PDA

View Full Version : The Official MMA Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

ASUcruz
February 26th, 2007, 11:09 PM
All things MMA go here.

ASUcruz
February 26th, 2007, 11:10 PM
Here is a link to my post with links to some of the fights from Pride 33.

http://www.letsgokings.com/bbs/showpost.php?p=742451&postcount=99

Crapgame13
February 26th, 2007, 11:25 PM
I have to give Diaz credit, I hate the guy, think he's a poor loser who can't finish, but he destroyed Gomi, who had it coming. Especially since you have to beat Gomi twice to get the belt because Pride protects him

I'm also more than happy Hendo beat Silva, though it does ruin any hope, remote as it was, of a Liddell/Silva "SuperFight"

Noguiera getting jacked was a surprise as well, and I thought Overeem would win.

Roody
February 27th, 2007, 12:01 AM
My dad absolutely HATES Overeem (and my dad is Dutch.. go figure!). He always gasses way too early and usually has boring fights.

And whatever happens to PRIDE, at least they went out with a great great show.

I am also kinda bummed that I will be gone this weekend, so I won't be able to see Coture/Sylvia. I hope Randy wins because Sylvia is another boring fighter. Sure he does just enough to win, but in my opinion, it is better to lose an exciting fight than win a boring one. Just ask Takayama.

ASUcruz
February 27th, 2007, 08:46 AM
I have to give Diaz credit, I hate the guy, think he's a poor loser who can't finish, but he destroyed Gomi, who had it coming. Especially since you have to beat Gomi twice to get the belt because Pride protects him

I'm also more than happy Hendo beat Silva, though it does ruin any hope, remote as it was, of a Liddell/Silva "SuperFight"

Noguiera getting jacked was a surprise as well, and I thought Overeem would win.

Yea it is lame that the Gomi-Diaz fight was a non title match. Gomi made a ton of excuses after the fight, saying he didn't train, he wasn't prepared, etc. Which is lame because not to long ago he was talking about how he was so excited to make his USA debut etc. Hopefully Diaz crushes him when they fight for the title. Reports are that he broke his orbital bone though so that might not happen for awhile.

Yea seeing Noguiera getting ktfo was surprising, especially since he was the guy that went toe to toe with Shogun in that war and never got stopped.

Wanderlei is a shot figther, I think it was actually the Arona fight that messed him up. Cro Cop just made things worse and now Hendo finished the job. The good thing for Chute Box is now Shogun will finally get his opportunity for the belt.

I'd love to see a Shogun-Chuck fight.

ibleedkngs
February 27th, 2007, 08:57 AM
My dad absolutely HATES Overeem (and my dad is Dutch.. go figure!). He always gasses way too early and usually has boring fights.

And whatever happens to PRIDE, at least they went out with a great great show.

I am also kinda bummed that I will be gone this weekend, so I won't be able to see Coture/Sylvia. I hope Randy wins because Sylvia is another boring fighter. Sure he does just enough to win, but in my opinion, it is better to lose an exciting fight than win a boring one. Just ask Takayama.

I kind of hope Randy wins also, but I'm scared for him when he'll have to meet Cro Cop.

Diablito93
March 3rd, 2007, 08:30 AM
Should be some good fights tonight :) Even better since they went HD! woooot!

Crapgame13
March 3rd, 2007, 10:30 AM
Randy may die...modo

he didn't win his last 3 hw fights

ASUcruz
March 3rd, 2007, 11:01 AM
It's hard for me to see Randy winning tonight, altough I bet 98% of all MMA fans will be rooting for him. The UFC seems to have this tried and true formula for putting champions over the top with fans. They put the new young and rising star in with the old over the hill star who the fans still love or respect.

The young star wins and either is humble in victory or is a cartoon character and the fans love him either way. Examples of this are Tito and Ken, Royce and Hughes. Of course it has backfired before, Randy was supposed to lose to Tito and Chuck and he messed up the UFC's plans both times.

Will that happen again tonight? I don't think so, Randy moved down to LHW because the HWs were getting to big, now he comes back older and faces the biggest HW in the UFC. Randy says that he'll at the very least make Tim fight for the belt. I think that will hold true, Tim won't have an easy time in the ring and he'll fight his ass off because Randy will put a lot of pressure on him.

ASUcruz
March 3rd, 2007, 11:02 AM
Here's a good read on Randy by the way.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles.asp?n_id=6879

Diablito93
March 3rd, 2007, 11:08 AM
Randy may die...modo

he didn't win his last 3 hw fights

I agree. Considering how many of us don't like his opponent tho....I know i'd like to see him do better :)

ASUcruz
March 3rd, 2007, 11:10 AM
As for the other 2 big fights, I think they are tailor made for the ex champs to win. I think both Hughes and Franklin are being matched up with decent fighters but guys that they should beat. UFC wants to build Hughes and Franklin back up, especially since both guys were/are extremley popular.

Matt Hughes Vs. Chris Lytle

Lytle was on TUF4, he's a pretty good stand up fighter but Hughes' wrestling will be too much. I think this will be a classic Hughes peformance, he'll take Lytle down and pound him out. Probably getting a stoppage in round 2.

Rich Frankin Vs. Jason Macdonald

Macdonald is a fighter on the rising, having scored impressive wins over Ed Hermann and Chris Leben. But this is a huge step up in competition for him. Franklin is a great stand up fighter with pretty good wrestling skills. He'll want to keep this fight standing though and I think he'll KO MacDonald in the third. It'l be interesting to watch Franklin's performance, sometimes fighters never recover from being knocked the **** out. See Wanderlei Silva.

ASUcruz
March 3rd, 2007, 11:13 AM
Also, for those who plan not to order the PPV, it might be a good idea to avoid this thread tonight. I think we'll discuss the fights so if you want to try and catch the fights on youtube or dailymotion don't look at the thread!

Clich? Guevara
March 3rd, 2007, 10:48 PM
I won a total of $85 tonight. Thank you Natural. That guy's still my hero.

Tim Sylvia, you are an embarassment to the sport of mixed martial arts.

ASUcruz
March 3rd, 2007, 10:48 PM
Holy ****

Randy is the man!

ASUcruz
March 3rd, 2007, 11:45 PM
Well that was definitley one of the most impressive performances ever.

Randy Couture Vs. Tim Sylvia

No one gave Randy a chance in this fight, except Randy. Couture beat Sylvia to the punch all night. He landed a ton of power shots and almost ended the fight in the first round. Couture scored a bunch of takedowns and pounded on Sylvia relentelessly. The champ had no answer and was clearly frustrated as the fight went on. Just incredible heart by Randy. I think its a bit unfair to call Sylvia an embarrssement to the sport. Everyone gets their ass kicked in this game. Tim wasn't a great champ or anything and although he didn't show a ton of heart/guts in his last 2 fights he never quit. I wouldn't call him an embarrsement like the poster above but he's definitley not a great fighter.

What's Next:

For Couture, a fight with Mirko Cro Crop beckons provided Cro Cop gets past Gabriel Gonzaga at UFC 70 in England. I don't think there's any doubt Cro Cop kills Gonzaga. And he'll be the heavy favorite aginst Randy. After what we watched tonight, it'll be hard to count Randy out but Cro Cop is NOT Tim Sylvia.

For Sylvia, I don't think the UFC will be in a big hurry to build big Tim back up. He's not a popular fighter and the UFC is all about dollars. They'll give him time to recover from this loss and probably have him fight a guy like Brad Imes.

Rich Franklin Vs. Jason MacDonald

"Ace" looked great against MacDonald. Like I mentioned above, this was just a huge stepup for TUF killer MacDonald. Franklin looked crisp in his striking when they were standing up and avoided MacDonalds takedowns. When the fight did go to the ground, Franklin was in control and eventually pounded MacDonald out. Just the performance Franklin needed to get back on the road to the title.

What's next:

For Franklin, I think a rematch with the champ Anderson Silva is next. Rich's peformance was solid and there wasn't any ring rust. Silva just demolished Ace in their first right, but Franklin was coming off a war with David Loiseau and perhaps wasn't at 100%. He might have underestimated Silva and that won't happen this time. I think their rematch will be a great fight and Silva will finally be tested in the UFC>

For, MacDonald, althogh he was dominated he was fighting the former champ. MacDonald still holds 2 impressive wins over Chris Leban and Ed Hermann so I think he still has a future in the UFC. He'll probably fight in the dark matches in on a future PPV or on a ultimate fight night. He might be a decent gate keeper for the 185 division.

Matt Hughes Vs. Chris Lytle

Typcial Matt Hughes type performance although Chris Lytle fought his ass off and has nothing to be ashamed off. Hughes' didn't try and stand up with Lytle and went back to bread and butter. Takedowns and ground and pound. Lytle did a good job of surviving, even reversed and got some advantageous positions but Hughes was just too strong. He controlled Lytle on the ground and pounded him out for a 3 round decision.

What's next:

For Hughes, A title shot beckons. Dana loves Hughes and Hughes will be first in line to fight the winner of GSP-Serra. GSP should win that fight easily and that will set up the third showdown between Hughes and GSP. Hughes wanted to stand up with GSP and he got destroyed. I don't think he'll make the same mistake twice, but GSP is just as good a wrestler as Hughes if not better and his stand up is light years ahead of Hughes. I think the third fight will end in a GSP victory but Hughes will have a better showing.

For Lytle, he peformed well against a future Hall of Famer so I think he'll still be in the UFC's plans. Or they can send him to the WEC like they are supposedly doing with Joe Riggs. Lytle has solid stand up but his ground skills are lacking. He'll never be a title contender but agains the right opponent he can look good.

sarf
March 4th, 2007, 12:24 AM
Wow Couture, like Rogan said...I was hoping Randy wouldn't get hurt, and he ends up dominating. Amazing fight

Clich? Guevara
March 4th, 2007, 12:28 AM
Well that was definitley one of the most impressive performances ever.

Randy Couture Vs. Tim Sylvia

No one gave Randy a chance in this fight, except Randy and Mike

Fixed it for you. ;) I've been called crazy so many times the past few weeks. Even after making bank on a bunch of my friends earlier this evening, I still have a lot of phone calls to make and people to give a big Ric Flair-like "Whoooooooooooo".

I'm proud of Randy.

33isgod
March 4th, 2007, 05:49 AM
Randy owned that tall grease monkey. Talk about a glass jaw, it looked like that first punch dazed Sylvia for the rest of the fight. Plus having your left eye shut completely closed surely did Sylvia in for good. Couture showed a lot of heart, and in all honesty, no one at our house thought he would win. What a great under dog story for Randy.

And anyone else saw that middle weight fight where the one dude was put to sleep. Usually i dont watch fighters i dont know but that dude was out cold. Sweet.

ibleedkngs
March 4th, 2007, 08:53 AM
Ok card overall, the ending was sweet. The reality is if Cro Cop and Randy face off, we could see Randy leaving on a stretcher and I hope that doesn't happen.

ASUcruz
March 4th, 2007, 01:15 PM
Ok card overall, the ending was sweet. The reality is if Cro Cop and Randy face off, we could see Randy leaving on a stretcher and I hope that doesn't happen.

Yea, I don't like Randy's chances against Cro Cop, but this performance at least makes a fight intriguing and for the UFC's sake very marketable.

Crapgame13
March 4th, 2007, 01:17 PM
Watched it at a bar in Hollywood, and we were saying that first punch totally made Tim lose confidence. Wow

I also can't believe Babalu got KTFO

ASUcruz
March 4th, 2007, 01:44 PM
Watched it at a bar in Hollywood, and we were saying that first punch totally made Tim lose confidence. Wow

I also can't believe Babalu got KTFO

Yea, good point. That initial combo that put Tim on his ass was a huge boost for Randy mentally and a huge shot to Tim's psche. I mean he was supposed to be the big bad giant and within 10 seconds he's on his ass trying to survive.

Yea, Babalu started off well but just got rocked wen he was trying to throw kicks. A little disappointed by that, I was hoping Babalu would win so they could throw him in there against Rashad, Jardine, etc. Maybe they can throw him in against Forrest next seeing as both guys are coming off losses.

lagwagon0
March 4th, 2007, 04:28 PM
Decent event saved by a main event that was better than expected. Biggest disappointment Babalu, what the heck happened to you man? I was a little disappointed by the undercard shown as Kampmann and the other guy will never amount to anything in my opinion as one cant strike and the other cant defend on the ground. In good news, two UFC PPV's in April with some nice bouts already lined up on both. What's odd is that Arlovski may end up with another title fight before Sylvia does if he can beat Fabricio next month, facing the winner of the CroCrop/Couture fight later this year. I just don't the UFC has any intention of pushing Sylvia, considering how lackluster his reign has been.

Dr. Naysay
March 4th, 2007, 04:39 PM
Here's a link concerning some big dates coming up in MMA.

March & April (http://www.mma.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1660&Itemid=93)

Kubrick
March 4th, 2007, 04:41 PM
Yea, good point. That initial combo that put Tim on his ass was a huge boost for Randy mentally and a huge shot to Tim's psche. I mean he was supposed to be the big bad giant and within 10 seconds he's on his ass trying to survive.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v411/Vyse314/randy-couture_tim-sylvia.gif

MadDog20/20
March 4th, 2007, 05:00 PM
I was really happy for Randy, the guy is just amazing! I wish I would've been able to put money down last week on Randy it would've been a nice payout. As far as him and Cro Cop, he will be the underdog again and hopefully will come prepared with a good game plan or he'll get KO'd. I'll be putting my money down on Randy though.

ibleedkngs
March 4th, 2007, 05:33 PM
I was really happy for Randy, the guy is just amazing! I wish I would've been able to put money down last week on Randy it would've been a nice payout. As far as him and Cro Cop, he will be the underdog again and hopefully will come prepared with a good game plan or he'll get KO'd. I'll be putting my money down on Randy though.

I don't see any way Randy can pull a win off against CC. I really doubt he can take CC down and if they stay on their feet thats bad news for Randy. Anything could happen though because Randy does some amazing stuff when everybody writes him off.

Roody
March 4th, 2007, 06:54 PM
I didn't see the fight, but I KNEW Randy would win. Sylvia flat out SUCKS. Boring boring fighter.

But there is no one in UFC that can stop Cro Cop. Nice to know you, Randy.

I am waiting for PRIDE to shut down so I can see Fedor tear through everyone. No one in the world can beat that man unarmed.

ASUcruz
March 4th, 2007, 07:55 PM
I don't see any way Randy can pull a win off against CC. I really doubt he can take CC down and if they stay on their feet thats bad news for Randy. Anything could happen though because Randy does some amazing stuff when everybody writes him off.

Neither do I but it is a more compelling fight now than it was a week ago. With Randy pulling off the upset against Sylvia the UFC will finally have a marquee HW matchup. I think Cro Cop will destroy Randy, but it is hard to count Randy out of any fight.

Cro Crop is a great fighter but he's been beaten before. Anything can happen in MMA!

Mr. Irreverent
March 4th, 2007, 08:42 PM
Got to give props to Randy, but his pro jebus marine crap made we want to puke! (Where are you Bad91?)

Roody
March 4th, 2007, 09:18 PM
Cro Crop is a great fighter but he's been beaten before. Anything can happen in MMA!

The only "bad" loss Cro-Cop has had was when he was ko'ed by Randleman three years ago. He lost to Hunt via decision (can't knock that bastard out), Fedor via decision and Nog via armbar. There is no one close to that caliber of talent in UFC. Cro Cop will rule until UFC ever signs Nog or Fedor.

ASUcruz
March 4th, 2007, 09:20 PM
The only "bad" loss Cro-Cop has had was when he was ko'ed by Randleman three years ago. He lost to Hunt via decision (can't knock that bastard out), Fedor via decision and Nog via armbar. There is no one close to that caliber of talent in UFC. Cro Cop will rule until UFC ever signs Nog or Fedor.

Yea, I agree that Crop Cop is by far the best HW in the UFC. That doesn't change the fact that ANYTHING can happen in MMA. Yes, he'll probably destroy Randy, but its not like he's unbeatable.

MadDog20/20
March 4th, 2007, 10:01 PM

Granted it was Tim, but Randy looked fantastic last night. He was a huge underdog and dominated the fight. Will he beat CC? Probably not but the fight is definately more interesting after his performance last night. No one last week expected Diaz and Henderson to win and they did so yeah, anything can happen.

ASUcruz
March 4th, 2007, 11:11 PM
Also thought I'd share this.

I watch this guy's vids on youtube. Tons of info and good analysis from a passionate fan. Vids can be fairly long but worth watching.

http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=doliveij

OvertimeHero
March 5th, 2007, 08:18 AM
Finally got around to watching UFC 68 last night.

Randy was un-freakin-believable, and like most others, I was glad t see Sylvia lose. He has always bored me to tears. I loved how he immediately blamed the loss on his "back injury," then backpeddled and said he lost fair and square.

Franklin looked good, and I loved the look on his face at the end of the 2nd when the ref (Herb Dean IIRC) wouldn't stop it. As much as I wanted my fellow Canuck to win, Franklin proved that MacDonald is not quite the contender he's played himself up to be. (I'd love to see a Franklin/Leben fight, just because I love seeing Leben get knocked out!)

Hughes looked complacent to me. Didn't have that killer instinct I thought he would come out with (that was a sloppy attempt at an armbar). I used to like Hughes until all the trash talking he did of GSP on TUF4, and I really hope he does get a rematch with GSP so he can have his ass kicked again.

What is the UFC's fascination with Babalu?!?! Granted, I've only seen 3 of his fights, but he's looked horrible in all of them. For someone who supposedly trains pretty hard, he seems to gas really easily, and never seems properly prepared.

I can't wait for GSP/Sera (though Sera will be beaten badly) and Sanchez/Koscheck (which should be awesome, with Nightmare coming out on top).

And while I agree that Cro Cop will probably walk all over Randy, I wasn't THAT impressed with his first UFC bout. Granted, he was totally controlling the fight, but he did get a little lucky when his opponent (can't remember the name) backed up into the fence, tripped and put himself on the ground. I admit, however, that that is the only Cro Cop fight I have seen, so maybe it's a bad example to judge him.

ASUcruz
March 5th, 2007, 09:21 AM
Finally got around to watching UFC 68 last night.

Randy was un-freakin-believable, and like most others, I was glad t see Sylvia lose. He has always bored me to tears. I loved how he immediately blamed the loss on his "back injury," then backpeddled and said he lost fair and square.

Yea, no one seems to like Sylvia. This is why I don't think Sylvia is going to be built back up anytime soon. I mean this thread is a very small sample but I think the majority of MMA fans have no love for Tim Sylvia. Look for Andre Arlovski to get a push again now that Sylvia is out of the way(No way the UFC couuld sell Arlovski-Sylvia IV)

Franklin looked good, and I loved the look on his face at the end of the 2nd when the ref (Herb Dean IIRC) wouldn't stop it. As much as I wanted my fellow Canuck to win, Franklin proved that MacDonald is not quite the contender he's played himself up to be. (I'd love to see a Franklin/Leben fight, just because I love seeing Leben get knocked out!)

LOL, I'm not a Leben fan either. It was great seeing him get destroyed by Anderson Silva. Chris Leben does not belong in the UFC.

Hughes looked complacent to me. Didn't have that killer instinct I thought he would come out with (that was a sloppy attempt at an armbar). I used to like Hughes until all the trash talking he did of GSP on TUF4, and I really hope he does get a rematch with GSP so he can have his ass kicked again.

Let's give some credit to Chris Lytle as well. He fought a tough fight. I agree though, Hughes didn't look as impressive as Rich Franklin. He did score takedowns at will and its evident that he's just flat out stronger than people but I think by the third round he thought to himself that he should play it safe and just grind out the decision.

Hughes will definitley get a title shot, Dana loves him. BUt I'm not sure if he's more deserving than Diego at this point. If Diego beats Koscheck he should get a title shot. In his post fight interview, Hughes mentioned that if he doesn't get a title shot he doesn't want to sit around and wait he wants another fight. Maybe a Hughes-Karo Parisyan fight. That would be a good one to watch, good clash of styles.

I can't wait for GSP/Sera (though Sera will be beaten badly) and Sanchez/Koscheck (which should be awesome, with Nightmare coming out on top).

Agree, anytime GSP fights I'll be watching. Flat out just a stud. Sanchez-Koscheck should be good. Diego will be the favorite but I think Koscheck will be a very live underdog. WHen they fought on the show, Diego could only grind out a split decision despite having a lot more experience than Koscheck who had only been fighting MMA for a few months. Koscheck's wrestling might pound for pound be the best in the UFC and he's training with a good camp(AKA) so I think he'll give Sanchez some trouble.

And while I agree that Cro Cop will probably walk all over Randy, I wasn't THAT impressed with his first UFC bout. Granted, he was totally controlling the fight, but he did get a little lucky when his opponent (can't remember the name) backed up into the fence, tripped and put himself on the ground. I admit, however, that that is the only Cro Cop fight I have seen, so maybe it's a bad example to judge him.

It was hard for Cro Cop to look that awesome because Sanchez was scared ****less.

If you haven't seen much of Cro Cop check out these vids.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2A3ox1PhiLE

http://www.dailymotion.com/visited/search/Cro%2BCop/video/xdqcd_final-pride-gp-ow-2006

OvertimeHero
March 5th, 2007, 10:10 AM
Yea, no one seems to like Sylvia. This is why I don't think Sylvia is going to be built back up anytime soon. I mean this thread is a very small sample but I think the majority of MMA fans have no love for Tim Sylvia. Look for Andre Arlovski to get a push again now that Sylvia is out of the way(No way the UFC couuld sell Arlovski-Sylvia IV)

I like Arlovski. His last fight was great. Waited for Herb Dean to get outta the way then landed that vicious shot. But I agree, a Arlovski-Syliva iV would be almost an impossible sell.

LOL, I'm not a Leben fan either. It was great seeing him get destroyed by Anderson Silva. Chris Leben does not belong in the UFC.

Ever since he was such a whiny b**** on TUF1, I've hated Leben, and I was surprised when the UFC brought him in and tried to push him, considering he lost both fights on TUF.

Let's give some credit to Chris Lytle as well. He fought a tough fight. I agree though, Hughes didn't look as impressive as Rich Franklin. He did score takedowns at will and its evident that he's just flat out stronger than people but I think by the third round he thought to himself that he should play it safe and just grind out the decision.

Hughes will definitley get a title shot, Dana loves him. BUt I'm not sure if he's more deserving than Diego at this point. If Diego beats Koscheck he should get a title shot. In his post fight interview, Hughes mentioned that if he doesn't get a title shot he doesn't want to sit around and wait he wants another fight. Maybe a Hughes-Karo Parisyan fight. That would be a good one to watch, good clash of styles.

I know Dana loves Hughes, but enough is enough. GSP is exactly the kind of guy the UFC should be pushing. I know Matt deserves a rematch because he was champion for 5 years, but hopefully he gets beat again and the UFC can move forward instead of holding onto the past.

And oh yeah, props to Lytle. He did a great job of hanging in there.

Agree, anytime GSP fights I'll be watching. Flat out just a stud. Sanchez-Koscheck should be good. Diego will be the favorite but I think Koscheck will be a very live underdog. WHen they fought on the show, Diego could only grind out a split decision despite having a lot more experience than Koscheck who had only been fighting MMA for a few months. Koscheck's wrestling might pound for pound be the best in the UFC and he's training with a good camp(AKA) so I think he'll give Sanchez some trouble.

Agreed. I still think Sanchez will come out on top, but I could easily see it going to a decision.

It was hard for Cro Cop to look that awesome because Sanchez was scared ****less.

If you haven't seen much of Cro Cop check out these vids.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2A3ox1PhiLE

http://www.dailymotion.com/visited/search/Cro%2BCop/video/xdqcd_final-pride-gp-ow-2006

Thanks, I'll check them out.

ASUcruz
March 5th, 2007, 11:53 AM
I like Arlovski. His last fight was great. Waited for Herb Dean to get outta the way then landed that vicious shot. But I agree, a Arlovski-Syliva iV would be almost an impossible sell.

Yea, Arlovski was a fan favorite. With Sylvia out of the way he should start to get into the spotlight again. If he keeps winning, I'm sure he'll get the winner of Cro-Cop Vs. Couture. Either matchup works, because Arlovski will want to keep the fight standing. I'd like to see him fight Cro-Cop, Arlovski will be a heavy underdog but he'll make the fight exciting.

Ever since he was such a whiny b**** on TUF1, I've hated Leben, and I was surprised when the UFC brought him in and tried to push him, considering he lost both fights on TUF.

Yea, a lot of guys from the TUF1 got jobs. Their cheap and fans know who they are so they made for sellable fights. Once again, UFC is all about the money. Leben actually had a pretty strong fan base for some reason, probably because everyone liked seeing what he did when he was drunk. Anyways, he'll probably hang around the UFC and get beat up, more likely he'll go to the WEC.

I know Dana loves Hughes, but enough is enough. GSP is exactly the kind of guy the UFC should be pushing. I know Matt deserves a rematch because he was champion for 5 years, but hopefully he gets beat again and the UFC can move forward instead of holding onto the past.

Right, I don't mind Hughes, I definitley respect him as a fighter but I don't want him to get a title shot right away. Let GSP fight Serra then Diego(if he wins). I'm all for a rematch with GSP and Hughes but GSP deserves to defend his title against some other people. GSP should beat Serra then put GSP against Diego provided he wins in Vegas. On that same show have Hughes fight Karo which would make for a good fight. If GSP and Hughes win, have GSP-Hughes III in Montreal. By that time, the UFC will have figured out a way to get into Canada.

Agreed. I still think Sanchez will come out on top, but I could easily see it going to a decision.

I definitley see a decision. Diego's stand up has improved and he'll have something to prove. Koscheck is the same way, they'll both trade but as soon as Koscheck gets in trouble he'll take the fight to the ground. We'll probably get a ground war for a few rounds and whoever imposes their will the most on the ground will win.

Crapgame13
March 5th, 2007, 11:57 AM
this is why I'm miffed Vera is on his way out, because adding another HW to the mix would be something

He's rolled with Randy. He'd be a good match for either AA or CroCop, and I think he'd dominate Tim as well

Instead we're going to get AA, Sylvia and probably CroCop in a love triangle unless Liddell moves up in weight

ASUcruz
March 5th, 2007, 11:58 AM
this is why I'm miffed Vera is on his way out, because adding another HW to the mix would be something

He's rolled with Randy. He'd be a good match for either AA or CroCop, and I think he'd dominate Tim as well

Instead we're going to get AA, Sylvia and probably CroCop in a love triangle unless Liddell moves up in weight

Yea, sucks about Vera. He's a very solid talent, but the UFC made him a good offer. Vera's just content to be a big fish in a small pond.

OvertimeHero
March 5th, 2007, 12:12 PM
Yea, sucks about Vera. He's a very solid talent, but the UFC made him a good offer. Vera's just content to be a big fish in a small pond.

I heard somewhere that Cro Cop had asked to fight Vera next, but the UFC ssaid no because of the contract BS.

ibleedkngs
March 5th, 2007, 12:14 PM

Dana said that Liddell wants to fight HW so he can fight CC. Not a good decision by the LHW Champ if you ask me.

ASUcruz
March 5th, 2007, 12:16 PM
I heard somewhere that Cro Cop had asked to fight Vera next, but the UFC ssaid no because of the contract BS.

Right. It's not smart business for the UFC to give a guy a title shot without having him locked up.

ASUcruz
March 5th, 2007, 12:18 PM
Dana said that Liddell wants to fight HW so he can fight CC. Not a good decision by the LHW Champ if you ask me.

We'll see, there's still a fight with Rampage pending. If Chuck can avenge that loss there are some up and coming LHWs that he can fight(Evans, Jardine).

I'd pay to watch Chuck fight Cro-Cop though.

OvertimeHero
March 5th, 2007, 01:32 PM
ASU, what are your thoughts on Pride? I watched my first Pride card a few weeks back, and while I liked that they offered more on their PPV (not as much time wasted between fights), I didn't think the fights had any flow to them. IMO, they get stood up WAY too much because of the ropes. That's one of the things I like about the cage, is there really is no place to run to when you get in trouble, whereas with Pride, all you need to do is scurry over to the ropes and the ref will come save you. The fights were entertaining enough, just kinda got frustrating to watch.

Roody
March 5th, 2007, 06:41 PM
ASU, what are your thoughts on Pride? I watched my first Pride card a few weeks back, and while I liked that they offered more on their PPV (not as much time wasted between fights), I didn't think the fights had any flow to them. IMO, they get stood up WAY too much because of the ropes. That's one of the things I like about the cage, is there really is no place to run to when you get in trouble, whereas with Pride, all you need to do is scurry over to the ropes and the ref will come save you. The fights were entertaining enough, just kinda got frustrating to watch.

I will chime in here because I am a HUUUUGGGE PRIDE mark.

PRIDE does the right thing and stands everyone up if there is no action, and they tend to do it quicker than UFC. However, it is not true that they stand the fighters up if they get too close to the ropes. They will pause the action and move them to the middle and continue. UFC tends to have a lot of guys from a wrestling background who can take guys down and can only finish via GroundNPound. That is why I don't like guys like Diego Sanchez because his game plan is to GnP a guy when he can end a fight earlier when the guy sticks his arm out and all he has to do is armbar him like any white-belt BJJ student would do.

What I absolutely love about PRIDE is the no elbows to the face and (on shows in Japan) the soccer kicks, knees on the ground and stomps. I hate when fights are stopped because of a cut from an elbow. It is a cheap way to win, and lets down the fans. Also, the soccer kicks and stomps are awesome because it keeps the fights exciting. I remember the last Liddell/Ortiz fight when Ortiz went diving at Chuck's feet with the worst takedowns EVER and couldn't do crap. I was commenting to my friends if he tried that on a Japanese PRIDE show, he would get killed with a soccer kick. Seeing Shogun Rua stomping and kicking the crap out of people is awesome! I would love to see a Shogun/Liddell fight.

That being said, the action in PRIDE is a helluva lot more exciting than UFC. If you watch a lot of Japanese MMA and even Japanese pro-wrestling, you will find out that they believe it is better to lose an exciting fight than to win a boring one. Take this fight:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDYDPButKqk
Takayama is a freakin LEGEND because of this fight and he lost SOUNDLY. He is everything Tim Sylvia isn't.

Plus, the Japanese are big fans of what I call the "freakshow" bouts. Like Fedor vs Zuluzinho or Cro-Cop vs Dos Caras Jr. Or those Giant Silva fights. Entertaining as hell!

Oh, and here is another one of my favorite fights from PRIDE, and my all-time favorite fighter, Kazushi Sakuraba. It is kinda hard to explain Sakuraba because he has deteriorated BADLY these past few years (ever since Wanderlei killed him for the 3rd time), but Saku was a middleweight who fought EVERYONE, and became a legend for beating every Gracie he faced. I highly recommend watching the Saku/Royce Gracie fight because it is a legendary fight that Saku won even though Royce requested and received several rule changes that favored him. But anyways, here is the Saku/Carlos Newton fight that got me into MMA.

Part 1 http://youtube.com/watch?v=aR7r95bU6Ls (kinda boring in the beginning with an interview in Japanese)

Part 2 http://youtube.com/watch?v=50OWLkI5jWs

ASUcruz
March 5th, 2007, 06:53 PM

I love the fact that Pride shows their entire card on a PPV. You definitley get your money's worth that way. The promotional stuff UFC does gets annoying after while.

Regarding the actual fights, I'm not a big fan of the ring. I think its a lot easier to stall. I agree that sometimes the flow gets ruined by constant repositioning and stopping. I prefer the the cage because you can't hide in the Octagon. Plus it makes guys work to get out of bad positioning instead of lucking out. For example if Matt Hughes puts you into the fence, you have to get out yourself. None of the touch the ropes stuff and be put back into the middle of the ring.

ASUcruz
March 5th, 2007, 07:00 PM
PRIDE does the right thing and stands everyone up if there is no action, and they tend to do it quicker than UFC. However, it is not true that they stand the fighters up if they get too close to the ropes. They will pause the action and move them to the middle and continue. UFC tends to have a lot of guys from a wrestling background who can take guys down and can only finish via GroundNPound. That is why I don't like guys like Diego Sanchez because his game plan is to GnP a guy when he can end a fight earlier when the guy sticks his arm out and all he has to do is armbar him like any white-belt BJJ student would do.

See I don't like the constant stand ups. It's not very fair to the grapplers. My thing is if somebody takes you down then its your job to get the job standing again. If you don't want to get taken down, drill your take down defense. It takes a LOT out of a wrestler to take a man down and control his weight. I don't like lay and pray either but if you don't want that to happen to you don't get taken down. Simple as that.

What I absolutely love about PRIDE is the no elbows to the face and (on shows in Japan) the soccer kicks, knees on the ground and stomps. I hate when fights are stopped because of a cut from an elbow. It is a cheap way to win, and lets down the fans. Also, the soccer kicks and stomps are awesome because it keeps the fights exciting

See, I am of the opinion that elbows should be allowed as well as stops, as well as knees on the ground. I don't like early stoppeges from being cut from an elbow but again, if you don't want that to happen to you don't get taken out and pounded out.

OvertimeHero
March 5th, 2007, 09:25 PM
However, it is not true that they stand the fighters up if they get too close to the ropes. They will pause the action and move them to the middle and continue.

My bad. I did actually mean the re-positioning. I was just going by memory. I stand corrected. Good points though.

lagwagon0
March 5th, 2007, 10:03 PM
Unfortunately, freaks show fights are the one thing I do not like about Pride. Too many worthless heavyweight cans. I do love the fact that Pride has most top notch fighters in the world. The one other thing that bothers me about Pride is Phil Baroni. I remember watching Baroni get his ass handed to him by Pete Sell!!!!!, and yet hes treated like some stud in Pride after winning a few fights over some Japanese lugheads. Blows my friggin mind.

ASUcruz
March 5th, 2007, 10:10 PM
Unfortunately, freaks show fights are the one thing I do not like about Pride. Too many worthless heavyweight cans. I do love the fact that Pride has most top notch fighters in the world. The one other thing that bothers me about Pride is Phil Baroni. I remember watching Baroni get his ass handed to him by Pete Sell!!!!!, and yet hes treated like some stud in Pride after winning a few fights over some Japanese lugheads. Blows my friggin mind.

Yea, Baroni is an idiot although I hope he kicks Frank Shamrock's ass when they fight soon.

My problem with Pride is the lack of title fights. This was brought up when we talked about Diaz and Gomi. It's really weak that Gomi lost to Diaz and still has the belt. This has happend before when Gomi lost to Marcus Aurelio. If your the title holder there is absolutley no reason why you should be fighting NON title fights.

They did the same thing with Wanderlei as well.

I agree with you lag, the freak show fights do nothing for me. I think it cheapens the sport personally.

ASUcruz
March 5th, 2007, 10:11 PM
By the way, Diaz tested positive for weed.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles.asp?n_id=6902

He's already supsended from fighting in the US because of his broken orbital. Anyways, I don't think its a big deal because his rematch with Gomi will undoubtedly be in Japan.

ASUcruz
March 5th, 2007, 11:18 PM
I changed the title of the thread from MMA to MMA/Boxing. Only because I'm a huge boxing fan as well and wanted to put boxing related stuff in a thread that's already getting a lot of views.

Hopefully there are other big fans of the sweet science around these parts.

OvertimeHero
March 7th, 2007, 07:24 PM
ASU, what are your thoughts on the fact that Hughes (and to a lesser extent, Franklin) was given an easy comeback fight, and now apparently gets a rematch for the title. Why is it that 1 fight suddenly makes someone the #1 contender again? In the welterweight division, I would think the winner of the Koscheck / Sanchez fight deserves a shot more than Hughes. For Middleweights, Mike Swick has been doing pretty well, how about a shot for him? But at least Franklin was given a fairly good opponent. MacDonald had gotten a couple of good victories in. But Lytle? His UFC record was 2-5 going in. Hardly the thoughest opponent for Hughes. Granted, he had a good effort, but that victory was given to Hughes on a silver platter, and now he's going to get to fight Georges again? Come on.

All this is a result to your thought that the UFC won't build Sylvia up again. But if Hughes and Franklin get that luxury, why not Sylvia (not that I want it). Thoughts?

ASUcruz
March 7th, 2007, 08:20 PM
I'm going to break up your post's different points and try and answer them individually. Hopefully it works out.

ASU, what are your thoughts on the fact that Hughes (and to a lesser extent, Franklin) was given an easy comeback fight, and now apparently gets a rematch for the title. Why is it that 1 fight suddenly makes someone the #1 contender again?
All this is a result to your thought that the UFC won't build Sylvia up again. But if Hughes and Franklin get that luxury, why not Sylvia (not that I want it). Thoughts?

The first thing to keep in mind is that Dana White and the UFC are all about dollars. Which to be fair is understandable. I don't mind Matt Hughes and Rich Franklin being thrown back into the title picture immediantly because they were both good champions over the course of a few years. It also makes sense for the UFC to showcase them against weaker opponents so that the fans realize that both guys are back. Keep in mind that both guys are very popular fighters unlike Tim Sylvia. Which is why they get the luxury of getting back into the title picture so quickly.

Is it fair? Probably not, but Hughes and Franklin did a lot for the UFC so they get better treatment.

In the welterweight division, I would think the winner of the Koscheck / Sanchez fight deserves a shot more than Hughes.

I partially agree here. Diego certainly deserves a title shot especially if he beats Koscheck. But Koscheck probably isn't one fight away from a title shot like Diego. He's probably a step down the ladder from Diego since he's not undefeated and hasn't been too impressive in some of his bouts.

For Middleweights, Mike Swick has been doing pretty well, how about a shot for him? But at least Franklin was given a fairly good opponent. MacDonald had gotten a couple of good victories in. But Lytle? His UFC record was 2-5 going in. Hardly the thoughest opponent for Hughes. Granted, he had a good effort, but that victory was given to Hughes on a silver platter, and now he's going to get to fight Georges again? Come on.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the MW division in the UFC is a lot less deep in talent than the WWs. Swick has been fighting well, he's slated to fight Okami at one of the next PPVs which will be a war. The winner of that fight will get a title shot I think.

Yea, the UFC gave Hughes and even Franklin(MacDonald's style was perfect for him) easy opponents. But its all about the bottom line. A GSP-Hughes III and Silva-Franklin II sell a lot more PPVs than GSP-Diego and Silva-Swick at this point.

Crapgame13
March 8th, 2007, 12:29 AM
By the way, Diaz tested positive for weed.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles.asp?n_id=6902

He's already supsended from fighting in the US because of his broken orbital. Anyways, I don't think its a big deal because his rematch with Gomi will undoubtedly be in Japan.

Doesn't matter, they could potentially rule the bout a no contest and Diaz could be in breach of contract

meaning he adds to the bad boy mystique, but also to his tendency to be a moron

ASUcruz
March 10th, 2007, 05:45 PM
Hilarious clip of the Iceman

http://youtube.com/watch?v=huKeNWggSPA

ASUcruz
March 10th, 2007, 06:13 PM
Dana White interview on CBS Sportsline. Very informative.

Part I

http://cbs.sportsline.com/boxing/story/10050453

Part II

http://cbs.sportsline.com/boxing/story/10050687

Here are the key things I took from it.

Q: Who is next in line for a shot at Anderson Silva's middleweight title?

DW: Anderson Silva will probably fight Nate Marquardt next.

This is an interesting fight. Marquardt's fights haven't been on TV lately but he's a very impressie grappler and he comes from a good camp(Greg Jackson's) If he can take Silva down, he can win this fight as I think he's a lot better on the ground that Lutter. This will be a good fight, good clash of styles.

Also, seeing that Rich had an easy time with MacDonald, I'd bet that he'd want to fight again to keep sharp. I'd bet that the UFC will feed Franklin another can so they can keep him the #1 contender for Silva/Marquardt. But, I think a Frankin-Swick fight would be great.

Q: After the Georges St. Pierre vs. Matt Serra welterweight title fight at UFC 69, is Matt Hughes next in line for a title shot?

DW: I would have to say yes

Well, I'd guess that Diego gets the winner of GSP-Hughes.

Q: Is UFC 70 definitely going to be on Spike, or might it be on a different network?

DW: It's probably going to be on Spike.

This is huge. Cro Cop, Arlovski, Griffin, and Bisping all on free TV. I'll give major props to the UFC if they go through with this.

Q: Has an opponent for Tito at UFC 71 been decided?

DW: We are. We are talking about Rashad Evans right now.

Glad to see the UFC giving Evans a shot at a big time name. I think he'll beat Tito.

Q: What's the latest on Sean Sherk's status?

DW: He's recovering well, and we should see him back soon.

Good, I really like Sean Sherk's style. Great ground and pound and quality stand up. Big time slams too especially at 155. Sherk-Franca will be a war.

SepticFish
March 10th, 2007, 09:40 PM
Q: Is UFC 70 definitely going to be on Spike, or might it be on a different network?

DW: It's probably going to be on Spike.

This is huge. Cro Cop, Arlovski, Griffin, and Bisping all on free TV. I'll give major props to the UFC if they go through with this. Nice to hear that 70 will be free, but I'm also disappointed to hear that they still haven't been able to finalize the HBO deal. I was hoping 70 would be the first for UFC on HBO.

lagwagon0
March 13th, 2007, 11:04 PM
I came to see if anyone had mentioned UFC 70 will be free. Talk about a great month for MMA in April. So many good events to watch this month, so little time. I am also curious if anyone happened to watch Elite's event that aired on Showtime in February. It was a decent card, highlighted by Frank Shamrock getting Dq'd against Renzo Gracie for knees to the head.

ASUcruz
March 17th, 2007, 12:28 AM
Big boxing card tommorow night headlined by Marco Antonio Barrera fighting Juan Manuel Marquez.

2 mexican boxers with a lot of skill and heart. Barrera is the slight favorite I believe, but a lot of things favor Marquez. He's younger and has been through less wars, and he's great technically. But I think Barrera will put a ton of heat on Marquez and make him fight for every minute.

MAB is getting up their in age, but I think he has one more classic performance in him.

ASUcruz
March 22nd, 2007, 10:33 PM
HUGE NEWS

Sounds like the UFC is going to buy Pride!

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news.asp?n_id=7048

OvertimeHero
March 23rd, 2007, 05:18 AM
HUGE NEWS

Sounds like the UFC is going to buy Pride!

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news.asp?n_id=7048

WOW. As Joe Rogan said after Randy beat Sylvia: "I am speechless!"

I know Dana's been saying for a while that Pride is in trouble, but I thought it was just Dana being Dana. I never for a minute thought it was true. This would be HUGE.

ibleedkngs
March 23rd, 2007, 08:18 AM
Yeah this could be huge! Fedor possibly fighting in the Octagon is great.

ASUcruz
March 23rd, 2007, 01:19 PM
Yeah this could be huge! Fedor possibly fighting in the Octagon is great.

Not just Fedor. Shogun, Henderson, Gomi, Wanderlei. There are a ton of great fights out there. I'd love to see

Shogun-Chuck
Henderson-Franklin
Henderson-A. Silva
Gomi-Sherk

Those are just a few I'd like to see. I'm hoping this goes through.

ASUcruz
March 23rd, 2007, 01:26 PM
More info

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles.asp?n_id=7055

lagwagon0
March 24th, 2007, 01:22 AM
The one week I dont the news closely something huge like this happens.Sheesh

OvertimeHero
March 24th, 2007, 01:07 PM
I haven't seen/heard any formal announcement, but I guess UFC 71 is Liddell Vs. Rampage!!!

http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=eventDetail.FightCard&eid=547

I know Rampage wanted another fight before he got to Chuck, but I guess that's not gonna happen. This should be awesome!!!

ASUcruz
March 24th, 2007, 01:16 PM
I haven't seen/heard any formal announcement, but I guess UFC 71 is Liddell Vs. Rampage!!!

http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=eventDetail.FightCard&eid=547

I know Rampage wanted another fight before he got to Chuck, but I guess that's not gonna happen. This should be awesome!!!

I knew Rampage would fight Chuck sooner rather than later. The money was too good to pass up.

UFC 72 matchups were announced as well.

Silva Vs. Marquardt
Ortiz Vs. Evans

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news.asp?n_id=7046

Also MMAweekly has it that Sean Sherk will be on that card for his first title defense. Love watching Sherk fight, hope he fights on that card or even sooner.

lagwagon0
March 24th, 2007, 11:15 PM
I knew Rampage would fight Chuck sooner rather than later. The money was too good to pass up.

UFC 72 matchups were announced as well.

Silva Vs. Marquardt
Ortiz Vs. Evans

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news.asp?n_id=7046

Also MMAweekly has it that Sean Sherk will be on that card for his first title defense. Love watching Sherk fight, hope he fights on that card or even sooner.

Sherk has been injured, they are giving him time.

SmytheKing
March 25th, 2007, 01:12 AM
Not just Fedor. Shogun, Henderson, Gomi, Wanderlei. There are a ton of great fights out there. I'd love to see

Shogun-Chuck
Henderson-Franklin
Henderson-A. Silva
Gomi-Sherk

Those are just a few I'd like to see. I'm hoping this goes through.

So friggin happy about this. About time that these fights can take place. Get the best of the best in there and keep them as separate fighting orgs. Different rules. Different venues. Just great fights.

OvertimeHero
March 25th, 2007, 11:22 AM
No Pride deal (yet) according to Dana.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles.asp?n_id=7068

OvertimeHero
March 25th, 2007, 11:25 AM
Tito no-showed for the weigh-in for the boxing match against Dana.

http://www.prowrestling.com/article/mma/348

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-spw-ufc25mar25,1,6496012.story?coll=la-headlines-sports

Dana can't be happy with Tito right now. Especially if it hurts the relationship with Spike, as they were going to broadcast the fight later on. Not to mention making Dana look bad in front of the Nevada State Athletic Commission.

ASUcruz
March 27th, 2007, 08:20 AM
Well its official.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news.asp?n_id=7087

OvertimeHero
March 27th, 2007, 08:39 AM
Can't wait for the first crossover event!

MadDog20/20
March 27th, 2007, 11:23 AM
I still can't believe the merger.

Here is Tito's response to backing out of the Boxing match with Dana:

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=22328283&blogID=245894009&MyToken=ba2a7b57-19e8-41dd-9bd5-19d281e1500a

OvertimeHero
March 27th, 2007, 12:24 PM
I still can't believe the merger.

Here is Tito's response to backing out of the Boxing match with Dana:

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=22328283&blogID=245894009&MyToken=ba2a7b57-19e8-41dd-9bd5-19d281e1500a

I thought this "fight" was built into his current UFC contract? Wouldn't that mean he would in a roundabout way get paid for it? I understand pulling out to not risk getting hurt ahead of the fight with Rashad, but pulling out because of money?!? Speaks a lot about Tito's character.

ASUcruz
March 27th, 2007, 01:31 PM
Tito is a jackass, he was the one who wanted it written into his contract, now he backs out. What a dope. And I'm a Tito fan!

OvertimeHero
March 27th, 2007, 04:35 PM
Thinking about the merger, I really hope Dana and the Fertittas go through with their MMA "Superbowl" but at the same time, I hope they don't create belts for it. That was the problem I always had with boxing, was that there were too many belts, and the average person couldn't distinguish which one actually meant the most. I think a trophy for each weight class would be better. That way, you can have the "superbowl" once a year, and there's a good chance that many of the fighters will change from year to year to keep it interesting, rather than knowing that you're going to watch Fighter A again because even though he's lost his last 2 matches, he won the belt here last year, so he's got to defend it. Because I think if you have an event like this too often, it would get stale. Sure, have a few crossover fights throughout the year, but just have the one big yearly event that everyone will want to see.

Thoughts?

Diablito93
March 27th, 2007, 04:43 PM
Tito is a jackass, he was the one who wanted it written into his contract, now he backs out. What a dope. And I'm a Tito fan!

From what he writes on his blog it seemed that he didn't do too much research into the gig at first. It appears it didn't end up being what he wanted.

ASUcruz
March 28th, 2007, 09:18 AM
K-1, Pride's biggest rival in Japan has gotten into MMA recently. Usually, K-1 events are just kickboxing, but they now have K-1 hereos which is pretty much their MMA branch. Anyways, they put together a card along with EliteXC.

Interesting names on the card,

Royce Gracie
Brock Lesnar
Johnnie Morton. Yes, THAT Johnnie Morton.

lagwagon0
March 28th, 2007, 09:34 PM
K-1, Pride's biggest rival in Japan has gotten into MMA recently. Usually, K-1 events are just kickboxing, but they now have K-1 hereos which is pretty much their MMA branch. Anyways, they put together a card along with EliteXC.

Interesting names on the card,

Royce Gracie
Brock Lesnar
Johnnie Morton. Yes, THAT Johnnie Morton.

As long as the Foxy Gina Carano continues to fight on PPV for EliteXc, I will continue to watch.:bananadance:

MadDog20/20
March 29th, 2007, 12:02 AM
IT would be awesome if Kazushi was on that K-1 card!

ASUcruz
March 29th, 2007, 02:13 AM
Thinking about the merger, I really hope Dana and the Fertittas go through with their MMA "Superbowl" but at the same time, I hope they don't create belts for it. That was the problem I always had with boxing, was that there were too many belts, and the average person couldn't distinguish which one actually meant the most. I think a trophy for each weight class would be better. That way, you can have the "superbowl" once a year, and there's a good chance that many of the fighters will change from year to year to keep it interesting, rather than knowing that you're going to watch Fighter A again because even though he's lost his last 2 matches, he won the belt here last year, so he's got to defend it. Because I think if you have an event like this too often, it would get stale. Sure, have a few crossover fights throughout the year, but just have the one big yearly event that everyone will want to see.

Thoughts?

I think belts are fine. Keep it where there are Pride belts and UFC belts and in cross over bouts(I bet all of which will happen under the UFC banner in the US), that's where we get unification bouts.

One thing that is interesting is that PRIDE will now adopt the unified rules and weight classes that the UFC uses.

So knees on the ground and stops are out and elbows are in. The Chute Box guys use stops a lot but for the best fighters it shouldn't matter to much.

The weight class thing is interesting. Many have speculated that PRIDE has protected Gomi by having their LW division limit 160 pounds because Gomi can't make 155. With the way things work now 155 will be the LW limit and Gomi might have to move up to 170.

GSP vs. Gomi? I'd pay to see it!

ASUcruz
March 29th, 2007, 02:13 AM
As long as the Foxy Gina Carano continues to fight on PPV for EliteXc, I will continue to watch.:bananadance:

Yep, she's on that card.

So is this huge Korean guy Hong Man Choi.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hong_man_choi

ASUcruz
March 29th, 2007, 02:29 AM
Good news. Brandon Vera wants to stay in the UFC.

http://www.thefightnetwork.com/news_detail.php?nid=3519

MadDog20/20
April 3rd, 2007, 11:59 AM
Here are a couple of interesting reads on the merger, sorry if anybody has already seen them.

http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/sports/other/boxingmma/article_1633234.php

http://www.pridefc.com/pride2005/index.php?mainpage=news&news_id=1035

On a side note maybe that other thread should be deleted or merged with this one.

ASUcruz
April 4th, 2007, 10:13 AM
Two UFC cards this week. One free one and one PPV.

Tommorow is an Ultimate Fight Night Card that leads into the first episode of TUF 5.

Card tommorow isn't a bad one, the main event is a really good one. Joe Stevenson of TUF 2 fame and Melvin Guillard of TUF 1 fame. There's been some trash talk between these 2 so I'm expecting a good fight.

Stevenson is a well rounded fighter but his strenghts are on the ground. While Guillard is a pretty good wrestler but his strenght is standing up. He's an explosive striker. Stevenson will try and take Guillard down and pound him out or sumbit him while I expect Guillard to try and keep the fight standing. Although Guillard has pretty good ground skills. This should be a good fight. If Stevenson wins he could be in line for a title shot at Sean Sherk.

I am pretty excited for this seasons TUF. It's all lightweights and that will make for an exciting show. THe coaches are BJ Penn and Jens Pulver who don't really like each other and come from different worlds. Penn is a rich kid from Hawaii and Pulver is a farm boy from Iowa. So its an interesting mix.

All you MMA fans, make sure you check out the UFN card on tommorow as well as the first episode of TUF! We will discuss on Friday!

Crapgame13
April 4th, 2007, 10:44 AM
actually Melvin and Joe were the same season of TUF

ASUcruz
April 4th, 2007, 11:13 AM
actually Melvin and Joe were the same season of TUF

Ah that's right. Both guys season 2.

OvertimeHero
April 4th, 2007, 08:41 PM
I'm tuning into Season 5 to see if anything happens between Joe Lauzon and Jens Pulver.

ASUcruz
April 4th, 2007, 09:00 PM
I'm tuning into Season 5 to see if anything happens between Joe Lauzon and Jens Pulver.

Should be interesting. Both guys don't like each other and TUF 5 culminates with the 2 guys fighting each other at the finale.

Make sure you watch the UFN card, or at the very least the maint event.

ASUcruz
April 5th, 2007, 09:39 AM
Who does everyone like tonight in the main event?

I like Stevenson via submission in round 2.

OvertimeHero
April 5th, 2007, 10:16 AM
Who does everyone like tonight in the main event?

I like Stevenson via submission in round 2.

For some reason, I really see this one going the distance and Stevenson winning a unanimous decision.

I'm also really interested in seeing how K-Flo bounces back from the Sean Sherk loss.

BISHOP412
April 5th, 2007, 10:27 AM
I think swick ends his streak tonight.

ASUcruz
April 5th, 2007, 10:49 AM
I think swick ends his streak tonight.

Swick is fighting on the PPV card on Saturday actually.

I agree though, I think Okami is going to pound him out.

sarf
April 5th, 2007, 10:52 AM
I'm picking Stevenson in the 2nd, but I like Guillards future.

ASUcruz
April 5th, 2007, 10:58 AM
I'm picking Stevenson in the 2nd, but I like Guillards future.

So do I. In the UFC's 155 LBs division, I think he's clearly the best and most dynamic striker. An argument could be made for Hermes Franca, but his tecnique isn't as sharp and he's more of a wild puncher, wild Guillard has better technqiue and is more of an athlete.

I think this is just a tough matchup for him, Stevenson is an oustanding grappler and a solid striker in his own right. I don't know how good Guillard's take down defense is, tonight will be a good test, but I agree, Guillard has a bright future in the UFC.

ibleedkngs
April 5th, 2007, 12:00 PM
Guillard has a big mouth and I'm hoping he gets dropped.

OvertimeHero
April 5th, 2007, 06:34 PM
I am so pissed to be stuck at work and missing UFN & TUF 5. I don't wanna have to go home and download them. Stupid Spike isn't replaying either tonight.

ASUcruz
April 5th, 2007, 06:48 PM
MMA fans, make sure you don't look at Sherdog during the next few hours. For us on the West Coast I don't think the UFN card is live. I'm pretty sure at least. Anyways, if you don't want to be spoiled avoid Sherdog and other MMA sites.

ASUcruz
April 5th, 2007, 10:47 PM
Joe Daddy. What a stud.

Catches Melvin Guillard while their standing, takes him down. Melvin tries to stand up, and Stevenson gets him in a guillitoine and ends it.

Easy fight for Joe, put him in against the winner of Sherk-Franca.

It was great to see Guillard's face after getting his ass handed to him.

ASUcruz
April 6th, 2007, 09:07 AM
Pretty good night of MMA last night. Joe Stevenson looked great. Guillard is a dangerous striker/fighter but you can tell he's still a little sloppy on the ground, especially on the bottom. Stevenson sunk in the choke and Guillard was done. I think Stevenson is ready for a title shot at Sherk/Franca. Maybe even have him compete in the LW Grand Prix that Pride has scheduled for this year. That would be a great test for him.

Kenny Florian also impressed. I had no idea who he was fighting but Ken Flo's strikes, especially his leg kicks were devestating. He looked like he was in good shape and is primed to work his way back up the latter. I think a Guillard-Florian fight would be really exciting.

Finally, TUF 5 looks great. I respect Pulver as a fighter but for whatever reason he annoys me. Maybe its the way he talks, but he just gets under my skin. Anyways, I thought it was hilarious that Penn had all the fighters raise their hands during the picking. The look on Dana's face during the whole process was pretty hilarious.

Anyways, looks like there's potential for a lot of drama, with Rudiger's weight problems and breakdown. Hill, Miller, and Diaz seem like the cocky loudmouths of the bunch and they are all on one team.

The fight was a clear mismatch, the guy fighting for Penn's team was some 30 year old who owns a restaurant... That guy had no chance, his striking was awful and even though he scored a takedown he couldn't do anything and got caught in a triangle. Looking forward to next week though, looks like the **** hits the fan pretty quickly.

ASUcruz
April 6th, 2007, 09:27 AM
UFC 69

Pretty excited about this card. I'll breakdown and predict the fights I'm most interested in.

GSP Vs. Serra

Pretty clear mismatch here. GSP is bigger, stronger, and he has more tools in his tool box. The only edge Serra has is BJJ, but GSP has great take down defense and pretty good BJJ in his own right. I think GSP will approach this fight like the Sean Sherk fight. He'll touch up Serra on the outside, and then mix it up and take Serra down and pound him out. I think GSP takes this one pretty easy. I'll say KO in round one.

Sanchez Vs. Koscheck

This is a really intriguing fight. Both guys have improved a lot since TUF 1. Sanchez looked great in his fight against Joe Riggs and Koscheck has been steadily improving. This is a tough fight to call, I think Sanchez will try and keep the fight standing at first because he thinks Koscheck doesn't have much skill standing up. But Koscheck has been training with a good camp(AKA) and I think his striking is decent-good at this point. But Koscheck's bread and butter his still his wrestling, for my money he's probably the best wrestler pound for pound in MMA. What makes this fight more interesting is the trash talking war that's been going on between these 2. Seems like they reallly don't like each other. I'm not a big Diego fan, but I think he takes this one. Sanchez has a huge gas tank and a great fighiting spirit. I think he breaks Koscheck's will in round 2, pounds him out a bit and gets a submission. That being said, Koscheck is a pretty good value bet.

Yushin Okami Vs. Mike Swick

Another interesting fight. Mike Swick has been on a roll lately and he needs to win this fight to prove he's worthy of a title shot. Yushin Okami has burst onto the scene, and while most of his fights haven't been shown he has been very impressive. From what I've seen, he has a devestating ground and pound and I think he takes this one. Swick has never impressed me for whatever reason. The Crow fight was his biggest win and Crow didn't seem like he was there. And even then, Swick wasn't all that impressive. I think Okami pounds out Swick in the first round.

Heath Herring Vs. Brad Imes

Really hoping they air this fight on TV. Herring looked awful and sloppy in his fight against Jake O'Brien. It was a bit of a tough matchup as O'Brien is a wrestler so he laid and prayed his way to victory. This match is going to be a slug fest though. Both guys like to stand and trade and it could end in spectacular fasion. I'll have to go with Herring by KO in the 2nd.

Also on this card is Kendall Grove. He's fighting Alan Belcher. Don't really know much about Belcher, but he has an impressive record. Seems like it will be a good test for Grove, I like him a lot, hope he pulls it out.

OvertimeHero
April 6th, 2007, 09:29 AM
Pretty good night of MMA last night. Joe Stevenson looked great. Guillard is a dangerous striker/fighter but you can tell he's still a little sloppy on the ground, especially on the bottom. Stevenson sunk in the choke and Guillard was done. I think Stevenson is ready for a title shot at Sherk/Franca. Maybe even have him compete in the LW Grand Prix that Pride has scheduled for this year. That would be a great test for him.

Agreed, Joe Daddy looked great (for the entire 30 seconds...lol).

Kenny Florian also impressed. I had no idea who he was fighting but Ken Flo's strikes, especially his leg kicks were devestating. He looked like he was in good shape and is primed to work his way back up the latter. I think a Guillard-Florian fight would be really exciting.

Ken Flo was fighting Dokonjonosuke Mishima (the same guy that Joe Daddy choked out in his last fight). That leg lock that Mishima got in the 3rd looked nasty though. I really thought Ken Flo would tap. But other than that, it was cetainly all Ken Flo and his DEVESTATING leg kicks.

Justin McCully Vs. Antoni Hardonk was pretty boring. McCully sat back too much for a guy out of the Team Punishment camp. And Hardonk was given chance after chance for an armbar and just never really tried for it (except for the one at the end of the 1st of course). McCully was just leaving that arm out there and several times put it right in between Hardonk's legs and left it there for a second or two. But for whatever reason, Hardonk just wouldn't try it again. He looked pretty gassed after the 1st, and had pretty lackluster takedown defense. He looked to be getting something going in the 3rd with the knees, but McCully took him down and kept feeding him punches and elbows.

Also a very nice ankle lock by Kurt Pellegrino on Nate Mohr.

Just got up, haven't watched TUF 5 yet, so I stopped reading your comments ASU when I noticed you started talking about it...lol.

ASUcruz
April 6th, 2007, 09:54 AM
Agreed, Joe Daddy looked great (for the entire 30 seconds...lol).

Yup, how do you think he'd do against Sherk? I'm a big Sherk fan as well and I think that's a tough matchup for Joe. But he's done nothing but impress. I figure it would be a good fight. I wonder if the UFC would want to have Sherk fight some of Pride's Lightweight guys first. They have a ton of talent at that division. Gomi, Melendez, and Ayoki would all make for great fights with the Muscle Shark.

Just got up, haven't watched TUF 5 yet, so I stopped reading your comments ASU when I noticed you started talking about it...lol.

Haha, hope I didn't spoil anything for you. Make sure you post up your thoughts in the thread. Be good to get some discussion going about the show.

OvertimeHero
April 6th, 2007, 01:30 PM
Yup, how do you think he'd do against Sherk? I'm a big Sherk fan as well and I think that's a tough matchup for Joe. But he's done nothing but impress. I figure it would be a good fight. I wonder if the UFC would want to have Sherk fight some of Pride's Lightweight guys first. They have a ton of talent at that division. Gomi, Melendez, and Ayoki would all make for great fights with the Muscle Shark.

I agree that Joe's done nothing but impress, but I just think right now, he's too over-confient and I think Sherk is too good to get caught in one of Joe's submissions.

Like I've noted before, I'm not very knowledgable on Pride fighters (though I believe there's a card on Sunday that I'll have to download and watch on Monday), but I've heard lots about Gomi and from what I hear, he would be a good one to bring in, fight with Joe Daddy and have the winner fight Sherk.

Haha, hope I didn't spoil anything for you. Make sure you post up your thoughts in the thread. Be good to get some discussion going about the show.

No, you didn't spoil anything! Thought the first episode was good. I honestly thought Dana was gonna turn around and smack BJ for a second during the picks. And I don't know if Jens intentionally wore out all the guys, but I found that pretty funny. I didn't realize how much bad blood there actually is between Jens & BJ. It's almost at the Ortiz-Shamrock level. Can't wait for the finale when they fight.

As for the match: Berube looked a little anxoius and Miller looked cool as a cucumber in there, hence the submission. Something seemed up with Miller after the fight though. He kinda had a look on his face like he was going to cry and then he ran out of the ring to the dressing room. Very strange.

I must say that I found it odd that even though all Team Pulver seemed to realize that Ruediger was out of shape, that they let him off the hook. He's now got an extra couple of days to get in shape and lose some of that weight, and hopefully that doesn't turn out to be a big mistake by Pulver. I know if it was me, I would've made sure and picked him. Just for the fact that the amount of cutting he would've had to do (granted, Team Pulver didn't know how much over he was, they just had the hunch that he was over) would've destroyed him before he even stepped in the cage.

Thoughts ASU?

Next episode looks like it's going to be crazy. Joe Rogan kept saying during UFN that this season was nuts, and it certainly looks that way.

OvertimeHero
April 6th, 2007, 06:29 PM
And as far as tomorrow night: GO GSP!!! I frickin love that guy. An absolute stud. One of the things I love about him is how honest he is (or at least seems). In the 2 Spike specials this week (countdown & all access) he said he wasn't going to take Serra lightly, and one can't help but believe him. The only way Serra gets out of the 1st round is if GSP does take him lightly. Yes, Serra has the better ju-jitsu, but GSP is still bigger and stronger and I truly hope that he holds onto that belt for quite a while. At this point, I don't even see Sanchez or Koscheck having a snowball's chance in hell of beating him. But maybe that's the Canadian pride in me talking.

As for the rest: I think Sanchez in the late 2nd by TKO, Okami via decision & Hearing via KO in the mid 3rd.

ASUcruz
April 6th, 2007, 08:26 PM
I agree that Joe's done nothing but impress, but I just think right now, he's too over-confient and I think Sherk is too good to get caught in one of Joe's submissions.

Like I've noted before, I'm not very knowledgable on Pride fighters (though I believe there's a card on Sunday that I'll have to download and watch on Monday), but I've heard lots about Gomi and from what I hear, he would be a good one to bring in, fight with Joe Daddy and have the winner fight Sherk.

Interesting that you think Stevenson is over confident. I don't really get that sense at all. He seems to be one of the more humble guys in MMA. I mean after giving Melvin Guillard a clinic he could have easily talked a ton of trash on Melvin but instead took the high road. Really impressive. What maeks you think he's over-confident?

Also, I think that if Gomi fights in the UFC he'll probably fight Sherk right away since he is Pride's LW champion(even though he's lost twice in non-title bouts). Or they'd feed him a can so the UFC fans get an idea of who he is before they throw him in with Sherk. I don't think they'd give him as tough a matchup as Joe Daddy.

OvertimeHero
April 6th, 2007, 09:58 PM
He's not the main event, I'm the main event. He made the main event because he's fighting me.

Mentally, physically, I think there's a lot of things that I'm going to be better than him at.

These don't sound like the words of a humble man to me. It was also funny to hear Stevenson talk (in the pre-fight clips) about Guillard's cockiness, when IMO, he's just as bad.

Granted, he's nowhere near as cocky or overconfident as Hughes, but to me, he doesn't seem that far off.

ASUcruz
April 6th, 2007, 11:21 PM
These don't sound like the words of a humble man to me. It was also funny to hear Stevenson talk (in the pre-fight clips) about Guillard's cockiness, when IMO, he's just as bad.

Granted, he's nowhere near as cocky or overconfident as Hughes, but to me, he doesn't seem that far off.

Watch this video

http://www.sherdog.com/videos/videos.asp?v_id=1148

Doesn't seem very cocky to me. I think his actions after the fight speak for itself. He could have easily talked trash on Guillard after handing him his lunch and didn't. Seems like a nice guy to me.

SmytheKing
April 7th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Personally I'm real excited about the next year or so in MMA. Hopefully all the guys that we want to fight will finally be able to. I'm hearing rumors over at Sherdog about Fedor and Bodog and Wanderlei not coming over. . .but I gotta believe they're not true.

As for this weekend. . .I'll be surprised if Serra can make it much of a fight. He's got heart, but GSP is just so damn good. I can't see Serra beating him really. I AM excited about the Koscheck Sanchez fight. I really don't like either of them, but I've NEVER liked Sanchez. Can't deny his talent, but it's the attitude that kills me. I just hope the two of them beat the hell out of each other and Sanchez loses. Should be a good fight though.

While this card is a little underwhelming. . .next UFC should be ridiculous. Aside from all the fights that are on it. . .the damn thing is free. Can't beat that at all.

OvertimeHero
April 7th, 2007, 04:34 PM
Watch this video

http://www.sherdog.com/videos/videos.asp?v_id=1148

Doesn't seem very cocky to me. I think his actions after the fight speak for itself. He could have easily talked trash on Guillard after handing him his lunch and didn't. Seems like a nice guy to me.

I'll admit that he does seem sincere in that interview. So I'll retract my cocky comment, but for whatever reason he still seems over-confident to me. I believe that the pre-fight talk says as much about one's character as the post-fight talk. I'll all for believing in your own abilities, but with Stevenson, it seems to me like he "believes his own hype". But I'm sure he's a nice guy outside the cage.

ASUcruz
April 7th, 2007, 10:35 PM
WOW! I am ****ing speechless.

I never thought that was going to happend.

Serra TKOs GSP.

Holy ****...

Mr. Irreverent
April 7th, 2007, 10:46 PM
WOW! I am ****ing speechless.

I never thought that was going to happend.

Serra TKOs GSP.

Holy ****...

No kidding! He kind of got lucky and I think Serra knows it...

The Sanchez fight was TOTALLY RETARDED!!!!!!!!!!

ASUcruz
April 7th, 2007, 11:08 PM
No kidding! He kind of got lucky and I think Serra knows it...

Lucky perhaps, but lets give the guy some credit. He wasn't afraid to get inside GSP's reach and he finished GSP when he had him hurt.

I'm not a big fan of Diego so I'm happy to see him lose. But I always respected him. After tonight I no longer respect Diego. He knew he was losing in the third round and instead of fighting like a mad man to preserve his record he pussied out and didn't take any risks. No heart from Diego, especially after all that trash talk.

It was a boring fight, but Koscheck fought a good technical fight and he should get credit for doing so.

Mr. Irreverent
April 8th, 2007, 02:30 AM
Lucky perhaps, but lets give the guy some credit. He wasn't afraid to get inside GSP's reach and he finished GSP when he had him hurt.

I'm not a big fan of Diego so I'm happy to see him lose. But I always respected him. After tonight I no longer respect Diego. He knew he was losing in the third round and instead of fighting like a mad man to preserve his record he pussied out and didn't take any risks. No heart from Diego, especially after all that trash talk.

It was a boring fight, but Koscheck fought a good technical fight and he should get credit for doing so.

Agreed. It was definitely a good UFC event overall, barring the Sanchez/Koscheck fight which was downright frustrating!

SmytheKing
April 8th, 2007, 03:12 AM

I'm still totally stunned that Serra won. Totally. I was joking with the people I was watching it with that this has the makings of a phenomenal upset. Not that I ever thought it would happen. . .just that it seems like that sort of set up.

As far as the Koscheck fight, I'd have to agree. He fought a brilliant fight. Diego didn't do a damn thing the entire time. In three rounds he hardly did anything at all. He stood around and anytime he made a move to get inside, it was half hearted. If Koscheck didn't land a good right, Deigo would back up anyway. Can't put into words how happy I am about that result. . .and I don't even like Kos.

Can we get a **** yeah for that LW fight too? Jesus those guys showed some heart and some chins. Yeah. Sometimes it was sloppy, but you gotta give credit to those guys. Just unloaded on each other and neither would quit.

ASUcruz
April 8th, 2007, 09:50 AM
WOW

I'm watching the morning Sportscenter and they showed highlights of GSP-Serra. That threw me for a loop.

ibleedkngs
April 8th, 2007, 09:59 AM
Yeah they also showed it last night on the 10 pm sportscenter.

Still can't believe that happened though. Serra was a huge underdog and when stuff like this happens I sometimes wonder if money has a roll in the fights. I sure hope not.

Crapgame13
April 8th, 2007, 10:07 AM
War Serra

also the Pride PPV last night Sokodojou beat Arona...the guy's 2 for 2 in upsets

ASUcruz
April 8th, 2007, 10:15 AM
War Serra

also the Pride PPV last night Sokodojou beat Arona...the guy's 2 for 2 in upsets

Yea, heard it was a weak pride card but was surprised to see that result. Sojojodou is the Brazillian Top Team killer.

Roody
April 8th, 2007, 12:57 PM

That guy is a friggin BEAST! Beats little Nog and Arona? I would love to see him fight Chuck or Shogun.

But the biggest news of the PRIDE show was the return of KAZUSHI SAKURABA!!!! He was all emotional because it was the end of an era for PRIDE, and he says he will fight in the PRIDE ring again.

Personally, even though he is far and away my favorite fighter of all time, he needs to hang them up. He is too broken down to continue fighting and hasn't been the same since Wandy destroyed him. I don't want him to turn into Ken Shamrock. But I think the most fitting thing would be to somehow schedule some sort of exhibition with Rickson. But Rickson won't do it in order to preserve his "aura."

lagwagon0
April 8th, 2007, 05:27 PM
Just watched last night's event and I'm still in disbelief.

lath19
April 8th, 2007, 05:37 PM

My friends are all in to your 909 sport so I give them chances to get me hooked. Every time I go out to watch a UFC fight I come back somehow thinking less of it. I showed up at the start of the Sanchez fight and was ready to leave after it ended. They didn't do anything. The highlight was a single jab. The only time either guy went after each other was at the end of the round when they knew the bell would save them. Weak.

The title fight was a little better but not much. They basically did nothing for a while and then one guy got knocked out. At least it didn't end in a submission hold after 2 minutes (which is pretty much how every previous fight I've seen has ended).

SmytheKing
April 8th, 2007, 05:44 PM
My friends are all in to your 909 sport so I give them chances to get me hooked. Every time I go out to watch a UFC fight I come back somehow thinking less of it. I showed up at the start of the Sanchez fight and was ready to leave after it ended. They didn't do anything. The highlight was a single jab. The only time either guy went after each other was at the end of the round when they knew the bell would save them. Weak.

The title fight was a little better but not much. They basically did nothing for a while and then one guy got knocked out. At least it didn't end in a submission hold after 2 minutes (which is pretty much how every previous fight I've seen has ended).
It's a shame you missed the fight right before Sanchez and Koscheck then. Will probably go down as one of the best fights this year and it was a couple of "nobodies". From time to time you get fights like that one last night. To compare it to a boxing fight. . .I'd say it's like any Chris Byrd fight. Technically strong, but leaves a lot to be desired. On other occasions though, you'll get a war where two guys go at it for several rounds. . .like the fight before. Give it some more time. The next card should be good.

MadDog20/20
April 8th, 2007, 06:53 PM
But the biggest news of the PRIDE show was the return of KAZUSHI SAKURABA!!!! He was all emotional because it was the end of an era for PRIDE, and he says he will fight in the PRIDE ring again.

Personally, even though he is far and away my favorite fighter of all time, he needs to hang them up. He is too broken down to continue fighting and hasn't been the same since Wandy destroyed him. I don't want him to turn into Ken Shamrock. But I think the most fitting thing would be to somehow schedule some sort of exhibition with Rickson. But Rickson won't do it in order to preserve his "aura."

Kazushi is also one of my favorite fighters along with Randy! I would've loved to have seen him live at a PRIDE event but that probably will never happen. He needs to just retire. He is one of the all time MMA greats and doesn't have any more to prove. An exhibition would be great but him getting into the ring again just makes me nervous.

Crapgame13
April 8th, 2007, 08:21 PM
I just found it funny that two guys who hate each other like Koscheck and Sanchez acted like total pussies

now that Zuffa has bought Pride, it's time to bring a little from each into the other.

Time for the Yellow Card in the UFC or elimination of the 10 point must.

OvertimeHero
April 8th, 2007, 10:07 PM
I just finished watching the card. I am totally speechless. I can't believe GSP lost. Never in a million years did I expect that. Congrats to Serra, but he knows he got a little lucky. GSP almost ducked that first shot, just grazed him enough in the back of the head to stun him, but give credit to Serra, his follow up shots were all on the money after that. He didn't back off and give GSP ANY time to recover.

Other than that, the Huerta / Garcia fight was amazing. Both guys just giving it their all. Garcia was getting rocked time and time again, but gotta hand it to the kid, he never gave up and just kept smiling the whole time. Huerta seems to have a great chin too. Several times Garcia landed great shots right on the chin, and Garcia barely moved. Granted, quite a few of these were later in the match when Garcia was tired, but they were good shots nonetheless, and Huerta just shrugged every one off.

The Sanchez / Koscheck fight was horrible by both. They were both p***ies. The hatred was so immense that neither wanted to try ANYTHING for fear of losing. Koscheck was way too happy over such a s***ty win. Yes, he handed Sanchez his first loss, but he only did so by being less crappy than Diego. I think the end of the 1st where Kos shot and Diego quickly transitioned to his back and took it kinda freaked Kos out a bit.

Belcher / Grove: well, it was exactly as expected, with Kendall coming out on top. Belcher just couldn't really get anything started because of Kendall's reach advantage. I'm actually not that big on Grove, but the kid does have talent. I really like the way he uses those straight leg kicks. I just wish he'd stop trying to be Tito Jr. by stealing his "grave-digger" celebration and carrying the 2 flags to the ring with him. Just get your own schtick.

Swick / Okami: was it just me, or did Swick look nervous the whole time? Didn't seem willing to push the pace at all or willing to take a jab or 2 to land some combos. The only real time Swick looked like himself was at the end of the 2nd when he rocked Okami. Too bad he ran out of time. Was he really that worried about Okami's strength?

So, back to the welterweights. Where does the UFC go from here? Personally, I think Sanchez & Koscheck both fought their way OUT of a title shot with their performances. I think both are going to have to come back with a couple of dominant, exciting fights to get a shot, because after that performance, I don't think many fans would be too excited to see either in a title fight if they can't deliver a good performance. That was like watching a Tim Sylvia fight.

I think the next fight should be Serra / Hughes, with GSP getting the winner (most likely Hughes) in Montreal. In the meantime, not sure who you give to GSP as a tune-up. Any thoughts?

Mr. Irreverent
April 9th, 2007, 03:26 AM
My friends are all in to your 909 sport so I give them chances to get me hooked.

What part of Brazil is the 909 in? Just curious....:good:

ASUcruz
April 11th, 2007, 09:29 AM
Alright it has been a few days since UFC 69 and I think most everyone has recovered from the shock. So let's talk about what happens now for each fighter. We'll start from the top

Matt Serra

This one is pretty easy. I think the UFC sets up a Serra-Hughes title for the belt. If you watched TUF 4 you know that Serra doens't like Hughes that much and apparently Hughes doesn't like Serra all that much. It's a fight the UFC can sell because Serra is well known now and is talkative and likeable guy who can sell a fight. Hughes gets his quick title shot because he's Matt Hughes and Dana loves him.

Georges St. Pierre

GSP will be back. He's too good and well rounded a fighter to not reclaim the belt. The question is who does the UFC put in against him. Maybe Josh Koscheck? I'm not sure if Koscheck is ready for GSP or if Dana will give Koscheck that fight, apparently him and Joe Silva wern't too happy about that fight. Personally I'd love to see GSP fight Koscheck to see how GSP handles Koscheck's wrestling and to see if Koscheck has what it takes against an elite fighter. Actually I think the UFC will set up a GSP-Koscheck fight since whoever wins will get a title shot.

Josh Koscheck

Like I mentioned above a GSP fight is looming. Even though his fight with Diego wasn't very exciting, whoever they throw at GSP has to be a legit contender only to set up the next fight. For example if they give GSP, Jon Fitch and Jon Fitch wins, the UFC would have to consider giving Fitch a title shot when he doesn't really deserve one and they have one of their stars with 2 ugly losses on his record. Doensn't seem like good business.

Diego Sanchez

What to do with the Nightmare... The UFC can set up a Sanchez-Parisyan rematch. Their first fight was a really good one and it would sell. Plus we haven't seen Karo in awhile. Koscheck's teammate Jon Fitch would be a good opponent as well. Whoever he fights, it is must win for Diego.

Roger Huerta

This guy was really impressive. He could definitley be a force at 155 that gives Sean Sherk some trouble. It seems though that Joe Stevenson is in line for a title shot. The UFC is doing a good job of building up their 155 LB division and there are a couple good fights out there for Huerta. I think a fight against Melvin Guillard would be a great one. Both guys will stand and bang and there would be fireworks in that fight while it lasted.

Leonard Garcia

Garcia showed a ton of heart in his bout against Huerta and will definitley be a player in the 155 LB division. How about a Garcia-Kenny Florian fight. That could be a good one.

Yushin Okami

Okami is a tough, tough matchup for anybody at 185 because of his strength. Rich Franklin is next in line for the title shot if he can get past Marvin Kampmann. So Okami has to wait some for a title shot. Maybe throw him in against the loser of Anderson Silva-Nate Marqhuardt.

Mike Swick

If you watch Sherdog's post fight interview with Swick, you'll hear him say that he thinks he's too small for 185. But if he moves down to 170 there won't be too many fights for him because he won't fight his AKA teammates(Koscheck and Fitch). If he stays at 185, I think the UFC will set up a rematch with Chris Leban, a fight they wanted to do in December but Swick's hand was hurt.

Kendall Grove

Very imressive performance from Kendall. I think the UFC will take the same approach with Kendall that they did with Diego Sanchez. Build him up slowly, because he's a very talented and young fighter. I would like to see Grove fight Jason McDonald

Heath Herring

Didn't see the fight but by all accounts Herring was impressive in a 3 round decision over Brad Imes. Herring is a big name and an exciting fighter. He deserves to be on the main card of a PPV. How about a Herring-Brandon Vera fight. That woould be an exciting one.

Brodie_5_6_2
April 13th, 2007, 04:01 AM
aside for one fight UFC 70 totally sucked balls. 2 idiots acting like bad asses who fought like winnies. and the worst announcers I've ever heard, just as bad if not worse then Hayward. this was my first UFC event and no way this even compares to PRIDE. I don't get the hype that UFC gets. give me Kicks to the head and 10 min 1st rounds!!

OvertimeHero
April 13th, 2007, 05:37 AM
aside for one fight UFC 70 totally sucked balls. 2 idiots acting like bad asses who fought like winnies. and the worst announcers I've ever heard, just as bad if not worse then Hayward. this was my first UFC event and no way this even compares to PRIDE. I don't get the hype that UFC gets. give me Kicks to the head and 10 min 1st rounds!!

Wow, you can see the future? So who won at UFC 70? Cro Cop? Bisping? j/k

But I totally get what you're saying, Pride 34 was SO much better than UFC 69 [/sarcasm]. I do like the 10 min first round, but I am totally not a fan of the kick to the head (on the ground). I was really impressed by Sokoudjou, but other than his performance, I was pretty bored watching that card. And some of their refs should have their eyes checked. Don Frye was f***ing out on his feet for a minute before the ref stopped it. That was totally unneccessary.

Granted, I've only seen 2 Pride cards so far, and the last Pride card was pretty good. But overall, I haven't seen too much to justify all these people, like yourself, who say that Pride by far has the better fighters.

Diablito93
April 13th, 2007, 10:20 AM
Wow, you can see the future? So who won at UFC 70? Cro Cop? Bisping? j/k

But overall, I haven't seen too much to justify all these people, like yourself, who say that Pride by far has the better fighters.

It won't matter much since they are both owned by the same people now. I think there are some better heavyweights in the Pride system but in the lower weights UFC is more diverse. It will be pretty cool to see more mixes and matches with fighters from both systems.

sarf
April 13th, 2007, 11:13 AM
Well, now that UFC has signed CroCop(soon to be UFC HW champion), Quinton Rampage Jackson(could very well beat Chuck), and recently Big Nog...they're probably even on talent right now. But back then, these guys had to take a back seat to better fighters like Fedor, Wandy, Henderson...I would say no question that Pride had better fighters. But now, it doesn't really matter like Diablito said.

OvertimeHero
April 13th, 2007, 01:33 PM
A post-fight urinalysis has revealed that lightweight contender Melvin Guillard tested positive for the banned substance Benzoylecgonine, a cocaine metabolite, following his first round submission loss to Joe Stevenson at UFC Fight Night in Las Vegas on April 5th. Guillard faces a possible fine and suspension from the Nevada State Athletic Commission.

You'd think if he was all doped up, he would have fared a little better. lol

OvertimeHero
April 13th, 2007, 01:41 PM
just a couple of atricles I found

GEORGES ST. PIERRE TAKING LOSS IN STRIDE (http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=3766&zoneid=13)

thought this was interesting:

There are a few fighters that will give Georges that motivation, namely Matt Hughes. Hughes was caught chuckling and pointing at St. Pierre after his loss to Serra. “I saw what he did and don’t worry, it’s in my mind. I can’t wait to have a chance to fight him. When I knocked him out, I didn’t laugh at him and make fun of the situation.”

UFC president Dana White sends shout-out to Canadian MMA fans (http://www.canada.com/topics/sports/story.html?id=9513f738-025c-44fe-a590-2ca9a5c73fd0&k=29902)

I didn't realize so many of my fellow Canucks were into MMA.

Crapgame13
April 13th, 2007, 05:11 PM
Melvin was on cocaine when he lost to Joe Daddy

ASUcruz
April 14th, 2007, 11:06 AM
So are you Pride junkies excited about Nogueira fighting in the UFC?

I'd love to see a Minotauro-Crop Cop rematch.

Here's some clips from their first fight.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=e1awhxqXUWQ

SmytheKing
April 15th, 2007, 02:09 PM
What a bunch of unlikeable MF'ers on tuf huh? Christ all mighty. Is there ANYONE that you guys want to win that damn thing? You've got retards, aholes, and punks running around that house and is it wrong to hope all of them lose? It's like a house full of Diego Sanchez's and Nick Diaz's (actually. . .)

Ugh. . .

MadDog20/20
April 18th, 2007, 02:57 PM
Summary of a conference call with Dana and Cro-Cop, Dana talks matchups, rules, HBO and upcoming cards.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?t=552980

Roody
April 20th, 2007, 05:51 PM
From Wrestlingobserver.com

--Arguably the most famous match in MMA history, Royce Gracie vs. Kazushi Sakuraba, held on May 1, 2000, at the Tokyo Dome, is likely to be rematched on 6/2 as part of the Los Angeles Coliseum combined K-1 Hero's and EXC show. The match is not official, but both sides have agreed and it has been put for to the California State Athletic Commission for approval. Sakuraba won the original no time limit match in 90 minutes, in the match that pretty made Sakuraba a national hero in Japan.

HOLY ****ING ****, BATMAN!

I am so there!!!!

The first fight was somewhat boring, but Saku made it pretty entertaining. Plus, it just didn't make Saku a national hero, but a friggin' DEMIGOD!

I have the match on my computer. I suggest everyone go find it and download it. Any self-respecting MMA fan should see it.

Roody
April 20th, 2007, 05:57 PM
So are you Pride junkies excited about Nogueira fighting in the UFC?

I'd love to see a Minotauro-Crop Cop rematch.

Here's some clips from their first fight.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=e1awhxqXUWQ

Nogueira is a tough tough bastard. The beating Fedor put on him would have not just killed a normal man, but would have gone back in time and killed all his freakin' ancestors.

I am more excited about Shogun signing a deal with Pride/UFC guarenteeing him 2 or 3 fights in each. Shogun v Chuck or Shogun v Hendo would be AWESOME!

Oh, and that Nog/Cro-Cop fight is one of the all-time best. It is my dad's favorite fight of all time. He couldn't believe Nog pulled it out after the savagery Mirko put him through.

And I hope to god James Thompson catches on in either org. He lists one of his former jobs as "gypsy remover." Need I say more?

ASUcruz
April 20th, 2007, 07:06 PM
Make sure you guys catch the free card tommorow. Its on tape delay so try and avoid Sherdog as they'll have the results posted up.

lagwagon0
April 20th, 2007, 08:52 PM
Big night for MMA. A free PPV quality event is just great.

MadDog20/20
April 21st, 2007, 07:28 PM
From Wrestlingobserver.com

HOLY ****ING ****, BATMAN!

I am so there!!!!

The first fight was somewhat boring, but Saku made it pretty entertaining. Plus, it just didn't make Saku a national hero, but a friggin' DEMIGOD!

I have the match on my computer. I suggest everyone go find it and download it. Any self-respecting MMA fan should see it.

DAMN!!!!! This is awesome!!!!! I'll be there for sure!

ASUcruz
April 21st, 2007, 07:31 PM
I wonder if they'll fight using the "Gracie" rules. Since the fight is in America I'd imagine that they'd have to use the unified rules.

Mateo
April 21st, 2007, 10:00 PM
HOLY SHEEP ****! tHAT WAS AMAZING!

Frolovian
April 21st, 2007, 10:04 PM
Hey guys. New to this thread.

Karo Parisyan is my cousin :D

sarf
April 21st, 2007, 10:13 PM
That was an insane head kick, I bet Dana is pissed...Gonzaga just ruined a Couture-Cro Cop ppv.

ibleedkngs
April 21st, 2007, 10:15 PM
Omfg I can't believe Cro Cop lost.

I would have liked to seen him vs Randy

lagwagon0
April 22nd, 2007, 01:01 AM
Unfrickenbelievable.

lagwagon0
April 22nd, 2007, 01:02 AM
So much for CroCop's reign in the ufc.My guess is the Crocop will retire. He's been underwhelming in two fights and doesnt seem to have the motivation to fight anymore. As for the PPV itself, pretty underwhelming. For all the manlove I've given Arlovski over the y ears, the fact that he goes into shell after taking any dmg at all really bothers me.

SDG517
April 22nd, 2007, 01:17 AM
Did anyone see the way Cro Cop landed on his ankle/leg? Ouch.

borinka99
April 22nd, 2007, 01:30 AM
Wow, can't believe Mirko lost!! And the Arlovski fight was horrible, he better come out firing for his next match.

doctordestructo
April 22nd, 2007, 09:03 AM
Did anyone see the way Cro Cop landed on his ankle/leg? Ouch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCe_HD4WKJw

http://i13.tinypic.com/30xbiqe.jpg

OvertimeHero
April 22nd, 2007, 10:22 AM
Wow. What a kick. Kinda ironic that Cro Cop lost like that. But I was surprised he could stand at the end, I really thought he had f***ed up his ankle or knee the way he fell on it.

ASUcruz
April 22nd, 2007, 10:24 AM
I want to write up a summary and "who I want to see them fight next" but I'm still in shock.

ibleedkngs
April 22nd, 2007, 10:44 AM
So much for CroCop's reign in the ufc.My guess is the Crocop will retire. He's been underwhelming in two fights and doesnt seem to have the motivation to fight anymore. As for the PPV itself, pretty underwhelming. For all the manlove I've given Arlovski over the y ears, the fact that he goes into shell after taking any dmg at all really bothers me.

Yeah he's been saying that any fight could be his last. I hope that's not true though.

Got to give a shout out to my fav fighter Vitor Belfort. He won via TKO last night in cage rage. I hope he can make it back to the big show

MadDog20/20
April 22nd, 2007, 03:16 PM
Wow, amazing! I was pissed that I wasn't able to get my money down on Gonzaga in time because of the tape delay. Anybody who put money on him really came up.

ibleedkngs
April 22nd, 2007, 06:44 PM
Good news!!!!!

from http://www.crocop.tk

Mirko arrived to his hometown today, he was limping a bit. He said: I deserved that loss because of the way i was fighting. I fall down every now and then, i was twice in this situation, after Randleman and after Fedor and i got back up again, i will be back this time too, that is a part of my career. I have 4 more fights to come and i will do them all.

borinka99
April 23rd, 2007, 12:37 AM
Yay!

OvertimeHero
April 23rd, 2007, 09:21 AM
here's a different link to the vid, as Zuffa has already taken it off youtube.

http://www.crocop.de/gonzaga

ASUcruz
April 23rd, 2007, 10:12 AM
Alright, I think enough time has passed since UFC 70 to post coherently about MMA. What does everything think about where each fighter goes from here? I'll stop with the top down focusing on the fighters I am intrigued by. Feel free to add your thoughts on these guys as well as some fighters I didn't mention.

Gabriel Gonzaga

This one is easy since the UFC billed the main even as a #1 contender's spot. Gonzaga will fight Couture next probably a few months from now in Vegas. Gonzaga presents a lot of problems to Randy as Randy struggled with bigger guys when he first moved down from HW. Now I know he handled Tim Sylvia, but the guys he struggled with were grapplers that were bigger than him rather than strikers ie Josh Barnett. Gonzaga is a pretty big guy and by all accounts his BJJ is good. Randy will have to fight the perfect fight to beat Gonzaga. He'll have to fight from the top and be wary of submission attempts from the bottom. He'll also have to beat Gonzaga to the punch when the fight is standing. Many think that Dana White is probably pretty pissed that his Couture-Cro Cop match is now delayed. While I think that's true, its not as bad as it seems. With the way Gonzaga won, the UFC can market Gonzaga as a monster and build him up pretty well. So I think its a fight that will still sell. Plus people really love Randy.

Mirko Cro Cop

Well I'm glad to hear that Cro Cop isn't considering retiring. From ibleedkngs' post it seems that Cro Cop hasn't lost motivation and will be a more determined fighter. Maybe this serves as a wake up call to him. I think many of us were worried because in the past Cro Cop has always talked about retiring, in the run up to last year's Open Weight Grand Prix, Cro Cop stated that if he didn't win he would retire. Anyways, I'm going to assume that Cro Cop will need awhile to recover his leg/knee/ankle looked pretty gruesome. Who does the UFC put him in with when he comes back though? Here's an idea, I don't think Dana is in a hurry to bring Tim Sylvia back. With Big Nog, Vera, Herring, etc. in the HW division, Sylvia might be put on the back burner. Plus he has a back injury he needs to recover from. Maybe set up a Cro Cop-Sylvia fight when both guys are ready? If not Sylvia probably a can in the Eddie Sanchez mold to build Mirko some momentum.

Andre Arlovski

AA was a bit disappointing in this fight. The first round was pretty good, lots of action then Arlovski went into Tim Sylvia mode and just stayed away and didn't engage. He did just enough to win the fight so props to him for that but I don't think he endeared himself to Dana White and his fans for that matter. Granted it was a tricky matchup and he didn't want to go to the ground with Werdum. How about setting Arlovski up with Chiek Kongo. Both guys will want to keep the fight standing and Kongo is a dynamic striker in his own right. This fight would be a fight of the year candidate while it lasts I think.

Fabricio Werdum

Why didn't this guy try and shoot and pull guard more? He was clearly outclassed standing. Even when he did try and stand with Arlovski he wasn't very aggressive. Anyways, maybe they can put him in with big Nog to help Nogueira get over with the American fans. Although there are rumors of a Nogueira-Vera matchup. While I think this fight would be exciting, it doesn't make much sense as I don't know why the UFC would want to ruin one of their title contenders when there are other fights they could make. If that fight happens, I'm all for it though.

Michael Bisping

Elvis gave the Brit a scare but Bisping was pretty impressive. His ground and pound was pretty devestating and when the fight was standing he was getting the better of the fight. He got caught with a knee that came out of nowhere but recovered and his submission defense looked really good. I was really impressed by Bisping's cardio. He pushed the fight relentlessly and gassed Sinosic. I think Bisping needs a step up in competition to show whether or not he can do it against upper echelon guys. Maybe a fight with Forrest Griffin? Or with Ryoto Machida who also won on this card.

SmytheKing
April 23rd, 2007, 02:37 PM
Gabriel Gonzaga

This one is easy since the UFC billed the main even as a #1 contender's spot. Gonzaga will fight Couture next probably a few months from now in Vegas. Gonzaga presents a lot of problems to Randy as Randy struggled with bigger guys when he first moved down from HW. Now I know he handled Tim Sylvia, but the guys he struggled with were grapplers that were bigger than him rather than strikers ie Josh Barnett. Gonzaga is a pretty big guy and by all accounts his BJJ is good. Randy will have to fight the perfect fight to beat Gonzaga. He'll have to fight from the top and be wary of submission attempts from the bottom. He'll also have to beat Gonzaga to the punch when the fight is standing. Many think that Dana White is probably pretty pissed that his Couture-Cro Cop match is now delayed. While I think that's true, its not as bad as it seems. With the way Gonzaga won, the UFC can market Gonzaga as a monster and build him up pretty well. So I think its a fight that will still sell. Plus people really love Randy. Yeah. Gonzaga looked like the real deal in that fight. Randy is a gamer, but I'm not sure how he'll do in that matchup. Solid striker and good on the ground. Randy's bread and butter is GnP and I don't know how that will play with a sub guy who's four inches taller and 30lbs heavier. Looks like a nasty matchup for him.

Mirko Cro Cop

Well I'm glad to hear that Cro Cop isn't considering retiring. From ibleedkngs' post it seems that Cro Cop hasn't lost motivation and will be a more determined fighter. Maybe this serves as a wake up call to him. I think many of us were worried because in the past Cro Cop has always talked about retiring, in the run up to last year's Open Weight Grand Prix, Cro Cop stated that if he didn't win he would retire. Anyways, I'm going to assume that Cro Cop will need awhile to recover his leg/knee/ankle looked pretty gruesome. Who does the UFC put him in with when he comes back though? Here's an idea, I don't think Dana is in a hurry to bring Tim Sylvia back. With Big Nog, Vera, Herring, etc. in the HW division, Sylvia might be put on the back burner. Plus he has a back injury he needs to recover from. Maybe set up a Cro Cop-Sylvia fight when both guys are ready? If not Sylvia probably a can in the Eddie Sanchez mold to build Mirko some momentum.
I was thinking the same thing as to who he fights next. That was the big talk when he first came in, now it can happen. Albeit for far less on the line. Well, maybe not less in terms of fan base and UFC future earnings. If Sylvia loses this fight, I don't see White making much of an effort to keep him around. On the flip side, if Crocop loses to Sylvia. . .you have to think Dana will be questioning going after him so hard. We'll see what happens, but it makes for interesting talk.

Andre Arlovski

AA was a bit disappointing in this fight. The first round was pretty good, lots of action then Arlovski went into Tim Sylvia mode and just stayed away and didn't engage. He did just enough to win the fight so props to him for that but I don't think he endeared himself to Dana White and his fans for that matter. Granted it was a tricky matchup and he didn't want to go to the ground with Werdum. How about setting Arlovski up with Chiek Kongo. Both guys will want to keep the fight standing and Kongo is a dynamic striker in his own right. This fight would be a fight of the year candidate while it lasts I think.
Good call on that. I think Arlovski would kill him though as he can do stuff on the ground. Nothing fancy, but waaaaaaaaaaay better than Kongo. Sure shapes up to be a fight though.

Michael Bisping

Elvis gave the Brit a scare but Bisping was pretty impressive. His ground and pound was pretty devestating and when the fight was standing he was getting the better of the fight. He got caught with a knee that came out of nowhere but recovered and his submission defense looked really good. I was really impressed by Bisping's cardio. He pushed the fight relentlessly and gassed Sinosic. I think Bisping needs a step up in competition to show whether or not he can do it against upper echelon guys. Maybe a fight with Forrest Griffin? Or with Ryoto Machida who also won on this card.
I'm a big fan of Bisping, but he seems to have a soft chin going on him. He's been rocked several times and he doesn't seem to have good defense of his head. I hope it improves or else he won't hang long with Griffin/Jardine/Evans/Ortiz. I bet they put him up against Machida next. I know Hamill has been calling him out, but I don't see that happening at all.

ibleedkngs
April 23rd, 2007, 03:03 PM
Nice write up ASU.

ASUcruz
April 24th, 2007, 11:40 PM
Check out this article from CBSsportsline. They are one of the few major sports web sites that attempts to cover MMA. The main article is decent, but the news and notes part of the article were what interested me. Good tidbits there.

http://www.sportsline.com/mmaboxing/story/10144881/1

SmytheKing
April 24th, 2007, 11:54 PM
Check out this article from CBSsportsline. They are one of the few major sports web sites that attempts to cover MMA. The main article is decent, but the news and notes part of the article were what interested me. Good tidbits there.

http://www.sportsline.com/mmaboxing/story/10144881/1

Mike Swick revealed to CBS SportsLine that for his next fight he will drop from middleweight to welterweight. Swick gave up a lot of size and strength to his opponent at UFC 69, Yushin Okami.

"I plan to fight my next fight at 170," declared Swick. "I came in lighter than ever for this one and I think it's best to drop."
Wow. That division just keeps getting better and better. Swick vs. Sanchez anyone?

It was confirmed last week that while Pride heavyweight champion Fedor Emelianenko has a contract with the company, it's non-exclusive, and allows him to fight for other promotions. Based on Emelianenko's contract status, there had been some reports he was contracted for more fights with Bodog Fight in addition to his April 14 bout against Matt Lindland.

Bodog Fight creator Calvin Ayre cleared up any rumors about Emelianenko by telling CBS SportsLine that Fedor is currently not contracted to the company for any future fights.

"As far as I'm aware, Fedor has a non-exclusive contract with Pride," Ayre confirmed through an e-mail. "But he is not contracted to us for any fights other than the one with Lindland (on) April 14 in Russia."
Obviously, this is the big one. Curious to see how this all shakes down. Will Fedor EVER fight in the UFC? Any thoughts or odds ASU? I think he's going to have to if he wants to keep credibility. I don't think he can go to Bodog and continue to be thought of in high regards in the fighting world if he does.

ASUcruz
April 25th, 2007, 09:59 AM
Wow. That division just keeps getting better and better. Swick vs. Sanchez anyone?

Yea, that is probably the most stacked division in all of MMA. It is interesting that Swick dropped down as he has 2 teammates in that division: Josh Koscheck and Jon Fitch. Fitch is a really solid fighter who is just stuck behind all the stars in 170, the UFC hasn't been able to give him a big push. But I guess Swick had to do what was best for him. It was pretty clear that he just didn't have the strength to compete at 185. Okami was just that much more powerful than him in the clinch and on the ground.

It'll be interesting to see how the UFC pushes him. Swick is a good fighter but I'd imagine he'd want an easier fight in his first fight dropping down. Maybe the loser of the Pariysian-Burkman fight.

Obviously, this is the big one. Curious to see how this all shakes down. Will Fedor EVER fight in the UFC? Any thoughts or odds ASU? I think he's going to have to if he wants to keep credibility. I don't think he can go to Bodog and continue to be thought of in high regards in the fighting world if he does.

I hope he does. I think he will fight in the UFC eventually. Fedor in the cage with the elbows would be even more unstoppable it seems.

SmytheKing
April 25th, 2007, 02:28 PM
Yea, that is probably the most stacked division in all of MMA. It is interesting that Swick dropped down as he has 2 teammates in that division: Josh Koscheck and Jon Fitch. Fitch is a really solid fighter who is just stuck behind all the stars in 170, the UFC hasn't been able to give him a big push. But I guess Swick had to do what was best for him. It was pretty clear that he just didn't have the strength to compete at 185. Okami was just that much more powerful than him in the clinch and on the ground.

It'll be interesting to see how the UFC pushes him. Swick is a good fighter but I'd imagine he'd want an easier fight in his first fight dropping down. Maybe the loser of the Pariysian-Burkman fight. Yeah. He got absolutely dominated by Okami in that last fight. I knew he was done after the first when he was talking about how strong he was. Moving down to 170 will be much better for him I think.

You're probably right about the first fight too. Let him get his timing down in a new division. Get comfortable with the weight. I don't see him getting much more than one "easy" fight though. That division is going to be tough to manage with all that quality. If you're Matt Serra, do you just look at those guys chasing you and shake your head? Look at all that talent. GSP, Hughes, Sanchez, Koscheck, Fitch, and now Swick? Those guys are all more than capable of making a good fight. 185 looks pretty thin though now. Franklin and Silva. . .and then a fairly big drop in quality.

I hope he does. I think he will fight in the UFC eventually. Fedor in the cage with the elbows would be even more unstoppable it seems.
After the past couple of UFC's, I'm not sure. I half expect him to be dominated by Big Tim the way it's gone of late. Not only that, I expect him to be GnP'd till a stoppage.

Roody
April 25th, 2007, 10:19 PM
I think he's going to have to if he wants to keep credibility.

Fedcr doesn't have to prove anything to anyone. He is clearly the greatest mixed martial artist of all time. He is practically undefeated (his only loss was against TK due to a cut from an illegal elbow strike... since it was a tourney, someone had to advance, so TK did). He has beaten everyone, and the only man who can beat Fedor is father time.

SmytheKing
April 25th, 2007, 10:25 PM
Fedcr doesn't have to prove anything to anyone. He is clearly the greatest mixed martial artist of all time. He is practically undefeated (his only loss was against TK due to a cut from an illegal elbow strike... since it was a tourney, someone had to advance, so TK did). He has beaten everyone, and the only man who can beat Fedor is father time.

Say what you will. . .fighting against lesser competition in bodog will certainly lose him some fans. He might have beaten several people already, but if he chooses to fight guys that he outweighs by 30lbs or guys that are several notches below him in skill, people will lose respect for the guy. A record doesn't mean much if you keep beating guys that you're supposed to.

ASUcruz
April 26th, 2007, 12:15 AM
Those guys are all more than capable of making a good fight. 185 looks pretty thin though now. Franklin and Silva. . .and then a fairly big drop in quality.

Yea, I'd agree that 185 doens't have the depth that some of the other divisions have. Watch out for Nate Marquardt though, the UFC hasn't really put his fights on TV because he's not an "exciting" fighter but I think style wise he matches up really well with Anderson Silva. They are slated to fight in July at UFC 73 and it would not surprise me to see Marquardt win. His style is similar to Travis Lutter but a better grappler, better ground and pound, and pretty good striking. Lutter actually gave Silva some trouble and perhaps if he wasn't so dehydrated from trying to cut weight he might have gotten the win.

Anyways, I'd probably still pick Anderson Silva to win because his striking is so pinpoint and powerful plus when the fight does go to the ground he does have a black belt in BJJ. Anyways though, the Marquardt won't be a pushover and it should be a good fight.

One good thing about the 185 being a bit weak is a guy we both like will probably get a major push. Kendall Grove has looked good in all his fights in the Octagon and he should continue to get more challenging fights.

Many people consider Matt Linland the top 185 pounder in the world. I think he's got some sort of rift with Dana, I'm hoping that he does fight in the UFC eventually. He would give every fighter a tough matchup.

OvertimeHero
April 26th, 2007, 07:50 AM
Interesting article. Apparently no one was drug-tested pre or post fight at UFC 69 or UFC 70.

http://blogs.chron.com/fighting/2007/04/ufc_69_and_70_fighters_get_a_p.html

ASUcruz
April 26th, 2007, 10:30 AM
Interesting article. Apparently no one was drug-tested pre or post fight at UFC 69 or UFC 70.

http://blogs.chron.com/fighting/2007/04/ufc_69_and_70_fighters_get_a_p.html

Yea that's weird. If I'm reading it right it was the UFC's responsibility to test their fighters at the events and they basically didn't.

OvertimeHero
April 26th, 2007, 11:43 AM
Yea that's weird. If I'm reading it right it was the UFC's responsibility to test their fighters at the events and they basically didn't.

I can't speak about Houston, but I was sure that I read somewhere last week that the UFC was aware the British Commission weren't going to do it, and so they brought their own doctors over and everything and DID it. Can't find the article right now (maybe it was a pre-fight article that stated the UFC's intention to do it). Though this article is saying they had no legal recourse to do so, and that seems really weird as well.

ASUcruz
April 26th, 2007, 10:07 PM
I can't speak about Houston, but I was sure that I read somewhere last week that the UFC was aware the British Commission weren't going to do it, and so they brought their own doctors over and everything and DID it. Can't find the article right now (maybe it was a pre-fight article that stated the UFC's intention to do it). Though this article is saying they had no legal recourse to do so, and that seems really weird as well.

Yea, that is odd. At least the UFC did take it upon themselves to test their fighters in England. To be honest though it really shouldn't be their responsibility.

SmytheKing
April 26th, 2007, 11:43 PM
One good thing about the 185 being a bit weak is a guy we both like will probably get a major push. Kendall Grove has looked good in all his fights in the Octagon and he should continue to get more challenging fights.
I figure that right now they don't have much of a choice. I don't think Grove is even CLOSE to being ready for Silva, but he's certainly looking good right now. I figure they'll do to him the same thing they did to Sanchez. Give him a couple more fights that are challenges, but he should win so he can improve his game some more. He's still not great at standup, and that will get him murdered against Silva. I just don't know who else they can have Silva fight after Marquardt though. Franklin again? Okami? They're really gonna have to push to get some of the Pride guys over here soon to make that division interesting. Hell, is Dan Henderson 185 or is he 205? I'd love to see him in the UFC.

Many people consider Matt Linland the top 185 pounder in the world. I think he's got some sort of rift with Dana, I'm hoping that he does fight in the UFC eventually. He would give every fighter a tough matchup.Yeah. . .I've heard various things about him coming/not coming. He and Dana don't like each other too much, but it seems Dana is over it. Linland seems to harbor the animosity now. Time will tell if he can get over it and move on, but from all I've seen. . .he doesn't have the charisma to be a popular fighter over in here. Of course, all that could change with some serious domination.

ASUcruz
April 27th, 2007, 12:20 AM
Did you guys watch TUF tonight? Did anyone else laugh hysterically at Andy Wang crying like a little bitch? Maybe next time you should listen to your coaches moron.

SmytheKing
April 27th, 2007, 12:24 AM
Did you guys watch TUF tonight? Did anyone else laugh hysterically at Andy Wang crying like a little bitch? Maybe next time you should listen to your coaches moron.
I was laughing even harder at BJ Penn walking behind him with a "****ing tool" smirk on his face.

I gotta say though, Penn doesn't really seem to care whether his guys win or not. Seems he's just looking to do the fight. Obviously, a lot of it is being edited (and the Deeker in me says it's to get a better following for Pulver), but that's just the impression that I get. When his guys lose, it's like "oh well".

OvertimeHero
April 27th, 2007, 05:39 AM

Yeah, I understand being upset about a loss, but he was acting like a f***ing 2 year old. He didn't do a damn thing that BJ told him to. And after the fight: "I don't feel like a loser." Well, sorry Andy, you really are....in more ways than one.

I was laughing even harder at BJ Penn walking behind him with a "****ing tool" smirk on his face.

I gotta say though, Penn doesn't really seem to care whether his guys win or not. Seems he's just looking to do the fight. Obviously, a lot of it is being edited (and the Deeker in me says it's to get a better following for Pulver), but that's just the impression that I get. When his guys lose, it's like "oh well".

BJ really seems like an a**hole. That's why I am enjoying watching his guys lose.

ASUcruz
April 27th, 2007, 10:00 AM

Yea Penn's coaching has been less than stellar thus far. Although the guys on his team who have fought are clearly the bottom of the barrel guys. Not sure how much he could have done. In the first episode he looked like he was trying to help out Monsta a lot.

That's an interesting take regarding making Pulver look good. It makes sense, I don't think a lot of the "new" UFC fans know who Pulver is. And the last time he was in the Octagon he got KTFO by Joe Lauzon. It makes sense that they'd build him up to sell that fight with BJ. BJ is a popular guy as well so there's really no need to build him up.

ASUcruz
April 27th, 2007, 10:01 AM
Yeah, I understand being upset about a loss, but he was acting like a f***ing 2 year old. He didn't do a damn thing that BJ told him to. And after the fight: "I don't feel like a loser." Well, sorry Andy, you really are....in more ways than one.

Yea, the worst was when he said he was a warrior.

ASUcruz
April 27th, 2007, 10:02 AM
Did anyone else think the Matt Hughes cameo was fairly contrived? I think its cool that he comes in to help out his fellow Militech fighter and I think he does like helping guys out. But they walk in and he's mopping the mats. Come on!

OvertimeHero
April 27th, 2007, 10:46 AM
Did anyone else think the Matt Hughes cameo was fairly contrived? I think its cool that he comes in to help out his fellow Militech fighter and I think he does like helping guys out. But they walk in and he's mopping the mats. Come on!

$10 bucks says that it was Hughes' idea to be mopping the mats when the guys came in. Man, I really want this damn Serra-Hughes fight to be over with so GSP can kick Hughes' a** again.

ASUcruz
April 27th, 2007, 12:46 PM
$10 bucks says that it was Hughes' idea to be mopping the mats when the guys came in. Man, I really want this damn Serra-Hughes fight to be over with so GSP can kick Hughes' a** again.

Yea, definitley. "Ok, I'll be mopping up the mats, then send the guys in".

I don't mind Matt Hughes although he is smug. But I'm not a fan. WIth the recent string of upsets though, I think it does make you respect/appreciate Hughes a little more as he was able to defend that title for a long time.

ASUcruz
April 30th, 2007, 09:31 AM
Pretty slow time in MMA right now. Interesting fight set up for UFC 71 though. 2 tough fighters.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles.asp?n_id=7390

Kalib Starnes (Pictures) to meet Chris Leben (Pictures)

The Fight Network reported recently that Kalib Starnes (Pictures) and Chris Leben (Pictures) will meet in a battle of TUF veterans at UFC 71, May 26 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

Starnes is preparing in Florida with American Top Team, where right now a giant training camp is going on, comprised of notable fighters Denis Kang (Pictures), Thiago Alves (Pictures), Marcus Aurelio, Wilson Gouveia (Pictures), Din Thomas (Pictures), Antonio Silva (Pictures), and Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (Pictures).

Starnes-Leben is not one of the five match-ups currently listed on UFC.com, however three of those match-ups are noted as being on the undercard, so there's a decent chance that the Canadian's fight will be broadcast live on the pay-per-view.

Should be an interesting fight. I liked Starnes on TUF 3 and he's supposed to be a pretty talented fighter. ATT is a good camp and hopefully he's improved since the Okami fight.

I've never been a big Leben fan, but I'd guess he would be the betting favorite in this fight.

OvertimeHero
April 30th, 2007, 01:36 PM
Should be an interesting fight. I liked Starnes on TUF 3 and he's supposed to be a pretty talented fighter. ATT is a good camp and hopefully he's improved since the Okami fight.

I liked him on TUF 3, but became less high on him after his last fight on the show. Not to take anything away from Kendall, but I questioned Kalib's heart when he gave up. I can't recall at this time if his ribs were actually broken on not. But I think he should've fought through it considering what was on the line.

I've never been a big Leben fan, but I'd guess he would be the betting favorite in this fight.

Agreed. But I always love seeing Leben get beat.

SmytheKing
April 30th, 2007, 01:38 PM
Pretty slow time in MMA right now. Interesting fight set up for UFC 71 though. 2 tough fighters.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles.asp?n_id=7390

I'm not a Leben fan really either, but I'll take him walking away in this one. Starnes seemed ok on TUF, but was a bit of a baby/quitter. He's decent on the ground from what I remember, but I don't think the fight gets there. I think Leben starts wailing on him from the start and Starnes just packs it in before the first round is over with. I just remember him saying that he wasn't going to risk getting seriously injurned in some tv show (or something like that) after busting a rib.

ibleedkngs
April 30th, 2007, 02:51 PM
Getting sick of these weak, TUF match-ups. Sorry but most of the guy's that come off the show are B to C level fighters and the UFC seems to think that we get excited that they're fighting. I sure as hell don't get excited when I hear Leben vs Starnes, sorry.

ASUcruz
May 3rd, 2007, 01:12 PM
Within this article, mentions that Big Nog could be on the next Ultimate Fight Night. Unfortuantley he won't be fighting Brandon Vera. Although that fight didn't make much sense from the UFC's perspective. Anyways it will be cool to see Nog in the Octagon.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news.asp?n_id=7396

OvertimeHero
May 3rd, 2007, 09:09 PM
Good TUF episode tonite. I won't spoil it for all you West Coasters though. I guess I'll be back in the AM to discuss. A little surprise at the end though.

ASUcruz
May 3rd, 2007, 09:34 PM
Good TUF episode tonite. I won't spoil it for all you West Coasters though. I guess I'll be back in the AM to discuss. A little surprise at the end though.

Awesome, I was hoping for a good episode since there has been nothing else going on.

OvertimeHero
May 4th, 2007, 07:10 AM
So apparently it's not just Andy Wang that cries like a little bitch, his buddy Gabe does too. I loved how everyone at the house turned on him. How can you come in to a competition THAT much overweight?

I was not surprised that Dana threw him out, but I was surprised that Dana picked who it was to come back. In previous seasons, hasn't he always left it up to the coaches/team? For a second there, I did almost expect him to punish Team Penn by giving Corey the buy to the quarters, but I guess that's really not Dana's style.

I really want to see Corey in action. I want to see how he uses his height/reach advantage. Emerson didn't impress me much during the Diaz fight, but that's probably because Diaz has got some pretty mad skills. Looking forward to seeing Lauzon again as well. He looked good in his fight against Pulver, and it'll be interesting to see if it was just an off night for Jens, or if Lauzon has what it takes.

ASUcruz
May 4th, 2007, 11:53 AM
So apparently it's not just Andy Wang that cries like a little bitch, his buddy Gabe does too. I loved how everyone at the house turned on him. How can you come in to a competition THAT much overweight?

Yea, Gabe's been crying throughout the season. It was fairly entertaining at first, but it got annoying as the season went on. It didn't help that Gabe's also seems like a huge dickhead. Hard to feel sorry for the guy.

Yea, I don't get how one can show up at the house some 20 odd pounds overweight when the guy knew the show would be at 155 LBs. Nobody on Gabe's team liked him, even the guy's that were helping him cut weight were tired of it.

I was not surprised that Dana threw him out, but I was surprised that Dana picked who it was to come back. In previous seasons, hasn't he always left it up to the coaches/team? For a second there, I did almost expect him to punish Team Penn by giving Corey the buy to the quarters, but I guess that's really not Dana's style.

Yea, once Dana came on you knew he'd drop a few f-bombs and throw Gabe out. There are always a few episodes where Dana gets to show how badass he is. Last season, he did let Team No Love pick who was coming back(they ended up flipping a coin). But when Noah left the house on season 3, Dana brought back Jesse.

Anyways, I don't think it would have mattered since Penn would have picked Emerson anyways. No chance he would have brough back Alan, Andy, or that other kid whose name escapes me. Anyways it was funny seeing Tony decide to completley dominate in that grappling match. Don't think he'll joke around during training anymore.

I really want to see Corey in action. I want to see how he uses his height/reach advantage. Emerson didn't impress me much during the Diaz fight, but that's probably because Diaz has got some pretty mad skills. Looking forward to seeing Lauzon again as well. He looked good in his fight against Pulver, and it'll be interesting to see if it was just an off night for Jens, or if Lauzon has what it takes.

I'm anxious to see Hill fight as well. Emerson didn't look that great in the Diaz fight. Everyone was hyping his kick boxing but he wasn't very impressive on his feet. I think he'll do better against Corey because Corey will stand with him. I'm glad there will be 2 fights next week. Although this was one of the more entertaining episodes that didn't have a bout.

ASUcruz
May 4th, 2007, 11:58 AM
Also one great part of the episode was when Gray asked Gabe what the plan was. And Gabe starts talking about his plan for the fight, and Gray says "yea, well I kinda was talking about the weight". And Gabe decides that he'll go home, eat some spinach, then sleep. Smart guy...

SmytheKing
May 4th, 2007, 12:55 PM
Also one great part of the episode was when Gray asked Gabe what the plan was. And Gabe starts talking about his plan for the fight, and Gray says "yea, well I kinda was talking about the weight". And Gabe decides that he'll go home, eat some spinach, then sleep. Smart guy...

I seriously hope there is a double knockout on the final show. There isn't a single guy on that show that I like. Between them crying, talking ****, and wearing their hats off the side of their heads, I hope they all go down.

ASUcruz
May 4th, 2007, 01:14 PM
I seriously hope there is a double knockout on the final show. There isn't a single guy on that show that I like. Between them crying, talking ****, and wearing their hats off the side of their heads, I hope they all go down.

Haha, yea this season has been a bit different. I don't min Joe Lauzon that much. He seems like a nice guy, anxious to see him fight. Some of the other guys don't seem to bad, but at the same time they haven't focused on them yet either.

OvertimeHero
May 4th, 2007, 01:30 PM
Haha, yea this season has been a bit different. I don't min Joe Lauzon that much. He seems like a nice guy, anxious to see him fight. Some of the other guys don't seem to bad, but at the same time they haven't focused on them yet either.

The only guys I'm interested in are Diaz (cuz I wanted to see if he was as crazy as his brother), Lauzon (cuz of his victory over Jens last year) and Hill. All the others do nothing for me.

ASUcruz
May 4th, 2007, 02:41 PM
The only guys I'm interested in are Diaz (cuz I wanted to see if he was as crazy as his brother), Lauzon (cuz of his victory over Jens last year) and Hill. All the others do nothing for me.

Yea, I'm also anxious to see Gray and Wiman fight. I think both guys were among BJ's top picks and I have read on forums and such that they are fairly solid fighters.

SmytheKing
May 4th, 2007, 02:45 PM
Yea, I'm also anxious to see Gray and Wiman fight. I think both guys were among BJ's top picks and I have read on forums and such that they are fairly solid fighters.

So far, I haven't really been impressed with any of the guys too much. Not compared to past seasons. Manny and Diaz looked decent, but I just see both of them having problems in that division. I guess we'll see, but a lot of the fights have been fairly mediocre. Dana saying that one fight was one of the best ever? Really? It was two rounds of Diaz wailing away and the other guy trying to not be knocked out from what I saw.

ASUcruz
May 7th, 2007, 09:25 AM
So far, I haven't really been impressed with any of the guys too much. Not compared to past seasons. Manny and Diaz looked decent, but I just see both of them having problems in that division. I guess we'll see, but a lot of the fights have been fairly mediocre. Dana saying that one fight was one of the best ever? Really? It was two rounds of Diaz wailing away and the other guy trying to not be knocked out from what I saw.

Yea, I thought Diaz's ground game was stellar though. It took him about a round to get Emerson down, but once he did it was game over. He went for a few different submissions and also his ground and pound looked solid. I was fairly impressed by him.

I'll hold of judgement on the full cast until I see some of BJ's top guns go like Gray Maynard and Wiman.

ASUcruz
May 7th, 2007, 09:36 AM
By the way UFC 73 has the makings of the card of the year.

Anderson Silva-Nathan Marquardt

Sean Sherk-Hermes Franca

Tito Ortiz-Rashad Evans

And it was announced that Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira will fight Heath Herring. It's not the Brandon Vera fight unfortuantly but it's a hell of a better fight that Nog-McCully. Herring is a known fighter who is coming off a very convincing win over Brad Imes. Should be a good fight in Nog's debut and I'm glad the UFC is throwing him into the Octagon against someone proven like Herring rather than a guy like Eddie Sanchez.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news.asp?n_id=7454

SmytheKing
May 8th, 2007, 11:38 PM
By the way UFC 73 has the makings of the card of the year.

Anderson Silva-Nathan Marquardt

Sean Sherk-Hermes Franca

Tito Ortiz-Rashad Evans

And it was announced that Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira will fight Heath Herring. It's not the Brandon Vera fight unfortuantly but it's a hell of a better fight that Nog-McCully. Herring is a known fighter who is coming off a very convincing win over Brad Imes. Should be a good fight in Nog's debut and I'm glad the UFC is throwing him into the Octagon against someone proven like Herring rather than a guy like Eddie Sanchez.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news.asp?n_id=7454

Yeah. I'm really looking forward to that card. It's a shame we've got to get through TWO consecutive mediocre cards. Though, I'm a little more excited about 72 now that it looks like Okami will take on Franklin in the main event. That should be a war. 74 is starting to get a little better too. Couture/Gonzaga, (looks like) Koscheck/St. Pierre, Silvia/Mir (blech). Figure that Cro-Cop could maybe be on there too as he's pushing to get back in there quick.

ASUcruz
May 9th, 2007, 01:37 PM
Yeah. I'm really looking forward to that card. It's a shame we've got to get through TWO consecutive mediocre cards. Though, I'm a little more excited about 72 now that it looks like Okami will take on Franklin in the main event.

Yea, Franklin-Okami will be a great fight. Tough on Okami to take such tough fight on short notice but this is a great opportunity for him.

The card doesn't look great, but I think its a free one so I won't complain.

But yea, 71 looks bad. I'm exciting to see Karo fight especially against a pretty good young fighter in Josh Burkman. But yea that means there are 2 legit fights on that card.

For example, why the hell is Keith Jardine fighting some guy I've never even heard of?

SmytheKing
May 9th, 2007, 01:43 PM
Yea, Franklin-Okami will be a great fight. Tough on Okami to take such tough fight on short notice but this is a great opportunity for him.

The card doesn't look great, but I think its a free one so I won't complain.

But yea, 71 looks bad. I'm exciting to see Karo fight especially against a pretty good young fighter in Josh Burkman. But yea that means there are 2 legit fights on that card.

For example, why the hell is Keith Jardine fighting some guy I've never even heard of?

Rumor that I saw the other day on Sherdog says 72 is going to be on PPV afterall. I hope not. That thing is a dog right now and I can't imagine sales being that good. With the location (Ireland), I can't believe it would be on PPV, but who knows.

Once again. . .Jardine gets screwed. I mean, I know that division is fairly deep, but still. . .why does it seem to be him as the odd man out always?

ASUcruz
May 9th, 2007, 01:45 PM
Rumor that I saw the other day on Sherdog says 72 is going to be on PPV afterall. I hope not. That thing is a dog right now and I can't imagine sales being that good. With the location (Ireland), I can't believe it would be on PPV, but who knows.

Once again. . .Jardine gets screwed. I mean, I know that division is fairly deep, but still. . .why does it seem to be him as the odd man out always?

Yea, I hope its not PPV. I wouldn't buy it, especially with the time difference.

Yea, Jardine should get the loser of Tito-Rashad. Hopefully that's how it plays out.

SmytheKing
May 9th, 2007, 02:00 PM
Yea, I hope its not PPV. I wouldn't buy it, especially with the time difference.

Yea, Jardine should get the loser of Tito-Rashad. Hopefully that's how it plays out.

We'll see what happens. Maybe they finally get that HBO deal worked out and it's on that channel. One can hope. Speaking of, here's a thumbs up to Max Kellerman for his response to Jim Lampley's obnoxious remarks about MMA. That guy knows who will be buttering his bread soon.

Better be. He had a pretty decisive win against Griffin and the talk was Griffin would be in line for a #1 contender fight if he won so. . .

MadDog20/20
May 10th, 2007, 07:58 PM
Anyone going to see Sakuraba vs. Gracie at the Coliseum June 2nd? I'm not really looking forward to being outside in the heat but this will probably be my only chance to see Kazushi before he retires. Myself and Bishop412 got our tix already, pretty reasonable. Anyone else going?

lagwagon0
May 10th, 2007, 08:10 PM
Anyone going to see Sakuraba vs. Gracie at the Coliseum June 2nd? I'm not really looking forward to being outside in the heat but this will probably be my only chance to see Kazushi before he retires. Myself and Bishop412 got our tix already, pretty reasonable. Anyone else going?

Sounds fun, wish I was around to see it.

ASUcruz
May 10th, 2007, 08:27 PM
We'll see what happens. Maybe they finally get that HBO deal worked out and it's on that channel. One can hope. Speaking of, here's a thumbs up to Max Kellerman for his response to Jim Lampley's obnoxious remarks about MMA. That guy knows who will be buttering his bread soon.

Kellerman is a big MMA guy. I remember seeing him at past UFC events.

Better be. He had a pretty decisive win against Griffin and the talk was Griffin would be in line for a #1 contender fight if he won so. . .

It's even worse. I heard that they were going to give Forrest a title shot(mostly due to his popularity). Jardine beat their guy, he needs to be rewarded.

SmytheKing
May 10th, 2007, 11:38 PM
It's even worse. I heard that they were going to give Forrest a title shot(mostly due to his popularity). Jardine beat their guy, he needs to be rewarded.
Ugh. . .I'm a fan of his, but I know he doesn't deserve a shot. The only reason he'd get one is because, well, who else would it be? Tito again? Nah. Public is done with that. Evans? Not until after this fight with Tito. My guess is the loss to Jardine is the reason the Rampage fight was fast tracked like it was.

As to TUF this evening. . .man these guys seem like they're afraid to take a punch.

borinka99
May 11th, 2007, 01:50 AM
Yea, the last fight seemed awkward to me.

ASUcruz
May 12th, 2007, 09:37 PM

Just to follow up, it has been announced that 72 is on PPV. Pretty disappointing. I think Franklin-Okami will be a really good fight, but I don't know if I'll buy that PPV.

ASUcruz
May 12th, 2007, 09:53 PM
My guess is the loss to Jardine is the reason the Rampage fight was fast tracked like it was.

Yup, I think that is exactly what happend. I'm sure we'll talk about this after they fight but what if Chuck wins? Do they set up a rubber match later in the year? Or do they save Chuck until the cross over show where they'll probably have him fight Shogun.

As to TUF this evening. . .man these guys seem like they're afraid to take a punch.

Yea, Emerson fought like a bitch in that 3rd round. Before I get to that though, how about Joe Lauzon. Probably the most impressive performace so far. He took Geraghty down easily and just destroyed him with a great ground and pound. That elbow he landed was devestating and he missed with one that would have sent Geragthy to the hospital. BTW I think that's how Fedor will be in the UFC. Fedor being able to use elbows might kill someone. I was really impressed with the pace Lauzon set and the relentlessness of his attack. Even when Geragthy got back up, Lauzon was right on top of him and took his back easily.

The second fight looked pretty sloppy. Hill other than his size wasn't very impressive. His background his wrestling but he couldnt' take Emerson down, although Emerson has shown great takedown defense. But yea, Hill other than his impressive size and reach was not that impressive.

Anyways though, Emerson's leg kicks were just devestating. If he threw more of them, he would have destroyed Hill. It might have been a tap out due to leg kicks. He was thrashing Hill's legs but Emerson didn't want to throw more of them because that would have put him in Corey's rage. Basically, Emerson didn't want to pay the price to win. THe third round was a toss up but Hill was more aggressive. Emerson fought like a pussy, it was his second and probably last chance, he should have just gone for broke in that last round.

I'm excited that next week there are 2 fights. Would have been disappointing to have to wait 2 more weeks to get into the next round. I'm guessing one of the fights is a quick one. 2 of Penn's top guys against 2 of Pulver's weaker guys. Should be interesting.

SmytheKing
May 13th, 2007, 09:23 PM
Yup, I think that is exactly what happend. I'm sure we'll talk about this after they fight but what if Chuck wins? Do they set up a rubber match later in the year? Or do they save Chuck until the cross over show where they'll probably have him fight Shogun.Who knows. I'm getting really antsy for them to get this whole superbowl org going because some of the divisions are pretty top heavy. . .but not really deep. If that makes sense. 205 being one of them. After Liddell and Rampage. . .there's a drop to the next level of young, hungry guys with the future in their laps. Not quite there though so they need to do something to bridge that gap I think. Same goes for 185, but not to that level.

Yea, Emerson fought like a bitch in that 3rd round. Before I get to that though, how about Joe Lauzon. Probably the most impressive performace so far. He took Geraghty down easily and just destroyed him with a great ground and pound. That elbow he landed was devestating and he missed with one that would have sent Geragthy to the hospital. Yeah. Dead on. Lauzon looked REALLY good. He looks to be a force in a couple of years in that division. . .though it's pretty stacked so we'll see. He reminds me of Florian in his size and game, but with better standup. That might be a good fight in fact in the next year or so.

BTW I think that's how Fedor will be in the UFC. Fedor being able to use elbows might kill someone.From an interview that was posted on Sherdog:

Q: Do you have any experience with elbow strikes? Is it going to be hard for you to adjust to the UFC rules if you compete in that organization?
A: I do use elbow strikes, and I am working on that technique. I don't think I'll have any difficulties with the rules.

Now, maybe I'm reading too much into it. . .but that sounds like he's looking at being in the UFC yeah?

The second fight looked pretty sloppy. Hill other than his size wasn't very impressive. His background his wrestling but he couldnt' take Emerson down, although Emerson has shown great takedown defense. But yea, Hill other than his impressive size and reach was not that impressive.

Anyways though, Emerson's leg kicks were just devestating. If he threw more of them, he would have destroyed Hill. It might have been a tap out due to leg kicks. He was thrashing Hill's legs but Emerson didn't want to throw more of them because that would have put him in Corey's rage. Basically, Emerson didn't want to pay the price to win. THe third round was a toss up but Hill was more aggressive. Emerson fought like a pussy, it was his second and probably last chance, he should have just gone for broke in that last round.
Oh yeah. Hill is gonna lose a leg if he keeps it out there like he did. Emerson should have been kicking the hell out of it all day long. Hill looks tricky with his movements, but that was about it. Didn't have good takedown. Didn't have good striking. He's gonna get killed in there against a guy like Manny methinks. Bottom line, neither of those guys really did enough to win the fight in my opinion.

OvertimeHero
May 17th, 2007, 09:40 PM
Andy Wang is a c***sucker and if I were Jens Pulver, I woulda beat the **** out of him right in Dana's office. And Dana should've just said "f*** it" and thrown his ass out because there are still 7 other eliminated fighters to chose from. How could someone be so disrespectful to a fighter who has done 100 times more than he has, and to the President of the UFC.

Sims and Weems looked horrible. Especially Sims because he kept talking about how tough he was and how many streetfights he'd been in while being outnumbered 50-1. Ah, but next week's episode looks awesome with (most likely) Sims in fight at the house. You just had to know someone was gonna do something THAT crazy at some point before the season was over.

SmytheKing
May 21st, 2007, 07:35 PM
Just for some fun:

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q117/popularis/gabe_vs_cake.jpg
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p194/Lancifers_ghost/gabe.jpg

lagwagon0
May 21st, 2007, 08:01 PM
I'm having MMA withdrawal right now. Feels like we should have already had both a Pride and UFC PPV recently. Ultimate Fighter just not cutting it this season. Too many schlubs in there. I think Joe Lauzon and Little Diaz are the best two of the lot. On a related note, I find it shocking that with the pool of talent the UFC is working with right now that they couldnt come up with a better card for this weekend's PPV. IMO, when we are getting excited over Kalib Starnes it's a sad day in hell.

ibleedkngs
May 25th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Anyone catch SportsCenter today??? UFC was the lead story.... It was great! They're also showing the live weigh-in of Chuck and Rampage on ESPN News at 4pm. I think it's official, the UFC has gone mainstream now.

Also ESPN now has a dedicated section for the UFC on ESPN.com

Clich? Guevara
May 25th, 2007, 04:42 PM
Anyone catch SportsCenter today??? UFC was the lead story.... It was great! They're also showing the live weigh-in of Chuck and Rampage on ESPN News at 4pm. I think it's official, the UFC has gone mainstream now.

Also ESPN now has a dedicated section for the UFC on ESPN.com

ESPN has been on UFC mode since probably about Liddell/Ortiz 2. It's just getting more and more exposure as of late.

ibleedkngs
May 25th, 2007, 04:55 PM
ESPN has been on UFC mode since probably about Liddell/Ortiz 2. It's just getting more and more exposure as of late.

Not like this though. It was the MAIN story on sportscenter! And I don't ever remember espn showing a live weigh-in.

Diablito93
May 25th, 2007, 06:16 PM
This is a long thread so I may have missed it. Did anyone read ESPN magazine about how Floyd Mayweather Junior said that Boxing is a real sport and MMA is a fad. He continued to say that if Chuck Lidell stepped into a ring with him "he would get punished". Gods, I guess it's everywhere!

http://www.ufcmedia.com/floyd-mayweather-jr-apoligizes-to-the-ufc.html

borinka99
May 25th, 2007, 08:20 PM
Hey Dana, if you worked "so hard" to make the UFC seem legit, why not edit out the part about the brawl outside? lol

This is a long thread so I may have missed it. Did anyone read ESPN magazine about how Floyd Mayweather Junior said that Boxing is a real sport and MMA is a fad. He continued to say that if Chuck Lidell stepped into a ring with him "he would get punished". Gods, I guess it's everywhere!

http://www.ufcmedia.com/floyd-mayweather-jr-apoligizes-to-the-ufc.html

Yea, he also wouldn't back up his mouth with those quotes.

lagwagon0
May 26th, 2007, 04:01 AM
I noticed Sherdog mentioned they were hired to feed the info through ESPN around the time the Liddell/Rampage fight came around so this should be here to stay.

SmytheKing
May 26th, 2007, 08:00 PM
Any predictions for tonight? I'm betting Liddell pulls it out (even though I'm rooting for Rampage), Parysian wins an ok decision over Burkman, Starnes quits on the way to the ring. Also, I figure it will be Shogun coming out to challenge whoever wins between Chuck and Rampage. Not Hendo. . .as awesome as that would be.

SmytheKing
May 26th, 2007, 08:07 PM
...and I'm 0-1 so far. Couldn't be happier either.

Mateo
May 26th, 2007, 10:35 PM
that was quick

SmytheKing
May 26th, 2007, 10:43 PM
Any predictions for tonight? I'm betting Liddell pulls it out (even though I'm rooting for Rampage), Parysian wins an ok decision over Burkman, Starnes quits on the way to the ring. Also, I figure it will be Shogun coming out to challenge whoever wins between Chuck and Rampage. Not Hendo. . .as awesome as that would be.
How about I stop with predictions huh?

sarf
May 26th, 2007, 10:44 PM
Woo Rampage!! And now Hendo in the UFC, Rampage vs Henderson is going to be a great fight...then a possible rematch with Chuck and Rampage, a couple good fights down the road.

Also, I thought it was a great overall card.

SmytheKing
May 26th, 2007, 11:53 PM
Gonna do my breakdown real quick here. Curious to see what the rest of you thought.

Starnes vs. Leben

So, I was wrong. . .sort of. For all the talk during the fight of Starnes being tired, Leben sure looked gassed about midway through the second. His punches were slow and wild and he seemed like he was stumbling out there. I gave the first and third to Leben however because of overall performance. One of the things I hate about the UFC is that a guy can stand there and take some shots and then take a guy down to win a round. That's exactly what happened in the first and third. He took Leben down but did absolutely nothing while down there. Holding position on a guy doesn't win you a fight in my eyes. Not sure that the decision was the right one.

Martin vs. Salaverry

Thought this was an early stoppage, but then again, Salaverry wasn't doing much on the ground when he was being hit. The "slam" wasn't much of one and Salaverry was right up as soon as the fight was stopped. Thought Martin was dumb for calling out Silva after that performance though. He'd get murdered.

Alexander vs. Jardine

Wow! Who saw that coming? For a 40 second fight, it was damn exciting. I thought it was gonna be over when Jardine landed that first right. Alexander said he slipped, but I don't buy it. He fell right into the cage. Great recovery though and he landed some nasty bombs on Jardine after that. Anytime you lose your mouthpiece, you know you've been rocked. That first uppercut that lifted him up reminded me of that Tank Abbott vs. Steve Nelmark fight.

Stephens vs. Thomas

Good showing by Stephens in this fight. Looks like he could really do something in the future. He had a great defense against a vet on that choke. I think he got a little anxious after that and got sloppy. Thomas is on a little bit of a roll right now, but I think he'll probably just be a gatekeeper in that division. Too much going in that one for him to really move in now. Never say never though.

Parisyan vs. Burkman

Man I loved this fight. It was pretty one sided, but it was active as hell and both guys were going at it. Parisyan looked real good in there though. I'd like to see a rematch with him and Sanchez to be honest. Probably won't happen right now, but hell it would be fun to watch. He looked great at striking and his takedown defense was great once again.

Liddell vs. Jackson

Finally. That's pretty much all I have to say about this one. I've said before that I get bored with Liddell's fights. A guy chases him and he hits them as they move in. Rampage fought the fight that should be fought against him. Make him come to you. I was shocked as hell it ended so quickly though. Page nailed him with a counter-right and landed several more as Liddell hit the ground.

All in all, this card was MUCH better than I thought it would be. Pretty much all the fights were, if not exciting, quite busy. It made for an entertaining couple of hours I'll tell you that much. Looking forward to what is next too. Shogun vs. Chuck? Page vs. Hendo? Chuck vs. Wanderlei? Lots of potential matchups that could be great fights. Hell, Vera vs. Shogun or Chuck? Now that this Pride merger is more or less done, it's gonna be an amazing time for fans of this.

Crapgame13
May 27th, 2007, 12:20 AM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/209/515654468_108fceb143_o.jpg

lagwagon0
May 27th, 2007, 01:06 AM
Wow, I'm certainly disappointed.

Roody
May 27th, 2007, 03:14 PM
I knew it! I predicted a Rampage win via KO and I was right. I just had the wrong round. Less than two minutes? WAR RAMPAGE! I even told my dad to put money on Rampage, but we couldn't find a betting site for MMA.

Even though it is kinda bad to say this, I am glad that Chuck lost. For being the face of MMA in the US, he was overrated and certainly very uncharismatic. The #1 LHW in the world is Shogun Rua, and even as the (former) UFC champ, you would have to make a pretty good argument to make Chuck a top-5.

But this sets up some interesting fights. Hendo/Rampage is going to be awesome (Rampage lost to Wanderlei twice and Hendo beat Wanderlei). Hell, if I were UFC, I would set up a Wanderlei/Chuck fight. Both guys need big wins (Wanderlei has consecutive losses to CroCop and Hendo) and it would be a helluva fight.

PS - Anyone else really ticked off at the crowd booing Rampage after his win? It saddens me that too many cretins are getting into MMA now that it is popular and know nothing about the history and fighters. Chuck may have been the posterboy for UFC, but that doesn't mean they have to get all butt-hurt when he loses. I have heard people saying that Chuck losing is a step backwards for MMA, but I have to strongly disagree. Rampage is a very funny guy even after he went all crazy (http://www.wrestlingobserver.com/wo/news/headlines/default.asp?aID=14331&OP=allWords&SF=arona+straight+to+hell).

PPS - Listen to Randy Couture. He always picks the winners.

EDIT: Found the better Rampage interview.

SmytheKing
May 27th, 2007, 03:35 PM
PS - Anyone else really ticked off at the crowd booing Rampage after his win? It saddens me that too many cretins are getting into MMA now that it is popular and know nothing about the history and fighters. Chuck may have been the posterboy for UFC, but that doesn't mean they have to get all butt-hurt when he loses.

Lets try not to get all sherdoggy in here ok? I'm a little sick and tired of people saying not to boo the fighters. It's lame to be quite honest. MMA is no different than any other sport in that you have fans of particular teams or individuals. People like a guy, they want him to win. He loses, they're not happy about it. They don't hate Jackson, they just know he beat their guy. So what? Page will be fine and he'll get new fans out of this. It's really getting ridiculous to call people names for booing. Christ, would any of us cheer if the Ducks beat the Kings for the Stanley Cup? It's the hardest trophy in sports to win. . .shouldn't we?

Crapgame13
May 27th, 2007, 03:50 PM
They don't hate Jackson, they just know he beat their guy. So what? Page will be fine and he'll get new fans out of this

to me this is a sort of negative to how Zuffa runs the UFC now that they've acquired Pride. There are so many fighters, nobody knows who is where and what weight division. You just kind of throw guys out there for a fight, and hope they catch on.

I don't blame the UFC-only types for not knowing who Rampage was, but for booing? I'm glad Quinton called them out.

Roody
May 27th, 2007, 04:05 PM
Christ, would any of us cheer if the Ducks beat the Kings for the Stanley Cup? It's the hardest trophy in sports to win. . .shouldn't we?

I would be pissed and disappointed, but would not boo. I respect the game too much to do that.

I respect any human being that gets into a cage/ring and makes a living beating the crap out of another person. It is not like 90% of the people there knew who Rampage was. Rampage did nothing to deserve that reaction. All he did was beat Chuck soundly and made an exciting fight. Anyone who boos that is a cretin and should immediately stop watching MMA.

These same fans would probably boo the Sakuraba/Newton fight in Pride because 99% of it was on the ground. However, it is probably the greatest exhibition of grappling I have ever seen and is widely considered one of the greatest fights in MMA history.

SmytheKing
May 27th, 2007, 04:19 PM
I would be pissed and disappointed, but would not boo. I respect the game too much to do that.

I respect any human being that gets into a cage/ring and makes a living beating the crap out of another person. It is not like 90% of the people there knew who Rampage was. Rampage did nothing to deserve that reaction. All he did was beat Chuck soundly and made an exciting fight. Anyone who boos that is a cretin and should immediately stop watching MMA.

These same fans would probably boo the Sakuraba/Newton fight in Pride because 99% of it was on the ground. However, it is probably the greatest exhibition of grappling I have ever seen and is widely considered one of the greatest fights in MMA history.

Respectfully disagree. This is the same crowd that started cheering with about 30 seconds left in the Parisyan/Burkman fight even though they were lying on the ground. That fight was exciting, and the crowd showed their approval. The ONLY reason they were booing rampage is because he knocked out their guy. It's THAT simple. Has nothing to do with respect or him being dirty or anything. It's just that the fan favorite got his ass whupped and they didn't like it. Having said that, they weren't booing when he was giving his speech until he called them out for it. He egged them on, they gave him what he wanted. No big deal.

lagwagon0
May 27th, 2007, 07:51 PM
What an upside down PPV. It turned out better than expected and this included me picking one single fight correctly(Karo). After the fact, I'm more shocked that Jardine got his ass handed to him. As for the booing, I'd probably boo Rampage too. I like Chuck and I don't like Rampage, simple as that. Now if only Hendo can beat him down...

Crapgame13
May 27th, 2007, 08:57 PM
What an upside down PPV. It turned out better than expected and this included me picking one single fight correctly(Karo). After the fact, I'm more shocked that Jardine got his ass handed to him. As for the booing, I'd probably boo Rampage too. I like Chuck and I don't like Rampage, simple as that. Now if only Hendo can beat him down...

I think Hendo fighting at 205 is a mistake. They should bring him in to fight at 185 vs. Anderson Silva or Franklin. Hendo has a good chin and good punching power, but I think Rampage will slam him to hell.

I still think Leben did more to finish the fight than Kalib, but I won't disagree with the way it was scored, except for the 30-27. But it is why I preferred the way Pride judges decided a fight, though it could be arbitrary

ASUcruz
June 2nd, 2007, 06:16 PM
Hey Dana, if you worked "so hard" to make the UFC seem legit, why not edit out the part about the brawl outside? lol

Yea that was a bit hypocritical. Talking about how he's been trying to show the public that the UFC isn't just street fights in a cage. Then he goes ahead and shows the street fighting and advertises it for ratings.

ASUcruz
June 2nd, 2007, 06:17 PM
Woo Rampage!! And now Hendo in the UFC, Rampage vs Henderson is going to be a great fight...then a possible rematch with Chuck and Rampage, a couple good fights down the road.

Also, I thought it was a great overall card.

I don't think Chuck deserves a rematch with Rampage although the UFC will give him one if he wins his next match. Rumors are he'll fight Wanderlei next.

lagwagon0
June 2nd, 2007, 08:21 PM
I think Hendo fighting at 205 is a mistake. They should bring him in to fight at 185 vs. Anderson Silva or Franklin. Hendo has a good chin and good punching power, but I think Rampage will slam him to hell.

I still think Leben did more to finish the fight than Kalib, but I won't disagree with the way it was scored, except for the 30-27. But it is why I preferred the way Pride judges decided a fight, though it could be arbitrary

I actually agree with you in regards to the Leben fight. I thought he was pressing more and did more damage as well but it was close enough I cant complain.

ASUcruz
June 3rd, 2007, 11:29 AM
Martin vs. Salaverry

Thought this was an early stoppage, but then again, Salaverry wasn't doing much on the ground when he was being hit. The "slam" wasn't much of one and Salaverry was right up as soon as the fight was stopped. Thought Martin was dumb for calling out Silva after that performance though. He'd get murdered.

Terry Martin is a very intriguing fighter at 185. He was clearly too small at LHW but it seems his power has transferred down to 185 and he's probably one of the more powerful guys in that division. I believe Martin also competes in grappling competitions like Abu Dhabi so he can probably hold his own on the ground as well. Middleweight isn't a stacked division by any means so there is an opportunity for Martin. I don't think he's ready for a title shot but a matchup with Anderson Silva would be interesting. His striking isn't precise as Silva's but I think it is just as powerful.

Stephens vs. Thomas

Good showing by Stephens in this fight. Looks like he could really do something in the future. He had a great defense against a vet on that choke. I think he got a little anxious after that and got sloppy. Thomas is on a little bit of a roll right now, but I think he'll probably just be a gatekeeper in that division. Too much going in that one for him to really move in now. Never say never though.

Stephens looked alright and was game. But he looked a little to wild to be effective. I think Thomas has a little bit more that gate keeper status as this point. His ground game is just as good as anybody's in the UFC 155 division, probably only Joe Stevenson surpasses him. His standup seems to be improving some but he's even said that he doesn't like getting hit. BUt at least he fights torwards his strengths. Anyways, I think a fight with Huerta makes sense. Good clash of styles in that one.

Parisyan vs. Burkman

Man I loved this fight. It was pretty one sided, but it was active as hell and both guys were going at it. Parisyan looked real good in there though. I'd like to see a rematch with him and Sanchez to be honest. Probably won't happen right now, but hell it would be fun to watch. He looked great at striking and his takedown defense was great once again.

Karo is one of my favorite fighters. He fought well against Burkman who was very game but probably should not have gone for the fences so much. Karo deserves a bigger fight than Karo right now. Especially since he's dominated Serra in the past. Not a title shot, but maybe the loser of GSP-Koscheck. Then if he wins that a title shot would be in order.

ASUcruz
June 3rd, 2007, 11:44 AM

I agree, I'd rather see Henderson fighting Silva or Franklin since I think 185 is his more natural weight class. Although at age 35, Hendo might be tired of cutting weight and 205 is a much easier weight for him to make.

Also I think a fight with Rampage is intriguing. Your right, Rampage will be the stronger man, but Henderson is a much more accomplished wrestler. Although 'Page will have more raw strength than Henderson, I think Henderson will be smart enough to stay out of positions where he could get powerbombed ala Arona. In the clinch he might even be more effective because of his outstanding Greco game. Plus Henderson has dangerous hands and Rampage chin still hasn't been tested.

borinka99
June 3rd, 2007, 04:42 PM
Yea that was a bit hypocritical. Talking about how he's been trying to show the public that the UFC isn't just street fights in a cage. Then he goes ahead and shows the street fighting and advertises it for ratings.

Yea, it's all about the ratings. That and maybe making himself seem like the God of MMA and being the main man in making it more "legit."

sarf
June 3rd, 2007, 05:26 PM
Johnnie Morton made his MMA debut yesterday and got KTFO.

Link to Vid (http://youtube.com/watch?v=no-qv-KdIU4)

Also, refused to take urine test (http://sports.espn.go.com/extra/mma/news/story?id=2891840)

MadDog20/20
June 4th, 2007, 02:47 PM
I respect the game too much to do that.

Great F'in post!!!!!!!! I totally agree. I think the only reason UFC fans were booing was out of ignorance becasue they don't really know who Rampage is and he decisively beat the only champ most have ever known. IMO

I was at the fight and was pretty disappointed to see and hear the fans boo. But I forgot all about it when I picked up my $260 winnings from the MGM sportsbook that Rampage won me. We hung out with him on his way into his afterparty at Ceasers, very cool guy and took pics with all of my friends and I.

On saturday I was at the Dynamite event at the Coliseum with Sakuraba/Gracie and again the boos were flying. The DJ (yes the DJ yapping during the fight) even encouraged the crowd to continue booing between 2 of the greats who paved the way for this sport, I was apalled at teh people around me. It seems as though if this new breed of MMA fan doesn't get a knock out they're disappointed and start booing. If they wanna see a brawl, download some kimbo slice videos or watch bum fights. Its sad that most don't understand MMA can be a chess match at times and just want to see a KO.

Great reference back to Saku/Newton fight Roody. Indeed one of the greatest if not the greatest of all time and my all-time favorite match. Sadly most will never see it or have even heard of Sakuraba or Newton. The Uriah Faber fight last night on VS was similar, a great display of BJJ and wrestling but still not close to Saku/Newton. It was a treat to see Saku on saturday away from Japan. I hope he comes back. Did anyone else go on saturday? I'll post pics later...

lagwagon0
June 17th, 2007, 08:38 PM
Thought I'd revive this thread with the UFC PPV yesterday. Talk about mediocre, their was one great fight shown (Guida/Griffin) that could have gone either way and the remainder were underwhelming. The favorites (Griffin/Franklin) may have won their fights but they showed nothing to show they are returning to form from recent losses.