PDA

View Full Version : Lakers 2017 - 2018 Thread (Now 100% Mozgov Free)

HeadInjury
June 25th, 2017, 01:25 PM
Here's the roster so far:

PG: Ball
SG: Clarkson, Hart, Nwaba
SF: Ingram, Deng, Brewer
PF: Randle, Nance, Kuzma
C: Lopez, Zubac, Bryant

Lakers have to make decisions on Black, Ennis and Robinson. I've put Nwaba on the roster, but I think his contract for this year is not guaranteed.

Seems like bringing back Ennis at the minimum is a likely move. Clarkson can also play the point, but getting a vet point guard should be a priority. I would expect Black's team option won't be exercised. Where would he play? I believe the Lakers can have 17 players under contract this season, including the D-League (now called the Gatorade League).

Vegas Summer League starts July 7.

mrm55
June 27th, 2017, 02:13 PM
Wow-

Being reported Paul George is asking other players (Klay Thompson) to join him in LA.

..."Kelenna Azubuike, a former NBA guard and current analyst for NBC Sports Bay Area, told 95.7 The Game on Tuesday that George has already reached out to Klay Thompson to join him on the Lakers when Thompson is a free agent ? in 2019. "

http://www.businessinsider.com/paul-george-reportedly-recruiting-klay-thompson-lakers-2019-2017-6

FortyFour
June 28th, 2017, 12:00 AM
Interesting. The tide seems to be turning.

HeadInjury
June 28th, 2017, 12:13 PM
Chris Paul traded to the Rockets. Reports claiming Houston is also trying to trade for Paul George or Carmello.

TooCool
June 28th, 2017, 03:10 PM
Chris Paul traded to the Rockets. Reports claiming Houston is also trying to trade for Paul George or Carmello.

RIP Clippers. You had like 5 years to takeover LA as a basketball town and you failed miserably like you always do. :lol:

ucsdguy1
June 28th, 2017, 03:10 PM
if Chris Paul costs the lakers Paul George, David Stern gonna have a laugh fest

HeadInjury
June 28th, 2017, 03:26 PM
Lakers picked up the team option on Nwaba today.

Ice24
June 29th, 2017, 11:35 AM
Lakers picked up the team option on Nwaba today.

Who?

mrm55
June 30th, 2017, 08:13 PM
The Indiana Pacers have agreed to trade four-time All-Star forward Paul George to the Oklahoma City Thunder, sources tell ESPN's Ramona Shelburne.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19778834/paul-george-traded-indiana-pacers-oklahoma-city-thunder

HeadInjury
June 30th, 2017, 08:47 PM
That's great news for us, since he's not going to commit long term to OKC. Oladipo and Sabonis isn't much of a return for Indy.

TooCool
July 1st, 2017, 06:58 AM
Sucks for the Thunder when PG13 and Westbrook both come to the Lakers next year.

HeadInjury
July 1st, 2017, 12:44 PM
Here's the summer league roster and schedule: http://www.nba.com/lakers/news/170629-lakers-summer-league-roster

Travis Wear is a player I had forgotten about. Vander Blue has a definite shot to make a 17-man squad. He was the MVP of the D-League last year.

HeadInjury
July 1st, 2017, 02:07 PM
Lakers cut ties with Tarik Black. No surprise, but a good guy and I hope he finds a good fit somewhere.

http://www.nba.com/lakers/releases/170701black-waive

HeadInjury
July 1st, 2017, 02:38 PM
Lakers have about $17 million in cap space (factoring in what the unsigned 1st round picks will get). I'd like to see them do another Jeremy Lin type trade where they take on an expiring contract contract and are compensated for doing so, rather than try to improve the team for next year.

HeadInjury
July 3rd, 2017, 11:36 AM
Lakers met with Dion Waiters last night and are scheduled to meet with George Hill today. Hill in particular would be a significant addition. Shot 40% from the three last year.

Also discussion that Rondo is a potential signing which is just gross.

HeadInjury
July 7th, 2017, 09:16 PM
Lakers lose their first summer league to the Clippers 96-93 in overtime. Led most of the way before laying an egg in the 4th quarter. Came back from about 6 points down in the last minute to force overtime.

Brandon Ingram was great. 26 points. He had a chance to win it in regulation, but just missed. His leg cramped up on the play and Magic ordered him out of OT as a precaution.

Ball was pretty bad. I'm not going to sugar coat it. He looked lethargic and couldn't shoot. Made something like 2 of 15, including only 1 of 10 from the 3. Many open looks that weren't close. Some nice passes, but nothing really special. In his defense, D'Lo and Ingram were both bad in their first summer league. D'Lo was on fire in his second summer league as Ingram was tonight. So no reason to panic over it. Like most of these guys, Ball's game isn't developed because he left college way too early.

Thomas Bryant was great in the first half. He has quite a motor. Kuzma showed some good hustle. Zubac looked pretty bad. I really didn't notice Hart.

mrm55
July 8th, 2017, 09:32 AM
Agree with Head Injury.

Mitchrock could've beat Ball in 'Horse.'

Thomas Bryant looked like he should've been the #1 (http://letsgokings.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1) overall pick. Reminded me of a young , healthy Andrew Bynum, but quicker.

FortyFour
July 8th, 2017, 04:23 PM
Ball's debut is getting blown out of proportion, as will everything he does this year. He did look hesitant, and obviously his shot wasn't falling. Nothing too concerning, just coachable moments that the staff will address.

HeadInjury
July 8th, 2017, 11:56 PM
Lakers decided to shut Ingram down for the rest of summer league. Apparently, he's okay. Lakers lost again, this time to the Celtics 86-81.

I only caught the first half, but Ball was much better. Shot was still off, but he ended up with a triple double, 11-11-11. Assists and rebounding are keys to his game and he had those tonight.

Kuzma had a great game and ended up with 31 points. Hart had 15 points. Thomas Bryant didn't repeat his first game performance, failing to score.

HeadInjury
July 10th, 2017, 11:22 PM
Lakers were without Ingram, Ball, Kuzma or Hart, so naturally they beat Sacramento 95-92. I turned it off in the 3rd when the Lakers were up by about 20.

Zubac continued to not look good. Some guy named Caruso was on fire in the first. Blue was the high scorer with 21.

HeadInjury
July 11th, 2017, 05:14 PM
For what it's worth, Lakers met with Kentavious Caldwell-Pope and Rondo today. KCP apparently turned down a lot of money from Detroit who then released him. Coming off a career year, but still not a good shooter. Plays good defense though.

Edit: Reports are that KCP has agreed to a 1-year $18 million deal. Lakers don't actually have this much in cap space (actual space is a little over $17 million.) So they might have to waive Nwaba to get to $18 million. They have a $4.2 room exception that they could still offer to Rondo. Might instead bring Ennis back for less.

TooCool
July 12th, 2017, 03:38 PM
Lakers were without Ingram, Ball, Kuzma or Hart, so naturally they beat Sacramento 95-92. I turned it off in the 3rd when the Lakers were up by about 20.

Zubac continued to not look good. Some guy named Caruso was on fire in the first. Blue was the high scorer with 21.

Thanks for the recaps. I give you props for watching Summer Ball. Maybe it's just me but I care less about this than I do about Pre-Season... and I don't care about Pre-Season! :lol:

mrm55
July 12th, 2017, 06:46 PM
Thanks for the recaps. I give you props for watching Summer Ball. Maybe it's just me but I care less about this than I do about Pre-Season... and I don't care about Pre-Season! :lol:

With no Kings, nor Dodgers, I'm so hard up, I watch every second of it.

HeadInjury
July 12th, 2017, 10:36 PM
Lakers stage a late comeback to beat Philly 103-102. Really sloppy game. Some horrible sequences.

Story of the night was Ball, who found his shot in the second half and scored 36 points. He attacked the basket and Philly's interior defense was terrible. Also 11 assists. His long passes are really exceptional.

Zubac finally showed up, with 21 points, including the gaming winning free throws. His game is still a mess nonetheless.

Kuzma looked good with 13 points and 12 rebounds.

Lakers play again tomorrow. Still in contention for the summer league title.

TooCool
July 13th, 2017, 12:01 PM
Lakers stage a late comeback to beat Philly 103-102. Really sloppy game. Some horrible sequences.

Story of the night was Ball, who found his shot in the second half and scored 36 points. He attacked the basket and Philly's interior defense was terrible. Also 11 assists. His long passes are really exceptional.

Zubac finally showed up, with 21 points, including the gaming winning free throws. His game is still a mess nonetheless.

Kuzma looked good with 13 points and 12 rebounds.

Lakers play again tomorrow. Still in contention for the summer league title.

Thanks again for the report.

Funny how the news/media only talked about Lonzo's 36 points. That make no mention of Kuzma, Zubac, or anyone else. Lovely.

And being in contention for the Summer League title.. :lol:

HeadInjury
July 13th, 2017, 01:39 PM
Lakers sign Alex Caruso to a two-way contract. It's similar to NHL two-way contracts, except Lakers are only permitted to have 2 such contracts and two-way players cannot spend more than 45 days on the pro roster.

HeadInjury
July 14th, 2017, 12:10 PM
Didn't see the game last night but Ball with another triple double in the Lakers' win. From the recaps I've heard he really didn't have that great of a game. Lots of turnovers apparently. Kuzma with another 20 point game. Lakers play in the quarterfinals on Saturday.

FortyFour
July 15th, 2017, 11:26 PM
Far cry from his first game. You can see the confidence now. Hopefully it translates to the regular season.

TooCool
July 17th, 2017, 10:40 AM
Far cry from his first game. You can see the confidence now. Hopefully it translates to the regular season.

That's all we can hope for.

HeadInjury
July 17th, 2017, 03:35 PM
Ball is out for tonight's finale with a calf strain. It's not serious.

HeadInjury
July 17th, 2017, 10:00 PM
Lakers beat Portland for the Summer League title. (When's the parade?) Kuzma with 30 and 10 for the finals game MVP. Ball with the overall league MVP. Averaged the most assists in Summer League history.

Kuzma looks really good. Something like 11-17 from the 3 in the last couple of games.

CIrvine
July 19th, 2017, 05:49 PM
Is he related to Nora Kuzma?

HeadInjury
July 19th, 2017, 09:58 PM
I knew a cousin of hers when I was younger. Suffice it to say that the family wasn't particularly pleased with her notoriety back then.

HeadInjury
July 21st, 2017, 09:39 PM
NBA kind of blowing up today as Kyrie Irving asked the Cavs to trade him.

FortyFour
July 22nd, 2017, 07:12 AM
LeBron can fix that by telling Kyrie he will be leaving for LA in the offseason.

mrm55
July 22nd, 2017, 08:14 PM
Here's an interesting article that connects the dots to the Lakers getting LeBron.

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2017/7/22/16015164/la-lakers-free-agency-rumors-lebron-james-trade-kyrie-irving-paul-george-lonzo-ball-brandon-ingram

MaxwellSmart
July 24th, 2017, 03:21 PM
This is pretty cool

http://i.cdn.turner.com/drp/nba/lakers/sites/default/files/styles/story_main_photo/public/170724-larry.jpg?itok=M2XP8pFy

14 Years Later: Larry Nance Jr., Soldier Pen Pal Reconnect
http://www.nba.com/lakers/news/170724-larry-nance-jr-pen-pal?cid=tw

HeadInjury
July 25th, 2017, 03:27 PM
Lakers re-sign Tyler Ennis to a minimum contract with a team option for a second year. Assuming they sign Thomas Bryant, there is one roster spot left and the Lakers still have their Room Exception left at $4.3 million.

HeadInjury
July 27th, 2017, 05:51 PM
As expected, the Lakers signed second round pick Thomas Bryant to a contract, with the second year being a team option. He was an excellent pick at #42. (http://letsgokings.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=42.)

Summer camp invitee PJ Dozier signed with Dallas. There really wasn't room for him and his injury during summer league didn't help his chances.

Looks like the Lakers will be standing pat and leave their final roster spot open, either to see if someone else gets waived or to let a number of players fight it out in camp.

HeadInjury
October 5th, 2017, 01:24 PM
Well preseason has started and the Lakers are 0-3. Haven't caught any games, but nothing to get worked up about. For example, Lopez, Bogut, Ball and Ingram didn't play last night. Ball has a twisted ankle. People are raving over how well Kuzma is playing. Leading scorer off the bench so far.

After signing Bogut, the 15-man roster is pretty much locked up. The scrubs are fighting for the second two-contract or hoping to be picked up by what I think now is called the South Bay Lakers instead of the D-Fenders.

mrm55
October 7th, 2017, 04:20 PM
PHOENIX (AP) — Connie Hawkins, basketball’s dazzling New York playground legend who soared and swooped his way to the Hall of Fame, has died. He was 75.

The most exciting player I've seen in 55 years. Was a Laker for awhile. To me he was more exciting than Dr. J and Michael combined. You literally would hold your breath when he had the ball. The ball was way behind his back, his long arms stretched out, holding it so far away, no one could get to it. It looked like a baseball in his gigantic hands. You could see him plotting how he was going to overwhelm anyone who got in his way to a swooping, thunderous dunk. I even loved watching him on other teams, and that is a rarity for me.

http://www.ocregister.com/2017/10/07/dazzling-basketball-great-connie-hawkins-dies-at-75-2-2/

HeadInjury
October 19th, 2017, 11:09 PM
Lakers lose the season opener to the Clippers by 16. The final score is misleading, as the Lakers were behind by 30 at one point. They looked absolutely terrible. Lopez had his obligatory 20 points, but he and the rest of the team can't play defense. Ball rebounded well, but that was it.

TooCool
October 20th, 2017, 04:05 AM
I swear Luke is still trying to lose or something.

- Why isn't Kuzma and Randle riding the pine? They deserve more playing time.
- I didn't like what I saw from Brook Lopez. Sure he still managed 20 points but most of the time he was shooting bricks which allowed the Clips to score with ease when they got the ball.
- Ingram also had a really bad game which is a shame to see.
- Surprised that Lonzo Ball played so passive. He grabbed a bunch of rebounds but didn't seem to do much on offense.
- Bogut, Deng, and Brewer are trash players. Not sure how they fell off so quickly in their careers.

It was an ugly game and it's the same unwatchable Lakers.

ucsdguy1
October 20th, 2017, 10:15 AM
I swear Luke is still trying to lose or something.

- Why isn't Kuzma and Randle riding the pine? They deserve more playing time.
- I didn't like what I saw from Brook Lopez. Sure he still managed 20 points but most of the time he was shooting bricks which allowed the Clips to score with ease when they got the ball.
- Ingram also had a really bad game which is a shame to see.
- Surprised that Lonzo Ball played so passive. He grabbed a bunch of rebounds but didn't seem to do much on offense.
- Bogut, Deng, and Brewer are trash players. Not sure how they fell off so quickly in their careers.

It was an ugly game and it's the same unwatchable Lakers.
That looked worse than unwatchable. They didn't deserve to be on the same court.

Is Patrick Beverly that good?

TooCool
October 20th, 2017, 11:03 PM
Yay! We're 1-1.

HeadInjury
October 23rd, 2017, 12:25 PM
Lakers lost last night to the Pelicans 119-112. I watched part of the first half and it was just as bad as the first game against the Clippers. Had given up almost 50 points three minutes into the second quarter. I turned it off with the Lakers down 20. They apparently got their act together in the second half and made a game out of it.

HeadInjury
October 26th, 2017, 11:49 AM
Nice overtime win for the Lakers last night against Washington. I turned it on in the 4th with the Lakers down 10 and they got it into overtime and played some defense down the stretch to win it. Randle was in beast mode.

TooCool
October 26th, 2017, 12:04 PM
Nice overtime win for the Lakers last night against Washington. I turned it on in the 4th with the Lakers down 10 and they got it into overtime and played some defense down the stretch to win it. Randle was in beast mode.

It was a heck of a comeback :) While I agree with you that Randle was in beast mode, I thought Ingram really carried the team in the 4th.

Nice little wins like this helps. Especially since the Wizards were 3-0.

HeadInjury
November 5th, 2017, 10:07 PM
Lakers beat Memphis to improve to 5-5. I turned it on with the Lakers up 22 toward the end of the 3rd. The rest of the game was ugly. Memphis had a chance to tie it in the closing moments but the Lakers held on.

MaxwellSmart
November 21st, 2017, 09:25 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DPGlOSWUMAASE9G.jpg:large

HeadInjury
November 22nd, 2017, 08:25 AM
Lakers beat the Bulls and improved to 8-10. Kuzma, Randle and Ingram are playing well. As of right now, LA actually has the last playoff spot in the west and is ahead of Memphis and OKC (although just barely), as well as Utah and the Clippers.

TooCool
November 22nd, 2017, 02:07 PM
Lakers beat the Bulls and improved to 8-10. Kuzma, Randle and Ingram are playing well. As of right now, LA actually has the last playoff spot in the west and is ahead of Memphis and OKC (although just barely), as well as Utah and the Clippers.

Surprised to see the Clips at 5-11 when they started the season 4-0.

HeadInjury
November 22nd, 2017, 02:45 PM
Surprised to see the Clips at 5-11 when they started the season 4-0.

Whether it's his fault or not, I think Doc's days are numbered.

But in a way, even if his coaching is not the problem, it is his fault because he pretty much failed as a GM.

HeadInjury
December 11th, 2017, 05:57 PM
In Laker related nutjob news, after pulling his second son, LiAngelo, out of UCLA and his third son, LaMelo, out of high school, LaVar Ball has gotten them signed to a low tier Lithuanian team in the Baltic League. LiAngelo is not an NBA talent and lost out on a chance for a UCLA education. LaMelo was a junior in high school and lost out on his childhood.

I'm guessing LaVar was miffed by UCLA's suspension of his son (who wasn't good enough to start there) and things spiraled downhill from there. I'm guessing UCLA is okay with the ending of the Ball saga.

TooCool
December 12th, 2017, 03:28 AM
In Laker related nutjob news, after pulling his second son, LiAngelo, out of UCLA and his third son, LaMelo, out of high school, LaVar Ball has gotten them signed to a low tier Lithuanian team in the Baltic League. LiAngelo is not an NBA talent and lost out on a chance for a UCLA education. LaMelo was a junior in high school and lost out on his childhood.

I'm guessing LaVar was miffed by UCLA's suspension of his son (who wasn't good enough to start there) and things spiraled downhill from there. I'm guessing UCLA is okay with the ending of the Ball saga.

Looks like it's up to Lonzo to support his brothers with the money he'll make as a Laker.

MaxwellSmart
December 14th, 2017, 04:08 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DPiUAjIVwAANvvB.jpg

HeadInjury
January 6th, 2018, 02:05 PM
Lakers lost their 9th in a row and 12 out of 13 last night to Charlotte. During this span they had two spirited losses to Golden State and played an exciting 2OT game against Houston.

Most of this streak they were short players, including Lonzo and Lopez at times. They are healthy now.

Since the Houston game, the team is getting blown out. Kuzma has hit the wall. It's hard for a college player to adjust to the NBA schedule. And he's playing against men. So no shame there. He will adjust.

The Lakers waived Bogut today. It's as much to let him move on to a playoff team as anything else. Bogut did not shine, but he was okay defensively. And the Lakers have cratered defensively.

Lakers are worst in the West and 1 game from the worst record in the league. This is a transition year, but this nosedive will hurt with recruiting free agents. Aside from their recent defensive woes (they started the season as one of the better defensive teams), this team can't shoot, can't make free throws and commit too many turnovers.

I'm not on the blame Luke bandwagon, but this does not look like a well coached team.

Tough decision coming up with Randle. Can't expect them to max him, so I could see him being traded by the deadline. Then again, if the free agents don't come, we'll be even worse next year without him.

But if they can trade him and Clarkson (for cap reasons), they might be able to get some decent picks/assets back.

Claw21
January 13th, 2018, 01:16 PM
Wow, Lonzo Ball can't shoot. I havent watched many Laker games this season but I've heard of his shooting problems. Ouch.

TooCool
January 13th, 2018, 06:20 PM
Wow, Lonzo Ball can't shoot. I havent watched many Laker games this season but I've heard of his shooting problems. Ouch.

Yep, his release is butt ugly. He really needs to change it up in the off-season.

Claw21
January 15th, 2018, 04:48 PM
So I've watched about 20 minutes of Lakers/Grizzlies game. No Ingram or Ball. Teams looks like a D league team. Clarkson looks bad. Randle looks blah. Lopez looks like a beer league goof. They can go bye bye.

Claw21
January 15th, 2018, 05:29 PM
So far in the 3rd quarter Randle and clarkson are a combined 4 of 17 from the field. In a game where you'd expect them to step up in the absence of Ingram/Ball to really show their worth, they flop instead. No wonder Lakers want to get rid of these 2 goofs.

HeadInjury
January 16th, 2018, 02:50 PM
Lonzo's shooting % is improving somewhat.

I think Clarkson gets traded.

My guess is they might hold on to Randle. It's hard to believe they are going to hold on to the 2 max free agents fantasy and get rid of both Randle and Clarkson.

HeadInjury
January 24th, 2018, 08:30 PM
Lakers beat the Celtics last night for their 3rd win in a row and 7th out of their last 9. Tried their best to blow it with 10 missed free throws in the 4th, but the Celtics missed their final shot.

Kuzma was on fire with 28 points, including 17 in the 4th.

Winning without Ball is a good sign.

HeadInjury
January 29th, 2018, 05:07 PM
Clippers trade Blake Griffin to Detroit. Also looking to trade DeAndre Jordan and Lou Williams. So basically Jerry West is going for a complete rebuild. Expect Doc Rivers to be gone after this season too.

HeadInjury
February 6th, 2018, 01:33 PM
Rather amazingly, Lakers have been fined a second time for tampering. This time the fine was for $50,000 for Magic making positive comments in an interview about the Bucks' Giannis Antetokounmpo.

HeadInjury
February 8th, 2018, 10:45 AM
Lakers traded Clarkson and Larry Nance Jr. to Cleveland for Isiah Thomas, Channing Frye and Cleveland's 1st round pick.

The Cleveland players are in the final year of their contracts.

Thomas became a cancer in the locker room and the Cavs had to get rid of him. Worst defensive player in the NBA this year too.

So Lakers get salary cap relief and a 1st. Losing Nance is tough, but with Randle and Kuzma playing so well he's a piece we can afford to lose.

Edit: Have to wonder whether the Lakers will try to trade that 2018 pick and a future first rounder to a team willing to take Deng. That would clear enough space to sign two max players and keep Randle.

Also, the Cavs just helped the Lakers get cap space for LeBron. He's definitely leaving Cleveland and his wife and kids live here already. Paul George said yesterday that coming to LA is still very much a possibility. If we were to get George and LeBron, there would be no room for Clarkson and Nance anyway. Pretty big "if" I know, but if that happens this trade will go down as having one of the greatest impacts in team history.

HeadInjury
February 8th, 2018, 11:23 PM
A depleted Lakers blew out a depleted OKC by 25. Fans were chanting "We want George". 4th win in a row and the 12th in their last 16. 5.5 games out of the last playoff spot.

HeadInjury
March 2nd, 2018, 10:29 AM
Lakers have one 4 in a row. Randle is in pure beast mode. Lonzo is back. Team is a little shorthanded as Hart fractured his hand, Channing Frye has been out following appendicitis and Cory Brewer was bought out. Zubac is now getting regular minutes and playing well.

TooCool
March 2nd, 2018, 01:26 PM
Lakers have one 4 in a row. Randle is in pure beast mode. Lonzo is back. Team is a little shorthanded as Hart fractured his hand, Channing Frye has been out following appendicitis and Cory Brewer was bought out. Zubac is now getting regular minutes and playing well.

Surprisingly they're playing quite well. Crazy to say but we're only 6 games back from the final playoff spot. Granted, in the NBA the #8 (http://letsgokings.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=8) seed is pointless because usually 1 and 2 make the NBA Finals but I'd like to see the boys get some playoff experience, even if it means a easy sweep for Houston or GS.

HeadInjury
March 2nd, 2018, 02:26 PM
Surprisingly they're playing quite well. Crazy to say but we're only 6 games back from the final playoff spot. Granted, in the NBA the #8 (http://letsgokings.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=8) seed is pointless because usually 1 and 2 make the NBA Finals but I'd like to see the boys get some playoff experience, even if it means a easy sweep for Houston or GS.

They will have to pass three teams and all those teams have been playing over .500 ball recently, so it will be extremely tough. Probably would need to go 18-3 to have a real shot. They are 12-5 in their last 17. A lot of those were without Lonzo.

HeadInjury
March 11th, 2018, 09:41 PM
Lakers blow out Cleveland in the 4th quarter to win 127-113. Randle with a career high 36 points.

Lakers own Cleveland's first round pick. Right now Cleveland has the 7th best record in the league, but 7 teams are within 1 game of them in the loss column. Another 2 are within 2 games and another 2 are within 3 games. With Cleveland struggling again, a pick in the high teens is a real possibility.

Lakers are 11-1 in their last 12 games at home. 30-36 now overall. But for that awful 0-9 stretch, they's be right in the playoff hunt.

TooCool
March 11th, 2018, 10:09 PM
Lakers are 11-1 in their last 12 games at home. 30-36 now overall. But for that awful 0-9 stretch, they's be right in the playoff hunt.

That's impressive. 11-1 in their last 12 at home.

ucsdguy1
March 12th, 2018, 11:08 AM
"Yo Bron, you know you want to come here with PG and join this."

"Re-sign Randle first yo"

HeadInjury
March 12th, 2018, 01:40 PM
Randle has definitely earned a big contract. He's going to get $15 mil or more per season.

Only way to get Paul George and LBJ, and keep Randle, is to trade Deng, then sign George and LBJ and then re-sign Randle. If they sign Randle first, they won't have cap space to sign sign the other two guys. They can go over the cap to re-sign Randle since they own his rights.

Much harder to figure out cap space in the NBA since they have a soft cap, not a hard cap like in the NHL. Also have to deal with things like cap holds and such.

Interesting thing about Brook Lopez. If he agrees to a one-year deal at the mid-level exemption (less than $5 million), the Lakers will still own his Bird rights and then can re-sign him the following year for much more. They may have the same option with Isiah Thomas, although I doubt he would consider it with his injury history.

HeadInjury
March 23rd, 2018, 10:55 AM
Lakers lost their 4th straight last night. The team is without Ingram and Hart. Lonzo is struggling, shooting an insanely bad 1-12 from the three last night. Yet the Lakers nearly beat a solid New Orleans squad, blowing a 10 point lead in the 4th to lose by 3.

3 of the 4 losses have been to teams within striking distance of Cleveland in the standings. In a way, we can look at it as stealth tanking. The Lakers don't have any of their own picks this year so it's irrelevant where they finish in the standings. Right now Cleveland's pick with be at #25 (http://letsgokings.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=25) or so, but there are 8 teams behind Cleveland by 2 games or less in the standings.

HeadInjury
April 11th, 2018, 09:23 AM
Lakers will play their final game of the season tonight against he Clippers. They have been limping to the finish line due to injuries to Ingram, Ball, Thomas and now Kuzma.

Feel good story last night with Andre Ingram playing in his first NBA game at the age of 32. He is shooting lights out from the 3 in the the G League making something insane like 58% of his corner 3s. Last night in a loss to Houston he scored 19 points on 6-8 shooting including 4-5 from the 3. Crowd was loving it.

Looks like the Lakers will end up with the 25th pick in the draft from Cleveland and Denver's second round pick will end up in the late 40s.

LA has improved 8 games over last season with 1 left to play. That's misleading as injuries have probably stopped them from winning 4 or 5 more games down the stretch. It's been a good season in terms of the future outlook. Jury is still out on Ball, but Randle, Kuzma and Ingram had solid years and Hart looks like a keeper too.

TooCool
April 11th, 2018, 03:32 PM
Well, at least they got close to .500... sorta. Get a nice free agent signing in the summer and we should be good to go. Get back in the playoffs and go from there.

ucsdguy1
April 11th, 2018, 04:43 PM
Give Andre Ingram a 5 year deal now!

TooCool
April 11th, 2018, 04:58 PM
Give Andre Ingram a 5 year deal now!

He'll be set for life and well deserved too lol

HeadInjury
April 11th, 2018, 05:16 PM
Well, at least they got close to .500... sorta. Get a nice free agent signing in the summer and we should be good to go. Get back in the playoffs and go from there.

With health and a top free agent like Paul George, for example, this is a playoff team.

I would prefer just adding one max free agent and continuing to build, but if LeBron is willing to come they undoubtedly will do whatever is needed to get him too.

Kings7
April 22nd, 2018, 11:53 PM
With health and a top free agent like Paul George, for example, this is a playoff team.

I would prefer just adding one max free agent and continuing to build, but if LeBron is willing to come they undoubtedly will do whatever is needed to get him too.

Maybe a playoff team, depends on how they mesh. I like Randle, hopefully he stays. I can do with or without Lebron, he would be great for business, that's a guarantee. You want to see PG13 get dumped by Utah so he has little desire to stay in OKC. And I think Jazz win this series no prob.

Lonzo needs to work on his shot big time. I won't be surprised if he gets bought out end of next year if he doesn't improve shooting. Dude is 45% from the free throw line, and somehow gets a pass. No way you can build a legit team with a PG who can't even knock down 50% from the line. Lots of stat padding with his rebounding in particular.

Curious to see what happens with DMC, what kind of contract he gets and from whom. Pelicans don't need him apparently.

HeadInjury
April 24th, 2018, 04:01 PM
DMC had plenty of issues before tearing his Achilles. I don't think they will go after him. I think they will try to sign Lopez to the MLE as they would retain his Birds rights and can offer him a lot more a year later.

With OKC down 3-1 and looking like a mess, I think our chances of landing PG13 have increased. I wouldn't refuse to sign LeBron if he wanted to come, but I am not hoping he ends up here. If they sign PG13 and re-sign Randle, I'll be happy. PG13 isn't a ball hog, plays multiple positions and can actually play defense. Skipping the second max free agent also means they won't have to give up multiple 1st round picks to get Deng off the books. They can continue to draft, which is a strength, and let the young players develop. They will then be able to go after Leonard or another free agent in 2019. They will also have amassed enough assets to try to pull a trade.

HeadInjury
April 27th, 2018, 11:17 PM
OKC eliminated tonight. Ridiculous no call on a PG13 3-point attempt that could have tied the game. PG13 had a terrible game though.

LeBron and the Cavs were blown out by the Pacers to force a game 7.

Kings7
April 28th, 2018, 03:26 AM
OKC eliminated tonight. Ridiculous no call on a PG13 3-point attempt that could have tied the game. PG13 had a terrible game though.

LeBron and the Cavs were blown out by the Pacers to force a game 7.

I think it was a "Good No Call" on the 3pt shot by PG13. Even though he was clearly fouled, seemed like he was looking to draw contact. I actually love that no foul was called. Horrible night for him, yeah, and had many TO as well. What a great performance by Donovan Mitchell though, this kid is a great story, I would give him ROY.

I don't expect LAL to give up enough to trade for Kawhi. Magic/Rob are swinging for the fences now, so they will wait until 2019 to make their pitch. I'm not getting my hopes up too high for this offseason. I'd be really happy landing PG13, but won't be shocked if it turns out to be an uneventful Summer.

Mitchell dropped 38 tonight. Damn.

HeadInjury
April 29th, 2018, 08:39 PM
He was definitely trying to draw contact, but I've seen the same play called a foul countless times.

Kings7
May 1st, 2018, 11:20 PM
He was definitely trying to draw contact, but I've seen the same play called a foul countless times.

Had it been regular season, likely would be called a foul. I'm glad to see they "let 'em play" during playoffs. If I had been rooting for OKC I might feel differently.

TooCool
May 2nd, 2018, 04:15 PM
It's a text book foul but you know how NBA refs are. They swallow their whistles when it's convenient.

HeadInjury
May 28th, 2018, 09:31 PM
I think the Finals will be about as one-sided as can be imagined. The Cavs got in the Finals in part due to LeBron, but also the Celtics being without Irving and Hayward. I haven't been watching the conference finals before the Games 7, but the Celtics - Cavs game was truly horrible basketball. ESPN raved about LeBron, but it wasn't so much LeBron being great, but the other players being so awful. Cleveland only played 8 players, 2 of those under 10 minutes. Cleveland is so lacking in depth that it can't even afford to play its bench because those players would be completely exposed. LeBron played 48 minutes.

The Warriors are starting to look like the second half of the Showtime Lakers. Just doing what it takes to win, nothing more.

TooCool
May 28th, 2018, 09:58 PM
I think the Finals will be about as one-sided as can be imagined. The Cavs got in the Finals in part due to LeBron, but also the Celtics being without Irving and Hayward. I haven't been watching the conference finals before the Games 7, but the Celtics - Cavs game was truly horrible basketball. ESPN raved about LeBron, but it wasn't so much LeBron being great, but the other players being so awful. Cleveland only played 8 players, 2 of those under 10 minutes. Cleveland is so lacking in depth that it can't even afford to play its bench because those players would be completely exposed. LeBron played 48 minutes.

The Warriors are starting to look like the second half of the Showtime Lakers. Just doing what it takes to win, nothing more.

The WCF was pretty much the NBA Finals.

HeadInjury
June 15th, 2018, 02:29 PM
Woj reporting that Kawhi Leonard wants to be traded to LA, preferably the Lakers. He is a free agent after one more year so San Antonio doesn't have a lot of leverage.

One interesting thing about this is that Luol Deng would in all likelihood have to be included in such a deal to make the $$$ work out. Something like Ball, Deng and picks for Leonard.

I think they would have to renounce Randle (and everyone else) if they wanted to sign both George and LeBron and make this trade. They could potentially re-sign Brook Lopez to the mid-level exception.

PG: Who knows, maybe Ingram
SG: George, Hart
SF: Leonard
PF: LeBron, Kuz
C: Lopez, Thomas

The rest would have to be veterans signing up at the veteran exemption.

TooCool
June 17th, 2018, 03:04 PM
All I'm hoping for is that if we do get Lebron, George, and Leonard I hope we can keep Kuzma, Ingram, and Randle. Everyone else is free to GTFO.

ucsdguy1
June 18th, 2018, 05:06 PM
Apparently Lebron's kid hasn't actually enrolled at Sierra Canyon, but is also looking at Crossroads and one or two others. But in LA. Come on, be the dad who wants to always be around..

I really don't think Kuzma, Ingram and Randle all stay if they can somehow get San Antonio to even think about trading him to LA. Unless Magic and Pelinka can really work that leverage aspect, and for lack of a better term, work their magic.

Lonzo's dad...."Lebron can't teach Lonzo anything". ditto that last part TooCool said.

Also from Stephen A Smith today (take that for what you will):

According to Stephen A. Smith and his "sources", Chris Paul has started telling people that LeBron James isn't trying to come to Houston because he wants to be in Los Angeles.

HeadInjury
June 19th, 2018, 11:39 AM
All I'm hoping for is that if we do get Lebron, George, and Leonard I hope we can keep Kuzma, Ingram, and Randle. Everyone else is free to GTFO.

Impossible to get Lebron, George and Leonard and keep Randle. Randle has a cap hold of over $12 million. Lakers would have to renounce Randle's rights in order to to get all three of the others, or perhaps trade him.

Edit: Found this explanation on lakersground.net

Rules to Create a Summer 2018 George/Kawhi/Lebron Team

The requirements of a summer 2018 trade for Kawhi Leonard, if you also want to sign Lebron and George to max deals in summer 2018 (assuming neither will take a pay cut) -

1. You must salary dump Deng or include him in the trade;
2. You must waive your rights to Julius Randle or include him in the trade via sign/trade;
3. You must also trade at least one of Ball and/or Ingram, thus must include in your trade one of the following three scenarios:

A. Trade both Ball and Ingram;
B. Trade Ingram, but not Ball (this then requires that you must also include at least FOUR of #25 (http://letsgokings.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=25) pick, Zubac, Bryant, Hart and Kuzma in order to ensure we have enough cap space left); OR
C. Trade Ball, but not Ingram (this then requires that you must also include at least TWO of #25 (http://letsgokings.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=25) pick, Zubac, Bryant, Hart and Kuzma in order to ensure we have enough cap space left to sign George/PG).

HeadInjury
June 20th, 2018, 11:11 PM
Lakers acquire the 39th pick in the draft from Philly in exchange for the Chicago Bulls 2nd round pick in 2019 and cash.

Might be planning to use it and the 25th pick to move up in the draft, or perhaps planning to trade the first rounder away.

ucsdguy1
June 21st, 2018, 09:28 AM
Lakers acquire the 39th pick in the draft from Philly in exchange for the Chicago Bulls 2nd round pick in 2019 and cash.

Might be planning to use it and the 25th pick to move up in the draft, or perhaps planning to trade the first rounder away.
They must really want Omari Spellman or Rodions Kurucs!

Who are we kidding they'll take Liangelo at 39...

HeadInjury
June 21st, 2018, 10:09 PM
Lakers draft Mo Wagner (6' 11" - Michigan), Isaac Bonga! (6'10" Euro) and Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk (6' 8" - Kansas). Wagner is German, as is Bonga. Bonga will stay in Europe. Rumor is the Lakers drafted Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk just to mess with the announcers. He's an outside shooter.

Also signed undrafted Kansas guard Malik Newman to a two-way contract. Another outside shooter.

Some Wagner highlights here: https://twitter.com/Carrastealth/status/1010008420089393152

HeadInjury
June 22nd, 2018, 01:36 PM
In what should be unsurprising news, LiAngelo Ball will not be on the Lakers' summer league team.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23874989/los-angeles-lakers-tell-liangelo-ball-summer-league-team

TooCool
June 22nd, 2018, 02:05 PM
They must really want Omari Spellman or Rodions Kurucs!

Who are we kidding they'll take Liangelo at 39...

So glad they didn't take Liangelo.

ucsdguy1
June 22nd, 2018, 02:28 PM
So glad they didn't take Liangelo.
and no summer league invite. You know Lavar is seething.

Let's hope he doesn't say anything publicly over the next week or two to anger PG or Lebron.

HeadInjury
June 27th, 2018, 09:24 PM
Rumor is that Lakers and Spurs were engaged today in trade talks for Leonard.

ucsdguy1
June 28th, 2018, 10:50 AM
And Stephen A Smith saying this morning Lebron texted KD to come here as a free agent? Come on now.

HeadInjury
June 28th, 2018, 11:42 AM
It's all clickbait stuff around this time.

Woj (who is credible) says the Lakers have offered Ingram and a 1st rounder, but the Spurs want more. Given that Leonard walks in a year and Ingram is a good young player under a good contract for 3 more years, that offer seems fair. If the Lakers intend to go the James, George, Leonard route, they could include a sign and trade with Randall to make the math work out. Impossible to keep Randle if all 3 are coming. But would still have to find a taker for Deng. So from the Lakers standpoint, they'd want it to be Leonard for Ingram, Deng and a 1st. No way the Spurs want Deng's contract. So maybe need to find a third team to take Deng and maybe Spurs agree to take on an expiring contract from that third team.

ucsdguy1
June 28th, 2018, 01:21 PM
It's all clickbait stuff around this time.

Woj (who is credible) says the Lakers have offered Ingram and a 1st rounder, but the Spurs want more. Given that Leonard walks in a year and Ingram is a good young player under a good contract for 3 more years, that offer seems fair. If the Lakers intend to go the James, George, Leonard route, they could include a sign and trade with Randall to make the math work out. Impossible to keep Randle if all 3 are coming. But would still have to find a taker for Deng. So from the Lakers standpoint, they'd want it to be Leonard for Ingram, Deng and a 1st. No way the Spurs want Deng's contract. So maybe need to find a third team to take Deng and maybe Spurs agree to take on an expiring contract from that third team.
Man, Ingram and a 1st. I like Ingram a lot, but that for Leonard?? I'd do it, but that just screams of San Antonio wanting more. You really have to push the "he's a free agent in a year and was injured" angle and prove it's the best offer you'll get.

HeadInjury
June 30th, 2018, 01:39 PM
Later reports suggest that it's Ingram the Spurs covet, but he has not necessarily been offered by the Lakers.

There is speculation that Paul George is going to stay in OKC. If so, there isn't as much pressure on the Lakers to do anything. Wait to see what Lebron does. No reason to trade for Leonard now when you can just sign him next year for free, particularly if Lebron and PG13 aren't coming.

Another rumor has us trading Deng to Denver in return for about $34 million in expiring contracts (Kenneth Faried, Wilson Chandler and Darrell Arthur) and a 1st rounder. Then would flip Faried's expiring contract to the Spurs as part of an Ingram trade for Leonard. The Spurs want nothing to do with Deng's contract. Denver supposedly willing to do the deal as they are trying to get out of the luxury tax. Lakers could probably find a taker for Chandler if they throw in the first rounder. Then could buyout Arthur's $7.4 million contract, which is much less of a cap hit that buying out and stretching Deng over 5 years.

Lakers have decided to guarantee Zubac's contract, which might be because they want to keep him or just want to include him in a trade. Tyler Ennis has been waived. Still have to decide what to do with Thomas Bryant.

Edit: Bryant has now been released. Possible they might try to bring him back for less. You have to presume they need the $1.3 million in cap space for other purposes.

HeadInjury
June 30th, 2018, 09:59 PM
Paul George commits to stay with OKC according to Woj.

The silver lining here is IF Lebron comes, the Lakers will have enough cap space to get some veteran players to join on one-year deals without having to trade away any young players. Won't be forced to give up multiple picks to get some team to take Deng. Then will be in a position to sign Leonard next season without giving up any of the young talent. In one year Deng becomes an expiring contract that is easier to move.

TooCool
July 1st, 2018, 06:21 PM
4 years, 154 million for Lebron.

Now he has a chance to really cement his legacy if he can get the Lakers back on top of the mountain.

Dexter
July 1st, 2018, 06:23 PM
Is this where I pretend to know basketballs and love the Lakers now?