PDA

View Full Version : The Division

nocturn
February 5th, 2016, 09:34 AM
Anyone play the beta? Its going to be a killer game. Had fun with it. Already ordered.

Kingsfan626
February 5th, 2016, 11:02 AM
I played the beta and I'm less excited about the game than before. I'm hoping the rumor of a 2nd open beta in 2 weeks will change my mind. It was fun to play with the wife but there are too many dead zones where there's no action except for 1 or 2 low level thugs outside of the dark zone.

One other thing that bugged me was in the dark zone if someone shoots you and goes rogue and a group of people go after the rogue team if you friendly fire because the rogue agent keeps getting close to other people you eventually turn rogue yourself. After a couple of times that this happened we didn't know who to shoot anymore.

But it's finally great to play a UbiSoft game without starting off with how horrible the game is.

nocturn
February 5th, 2016, 11:19 AM
Its beta, not worried about content yet. The mechanics, physics and textures were amazing though. I wasn't too sure about the 3rd person shooter aspect but after a bit, it didn't bother me.

They're fine tuning things. I'm sure it will be up to snuff. The bones are all there.

edit: 45 thread views in 2 hours? lol! The viewbot overlords on lgk are real!

Kingsfan626
February 5th, 2016, 11:28 AM
Its beta, not worried about content yet. The mechanics, physics and textures were amazing though. I wasn't too sure about the 3rd person shooter aspect but after a bit, it didn't bother me.

They're fine tuning things. I'm sure it will be up to snuff. The bones are all there.

edit: 45 thread views in 2 hours? lol! The viewbot overlords on lgk are real!

The problem with this beta is there isn't enough content to determine how great it can be. I'm still going to play it and have 2 copies pre-ordered for PS4 for me and the wife and she loves it but I guess I'm bored with this game because it feels like Starwars Battlefront MMO because the shooting is hit or miss with no real skill required. I'm also comparing this game to Borderlands which was created with comedy in mind but with the same concept you could spend 100s of bullets to kill enemies but they knew exactly how to include headshots.

All of the enemies are running around like Michael Brown and I need more than the 5 shots to take them down.

nocturn
February 5th, 2016, 11:39 AM
The problem with this beta is there isn't enough content to determine how great it can be. I'm still going to play it and have 2 copies pre-ordered for PS4 for me and the wife and she loves it but I guess I'm bored with this game because it feels like Starwars Battlefront MMO because the shooting is hit or miss with no real skill required. I'm also comparing this game to Borderlands which was created with comedy in mind but with the same concept you could spend 100s of bullets to kill enemies but they knew exactly how to include headshots.

All of the enemies are running around like Michael Brown and I need more than the 5 shots to take them down.

Like I said, its just the beta. Its a bug finding exercise disguised as a teaser, nothing more nothing less.

Anyway, I think the recipe is there for a great game. I think the full release will reflect that. As *****ty a rep as Ubi has gotten over the past few years, I thing this game is headed in the right direction.

nocturn
February 5th, 2016, 12:13 PM
All that being said, the potential for this game being one dimensional is very high. I'd like to doubt that with as much R&D its gotten over the past 5+ years, but this is Ubi we're talking about.

Only time will tell.

TooCool
February 5th, 2016, 02:45 PM
I'll admit, it does look good but I'm not going to support Ubisoft at this time. It looks like they're going the dirtbag Destiny route (Activision and Bungie) where they're pretty much forcing you to buy the DLC and Expansion Packs or get locked out of certain events.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-division-getting-three-expansions-plus-free-up/1100-6434263/

Everyone who buys The Division's DLC pass will also get a sawed-off shotgun and a set of outfits and weapons skins. Additionally, DLC pass owners get access to "special monthly benefits including exclusive content drops and special events," though no further details were announced.

But if you are okay with the practices that Destiny did, then I'm sure you'll have zero problems with this one. Either way though, I'll wait to see what the reviews and general consensus of the gamers say before I even think about giving this another look.

nocturn
February 6th, 2016, 08:10 AM
Although I can see the reason for your high brow approach, I wouldn't hammer Bungie about the DLC thing. It's well documented it was Activision that had bungie chop the back end of Destiny to sell. Bungie f-ed the storyline up on their own accord.

nocturn
February 8th, 2016, 02:50 PM
https://youtu.be/mq25EbohanA

nocturn
February 9th, 2016, 09:28 AM
Open beta, confirmed:
http://kotaku.com/the-division-is-getting-another-beta-this-month-ubisof-1758051423

Kingsfan626
February 9th, 2016, 09:30 AM
you're quick nocturn. I just going to post what I saw on PCGamer. Hopefully this can redeem the game.

http://www.pcgamer.com/the-division-open-beta-is-happening-next-weekend/?utm_content=buffer6d1d3&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

LOSTcauseZERO
February 11th, 2016, 07:33 PM
Is this game going to be single player playable at all? Meaning, do you have to absolutely have more than one player playing to complete the story line?

nocturn
February 12th, 2016, 04:56 AM
Is this game going to be single player playable at all? Meaning, do you have to absolutely have more than one player playing to complete the story line?

Its got a bunch of single player elements but for me to say there's a single player campaign, might be a stretch. It's modeled after a MMO but with SPC and MPC elements...kind of like Destiny. There seems to be a bunch of co-op type missions also. That being said, there probably wont be a classic "end game" type of mission structure.

Kingsfan626
February 12th, 2016, 10:38 AM

Like Nocturn said there isn't going to be a real single player campaign since this is suppose to be an MMO but the game can be played single player in the PvE zone but you'll probably won't enjoy the dark zone as much since (at least the beta) people are camping right at the enterance. From what I've heard the game adapts to the amount of players on your team so if you're going solo it will know that vs having 2-8 team members.

Great news is the open beta starts next week and no beta code required so you can test and see if it's worth the pre-order or wait and see. Personally for $38 (20% off being a Best Buy Gamers Club member + $10 Best Buy rewards credit for preorder) I'm willing to try this game out.

Xbox One start time: Thursday, February 18 at 9 am GMT / 4 am EST / 1 am PST
PS4 and PC start time: Friday, February 19 at noon GMT / 7 am EST / 4 am PST

LOSTcauseZERO
February 13th, 2016, 11:14 AM
Well, that's discouraging. Thank you for the replies. I believe I will skip this game then. I will wait for the new Ghost Recon title to come out. Hopefully that will have a traditional single player campaign.

Boozehound
February 15th, 2016, 12:28 AM
The story missions will all be able to be completed as a single player. I wouldn't recommend going into the dark zone alone.

There are rumors that a Rikers island "raid" will be released 2 weeks after release as part of on going end game content.

TooCool
February 19th, 2016, 11:06 PM
Well, I gave the open beta a shot and here are my two cents.

This game definitely has a Destiny feel to it in terms of small lobbies and no public chat. Plus you can gear up and dress up your character so there's that. There are also lots of neat little side quests to go along with the missions. One thing I did like is that the AI was pretty smart. The bad guys with the baseball bats will just bum rush you, and the others who are taking cover actually throw grenades at you to make you move. But it's like what Kingsfan626 said, I think it's a bit weak to just program it so that some enemies can eat bullets like a sponge. A direct headshot should kill them faster (if not instantly).

All I can say is that I won't be purchasing this game at launch. Maybe down the line, if the reviews are absolutely outstanding and it goes on sale or something. After what Activision did to Destiny (and what they did to Advanced Warfare and currently with Black Ops 3)... I don't know anymore. Ubisoft is just as bad (if not worse) than Activision.

I think overall, if you liked Destiny.. you'll like this game. If you didn't then you probably won't like this game.

Trapper9
February 20th, 2016, 01:23 AM
I agree with you TooCool. I played all day today. I dont mind the AI eating bullets because my guy takes a lot of bullets too.
It held my interest but I'm still not sure about buying it plus the DLC's. Not sure I liked it that much.
It plays a lot like Dying Light which was single player but I liked it a lot.

Boozehound
February 20th, 2016, 08:04 PM
Where else can this happen?

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/RowdyPiper/video/14970572/

Fropitar
February 20th, 2016, 08:20 PM
Typical cover based shooter. City is beautiful but feels like it lacks depth. Combat is kinda a snore.

They call it The Division because it feels like you're doing division zzz

TooCool
February 20th, 2016, 10:51 PM
where else can this happen?

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/rowdypiper/video/14970572/

lol!

Kingsfan626
February 20th, 2016, 11:33 PM
The open beta feels much better than the closed beta. The bullets don't absorb as much even on hard mode and the AI does a better job flanking you if you sit around too long. Something still irks me about the Dark Zone and I can't pin point it but I think it's good enough to keep my preorders.

Kingsfan626
February 20th, 2016, 11:35 PM
Where else can this happen?

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/RowdyPiper/video/14970572/

It's called karma because every time you help out the NPCs with items they turn around and give you the New York attitude.

Boozehound
February 21st, 2016, 07:53 PM
Since it is the last few hours of the beta, my group of 3 decided to go rogue and had a blast. Got cornered once, held off the 10 or so players for a good little while until we ran out of bullets. Next time we waited until the white out conditions to start and successfully ran around the map until we weren't rogue(global manhunt).

Another group had the same idea and it was fun hunting and killing them.

nocturn
March 8th, 2016, 04:31 AM
Today is the day!

Hit me up on Xbone if anyone wants to hang.

RDZed72

Myk13
March 10th, 2016, 05:44 PM
still debating on this game, and system. PS4 or XB, which are most of this forum on?

Kingsfan626
March 10th, 2016, 07:28 PM
XB will have some expansion exclusivity for the first 30 days so if you buy the season pass XB might be your best bet.

http://blog.ubi.com/the-division-post-launch-content-xbox-one-exclusivity-details/

I'm playing it on the PS4 but honestly haven't found the time to sit down and enjoy it as much as I thought I would. I do have to say that the game is much better than the beta.

Myk13
March 11th, 2016, 10:55 PM
decided to Redbox this for PS4. Add me, I need lots of help haha. PSN = Myk13

King Smokey
March 14th, 2016, 02:10 PM
I see a review that said "If you like Destiny, you'll like this game." I LOOOOOVED Destiny... until the Taken King came out and people were buying the game new with every add on for less than what they wanted to charge me for JUST the last piece... so I quit and never looked back. (Thats a lie. I really miss that game. I got damn good at it by the time I quit and had max level all 3 characters and everything...). But thats what scares me about this one is the Destiny comparison. If none of my friends get this game, its not quite as fun alone. I was thinking of getting Rainbow Six Siege...

nocturn
March 20th, 2016, 07:11 PM
Been playing it for almost 2 weeks and I'm bored with it already.

It's exactly what I thought it would potentially be...One Dimensional. Same s*** over and over and over...

If you like to grind for the sake of grinding, this is your game.

Dexter
March 21st, 2016, 08:36 AM

It's exactly what I thought it would potentially be...One Dimensional. Same s*** over and over and over...

Ubisoft strikes again.

nocturn
March 21st, 2016, 10:47 AM
I see a review that said "If you like Destiny, you'll like this game." I LOOOOOVED Destiny... until the Taken King came out and people were buying the game new with every add on for less than what they wanted to charge me for JUST the last piece... so I quit and never looked back. (Thats a lie. I really miss that game. I got damn good at it by the time I quit and had max level all 3 characters and everything...). But thats what scares me about this one is the Destiny comparison. If none of my friends get this game, its not quite as fun alone. I was thinking of getting Rainbow Six Siege...

As a beta and day one Destiny player, The Division isn't even close...on many levels.

Ive been trying to put my finger on what exactly the Division is missing and I keep coming back to "soul". The Division has ZERO soul in it. It completely lacks any depth. Its mindless running around killing the same old NPCs but at higher levels.

That being said, I had a blast playing with a team. But playing with team dynamics shouldn't have to take up slack for the soul a game should have.

Its a visually stunning game though. The textures and game physics are absolutely top notch. Alas, some of the character mechanics are SUPER clunky.

Like I mentioned above, if you like to grind the same thing over and over to get 1/10th of a level higher, its definitely your type of game. I don't mind grinding at all. I just don't like monotonous grinding. That's pretty much why I and a lot of people have lost interest in it so fast. There's no longevity in monotonous grinding so soon after being unboxed.

nocturn
March 21st, 2016, 10:50 AM
Ubisoft strikes again.

Yep. It has the same problem as previous oobi games.

Birdman
March 25th, 2016, 12:10 PM

It is grindy, but it will do just fine over the next 6 months with new content tidbits to get over the hump until the new Destiny Release rolls out, because the new DLC stuff from TTK is just reconditioned crap we'll all finish in a week.

Both are WAY better than COD.

Birdman
March 25th, 2016, 12:15 PM
That being said, I had a blast playing with a team. But playing with team dynamics shouldn't have to take up slack for the soul a game should have. .

This is the only way to play this. Solo ****ing sucks.

My usual RAID crew from Destiny is all playing, and add in my 2 oldest friends from childhood who both are now playing it with us after not playing a console game with me forever. EVERY NIGHT. Its like going to your local bar on the way home for a few beers and a few games of darts with your old friends. Some nights, a few can't make it, but you still have at least 4 of you to knock **** out. That dynamic