PDA

View Full Version : MLB: The Official 2016 Angels Thread

Melfice
February 17th, 2016, 07:48 PM
It's that time of year again!

Will the Angels make the playoffs this season, or not?!?!

Ice24
February 17th, 2016, 10:28 PM
With this lineup, not a chance! Another year of futility, however, love going to Spring Training games. Beers, Sun and those Sun Devil ladies.

TooCool
February 17th, 2016, 11:13 PM
Sadly, it looks like Arte is going to waste another year of Trout with the lack of big FA deals and keeping Scioscia on-board for yet another season.

Unless the Halos play like they're possessed (somehow), it's not going to look good this season.

Melfice
February 18th, 2016, 10:30 PM
Yep I don't think the Angels will even have a winning record this season

TooCool
February 19th, 2016, 12:36 AM
May 20th against the Orioles.

Badass giveaway!

https://vine.co/v/ivmllKdbIta

job
March 10th, 2016, 12:39 PM
...however, love going to Spring Training games. Beers, Sun and those Sun Devil ladies.

Baseball all day and Mill Ave hotties all night.

Ice24
March 10th, 2016, 09:33 PM
Baseball all day and Mill Ave hotties all night.

Mill Ave is loaded.

FortyFour
March 13th, 2016, 09:01 PM
Nope!!

Rogie-Vachon
March 31st, 2016, 10:11 PM
Great day. Kings beat Flames. Angels beat Doyers...👌

TooCool
April 1st, 2016, 04:50 PM
Hilarious video here. Love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RapTbh_h9VQ

RockPile
April 7th, 2016, 03:13 PM
I would have been okay with them going all in with a rebuild this off season except for #27. (http://letsgokings.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=27.) Well, that wouldn't be all in but you know what I'm sayin. Seems like this year is just treading water. Not going to get better until Weaver, CJ and Hamilton are off the payroll but not doing the things needed to improve the farm either. That being said, "Red Lives Matter!" or whatever their slogan is this year.

TooCool
April 7th, 2016, 03:36 PM
19-8 Spring Training Record.. first good Spring Training in a long time.

Then what happens? **** the bed against the Cubs. Super. Heaney on the 15 day DL already.

We'll see how Weaver does. He claims that all this "hate" is motivating him to prove people wrong. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

TooCool
April 12th, 2016, 08:27 AM
It took 7 games but Trout finally hit his first HR of the season.

On a side note, it seems like Braves fans are giving Aybar a hard time because he couldn't make 2 tough plays the other day. Yikes.

TooCool
May 15th, 2016, 09:34 PM
http://i.makeagif.com/media/5-16-2016/nm-F53.gif

Under the new rules this year.. dirty slide by Bautista.

And if he's not a big enough douche already... here was his quote.

"I had a hard slide at second base. I could have injured [Odor, but] I chose not to," Bautista said. "I tried to send a message that I didn't appreciate getting hit [by the pitch]."

He ate a really good hockey punch too.

http://i.makeagif.com/media/5-16-2016/Ukek3a.gif

TooCool
May 19th, 2016, 09:42 AM
Pretty much everyone on the Halos are injured this year. Super.

RockPile
May 20th, 2016, 04:43 PM
http://i.makeagif.com/media/5-16-2016/nm-F53.gif

Under the new rules this year.. dirty slide by Bautista.

And if he's not a big enough douche already... here was his quote.

He ate a really good hockey punch too.

http://i.makeagif.com/media/5-16-2016/Ukek3a.gif

Bautista may be whatever, but it is sorta wuss to wait until the end of the season series to plunk him. If they didn't like his bat flip last year, they should have gone after him right away. Waiting to the end of the series is a punk move IMO. Bautista on the other hand should be more prepared if he's going to slide like that. It looks like he thought it was going to be a pushing match. Baseball really should issue the biggest suspensions for leaving the bench/bullpen 40 man baseball scrums are embarrassing.

RockPile
May 20th, 2016, 04:46 PM
Pretty much everyone on the Halos are injured this year. Super.

Amazing that they aren't worse off in the standings than they are. I like the Lincecum signing. Especially if we get picks/prospects for him at the deadline. Not that I'm a pessimist or anything.

Cross Traffic
June 8th, 2016, 04:32 PM
Only took 12 pitches for gas can Weaver to give up 2 runs. Most impressive. Scioscia must go!

Ice24
June 8th, 2016, 09:11 PM
Only took 12 pitches for gas can Weaver to give up 2 runs. Most impressive. Scioscia must go!

Did Weaver give up the runs or did Scioscia?

Ice24
July 6th, 2016, 09:36 PM

The gas can did not give up much today! Scioscia must go!

aaron
July 27th, 2016, 07:50 AM
God damn it's a long off season.

TooCool
July 27th, 2016, 01:38 PM
God damn it's a long off season.

Out of the playoff picture since June. It's brutal for sure.

Skaggs had a good outing for his first game back in 2 years last night. That was good. Happy for him.

But man, this roster needs a huge overhaul in the off-season. Especially the bullpen. All the injuries we have this year.. there's nothing we can do about that either. Just another year of Trout that is wasted.

Cross Traffic
July 28th, 2016, 05:15 AM
Only Scioscia would waste 15 minutes arguing and then playing the game under protest a throwing error. Umps should have tossed him after a minute or so.

Melfice
August 21st, 2016, 12:52 AM
This team needs to be torn apart, and it will be a long time before the Angels are even close to being a good team :(

TooCool
August 21st, 2016, 12:58 AM
This team needs to be torn apart, and it will be a long time before the Angels are even close to being a good team :(

Here's the most frustrating part.

Angels owner Arte Moreno expects Mike Scioscia back as manager, blames injuries for frustrating season (http://www.ocregister.com/articles/moreno-726432-angels-team.html)

“Baseball fans know that our pitching is down. The fans do. The kids, they just love to come to the ballpark. To us, it’s about having a great experience, safe and clean and affordable.”

To me, that means he doesn't give a **** how bad we suck. I think he took that risk with Pujols and Hamilton and it backfired greatly. So he's too scared to do anything else and will just settle for whatever he can make until he sells the team.

Cross Traffic
August 21st, 2016, 03:21 PM
SMH, they are going the old Clippers route, clueless at the top and inept at the bottom.

aaron
August 21st, 2016, 09:52 PM
Makes me feel bad for Trout. I've seen a few articles on how squandered his career has been and it's hard to argue against. It would be a mercy to trade him at this point.

RockPile
October 4th, 2016, 10:19 AM
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/angels-730641-system-league.html

At least, Eppler is correcting the idiocy of the DiPoto high-floor philosophy in the draft and hopefully the Angels will start to reap some benefits from the international ranks:

The Angels took a new thinking into the 2016 draft. They focused on some higher-ceiling, perhaps more risky, players than the organization had in the past. Five of the Angels’ top six picks in 2016 were high school players. In the previous five drafts, the Angels had drafted a total of five high school players in the top 10 rounds. They also extended their budget to sign 35 of their 40 draft picks, going over their draft pool allotment by the maximum amount allowed without forfeiting a draft pick. The Angels exceeded their pool amount by more than $300,000 – incurring a tax of about $228,000 – for the first time since the pool system was instituted in 2012. After the draft, the Angels replaced scouting director Ric Wilson with Matt Swanson, a well-respected scout from the St. Louis Cardinals. It is another sign of a shift in direction from the Dipoto-led organization.There also was a change in international player procurement. Last year, when the Angels were unable to sign high-profile international players because of spending restrictions resulting from the Roberto Baldoquin deal, the Angels essentially punted the international market. They traded their allotment to other teams for middling minor leaguers. This year, under Eppler, the Angels did not trade any of the allotment of about $2.2 million. They signed 11 players, and Eppler said they will keep signing players until the money is gone.

I do have confidence in Billy Eppler, but the hole he has to dig the organization out of is immense and there's no quick fix. He has until the 2020 season to turn the Angels into an organization that Trout would want to re-sign with, but, being a New Jersey guy, there's always the possibility he'll sign back east no matter what the Angels offer. On the plus side, now that Wilson and Weaver's contracts are up, that is 40m off the books and after next season, Hamilton's 26m (adjusted) comes off. That being said, the 2017 Free Agent market is really bad, particularly with starting pitchers. I'm fine with 2017 being a building year, and while I have confidence in Eppler I'm still concerned about the amount of freedom Arte will give him to make decisions that may impact attendance and overall revenue.

Ice24
April 4th, 2017, 10:26 PM
Angels with a huge must win tonight. 1-1 with 160 to play.

TooCool
April 6th, 2017, 09:23 AM
Nice 5-0 win over the crappy Oakland A's last night. Unfortunately, Garrett Richards is already injured. =\ Hope it's nothing serious but with our pitching luck, it probably is.

Ice24
April 6th, 2017, 09:34 AM
Nice 5-0 win over the crappy Oakland A's last night. Unfortunately, Garrett Richards is already injured. =\ Hope it's nothing serious but with our pitching luck, it probably is.

I took Richards for the win in Fan Duel last night, how about getting that last out in the 5th to get the win. Go figure, one out a way and he goes down. I heard his bicep tightened up. Hopefully nothing serious. But like you said, with their luck who knows?

TooCool
April 10th, 2017, 08:35 AM
Insane win yesterday. Down 9-3 going into the 9th.. the Halos scored 7 runs to win the game.

Yeah, it's early in the season but that kind of heart goes a looooooong way. It's like in the past 5 seasons or so, usually the Halos just kind of roll over and die when they're down by that much.

aaron
April 11th, 2017, 04:44 AM
Could it be the ignition of something special?

TooCool
April 12th, 2017, 12:30 PM
Could it be the ignition of something special?

Seems like it! Happened last night again. Down 5-0 going into the 7th and they come back to win it 6-5 in the 10th. Insane and a lot of fun to watch.

Obviously they can't keep doing this... the starting pitching needs to wake the f*** up and pitch better.

RockPile
April 12th, 2017, 02:18 PM
As long as they're being the cardiac kids and still in 1st place, we can't update this 2016 thread. Here's to being in a 2016 thread all the way to the 2017 post-season.

aaron
April 12th, 2017, 02:44 PM
I turned off updates at 5-0. Shocking morning surprise.

RockPile
April 25th, 2017, 01:43 PM
Well we wont be jinxing anything by making a new 2017 thread. We can discuss, what else, pitching injuries.

RockPile
May 1st, 2017, 07:54 AM
Anybody post at AngelsWin under a different handle? I'm Junkballer. I see TooCool over there. Anyone else?

TooCool
May 1st, 2017, 10:35 AM
Anybody post at AngelsWin under a different handle? I'm Junkballer. I see TooCool over there. Anyone else?

You're Junkballer? Nice. lol

Melfice was over there too I think, forgot what username he used.

My username is pretty obvious... =P Hell, I think I have a Kings emblem there as my avatar.

aaron
May 1st, 2017, 01:42 PM
I save my bile for LGK.

TooCool
May 16th, 2017, 09:12 AM
So I just noticed that during this homestand against the Tigers and White Sox.. when the Halos hit a HR, the Ducks goal music plays. Damn it.

It's like, "Yeah! Home Run! Argh, f*** that goal song!"

Anyone know if they've been doing it all season or is it just kind of a thing right now to "support" the Ducks?"

aaron
May 19th, 2017, 06:09 PM
You suck Scocia
Way to bat your pitcher leadoff in the top of the 6th in a 1 run game when he's not going to survive the inning.
Oh wow, he only game up 1 run. Game still over.

TooCool
June 5th, 2017, 10:04 AM
Late Congrats to Pujols for 600 HRs in his career. That was the only thing keeping the fans at the Big A with Mike Trout out for 2 months.. damn.

aaron
June 5th, 2017, 01:21 PM
Good for him.

Can't say I've loved any part of having him as an Angel. Watching him creep to 700 over the next 4 years is going to be painful.

TooCool
June 7th, 2017, 10:41 AM
Good for him.

Can't say I've loved any part of having him as an Angel. Watching him creep to 700 over the next 4 years is going to be painful.

Not even sure if he can make 700 at this point. He really sucks.

The signing at the time was amazing but he hasn't really done much to prove that he is worthy of such a contract. The Cards were really smart to let him go.

As for the current team, it's hard to believe that we're only 2.5 games out of a wild card spot with Trout and almost all of our Starting Pitching out. Plus Houston is pretty much uncatchable in the AL West race. It's wild card or bust for these Halos.

aaron
June 7th, 2017, 12:15 PM
He'll get his 25 yearly. At this point, that's all he does.

Free Trout

RockPile
June 8th, 2017, 08:38 AM

The signing at the time was amazing but he hasn't really done much to prove that he is worthy of such a contract. The Cards were really smart to let him go.

As for the current team, it's hard to believe that we're only 2.5 games out of a wild card spot with Trout and almost all of our Starting Pitching out. Plus Houston is pretty much uncatchable in the AL West race. It's wild card or bust for these Halos.

Yeah, Arte really demonstrated his fundamental shortcomings in understanding team building in those horrendous signings. I'd like to lay the blame elsewhere (Dipoto) but Pujols is all Arte. BUT, we're stuck with him and he ain't going anywhere so we might as well look for the silver lining, which is, for a DH, he's average to good.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2017-positional-power-rankings-designated-hitter/

RBI is almost a hated stat now but he does still do pretty well with men in scoring position and will win a few games for us over the span of the season because of it.
https://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/6619/situational/

He's not cost effective but he still contributes.