PDA

View Full Version : The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou

What party?
April 11th, 2017, 04:28 PM
I just re-watched this movie *not low* on Netflix over the weekend. And have a question: Was it set in the 1970?s? All of the characters slang was from the 70?s and the lab equipment looked dated ( ala Jacques Cousteau era). Was not sure if that was Wes Anderson taking artistic liberties visually and Bill Murray using (dated?) slang back when he was cool as a long running joke, or a combination of both. Do you think the movie was set in present day (well circa 2004) or did I completely miss the entire theme and it was a period piece?

Dexter
April 11th, 2017, 05:01 PM
Wes Anderson is incredibly hipster so all his films are "hip"

USCKingsFan31
April 11th, 2017, 05:11 PM
One of my all-time favorite flicks.

Never thought of it as a period piece... though I suppose it could be. Given that it is definitely in its own universe (the Wes Anderson one), I take the visual and technological choices to be based on setting a tone as opposed to being clues to a certain time period.

What party?
April 11th, 2017, 05:21 PM
One of my all-time favorite flicks.

Never thought of it as a period piece... though I suppose it could be. Given that it is definitely in its own universe (the Wes Anderson one), I take the visual and technological choices to be based on setting a tone as opposed to being clues to a certain time period.

Initially I felt the same, it was a setting a tone but again with a keener eye I felt it was a specific period. Meh. If you're up for it it may be worth a re-watch of a old fave to see what im seeing. Thanx SC.

USCKingsFan31
April 11th, 2017, 05:29 PM
Initially I felt the same, it was a setting a tone but again with a keener eye I felt it was a specific period. Meh. If you're up for it it may be worth a re-watch of a old fave to see what im seeing. Thanx SC.

You may be right. The equipment makes sense. Seu's Bowie covers are all of 70's songs, at least the ones I can think of off the top of my head (and it would make sense that he was covering fresh new songs as opposed to old classics).

Not trying to dismiss your theory, it's a good one. I just get the feeling it is more West Anderson enjoying and paying homage to the look and feel of this era moreso than making it a point to set the film within it.

NobleSavage
April 11th, 2017, 05:39 PM
Also a lover of this film.
I do think all the Wes Anderson movies are set in some fictitious 60/70s era that make them live in a 'recent nostalgia' universe.

What party?
April 11th, 2017, 06:13 PM
Also a lover of this film.
I do think all the Wes Anderson movies are set in some fictitious 60/70s era that make them live in a 'recent nostalgia' universe.

Ah, this I can wrap my head around. Makes sense , it's been bugging me for days and typing to you has resolved the issue. Thanks guys for humoring me, you're good peeps.

USCKingsFan31
April 11th, 2017, 06:37 PM
Interestingly, straight from the horse's mouth... http://nymag.com/nymetro/movies/features/10643/

I tell Anderson this is probably a stupid question, but it was hard for me to pin down when this movie was supposed to take place—its mixture of old-fashioned seafaring equipment, of oddly shaped guns and tools, left me perplexed.

“Not a stupid question, and almost impossible to answer,” he replies. “From the first movie I did [1994’s Bottle Rocket], I almost unconsciously decided to not specify where [my movies] were taking place, and to fill them with details that were not of any particular time period. With this movie, I think the props and gadgets are coming from the seventies, the sixties, and even the fifties. It’s just by chance, because I’m drawn to old analog gear, which sets any movie into a Blue Velvet–type unknown period. I like that feeling of displacement.”

What party?
April 12th, 2017, 10:48 AM
Wow. Great find, SC, thank you. Looks like the NYmag writer was a little more dialed in than the rest of us.

What party?
May 22nd, 2017, 09:15 AM
http://www.hollywoodbowl.com/tickets/seu-jorge-life-aquatic-tribute-david-bowie/2017-06-25

Team Zissou!

darby
May 22nd, 2017, 12:56 PM
http://www.hollywoodbowl.com/tickets/seu-jorge-life-aquatic-tribute-david-bowie/2017-06-25

Team Zissou!

I saw him do that set a few months ago at the Ace downtown. His voice is amazing and he can only have gotten better telling the stories about how he got brought into the project. It's a great show and I highly recommend it.