PDA

View Full Version : LA Galaxy vs Xolos - CCL first leg

JGON85
March 12th, 2014, 11:14 AM
LA GALAXY VS CLUB TIJUANA
Wednesday, March 12th, 2014
StubHub Center
Kick-off: 7:00 p.m

On Wednesday night the LA Galaxy will host Club Tijuana in the first leg of CONCACAF Champions League quarterfinals. The Galaxy and Xolos come into Wednesday night’s game with completely different momentum, with the Galaxy losing this weekend and Tijuana defeating Chivas at home.With the Galaxy just beginning MLS competition this past weekend, there is no doubt that game fitness will be in Tijuana’s favor, as Liga MX is ten games into its season. While the Galaxy started off the local competition on the wrong foot at home against Real Salt Lake, Tijuana is not the powerful team it was in 2011 when they won the Liga MX championship. This season, Xolos have a 4-4-2 record, losing two out of their last four games. Perhaps Tijuana’s most impressive run was going 17 games unbeaten at home, a streak that was snapped after losing to Chiapas 3-0 a couple of weeks ago.

ucsdguy1
March 12th, 2014, 02:55 PM
I regret that I can't make the game tonight. It should be fun. I hear Tijuana is busing in quite a few fans for the game.

And darn game is on Fox Soccer Plus so I can't tape it in english either.

ucsdguy1
March 12th, 2014, 09:03 PM
phew!

LetTigerIn
March 12th, 2014, 10:45 PM
Phew is right. Man, the one that Penedo had to slap off the line! I didn't see until getting home and watching the highlights that it came off Omar. Also, Marcelo blocking that header off the line was huge.

Now, I'm really glad we moved the DC game. Let's make this thing stand up and get into the semi-finals again!

Dawdler
March 13th, 2014, 12:06 AM
went to the game and boy did the Galaxy fans not show up, it was 80 percent Xolo fans and it was disappointing, Penedo stood on his head and I'm not confident with the Gs having to go to TJ with only a one goal lead, would have preferred an extra goal

Ecktore
March 13th, 2014, 07:39 AM
So this game against Tijuana is not an MLS game.... If you're a Galaxy Season ticket holder, is this included? Or is the Season Ticket only MLS games?

LetTigerIn
March 13th, 2014, 08:22 AM
It was the first leg of a CONCACAF Champions League quarterfinal. Season ticket holders get up to 4 bonus games per year, and this was one of those, so was included in season tickets.

Ecktore
March 13th, 2014, 08:37 AM
Good on them for including the extra games.

LetTigerIn
March 13th, 2014, 08:51 AM
went to the game and boy did the Galaxy fans not show up, it was 80 percent Xolo fans and it was disappointing, Penedo stood on his head and I'm not confident with the Gs having to go to TJ with only a one goal lead, would have preferred an extra goal

An extra goal would have been nice, but the best thing was getting the clean sheet. All the pressure from Xolos came in the second half, so maybe the extra day off came into play for them? Tijuana also has 3 more matches on their season than the G's do.

Galaxy have moved their scheduled MLS match against DC United from Saturday to August 27, so they will be well rested for the second leg, and it looks like Tijuana are keeping their Liga MX match against Cruz Azul on Saturday. Hopefully, this works in the Galaxy's favor. It's not in the bag, that's for sure, but they have been playing well so far.

I also don't think the attendance was 80/20 Xolos, but the noise definitely was!

LetTigerIn
March 13th, 2014, 08:56 AM
Good on them for including the extra games.

I like having the extra games. Often, one of the games is a high-profile friendly. In the recent past, we've seen Real Madrid, Chelsea, Manchester City, Spurs and Manchester United. Sometimes (but seldom), they have had to count one of those as two bonus games. Fine with me.

JGON85
March 13th, 2014, 11:19 AM
The outcome is nice, but boy those extra goals come in handy when heading south of the border (see Galaxy vs Monterrey, 2013). Good on the Galaxy for keeping the clean sheet, and for the defense falling to the dreaded lob pass over their heads leading to a 1 vs 1 with the goalie.

Stood with the ACB the whole game, the numbers were small compared with TJ's supporters but I felt we made our presence felt throughout the game. Though some of the chants crossed the line in my opinion (especially the one about laying down like a TJ whore) but glad to see the "USA!! USA!! USA!!" chant come out at the end.

TJ fans were friendly for the most part, just a lot of banter back and forth on the way back to the car, nothing really hostile. Only weird part was seeing two ACB members nearly throw down over what I think was a flag waving dispute lol..

ucsdguy1
March 13th, 2014, 12:13 PM
That wide open header that Omar missed in the 67th is haunting me

LetTigerIn
March 18th, 2014, 08:59 PM
Why does Arena love Leonardo so much?

ucsdguy1
March 19th, 2014, 10:28 AM
Our defense in the first half was embarrassing.

Credit for not rolling over in the 2nd, but Tijuana just seemed better at ball control and skill whenever they absolutely needed to. I mean in the last 5-7 minutes, did the Galaxy really have any possession or attacking challenge at all?

That said the rolling over and playing dead, and constant complaining at any touch, was expected but still annoying.