PDA

View Full Version : MLB: The Official 2017 and now 2018 Angels Thread

Melfice
July 5th, 2017, 11:08 AM
Yes, I forgot to make the thread this spring haha, but does it really matter anyways? The Angels still suck in 2017 :(

TooCool
July 5th, 2017, 12:58 PM
We were using the 2016 thread =P

Honestly I expected the suckage since there was no improvements made to the team. But at the same time, very surprised that we're like 1 game under .500 considering Trout has been out for 6 weeks now. They're not very good but they're fighting.

We're only 2.5 games out of the Wild Card spot :) That's a win in my book. lol

Melfice
July 5th, 2017, 02:05 PM
Oh I should had checked the old thread then! You make good points my friend, but the Angels farm system is pretty weak right now :(

I don't see them improving anytime soon, and those bad contracts sure don't help the cause either haha

Ice24
July 5th, 2017, 03:26 PM
When the Angels are playing, I have a hard time figuring out what team the announcers are talking about. I don't know many players on the Angels roster anymore.

RockPile
July 6th, 2017, 09:42 AM
Oh I should had checked the old thread then! You make good points my friend, but the Angels farm system is pretty weak right now :(

I don't see them improving anytime soon, and those bad contracts sure don't help the cause either haha

We now have seen Eppler conduct two potentially excellent drafts with a proper approach that discards Dipoto's horrible high floor, low ceiling (safe) approach. I'm especially excited about 2017 2nd rounder Griffin Canning (UCLA) who would have been a mid 1st rounder had concerns about the manner in which UCLA used him not caused him to drop into the 2nd rd. My guess is that we'll see Canning in an Angels Uniform faster than anyone from the 16 or 17 drafts. Everything I've seen from Eppler makes sense in the light of building a consistent contender while not exceeding financial constraints (luxury tax, draft, int'l). It's just that it takes a lot of time to build from ground zero with bad contract baggage.

Some more silver lining: something like 68m is coming off the payroll at the end of this season including Hamilton's contract. Now among that 68m are guys that they will want to re-sign, like Maybin and possibly Escobar (unless they are going to go all in with Cowart). The bullpen will need a minimum of 5m of that money. Obviously, starting pitching is still a huge concern because so many guys are a question mark in terms of health (Richards, Skaggs, Heany, Tropeano) and development (Meyer, Middleton, Bridwell).

Things I'd like to see:
-I'd like for them to sign Maybin and buy out an arb year of Maldonado and give him a 3/4 year deal.
-Dump Espinosa and Valbuena at the deadline even if they have to eat 70% of the contracts. Valbuena more than Espinosa because Val has another year at 8m on the books.
-I'd like to see them go after a starter a cut or two above the journeyman type in free agency because no way are all the rehabbing starters going to pitch a full season.
-Mostly, I'd like to see them go with 13 pitchers the entire season unless they have 4 SOLID starters. They really do have to start embracing shorter starts for their pitchers with injury history and those who are only effective the first 2 times through the order, which is almost the entire staff. It will pay more dividends than having 1 more bad hitter for MS to play lefty/righty matchup with.

Eppler makes the future bright. Hopefully they become legit contenders before Trout's contract year but even if he does sign elsewhere I believe that Arte has found the right GM and learned his lesson about getting involved in the front office decisions.

RockPile
July 6th, 2017, 09:57 AM
When the Angels are playing, I have a hard time figuring out what team the announcers are talking about. I don't know many players on the Angels roster anymore.

Don't sweat it. Next year Trout and Simmons will have their name on their jersey. Everyone else:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3048/2554692075_bd3cca9c2e_o.jpg

beedee
July 6th, 2017, 11:48 AM
Does anyone else here catch flack or get questioned by people on how we can be Kings fans but not Ducks fans, but be Angels fans?

TooCool
July 6th, 2017, 12:06 PM
Does anyone else here catch flack or get questioned by people on how we can be Kings fans but not Ducks fans, but be Angels fans?

Doesn't seem like it.

The majority of Halo fans I know grew up in the OC and that was before they got the Ducks. So naturally they were Angels fans and then Kings fans. I also know a bunch of Angels/Lakers fan for similar reasons as well.

For me personally, when I got into baseball in 1999, I tried watching both the Angels and Dodgers and always found the Angels more fun to watch compared to the Dodgers. I guess you can say I prefer AL over NL by a mile. Of course, thanks to the World Series win in 2002 that really made me pumped that I made the right choice. =P

Even when you go to Angels stadium, there are a good amount of people who wears Kings stuff too so it's no big deal to me. I'll get the occasional "Go Ducks" when I'm there but whatever right?

RockPile
July 6th, 2017, 12:32 PM

Yes. Many of my Kings fan buddies are also Dodger fans and to them it's a package deal. I grew up in Orange County so I was an Angel fan from my childhood. When I started to be interested in hockey, the Ducks didn't exist so naturally I was a Kings fan. Really, I'd probably have considered myself a fan of both the Dodgers and the Angels if Dodger fans didn't tend to be dicks about my Angel fandom over the years. Up until inter-league there really wasn't any real rivalry.

beedee
July 6th, 2017, 01:03 PM
I grew up in Seal Beach and went to more Angel games than Dodger games. I'd say I'm a fan of both teams, Angels being my American League team and the Dodgers being my National League team. But when they play each other, Angels all the way.

TooCool
July 6th, 2017, 01:12 PM
Yes. Many of my Kings fan buddies are also Dodger fans and to them it's a package deal. I grew up in Orange County so I was an Angel fan from my childhood. When I started to be interested in hockey, the Ducks didn't exist so naturally I was a Kings fan. Really, I'd probably have considered myself a fan of both the Dodgers and the Angels if Dodger fans didn't tend to be dicks about my Angel fandom over the years. Up until inter-league there really wasn't any real rivalry.

Funny you mentioned this. In the past, I didn't care if the Dodgers won or lost because they didn't matter to me. I didn't hate them nor did I like them. But yeah, thanks to Dodgers fans being dicks in general, I can't help but crack a smile when I see them lose. :lol: The only problem is that I know lots of Kongs fans who are Dodgers fans, so it's not like I want them to suck. They deserve some happiness too (as far as baseball goes). However, for all the other Dodgers fans who are just douches in general... nothing makes me happier than to see them choke year after year in the playoffs.

It especially bugs me when I see fans of a certain age brag about the 6 World Series titles when they haven't seen ONE in their lifetime. That's nothing to brag about. ;)

What party?
July 6th, 2017, 01:33 PM
Funny you mentioned this. In the past, I didn't care if the Dodgers won or lost because they didn't matter to me. I didn't hate them nor did I like them. But yeah, thanks to Dodgers fans being dicks in general, I can't help but crack a smile when I see them lose. :lol: The only problem is that I know lots of Kongs fans who are Dodgers fans, so it's not like I want them to suck. They deserve some happiness too (as far as baseball goes). However, for all the other Dodgers fans who are just douches in general... nothing makes me happier than to see them choke year after year in the playoffs.

It especially bugs me when I see fans of a certain age brag about the 6 World Series titles when they haven't seen ONE in their lifetime. That's nothing to brag about. ;)

Wearing the jerk label. Was at a BBQ this weekend (obviously) and someone's boyfriend/f-buddy mentioned the Angels at a table of my (drunk) friends and he did not get to finish his sentence before people started flipping him nonsense. The hate is real.

Myth: Confirmed.

Nyssa42
July 6th, 2017, 02:43 PM
if the Angels could have just one semi-decent pitcher not go to the IR it would be very helpful. Thank goodness Pujols is so bad at running....it's his motivation to hit a homer every time at bat so he can just trot around the bases! Also...Maybin is turning out to be a great addition.

TooCool
September 6th, 2017, 02:58 AM
We're 5 games over .500 and in the 2nd Wild Card spot again. And we're winning games despite the bullpen being the worst in the league. You can't win games when you're constantly giving up 9+ runs and yet the Halos are still finding a way to do it. This is nuts. We're getting hot at the right time while the Dodgers are cooling off at the wrong time. Funny how baseball works isn't it?

Dr. No
September 26th, 2017, 11:38 AM
So bummed that the Angels couldn't get that wild card spot. I thought the acquisition of Upton would make more of a difference in bating, but their pitching is just lacking too much.

Still, I bought this season what is my absolute, bar none favorite ball cap that has ever been made:

http://cdn-sportsunlimitedinc.scdn2.secure.raxcdn.com/mod_productImagesDownload/images/75-900a1v-laa-dnrd-7_mainProductImage_FullSize.jpg

Oh well....GO DODGERS!! DON'T CHOKE THIS POSTSEASON!!

TooCool
September 27th, 2017, 02:33 PM
So bummed that the Angels couldn't get that wild card spot. I thought the acquisition of Upton would make more of a difference in bating, but their pitching is just lacking too much.

Yeah, it's a shame. I liked the move they did with Phillips and Upton. It showed that they were actually kinda serious about making the playoffs. But when you have senile Scioscia at the helm, this is what happens.

Also doesn't help that Trout and Pujols both mystery decided to suck in September. I'm a huge fan of Trout and he most certainly is the best player in baseball today. But it is pretty discouraging to see his career numbers and that it drops in August and September. He needs to learn how to play a full season without going on these massive cold streaks. What annoys me is that the Angels broadcast try to defend him by saying he's "in a slump" and that pitchers are pitching him up and in. Good players need to learn how to adjust and it's sad to see that Trout can't do that.

The same with Pujols and the insane shift they put on him. If you don't make adjustments, you play right into the opponents hands.

My World Series picks this year are the Indians and Diamondbacks. Should be fun I guess. We'll see.

RockPile
October 5th, 2017, 09:56 AM

Still, I bought this season what is my absolute, bar none favorite ball cap that has ever been made:

Oh well....GO DODGERS!! DON'T CHOKE THIS POSTSEASON!!

I see you are using reverse psychology at the end there. Yeah, GO DODGERS :winky: DON'T CHOKE :winky:

Dr. No
October 5th, 2017, 10:04 AM
I see you are using reverse psychology at the end there. Yeah, GO DODGERS :winky: DON'T CHOKE :winky:

I grew up on the Dodgers, but also have a lot of respect for the Angels as they're the original LA team, and the only indigenous CA team. The other 4 are all relocated teams.

NL: Dodgers
AL: Angels

DanteHicks
October 5th, 2017, 10:17 AM

I grew up on the Dodgers, but also have a lot of respect for the Angels as they're the original LA team, and the only indigenous CA team. The other 4 are all relocated teams.

NL: Dodgers
AL: Angels

Padres were an expansion team.

Dodgers were in LA before the Angels were.

Dr. No
October 5th, 2017, 10:35 AM

All true as far as MLB goes, but I'm talking about the PCL as well.

The Los Angeles Angels have been in existence since 1892, and played in the PCL from 1903-1957.

The Padres started in the PCL in 1936 after being relocated from...I can't recall where. I think SLC? So they're a 'relocated' team as well.

EDIT:

Padres cities, historically: Sacto -> Tacoma -> Sacto -> SF -> SLC -> Hollywood -> San Diego

RockPile
October 5th, 2017, 10:43 AM

Not hating on anyone for their allegiances. Just being playful. When it comes down to it there is no good reason to follow any team. "I just like them" is a far far better reason than any individual rationalization.

DanteHicks
October 5th, 2017, 11:09 AM
I don't take any of this very seriously.

Having said that, screw the Angels and their stupid name.

Dr. No
October 5th, 2017, 11:48 AM
I don't take any of this very seriously.

Having said that, screw the Angels and their stupid name.

Gee, I hope you don't live in Los Angeles. Don't know how you could live in a city with such a stupid name.

DanteHicks
October 5th, 2017, 11:49 AM
Gee, I hope you don't live in Los Angeles. Don't know how you could live in a city with such a stupid name.

I don't live in Los Angeles and neither do the Angels. :-D

Dr. No
October 5th, 2017, 11:53 AM
I don't live in Los Angeles and neither do the Angels. :-D

True enough, but...

1903 Los Angeles Angels; 54 years before the Dodgers were relocated to L.A.
https://scontent-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/21462460_197274644146667_6381048712223772588_n.jpg ?oh=3b8975f69331061231b55ff8550e8f11&oe=5A4C9881

DanteHicks
October 5th, 2017, 11:54 AM
For the record, I would also make fun of the "San Francisco 49ers of Santa Clara," the" Brooklyn Dodgers of Los Angeles," or the "Atlanta Thrasher Jets of Winnipeg but Not the Coyotes"

RockPile
October 5th, 2017, 12:18 PM
For the record, I would also make fun of the "San Francisco 49ers of Santa Clara," the" Brooklyn Dodgers of Los Angeles," or the "Atlanta Thrasher Jets of Winnipeg but Not the Coyotes"

Such an odd thing to fixate on after all these years. You realize that it's a technical loophole so they don't get sued by the City of Anaheim right? Its not like they wanted to include of Anaheim but it was preferable in order to market themselves as part of the Los Angeles Region. I've discovered over the years that it's one of those things that doesn't bother anyone who has any kind of understanding of the legalities and marketing opportunities involved but it is a handy form of a "yo mama" joke for people who don't have any such understanding.

DanteHicks
October 5th, 2017, 12:56 PM
Such an odd thing to fixate on after all these years. You realize that it's a technical loophole so they don't get sued by the City of Anaheim right? Its not like they wanted to include of Anaheim but it was preferable in order to market themselves as part of the Los Angeles Region. I've discovered over the years that it's one of those things that doesn't bother anyone who has any kind of understanding of the legalities and marketing opportunities involved but it is a handy form of a "yo mama" joke for people who don't have any such understanding.

Not fixated, I do understand the whole story, and I don't care enough for it to *actually* bother me. You're probably pretty close with comparing it to a "yo mama" joke.

DanteHicks
October 5th, 2017, 01:01 PM
"Yo mama's favorite team's name is so dumb it takes some focus away from how stupid it is that their pitchers don't have to hit."

RockPile
October 5th, 2017, 02:11 PM
Not fixated, I do understand the whole story, and I don't care enough for it to *actually* bother me. You're probably pretty close with comparing it to a "yo mama" joke.

This is a message board so you can say what you like and claim you're not fixated and that you don't care enough for it to bother you, but the salient fact is that you are on a sub-forum of a team you apparently dislike bringing up something that occurred 12 years ago for a reasonable reason, if not one you care for and one that affects you in no way whatsoever. You don't like the Angels, cool. You don't like the AL, same thing. But coming here and playing the role you're playing has you coming across as one of "those" Dodger fans and is polar opposite to your protestation of non-fixation and non-caring. I'll not denigrate the much more horrible history of several people intricately associated with the Dodgers than any silly name change because it's not necessary to do so on a forum that is supposed to be about giving a positive outlet to our respective fan interest. I'd like to welcome you to bringing a relevant dialogue that is fitting for an Angels sub-forum. I'm willing to start over if you are.

Dr. No
October 5th, 2017, 07:06 PM

lol, awesome!

And for the record, I don't think the name Kings is any better or worse than Angels. At least Angels is the name of the city they were located in. Kings were the kings of nothing but futility for 45 years.

And thank god I'm not a fan of Wild, Jazz, or Blues. 😂

TooCool
November 2nd, 2017, 11:36 AM
Wow, Juston Upton actually re-signed with us. 5 year 106 million.

Dr. No
November 2nd, 2017, 05:09 PM
Yeah, saw that. Stoked for next season!!

aaron
December 8th, 2017, 12:04 PM
Somebody fire up the 2018 thread,

Ohtani to sign with the Angels!

Dr. No
December 8th, 2017, 12:06 PM
HELLS YEAH!! Ohtani!!

TooCool
December 8th, 2017, 02:06 PM
So glad he picks the Halos.

Trout, Upton, Calhoun, Simmonds, and now Ohtani? Holy moly.

And if Richards, Heaney, and Skaggs would stay healthy for once.. we could actually do some damage.

All they need to do is fire Scioscia and we'll be set.

pumpernicholl
December 8th, 2017, 10:47 PM
So glad he picks the Halos.

Trout, Upton, Calhoun, Simmonds, and now Ohtani? Holy moly.

And if Richards, Heaney, and Skaggs would stay healthy for once.. we could actually do some damage.

All they need to do is fire Scioscia and we'll be set.

Actually, all they need is for Pujols to take a ceremonial front office role to free up his roster slot... and the Angels will be set!

Dr. No
December 15th, 2017, 12:10 PM
Kinsler, Cozart, Ohtani, Upton...nice off season!! Could be amazing, or...round bat, round ball.

Simmonds/Cozart left inf D will, in theory, probably be top 3 in the league.

TooCool
December 15th, 2017, 02:02 PM
Kinsler, Cozart, Ohtani, Upton...nice off season!! Could be amazing, or...round bat, round ball.

Simmonds/Cozart left inf D will, in theory, probably be top 3 in the league.

And if Richards, Skaggs, Heaney, and Ohtani stay healthy.. that's a mighty fine top 4.

Nyssa42
December 15th, 2017, 02:56 PM
And if Richards, Skaggs, Heaney, and Ohtani stay healthy.. that's a mighty fine top 4.

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! If Richards and Skaggs stay healthy! you're so funny, TooCool.

aaron
March 9th, 2018, 05:44 PM
Saw a gif of an Ohtani curve ball. Wow.
Halos might just be good enough for me to buy the mlb package

TooCool
April 4th, 2018, 02:14 AM
Ohtani with a 3 run blast in the bottom of the 1st tonight for his first career HR. Also went 3 for 4. Very nice.

Makes you wonder if he really struggled in Spring Training or he just pretended to have a hard time so the media have things to talk about. Or did he just work really hard in a month and has adjusted? Then again, it could be a "lucky" streak and he could end up going 0 for 20 in his upcoming ABs.

Either way, very fun and exciting Angels team to watch again. Love the power up and down the lineup. Unfortunately, Shoemaker just made it to the DL because our pitchers can never stay healthy. At least Bridwell gets a shot since he did well last year. JC Ramirez is not a starting pitcher though but the Angels management insist that he is... lol. We need Heaney to get healthy soon.

aaron
April 4th, 2018, 08:16 AM
Going to run back the 2017 thread?

Can't wait until Sciosca gets his head out of his ass and Ohtani moves to cleanup.

TooCool
April 4th, 2018, 12:58 PM
Going to run back the 2017 thread?

Can't wait until Sciosca gets his head out of his ass and Ohtani moves to cleanup.

I just renamed the thread title. No point in starting a new one lol

But yeah... Ohtani needs to bat higher than 8th. But I guess Scioscia needs to see more concrete numbers before moving him up. Then again... he won't move Pujols lower despite his numbers so whatever.

I still say Scioscia needs to get fired or else the Angels won't win the World Series.

ucsdguy1
April 5th, 2018, 12:38 PM
Ohtani with a 3 run blast in the bottom of the 1st tonight for his first career HR. Also went 3 for 4. Very nice.

Makes you wonder if he really struggled in Spring Training or he just pretended to have a hard time so the media have things to talk about. Or did he just work really hard in a month and has adjusted? Then again, it could be a "lucky" streak and he could end up going 0 for 20 in his upcoming ABs.

Either way, very fun and exciting Angels team to watch again. Love the power up and down the lineup. Unfortunately, Shoemaker just made it to the DL because our pitchers can never stay healthy. At least Bridwell gets a shot since he did well last year. JC Ramirez is not a starting pitcher though but the Angels management insist that he is... lol. We need Heaney to get healthy soon.
Dodgers/Angels world series!

well not the way the dodgers are playing...

aaron
April 8th, 2018, 04:38 PM
Ohtani perfect through 6.
1 hit, 1bb, 12k in 7

2W, 2Hr and counting

Dr. No
April 8th, 2018, 04:48 PM
Wow. Ohtani appears to be the real deal.

This Angels team...there’s something special going on there in Anaheim this season.

TooCool
April 11th, 2018, 02:33 PM
Trout's finally coming alive although he's usually a May guy, not April.

9-3 Halos.. wow. Never expected that. Keep it going.

Dr. No
April 11th, 2018, 02:33 PM
The Seraphs keep on rollin', and Kongs PO hockey starts tonight.

It's a good day. :keg:

aaron
April 22nd, 2018, 12:42 PM
There must be some mistake
https://i.imgur.com/AjCJ3PD.jpg

NobleSavage
April 22nd, 2018, 02:37 PM
Did you see that Brandon Belt worked a 21 pitch at bat in today's first inning?
It finally resulted in an out, but that is amazing. MLB record too.

TooCool
April 23rd, 2018, 09:45 AM
Did you see that Brandon Belt worked a 21 pitch at bat in today's first inning?
It finally resulted in an out, but that is amazing. MLB record too.

Yeah, that was a great AB. As a pitcher, that has to be frustrating lol.

And it's a good thing the Halos got off to that hot streak because they look like they can't beat anyone right now.

aaron
April 24th, 2018, 08:03 AM
Skaggs with an excellent start. Really like what I've seen from him this year.
Barria looks like a real pitcher.
Throw in Richards, Ohtani
Tropeano as a 4th or 5th plus the guys on DL and starting pitching could become a strength.

Happy Ohtani day

aaron
May 6th, 2018, 04:57 PM
Happy Ohtani Day
3 Wins
4 HRs,
.339/.391/.627,
1.018ops

TooCool
May 7th, 2018, 12:42 PM
Happy Ohtani Day
3 Wins
4 HRs,
.339/.391/.627,
1.018ops

Halos offense has been weird this season. Either everyone contributes and they win big or no one contributes and they lose big.

Melfice
July 14th, 2018, 04:57 PM
haha I have not followed baseball for a long time now, and I see the Angels still suck? :(

TooCool
July 14th, 2018, 05:38 PM
haha I have not followed baseball for a long time now, and I see the Angels still suck? :(

They got off to a pretty good start with Ohtani fever. Then the usual happened. People just cannot stay healthy on the Angels for whatever reason. And I don't know how the training staff never gets blamed in how they prepare our players as far as conditioning goes. They just chalk it up to bad luck ever year I guess.

Then the offense doesn't show up 4 out of 7 times. And we have an idiot manager who continues to mis-manage the bullpen so we throw away game after game.

Melfice
July 14th, 2018, 07:00 PM
They got off to a pretty good start with Ohtani fever. Then the usual happened. People just cannot stay healthy on the Angels for whatever reason. And I don't know how the training staff never gets blamed in how they prepare our players as far as conditioning goes. They just chalk it up to bad luck ever year I guess.

Then the offense doesn't show up 4 out of 7 times. And we have an idiot manager who continues to mis-manage the bullpen so we throw away game after game.

When will they get rid of Mike man?!?! WHEN will they get rid of him, and hire a very good front office too?

roenick
July 17th, 2018, 01:17 PM
When will they get rid of Mike man?!?! WHEN will they get rid of him, and hire a very good front office too?

They had a good front office guy in DiPoto and let him go. The Mariners are very, very happy to have him though.

aaron
August 13th, 2018, 09:10 PM
MIKE

Bat Heaney in the top of the 8th in a 1 run game. He gives it up in the bottom of the 8th. Gets bailed out by Upton robbing Hosmer of a HR. Just so sick of mike.