PDA

View Full Version : Lakers 2012-2013 Thread

TooCool
October 30th, 2012, 08:47 PM
Here we go. Super team time!

beedee
October 30th, 2012, 09:10 PM
Steve Nash puts up the first points for the Lakers with a 3-pointer!

Kubrick
November 1st, 2012, 12:38 PM
Uhhh, the new uber-Lakers are now 0-2 (0-10 including meaningless pre-season games).

Why does their defense suck so badly?

DRGinLBC
November 1st, 2012, 12:57 PM
Uhhh, the new uber-Lakers are now 0-2 (0-10 including meaningless pre-season games).

Why does their defense suck so badly?

Look how old the team is...they can't back on D.

Ice24
November 1st, 2012, 03:04 PM
I like the youth on this team, Kobe, Nash, Jamison and Peace.

SmytheKing
November 1st, 2012, 04:50 PM
Saw this. Made me laugh. Probably not too far off either.

http://s15.postimage.org/iwdtfy3qx/lakers_season.jpg

TooCool
November 3rd, 2012, 12:37 AM
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn254/Filsasco/coachbe.gif

VEGASKING
November 3rd, 2012, 04:13 AM
Mike Brown can't be fired soon enough. Never should have been hired in the first place.

VEGASKING
November 7th, 2012, 03:59 PM
Sweet. Just browsing through the guide on the dvr and the Lakers channel was added today. I just looked online to see what was happpening with this the other night and wasn't holding out much hope a deal with Cox would be reached anytime soon.

TooCool
November 7th, 2012, 09:38 PM
1-4. Brown better already have his bags packed. He's not welcomed at Staples Center.

Cross Traffic
November 8th, 2012, 07:42 AM
LOL at Steve Blake getting fined $25,000 for running his mouth at the spoiled brat son of LA Gear's founder. (1988 called, they want their shoes back).

rinkrat
November 9th, 2012, 11:27 AM
Brown just got fired.

Luc SkyBomba
November 9th, 2012, 11:53 AM
too bad, brown was helping the Clips take the division this season

who now? d'antoni or sloan?

SmytheKing
November 9th, 2012, 11:57 AM
too bad, brown was helping the Clips take the division this season

who now? d'antoni or sloan?

Bet your ass that they're on the phone with Phil from all angles (not a triangle joke by the way).

I'd be fine with either of those three really. Someone was saying Shaw earlier as well, but I can't see them bringing in another guy who doesn't have experience with the big boys for this team. You need a guy with a track record when you're running with a $100 million dollar payroll.

mitchrock
November 9th, 2012, 12:42 PM
I want Coop as next LAkers coach.

TooCool
November 9th, 2012, 01:37 PM
Finally! They *DO* listen to the fans.

Best news to wake up to.

Dexter
November 9th, 2012, 02:26 PM
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/59475_10151284933530498_632007063_n.jpg

VEGASKING
November 9th, 2012, 03:27 PM
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s122/em0phobic/5db2f2f9.gif

I was expecting a week or two after the vote of confidence. Glad it was 36 hours instead.

Brandon
November 11th, 2012, 11:53 AM
Phil Jackson c'mon dowwnnnnn!

Gonna be great to have PJ back.

Dexter
November 12th, 2012, 01:16 AM
Looks like it's Mike D'Antoni.

VEGASKING
November 12th, 2012, 01:54 AM
Yep. I guess they'll try to outscore everyone.

Lakers Hire Mike D'Antoni | THE OFFICIAL SITE OF THE LOS ANGELES LAKERS (http://on.nba.com/SGAp9i)

SmytheKing
November 12th, 2012, 11:02 AM
Gotta love it.

"We stand behind Mike 100%"...24 hours later he's fired

"Money won't be the issue when hiring a coach"...24 hours later D'Antoni is hired because of money

Better do well or else this is going to come back and bite Jimmy in the ass.

TooCool
November 13th, 2012, 09:00 AM
Still unsure of the decision to hire D'Antoni.. but he's still a million times better than Mike Brown.

If reports about Phil Jackson getting thrown under the "buss" is true, then I hate Jim even more. He's a moron and has no business taking over after Jerry.

Drunken Crunker
November 22nd, 2012, 10:15 AM
When is Nash expected back?

TooCool
November 22nd, 2012, 05:56 PM
When is Nash expected back?

His target return date keeps getting pushed back for some reason... originally they said November 27. Now they say it is Mid-December.

Cross Traffic
November 28th, 2012, 12:05 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-NGWjuD108

Joey Crawford, tax evader and all around scumbag.

Brandon
November 30th, 2012, 11:43 PM
Jamison with 33 off the bench. :whoo:

TooCool
December 3rd, 2012, 11:39 AM
Tim Duncan and Tony Parker are okay in my book now.

http://i.imgur.com/fgq97.jpg

VEGASKING
December 4th, 2012, 12:18 AM
Wonder how much they'll get fined for that.

And this team is pathetic.

TooCool
December 4th, 2012, 10:40 AM
And this team is pathetic.

One reason I don't like the hiring of D'Antoni is his "Live by the 3, die by the 3" style. That never works.

VEGASKING
December 4th, 2012, 08:52 PM
****ing embarrassing. If Dwights fragile ego/confiedence can't handle sitting out 90 seconds or whatever while the game is being pissed away they might as well trade him now before he leaves for nothing. You can't afford to give up 4 or 5 possessions in a row in close games like that.

Putting MWP on smaller quicker guards who just go around him like he's not even there at the end of games isn't helping either. I don't know how it's possible to lose and give up 107 points to a team that shot 37%. I don't know how much more of this I can take.

SmytheKing
December 4th, 2012, 11:11 PM
At least Showtime is back...

Cross Traffic
December 5th, 2012, 08:41 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=lTeZ6elLcow

Up by 17 and they choke? How Laker like.

SmytheKing
January 23rd, 2013, 08:27 PM
Boy that Antoni hiring has turned out great for this team. Gotta love Jim Buss. Can't wait to see what he has in store for us next.

TooCool
January 24th, 2013, 11:21 AM
Jim Buss has proven time and time again that he doesn't know how to run a team. Absolutely hate it when someone has a job just because someone is somebody's kid.

Ice24
January 24th, 2013, 11:25 AM
I really like what the Lakers have done this year.

Luc SkyBomba
January 24th, 2013, 01:26 PM
I really like what the Lakers have done this year.

yeah, same here. i was actually scared they might hire dunleavy...

lithium
January 27th, 2013, 11:29 PM
Well that was a surprising win tonight.

TooCool
January 28th, 2013, 10:27 AM
Well that was a surprising win tonight.

Definitely good to see since we know they're capable of it. Perhaps they want to channel the Kings and win the title as an 8th seed? ;) Then again, home court means EVERYTHING in the NBA and means little in the NHL. Oh well.

lithium
January 28th, 2013, 06:17 PM
Yeah. They've got a huge mountain to climb just to get home court for the 1st round, let alone any other round. lol I just hope that Dwight ends up getting the Lakers some pieces, or stays for the long haul. To lose Bynum for nothing would suck, especially how thin this team is already.

mugs
January 29th, 2013, 09:46 AM
I agree with TC about home court advantage in the NBA. The refs really lean towards the home teams.
I'm not sure they can even make the 8th seed though. They've really dug themselves a hole.

SmytheKing
February 10th, 2013, 05:53 PM
God the Lakers screwed the pooch by not hiring Phil again. Antoni has just been an absolute disaster. Just like he was in NYC. Honestly might one of the worst coaches I've ever seen operate.

AngryKing
February 11th, 2013, 05:15 PM
God the Lakers screwed the pooch by not hiring Phil again. Antoni has just been an absolute disaster. Just like he was in NYC. Honestly might one of the worst coaches I've ever seen operate.

Ditto. Dwight Howard doesn't help either. The dude is a chump. Nash is just done. The rest of the team is terrible. Very disappointing season. D12 is as good as gone. Who do the Lakers get to replace him?

SmytheKing
February 11th, 2013, 07:31 PM
Ditto. Dwight Howard doesn't help either. The dude is a chump. Nash is just done. The rest of the team is terrible. Very disappointing season. D12 is as good as gone. Who do the Lakers get to replace him?

No one. Since Buss is so stupid he mortgaged the future on Nash and Howard. Phil would have made Howard a better, and stronger, player. Right now they have a terrible coach who doesn't know how to adjust and make pieces work. So, enjoy the mediocrity for the next couple of years until they can get some draft picks again.

TooCool
February 14th, 2013, 03:40 PM
LA Lakers Owner Jerry Buss Dying Of Cancer, Family & Friends At His Bedside | Radar Online (http://radaronline.com/exclusives/2013/02/lakers-owner-jerry-buss-dying-of-cancer-family-at-hospital/)

Crappy news... Dr. Buss has a few days left according to this article. :(

C-DUB
February 18th, 2013, 12:43 PM
RIP Dr Buss

TooCool
February 18th, 2013, 05:12 PM
Rest in Peace Dr. Buss. Thanks for everything you've done. You'll truly be missed.

redxalonso
February 18th, 2013, 07:08 PM
RIP Dr. Buss

kingsfan32
March 8th, 2013, 11:32 PM
Kobe just showed why he is still the man!! If you missed it, watch the last few mins of tonights game.

LetTigerIn
March 27th, 2013, 08:59 PM
33 win streak safe.

TooCool
March 28th, 2013, 10:26 AM
Come on Lakers... pull a Kings this season and win the title as the #8 seed.

redxalonso
March 28th, 2013, 11:00 PM
The Kings have a great coach.

The Lakers have a donkey

TooCool
April 2nd, 2013, 10:49 AM
Lakers are retiring Shaq's jersey tonight!

redxalonso
April 13th, 2013, 04:56 AM
Get well soon, Kobe.

CHARAzard
April 13th, 2013, 05:41 AM
Get well soon, Kobe.

He does not deserve to go out like that.

Hopefully he can come back %100 within a year.

Godspeed, Kobe.

TooCool
April 13th, 2013, 04:34 PM
Most devastating injury of Kobe's career. Hope he comes back stronger than ever.

Now it's up to Dwight to take over this team. I'm still surprised Metta World Peace came back as soon as he did.. that's pretty nuts too. It's too bad that our bench is completely pathetic.

TooCool
April 15th, 2013, 09:16 AM
Nice ugly win over the Spurs last night.

Funny how the crowd was booing Pop for having his team use the Hack-A-Dwight method in the 3rd quarter. The crowd would be cheering Pop if Dwight learned how to shoot free throws like a man. Is it hurting the integrity of the game? Sure, but Dwight is also doing the same by missing freebies.

I still hate the live and die by the three method from D'Antoni. It's just... stupid. If Meeks, Jamison, and Blake didn't drain all those 3s to put us up by 10+ we would have easily lost the game. It's sad to say that this will be the only way we'll win, if these shooters are magically hot. Because they're useless otherwise.

Bogey
April 17th, 2013, 03:59 PM
Go Houston!

Go Utah!

Luc SkyBomba
April 17th, 2013, 04:32 PM
Go Houston!

Go Utah!

and go Phoenix!!!

TooCool
April 18th, 2013, 09:03 AM
Go Houston!

Go Utah!

Both of them sucked, as expected.

Now beat those Spurs! They tanked the #1 seed to avoid the Lakers. Look what that got them... :lol:

Luc SkyBomba
April 18th, 2013, 10:29 AM
i'm happy the lakers won last night cause i'd rather see OKC vs houston in the first round!

mrm55
June 25th, 2013, 04:52 PM
Amnesty Kobe? Anyone?

SmytheKing
June 25th, 2013, 04:54 PM
Amnesty Kobe? Anyone?

They should but they don't have the balls.

mrm55
June 25th, 2013, 05:59 PM
They should but they don't have the balls.

Agreed. I'm a huge Kobe fan. But there comes a time. The return from that njury at any age is a guess, for him he is probably 48 years old in number of minutes played, makes it even more questionable. Pre injury he was no longer even in the top 5 players. Now???

TooCool
June 25th, 2013, 10:06 PM
Amnesty Kobe? Anyone?

Absolutely not.

Dexter
June 26th, 2013, 09:27 PM
Do it.

ucsdguy1
June 27th, 2013, 09:34 AM
uh....yikes?

Los Angeles Lakers not likely to re-sign Dwight Howard, sources say - ESPN Los Angeles (http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/9427945/los-angeles-lakers-not-likely-re-sign-dwight-howard-sources-say)

alexisyque
June 27th, 2013, 09:57 AM
Amnesty Kobe? Anyone?

YES. It'd rather he end his career somewhat gracefully than watch him struggle to come back from an injury, most likely playing like hell.
If you amnesty him we don't have to see his wife anymore either..it's a win win!

SmytheKing
June 27th, 2013, 11:39 AM
uh....yikes?

Los Angeles Lakers not likely to re-sign Dwight Howard, sources say - ESPN Los Angeles (http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/9427945/los-angeles-lakers-not-likely-re-sign-dwight-howard-sources-say)
Not a shock. He doesn't like Kobe, Kobe isn't going to give him the reins while he's still playing, and D'Antoni is an awful coach for this team and won't lead them anywhere? Going to Houston makes too much sense because of the youth of that team and (with Dwight) the inside/out combination. The Lakers, because of their insistence to keep their coach and not originally go with Phil dug their own graves.

This year will be a waste and then you can just hope they get some things out of the '14 crop of FA's when they drop like a billion off their payroll. At least Steve Nash is still signed for three years....

ucsdguy1
June 27th, 2013, 03:20 PM
I think it's hilarious that it comes out the day after all the "Stay." banners went up.

You almost feel like they know D'antoni was a mistake, but are just going to bite the bullet and let things suck this year going into the '14 crop..

mrm55
June 27th, 2013, 03:40 PM
This sucks.

TooCool
June 27th, 2013, 04:16 PM
YES. It'd rather he end his career somewhat gracefully than watch him struggle to come back from an injury, most likely playing like hell.
If you amnesty him we don't have to see his wife anymore either..it's a win win!

Knowing Kobe, he isn't going to struggle. :) But even if Kobe isn't 100% or won't ever be again, he's a Laker for life. No way you amnesty him and have him play for another team... I can't picture that happening, and I don't want to.

VEGASKING
June 28th, 2013, 12:21 AM
Houston plays the same style the Lakers do. In that sense he doesn't fit there either. I just hope they can do a sign and trade with somebody. At least get something for him.

alexisyque
June 28th, 2013, 01:44 PM
D'Antoni is a putz. The end

TooCool
June 28th, 2013, 03:10 PM
D'Antoni is a putz. The end

No doubt about that. Still can't believe they didn't re-hire Phil Jackson.

SmytheKing
June 28th, 2013, 03:15 PM
No doubt about that. Still can't believe they didn't re-hire Phil Jackson.

That move will set the Lakers back quite a few years. It's a domino effect.

mrm55
June 30th, 2013, 12:37 PM
Dallas is pulling out all the stops:

Dwight Howard Offered Free Chicken Fingers for Life If He Signs with Mavericks | Bleacher Report (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1689371-dwight-howard-offered-free-chicken-fingers-for-life-if-he-signs-with-mavericks)

TooCool
July 1st, 2013, 01:28 PM
Anyone else have a feeling that Howard will sign with some other team before the Lakers get to meet with him? It would be a fitting way to stick it to Jim Buss, who signed D'Antoni before they even talked to Phil Jackson.

LetTigerIn
July 1st, 2013, 01:34 PM
Anyone else have a feeling that Howard will sign with some other team before the Lakers get to meet with him? It would be a fitting way to stick it to Jim Buss, who signed D'Antoni before they even talked to Phil Jackson.

He talked to the Lakers first, actually, at 12:01AM today, though not necessarily a chat of substance:

Source -- Dwight Howard met with Lakers GM before meeting with Houston Rockets - ESPN Los Angeles (http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/9440466/source-dwight-howard-met-lakers-gm-meeting-houston-rockets)

TooCool
July 1st, 2013, 01:42 PM
He talked to the Lakers first, actually, at 12:01AM today, though not necessarily a chat of substance:

Source -- Dwight Howard met with Lakers GM before meeting with Houston Rockets - ESPN Los Angeles (http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/9440466/source-dwight-howard-met-lakers-gm-meeting-houston-rockets)

Yeah, I think Mitch swooped in to talk to him first. But Dwight is suppose to meet with the Lakers last as well.

I think his mind is already made up. He just likes the attention he's getting from all the other teams. However, if he is leaving anyway... I just have that gut feeling that he'll agree to sign with some other team before the Lakers can make their final pitch. What better way than to stick it to us the same way we "stuck it to Phil" right?

If he leaves, all the Laker fans will hate him anyway. So with this scenario, all the Laker haters would cheer him even more for doing it to the Lakers.

LetTigerIn
July 1st, 2013, 02:43 PM
I don't think he will, because the time frame is so short, and also because he has shown his indecisiveness in the past. I think he really agonizes over these decisions. I don't think he's comfortable here, but I also don't think he has animosity for the Lakers. If he were going to stick it to the Lakers, though, I suppose the time to do it would be right after meeting with Dallas but before meeting with the Lakers. However, I think he'll take his time deciding. Plus, excluding the Lakers entirely would also eliminate the option of a potential sign and trade.

Now, to destroy the credibility of my opinion, I offer this wacky solution to explore: If Dwight hasn't decided by July 10, try to set up a sign and trade with Nets for Garnett and Pierce. Salaries should be close enough to work (Garnett $12.4M, Pierce $15.3M); Nets finally get Howard; Howard finally gets to go to NY Nets; Garnett and Pierce, though older, can both shoot from the outside for D'Antoni; Pierce on expiring contract, and Garnett on 2 years; Garnett and Kobe are friends. The only downside for the Lakers is that they then still don't have a superstar for the post-Kobe era, but I'm not sure that Howard would have been that superstar anyway. Plus, the free agent class of 2014 may provide a solution to that.

SmytheKing
July 1st, 2013, 03:01 PM
I don't think he will, because the time frame is so short, and also because he has shown his indecisiveness in the past. I think he really agonizes over these decisions. I don't think he's comfortable here, but I also don't think he has animosity for the Lakers. If he were going to stick it to the Lakers, though, I suppose the time to do it would be right after meeting with Dallas but before meeting with the Lakers. However, I think he'll take his time deciding. Plus, excluding the Lakers entirely would also eliminate the option of a potential sign and trade.

Now, to destroy the credibility of my opinion, I offer this wacky solution to explore: If Dwight hasn't decided by July 10, try to set up a sign and trade with Nets for Garnett and Pierce. Salaries should be close enough to work (Garnett $12.4M, Pierce $15.3M); Nets finally get Howard; Howard finally gets to go to NY Nets; Garnett and Pierce, though older, can both shoot from the outside for D'Antoni; Pierce on expiring contract, and Garnett on 2 years; Garnett and Kobe are friends. The only downside for the Lakers is that they then still don't have a superstar for the post-Kobe era, but I'm not sure that Howard would have been that superstar anyway. Plus, the free agent class of 2014 may provide a solution to that.

Without them coming out and saying it, their plan is to resign Howard and have the room to get Lebron in 2014. Nash will still be here. Kobe can stay on a cheaper contract and try and get that sixth ring. Surround them with shooters and a defensive guy at the 4. Will that happen? Probably not.

LetTigerIn
July 2nd, 2013, 10:22 AM
... aaaaaaaaand reportedly Jeanie Buss will not be at the meeting today. It's all on Jim Buss. Plus, no Magic, Kareem, Worthy, etc., as some may feel that Dwight may not react well to the pressure of the Lakers' legacy.

Every report just leaves me with more and more questions. Does anyone else's brain hurt as much as mine?

SmytheKing
July 2nd, 2013, 10:28 AM
... aaaaaaaaand reportedly Jeanie Buss will not be at the meeting today. It's all on Jim Buss. Plus, no Magic, Kareem, Worthy, etc., as some may feel that Dwight may not react well to the pressure of the Lakers' legacy.

Every report just leaves me with more and more questions. Does anyone else's brain hurt as much as mine?
Was listening to the radio yesterday and a good point was brought up. It almost feels like the Lakers aren't really pushing hard to keep him. Like, they're already wanting to just cut ties with him and move on. Billboards that cost them next to nothing, a tweet by a former coach (who you didn't hire even though you knew Dwight wanted him), what you just posted above.

Basically the Lakers just gave up a bunch of first round draft picks and Andrew Bynum for Steve Nash. Nice job boys. Great use of assets.

LetTigerIn
July 2nd, 2013, 10:41 AM
Was listening to the radio yesterday and a good point was brought up. It almost feels like the Lakers aren't really pushing hard to keep him. Like, they're already wanting to just cut ties with him and move on. Billboards that cost them next to nothing, a tweet by a former coach (who you didn't hire even though you knew Dwight wanted him), what you just posted above.

Basically the Lakers just gave up a bunch of first round draft picks and Andrew Bynum for Steve Nash. Nice job boys. Great use of assets.

That is one of the questions I had! — about whether they want to keep him, especially to the tune of a max contract. It really does seem like they're making superficial overtures just so they can say,"Well, we tried."

What hurts even more than losing the picks is that losing the picks may have been the least of the blunders over the past couple of seasons.

TooCool
July 2nd, 2013, 11:06 AM
The fact that we even have to "woo" Dwight Howard despite him being able to receive a max contract here is a red flag.

I personally wouldn't be too bummed if he left... though I would still like to see a lineup of Howard, Gasol, Bryant, and Nash all at 100%. We didn't get that once last season... we were doomed before the season even began.

mrm55
July 2nd, 2013, 11:28 AM
That is one of the questions I had! ? about whether they want to keep him, especially to the tune of a max contract. It really does seem like they're making superficial overtures just so they can say,"Well, we tried."

What hurts even more than losing the picks is that losing the picks may have been the least of the blunders over the past couple of seasons.

Yeah. Being stuck with a 90 year old Nash for 2 more years is sickening. If only we could amnesty this guy, I'd kick in $100 bucks to get rid of him.

TooCool
July 2nd, 2013, 11:32 AM
Yeah. Being stuck with a 90 year old Nash for 2 more years is sickening. If only we could amnesty this guy, I'd kick in $100 bucks to get rid of him.

Well, you could just go to a Laker game and you would already be helping. :)

SmytheKing
July 2nd, 2013, 12:40 PM
If the Lakers lose Howard (which it looks like they will), they should trade Gasol for picks and amnesty Artest (since they don't have the balls to do it with Kobe) and tell Bryant to just take the year off to get healthy. Hope you end up winning the lottery, get Higgins, and then resign Kobe for cheap and hope you can get James/Love/George or some package of them.

Oh, fire D'Antoni too.

alexisyque
July 2nd, 2013, 05:20 PM
Knowing Kobe, he isn't going to struggle. :) But even if Kobe isn't 100% or won't ever be again, he's a Laker for life.

This is a little off topic but it's Kobe news so I don't think you'd mind. I was at the Beyonce concert on Friday (haaaay!), and about 10 minutes to start a spotlight went out into the crowd and everyone started going NUTS..it was Kobe walking in with his daughters. He was jumping up and down with one of his girls and everyone started chanting "mamba" and gave him a standing ovation. I guess he's healing well..was a crazy moment to witness

SmytheKing
July 3rd, 2013, 02:31 PM
All along I felt DH would go to Houston (Harden is like a young Kobe, with other good players around him). But, just now I had a gut feeling he might stay with the Lakers. Does Houston have the team to beat Miami even with Howard? I don't think so. So the immediate championship thing criteria is iffy. If its just who will have the better team next year-Houston wins over LA. What's just as important to these great players as a ring? To some who are great enough, and have a big name, it's having hundreds of millions AFTER playing, like Magic. Which city can offer that? LA. With AEG and Time Warner whispering in his ear, "ya wanna be as rich as Magic, we can help!" For that reason alone, I think it puts us on equal footing with Houston. So DH holds court for all his suitors, to get the details of what can I really get from your city (besides a ring). Add in a existing home in Newport (unless you're a cowboy, who wants to live in Houston?). I won't be shocked either way.

Miami is going to have a tough time with Wade falling apart and Bosh being Bosh. Harden, Howard, and (likely) Smith along with Lin and the other people there make for a very athletic, young, fast team that can play defense and score. Having those guys all signed for the next five years and all being under 20 is going to be a force.

Or he can stick with the Lakers and hope people stay healthy all year long, that they can sign people to big contracts in 2014, and Kobe is willing to go quietly into the night and let the transition happen.

What seems like the better choice for a guy who isn't an alpha dog and who wants to win a championship?

mrm55
July 3rd, 2013, 02:35 PM
Miami is going to have a tough time with Wade falling apart and Bosh being Bosh. Harden, Howard, and (likely) Smith along with Lin and the other people there make for a very athletic, young, fast team that can play defense and score. Having those guys all signed for the next five years and all being under 20 is going to be a force.

Or he can stick with the Lakers and hope people stay healthy all year long, that they can sign people to big contracts in 2014, and Kobe is willing to go quietly into the night and let the transition happen.

What seems like the better choice for a guy who isn't an alpha dog and who wants to win a championship?

Sorry, tried to edit my post and deleted it.

All along I felt DH would go to Houston (Harden is like a young Kobe, with other good players around him). But, just now I had a gut feeling he might stay with the Lakers. Does Houston have the team to beat Miami even with Howard? I don't think so. So the immediate championship thing criteria is iffy. If its just who will have the better team next year-Houston wins over LA.

What's just as important to these great players as a ring? To some who are great enough, and have a big name, it's having hundreds of millions AFTER playing, like Magic. These guys want to own their own sports teams- like Magic. You can't do that on $20 mil a year for a few years. Nope you need a marketable name and real rich folks helping you. Which city can offer that? LA. With AEG and Time Warner whispering in his ear, "ya wanna be as rich as Magic, we can help!" For that reason alone, I think it puts us on equal footing with Houston.

So DH holds court for all his suitors, to get the details of what can I really get from your city (besides a ring)... LA wins. Add in a existing home in Newport (unless you're a cowboy, who wants to live in Houston?).

I hope he stays, but I won't be shocked either way.

mrm55
July 5th, 2013, 04:42 PM
Howard to Rockets. Stephen A. Smith has reported on ESPN TV. No link yet.

SmytheKing
July 5th, 2013, 04:52 PM
Such a shame they won't blow it up like they should.

mrm55
July 5th, 2013, 06:01 PM
Both Dwight's agent and Houston say it isn't a done deal.

Dwight Howard reportedly going to Houston - latimes.com (http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-dwight-howard-lakers-20130705,0,3804663.story)

SmytheKing
July 5th, 2013, 06:05 PM
Both Dwight's agent and Houston say it isn't a done deal.

Dwight Howard reportedly going to Houston - latimes.com (http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-dwight-howard-lakers-20130705,0,3804663.story)

Only because they haven't worked out details. It's done. Figure they're trying to get Smith on the team first and then it'll be announced. Paperwork.

Brandon
July 5th, 2013, 09:04 PM
It's official now. He tweeted it, and it's confirmed that he's pussed out and ran from a challenge.

But hey, good luck out there with Harden and assorted scrubs.

Brandon
July 5th, 2013, 09:13 PM
Additionally, I'd like to say this ****ing circus has shown just what a true pro Pau Gasol is.

The guy took ridiculous amounts criticism, but in the end still handled playing with a demanding superstar and demanding franchise like a professional...Unlike someone else.

TooCool
July 5th, 2013, 10:05 PM
Hack a Dwight = Easy win. Can't wait until we play the Rockets.

ucsdguy1
July 6th, 2013, 08:30 AM
Hack a Dwight = Easy win. Can't wait until we play the Rockets.
My guess is Howard is hurt before that game. Or, Kobe goes for 80.

Sadly the lakers will struggle this year and it will seem Howard made the right call, until 2 years from now when it flips.

mrm55
July 6th, 2013, 10:01 AM
The 2014 odds yesterday, when the unconfirmed reports came out that Dwight was leaving, had LA @ 80:1. For the next 2 hours of he may stay with the Lakers, they instantly dropped to 40:1. This morning 65:1.

Brandon
July 6th, 2013, 11:50 AM
The 2014 odds yesterday, when the unconfirmed reports came out that Dwight was leaving, had LA @ 80:1. For the next 2 hours of he may stay with the Lakers, they instantly dropped to 40:1. This morning 65:1.

Not surprising. The '14 season is lost, but the Lakers are on their Summer of '14 plan where they'll have cleared tons of cap space.

VEGASKING
July 9th, 2013, 08:10 AM
Kaman signed for 1 year. Good player when he's healthy. They are going to amnesty MWP.

SmytheKing
July 9th, 2013, 09:22 AM
Kaman signed for 1 year. Good player when he's healthy. They are going to amnesty MWP.

They BETTER get two of the three guys next year. This is going to be one bad season this year.

Luc SkyBomba
July 9th, 2013, 10:14 AM

just wait til he gets the mysterious "bone bruise" injury for 6 months

ucsdguy1
July 9th, 2013, 05:23 PM
this year is going to suck. Get some goodwill. Bring back Eddie Jones for a year

LetTigerIn
July 9th, 2013, 05:54 PM
this year is going to suck. Get some goodwill. Bring back Eddie Jones for a year

Somewhere I've got a Lakers hat signed "EJ 25."

VEGASKING
July 10th, 2013, 03:45 AM
You guys will have to settle for Jordan Farmar instead. Maybe Sasha Sharapova Vujacic is next.

TooCool
July 10th, 2013, 09:43 AM
Bringing back the band. Farmar still looking to get out of his contract in Turkey. Get Odom back, and hell.. get Ariza.

SmytheKing
July 10th, 2013, 10:31 AM
Bringing back the band. Farmar still looking to get out of his contract in Turkey. Get Odom back, and hell.. get Ariza.

http://youtu.be/6vQpW9XRiyM

mrm55
July 10th, 2013, 10:40 AM

Is Gail Goodrich available?

ucsdguy1
July 10th, 2013, 12:54 PM
Bringing back the band.
Then trot Jones, Van Exel, Ceballos and Elden Campbell out there

alexisyque
July 10th, 2013, 02:52 PM
The Expendables: Lakers Editon

alexisyque
July 10th, 2013, 03:03 PM
BTW it ain't a party without Luke Walton!

VEGASKING
July 10th, 2013, 07:57 PM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/77de0605197d8248c84bed0c588802e6/tumblr_mi37x86Xjf1s1ulmko1_500.gif

ucsdguy1
July 11th, 2013, 10:26 AM
fire d'antoni!

http://www.latimes.com/includes/projects/img/lakers/bio_photos/coach_del_harris.jpg

TooCool
July 11th, 2013, 10:39 AM
Then trot Jones, Van Exel, Ceballos and Elden Campbell out there

That was my team growing up watching the Lakers. I even had stuffed animals named after them.

Nick Van Exel was a panda. Anthony Peeler was a little bunny. Eddie Jones was a bear. *Sniff* I miss them. Oh, and Vlade Divac was an elephant. I don't know why.

Luc SkyBomba
July 11th, 2013, 11:04 AM
Oh, and Vlade Divac was an elephant. I don't know why.

cause elephants have floppy ears!

Cross Traffic
July 11th, 2013, 11:35 AM
We need Big Game James and Clark Kent back!

SmytheKing
July 11th, 2013, 12:28 PM
Kobe Bryant: Most Selfless Team Leader Ever. (http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/kobe-bryant-does-not-want-pay-cut-help-125531553.html)

ucsdguy1
July 11th, 2013, 12:51 PM
That was my team growing up watching the Lakers. I even had stuffed animals named after them.

Nick Van Exel was a panda. Anthony Peeler was a little bunny. Eddie Jones was a bear. *Sniff* I miss them. Oh, and Vlade Divac was an elephant. I don't know why.
I still have not forgiven them for trading eddie jones.

Glen Rice wasn't worth it!!

SmytheKing
July 11th, 2013, 01:16 PM
https://twitter.com/Rickafox/status/354989337093480448

alexisyque
July 11th, 2013, 02:31 PM
Kobe Bryant: Most Selfless Team Leader Ever. (http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/kobe-bryant-does-not-want-pay-cut-help-125531553.html)
What a class act. I hate reading this ****. It makes my disdain for him just keep on growing

TooCool
July 11th, 2013, 03:57 PM
https://twitter.com/Rickafox/status/354989337093480448

Nice. Bring Rick Fox back out of retirement too then! He bleeds purple and gold anyway.

SmytheKing
July 11th, 2013, 03:58 PM
Nice. Bring Rick Fox back out of retirement too then! He bleeds purple and gold anyway.

...and you know he'll shut down Peja just for old times sake.

mrm55
July 11th, 2013, 05:03 PM
I couldn't believe he couldn't whip that punk Doug Christie's ass.

SmytheKing
July 11th, 2013, 05:04 PM
I couldn't believe he couldn't whip that punk Doug Christie's ass.

Dude, it was 2 on 1. His wife swings a mean purse.

ucsdguy1
July 11th, 2013, 06:09 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTtGfPJQf9k

mrm55
July 13th, 2013, 08:31 AM
MWP was a class act here in LA. He gives his only championship ring to charity. Then he gets booted off the team and this is what he said:

"It was an extra $24 million that was going to have to come from a family-owned business," World Peace said, referring to the approximate total of what it would cost the Lakers to pay his salary, plus luxury taxes in 2013-14, if they did not waive him.

"I'm really close with the [Buss] family, so I would not want the family-owned business to have to come out of pocket like that. So, I definitely supported the decision."

ucsdguy1
July 15th, 2013, 09:51 AM
His presence will be missed

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/47212_1547928734254_7182020_n.jpg

AngryKing
July 15th, 2013, 11:41 PM
I'm sure glad Sacre is still on the team :)

mrm55
July 17th, 2013, 02:45 PM
Interesting twist in the new CB agreement allows us, next year, to waive Nash and not thave his $10,000,000 salary count against the Cap.

"...The new collective bargaining agreement would allow the Lakers to waive Nash in the final year of his contract and "stretch" that $9.7 million out over three years, meaning only $3.2 million would count against their 2014-15 salary cap."

VEGASKING
July 17th, 2013, 11:27 PM
But that article says they can still probably afford two max deals even if they didn't waive him. Of course that wrongly assumes Kobe would be willing to take a 50% or more pay cut and play for 10 or 15 million per.

Kobe, Lebron, Melo oh my.