PDA

View Full Version : All Things: LA Galaxy, LAFC and MLS

LetTigerIn
April 24th, 2017, 09:05 AM
No need to keep putting new years on this, it seems.

Anyway, this 2017 LA Galaxy squad is not faring so well. They depleted their already limited depth at back when they sold AJ De La Garza, and with Robbie Rogers out indefinitely they are hurting. They are even more deficient at forward, where they remain essentially without a true starting striker. I presume they are holding the spot in the wild hopes of landing Ibrahimovic, which doesn't seem like is going to happen.

The one area where they do have impressive depth is at midfield, where Romain Alessandrini has outshone the entire squad, well deserving of his DP slot. Unfortunately, from day one, he's seemed like the only player on the club who is interested in putting the ball in the goal. Lletget may have been his equal, at least in terms of hunger to attack, had he not been injured, but obviously that is not the case now.

This is shaping up to be a long season. I'm going to get my Ashley Cole shirt while I still can, since I don't have a Chelsea shirt for him.

VEGASKING
April 24th, 2017, 11:55 AM
Ibra is out until early next year with a knee injury. That actually might be a positive in regards to signing him. Not sure why United would want to pay his wages for half a season that he is going to miss but they can afford it.

Is Keane still unsigned? Even with a good center forward this team isn't winning MLS Cup but it's not even a playoff team unless they can find one to score some goals.

LetTigerIn
April 24th, 2017, 12:24 PM
Ibra is out until early next year with a knee injury. That actually might be a positive in regards to signing him. Not sure why United would want to pay his wages for half a season that he is going to miss but they can afford it.

Is Keane still unsigned? Even with a good center forward this team isn't winning MLS Cup but it's not even a playoff team unless they can find one to score some goals.

AFAIK, Keane has not been signed by anyone.

ucsdguy1
April 26th, 2017, 12:58 PM
Does Pedro still exist?

They suck. Playoffs? Playoffs?

The #Onalfoout (http://letsgokings.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=Onalfoout) and #Vagenasout (http://letsgokings.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=Vagenasout) tags are growing.

LetTigerIn
April 26th, 2017, 01:06 PM
Does Pedro still exist?

They suck. Playoffs? Playoffs?

The #Onalfoout (http://letsgokings.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=Onalfoout) and #Vagenasout (http://letsgokings.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=Vagenasout) tags are growing.

When I first got my season tickets, there were loud chants of "Fire Sampson."

ucsdguy1
April 27th, 2017, 02:58 PM
I remember the Fuera Doug Hamilton days (RIP)

LetTigerIn
May 21st, 2017, 07:50 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yE9ylL3zBkg

ucsdguy1
July 6th, 2017, 10:56 AM
well saturday sure was a new low

LetTigerIn
July 6th, 2017, 02:12 PM
Saturday was brutal, and Tuesday was even worse. You know the Galaxy are thin on personnel when the captain is Dave Romney.

Even the in-stadium graphics crew botched it on Tuesday.

And the fireworks company they hire is the absolute worst.

ucsdguy1
July 6th, 2017, 04:17 PM
I actually meant to write Tuesday up above, but I guess they're interchangeable.

LetTigerIn
July 14th, 2017, 02:36 PM
Galaxy reportedly close to record deal with Zlatan Ibrahimovic (http://www.latimes.com/sports/soccer/la-sp-la-galaxy-20170513-story.html)

Says he may be ready for playoffs if he shows up, but that relies on the Galaxy actually making the playoffs. Hopefully, the addition of van Anholt will help.

LetTigerIn
July 17th, 2017, 09:13 AM
Zlatan Ibrahimovic Reportedly Rejected LA Galaxy, Wants Manchester United Return (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2721971-zlatan-ibrahimovic-reportedly-rejected-la-galaxy-wants-manchester-united-return)

I don't know what to make of this situation with the Galaxy. This is at least the second time the Zlatan story has played out in exactly the same way. The needs of the club remain exactly the same as the beginning of the season: help at the back, and a bonafide striker.

The chutzpah of this Galaxy front office does not seem to be paying off for them.

ucsdguy1
July 17th, 2017, 10:46 AM
Zlatan Ibrahimovic Reportedly Rejected LA Galaxy, Wants Manchester United Return (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2721971-zlatan-ibrahimovic-reportedly-rejected-la-galaxy-wants-manchester-united-return)

I don't know what to make of this situation with the Galaxy. This is at least the second time the Zlatan story has played out in exactly the same way. The needs of the club remain exactly the same as the beginning of the season: help at the back, and a bonafide striker.

The chutzpah of this Galaxy front office does not seem to be paying off for them.
I don't blame him. We're awful right now anyway.

I don't trust this FO at the moment at all.

LetTigerIn
July 17th, 2017, 11:04 AM
I don't blame him. We're awful right now anyway.

I don't trust this FO at the moment at all.

I actually think we could be not just good but great with Zlatan; but I don't trust this FO, either.

ucsdguy1
July 17th, 2017, 01:15 PM
I actually think we could be not just good but great with Zlatan; but I don't trust this FO, either.
Despite Zlatan being "the one", I wouldn't even trust his body with MLS travel, grind and physicality to hold up. But you can't deny his scoring prowess and the effect he'd have on teammates. Can't blame the guy for wanting another go with Man U though.

The FO - did they really think this team, and this depth was going to work? And if so, what the #%*(& (http://letsgokings.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=%25%2A%28%26) are they smoking? We'll see how Pele is, and it's shocking they're still potentially in the playoff race. But it better get corrected and fast or LAFC is going to start printing money..

LetTigerIn
July 24th, 2017, 12:07 PM
• I really love that Ashley Cole is on the Galaxy. I hope he has more seasons in him and that he wants to spend them here.

• I think Onalfo deserved a fair shake as manager before judgment, especially with the injury woes (and other roster problems) that he inherited, but he deserves a large share of the blame for dropping points Saturday. To be fair, I know little about soccer tactics, but it seems prudent to bunker down a little more knotted at 2 late in a road game.

• I like Diallo's game a lot. It makes the signing of the von Anholt a little suspect. If Diallo can hold off Pele or if Pele can beat out Diallo, either way, I think they may be in better shape at right full back than I thought.

• It still looks a lot from the outside like we gave up De La Garza just for the honor of having Zlatan laugh in our face. I don't think that's a good swap. Good thing we had a back-up plan.

• Colorado has a game in hand on us and could leapfrog us in the standings. I hope it doesn't happen, but, hey, we'll still be better than expansion-team Minnesota in the west.

• Did I mention I am a fan of Ashley Cole? I won his warm-up from Kings night in the charity auction. It's one of my favorite things right now, because it evokes my three favorite teams: the L.A. Kings, the L.A. Galaxy and Chelsea FC. It's even autographed by Ashley. Honestly, it doesn't look very good, but it's still going to look amazing in a shadow box on my wall.

ucsdguy1
February 1st, 2018, 10:44 AM
Two items of note:

1. The Ibrahimovic to Galaxy rumors heated up again this week. I don't know if it has legs this time around, but hell even Mourinho said he wouldn't stop the move. I'm not convinced he can go a full MLS season without picking up injuries, but heck that would be quite a story.

2. Saw this the other day: http://www.latimes.com/sports/soccer/la-sp-lafc-youtube-20180131-story.html
So if you want to watch non-national tv LAFC games, you have to be a paid subscriber to youtube tv? Doesn't seem like the best way to win over new fans..

LetTigerIn
February 1st, 2018, 10:58 AM
IF Galaxy do get Zlatan, I think it will work out better now than it might have previously, since now they have Kamara.

ucsdguy1
February 16th, 2018, 09:49 AM
A monstrosous 3-1 win over Fresno FC last night...yes the Fresno powerhouse. I'll admit I didn't see it but

https://i.imgur.com/TPHqbZL.gif

We're obviously getting set to win MLS Cup.

ucsdguy1
March 22nd, 2018, 08:33 AM
LA Times and few other sources reporting Ibrahimovic to the Galaxy is about a done deal

LetTigerIn
March 22nd, 2018, 09:49 AM
LA Times and few other sources reporting Ibrahimovic to the Galaxy is about a done deal

Well, this will be interesting. I'm hoping for the best?

ucsdguy1
March 22nd, 2018, 10:27 AM
Well, this will be interesting. I'm hoping for the best?
Older and injury prone. what could go wrong?

LetTigerIn
March 22nd, 2018, 10:47 AM
Older and injury prone. what could go wrong?

I'm more concerned with what his mindset will be coming to MLS. Okay, I'm concerned all around.

ucsdguy1
March 22nd, 2018, 12:17 PM
I'm more concerned with what his mindset will be coming to MLS. Okay, I'm concerned all around.
"Zlatan is not coming to MLS. MLS is coming to Zlatan"

ucsdguy1
March 23rd, 2018, 08:03 AM
https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/29497098_1771359652943723_3618912215527544245_n.pn g?_nc_cat=0&oh=4bc70382302ec76f630303924532e291&oe=5B2DB6B5

Moog
March 23rd, 2018, 08:36 AM
Love that ad!

Here's hoping his knee is healed.

He will be an absolute boom or an absolute bust.

Here's hoping!

Moog
March 30th, 2018, 02:43 PM
Zlatan looked good a training today.

Hope that translates onto the pitch!

Moog
March 31st, 2018, 04:04 PM
El Trafico was an amazing match!! Unbelievable!

Zlatan.....I don’t know what to say.

3 unanswered goals by LAFC them 4 straight by the Galaxy.
Never seen anything like it!

JGON85
March 31st, 2018, 09:36 PM
Great atmosphere today and better game, this was by far the most energetic of all the games Iíve attended.

Regretfully a lot of fans were acting foolish and a lot of near fights so I wonít be going back for another one anytime soon.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180401/0c2974479c7aa4c39af61bdc9b4d03d0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ucsdguy1
April 1st, 2018, 08:49 PM
Great atmosphere today and better game, this was by far the most energetic of all the games I’ve attended.

Regretfully a lot of fans were acting foolish and a lot of near fights so I won’t be going back for another one anytime soon.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180401/0c2974479c7aa4c39af61bdc9b4d03d0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I heard the same thing from some friends at the game. Sadly this was a problem when chivas USA was around. I also read similar things from Seattle fans about the traveling lafc fans last week. But who am I to judge.

But mostly:
“I heard them chanting ‘we want zlatan.’ I gave them Zlatan.”
- zlatan

Simply incredible

LetTigerIn
April 2nd, 2018, 08:48 AM
I still can't believe that match. Holy cow! Amazing! There's no way next Sunday gets anywhere close to that but still can't wait to be back at StubHub again.

Sorry to hear about the fights, JGON85. No fights broke out near me, and I was still in my seat debating whether to stay for Los Dos when the police helicopter was circling.

Moog
April 2nd, 2018, 10:43 AM
Wow, didn't know the LAFC supporters were violent low lifes. Sad.

ucsdguy1
April 2nd, 2018, 01:04 PM
I am Zlatan, you are like the buzzing of flies to me

https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/29683659_10156289256743205_6537580479834310705_n.j pg?_nc_cat=0&oh=8b7666180299d75aced88939f08da1af&oe=5B3ADCFD

Seriously though, the Galaxy had no business being on the same field in the first half. I thought LAFC's high press wore down and allowed LAG to attack with more consistency as the second got going (after that ridiculous own goal). LAFC's goalie probably could've done better on a couple. Nevertheless, my god. (no pun intended to Zlatan)

Moog
April 2nd, 2018, 02:48 PM
^^ Agreed. Still, though, the Galaxy "defense' was tough to watch in the first half.

Moog
April 4th, 2018, 12:25 PM
Anyone going to the LA Kings Night match with Sporting KC?

LetTigerIn
April 4th, 2018, 12:31 PM
Anyone going to the LA Kings Night match with Sporting KC?

I'll be there. Didn't realize it was Kings night Sunday. The last Kings night, I won Ashley Cole's warm-up shirt. They sent it signed by Ashley. It's one of my most prized sports collectibles now, since it links LA Kings, LA Galaxy and Chelsea FC.

ucsdguy1
April 4th, 2018, 03:41 PM
When the Galaxy sign Karry Kane in 3-4 years I'll show up to get his signed jersey fo sho. Right next to my Keane shirt.

Not going sunday but good luck and get us a win.

LetTigerIn
April 5th, 2018, 09:26 AM
If that happened, it would have to be more than 3-4 years, because we'll have to endure 3 years of "Harry Kane is coming to LA Galaxy" rumors first.

ucsdguy1
April 6th, 2018, 08:29 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBPW5U_71Jc

Moog
April 6th, 2018, 10:08 AM
When you play pre-game soccer with Zlatan, you score 4 goals in your game!!!

Moog
April 9th, 2018, 02:21 PM
Sporting KC game was tough to watch. Hit the wood 3 times and no goals. Crazy.

Still feel Galaxy defense is lacking significantly. Would love to shore up that area.

Zlatan brought some life and urgency to the team when he entered the game, but it was too little too late.
Also felt like they were trying to feed him the ball, or play off him too much in the attack.
I think when they get used to him, and him to the team, they will play more cohesively on the attack.

ucsdguy1
April 13th, 2018, 01:00 PM
Zlatan to be on jimmy kimmel next Tuesday

or should I say, Jimmy Kimmel's show to appear on the Zlataniverse

Moog
April 14th, 2018, 07:39 PM
Nice goal by Zlatan. Nice win over the Fire.

Still think Zlatan is far from game shape, however.

Moog
April 23rd, 2018, 08:47 AM
Atlanta United is surely a "complete" team.

They really exposed the Galaxy weak mid-field and defense.

I'm sure the Galaxy would have been better if both Dos Santos bros. played 90 min, but with J. out and Gio only in for a few minutes, it was rough.
Steres was just horrible.
Alessandrini looks like a fish out of water. I dunno what's going on with him.

ucsdguy1
April 23rd, 2018, 09:21 AM
the fact that it was only 1-0 late into the game, a questionable non-penalty, and then some, was a miracle

LetTigerIn
April 23rd, 2018, 09:21 AM
Atlanta United is surely a "complete" team.

They really exposed the Galaxy weak mid-field and defense.

I'm sure the Galaxy would have been better if both Dos Santos bros. played 90 min, but with J. out and Gio only in for a few minutes, it was rough.
Steres was just horrible.
Alessandrini looks like a fish out of water. I dunno what's going on with him.

Alessandrini's service was mostly terrible against Atlanta. Hopefully it was just an off day.

With Steres continuing to start, it makes me wonder what is going on with Ciani.

I also think Carrasco has been brutal. Not sure why. Before him, Husidic was mostly invisible. For most players in his position, that might be considered a positive thing, but having been a fan of Husidic in past seasons, I think he is having a better game when you notice his contributions. In either case, the absence of Jona seemed to have an impact.

I knew Atlanta would be a tough opponent, and I am generally filled with dread when Baldomero Toledo is assigned to a Galaxy match; but it was little relief for my frustration, even so.

I hope Gio and Jona are both available against Red Bulls. Galaxy certainly could use them.

Moog
April 30th, 2018, 08:54 AM
Only thing worse than the officiating during the Galaxy V Red Bulls match was the non-existent defense of the Galaxy.

A goal in the 6th minute?!?!?! Then another right after the start of the first half?!?!

Zlatan is right, the team has got to get in a position where they are not playing from behind.

New formation seemed better. I think it will be even better when both Dos Santos Bros. play.

Boateng....sucks that he is now the odd man out with Zlatan joining the club. The speed he brings up the flank is really missing on the attack.

05/29/93
April 30th, 2018, 09:46 AM
Only thing worse than the officiating during the Galaxy V Red Bulls match was the non-existent defense of the Galaxy.

A goal in the 6th minute?!?!?! Then another right after the start of the first half?!?!

Zlatan is right, the team has got to get in a position where they are not playing from behind.

New formation seemed better. I think it will be even better when both Dos Santos Bros. play.

Boateng....sucks that he is now the odd man out with Zlatan joining the club. The speed he brings up the flank is really missing on the attack.

Hmmm!!! Sounds a lot like another so cal team this past season.

LetTigerIn
April 30th, 2018, 10:25 AM
The officiating was bad, but not as bad as I thought from watching the match in person. All the really close and big calls just went against the Galaxy, which was terrible. Allen Chapman is still on my crap referee list, though. He showed his hand when he stopped the game early on just so he could flex on Alessandrini. It ain't about you, dud. Worse than Toledo.

I agree with Sigi that if the refs are keeping the cards tucked away, G's should foul early on the counter, since they're going to get a steady diet of nothing but that, probably, all season.

FWIW:

- Zlatan was *not* offside. Close, but fairly clear, IMO.
- The ball went off Romney's back and should not have been a penalty. Close, but not clear at all, so really Romney's damn fault for throwing up his arms.
- I thought Steres' karate chop on Luis Robles cost us a possible penalty, as a Bulls player handles the ball as it comes off Robles. In the stadium, I did not see the chop, but it's clear the refs got it right on TV.
- The Galaxy offense was really fun to watch most of the time.
- I still miss De La Garza, and I think the Galaxy does as well, but that's speculation.
- Really hope Ciani can stay healthy.

Moog
April 30th, 2018, 10:47 AM
File this under "Drives me nuts!" :

Why doesn't StubHub show a replay of the opposing team goal(s)?

It's maddening, and there is no excuse for it.

LetTigerIn
April 30th, 2018, 01:34 PM
File this under "Drives me nuts!" :

Why doesn't StubHub show a replay of the opposing team goal(s)?

It's maddening, and there is no excuse for it.

It's weird, right? Especially when they do show replays of controversial calls.

Moog
May 1st, 2018, 08:56 AM
Word is that Feltscher "broke" his shoulder in training last week. Rumored to be out for 4 months.

This comes on the heals of rumors that the Galaxy want RB Ignazio Abate from A.C. Milan.

https://www.lagconfidential.com/2018/4/30/17305382/rumor-la-galaxy-interested-in-a-c-milan-defender-ignazio-abate

LetTigerIn
May 1st, 2018, 09:21 AM
Word is that Feltscher "broke" his shoulder in training last week. Rumored to be out for 4 months.

This comes on the heals of rumors that the Galaxy want RB Ignazio Abate from A.C. Milan.

https://www.lagconfidential.com/2018/4/30/17305382/rumor-la-galaxy-interested-in-a-c-milan-defender-ignazio-abate

According to this site (http://www.milaninside.net/2018/04/30/calciomercato-milan-abate-verso-la-mls/), it looks to be a foregone conclusion. If Feltscher really is out that long, this would be a welcome addition.

ucsdguy1
May 1st, 2018, 12:56 PM
I'll take any defensive help we can get at this point

LAsportsfan
May 1st, 2018, 07:12 PM
Went to Banc of California Stadium on Sunday for LAFC's home opener. Very nice stadium and the lower end seats make you feel like you're on top of the action. The view of the LA skyline from the SW end was also good.

ucsdguy1
May 2nd, 2018, 08:20 AM
Went to Banc of California Stadium on Sunday for LAFC's home opener. Very nice stadium and the lower end seats make you feel like you're on top of the action. The view of the LA skyline from the SW end was also good.
I got invited to go to the game this saturday. While I'll feel dirty, happy to go check out and see the new digs.

Moog
May 2nd, 2018, 04:39 PM

How are the LAFC fans?

Chivas/Raiders vibe?

Read that ownership got irate after the home opener, with the stadium chanting the "homophobic" chant on the goal kicks.
Now ownership claims they will have a zero tolerance policy and throw people out of the stadium, and if you are a ST holder, your license will be permanently revoked.

LAsportsfan
May 2nd, 2018, 09:58 PM
How are the LAFC fans?

Chivas/Raiders vibe?

Read that got irate after the home opener, with the stadium chanting the "homophobic" chant on the goal kicks.
Now ownership claims they will have a zero tolerance policy and throw people out of the stadium, and if you are a ST holder, your license will be permanently revoked.

I'd say a little more Raiders than Chivas, but that's more because of the Black and Gold colors. Did see a couple near the museum in Kings gear going to the game and a Justin Williams T-shirt in the expensive seats.

Aside from the chant, the fans there were all good. I'm sure they were just excited to finally experience the new stadium, particularly the 3252's. We'll see if it keeps up, but so far, this so-far neutral MLS fan approves of the experience.

LetTigerIn
May 3rd, 2018, 11:55 AM
RUMOR UPDATE: SCHMID THROWS COLD WATER ON IGNAZIO ABATE RUMORS (http://cornerofthegalaxy.com/2018/05/03/rumor-update-schmid-throws-cold-water-on-ignazio-abate-rumors/)

I'm not sure how much cold water it really is. According to the article, Sigi points out the transfer window closed 1 May and won't open again until 10 July.

Since the plan would be to bring Abate over after AC Milan's season is over, the timeline doesn't seem out of order at all.

Moog
May 3rd, 2018, 02:29 PM
^^ Agreed. Sounds like Sigi is speaking about the here and now more than when the window opens in the summer.

Time will tell. In the mean time, Romney has got to step up and fill an even bigger void in the back.

Moog
May 7th, 2018, 08:49 AM
Oof!
That horrid defense.
Goaltender in no man's land.
Goaltender with no communication with the defenders.
Giving up a goal just minutes into the match.....again!!!!

Standing still does not win games.
With Zlatan and Kamra on your club, you would think somebody, forward or midfield would make a run, or dribble with the ball.....nope!
Whole lotta standing around and passing the ball back to reset....over and over again. A stationary team with possession will turn the ball over and never have a scoring chance.

Come on Sigi.....coach! With the exception of defense, the talent is there to win. They are just not executing.

ucsdguy1
May 7th, 2018, 03:37 PM
Awful. Really embarrasing.

On another note, I went to LAFC's game saturday. Took the subway there from Universal. About a 45-50 minute ride after I drove to the train station for 20 minutes or so. Not terrible, so much better than sitting in the car in stop and go on the 405, and waiting an hour to get out of the parking lot after a game. We left the stadium after the game and were back on the subway within about 15 minutes. It's also really fun riding public transportation when a good majority of riders are going to the game. Good vibe and lots of chatter. We stopped to have lunch in Grand Central Market, and took a nice walk around the expo center and surrounding USC-ish sites beforehand. If they'd open up a couple of pubs around the stadium it'd be a perfect pregame area. Way different than Carson.

Very nice stadium - really no bad viewpoints. Our seats behind the goal under the big jumbotron were in shade the entire game which was nice. A lot of noticeable empty seats though. The crowd was a little subdued (probably because the game was too), but that place is well designed for crowd noise. When they scored and a couple stadium chants it did get pretty darn noisy. May actually try to go now on July 26th when the galaxy play there, until I change my mind because it's a thursday night.

Oh and the Galaxy are awful.

Moog
May 7th, 2018, 04:31 PM
Interesting about the "empty seats". Only their second game in that stadium, and already empty seats?!?!?
That was a Saturday afternoon game....should have been sold out.

ucsdguy1
May 7th, 2018, 04:58 PM
Interesting about the "empty seats". Only their second game in that stadium, and already empty seats?!?!?
That was a Saturday afternoon game....should have been sold out.
You would think. Will be curious to see how their weeknight game(s) upcoming looks.

LetTigerIn
May 8th, 2018, 10:28 AM
Awful. Really embarrasing.

On another note, I went to LAFC's game saturday. Took the subway there from Universal. About a 45-50 minute ride after I drove to the train station for 20 minutes or so. Not terrible, so much better than sitting in the car in stop and go on the 405, and waiting an hour to get out of the parking lot after a game. We left the stadium after the game and were back on the subway within about 15 minutes. It's also really fun riding public transportation when a good majority of riders are going to the game. Good vibe and lots of chatter. We stopped to have lunch in Grand Central Market, and took a nice walk around the expo center and surrounding USC-ish sites beforehand. If they'd open up a couple of pubs around the stadium it'd be a perfect pregame area. Way different than Carson.

Very nice stadium - really no bad viewpoints. Our seats behind the goal under the big jumbotron were in shade the entire game which was nice. A lot of noticeable empty seats though. The crowd was a little subdued (probably because the game was too), but that place is well designed for crowd noise. When they scored and a couple stadium chants it did get pretty darn noisy. May actually try to go now on July 26th when the galaxy play there, until I change my mind because it's a thursday night.

Oh and the Galaxy are awful.

One of the reasons the crowd may have been a little more subdued is that all the STM got multiple alerts stating that shouting certain things would not be tolerated.

Moog
May 8th, 2018, 01:59 PM
One of the reasons the crowd may have been a little more subdued is that all the STM got multiple alerts stating that shouting certain things would not be tolerated.

I wonder if the low turn-out was a fan revolt.....ie don't tell us what we can chant or not chant.....so to speak.

Not being pro or con on the "chant" , but ownership was very swift in its response and came at their fans with zero tolerance.
The last thing you want out of the gate for a franchise is to piss off your fans.

Again, I'm not saying they should chant the old "mexican slang" on the goal kicks, but perhaps ownership response should have been more measured.

meh...who knows for sure.......let's see if attendance continues to slide.

LetTigerIn
May 8th, 2018, 04:08 PM
I have a couple of friends who are LAFC STM, so I'll ask 'em. Might catch a match there this season, too.

ucsdguy1
May 8th, 2018, 04:31 PM
I may actually make an effort to go on July 26th when the Galaxy play (but if they keep up the way they are, it might not be worth the effort)

Moog
May 10th, 2018, 11:23 AM
Wow, tons of empty seats at the FCLA MNUFC game last night.

3 home games in and the stadium is half empty!

The team is very good for an expansion side...... FCLA supporters.....I dunno.

LetTigerIn
May 10th, 2018, 11:30 AM
Wayne Rooney: Everton forward agrees 'deal in principle' to join MLS side DC United (https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44069924)

ucsdguy1
May 10th, 2018, 01:35 PM
Wayne Rooney: Everton forward agrees 'deal in principle' to join MLS side DC United (https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44069924)
As a text I got last night read, "if it's good rooney, he'll do well. if it's fat rooney not so much"

I saw a picture from the LAFC game last night that looked pretty empty, but it was before the game started. Heard it filled in a bit more by game time but haven't seen for real.

Moog
May 10th, 2018, 03:10 PM
Galaxy player salary released:
https://www.lagconfidential.com/2018/5/10/17340140/la-galaxy-2018-player-salaries-released

Justin Vom Steeg: GK, $54,500.04, $54,500.04

Daniel Steres, D, $125,004.00, $132,066.60

Brian Sylvestre, GK, $67,500.00, $67,500.00

Jorgen Skjelvik, $900,000.00, $1,000,000.00

Dave Romney, D, $74,418.75, $74,418.75

Chris Pontius, $174,999.96, $174,999.96

Joao Pedro, M, $219,996.00, $240,996.00

Ariel Lassiter, F $67,500.00, $67,500.00

Sebastian Lletget, LA Galaxy, M, $240,000.00, $252,666.67

Bradford Jamieson, F, $72,765.00, $72,765.00

Ola Kamara, F, $825,000.00, $925,000.00

Perry Kitchen, D-M, $450,000.00, $474,166.67

Emrah Klimenta, D, $67,500.00, $67,500.00

Tomas Hilliard-Arce, D, $90,000.00, $113,125.00

Baggio Husidic, M, $174,999.96, $174,999.96

Zlatan Ibrahimovic, F, $1,500,000.00, $1,500,000.00

Rolf Feltscher, D, LA Galaxy, $240,000.00, $270,000.00

Jonathan dos Santos, M, $2,000,000.04, $2,000,000.04

Giovani dos Santos, F, $4,250,000.00, $6,000,000.00

Servando Carrasco, M, LA Galaxy, $67,500.00, $67,500.00

Michael Ciani, D, $600,000.00, $620,000.00

Ashley Cole, D, $450,000.00, $722,499.98

Emmanuel Boateng, F, $130,000.00, $130,000.00

David Bingham, GK, $275,000.04, $275,000.04

Romain Alessandrini, M, $1,539,996.00, $1,869,996.00

Efrain Alvarez, M, $67,500.00, $72,233.84

Hugo Arellano, D, $75,000.00, $82,573.75

Romain Alessandrini, M, $1,539,996.00, $1,869,996.00

Skjelvik's........oof!

Moog
May 14th, 2018, 10:47 AM
Galaxy have reached a new low.

The defense is non-existent.
It's mind numbing how many times no defender picks up and marks an opposing player in or near the box.

Kitchen should not be a starter.

ucsdguy1
May 14th, 2018, 02:50 PM
It's really, really bad

Moog
May 21st, 2018, 08:44 AM
Gotta get a win over Montreal......just gotta.

ucsdguy1
May 21st, 2018, 09:28 AM
Gotta get a win over Montreal......just gotta.
I'm not holding my breath

Moog
May 21st, 2018, 02:27 PM
Nice win, with 10 men.

Ibra....just plain dumb!

I gotta say, when Boateng hits the pitch, the team dynamic really changes.
The team lacks player movement with the ball, but once Boateng gets into the match, the club gets chances.
The players have got to learn to make runs, or dribble the ball to create openings, passing lanes, and chances.

Happy for the points.

Looks like an OG line-up and formation for San Jose.
....dare I say 6 points in less than 5 days?!?!?

ucsdguy1
May 21st, 2018, 02:30 PM
I just saw the clip. I couldn't even tell if the guy was intentionally trying to stomp his foot at first glance. Pretty sure that's a red card Ibra. But the dave chappelle "what did the hand say to the face" gifs are flying across the internet right now.

Otherwise I haven't seen anything other than the score and will watch later.

ucsdguy1
May 21st, 2018, 02:32 PM
oh and did I hear correctly no Gio today?

https://media1.tenor.com/images/313fed5d8fdd8b0845e19555a1da65c3/tenor.gif?itemid=5236578

LetTigerIn
May 21st, 2018, 03:06 PM
oh and did I hear correctly no Gio today?

https://media1.tenor.com/images/313fed5d8fdd8b0845e19555a1da65c3/tenor.gif?itemid=5236578

No Gio, but Jona played well.

Moog
May 25th, 2018, 08:48 AM
Gotta get the easy points tonight.

Gio? lol

Boateng assumed to start should give some speed and movement on the attack for runs.
Kamara the lone gunman should be a benefit.

This should be an easy one....right?

Moog
May 26th, 2018, 02:40 PM
U G L Y Clasico.
That game was a mess and boring all rolled into one.

Thankfully the Galaxy got the points.
I’ll say it again: Boateng is huge!
Things happen when he is on the pitch.

Gio....meh. I wish they would let him go.
$4 mill could be better spent.

Let’s hope 2 wins in a row give them some confidence.
Zlatan back for Wednesday’s match combined with confidence could be brilliant.

ucsdguy1
May 30th, 2018, 03:28 PM
I got a small chuckle out of this

https://scontent-dfw5-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/34091250_1951116848241561_8400621611937431552_n.jp g?_nc_cat=0&_nc_eui2=AeGZiYmgsToLMKWwp92yEZAPsQ0n7HOkpSyohisON hmxESfz9I7rUPtOFBhIlu6cF0PN-JraPMVAtP9DslcUejDuaUXa73euaXqitkz3WwbbVA&oh=b11ee088475473cad04d01ca74e4dd36&oe=5BBDF885

Moog
May 31st, 2018, 08:44 AM
Well the Galaxy defense looked like a clown-fest once again.
Bingham was not so good as well, but then again can I blame him with what is in front of him.

So if the front office will not/cannot get defensive help, can Sigi at least put a consistent group of 4 together instead of back 4 roulette?

This team needs pace, Boateng should start.

I'm not sure the 4-3-2-1 is working out. 4-4-2 or something else. I dunno.

Frustrating is an understatement.

ucsdguy1
May 31st, 2018, 09:14 AM
Sigi seems to be saying "what do you want me to do we can't add anyone until summer at best".

I get Zlatan can score goals, but I agree we look so flat at times. The service in is often terrible. But mostly, the defense is beyond awful.

Moog
May 31st, 2018, 09:44 AM
Sigi seems to be saying "what do you want me to do we can't add anyone until summer at best".

I get Zlatan can score goals, but I agree we look so flat at times. The service in is often terrible. But mostly, the defense is beyond awful.

Agreed. The service is severely lacking. I just don't know if the players are nervous playing with Zlatan, or what. I dunno.

The defense in park pick-up game looks better than the Galaxy. It really does look that bad.

For most of the past few games the team is just standing around when they have possession.
Only when they are trailing do they actually move, dribble, and see guys going on runs.
They must do this for 90 minutes.

ucsdguy1
June 3rd, 2018, 09:06 AM
Yep when boateng came off and zlatan came on I thought well this game is about to come to a grinding halt. And allessandrini sub, great. Still not overly impressed with midfield but what do you expect when half 1/4 to 1/2 of your regulars aren’t playing.

A point is a point on the road, but I don't like the idea of celebrating a draw like it' s a win. and god they’re boring

ucsdguy1
June 4th, 2018, 11:35 AM
another laugh, someone sent this to me from the Times. I'm also amazed we're only 4 points back of them

https://scontent-dfw5-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/34459644_974464066055000_2563167986114363392_n.jpg ?_nc_cat=0&oh=5a9c98e74c09410e89d7648303841dee&oe=5BB7E307

Moog
June 4th, 2018, 12:06 PM
Yep when boateng came off and zlatan came on I thought well this game is about to come to a grinding halt. And allessandrini sub, great. Still not overly impressed with midfield but what do you expect when half 1/4 to 1/2 of your regulars aren’t playing.

A point is a point on the road, but I don't like the idea of celebrating a draw like it' s a win. and god they’re boring

I thought the same thing. Why swap out Ema? He should have been kept on as he was bringing the pace.
It really did grind to a halt with him out.

If not for Binham having a HUGE game, it could have been a bad loss.

I'll take the point, but I agree, it's not much to celebrate.

...at least the Galaxy scored first.....so there's that.

ucsdguy1
June 4th, 2018, 12:59 PM
I thought the same thing. Why swap out Ema? He should have been kept on as he was bringing the pace.
It really did grind to a halt with him out.

I'm not convinced Sigi believes Boateng and Zlatan can play together. I'm not convinced either. Too much pace when Ema is in, versus just control control, serve to the middle, and pray when Zlatan is in.

Bingham had a better game saturday than say, bill hamid..

Moog
June 4th, 2018, 01:49 PM
I'm not convinced Sigi believes Boateng and Zlatan can play together. I'm not convinced either. Too much pace when Ema is in, versus just control control, serve to the middle, and pray when Zlatan is in.

Bingham had a better game saturday than say, bill hamid..

That may be true and that is a good point, however games prior to the Timbers, the team has no pace, little to no service, and they have no movement when they have possession.

Is Ema the answer? I dunno, but some pace would help as well as solid service.

LetTigerIn
June 9th, 2018, 09:19 AM
Can anyone here use a free pair of tickets for tonight's (9 June 2018) match?

ucsdguy1
June 11th, 2018, 08:15 AM
so.....we're back?

:biggrin:

I'll admit off the dvr I watched most of the usa/france game and fast forwarded to highlights of the Galaxy. Mental note, make Zlatan angry every game.

Moog
June 11th, 2018, 08:45 AM
No DP's....no problem.

3-5-2.....did Sigi stumble upon something great?!?!?

I gotta say that formation worked really well.
Was Romain being out, addition by subtraction?

Bradford Jameson IV really was impressive, brought the pace, and was a big difference maker when he came on.

Are the Galaxy finally gelling? ....or is RSL, really that bad.

I'm hoping the Galaxy have finally starred to come around.

Sure was a helluva win!

ucsdguy1
June 11th, 2018, 09:06 AM
RSL is that bad, even if they're still 2 points ahead of us.

Bradford Jameson has shown potential but often disappears as well. Not like he's had the utmost of playing time though, and I'm sure once the DP's are back he won't play much. The G's are two points behind lafc and out of third in the western conference? That is looney tunes.

Now the question we have, do we want to Mexico to advance in the WC and keep our DPs out longer......?

LetTigerIn
June 11th, 2018, 09:46 AM
Rimando frequently finds a way to stifle the Galaxy, so I'm glad he did not on Saturday. RSL may not be great, especially without Beckerman, but I think this was a good win for the Galaxy.

The defense still had its lapses, but I think those are bound to come for any club in pretty much any given match. There were a couple of instances of some panic defending that, fortunately, came through, and the bounces went in the Galaxy's favor for a change.

I'm glad Zlatan did not have to put anyone into a coma at the hospital.

Moog
June 11th, 2018, 11:11 AM
RSL is that bad, even if they're still 2 points ahead of us.

Bradford Jameson has shown potential but often disappears as well. Not like he's had the utmost of playing time though, and I'm sure once the DP's are back he won't play much. The G's are two points behind lafc and out of third in the western conference? That is looney tunes.

Now the question we have, do we want to Mexico to advance in the WC and keep our DPs out longer......?

Is it possible that if Mexico does not advance, Jona can come back to the Galaxy, but Gio stays in Russia?

wink...wink.

ucsdguy1
June 11th, 2018, 04:56 PM
Is it possible that if Mexico does not advance, Jona can come back to the Galaxy, but Gio stays in Russia?

wink...wink.
You're not the first to suggest this..

Moog
June 12th, 2018, 08:53 AM
So for the OPEN match against Portland, I guess it's all starters? (with the exception of Zlatan....I guess he has some promotion engagement)

Since Zlatan will be out, does Sigi go back to the former formation, or stay with the "new" 3-5-2 ?

ucsdguy1
June 12th, 2018, 09:47 AM
former! new formation! I don't know!

Hopefully Kamara and Boateng run amok...

LetTigerIn
June 12th, 2018, 11:25 AM
Why do you say 3-5-2?

Moog
June 12th, 2018, 12:29 PM
Why do you say 3-5-2?

To quote Sigi:

We’ve been scoring more goals when we’ve been playing two forwards and playing more of a 3-5-2 or a 5-3-2 whatever you want to call it, and so that’s the way we came out tonight, and I thought obviously we did well and got a little more direct.”
https://www.lagalaxy.com/post/2018/06/10/postgame-quote-sheet-la-galaxy-vs-real-salt-lake-june-9-2018

LetTigerIn
June 12th, 2018, 05:47 PM
To quote Sigi:

https://www.lagalaxy.com/post/2018/06/10/postgame-quote-sheet-la-galaxy-vs-real-salt-lake-june-9-2018

Interesting that either way, he's figuring in Kitchen at the back. What's the difference between calling it a 3-5-2 or 5-3-2 instead of 4-1-3-2? Is there a strategic difference? Just a matter of preference? Just shorter?

The important thing, it seems, though, is having Ola and Zlatan together instead of Ola on the left.