norihiro Nakamura, Brian Bohanon, Jose Lima, Jason Grabowski, Tripp Cromer, Wilton Guerrero, DJ Houlton, McKay Christensen, Omar Daal, and Charlie Haeger.

Kubrick
January 4th, 2013, 03:37 PM
By my count it's likely half of the guys featured on the calendar will not be on the 2013 team; Loney is already on his 2nd team post Dodgers, Uribe is a goner, assuming Gamel is Rivera and neither will be a Dodger, and Capuano, Gordon, and Lilly are all unlikely to be on the roster.

Nice work, why not just do a retro superstar calendar? My choices: FP Santangelo, Trinidad Hubbard, Norihiro Nakamura, Brian Bohanon, Jose Lima, Jason Grabowski, Tripp Cromer, Wilton Guerrero, DJ Houlton, McKay Christensen, Omar Daal, and Charlie Haeger.

Find a way to get Rafeal Bournigal and Roger Cedeno in there and I'll buy 3!

SuperCalo2000
January 4th, 2013, 04:04 PM

Ahhh Trinedad Hubbard. I still remember that game I saw at Candlestick. I believe he hit a leadoff homer and that was it for both teams. Carlos Perez (who amazingly you forgot to include on your list) pitched a complete game shutout. Man, what a game. Amazing. I believe Matt Luke signed my ticket stub that day too. Ah memories.

Tripp Cromer was a homie though. On the real. Skinny as heck but had surprising power.

Ah Lima time... R.I.P. Great moral playoff win against the Cards and had a lovely wife.

I'm still waiting for my Hiram Bocachica fathead.

Funny how I remember this but I can't tell you the birthdays of any of my siblings or parents. :drinking:

FBJ
January 6th, 2013, 08:26 AM

Ahh...those were the days. I remember one night...must have been during the 2004 season...where we were way up in our reserve level, third base line seats during the sixth inning of a miserable game by the Dodgers while Grabowski was playing left field. The crowd was so quiet that, when my buddy Dennis and I stood up and yelled, "YOU SUCK GRABOWSKI!!!" he actually heard us, turned in our direction, and flipped us the bird.

He did suck, though.

KingThomas
January 8th, 2013, 02:03 PM
Reliever JP Howell, Dodgers finalize $2.85M deal (http://Reliever JP Howell, Dodgers finalize $2.85M deal)

Kubrick
January 22nd, 2013, 12:24 PM
Dodgers, Time Warner Cable have a deal - latimes.com (http://www.latimes.com/sports/dodgersnow/la-sp-dn-dodgers-time-warner-20130122,0,471512.story)

Huge news.

SuperCalo2000
January 22nd, 2013, 01:16 PM
Ugh !!! Another channel ??? Stupid. Can you say sports programming bubble ?

Kubrick
January 22nd, 2013, 01:55 PM
Ugh !!! Another channel ??? Stupid. Can you say sports programming bubble ?

The Kings TV deal is looking worse every single day. $21 M per season is nice but with the Dodgers and Lakers leaving Fox combined with the Kings winning the Cup while setting local TV viewership records during the Playoffs, Lieweke and Robitaille are looking pretty foolish for being so eager to get the Fox contract extended.

SuperCalo2000
January 22nd, 2013, 04:45 PM
I would normally agree with you but I bet the rating for the Dodgers and Laguneros are much higher than that of the Kings. I understand why networks pay for live sports (captive audience, guaranteed viewers, one of the few things men will actually watch on tv etc...) but the sums being paid is more than the team is supposedly worth. It always comes out of our pockets eventually. I'm just wondering when people will finally say enough to the high cable bills.

It is only a matter of time before a-la-carte becomes fashionable or Leagues just cut the cable middlemen out of the equation. Why am I paying for E!, Logo, A&E, We ? The sports team might even get more cash that way. Maybe not ? who knows and ultimately, who really cares ?

I am excited to see the Boys in Blue play though. They should all be in sync and ready to play ball. Am I expecting a World Series ? No but they are definitely in the running. Even with "super teams" things have to fall your way.

Kubrick
January 23rd, 2013, 10:20 AM
I would normally agree with you but I bet the rating for the Dodgers and Laguneros are much higher than that of the Kings. I understand why networks pay for live sports (captive audience, guaranteed viewers, one of the few things men will actually watch on tv etc...) but the sums being paid is more than the team is supposedly worth. It always comes out of our pockets eventually. I'm just wondering when people will finally say enough to the high cable bills.

It is only a matter of time before a-la-carte becomes fashionable or Leagues just cut the cable middlemen out of the equation. Why am I paying for E!, Logo, A&E, We ? The sports team might even get more cash that way. Maybe not ? who knows and ultimately, who really cares ?

I am excited to see the Boys in Blue play though. They should all be in sync and ready to play ball. Am I expecting a World Series ? No but they are definitely in the running. Even with "super teams" things have to fall your way.

Hey, it can always get worse. Fans of Canadian NHL teams have to use PPV to watch some of their games. Now THAT is ****ed up.

SuperCalo2000
January 23rd, 2013, 10:44 AM
True but I'd almost rather do PPV than be stuck with Food Network and Oxygen. Then again, I don't have cable. I just want my sports and pron dang-nabbit ! I still say its a bubble and see the future being something like streams on GameCenter. Mind you, I don't mean within the next year but in like 5-10.

DanteHicks
February 25th, 2013, 11:26 PM
It's just spring training but it was great to see and hear Vinny again.

Kubrick
February 27th, 2013, 03:11 PM
Are any of the Spring Training games going to be televised? I haven't seen anything listed on channel guide.

pumpernicholl
February 27th, 2013, 06:12 PM
Are any of the Spring Training games going to be televised? I haven't seen anything listed on channel guide.

Kubrick, I found this on MSTI:

Updated Spring Broadcast Schedule Has 17 Dodger Games - Mike Scioscia's Tragic Illness (http://www.mikesciosciastragicillness.com/2013/02/24/updated-spring-broadcast-schedule-has-17-dodger-games/16140)

Dawdler
March 20th, 2013, 08:27 PM
Ramirez could be out up to 2 months (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mlb/news/20130320/los-angeles-dodgers-hanley-ramirez-thumb-injury.ap/?sct=hp_t2_a7&eref=sihp)

I like the WBC but it should be played after the season and not before so **** like this doesn't screw up a teams season right out of the gate.

pb2k
March 21st, 2013, 09:06 AM
#Dodgers: Torn ligament in Ramirez's right thumb. Surgery tomorrow in LA. Thumb immobilized for three weeks. Expected back in about 8 weeks.

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/314769429093298177

Kubrick
March 25th, 2013, 12:21 PM
The gf and I drove out to AZ this past Saturday to catch the game. Ryu looked great. Dominant curveball. Fastball looked above average. Kemp looks noticeably leaner. I wonder what affect on his power that'll have. Above all, Puig looked incredible. He looks more like a OLB/DE than a baseball player. His double was a rocket off the bat. He runs like a colt. Long stride and powerful. He appears to have all the tools. I really hope he puts it all together in the AA this year.

keyTOarson
March 25th, 2013, 08:04 PM
The gf and I drove out to AZ this past Saturday to catch the game. Ryu looked great. Dominant curveball. Fastball looked above average. Kemp looks noticeably leaner. I wonder what affect on his power that'll have. Above all, Puig looked incredible. He looks more like a OLB/DE than a baseball player. His double was a rocket off the bat. He runs like a colt. Long stride and powerful. He appears to have all the tools. I really hope he puts it all together in the AA this year.

Thanks for the update!

KingThomas
March 25th, 2013, 10:27 PM

I really think Puig needs some time in the AA, but he's sure making it hard to not want him on the opening day roster. What an absolute beast.

DanteHicks
March 26th, 2013, 05:04 PM
Puig just got sent down along with Dee Gordon. I'm hoping the pipeline gets re-stocked while we pay a billion dollars to formerly underachieving vets who surprise everyone with a comeback year. Of course that's because there's no cap and it's not my money...

doughtydiva
March 31st, 2013, 03:54 PM
Puig can't play due to his contract.If they wait 20 days and call him up they have control another year.I know they want him to be ready and go through the proper channels etc but lot has to do with having him another year.They just aren't going to say that.

Kubrick
April 1st, 2013, 10:27 AM
Puig can't play due to his contract.If they wait 20 days and call him up they have control another year.I know they want him to be ready and go through the proper channels etc but lot has to do with having him another year.They just aren't going to say that.

Insider information?

pb2k
April 1st, 2013, 03:15 PM
Kershaw is amazing. Just hit a lead off homer in the 8th to make it 1-0 Dodgers.

Vargsmal
April 1st, 2013, 09:05 PM
great game today! Just hand Kershaw a blank check please.

KingThomas
April 1st, 2013, 09:21 PM
New thread? Or new title?

Helluva game.

cheap
April 1st, 2013, 09:29 PM
That was a fun game! Hope the rest of the season is like that.