PDA

View Full Version : And we're puttin it on wax... it's the new vinyl thread!

Luc SkyBomba
October 23rd, 2014, 11:56 AM
did we lose the old one? I wanted to post the new Slipknot in it but couldn't find it...

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b343/diniguan33/P1080141.jpg

orpheus
October 23rd, 2014, 06:26 PM
I like vinyl threads since they allow me to enjoy vinyl collections vicariously. :resin:

rinkrat
October 25th, 2014, 06:42 AM
I just got a vintage amp and pre-amp and hooked up the turntable. It's 7 am and I'm going to a few garage sales to try and feed it. I think I may be having a midlife crisis.

Luc SkyBomba
October 25th, 2014, 09:24 AM
I just got a vintage amp and pre-amp and hooked up the turntable. It's 7 am and I'm going to a few garage sales to try and feed it. I think I may be having a midlife crisis.

not this sunday, but next sunday hit up the PCC swap meet. the top floor of the parking lot is pretty much all vinyl!

rinkrat
November 15th, 2014, 01:38 PM
Been hitting a few garage sales but not a lot out there. I'll get lucky eventually :)

Cross Traffic
December 5th, 2014, 08:51 PM
I've been looking at a budget turntable to start playing the few records I have picked up from the thrift stores (47c for a collection of Henry Mancini conducting Oscar winners, 95c for a Don Ho live album and 95c for a Doc Severinsen album from 72). From what I have read it sounds like the suitcase models are not a good option, the Audio Technica AT-LP60 seems to get rave reviews and for $100 seems reasonable.

http://www.amazon.com/Technica-AT-LP60-Automatic-Driven-Turntable/dp/B002GYTPAE/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t/181-1320955-9287565

Growing up we had a nice Sansui receiver, turntable and 4 speakers, quarter turn was enough to have the walls rumbling. Also had those HUGE headphones with the large phono jack connectors. Dad still has the speakers 40+ years later, the receiver sadly died a while back.

Cross Traffic
December 9th, 2014, 06:30 PM
https://scontent-b-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/t31.0-8/10623974_10204577701076423_2532008088283442669_o.j pg
https://scontent-a-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/t31.0-8/10460859_10204577701836442_4145890512489299385_o.j pg

Here is my new turntable, a mid 70s Montgomery Ward model with 8 track player built by BSR in the UK. Also came with two speakers, one of which doesn't output much sound unless I crank it up. The speakers connect via RCA connectors instead of the leads plugging into + and -. Not bad for $25 and seems to run very well.

Luc SkyBomba
December 10th, 2014, 10:18 AM
nice! i'm on the hunt for a vintage table for a friend. i told her, "whatever you do, do not buy a crosley!"

job
December 10th, 2014, 12:05 PM
Do NOT buy a cheap turntable...or more importantly needle. You will ruin your records.

Luc SkyBomba
January 16th, 2015, 04:14 PM
so my old roommate and I were having this discussion...

in High Fidelity fashion...

Top 5 Desert Island Vinyl Must Haves

1. Zeppelin IV
2. Rush - Moving Pictures
3. DSOTM
4. The Doors - LA Woman
5. Rolling Stones - Some Girls

my roommates list was:
1) GnR - Appetite
2) ACDC - Back in Black
3) Beatles - White Album
4) Stones - Sticky Fingers
5) Floyd - Dark Side or Wall

so what you guys got?

LetTigerIn
January 16th, 2015, 05:45 PM
Five is tough. I'll go with:

The Beatles - Rubber Soul
Madness - One Step Beyond
Paul Simon - One Trick Pony
The Knack - Get the Knack
Descendents - Milo Goes to College

SmytheKing
February 6th, 2015, 03:18 PM
Not a huge collector of Vinyl or anything, but wanted to drop in here to share with some people who might appreciate.

I've always enjoyed records as a novelty, but I've never had a large amount of them (not counting my parents collection from when I was a kid). Anyway, a friend of mine who is big into this stuff was talking with me and I passingly mentioned I wanted to start getting some of my own. I have some older ones sitting around that I figure I'd like (The Doors LA Woman, Fleetwood Mac Rumours, etc) but nothing I care much about since they weren't mine.

So, my birthday came around two months ago and I got a package in the mail. It was in the shape of a pizza box and I had no idea what it was. Well, my friend purchased a vinyl copy of one of my favorite albums of all-time for me (?g?tis Byrjun by Sigur Ros). Not only that, she found a copy that was an original print from 2001. Not only THAT, but she found one that was from a pressing of the first 400 ever made with an alternate version of the cover. I'm pretty damn excited about the whole thing really and it's probably going to start me off on another unhealthy obsession to seek out rare things.

I still have it wrapped up because, quite frankly, I'm afraid to take it out. Do any of you have suggestions on taking care of albums so they don't get damaged due to weather or wear? I really want to make sure this one stays safe and listenable for quite some time.

lunchbox
February 7th, 2015, 12:14 AM
that's a really awesome gift, one of my favorite albums. I have it in their "in a frozen sea" box set or whatever it's called (I'm super sleepy right now).
as far as care, I have a handful or more of first presses that I treasure and basically all I do is keep them on a shelf filed away with the others (alphabetically) in plastic sleeves to protect the jacket and keep dust out (as much as possible).

glad this thread is getting some action, I'll try and post my desert island 5 when I'm more awake.

Luc SkyBomba
February 7th, 2015, 10:16 AM
nice, i'd love to read more lists!

lunchbox
February 7th, 2015, 08:55 PM
btw. here's my set-up and how i store my records. this was taken in the fall so i've since added about 25 more LPs, i think. in addition, i got some dividers to better separate them alphabetically.

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s140/MsSkye79/Mobile%20Uploads/FullSizeRender_zpsda241215.jpg

these dividers:
http://turntablelab.com/products/record-supply-co-lp-dividers-10-units

and these sleeves:
http://www.amazon.com/100-Record-Outer-Sleeves-Polyethylene/dp/B000RA7IZS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1423371068&sr=8-1&keywords=3+mil+record+sleeves

and they work really well.

generally, just keep your records away from heat/sun and don't lay them on top of each other, keep them upright like mine are in my pic. (and don't handle them while drunk, like i sometimes do..........) and you will be fine.

oh and here's my up to date (before today's record shop visit) catalog:
https://deadformat.net/collection/avery

i bought a few new order and big band/jazz records at my local shop today.

lunchbox
February 9th, 2015, 05:03 PM
desert island must haves, in no particular order-

lucero - that much further west
the clash - london calling
elliott - false cathedrals
frank turner - love, ire & song
thrice - the illusion of safety
jets to brazil - orange rhyming dictionary
thursday - full collapse
fugazi - 13 songs
new order - substance

couldn't keep it to 5, sorry!

SmytheKing
September 29th, 2016, 08:52 AM
So, I'm bringing this thread back up there because there's a pretty god damn cool thing you can buy. I'm not sure if I should only post in here or not based on the limited amount of eyes, but damn is this cool.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ozmarecords/voyager-golden-record-40th-anniversary-edition

In 1977, NASA launched two spacecraft, Voyager I and II, on a grand tour of the solar system and beyond, into the mysteries of interstellar space. Mounted to each of these spacecraft is a stunning golden phonograph record, an interstellar message to introduce our civilization to extraterrestrials who might encounter the probes, perhaps billions of years from now.

The Voyager Golden Record contains the story of Earth expressed in sounds, images, and science: Earth's greatest music from myriad cultures and eras, from Bach and Beethoven to Blind Willie Johnson and Chuck Berry, Senegalese percussion to Solomon Island panpipes. Dozens of natural sounds of our planet -- birds, a train, a baby's cry -- are collaged into a lovely sound poem. There are spoken greetings in 55 human languages, and one whale language, and more than one hundred images encoded in analog that depict who, and what, we are.

But now for the first time in history, to celebrate Voyager's 40th anniversary next year, you'll be able to experience it for yourself the way it was meant to be played.

Also includes a book about the Voyager project as well as some other stuff. Really amazing thing. $108 after shipping, but totally worth it to me. Your mileage may vary.

jccawdrey
September 29th, 2016, 12:55 PM
It never fails, my wife and some of her friends will get a few glasses of vino in them, and here comes the vinyl. Billy Squire and Deep Purple always start it off. We must have over 500 + L.P.s starting from the early 60's. Good stuff

Luc SkyBomba
September 29th, 2016, 01:38 PM
I was helping my kid with her homework the other night, kind of, but also simultaneously spun a sweet new wave mix. I need to figure out how to record my tables. I got a newer receiver but it doesn't have tape out like my old one.

here's the tracks

tarzan boy - baltimora
rhythm of the night - debarge
love at first sight - kylie mf minogue
tenderness - general public
if you leave - orchestral maneouvers in the dark
a little respect - erasure
all night long - peter mf murphy
situation - yaz
church of the poison mind - culture club (this one actually didn't fit too well)
great commandment - camouflage
don't change - inxs
i go crazy - flesh for mf lulu
perfect kiss - new order
tom's diner - the remix version
true colors - cyndi lauper