PDA

View Full Version : Official 2013 MLS Season Thread

ucsdguy1
January 2nd, 2013, 05:59 PM
Away we go...

Galaxy just signed Carlo Cudicini from Tottenham. File that under "huh".

Best of luck in the future Josh Saunders..

Dawdler
January 2nd, 2013, 08:58 PM
Away we go...

Galaxy just signed Carlo Cudicini from Tottenham. File that under "huh".

Best of luck in the future Josh Saunders..

Carlo is still a better keeper then Saunders is at this point and I don't think this is the end of Saunders just yet, GK competition is a good thing.

you did forget to mention the best thing to look forward to this season (not Galaxy related) is no more Rafa "Douchebag" Marquez in MLS :cheer:

Dawdler
January 2nd, 2013, 09:03 PM
oops my bad looks like Saunders is gone
SoccerByIves (http://http://www.soccerbyives.net/2013/01/mls-ticker-galaxy-sign-hesmer-arguez-heading-to-minnesota-and-more.html)

ucsdguy1
January 3rd, 2013, 12:45 PM
heard yesterday that Saunders may have signed with Puerto Rico Islanders but no confirmation.

rumors were also heating up with LA going hard after Frank Lampard, but now Inter Milan in on him as well as big push from Chelsea fans. Seems less than likely.

VEGASKING
January 4th, 2013, 12:16 AM
Saunders sucks and is out of contract. Cudicini has been riding the pine for years but is worth a shot. Hesmer has been a pretty good keeper. Just saw this.

The LA Galaxy traded forward Edson Buddle to the Colorado Rapids in exchange for a first-round supplemental draft pick in 2013 and allocation money.

He certainly was not very good this time around.

Dawdler
January 5th, 2013, 03:52 AM
Keano Re-Ups for another 2 years (http://www.football365.com/news/21554/8381043/Robbie-Keane-rules-out-return-to-England-after-QPR-linked-with-loan-deal)

ucsdguy1
January 5th, 2013, 05:30 PM
Love it. My man crush grows bigger every day...

ucsdguy1
January 6th, 2013, 12:13 PM
AJ and Omar called up to US camp this month..

LetTigerIn
January 7th, 2013, 11:10 AM
Keano Re-Ups for another 2 years (http://www.football365.com/news/21554/8381043/Robbie-Keane-rules-out-return-to-England-after-QPR-linked-with-loan-deal)

Keano! There's only one Keano!

KHenry14
January 7th, 2013, 10:55 PM
I don't get it....Saunders wins TWO MLS cups in goal, almost a third, and he can't get a gig anywhere in MLS???? I mean, he's no Oliver Kahn or Petr Cech, but he's got to be better than a lot of the keepers in MLS. Which has me wondering if the answer is off the pitch???

ucsdguy1
January 16th, 2013, 04:00 PM
good news - Juninho signs permanent transfer multi-year to the G's

Juninho to return to the LA Galaxy in 2013 | LA Galaxy (http://www.lagalaxy.com/news/2013/01/juninho-return-la-galaxy-2013)

LetTigerIn
January 16th, 2013, 04:09 PM
good news - Juninho signs permanent transfer multi-year to the G's

Juninho to return to the LA Galaxy in 2013 | LA Galaxy (http://www.lagalaxy.com/news/2013/01/juninho-return-la-galaxy-2013)

YEAH!!!!! Now if he can just stay healthy.

AlexSeren
January 18th, 2013, 05:42 PM
Anybody excited about Lampard potentially joining the Galaxy?

LetTigerIn
January 18th, 2013, 05:51 PM
Anybody excited about Lampard potentially joining the Galaxy?

I don't want to think too hard on this until it looks more like it really might happen. Somebody is going to have to fill that DP spot, though.

ucsdguy1
January 20th, 2013, 11:51 PM
There was a goal.com article the other day that quoted an unnamed source saying it was about a done deal. Bruce Arena admitted this week they had talked to Lampard, but that was it. Ill believe it when I see it signed and dated.

ucsdguy1
January 21st, 2013, 12:37 PM
Also on LA Galaxy insider Bruce arena said he thinks Donovan will definitely play this year. They are just working in the return date.

Take that for whatever its worth.

ucsdguy1
March 3rd, 2013, 05:53 PM
I'd say an opening day hat trick from mike magee is a good start.

Nice opening win going into champions league play this week..

LetTigerIn
March 3rd, 2013, 06:10 PM
Glad that Keane scored as well.

ucsdguy1
March 4th, 2013, 05:22 PM
Glad that Keane scored as well.
I get the feeling Keane really likes playing with Magee. He seems to be in the right place at the right time, and was able to move without interrupting Keane's space so to speak. Keane also went out of his way to refer to Magee as "world class" after the game.

And of course, I base this on 1 game. :60smile:

LetTigerIn
March 4th, 2013, 06:04 PM
I get the feeling that Keane really enjoys playing with the Galaxy in general, and, I must admit, he continues to surprise me that way. I think there's always a question mark when players come from tougher leagues to play in the MLS on what their attitude will be, and Keane has been amazing. I think he is relishing his role as a team leader. Last season and this, he's proven to be a good captain when given the opportunity. He definitely has no problem communicating, yet despite his arm flailing and hilarious facial expressions, he also manages to maintain his humility. I'm really amazed by him.

Maybe he benefited from coming in at a time when Beckham had finally bought in, but when Keane calls Magee "world class," I feel like he is being sincere at the same time he is being strategic. Speaking of sincerity, I don' think it does take more than one game to figure out what Keane is thinking, because he doesn't appear to make any secret of it, and he'll provide feedback right away. The only reason it might take more than one game is for the viewer to realize that Keane means what he says. :)

I really like Magee right now, too. He just keeps getting better. When he first came to the Galaxy, I thought he was a disaster, but, to be fair, I didn't (and still don't ) know much about soccer, either. However, from a layman's standpoint, it seemed like I was always yelling at him from the stands for a giveaway or some other bonehead thing. Two qualities he always had though were a strong work ethic and a lack of fear. Maybe the lack of fear got him into trouble at times, but it is really paying off for him now (has been really now for 2+ seasons). I continue to see the time when Beckham was out with the Achilles injury as the major turning point for this franchise, and none moreso than Magee. I think two of his goals in the opener could be considered world class.

I completely agree also, about Keane and Magee playing well together in terms of space. One of the reasons I was so glad Keane scored was because I thought he was playing a great game and also really helping keep things organized out there. Also, Keane's goal made me think of Ba's goal for Chelsea on Saturday.

Sorry to go on so long, but Sunday's match is actually a lot more exciting to think about than it was to watch, since it was such a lopsided victory. Plus, I enjoy your soccer posts; I feel like I learn more by reading them.

LetTigerIn
March 4th, 2013, 06:04 PM
Also, new Cosmo looks weird.

ucsdguy1
March 4th, 2013, 06:11 PM
Saturday I watched tottenham beat arsenal, then the galaxy win 4-0, then went to a bar mitzvah where the mandatory attire was sports jerseys and jeans.

it was a good day.

LetTigerIn
March 4th, 2013, 06:19 PM
Saturday I watched tottenham beat arsenal, then the galaxy win 4-0, then went to a bar mitzvah where the mandatory attire was sports jerseys and jeans.

it was a good day.

Magee is on fire?! Bale is on fire! Talk about a player that keeps getting better. The more he plays, the more blessed I feel for when Spurs came to HDC.

But the best part of that broadcast for me was watching Piers Morgan complain about Arsenal.

So, I had a similar Sunday, but instead of the Bar Mitzvah, I got a free movie screening.

ucsdguy1
March 7th, 2013, 03:00 PM
Galaxy at Herediano in champions league tonight.

I love Robbie Keane:

“You know what to expect,” said Galaxy captain Robbie Keane. “It's quite hostile and you can hear everything the fans are saying – luckily, I don't understand Spanish, so it's quite easy for me.”

LetTigerIn
March 7th, 2013, 06:15 PM
Bah. The live audio stream is not working. I'll be able to listen in Spanish on the way to the Kings game, though. Too bad I don't understand Spanish. Se la perdi?.

Dawdler
March 7th, 2013, 09:50 PM
what a blatant dive, but gomez hitting the post was sweet justice.

ucsdguy1
March 7th, 2013, 10:10 PM
Also, Magee's goal called offside?? He looked way onside...

LetTigerIn
March 8th, 2013, 11:11 AM
Also, Magee's goal called offside?? He looked way onside...

Dang. I actually remember this from the Spanish language broadcast. Did anyone else listen to that? I think Arena was pretty upset. Is that what happened?

ucsdguy1
March 8th, 2013, 12:51 PM
Dang. I actually remember this from the Spanish language broadcast. Did anyone else listen to that? I think Arena was pretty upset. Is that what happened?
highlights can be seen here:
http://www.lagalaxy.com/video/2013/03/07/ccl-highlights-herediano-vs-la-galaxy

the Magee goal called offside is at the 3:18 mark. (replay showing on/off at 3:40)

LetTigerIn
March 8th, 2013, 12:59 PM
Dang. Way onside is right. Wow.

ucsdguy1
March 11th, 2013, 09:32 AM
lame

“I got spit on about 30 times tonight, so I’m not too happy with that. But besides that, their fans were very pro-them, but anytime you’re getting spit on, you’re not going to leave happy,” said Magee. “I don’t want to sound like I’m whining, but spitting's disgusting. I’d rather somebody punch me than spit on me.”

LetTigerIn
March 11th, 2013, 11:40 AM
Maybe they realized Magee was on fire, so they were trying to extinguish it.

ucsdguy1
March 14th, 2013, 09:32 AM
Nice win last night. Villareal's shot was pretty sweet.

Galaxy get Monterrey in next round.

LetTigerIn
March 14th, 2013, 06:50 PM
I like the G's starting 11 last night. Is that the preferred lineup until Landon returns? And then?

ucsdguy1
March 15th, 2013, 09:35 AM
Probably or close to it. Keane seemed equally frustrated with Villareal at times, and also equally on par with his timing of runs. If anything Villareal's attack almost caused Magee to have to sit back a little bit. How they fit in Donovan will be interesting, with the Sarvas/Juninho midfield on a pretty good level and with Keane/Magee/Villareal all viable attacking options.

LetTigerIn
March 15th, 2013, 10:13 PM
After seeing the lesson of last Sunday's Manchester United v Chelsea match, I like the idea of keeping Sarvas in there. He fills the role that Mikel did for Chelsea in their second half comeback, hopefully with the same results: allowing the attacking players to feel free to go forward, knowing Sarvas will have their backs. Is that considered a holding mid? If not, what would that be called?

Regardless, last season I could see that Sarvas really filled in nicely for the loss of Birchy in this way (when he was used), but I never knew why until last weekend. That is a hard-working position to fill. Come to think of it, it may even be that the lack of such a player in our midfield for much of the season may have resulted in our defensive falloff?

Birchall used to be my favorite G, because he always seemed to be the guy to appear out of nowhere and stop the ball, and I was set to get a Marcelo shirt this season for those same reasons. However, I'll probably end up getting both a Marcelo and a Keane shirt this season. Maybe Juni, too.

ucsdguy1
March 18th, 2013, 09:32 AM
well that whole experience sure did suck

LetTigerIn
March 18th, 2013, 11:09 AM

Well, it was a beautiful afternoon, and a lovely day to be out. Other than that, I concur.

ucsdguy1
March 25th, 2013, 10:07 AM
Keane left an ireland qualifier with some kind of calf injury. No word on if, how long, he'll be out. Really hope that doesn't cause him to miss the upcoming champions league games with Monterrey..

LetTigerIn
March 26th, 2013, 09:54 AM
<== scrunching face into frustrated Keane look .

ucsdguy1
April 4th, 2013, 09:25 AM
well that whole experience sure did suck......again...

LetTigerIn
April 4th, 2013, 12:26 PM
Well, now we have our work cut out for us. Away goals are not a factor in CONCACAF, right?

Dawdler
April 4th, 2013, 08:41 PM
Well, now we have our work cut out for us. Away goals are not a factor in CONCACAF, right?

Away goal are a factor, the G's are in a big hole at this point.

LetTigerIn
April 4th, 2013, 11:01 PM
Away goal are a factor, the G's are in a big whole at this point.

Grrr. Okay, I was thinking of MLS playoffs, then. >:(

Frak.

ucsdguy1
April 5th, 2013, 02:51 PM
Frak.
indeed

ucsdguy1
April 19th, 2013, 02:07 PM
http://mlblogsdodgersphotog.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/lad12.jpg

Shaddy
April 19th, 2013, 04:24 PM
Anybody going to the Galaxy game tommorow? They are giving away Replica Championship rings!

ucsdguy1
April 19th, 2013, 04:45 PM
as of now I'm scheduled to be there

Shaddy
April 20th, 2013, 01:35 PM
http://gyazo.com/fd45141190da5596f78d19e13757098e.png?1366486478

Will look great next to my Kings ring.

LetTigerIn
April 20th, 2013, 03:47 PM
I'll be there!

ucsdguy1
April 22nd, 2013, 09:24 AM
I didn't end up making the game, but watched on tv.

That was the perfect combo of Keane "WTF teammates get me the ball in a better spot so I'll keep flailing my arms in the air", and Keane "you KC f*****s can't stop me, so don't even try"

oh, and Leonardo doesn't play, Franklin back in the defensive pairing spot and we dominate. hmm..

LetTigerIn
April 22nd, 2013, 05:29 PM
Keano should have scored a goal! That was a fun match to watch, though.

ucsdguy1
April 30th, 2013, 09:50 AM
hm

Manchester City owners set for MLS franchise - ESPN FC (http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1429886/manchester-city-owners-set-mls-franchise?cc=5901)

LetTigerIn
April 30th, 2013, 01:26 PM
hm

Manchester City owners set for MLS franchise - ESPN FC (http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1429886/manchester-city-owners-set-mls-franchise?cc=5901)

$100 million franchise fee + $340 million stadium?

ucsdguy1
April 30th, 2013, 02:17 PM
$100 million franchise fee + $340 million stadium?
pocket change for those guys

LetTigerIn
April 30th, 2013, 02:35 PM
pocket change for those guys

That I believe. I was just thinking that MLS must be doing fairly well, too.

KHenry14
May 3rd, 2013, 01:24 PM
Uh, I thought MLS and Garber were all about bringing the Cosmos back to NYC? The City move would preclude that.

BTW, FCB looked into partnering with MLS in South Florida a few years ago but backed out. But Euro's are definately interested in MLS

ucsdguy1
May 21st, 2013, 02:13 PM
here you go..

Man City, Yankees to co-own MLS franchise in New York - ESPN FC (http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1455830/man-city-yankees-co-own-mls-franchise-new-york?cc=5901)

LetTigerIn
May 21st, 2013, 04:13 PM
here you go..

Man City, Yankees to co-own MLS franchise in New York - ESPN FC (http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1455830/man-city-yankees-co-own-mls-franchise-new-york?cc=5901)

Only 3 comments, but 2 of them cracked me up.

They should build the stadium in Corona Park, and call the team the "Park Rangers." Then they could be the Queens Park Rangers.

These 2 clubs won't know what to do in a salary capped league.

LetTigerIn
May 25th, 2013, 04:14 PM
Thank you, Mike Magee. Good luck in Chicago.

Welcome, Robbie Rogers. I hope you are able to round into form and mesh with the team quickly.

ucsdguy1
May 27th, 2013, 09:39 AM
Will miss Magee in playoff time..

Nice romp of Seattle before halftime..

LetTigerIn
May 27th, 2013, 10:41 AM
I was bummed the Kings did not close it out yesterday, and the Galaxy match was welcome joy. My random takeaways from last night:

ACB sang "Magee is on fire" at 18'. FWIW, Magee is now really on Fire.

My friend is a huge Sean Franklin fan. I got her Franklin jersey for her birthday. She wore it to the game for the first time. I told her Franklin would score the first goal. I should say things like that more often. BTW, that was a nice play.

There's only one Keano!

I didn't realize how fast Greg Cochrane is until Eddie Johnson tried to play a through ball to himself and just run by Cochrane. I think Todd Dunivant is underappreciated, and, for some reason, though he's been a capable replacement previously, I gave Cochrane some extra scrutiny last night. Actually, I didn't have to, because he made himself conspicuous with his complete lack of touch on receiving the first diagonal, a cross into the front row, and a couple of shots that doubled the height of the crossbar. However, I thought he was great on the ground and recovering defensively.

I don't know what got into Shalrie Joseph, but he was letting the arms fly last night. Sarvas was not the only guy he whacked in the head, and he really earned that red card over the course of the entire game.

Zardes was pretty good.

The fireworks after the game were really, really good.

After a good night, all the more reason to be thankful on this Memorial Day.

ucsdguy1
May 29th, 2013, 11:28 AM
man alive on this lawsuit:

http://folfry.com/chivasusa/pdf/HELM-FinalChivasUSAComplaint052413-1.pdf

In explaining the actions, Chivas USA President, Jose David, informed
them that Chivas USA was going back to its Mexican roots – a sentiment echoed by Jorge Vergara,
who brazenly pronounced, “If you don’t speak Spanish, you can go work for the Galaxy.”

On or about November 13, 2012, Mr. Vergara – now the sole owner and
highest ranking senior executive at CHIVAS USA – called a mandatory meeting of all employees,
including plaintiff MR. CHRONOPOULOS. At the meeting, Mr. Vergara intentionally humiliated
all employees who were neither Mexican nor Latino. Mr. Vergara brazenly announced that all non-
Spanish speaking employees would be fired. He asked, publicly, for those employees who were able
to speak Spanish to raise their hands (he initially asked the question in Spanish and then repeated it
in English). He then asked employees who spoke English to raise their hands. After publicly
identifying those employees who did not speak Spanish, he announced that those employees who did
not speak Spanish would no longer be able to work at CHIVAS USA. As he further stated, “If you
don’t speak Spanish, you can go work for the Galaxy, unless you speak Chinese, which is not even a
language.”

CHIVAS USA’s Human Resources Manager, Cynthia Craig, who was in
attendance at the November 13th meeting, was visibly offended by his comments was overheard by
MR. CHRONOPOULOS and several other employees stating, in shock, “Oh boy. I can’t believe he
just said that.”

On March 7, 2013, MR. CALICHMAN and CHRONOPOULOS received
identical letters from CHIVAS USA President and Chief Business Officer, Jose David, notifying
them that their employment was being terminated effective the next day, March 8, 2013. Two
months had now elapsed since they had lodged their complaints of harassment and discrimination
with CHIVAS USA’s Human Resources Department. Although Mr. David, in his letter, asserted
that CHIVAS USA had been conducting an investigation into their complaints (he refers to it as the
“entire investigation process”), the letter is conspicuously silent as to whether the investigation had
been concluded or what the conclusions of the investigation were. Moreover, in further retaliation
for their complaints, Mr. David falsely and maliciously accused them of “demonstat[ing]
unprofessional conduct that created an unsafe work environment.” Underscoring the pretextual and
false nature of his accusations, Mr. David provided no explanation whatsoever as to how they
allegedly created an unsafe work environment.

long read, but man..

ucsdguy1
June 7th, 2013, 09:24 AM
major face palm

Giovani dos Santos gets offer to play for LA Galaxy, report says - ESPN FC (http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1469592/giovani-dos-santos-gets-offer-play-la-galaxy-report-says?cc=5901)

LetTigerIn
June 7th, 2013, 10:58 AM
I guess with Super Frankie Lampard no longer an option, they are eager to fill that DP spot. I doubt we will get dos Santos, but I'd be okay with that if it happened. However, I'd like to see Zardes get a chance to play and develop more alongside Keane.

Rather than dos Santos, it would be nice to get a good center back as a DP, someone with some size and experience, from whom Omar could learn. Plus, we seem to be lacking depth at the back in general much more than F or M. Is it even possible to find someone like this available?

ucsdguy1
June 7th, 2013, 12:28 PM
most likely not. I imagine they want their DP to be someone who can generate publicity as well as goals. But perhaps. Omar is the center back, until this summer when he's a free agent too!

LetTigerIn
June 7th, 2013, 12:34 PM
Do you think we can sign Omar without making him a DP? If they're going after dos Santos, G's seem to be thinking they either can or don't think Omar warrants the DP slot.

ucsdguy1
June 7th, 2013, 01:49 PM
possible, but it's all about coming up with the $$$

ucsdguy1
August 5th, 2013, 09:09 AM
text conversation seen this weekend:

person A: wasn't it just a year ago Dempsey was yearning to play for a champions league team?
person B: if that were still true, he would've come to the galaxy.

hiyo!

LetTigerIn
August 5th, 2013, 01:27 PM
my brain hurts

ucsdguy1
August 5th, 2013, 02:53 PM
Galaxy sign a goaltender

http://www.lagalaxy.com/news/2013/08/la-galaxy-sign-goalkeeper-jaime-penedo

I don't know much about him other than from the Gold Cup, but a couple of my friends who follow other leagues in concacaf are saying it's a fantastically awesome signing. Cudicini's days number?

LetTigerIn
August 5th, 2013, 03:35 PM
I wonder if Cudicini will be given the opportunity to keep the top spot, and how he will respond if he is given the chance.

LetTigerIn
August 12th, 2013, 08:34 AM
Hopefully those were not two critical points for the Galaxy. >:(

ucsdguy1
August 12th, 2013, 03:12 PM
Hopefully those were not two critical points for the Galaxy. >:(
I've said that like 6 times this year already

LetTigerIn
August 15th, 2013, 03:47 PM
LA Galaxy sign defender Omar Gonzalez to Designated Player contract | LA Galaxy (http://www.lagalaxy.com/news/2013/08/la-galaxy-sign-defender-omar-gonzalez-designated-player-contract)

LetTigerIn
August 15th, 2013, 04:11 PM
Chivas USA sued by former employee (http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/15/chivas-usa-sued-by-former-employee-again/)

A second lawsuit filed against Chivas USA.

ucsdguy1
August 15th, 2013, 05:23 PM
Chivas USA sued by former employee (http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/15/chivas-usa-sued-by-former-employee-again/)

A second lawsuit filed against Chivas USA.
geez

LetTigerIn
August 18th, 2013, 12:01 AM
Keano with the hat trick!

ucsdguy1
August 20th, 2013, 09:32 AM
Champions league up again tonight.

Of course if you're not going, it's on Fox Soccer Plus. Oh Joy.

LetTigerIn
August 20th, 2013, 10:57 AM
Well, Fox Soccer Plus makes sense, because obviously, Fox Soccer Channel must, must, must show a replay of an FA Cup match from last season. Huh?

I'm glad I'm going tonight.

ucsdguy1
August 21st, 2013, 09:24 AM
Didn't get to watch (home with the baby) as I don't get FSC Plus. But glad to see they won.

LetTigerIn
August 21st, 2013, 11:55 AM
Last night's CCL match was dominated in possession by the Galaxy en route to the eventual 2-0 victory. That's no surprise, as CS Cartagin?s bunkered down the entire match, frequently dropping 10 back with none as far forward as the center circle. Yet, despite Cartagin?s packing the defense, Galaxy still had plentiful chances.

I was a little surprised it was so lopsided, especially considering Arena's patchwork starting 11: Penedo, Franklin, Gonzales, Opare, Dunivant, Rogers, Sarvas, Mastroeni, Stephens, Villareal and Keane. It really goes to show the Galaxy's enviable depth. Mastroeni, I thought, looked very good. Stephens showed some deft touches early but made too many mistakes as the game wore on; his eventual replacement by Jimenez came a little too late, IMO. I'm not sure what to think about Opare yet. He seemed to look good, but wasn't really tested. Opare had a couple of opportunities to put some shots on frame but looked terrible trying to score. Rogers was very sharp dribbling and is seeming to connect more. It's too bad he was injured so early. His replacement, Zardes, continued to be a grab bag of promise in need of a little more seasoning.

Paolo Cardozo subbed in for Cartagin?s at one point and took a pretty good rip on goal. It was kind of cool to see him back on the pitch in Los Angeles.

Penedo looked good again but was hardly tested. That Arena started him Saturday and Tuesday back-to-back, especially considering the rest of the 11 seems to really close the door on Cudicini, if there was any doubt remaining.

ucsdguy1
August 21st, 2013, 11:57 AM
good. the only text I got from a buddy there was "we won 2-0. it should've been 8-0"

LetTigerIn
August 21st, 2013, 12:02 PM
good. the only text I got from a buddy there was "we won 2-0. it should've been 8-0"

That is about right, in a hyperbolic sort of way.

LetTigerIn
August 24th, 2013, 09:04 PM
Thank you, Jaime Penedo.

ucsdguy1
August 27th, 2013, 10:17 AM
NOT confirmed yet. but rumor going around

Landon Donovan to Sign Multi-Year Contract with L.A. Galaxy | Bleacher Report (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1751816-landon-donovan-to-sign-multi-year-contract-with-la-galaxy)

LetTigerIn
August 27th, 2013, 11:45 AM
I'd love to have Landon stay with the Galaxy. I will admit, I did spend many years silently hoping he would find a good situation overseas, but I think maybe that time has come and gone. Perhaps, two of the reasons it may have worked out that he has been able to expand his game still is that the MLS has been a challenging competitive league thanks to the the salary restrictions, and, while the competition has remained stiff, the talent level has really grown every year. In any case, it would be nice to see firsthand if Landon can maintain his high level of play as the league hopefully continues to become more and more challenging. Based on the intensity and desire for excellence he has shown in the past, I'd have to guess he is up to the task.

ucsdguy1
September 3rd, 2013, 05:21 PM
got to my first galaxy game in a few months saturday night. Nice a$$ kicking of san jose. Now please no one get hurt in upcoming world cup qualifiers..

LetTigerIn
September 6th, 2013, 11:48 AM
This morning, and several times this week, I heard a radio spot urging fans to come to StubHub Center to see Robbie Keane, Landon Donovan, Omar Gonzalez and the L.A. Galaxy take on Edson Buddle and the Colorado Rapids.

Well, they got 1 out of 4, anyway.

ucsdguy1
October 6th, 2013, 10:13 PM
Took my son to his first galaxy game today. Pretty good butt kicking of chivas usa for a first match..

alexisyque
October 11th, 2013, 03:03 PM
Took my son to his first galaxy game today. Pretty good butt kicking of chivas usa for a first match..
It was my first game too..and a shutout, even better!

ucsdguy1
October 14th, 2013, 11:42 AM
he he

Has Clint Dempsey Scored Yet? (http://www.hasclintdempseyscoredyet.com/)

KHenry14
October 14th, 2013, 06:02 PM
Insanity has come to MLS: http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2...-work/related/

Don Garber caving too that lunatic Sepp Blatter??? MLS will be destroyed by moving to a fall/winter schedule. First, and most importantly, weekends in the fall in the USA is American Football time, both college and the NFL. MLS going up against that juggernaut is insane. This is an issue that only the USA has, and for FIFA and MLS to be ignorant of it makes no sense whatsoever. I mean, who in Columbus will possibly consider going to a Crew game when the Buckeyes are playing across town?? Add in that the winters in North America tend to be harsher than in Europe, who will go to Fire, Union, Revs games outdoor in 20 degree weather? And what player wants to play in that? And 30 years ago the NASL went out of business in part because of a fall schedule. Learn the lesson. And finally, MLS is the fastest growing sport in the USA, why in the world screw with that?

I fully understand that MLS being out of sync with the FIFA schedule creates problems, but wouldn't a MLS that goes out of business create more?

ucsdguy1
October 14th, 2013, 06:06 PM
That link isn't working for me, but I saw the story today. The article I read earlier (which may be yours), had this nugget:

If this is true, it would be the single biggest change to MLS in recent history, with a 6-8 week winter break rumored to be placed throughout December and January as the logistical problems of having franchises in Toronto, Montreal, New England and Chicago and elsewhere in the North, can be somewhat averted.

They have to be insane.

Garber tweeted today that it's all just rumors. The amount of truth I don't know, but I can't quite believe it

LetTigerIn
October 17th, 2013, 01:12 PM
Last night was yet another reason to love Robbie Keane. I remember Donovan doing something similar before, and no matter how many times I see something similar in the future, it's impressive to witness a player with so much love for the game and so much dedication to both country and club.

I should have mentioned before, but I love that Dunivant captains the squad when Keane and Donovan are out. He deserves much more recognition than he receives.

However, my favorite moment of the game last night was probably after Opare scored his first MLS goal and lifted his shirt in celebration (to reveal a tribute to a deceased friend, it turns out, but I couldn't see that from my side). The referee approached Opare before play resumed, respectfully and sincerely shook his hand in congratulations for his first goal, and then… showed him the yellow card for celebration.

ucsdguy1
October 17th, 2013, 04:08 PM
funny, I was watching last night thinking "please don't get hurt, please don't get hurt". That game overall was so ugly. But the points were big, and sunday against san jose is massive.

LetTigerIn
October 17th, 2013, 04:31 PM
A match against San Jose is always intense, and a desperate San Jose is going to be that much more dangerous. Nervous just thinking about it.

alexisyque
October 18th, 2013, 09:28 AM
However, my favorite moment of the game last night was probably after Opare scored his first MLS goal and lifted his shirt in celebration (to reveal a tribute to a deceased friend, it turns out, but I couldn't see that from my side). The referee approached Opare before play resumed, respectfully and sincerely shook his hand in congratulations for his first goal, and then… showed him the yellow card for celebration.

I loved when they were interviewing him afterwards. He said it was the greatest yellow card of his life

LetTigerIn
October 21st, 2013, 02:16 PM
Playoff berth secured. Here are some of my random thoughts from the match:

- Wish we got all three points.

- Thought that we should have been awarded the penalty kick when Zardes went down at the end.

- I thought it was a really exciting match.

- Relieved Gordon was a non-factor.

- Cochrane looked better than he did early in the season.

- Glad to see that Rogers is back. He seemed to play well from the little I saw, but thought they could have used Courtois instead.

- Saw a sign on the way out that had Jaime Penedo as Superman. Pretty accurate this game.

- Now we need to beat Seattle to secure the 3 seed.

- It will be interesting to see who actually makes the trip to El Salvador.

Personal story now that mostly doesn't pertain to the match itself:

I actually won the bid for Courtois' shirt!!! I put in two bids, one for Franklin (for my friend), and the Courtois bid for myself, and was shocked one of them held up. So, we were standing on the field right in the right corner for the last 15 minutes or so. I was stoked to win this. I've really liked Courtois' play. He's on overdrive the whole time. I'm glad I got the chance to tell him what a spark I thought he was to the team.

After the match, got some video of Zardes, Leonardo, Franklin, Sarvas and Stephens. Leonardo wandered over and also wanted to sign my shirt, which was cool. I asked Franklin if he would visit my friend in the stands who is a huge Franklin fan; he did, and really made her day.

The funniest moment was talking to Stephens. I told him I always like to see a Bruin at midfield in a Galaxy shirt. He thanked me and immediately followed up with,"Did you see that last play? That should have been a penalty!!!" Along with the guy who won his shirt, we spent the next few minutes lamenting what should have been.

Following that, got an assist in a 4-2 victory in a hockey game to cap off a great night.

ucsdguy1
October 21st, 2013, 02:50 PM
I thought that should have been a penalty as well.

If I'm not mistaken, the game against seattle could possible be for who doesn't have to have a play-in match, no? I would laugh if dempsey got suspended for that kick he threw shown at halftime, but no way that happens.

No Juninho next sunday after accumulation of yellows. Ouch.

Arena saying Gonzalez coming out was just cramping, no injury. Sure hope he speaks the truth. Not having him or De La Garza in for playoffs does not strike me with utmost confidence.

Not so cool - a few mexican fans singing "you're not going to brazil" to Penedo.

LetTigerIn
October 21st, 2013, 03:19 PM
Looks like if we win at Seattle, we avoid the play-in, yes. RSL and Portland are 1 and 2 points above us, respectively, and each of them plays their final game this week... against Chivas USA! *sigh*

Colorado and Seattle are each 1 point behind us. Colorado plays at Vancouver on Sunday, kicks off 1 hour before Sounders v Galaxy.

ucsdguy1
October 21st, 2013, 03:23 PM
Man how Seattle has fallen. Let's hope that continues next week.

I don't see RSL losing to Chivas (Chivas won't go "america" style and help us in any way). Because our game is in seattle, I can see that game ending in a draw too. then you basically hope colorado either draws or loses and we at least get 3rd.

LA also has a champions league game thursday night. 3rd string!

ucsdguy1
October 23rd, 2013, 02:56 PM
as expected

MLS does not issue sanction to Clint Dempsey - ESPN FC (http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1592387/mls-does-not-issue-sanction-clint-dempsey?cc=5901)

ucsdguy1
October 25th, 2013, 10:46 AM
Nice 4-0 butt kicking by Metapan last night means the Galaxy will play Tijuana Xolos in next round of champions league. Oh boy....

LetTigerIn
October 25th, 2013, 01:03 PM
Nice 4-0 butt kicking by Metapan last night means the Galaxy will play Tijuana Xolos in next round of champions league. Oh boy....

On one hand, tough matchup.

On the other hand, Herculez Gomez returns to Home Depot StubHub Center.

ucsdguy1
October 25th, 2013, 03:02 PM
and on the other hand, roadtrip to tijuana..

ucsdguy1
November 4th, 2013, 12:27 PM
Nice 1-0 win in the first leg, but the Galaxy should've won that game by 3 or 4 goals.

Screamer from franklin

LetTigerIn
November 4th, 2013, 12:41 PM
Nice 1-0 win in the first leg, but the Galaxy should've won that game by 3 or 4 goals.

Screamer from franklin

There was absolutely nobody around that ball when it dropped for Franklin. He had plenty of time, and I don't think I've seen anyone kick the ball so hard. That really cracked me up, actually.

I hope the wasted chances don't come back to haunt them. RSL didn't put up much offense, but they looked dangerous when they did. Galaxy started out with a lot of energy. I hope they can have the same kind of energy on Thursday.

Also, I have to agree with whoever said that if the Galaxy had Penedo from the beginning of the season, the probably would have won the Supporters Shield. He came up big in this match as usual. This Rimando v Penedo matchup might be the best goalie matchup of the 2013 MLS postseason.

LetTigerIn
November 7th, 2013, 01:52 PM
Finally got around to watching the replay of Franklin's goal. Video doesn't do justice to how hard he kicked that.

Shaddy
November 7th, 2013, 10:17 PM
Galaxy didn't show up today. Good season all in all. Wish Magee would have still been here instead of RR

ucsdguy1
November 8th, 2013, 09:54 AM
Agreed. Man do they miss Magee.

Rogers, while moving, still looked horrible. And Zardes looked often like the game was just moving way too fast for him. Donovan and Keane but had chances that didn't materialize. Salt Lake played well enough to win, LA didn't.

Not winning a cup is a crappy way to end a season.

LetTigerIn
November 8th, 2013, 10:31 AM
Bleh.

eskymi
November 8th, 2013, 12:38 PM
As much as I love the Galaxy and wanted them to win....RLS was screwed on the disallowed goal...there was no pushing or shoving whatsoever, so they did end up winning the game as they probably would have anyway if that disallowed goal was allowed to stand.

Back to back titles ain't nothing to sneeze at. Hell 4 championships in 17 is pretty good.

ucsdguy1
November 8th, 2013, 03:41 PM
I thought it was an offside call on Borchers. And he looked offside. The whole "passive offside" rule is murky at best to decide. He was between the keeper and the ball and very close to both, so very well could be considered "involved in the play".

Of course if you try to follow taylor twellman it's hard to tell what the hell is going on.

ucsdguy1
November 15th, 2013, 12:38 PM
LA Galaxy sign midfielder Baggio Husidic | LA Galaxy (http://www.lagalaxy.com/news/2013/11/la-galaxy-sign-midfielder-baggio-husidic)

LetTigerIn
November 15th, 2013, 07:41 PM
LA Galaxy sign midfielder Baggio Husidic | LA Galaxy (http://www.lagalaxy.com/news/2013/11/la-galaxy-sign-midfielder-baggio-husidic)

Where/how will this guy fit in?

LetTigerIn
November 15th, 2013, 07:42 PM
Also forgot to post... this is good news...

LA Galaxy re-sign defender Todd Dunivant | LA Galaxy (http://www.lagalaxy.com/news/2013/11/la-galaxy-re-sign-defender-todd-dunivant)

LetTigerIn
November 19th, 2013, 06:40 PM
LA Galaxy to "look closely over next few weeks" whether to bring back Sean Franklin, Marcelo Sarvas | MLSsoccer.com (http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/11/18/la-galaxy-look-closely-over-next-few-weeks-whether-bring-back-sean-franklin-)

ucsdguy1
November 19th, 2013, 07:10 PM
LA Galaxy to "look closely over next few weeks" whether to bring back Sean Franklin, Marcelo Sarvas | MLSsoccer.com (http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/11/18/la-galaxy-look-closely-over-next-few-weeks-whether-bring-back-sean-franklin-)
I'd like them both back

KHenry14
November 20th, 2013, 05:40 PM
I'd like them both back

I'll pass on Franklin. Too many mistakes to trust .....his recent laserbeam goal notwithstanding

ucsdguy1
November 21st, 2013, 05:32 PM
this I can get behind

http://www.change.org/petitions/bringhomegato

ucsdguy1
November 25th, 2013, 05:58 PM
2014 schedule out

Major League Soccer reveals 2014 regular season schedule, with two-week break for World Cup | MLSsoccer.com (http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/11/25/major-league-soccer-reveals-2014-regular-season-schedule-two-week-break-worl)

LetTigerIn
December 6th, 2013, 07:19 PM
MLS Cup 2013: 17 reasons why this MLS Cup final will be one for the ages | MLSsoccer.com (http://www.mlssoccer.com/mlscup/2013/news/article/2013/12/05/mls-cup-2013-here-are-17-reasons-why-mls-cup-final-will-be-one-ages)

LetTigerIn
December 7th, 2013, 05:31 PM
Congratulations to Sporting KC.

Now only 3 months until the quest begins anew.

ucsdguy1
December 9th, 2013, 05:23 PM
Sean Franklin among the list of LA Galaxy players made available for 2013 MLS Re-Entry Process | LA Galaxy (http://www.lagalaxy.com/blog/beat/2013/12/09/sean-franklin-among-list-la-galaxy-players-made-available-2013-mls-re-entry-pro)

LetTigerIn
December 9th, 2013, 06:24 PM
Bah. I hope we can sign him back.

I never paid attention much to the re-entry before. Lots of big names out there.

LetTigerIn
December 10th, 2013, 02:27 PM
LA Galaxy midfielder Pablo Mastroeni to retire | LA Galaxy (http://www.lagalaxy.com/news/2013/12/la-galaxy-midfielder-pablo-mastroeni-retire)

ucsdguy1
December 10th, 2013, 09:56 PM
Chelsea’s Samuel Eto’o set for move to Major League Soccer | ProSoccerTalk (http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2013/12/10/chelseas-samuel-etoo-set-for-move-to-major-league-soccer/)

riiiight

Wanting a move to the US rather than Canada, it’s believed Eto’o will move to Los Angeles Galaxy, DC United and Club Deportivo Chivas USA, Seattle Sounders or Chicago Fire.

LetTigerIn
December 11th, 2013, 12:03 AM
Wha'a?

ucsdguy1
December 11th, 2013, 04:58 PM
I'd laugh if he ended up at chivas

LetTigerIn
December 13th, 2013, 01:50 AM
... and, Franklin gets picked by DC United...

Sean Franklin selected by D.C. United in Stage One of MLS Re-Entry Process | LA Galaxy (http://www.lagalaxy.com/news/2013/12/sean-franklin-selected-dc-united-stage-one-mls-re-entry-process)

Best wishes, Sean. Thank you for your time on the Galaxy. My seatmate is heartbroken you are leaving.

ucsdguy1
December 16th, 2013, 09:32 AM
somehow rumors started this weekend that LA, Chivas usa, and DC were potential landing spots for eddie johnson. at the town hall meeting at HDC yesterday, Chris Klein basically said it's a complete long shot for him coming to LA, but they are looking for some additional forward help. Otherwise it will be a pretty similar squad in 2014 (sans sean franklin)

take it for what you will.

I also enjoyed Landon saying he will not go on loan in 2014. And this quote: "I never say never but I will not be playing in Mexico. Except for playing in TJ to beat them." - Donovan on rumors linking him to Mexico.

LetTigerIn
December 16th, 2013, 09:53 AM
Landon really relishes beating Mexico.