PDA

View Full Version : Rock Band 4

KingInTheWest
March 8th, 2015, 03:30 AM
I have a slight obsession with Rock Band. After originally buying Rock Band 2 to play the imitation drums and a little imitation guitar, I tried all the imitation instruments in Rock Band 3 to get my fictional band as many fictional fans as possible, and I somehow became one of the finest imitation vocalists in all the land on the PS3.

Tragically, a day came when they stopped releasing new songs for Rock Band and all the imitation instruments vanished from stores. I kept playing for expert 100% scores for songs on vocals (closing in on 500 now), but one day I would have them all (possibly minus Bohemian Rhapsody and Good Vibrations), and my standards for songs to add can only fall so far.

But verily, the heavens parted and a light shone down, announcing that there would be a Rock Band 4, on the new generation of consoles (except for Nintendo). It will allegedly come out in the summer or the fall, and a PS4 shall finally be mine for that day (unless Uncharted 4 comes out first). I have no idea if it will succeed enough for there to be a continual stream of new songs, as Guitar Hero did such a good job of oversaturating the market and killing the genre for the casual player, but at the very least I will get a lot of fresh new songs. Sadly, there will be no more keyboards, but I can live with that.

Anyways, I am very excited at the prospect of random online bandmates once again forcing me to sing the same three mediocre Avenged Sevenfold songs over and over until I puke.

cheap
March 8th, 2015, 08:27 PM
The biggest issue with those games before was they released too many too quickly. That and there are a lot of additional costs that come with the game i.e. instruments and DLC. However, I'm super excited and can't wait. I'll be playing on PS4.

KingInTheWest
March 9th, 2015, 12:27 AM
The biggest issue with those games before was they released too many too quickly. That and there are a lot of additional costs that come with the game i.e. instruments and DLC. However, I'm super excited and can't wait. I'll be playing on PS4.

Yeah, the cost is definitely one of the biggest drawbacks. I think Rock Band is going about it the right way - creating a platform that you pay for one time and upgrade at your own pace - versus Guitar Hero, which sold an entirely new game every few months. The question is if they can get those casual players to buy in again for that one time, and how many new players who never had the games the first time around they can attract. I think they would be wise to make 6-10 free DLC downloads part of the package so new people can get their favorites as part of the deal.

The other issue is getting retailers to carry large imitation instruments that take up a considerable amount more shelf space than a Call Of Duty disc. That was apparently an issue when the genre started to decline.

I'm going to buy the whole band box and stick the instruments in the closet for when my current ones die. I am also going to buy four bass drum pedals. Those are the first things to go and I'm on my last pair.

What instrument(s) do you play?

cheap
March 10th, 2015, 03:29 PM
What instrument(s) do you play?

Good point about the retail space.

I play guitar in rockband mostly. I love guitar and play actual guitar too. My favorite instrument.

I can't sing to save my life.

LetTigerIn
March 10th, 2015, 04:56 PM
I'm going to buy the whole band box and stick the instruments in the closet for when my current ones die. I am also going to buy four bass drum pedals. Those are the first things to go and I'm on my last pair.

If you drum that much in Rock Band, you might still be able to find some real drum pedals that people have converted into pedals that can be used with the game. At the very least you could find directions on how to add a switch to a drum pedal to make a controller out of it. It's well worth it.

On another note, does anyone here play Rocksmith also?

cheap
March 10th, 2015, 09:17 PM
If you drum that much in Rock Band, you might still be able to find some real drum pedals that people have converted into pedals that can be used with the game. At the very least you could find directions on how to add a switch to a drum pedal to make a controller out of it. It's well worth it.

On another note, does anyone here play Rocksmith also?

I do. For me, it's a great game to learn new songs. I download a lot of free songs from customsforge. The free songs made by the community are what make the game worth it.

LetTigerIn
March 11th, 2015, 03:25 PM
I do. For me, it's a great game to learn new songs. I download a lot of free songs from customsforge. The free songs made by the community are what make the game worth it.

I've played on console previously, and didn't know about this. This just might ruin my whole life.

KingInTheWest
March 12th, 2015, 01:05 AM
Good point about the retail space.

I play guitar in rockband mostly. I love guitar and play actual guitar too. My favorite instrument.

I can't sing to save my life.

We'll have to play some songs when RB4 comes out.

I first tried to sing on Rock Band 2 and couldn't get four stars on Medium on My Worst Enemy, one of the easiest songs in the game. Chasing the goals for fans on RB3 made me try it again and as I worked my way up the difficulty levels, something clicked. I'm pretty sure I'm not very good in real life, but the game doesn't measure whatever component(s) it is that I am lacking at.

Guitar/bass I have gone from being helpless in the face of orange notes (Pinball Wizard helped start me at being able to get them) to playing very well on hard (and expert on easier songs). I just suck at endless chains of the same note, especially when they get fast.

Tiger - thanks for the tip on the pedals - if mine die before there are new ones, I will try that.

I have Rocksmith and a guitar I bought on an Amazon Black Friday sale, but I keep slacking on playing the game more. The way the game works seemed really smart and helpful but I always want to have lots of time budgeted to do it and end up just singing and playing the imitation guitar.

Dexter
March 23rd, 2015, 11:00 PM
Figures Activision would try to ruin Harmonix's fun.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/03/23/new-guitar-hero-reportedly-coming-to-ps4-xbox-one?utm_campaign=fbposts&utm_source=facebook

KingInTheWest
March 23rd, 2015, 11:42 PM
Awesome, now they can make a new $60 game every two months again and kill the genre a second time. Guitar Hero: Nickelback for the loss.

KingInTheWest
April 16th, 2015, 09:19 PM
So the new Guitar Hero is just guitar and features a different fret button configuration - instead of five buttons in a row, it has two rows of three buttons, which makes it more realistic in one direction without being as ridiculous as the 'pro' guitar from Rock Band 3. It actually seems like it might be a fun alternative (would have been better if they went with two rows of five), but this makes any plastic guitars already sitting in someone's closet useless and it means stores will have to use more shelf space to carry both types of plastic guitars, and I have shelf space as one of the biggest challenges to success, along with bundle price. Making a completely different plastic guitar makes it more difficult for both Guitar Hero and Rock Band.

And from what I've heard, it sounds like their setlist will be heavy on modern bands that have no energy to their music.

KingInTheWest
May 16th, 2015, 11:10 PM
First six songs were announced on Friday:

Avenged Sevenfold – "Hail to the King"
Fleetwood Mac – "You Make Loving Fun"
Jack White – "Lazaretto"
The Killers – "Somebody Told Me"
Spin Doctors – "Little Miss Can't Be Wrong"
The Who – "The Seeker"

Nothing too surprising - all bands they have used before, a decent spread of decades and rock genres, nothing particularly intolerable (until randoms I play with force me to sing Hail To The King 503 times). I would say they are running out of Who songs, but Substitute and Squeeze Box are still out there. Now give me Moonchild, Fire Woman, and Gypsy Road already.

The other big news, for me at least, is that all the old songs will have harmony versions, even the really old songs that did not have them before. Nothing was more annoying than the live version of Breaking The Law where I didn't actually get to sing "breaking the law, breaking the law" because Halford was not singing it himself. That part is kind of the whole point of the song. That and the music video where they rob a bank with their guitars.

Dexter
May 26th, 2015, 11:53 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGwPfTdZ8PA

KingInTheWest
June 15th, 2015, 11:36 PM
More songs announced in RB4:

Benjamin Booker - "Violent Shiver"
Elvis Presley - "Suspicious Minds"
Mark Ronson ft. Bruno Mars - "Uptown Funk"
Queens of the Stone Age - "My God Is the Sun"
Scandal - "The Warrior"

And four bonus songs with Amazon preorder (that presumably become DLC eventually):

Alabama Shakes ? "Don?t Wanna Fight"
Breaking Benjamin ? "Failure"
Death from Above 1979 ? "Trainwreck 1979"
The Pretty Reckless ? "Follow Me Down"

And they released an internet ad for the game that allegedly hints at some of the other bands featured in the game. I caught Earth Wind & Fire and the Scorpions. I will gladly take Rock You Like A Hurricane, but please don't be Rock You Like A Hurricane.

Dexter
June 17th, 2015, 06:07 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OEG3VVfMaQ

KingInTheWest
July 14th, 2015, 01:51 AM
A very nice set of new song announcements:

Aerosmith ? ?Toys in the Attic?
The Cure ? ?Friday I?m In Love?
Dream Theater ? ?Metropolis - Part 1: The Miracle And The Sleeper?
Foo Fighters ? ?The Feast and the Famine?
Judas Priest ? ?Halls Of Valhalla?
Live ? ?All Over You?
The Outfield ? ?Your Love?
Ozzy Osbourne ? ?Miracle Man?
Paramore ? ?Still Into You?
St. Vincent ? ?Birth In Reverse?
Van Morrison ? ?Brown Eyed Girl?

The best Dream Theater song? I know what I'm playing first, unless Moonchild or certain songs by bands I don't realistically expect to be chosen are in the game. Great Aerosmith song, good Ozzy song (hoped for Shot In the Dark though), good Live song, Priest, Foos, Brown Eyed Girl.

Three more months.

cheap
July 16th, 2015, 01:34 PM
The Outfield – “Your Love”

OH... My... GOD... I love that song!!!

KingInTheWest
August 3rd, 2015, 11:25 PM
A lot of new songs announced today to greet my return:

4 Non Blondes – "What’s Up?"
The Black Keys – "Fever"
Disturbed – "Prayer"
Duck & Cover – "Knock Em Down"
Eddie Japan – "Albert"
Fall Out Boy – "Centuries"
Halestorm – "I Miss The Misery"
Heart – "Kick It Out"
Heaven’s Basement – "I Am Electric"
Lightning Bolt – "Dream Genie"
Rick Derringer – "Rock and Roll, Hoochie Koo"
Rush – "A Passage To Bangkok"
Scorpions – "No One Like You"
Slydigs – "Light The Fuse"
Soul Remnants – "Dead Black (Heart of Ice)"
System of a Down – "Spiders"
White Denim – "At Night In Dreams"

Plenty of stuff I have never even heard of and one tune I wish I hadn't, but they did give me a good Scorpions song that wasn't Rock You Like A Hurricane. I do believe No One Like You has a nice little guitar solo. A bit disappointed in the Rush choice. Solid song, but there are probably at least 20 better options. I've been meaning to get into Halestorm.

My latest semi-realistic hope: Volbeat's Lola Montes

KingInTheWest
August 12th, 2015, 11:14 PM
If you preorder the game digitally from the PlayStation store, you get ten bonus songs:

All That Remains - "Divide"
Blitz Kids - "Run For Cover"
Bring Me the Horizon - "Throne"
Dead Sara - "Mona Lisa"
Duran Duran - "The Reflex"
Janis Joplin - "Move Over"
Of Mice & Men - "Would You Still Be There"
Oh Honey - "Sugar You"
Pantera - "Cowboys From Hell" (Live from Monsters in Moscow Festival)
Seasick Steve - "Summertime Boy"

What you cannot do is steal my band name before I get on for the first time with my physical copy. I was on RB3 at 1 PM the day the game came out and someone already had it.

All the songs will eventually be DLC (for sale), but the whole phenomenon of products (usually DVDs/BlueRays) with different sets of bonus features based on where you buy them is really annoying, especially in cases where you can't have everything eventually.

KingInTheWest
August 17th, 2015, 10:23 PM
On the one hand, Rock Band 4 announced all of one song today. One song.

On the other hand, that song is Panama.

http://www.ew.com/sites/default/files/i/2015/08/16/attachment-1.jpeg

And there will be additional VH songs for sale later on. Even though we know that jagoff Edward will not let them include anything with Sammy.

KingInTheWest
August 24th, 2015, 10:39 PM
On the one hand, Rock Band 4 announced ten songs today, after only announcing one last time.

On the other hand, all these songs together don't add up to Panama.

.38 Special ? "Caught Up In You"
Arctic Monkeys ? "Arabella"
The Both ? "Milwaukee"
Cake ? "Short Skirt/Long Jacket"
Little Big Town ? "Little White Church"
Lucius ? "Turn It Around"
The Mighty Mighty Bosstones ? "The Impression That I Get"
The Protomen ? "Light Up The Night"
Soundgarden ? "Superunknown"
Tijuana Sweetheart ? "Pistol Whipped"

50 songs down, 10-35 to go. Based on bands they really seem to like that haven't shown up yet, I would expect some Queen (please be Who Wants To Live Forever), Offspring, and Chili Peppers. Possibly some Iron Maiden (please be Moonchild), Green Day, and Bon Jovi. Based on possible clues in a promo video, there may be some Earth Wind & Fire and Imagine Dragons. I'm also expecting at least one more band that is on the Van Halen level. Could be Metallica (another band they were locked out of for a while due to the other game getting an exclusivity contract), could be a band like U2 who always have said no to these games (includes: Zep, Floyd, Springsteen).

Dexter
August 24th, 2015, 11:58 PM
Maps GOAT song.

King84
September 9th, 2015, 02:35 PM
I too I'am a Rock Band but. Besides NHL 16, I play this game the most. Hopefully we get more songs then the 50 but so far the setlist looks really good. Can't wait for RB4.

cheap
September 9th, 2015, 02:50 PM
.38 special - Caught up in You

Love that song! Happy it's in the game! Hopefully they will add some more good classic rock that you can just jam out on the guitar with.

LetTigerIn
September 10th, 2015, 09:40 AM
Only peripherally related, but I just got Rocksmith on PS4 for 50% off. It's a good deal for anyone wanting to transition to a real guitar. You'll need to buy a cable (and a guitar), though.

King84
September 13th, 2015, 11:42 PM
Can't believe we're getting the game in less then a month. Beginning of October is going to be sweet. New Rock Band and Kings hockey. Love Fall time.

KingInTheWest
September 14th, 2015, 11:20 PM
Only peripherally related, but I just got Rocksmith on PS4 for 50% off. It's a good deal for anyone wanting to transition to a real guitar. You'll need to buy a cable (and a guitar), though.

Where did you get it? I've been looking to get the PS4 version and get back into it. Amazon only seems to have the version with the cable, for $60.

KingInTheWest
September 14th, 2015, 11:29 PM
This is allegedly the final batch of songs. I am not impressed, but Mckayla and I can always play the 800 other songs I have.

Brad Paisley ft. Keith Urban - "Start a Band"
Brandi Carlile - "Mainstream Kid"
Dark Wheels - "V-Bomb"
Gary Clark Jr. - "Ain't Messin' Around"
Gin Blossoms - "Follow You Down"
Grouplove - "Tongue Tied"
Imagine Dragons - "I Bet My Life"
Jeff Allen ft. Noelle LeBlanc and Naoko Takamoto - "Recession"
Johnny Blazes and the Pretty Boys - "Cold Clear Light"
Lynyrd Skynyrd - "That Smell"
Mumbleford & Sons - "The Wolf"
REM - "The One I Love"
The Warning - "Free Falling"

LetTigerIn
September 15th, 2015, 05:20 AM
Where did you get it? I've been looking to get the PS4 version and get back into it. Amazon only seems to have the version with the cable, for $60.

From the PS Store. I should have mentioned it was for the download.

KingInTheWest
September 29th, 2015, 01:30 AM
Apparently the RB4 producers lied two weeks ago and there are two more songs on the RB4 disc. Both are by the same little Irish band, U2.

"I Will Follow"
"Cedarwood Road"

And there will be at least a few more DLC songs by them later.

KingInTheWest
October 6th, 2015, 11:53 PM
Picked up my giant box on the way home, popped the game in, downloaded a gig of updates, and was ready to go.

Vocals: They gave me a thin gold diamond for my arrow, when I really prefer my silver arrow from RB3. I have no idea what I am supposed to do for freestyle vocals. Remember when games had manuals? They took away the button to launch overdrive, which is extremely annoying. Hopefully that will be patched back in. The arrow seemed to jump away from the path, especially between words, and I missed some phrases because of it. I think maybe I was an octave off and the game thought I was going for freestyle vocals. I probably will just turn them off and try to figure them out later. I did about six or seven songs on hard and finished with Panama on expert, which I got 100% on the first time because David Lee Roth.

Guitar/Bass: I used the new guitar and went through all the packaging in search of a dongle before I remembered it works on Bluetooth. Then I had to figure out how to get the PS4 to read it. The fret buttons are a tiny bit stiffer, which is good, and they are a tiny bit rougher, so your fingers stick to them better, which is very good. I love the look of the new note gems, which really stand out, but did not see any hammer-on notes in the three songs I played, so I don't know how they look, but I did sometimes not realize a note was a hammer-on until it was too late on RB3 when the notes were white because of an overdrive pickup. The freestyle guitar solos are interesting to play but seem kind of pointless and they force you to jump back and forth with the lower set of fret buttons, which I never used in RB3 except to get one trophy. I may just turn the freestyle solos off too. Also, I kind of want to play what I hear in the actual song.

I did not try the drums yet and when I do, I will use my RB3 set and leave the new RB4 set in its boxes in a closet until the RB3 set dies.

I did one gig in the campaign mode and it worked pretty well, had to pick two songs out of separate lists of 16 songs each. Did well enough that I got double the cash and fans. I will need to compile some cash to give my guy a decent outfit. I also miss my billion fans from RB3. There were a lot fewer options than RB3 for creating characters, but the guy does look better in general.

Did not see any combined score leaderboards or band leaderboards. And of course you cannot play online yet.

Basically, the game mostly looks better, has new songs, and lets you play old songs on the PS4, but there are plenty of elements missing, some of which will be patched in over time. Hopefully all of it will be patched in over time. None of the new features have me dancing in the streets so far. It is worth getting to play the new songs, have new instruments if you need them, and support Harmonix so that new DLC songs keep rolling out, but some of the functionality is going to take time. I plan on playing through the campaign and racking up trophies while I wait for online (and hopefully my vocal overdrive activation button), but if I have people over I will probably go with RB3 for the time being just because I know it inside and out.

And Metropolis and No One Like You are awesome.

soyokaze
October 20th, 2015, 12:26 AM
Picked up my giant box on the way home, popped the game in, downloaded a gig of updates, and was ready to go.

Vocals: They gave me a thin gold diamond for my arrow, when I really prefer my silver arrow from RB3. I have no idea what I am supposed to do for freestyle vocals. Remember when games had manuals? They took away the button to launch overdrive, which is extremely annoying. Hopefully that will be patched back in. The arrow seemed to jump away from the path, especially between words, and I missed some phrases because of it. I think maybe I was an octave off and the game thought I was going for freestyle vocals. I probably will just turn them off and try to figure them out later. I did about six or seven songs on hard and finished with Panama on expert, which I got 100% on the first time because David Lee Roth.

Guitar/Bass: I used the new guitar and went through all the packaging in search of a dongle before I remembered it works on Bluetooth. Then I had to figure out how to get the PS4 to read it. The fret buttons are a tiny bit stiffer, which is good, and they are a tiny bit rougher, so your fingers stick to them better, which is very good. I love the look of the new note gems, which really stand out, but did not see any hammer-on notes in the three songs I played, so I don't know how they look, but I did sometimes not realize a note was a hammer-on until it was too late on RB3 when the notes were white because of an overdrive pickup. The freestyle guitar solos are interesting to play but seem kind of pointless and they force you to jump back and forth with the lower set of fret buttons, which I never used in RB3 except to get one trophy. I may just turn the freestyle solos off too. Also, I kind of want to play what I hear in the actual song.

I did not try the drums yet and when I do, I will use my RB3 set and leave the new RB4 set in its boxes in a closet until the RB3 set dies.

I did one gig in the campaign mode and it worked pretty well, had to pick two songs out of separate lists of 16 songs each. Did well enough that I got double the cash and fans. I will need to compile some cash to give my guy a decent outfit. I also miss my billion fans from RB3. There were a lot fewer options than RB3 for creating characters, but the guy does look better in general.

Did not see any combined score leaderboards or band leaderboards. And of course you cannot play online yet.

Basically, the game mostly looks better, has new songs, and lets you play old songs on the PS4, but there are plenty of elements missing, some of which will be patched in over time. Hopefully all of it will be patched in over time. None of the new features have me dancing in the streets so far. It is worth getting to play the new songs, have new instruments if you need them, and support Harmonix so that new DLC songs keep rolling out, but some of the functionality is going to take time. I plan on playing through the campaign and racking up trophies while I wait for online (and hopefully my vocal overdrive activation button), but if I have people over I will probably go with RB3 for the time being just because I know it inside and out.

And Metropolis and No One Like You are awesome.

Did you have any success porting over RB1,2,3 tracks onto RB4? Not sure where to go to port all those songs over.

KingInTheWest
October 20th, 2015, 01:05 AM
Did you have any success porting over RB1,2,3 tracks onto RB4? Not sure where to go to port all those songs over.

They still don't have any of the disc exports up, but almost all of the regular DLC songs are there now. If you go to the PS store or just choose 'get more songs' in the game to go to the in-game store, the songs you bought on the PS3 will be listed as 'free'. It is a bit of a hassle to pick them all, and I am doing it a few at a time because of it.

Putting the discs up is allegedly more difficult for them to do, but I also suspect they are saving those for last because there is no additional money to be made - regular DLC can be sold to people who haven't bought it yet. And in fact, there are certain DLC songs where the license to sell them ran out, but supposedly people who already bought those songs before it ran out will be able to download them for the PS4 - these songs have yet to show up either.

RB3 will probably be the last thing, because they have to negotiate being able to export the songs, as it has never been exported. A few songs might not make it over (which is what happened with RB2 and RB1), especially if that other game goes and signs any bands to exclusive deals.

Not having a button for the taps is really pissing me off because hitting my hand against the side of the mic or the mic into the side of my hand is an inexact science and one miss ruins my max score. I am not singing Free Bird all the way through (when RB3 is available), even though it is really easy, just to miss one of the 200+ taps at the end and cost myself 10,000+ points. Not to mention songs with fast sets of taps.

There is a patch coming this month that will allow you to set your other characters to be your backup band during quickplay, not just the career mode. Also a bunch of random bugs get fixed. The first big patch is scheduled for November or December and will hopefully add the online play. They had a poll a week or two ago so they know what the people want.

KingInTheWest
October 20th, 2015, 01:16 AM
Six new Aerosmith songs for sale this week:

- Seasons Of Wither
- Rats In The Cellar
- Dude Looks Like A Lady
- Love In An Elevator
- Eat The Rich
- Cryin'

I would have gone with Rag Doll and Janie's Got A Gun in the middle there, but mad props for Seasons Of Wither. It would have been so much fun to sing all that nonsense at the end of Rag Doll.

If there is a six-pack of Scorpions songs in the future, I will be very happy. Also if the promised Van Halen set miraculously has a couple songs from after 1984. And before 1998.

soyokaze
October 20th, 2015, 01:23 PM
They still don't have any of the disc exports up, but almost all of the regular DLC songs are there now. If you go to the PS store or just choose 'get more songs' in the game to go to the in-game store, the songs you bought on the PS3 will be listed as 'free'. It is a bit of a hassle to pick them all, and I am doing it a few at a time because of it.

Putting the discs up is allegedly more difficult for them to do, but I also suspect they are saving those for last because there is no additional money to be made - regular DLC can be sold to people who haven't bought it yet. And in fact, there are certain DLC songs where the license to sell them ran out, but supposedly people who already bought those songs before it ran out will be able to download them for the PS4 - these songs have yet to show up either.

RB3 will probably be the last thing, because they have to negotiate being able to export the songs, as it has never been exported. A few songs might not make it over (which is what happened with RB2 and RB1), especially if that other game goes and signs any bands to exclusive deals.

Not having a button for the taps is really pissing me off because hitting my hand against the side of the mic or the mic into the side of my hand is an inexact science and one miss ruins my max score. I am not singing Free Bird all the way through (when RB3 is available), even though it is really easy, just to miss one of the 200+ taps at the end and cost myself 10,000+ points. Not to mention songs with fast sets of taps.

There is a patch coming this month that will allow you to set your other characters to be your backup band during quickplay, not just the career mode. Also a bunch of random bugs get fixed. The first big patch is scheduled for November or December and will hopefully add the online play. They had a poll a week or two ago so they know what the people want.

Thanks, my friends and I were searching all over the place trying to find the Export key sections. This launch did not go as smoothly as originally thought. So many issues they should've fixed before official launch. But it's pretty much the common theme with games nowadays. Release garbage and patch the hell out of it.

KingInTheWest
October 20th, 2015, 10:49 PM
Thanks, my friends and I were searching all over the place trying to find the Export key sections. This launch did not go as smoothly as originally thought. So many issues they should've fixed before official launch. But it's pretty much the common theme with games nowadays. Release garbage and patch the hell out of it.

I think they were mostly concerned with beating the other game to the market and they did at least get the basics of the game to work, but they better have half their staff working on getting the online to work. Putting in the vocal buttons I need to go after max scores seems like an extremely easy thing to do, so that would be nice. If I don't have either of those by the time I have all the trophies I can get without online, then I'm probably mostly playing RB3 for max scores.

On the plus side, if weekly DLC is back with groups of six songs, that is pretty nice. It was down to only two or three a week the last few months before it went away a few years ago, and some weeks were just songs from RB Blitz I already owned.

And the talkie bug is not in RB4. They never ever fixed it in RB3.

The best part of games nowadays is that they leave stuff off of the disc so they can sell it to you for another $20 (or more).

soyokaze
October 21st, 2015, 12:44 AM
Kind of stinks when you have to navigate through a bunch of songs to find the ones you already purchased. Should at least be able to sort it in the store by purchased tracks.

I saw the Game play for GH Live and was unimpressed. They took out the most important parts... Like the rest of the band!

KingInTheWest
October 21st, 2015, 11:27 PM
Today it was announced that they are indeed working on getting the RB3 export to happen and it probably will be the first export to be made available for RB4. They said that they are trying to get it by December to go with the large patch. All the other discs (except the Beatles, which was never exportable) will be exportable sooner or later (minus the odd RB1 and RB2 songs that did not export to RB3), but you do need to have them exported to RB3 first.

RB Blitz apparently is exportable now. You have to play it on your PS3 and you will get a prompt to download the soundtrack (even though you probably already did that to RB3 long ago). Download it again (not sure if you have to, but I did), then go to your PS4 and boot it up. Select RB4 but don't start the game, bring up the screen that tells you what is going on with the game (high scores, friends playing, ...) and scroll to the bottom of the column that is the right side of the screen, to 'add-ons'. Click on that and the Blitz songs should be at the top of the list. Download them from there. I had my PS3 on the whole time, after I re-downloaded the soundtrack, but I don't know if it is necessary. Also, I had to start up Blitz twice before I got the download prompt (and I played RB4 in between). Huge hassle, but now I can sing Cult Of Personality.

Kind of stinks when you have to navigate through a bunch of songs to find the ones you already purchased. Should at least be able to sort it in the store by purchased tracks.

I saw the Game play for GH Live and was unimpressed. They took out the most important parts... Like the rest of the band!

Yeah, it is annoying downloading the songs you already got before. It is a little easier to find them in the in-game store because the PS store resets to the top of the list every time you download something.

I read a bunch of posts on the GameFaqs board for the other game and the majority of people seem to not like it. Taking out the other instruments is beyond lame, especially since I am a singer first, and it kills the cooperative aspect of the game. The 2x3 button layout is just gimmicky (needed to be at least 2x4 and preferably 2x5) and apparently it is messing up people's hands. But it is the microtransactions they worked into the system that I find really offensive. It sounds like you can't ever own a song, just buy tokens for plays if you want to pick something specific. And of course any songs you had from earlier games in that series you don't have.

Also, the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame can't believe how many bands that are not remotely rock got in.

RB4 is a mess in a lot of ways, but most of it will be fixed. I wouldn't blame people for waiting for the December patch to buy the game, but the career mode and trophies should give you enough to do until then. I am 2/3 of the way through the career mode (in terms of playing every show - I only have one tour left), doing it on expert vocals and choosing the fan-oriented tour every time. I might do it again on hard guitar, choosing the money-oriented tour every time.

KingInTheWest
October 28th, 2015, 12:06 AM
New songs for this week:

INXS - "What You Need"
Depeche Mode - "People Are People"
Naked Eyes - "Always Something There To Remind Me"

The mini-patch in a week or two that allows you to set your backup band for all modes of play and fixes various bugs will apparently also offer the button-activated overdrive for vocals that I need to get my top scores. Don't know if I get button-activated taps at the same time or if I have to wait on that.

They stop selling RB3 on October 30 (not sure if that is just online or in stores too), so if anyone doesn't have it and wants to be able to get the export to put those 83 songs into RB4 (a bargain even if RB3 is full price, plus the $15 export fee), better pick it up. Rainbow In The Dark, people.

King Smokey
November 13th, 2015, 11:01 AM
I have played every Rock Band and Guitar Hero game since day 1, except for Green Day. Never got that one.... The first 2 Guitar Heros were on PS2, and the rest on XBox 360.

We played Rock Band in my house a LOT. We had several parties and had a house full of people lining up to play. Those were the best!
I imported RB1 and RB2 in to my RB3, and I bought a metric ton of songs.

Now I'm on pS4, and I lost EVERYTHING because I you can't transfer your song ownership between consoles. I have already spent close to $100 on songs, mostly replacing songs that I already bought. I'm not very happy about that.

But I LOVE this game. I can play guitar and bass on expert, can only sing certain songs, and can play drums on expert for easier songs, and hard for the rest.

That being said, I like Rock Band 4. I wasn't sure about the songs to begin with, but I am really enjoying most of them. I have purchased a drum throne and a microphone stand when RB3 came out, and we are now getting some stage lights just to make the experience more fun. I would have purchased Guitar Hero just for the second guitar until I saw they weren't compatible.

I give the game a B+. Overall, there is a huge cost for this game, but if you ever wanted to play music without the actual ability to play music, there is no better. And I am learning to be a pretty good drummer. I can go to my friends house with a real drum kit and actually play some basic songs. All because of this game.

Is RB3 the only game I can get and import to RB4 on the PS4? I don't have a ps3 so that won't help...

KingInTheWest
November 26th, 2015, 12:28 AM
The November update fixed a lot of bugs and brought back the ability to activate overdrive and do taps on vocals with the controller, which means I can go for top scores once I get in the mood. I am still trying to do all the bonus sets in the career mode. Got all the trophies that don't require four people or getting a million points (which may require four people).

The December update will add some online competitive modes but apparently they are not putting the co-op back in yet, which is crap. The RB3 export is supposed to happen in December, with the other games exporting in early 2016. Hopefully they are working on a way for people who don't have those on their PS3 to buy the game soundtracks as packs of songs, because they are good ways to build a library and introduce some variety. I have 718 songs before the exports and a few DLC songs that still aren't set up for PS4.

My six newest songs are from this week's DLC:
Van Halen - And The Cradle Will Rock
Van Halen - Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Van Halen - Dance The Night Away
Van Halen - Hot For Teacher
Van Halen - Running With The Devil
Van Halen - Unchained

I can't begin to argue with any of these songs, which I was very happy to download, but it would be nice if Edward wasn't such a bag that the four albums after 1984 would still exist for him. Just because David Lee Roth can't sing Right Now doesn't mean that I shouldn't get the chance. Also, I need Everybody Wants Some.

Previous three weeks of DLC:
Walk The Moon - Shut Up And Dance
Vance Joy - Riptide
Ed Sheeran - Sing
Linkin Park - Lying From You
Godsmack - Awake
Audioslave - Like A Stone
Iggy Pop - Lust For Life
The Hollies - Long Cool Woman In A Black Dress
Robert Palmer - Bad Case Of Loving You

It looks like the pattern of DLC is three a week, but once a month there is a six-pack from a marquee band (Aerosmith and Van Halen so far, presumably U2 next month).

Guitars by themselves will go on sale soon, while Target is going to sell a band pack with red instruments for Black Friday.

KingInTheWest
November 27th, 2015, 09:49 PM
Guitar and game bundle on Amazon right now for the weekend, $99

cheap
November 29th, 2015, 06:58 PM
Have to say I like this game a lot more now that I know I can turn off the freestyle guitar solos. I hated those so much. They ruined the songs.

Bought the 6 pack of Def Leppard songs! Super excited!

King Smokey
December 8th, 2015, 02:25 PM
I got my cymbal set a few weeks ago. My life has never been the same. I am actually looking at getting one of the nice electronic drum kits that will work with rock band because now all I want to do is play drums.

KingInTheWest
December 12th, 2015, 04:16 PM
Have to say I like this game a lot more now that I know I can turn off the freestyle guitar solos. I hated those so much. They ruined the songs.

Bought the 6 pack of Def Leppard songs! Super excited!

Cool; they have lots of good 80s hard rock in the game. Hoping they put in another six Scorpions songs one week.

The December update added a few things, like more stats at the end of a song to inform you how you did and a little glowing circle around your multiplier to let you know you have a 100% combo going. You generally don't need that with an instrument, but it is possible to keep your combo while losing 100% on vocals if you get 99.6% of a line. I never want to get a 99% on a song with my high score, so I like it. If you do get 100%, on the score screen after the song is over, an amusingly cheesy voice will now announce "full combo".

They added a mode called 'Brutal Mode', which involves playing a song on expert and having the oncoming notes turn invisible after 20% - 60% of the way down the note highway. So not only do you have less time to process the notes, but you have to play on a delay - the time it takes the invisible notes to reach the bottom of the screen where you play them. If you do well enough to earn gold stars, you get crimson stars. I tried it once on vocals with Panama, a song I know very well that is relatively easy with thick vocal lines, and I came close to crimson stars but did not get them. It has to be even harder on an instrument, unless you pretty much have the part memorized or it is very repetitive, like the drum part to We Will Rock You.

The export for RB3 was just released - go to 'get more songs' and then scroll down to the bottom of the menu to find 'exports'. For $15, you get the 83 RB3 songs, assuming you played RB3. For some reason, after I downloaded them all, they did not show up in my game until the next day. The same thing happened with the last DLC I got. No idea why.

Recent DLC songs:

Symphony X - Nevermore
Between The Buried And Me - The Coma Machine
Opeth - Heir Apparent
Beck - Dreams
B0rns - Electric Love
Catfish And The Bottlemen - Cocoon
Cold War Kids - First
X Ambassadors - Renegades

Great to get some Symphony X in there.

KingInTheWest
January 16th, 2016, 11:45 PM
The RB1 export is active, so I was able to download the RB1 songs (minus a few that they couldn't relicense the first time) into RB4. Presumably RB2 is next, then Lego.

January update coming. They are going to remove some ways people were apparently cheating to get high scores and then clear the leaderboards, so it is a good thing I took a break and didn't start getting my 100% scores. They are also making it so scores from 'play a show' mode go into the leaderboards, so multiplier and overdrive carryover in that mode is being removed to allow the scores can match up equally. And there are will be a few new clothing items for characters inspired by the Psychonauts game.

They are working on adding practice modes and quickplay setlists. They want to add online multiplayer, but the programming is apparently difficult, so it is not coming first. They may add an online head-to-head score duel, but not a local one. RBN songs may come back one day.

They say keyboards and pro guitar will never return.

Recent DLC songs:

Elle King - Ex's And Oh's
The Weekend - Can't Feel My Face
Fall Out Boy - Irresistible
Walk The Moon - Different Colors
Shawn Mendes - Stitches
U2 - Sunday Bloody Sunday
U2 - Pride (In The Name Of Love)
U2 - Where The Streets Have No Name
U2 - Desire
U2 - One
U2 - Vertigo
U2 - California (There Is No End To Love)
U2 - The Miracle (Of Joey Ramone)
Coldplay - Adventure Of A Lifetime
One Direction - Drag Me Down
Weezer - Thank God For Girls
Justin Bieber - What Do You Mean
Ellie Goulding - On My Mind
Sam Hunt - Leave The Night On
Disturbed - Immortalized
Disturbed - The Vengeful One
Disturbed - Warrior
Temple Of The Dog - Hunger Strike
Soundgarden - My Wave
Stone Temple Pilots - Wicked Garden

Would have liked to see With Or Without You in the place of one of the two songs from the newest U2 album. No comment on a couple of the selections between the U2 and the Disturbed.