PDA

View Full Version : Official 2014 MLS Season Thread

ucsdguy1
January 8th, 2014, 07:51 PM
Away we go.

Did I really just read that Toronto is on the verge of signing Jermaine Defoe and Michael Bradley within a week of each other?

The legend of Tim Leiweke lives on...

LetTigerIn
January 23rd, 2014, 10:07 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6VtbRZkCf4

ucsdguy1
January 30th, 2014, 08:02 AM
LA Galaxy announce USL PRO team LA Galaxy II | LA Galaxy (http://www.lagalaxy.com/news/2014/01/la-galaxy-announce-usl-pro-team-la-galaxy-ii)

LetTigerIn
January 30th, 2014, 05:57 PM
LA Galaxy sign Swedish midfielder Stefan Ishizaki | LA Galaxy (http://www.lagalaxy.com/news/2014/01/la-galaxy-sign-swedish-midfielder-stefan-ishizaki)

ucsdguy1
February 20th, 2014, 01:38 PM
and there you go

Major League Soccer purchases Chivas USA | MLSsoccer.com (http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/02/20/major-league-soccer-purchases-chivas-usa?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=News&utm_campaign=Unpaid)

LetTigerIn
February 20th, 2014, 01:52 PM
Your comment is perfect. Except for the lawsuit drama, it's like they didn't even exist last season. Even the SuperClasico completely lost its lustre, which is actually sad.

Cross Traffic
February 20th, 2014, 02:51 PM
Now move them to OC, the Galaxy are too far entrenched for another team to work at Stubhub Center.

KHenry14
February 20th, 2014, 05:35 PM
Goodbye and good riddance to Vegara. What a nightmare for the league he was.

I've always advocated for Chivas to partner with CSU Fullerton to get a stadium built like AEG partnered with CSUDH. But it's untenable for a franchise to stay at the Stub and always be in the Galaxy's shadow.

BTW, as part of the buyout MLS settled the lawsuits evidently.

ucsdguy1
February 21st, 2014, 01:46 PM
BTW, as part of the buyout MLS settled the lawsuits evidently.
Interesting I didn't hear that part.

KHenry14
February 21st, 2014, 08:09 PM
Interesting I didn't hear that part.

Ya gotta figure that the League knew that Vegara was liable and that he and CDUSA were eventually going to have to pay on the lawsuits. MLS probably just paid these guys so there is no outstanding liabilities which might hinder the sale.

Melfice
February 22nd, 2014, 01:27 PM
LA Galaxy announce USL PRO team LA Galaxy II | LA Galaxy (http://www.lagalaxy.com/news/2014/01/la-galaxy-announce-usl-pro-team-la-galaxy-ii)

Very nice! I hope soccer conts to grow in the USA. I'm really thinking about switching my season tickets from the Kings to the Galaxy instead. Don't get me wrong, I love my Kings and going to the games. But the cost is going up and up, and with that happening...watching games at home looks all that much better to me lol

Galaxy tickets are pretty cheap compared to the Kings...but their field is a bit far for me tho.

Ecktore
March 7th, 2014, 12:23 PM
Going to tomorrow's game courtesy of KROQ. Last Galaxy game I went to was back at the Rose Bowl. Cobi Jones is still playing, right?

ucsdguy1
March 10th, 2014, 09:40 PM
Well that first game sure did suck!

We should've been up 4-0 by halftime

JGON85
March 10th, 2014, 10:45 PM
Been a fan for about 9 years now since the stadium opened close to home and finally got hooked up on some free suite tickets courtesy of StubHub, for being a "superstar" rewards member of all the reasons. They really look after you, free food, drinks and great view (right at the midfield line).

Game could have been better, too many missed chances (especially the Keane missed penalty, and Keane's bounce of the post) but the team looked solid and built for another championship run.

Great experience before the game drinking amongst the ACB faithful, still wonder why there is not as much cross-promotion between the Galaxy and the Kings, seems like the fans would fit the same demographic. The Galaxy have hosted a Dodgers night, so it seems odd that the Kings haven't dipped their toes into those waters..

LGK night at a Galaxy game would be tits :101smile:

LetTigerIn
March 11th, 2014, 05:48 AM
There was an ACB night at a Kings game, and the ACB drove the Kings fans crazy with their singing for the most part. I loved it, both for the singing and the reaction. Haha. Next we need a Riot Squad night at the Stapler.

Are there some members mutual to the ACB and Royal Army?

There has been other team cross promotion. Cozmo was at the Kings vs Habs game recently, and Jay Flats often hosts the Galaxy intermission, for example. I agree that more would be nice.

The penalty kick encapsulated the night perfectly.

ucsdguy1
March 11th, 2014, 02:17 PM
Cozmo almost crashed his bike into my car outside staples center a couple years ago (the REAL cozmo, not this weird black thing they parade around nowadays).

He was legit though and at least stopped to take a picture after seeing the galaxy license plate on my car.

LetTigerIn
March 11th, 2014, 02:34 PM
Glad I'm not the only one who thinks Cozmo's appearance was changed for the worse. Didn't really like the look before, necessarily, but the new look is terrifying.

ucsdguy1
March 11th, 2014, 02:36 PM
The old one at least made me chuckle (and he loved the "you stole christmas" chants). This one is just bizarre and ugly

ucsdguy1
March 16th, 2014, 03:08 PM
Defoe scores twice for Toronto in his first game. Leiweke!

ucsdguy1
April 7th, 2014, 09:51 PM
Nice butt whoopin of chivas USA Sunday. That diamond midfield shape bruce is trying seemed to have a good day.

I loved Robbie Keane's quite in the daytime weather: "if this were Ireland it's be hell on earth"

Ecktore
April 8th, 2014, 11:05 AM
Manchester United just announced they'll be playing the LA Galaxy at the Rose Bowl on July 23

theScore (http://beta.thescore.com/news/474924)

ucsdguy1
April 9th, 2014, 08:34 AM
it was announced a while ago in england, but the Galaxy made it official. I wish it was at the HDC but I get the population totals that clamor for high end european teams even in meaningless games.

Hooray bonus tickets!

LetTigerIn
April 9th, 2014, 08:50 AM
If they give me the same seats I had for the Real Madrid game in 2010 (dang, that long ago?), I'll be very happy.

ucsdguy1
April 9th, 2014, 09:06 AM
I went to the Man U/Club America game at the coliseum years ago...that was actually a lot of fun, mostly because I love seeing Mexican teams lose. But there were a good number of Enlish ex-pats around that were good for some laughs

ucsdguy1
April 13th, 2014, 12:01 PM
Beautiful pass from mishihiyimeyshizaki last night

LetTigerIn
April 13th, 2014, 12:18 PM
I'll be wearing my Ishizaki shirt to the next homestand. Whenever that is. Weird schedule.

Dawdler
April 13th, 2014, 12:34 PM
Beautiful pass from mishihiyimeyshizaki last night

I think you mean Beckazaki :victory:

ucsdguy1
April 14th, 2014, 09:17 AM
I'll be wearing my Ishizaki shirt to the next homestand. Whenever that is. Weird schedule.
seriously...like 6 weeks from now?

ucsdguy1
April 17th, 2014, 01:12 PM
heh

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BlWwP2GCEAI01PP.jpg

LetTigerIn
May 21st, 2014, 12:56 PM
Of course G's have their first home game in ages on a weeknight(?!) when the Kings play! Looks like I'll be watching the first period at work, listening to the second in my car, and watching or listening to the third on my phone (and the Galaxy should kick off right about when the hockey game ends).

ucsdguy1
May 21st, 2014, 01:09 PM
I'll most definitely be taping the galaxy game and fast forwarding through later tonight.

ucsdguy1
May 22nd, 2014, 08:42 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/t1.0-9/1920265_650467908364326_3060037008722928105_n.jpg

LetTigerIn
May 22nd, 2014, 09:50 AM
Never saw illegal touching called inside the goal area before.

LetTigerIn
May 26th, 2014, 10:01 AM
The Goal King! LA Galaxy's Landon Donovan sets new MLS goal record | MLSsoccer.com (http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/05/25/goal-king-la-galaxys-landon-donovan-sets-new-mls-goal-record)

darby
June 2nd, 2014, 02:39 PM
NY City signs David Villa.

I know it's been rumored for a little bit now, but damn. And word is they're chasing Lampard?

Add that to the rumored four loans that may come from the big club system in Manchester and NYCFC looks like they're gonna come outta the gate swinging.

ucsdguy1
June 3rd, 2014, 08:58 AM
NY City signs David Villa.

I know it's been rumored for a little bit now, but damn. And word is they're chasing Lampard?

Add that to the rumored four loans that may come from the big club system in Manchester and NYCFC looks like they're gonna come outta the gate swinging.
That's a big get. I was quite surprised, but they don't seem to be messing around

ucsdguy1
July 14th, 2014, 10:01 AM
although it was only 1-0, for long stretches the galaxy looked a hell of a lot better this weekend than what I've seen over the past couple months. Hoping for a corner turn...

LetTigerIn
August 2nd, 2014, 05:34 PM
Another solid outing from the Galaxy today. Game was so much more lopsided than even the 3-1 score suggests.

I would not have guessed, especially with the paucity of clean sheets for the Galaxy this season, that they lead the league defensively. Having Omar back is only going to bolster that number, as the back four are nowhere near as good without him.

The great bonus for the day was having my Ishizaki and Sarvas shirts signed!

ucsdguy1
August 4th, 2014, 04:23 PM
if Zardes can keep scoring, they have a a nice trio of attack between he and Keane that is very hard to defend. Especially when Ishizaki and Juninho and running the midfield to fed them.

That run Keane made to score from Donovan's cross was fantastic.

ucsdguy1
August 7th, 2014, 09:03 AM
All sorts of rumors about Sacha Klejstan being signed by LA yesterday (wtf). And today comes this:

"@DougMacESPN: Hearing the new player the LA Galaxy will announce today is NOT Sacha Kljestan, and that it’s a much bigger name. Hmm..."

file under, believe it when I see it. and just when we seem to be really clicking..

ucsdguy1
August 7th, 2014, 10:02 AM
and more

“@DougMacESPN: I'm now told press conference called by Galaxy is concerning a player already on the team...”

LetTigerIn
August 7th, 2014, 11:35 AM
Must have been this, then…

LA Galaxy forward Landon Donovan to retire following the 2014 Season | LA Galaxy (http://www.lagalaxy.com/news/2014/08/la-galaxy-forward-landon-donovan-retire-following-2014-season)

CARSON, Calif. (Thursday, Aug. 7 2014) – LA Galaxy forward Landon Donovan announced today that he will retire from professional soccer following the 2014 season. Donovan, the most accomplished player in MLS and U.S. Men’s National Team history, will finish his career after 14 years in Major League Soccer.

Now I'm sure to get a LD shirt for this season.

ucsdguy1
August 7th, 2014, 12:37 PM
yep that was it

darby
August 7th, 2014, 03:41 PM
They're gonna need a new DP in the attack with comparable quality and recognition.

That's a big hole to fill.

LetTigerIn
August 11th, 2014, 02:05 PM
Galaxy reacquired Alan Gordon. I'm not sure how he'll perform for us, but at least he won't be scoring against us any more.

LA Galaxy acquire forward Alan Gordon | LA Galaxy (http://www.lagalaxy.com/news/2014/08/la-galaxy-acquire-forward-alan-gordon)

ucsdguy1
August 21st, 2014, 11:59 AM
Alan freaking Gordon

ucsdguy1
August 27th, 2014, 01:18 PM
yikes

Expectant father A.J. DeLaGarza facing toughest fight of his life | LA Galaxy (http://www.lagalaxy.com/news/2014/08/expectant-father-aj-delagarza-facing-toughest-fight-his-life)

LetTigerIn
August 27th, 2014, 03:19 PM
yikes

Expectant father A.J. DeLaGarza facing toughest fight of his life | LA Galaxy (http://www.lagalaxy.com/news/2014/08/expectant-father-aj-delagarza-facing-toughest-fight-his-life)

Wow. I hope the operation goes well.

ucsdguy1
September 11th, 2014, 08:49 AM
The Galaxy obviously took a night off last night and still managed to tie montreal 2-2.

Zardes man, save some of this for the playoffs please.

KFI
September 13th, 2014, 06:29 AM
I am a self-pronounced playoff MLS fan. It's only interesting in the playoffs.

King Jeffrey
September 23rd, 2014, 09:05 AM
Go GALAXY...

ucsdguy1
October 5th, 2014, 02:30 PM
Keane just won't stop

LetTigerIn
October 12th, 2014, 08:14 PM
Looks like next week's Galaxy v Sounders match will determine the Supporter's Shield.

I'm really disappointed that Galaxy could not muster at least a point today against FC Dallas, as now the advantage goes to Sounders, and they can take the Supporter's Shield with a draw next week. Terrible.

I'm also disappointed that the tie-break rules have been changed to wins over goal differential. IMO, it's a lousy rule under soccer's points system, because having more wins also means you have double that amount in losses, so the more sensible tie-breaker is GD. Of course, this rule hurts the Galaxy in this situation, but it's not just because I'm a Galaxy fan that I think the rule is lousy; and to say that it's to fall in line with CONCACAF is hilarious.

Bottom line, though, is Galaxy need to show up for Landon's final regular season match, take all three points and the Supporter's Shield! FWIW, I'll be doing my part from the stands, which mainly exclusively consists of eating terrible food and singing (and supporting the announcer at introductions and Galaxy goals, of which I hope there are many).

ucsdguy1
October 13th, 2014, 03:44 PM
Looks like next week's Galaxy v Sounders match will determine the Supporter's Shield.

I'm really disappointed that Galaxy could not muster at least a point today against FC Dallas, as now the advantage goes to Sounders, and they can take the Supporter's Shield with a draw next week. Terrible.

yes although I did like donovan's quote that it's better to get the wake up call now than in the playoffs. I dont' mind them coming back to reality to prove they're not invincible, while still having a shot at the supporter's shield. They also had about 4 or 5 shots that easily could've gone in by Gordon or a couple other guys.

LetTigerIn
October 19th, 2014, 08:51 PM
That was an exciting match and a disappointing result. Winning in Seattle now without Omar is going to be tough.

I did snap some really nice shots of Landon, though.

ucsdguy1
October 27th, 2014, 01:33 PM
meh. eyes on the prize.

here we go again with salt lake

ucsdguy1
October 30th, 2014, 02:31 PM
http://www.espnfc.com/league-name/story/2118659/headline

LetTigerIn
November 1st, 2014, 05:20 PM
Galaxy playoffs kicking off!

JGON85
November 21st, 2014, 09:18 AM
Sunday roll call? Got my tix with the ACB, pregaming out on the lawn playing some beer pong (love that about SHC), see you there!

ucsdguy1
November 21st, 2014, 04:52 PM
rollin in. here's to hoping we get mls cup

Dawdler
November 21st, 2014, 09:49 PM
I'll be there in 238 can't wait.

Dawdler
November 30th, 2014, 09:43 PM
woohoo Galaxy win!!!! got my ticket for the MLS Cup, see you guys there!!

ucsdguy1
December 1st, 2014, 08:22 AM
I realize I strongly dislike clint dempsey when he's not playing for the US national team.

Gutsy eek out of 2-1. Keane and Donovan did not have anywhere close to their best games. (How did donovan not bury that breakaway). Crazy shot from Juninho

Glorious that the final will be in LA

Ice24
December 1st, 2014, 09:24 AM
woohoo Galaxy win!!!! got my ticket for the MLS Cup, see you guys there!!

Galaxy lose game and make the final, only in soccer! WTF and I like the Galaxy but the winner should make it to the final not the loser of the game.

ucsdguy1
December 1st, 2014, 04:59 PM
except it wasn't just one game. Home and away and the galaxy beat them 1-0 last week.

Sounds like you just don't like the away goal rule. And perhaps would've liked it to go to overtime and/or penalty kicks.

oh and

https://scontent-b-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/t31.0-8/10634068_10152399997682035_646301078953244090_o.jp g

Ice24
December 1st, 2014, 08:23 PM
except it wasn't just one game. Home and away and the galaxy beat them 1-0 last week.

Sounds like you just don't like the away goal rule. And perhaps would've liked it to go to overtime and/or penalty kicks.

oh and

https://scontent-b-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/t31.0-8/10634068_10152399997682035_646301078953244090_o.jp g

No penalty kicks, sudden death will make things more interesting. No 15 minute overtime and then switch for another 15 minutes. Time outs for players falling down holding their legs and balls that go out of bounds, time out. Referee hands the ball to the player. Best 2 out of 3 is good enough. Winner of the series by games is the winner, not goals against, goals away and goals home. Better record gets home field.

King Smokey
December 1st, 2014, 09:09 PM
I just was joking to my friends..... the galaxy LOSE a game, TIE on aggregate score, and WIN the series all at the same time. No wonder Americans hate soccer. Haha.

Section 232 row CC. Should be a great game.

LetTigerIn
December 2nd, 2014, 05:15 PM
No penalty kicks, sudden death will make things more interesting. No 15 minute overtime and then switch for another 15 minutes. Time outs for players falling down holding their legs and balls that go out of bounds, time out. Referee hands the ball to the player. Best 2 out of 3 is good enough. Winner of the series by games is the winner, not goals against, goals away and goals home. Better record gets home field.

Golden goal sucks. Playing to full time is better. Away goals is a fine tiebreaker. Three games would be ridiculous. Would take a month to complete a single playoff round.

Ice24
December 3rd, 2014, 09:16 AM
Golden goal sucks. Playing to full time is better. Away goals is a fine tiebreaker. Three games would be ridiculous. Would take a month to complete a single playoff round.

Every four days a game. Substitutions during the game in which a player can come back. 12 days to complete a round. I would guarantee more Americans would watch with these games with these rules. No one wants to see a championship game settled by penalty kicks. There is a reason the NHL does not do SO in the playoffs.

Sudden Death would have all the fans at the edge of their seats. Time does not start until the ball is in play is a great rule, the players can stall all they want but the game will be stopped until the ball is back in play. No extra time! The game would be a lot more exciting for Americans!

LetTigerIn
December 3rd, 2014, 09:40 AM
Every four days a game. Substitutions during the game in which a player can come back. 12 days to complete a round. I would guarantee more Americans would watch with these games with these rules. No one wants to see a championship game settled by penalty kicks. There is a reason the NHL does not do SO in the playoffs.

Sudden Death would have all the fans at the edge of their seats. Time does not start until the ball is in play is a great rule, the players can stall all they want but the game will be stopped until the ball is back in play. No extra time! The game would be a lot more exciting for Americans!

I don't think any rule changes are necessarily going to bring considerably more Americans the sport!

JGON85
December 4th, 2014, 11:11 PM
Argh!! Procrastination strikes again.. all the GA, ACB tickets are sold out and now it's looking like $120 won't even get me in the door.

Hoping day of game, prices will drop to normal or below and swoop in on stubhub but who knows.

Anyone looking to get a brew, a group of friends and I we'll be tailgating with the ACB, I'll with the dark blue LA hat with the American flag print (looks better in person aha) we might bring out the beer bong again but damn it'll be really early

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kings Provisional
December 7th, 2014, 03:10 PM
Good to see Robbie get the winner and the MVP, even better to see Donovan go out a champion!

Dawdler
December 7th, 2014, 07:35 PM
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii213/Mashiasu/DSC00525.jpg

Ice24
December 8th, 2014, 07:38 AM
I have to admit I watched the game but did play mini hockey with my kid during the first OT. We came back to see the second of overtimes. If it was sudden death, I would have not gone into another room.

ucsdguy1
January 7th, 2015, 11:30 AM
okay yes the galaxy signed steven gerrard.

But they also re-signed alan gordon!!!!