PDA

View Full Version : Welp, I think it's official...

Krussadams
July 16th, 2014, 10:52 AM
...I'm done with MLB. I've been a fan ever since I was a kid. An Angels fan growing up in Long Beach, amid a sea of friends who were all Dodgers fans. Loving the days of Brian Downing, Rod Carew, Doug DeCinces, Bobby Grich (who I used to see around LB all the time in his little red Mercedes convertible), Bob Boone and so many others. Long suffering, long taunted...but always hung in there. Cried in 2002 when Erstad made that final catch and they win the title. Then came all the PED scandals across the league. That did a lot of damage to my opinion of MLB and its players, but I still had a soft spot for it. But after this last All-Star Game, I would seem that my opinion is now that they can go eff themselves.

On June 16th, a 15-time All Star, 8-time Batting Champion, 7-time Silver Slugger, 5-time Golden Glove winner and one of the best ambassadors of the game died at the too-young age of 54: Tony Gwynn. I went to the same high school Gwynn did (albeit well over a decade after), and he was virtually revered there - especially among the baseball players. Hell, the baseball field there is named The Gwynn Family Field (Gwynn insisted it be called that, and not Tony Gwynn Field, to pay homage to his brothers, mother and father as well). And for good reason. He wasn't just a good athlete, he was a good guy from a good family.

Yet, for some unknown, and nothing other than stupid reason - they completely ignore the man at the ASG. No tribute to one of their greatest players. Not only that, but not even a mention of him. Plenty of camera time and tribute to that juiced weasel Jeter, But nothing - NOTHING - for Gwynn...?!

Screw you MLB.

DRGinLBC
July 16th, 2014, 10:57 AM
All-star games are stupid anyway. In any sport.

mugs
July 16th, 2014, 10:58 AM
Have you seen the size of Trouts neck? :muscle: Waiting for the rage to kick in.

I agree with you. Fox did it's fans a disservice by not honoring Gwynn.

TooCool
July 16th, 2014, 11:19 AM
If Gwynn was a Yankee or Red Sox, they would be all over it. Unfortunately, he wasn't.

Fox definitely dropped the ball though. Seems like they only wanted it to be the Jeter show and nothing else. Hell, I was surprised they gave Trout the MVP. I was pretty much convinced that they already handed it to Jeter be default.

jccawdrey
July 16th, 2014, 05:41 PM
If Gwynn was a Yankee or Red Sox, they would be all over it. Unfortunately, he wasn't.

Fox definitely dropped the ball though. Seems like they only wanted it to be the Jeter show and nothing else. Hell, I was surprised they gave Trout the MVP. I was pretty much convinced that they already handed it to Jeter be default. Only if The Hockey News had some input. Then it automatically would go to someone of the other coast

mugs
July 17th, 2014, 05:57 AM
Fox and MLB statement on the exclusion of Gwynn.

Y! SPORTS (http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/fox-and-mlb-release-statement-on-exclusion-of-tony-gwynn-tribute-during-all-star-game-031640507.html)

Krussadams
July 17th, 2014, 12:36 PM
Fox and MLB statement on the exclusion of Gwynn.

Y! SPORTS (http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/fox-and-mlb-release-statement-on-exclusion-of-tony-gwynn-tribute-during-all-star-game-031640507.html)

Biggest load of CYA ever condensed into a single tweet.

job
November 6th, 2014, 02:49 PM
...I'm done with MLB.

Screw you MLB.

Heh. You'll be back.

jccawdrey
November 6th, 2014, 03:59 PM
Heh. You'll be back. I've been gone from MLB for almost 10 years now, when all the roid crap started. Nothing to do with NBA or the NFL for many moons now. Mostly because of the off field b.s. Don't miss any of them.

KingsFan1985
November 7th, 2014, 09:41 PM
Nothing to do with NBA or the NFL for many moons now. Mostly because of the off field b.s. Don't miss any of them.

Every sport has off field b.s. (Voynov anyone), but thankfully for the NHL and MLB they don't have a network that does nothing but report off field B.S. 24/7 like the NBA and NFL does. A certain network that starts with E and ends with an N.,