PDA

View Full Version : The Boxing Thread

beardown29
March 27th, 2007, 09:52 PM
With the Mayweather/De La Hoya fight coming up in May, is anyone else interested in talking a little boxing?

beardown29
March 27th, 2007, 10:14 PM
Mayweather/De La Hoya preview...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wnsi-YKBpY

ASUcruz
March 28th, 2007, 09:26 AM
Pretty excited about PBF-DLH but to be honest I don't think DLH has much of a chance. His stablemate Shane Mosley would have a better chance at beating Floyd at 147. Anyways though I think at the very least, DLH will put Mayweather to the test and hopefully it will be a good fight.

Before that fight though there are some other fights going on.

April 7th on HBO, Joe Calzaghe is fighting Peter Manfredo Jr. of Contender fame. Calzaghe is up there on P4P lists but he never fights outside of the UK and hasn't really been tested. I don't think Manfredo has much of a shot but its always fun to watch Calzaghe fight. He's a really good fighter that many in the US haven't seen.

April 14th on PPV, Manny Pacquaio fights Jorge Solis. I don't know much about Solid, but any Manny fight I'll watch/buy. Most exciting fighter in boxing. Also on the card is Jorge Arce, also one of the most exciting fighters in boxing.

beardown29
March 28th, 2007, 11:51 AM
I am interested to watch that Calzaghe/Mafredo Jr. Im hoping to see Calzaghe win it so we can possibly get a fight between Calzaghe and Mikko Kessler. It sounds like they have been dodging each other for awhile, but I think that would be a great fight.

Im hoping De La Hoya beats up on the Pretty Boy... but I think your right, Im not giving him much of a chance either. Mayweather is just too fast for De La Hoya I think.

ASUcruz
March 28th, 2007, 01:19 PM
I am interested to watch that Calzaghe/Mafredo Jr. Im hoping to see Calzaghe win it so we can possibly get a fight between Calzaghe and Mikko Kessler. It sounds like they have been dodging each other for awhile, but I think that would be a great fight.

Im hoping De La Hoya beats up on the Pretty Boy... but I think your right, Im not giving him much of a chance either. Mayweather is just too fast for De La Hoya I think.

I don't think Manfredo stands a chance. Well anything can happen in the ring, so he has some chance, but I think Calzaghe tools him.

beardown29
March 28th, 2007, 03:31 PM
I would be shocked if Manfredo doesnt get KO'd. I dont think Manfredo has any business fighting Calzaghe right now, but I think the exposure Manfredo recieved while on The Contender may have made him an attractive opponent for Calzaghe.
Is Freddy Roach still training Manfredo?

chu gar
March 28th, 2007, 04:21 PM
I'll talk Boxing, but for me it's all about Klitschko...

ASUcruz
March 28th, 2007, 04:22 PM
I would be shocked if Manfredo doesnt get KO'd. I dont think Manfredo has any business fighting Calzaghe right now, but I think the exposure Manfredo recieved while on The Contender may have made him an attractive opponent for Calzaghe.

Manfredo is a decent fighter, he doesn't deserve a title shot or anything but he's willing to go to the UK to fight Calzaghe. I don't think there are many American fighters out there willing to do that especially after what happend to Lacy.

Is Freddy Roach still training Manfredo?

Nope, Roach is with team Golden Boy helping Oscar prep for Floyd.

beardown29
March 28th, 2007, 05:12 PM
I'll talk Boxing, but for me it's all about Klitschko...

He is for sure the best heavyweight out there right now...
What do you think about his brother coming back?

Mondo Blando
March 28th, 2007, 05:34 PM
Oscar has very, very little chance to upset Mayweather. In fact, he has never truly beaten any top-level fighters in their prime or at their optimum weight. He is a great talent for certain, but he built his reputation on beating blown up or washed up fighters. He has no courage, and is far too slow and limited to do much of anything against Floyd. It isn't even going to be that interesting of a fight, emotionally or tactically.

Kessler/Calzaghe is definitely a fight in the making, though I would love to see old man Hopkins take on Calzaghe before he hangs them up.

chu gar
March 28th, 2007, 06:42 PM
He is for sure the best heavyweight out there right now...
What do you think about his brother coming back?

I hope he's able too. I was upset about his injury, because I felt he had many more years left in him.

beardown29
March 29th, 2007, 12:54 PM
I hope he's able too. I was upset about his injury, because I felt he had many more years left in him.

Im hoping Wladimir gets a chance to fight either Maskaev or Valuev soon. Neither one of those guys impresses me at all, I think Wladimir would stomp both of them. I think boxing needs a heavyweight who can unify the titles and I think Wladimir has a great chance to do that.

beardown29
March 29th, 2007, 01:02 PM
Oscar has very, very little chance to upset Mayweather. In fact, he has never truly beaten any top-level fighters in their prime or at their optimum weight. He is a great talent for certain, but he built his reputation on beating blown up or washed up fighters. He has no courage, and is far too slow and limited to do much of anything against Floyd. It isn't even going to be that interesting of a fight, emotionally or tactically.

Kessler/Calzaghe is definitely a fight in the making, though I would love to see old man Hopkins take on Calzaghe before he hangs them up.

Your probably right about the Mayweather/DeLaHoya fight, but Im hoping Oscar turns it into a good fight. If nothing else, Oscar has heart and sometimes thats enough. I think Mayweather is far more skilled than Oscar and Mayweather should dominate the fight, but for some reason I think Oscar will step up.

I would hate to see Hopkins beat Calzaghe before a Kessler/Calzaghe matchup can be made. I think it would take away from Kessler beating up on Calzaghe. Kessler has no respect out here, but thats probably his own fault for not leaving his country to fight.

chu gar
March 29th, 2007, 01:47 PM
Im hoping Wladimir gets a chance to fight either Maskaev or Valuev soon. Neither one of those guys impresses me at all, I think Wladimir would stomp both of them. I think boxing needs a heavyweight who can unify the titles and I think Wladimir has a great chance to do that.

I hope so. The man has form. I love how he knocked his last opponent out without using his right hand once. We need more champion boxers who are Doctors. This is where I hope Vitali comes in, and to be honest I would really like to see Wladimir and Vitali see their dream of both of them holding championship belts at the same time.

CIrvine
March 30th, 2007, 08:34 PM
I think Mayweather-de la Hoya is going to be a boring fight if you are looking for a knockout. I say Mayweather by decision.

ASUcruz
April 7th, 2007, 03:54 PM
Well Mannfredo didn't last too long.

beardown29
April 11th, 2007, 01:39 PM
Well Mannfredo didn't last too long.

That was a terrible stoppage! I know Manfredo wasnt throwing any punches for about 10 seconds straight, but he was never hurt and he was keeping his gloves up. Never should've been stopped...

UnderPressure
April 11th, 2007, 11:20 PM
April 14th on PPV, Manny Pacquaio fights Jorge Solis. I don't know much about Solid, but any Manny fight I'll watch/buy. Most exciting fighter in boxing. Also on the card is Jorge Arce, also one of the most exciting fighters in boxing.

Looking forward to that fight as well. But ****, I wish I could afford it. Solis is undefeated so far, I believe.

ASUcruz
April 14th, 2007, 10:11 PM
Pac-Man gets an 8th round KO. Pac had to overcome some adversity, a clash of heads opened up a small cut in the 6th round. Solis was a game fighter but he was just completley outgunned.

UnderPressure
April 14th, 2007, 10:11 PM
**** Yeah!

Cross Traffic
April 14th, 2007, 10:36 PM
FSN is showing the Chagaev/Valuev WBA heavyweight title fight. Its like watching punch out, little guy taking on Bald Bull. Chagaev won the title on a majority decision. Marciano's record is still safe.

ASUcruz
April 14th, 2007, 10:38 PM
I'm glad Valuev is done. The guy was a circus act. Hopefully he's not a factor anymore.

Mr. Irreverent
April 14th, 2007, 11:16 PM
Pac-Man gets an 8th round KO. Pac had to overcome some adversity, a clash of heads opened up a small cut in the 6th round. Solis was a game fighter but he was just completley outgunned.

I'm not a big fan of the Pac-man, not sure why because it's obvious he's got talent to beat some top opponents. Help me out here ASU, why do I not like him?

ASUcruz
April 15th, 2007, 12:12 AM
I'm not a big fan of the Pac-man, not sure why because it's obvious he's got talent to beat some top opponents. Help me out here ASU, why do I not like him?

No idea. He does have talent to beat top opponents. I know this because he already has done so. He's the king of 130 and was the king at 126. Unless your Mexican, Pac is easy to like. He's a nice guy who is always smiling and he gives the fans what they want. All action all the time. He comes forward and never backs up and he has a great chin that lets him take a ton of punishment. Even though he is the new Mexicutioner, I think a lot of Latinos like and respect Pacquiao because he fights the way a Mexican would fight.

Who are your favorite guys?

Mr. Irreverent
April 16th, 2007, 02:00 AM
No idea. He does have talent to beat top opponents. I know this because he already has done so. He's the king of 130 and was the king at 126. Unless your Mexican, Pac is easy to like. He's a nice guy who is always smiling and he gives the fans what they want. All action all the time. He comes forward and never backs up and he has a great chin that lets him take a ton of punishment. Even though he is the new Mexicutioner, I think a lot of Latinos like and respect Pacquiao because he fights the way a Mexican would fight.

Who are your favorite guys?

I always had mad respect for Barrera in his glory days, I guess I'm also a De la Hoya fan too. To be honest I don't know as much as my friend about boxing (he is obsessed) but I know a thing a or two about it and I can't wait to go see one live!

Maybe I don't like Pac because he has a CD out in the Philipines...

ASUcruz
April 16th, 2007, 08:37 AM
I always had mad respect for Barrera in his glory days, I guess I'm also a De la Hoya fan too. To be honest I don't know as much as my friend about boxing (he is obsessed) but I know a thing a or two about it and I can't wait to go see one live!

Maybe I don't like Pac because he has a CD out in the Philipines...

Yea the whole music thing is pretty bad. It's more hilarious than anything. The guy is such a national treasure that people buy it too. De La Hoya had a flirtation with music as well that was equally bad.

Unless your a huge Morales/Barrera fan I don't see how anyone can not like Pacquiao. Everyone seems to love him, even Mexicans at the very least respect him.

beardown29
April 16th, 2007, 04:20 PM
Has anyone on here seen a big fight (PPV caliber) live? I know ticket prices for decent seats are out of control. Just wondering if it would be worth the money.

beardown29
April 16th, 2007, 08:06 PM
I just watched the first episode of the new HBO special, DeLaHoya/Mayweather 24/7, and I decided that I really hate Mayweather. I understand that alot of his antics are a result of him trying to promote the fight and create some public interest, but stealing Oscar's training gear is going a bit too far.

GQIQJoe
April 17th, 2007, 11:45 AM
Has anyone on here seen a big fight (PPV caliber) live? I know ticket prices for decent seats are out of control. Just wondering if it would be worth the money.

I was a guest of JBruin and pgcruz's last year for Barrera-Juarez I. Boxing live is great, especially if the crowd is in it.

So Sumi
April 17th, 2007, 11:59 AM
I think Mayweather-de la Hoya is going to be a boring fight if you are looking for a knockout. I say Mayweather by decision.

Yup.

English Bulldog
April 17th, 2007, 02:09 PM

Been to some, Toney vs Peter was the last one
If you can go, do so when the crowd gets going its great, plus you can always see plenty of hot chicks

ASUcruz
April 26th, 2007, 10:37 AM
Here's a good article on the state of boxing.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/070425

beardown29
April 26th, 2007, 03:47 PM
[QUOTE=ASUcruz;813079]Here's a good article on the state of boxing.

Thanks for the acticle. Anyone been watching The Contender Challenge? Its been decent so far, Im glad they are showing the entire fights instead of the highlights they were showing during the last 2 seasons.

ASUcruz
April 26th, 2007, 10:06 PM
[QUOTE=ASUcruz;813079]Here's a good article on the state of boxing.

Thanks for the acticle. Anyone been watching The Contender Challenge? Its been decent so far, Im glad they are showing the entire fights instead of the highlights they were showing during the last 2 seasons.

The Curiel fight was pretty good. It's kinda hard to watch fights that aren't live though.

beardown29
April 26th, 2007, 11:51 PM
The Alfonso Gomez fight was pretty entertaining. The Cruiel fight was decent, he just got off a lucky shot though. There was no way he wouldve won that fight had the Euro guy made it out of the round. I guess thats what makes boxing fun to watch though...

CIrvine
June 13th, 2007, 08:55 PM
Antonio Margarito vs. Paul Williams at the Home Depot Center on July 14. Anyboby else thinking of going?

UnderPressure
June 13th, 2007, 09:55 PM
Hey ASU. Any idea who Manny wants to face in his next fight? I'm hoping it will be Humberto Soto. I'd love to see him avenge his brother.

Mondo Blando
June 14th, 2007, 01:17 AM
Antonio Margarito vs. Paul Williams at the Home Depot Center on July 14. Anyboby else thinking of going?

That's going to be a hell of a fight. Right now, my money's on Williams and his long, long jab.

UnderPressure
June 29th, 2007, 05:59 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news;_ylt=Aqe13H_2BjKylKB7SfUtnYI5nYcB?slug=ki-toprank062907&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Barrera-Pacquiao rematch

SystemOfACrown
June 30th, 2007, 09:27 AM
My boy Barrera is going to get his ass kicked. At least it's to the most exciting and best fighter in the world...Screw Floyd Mayweather...

Mondo Blando
June 30th, 2007, 01:23 PM
My boy Barrera is going to get his ass kicked. At least it's to the most exciting and best fighter in the world...Screw Floyd Mayweather...

I have to agree - Barrera has been one of my favorites over the last 10-12 years, but he's in deep against Pacquiao.

Mondo Blando
July 8th, 2007, 12:19 AM
Is their any single weapon in boxing that is more fierce than Klitschko's jab?

ASUcruz
July 10th, 2007, 11:12 PM
Hey ASU. Any idea who Manny wants to face in his next fight? I'm hoping it will be Humberto Soto. I'd love to see him avenge his brother.

I'm glad Soto didn't get a fight with Manny. No disrespect to Soto, he's a solid fighter but I'll always think of him as Erik Morales' sparring partner. A fight with Manny doesn't do much for Pac.

I like that he's fighting Barrera, 2 legends, I think Barrera will lose but I don't think he'll get destroyed like last time. Well I think he'll get knocked out but I think he'll last longer than Morales did.

To be honest I was hoping Marquez and Pacquaio would fight, but Marquez got locked into a bout already. Hopefully both guys win and they can set up that fight for next year.

Cross Traffic
July 11th, 2007, 06:58 PM
Espnews just showed the Vargas/Mayorga press conference highlights, with fists flying and Don King in the middle of it.

20,000 are going to pay to see Vargas get used as a pi?ata. Mayorga in 6 rounds.

Roody
July 11th, 2007, 08:12 PM
I heard through the grapevine that Hatton is gonna fight Pretty Boy Floyd. Is that just wishful thinking or is that fight gonna happen? If so, I will be ordering a boxing PPV for the first time ever.

ASUcruz
July 12th, 2007, 04:52 AM
Espnews just showed the Vargas/Mayorga press conference highlights, with fists flying and Don King in the middle of it.

20,000 are going to pay to see Vargas get used as a pi?ata. Mayorga in 6 rounds.

Eh, I think Vargas is actually a legitimate boxer. Mayorga is just a blown up club fighter. Any boxer should be able to pick him apart. He's got zero skil and no defense. He has some power but he swings from so wide that he telegraphs anything. He beat Vernon Forrest, but only because Forrest got sucked into fighting Mayorga's kind of fight. The same might happen with Vargas, but I don't think it will. Too much riding on the line for him to just fight a slugfest.

Curious Cross Traffic, do you actually think Ricardo Mayorga is a good fighter?

Cross Traffic
July 12th, 2007, 07:08 AM
No, just can't stand Vargas at all.

Rob2716
July 12th, 2007, 08:27 AM
I heard through the grapevine that Hatton is gonna fight Pretty Boy Floyd. Is that just wishful thinking or is that fight gonna happen? If so, I will be ordering a boxing PPV for the first time ever.

I've read that this is the fight Mayweather wants most. And why not? As relentless as Hatton can be, he has a history of getting his face busted up. And you just know Mayweather will be running away from him all night and potshotting. Hatton would have to impose his will on him quickly. Basically, Mayweather likely gets a bigger paycheck facing Hatton, who would have to step up in weight, or he could face Mosley, who I think would give Mayweather a much bigger challenge. Since Mayweather is more businessman than an actual fighter, it's pretty much a no-brainer.

And I can't stand Mayorga. Vargas should win that fight, but all it takes is one moment of carelessness and Vargas could find himself unconscious.

igotnothing
July 14th, 2007, 11:33 PM
My brother and I just got back from the Margarito/Williams fight. Very entertaining. Williams was all over Margarito in the first 4 or 5 rounds, but Margarito took some of the later rounds, landing the most impressive shots. Not enough to keep his belt though. Williams has long arms.

The crowd was very, VERY intense and into the fight. I think in the 8th and 9th rounds there were two fights in the stands. The first one lasted for what seemed like 25-30 seconds before security came and broke it up. Mostly a pro Margarito crowd, so lots of booing after the fight.

Most interestingly, I saw some members of the Kings management there. One was a guy who I see all the time at Staples Center, but I don't know who he is or what he does. The other guy is someone I used to see all the time at Staples Center, and now the current President of Business Operations. I didn't get a chance to talk to either of them, unfortunately. They left around the 8th round.

CIrvine
July 21st, 2007, 02:37 PM
I like Winky Wright tonight over Hopkins.

SystemOfACrown
July 27th, 2007, 10:42 PM
Going back to the Margarito-Williams fight I have to say I had Margarito winning that. Tapping the other dudes gloves and looking more active shouldn't score you a victory.

Anyone else want to see HBO's paper champion Jermaine Taylor get knocked out by Kelly Pavlik? Pavlik better knock him out because Taylor won't lose a decision.

Mondo Blando
July 27th, 2007, 11:17 PM
Going back to the Margarito-Williams fight I have to say I had Margarito winning that. Tapping the other dudes gloves and looking more active shouldn't score you a victory.

Anyone else want to see HBO's paper champion Jermaine Taylor get knocked out by Kelly Pavlik? Pavlik better knock him out because Taylor won't lose a decision.

I had Williams winning 116-112.

Yeah, I can't wait for Pavlik to rip Taylor up.

ASUcruz
July 28th, 2007, 04:03 AM

Williams didn't look more active, he WAS more active. Margarito made a late charge but any boxer should know that you can't give up that many early rounds and still win a decision. I agree that Margarito did block a lot of what Williams was throwing but he didn't mount any kind of offense in the early rounds and Williams did land a fair share of jabs in Margarito's face. Remember one of the 4 criteria for winning fights is effective aggresiveness.

Not to mention Margarito clearly crapped out in the 12th and didn't fight in thar round. If he really wanted it he should have gone for broke in that round. IF he did, he would have forced a majority draw and would be slated to fight Miguel Cotto. His whining after the fight was pathetic, if he really wanted to win he should have fought in the 12th.

ASUcruz
July 28th, 2007, 04:19 AM
Most interestingly, I saw some members of the Kings management there. One was a guy who I see all the time at Staples Center, but I don't know who he is or what he does. The other guy is someone I used to see all the time at Staples Center, and now the current President of Business Operations. I didn't get a chance to talk to either of them, unfortunately. They left around the 8th round.

Robitallie was there with Lewieke. Camera didn't show them directly, but you could easily make them out on TV. Interesting that you saw Kings management guys there but didn't notice Luc.

He was at the Samuel Peter-James Toney fight I watched in Staples as well.

ASUcruz
July 28th, 2007, 04:25 AM

I'm anxious to see how Jermain Taylor does against a conventional opponent. In other words a guy who will stand in front of him and fight.

Certainly Bernard Hopkins and Winky Wright are anything but conventional and can make the best fighters look bad. All three of those fights were tossups and I can see why some people think Taylor should have lost all 3. But then again it was fairly impressive to see a raw fighter hang in with the best for 36 rounds.

I think he should have blasted Kassim Ouma who was moving up in weight, I was disappointed in Taylor's performance there. This last fight against Spinx was a snoozefest but Spinx is a matchup nightmare, a guy who won't fight and will just run. Detractors of Mayweather should watch a couple Spinx fights. At least Mayweater throws leather, Spinx does nothing of the sort.

Pavlik will stand and trade with Taylor and he does look more skilled in terms of technique. Taylor is very raw and even working with Emmanuel Steward hasn't helped him so much(admittedly he's never had a full training camp with Steward since Taylor wants to train in the south). I hope oddsmakers install Taylor as the favorite cause I want to lay some chalk down on Pavlik. Either way I think Jermain will look better in this fight than he has in the past, ironically I think he will lose though.

ASUcruz
July 28th, 2007, 04:36 AM
As many of you know, if Antonio Margarito had beaten Paul Williams he would have fought Miguel Cotto in the fall. Since that didn't happen and with Golden Boy and Top Rank back on good terms a new opponent has been found for Miguel Cotto. None other than Sugar Shane Mosley.

Personally I am very excited for this bout. It will be a huge step up in competition for Cotto, he has never seen a fighter that has the tools that Mosley has: speed, power, and smarts. Mosley is one of my favorite fighters, second only to Pac-Man and he continues his long tradition of fighting the best.

I think this will be a dynamite fight, Cotto is an all action brute force fighter with a devestating body attack. Probably the best left hook to the body since Chavez. While Mosley is a speedy and skilled fighter who is an action fighter as well. One thing is for sure Mosley won't run, he never has.

This will be a great fight, if Cotto wins he is vaulted to the top 5 of pound for pound rankings and with that win under his belt he'll force other big fights. If Mosley wins he gets another name to add to his hall of fame boxing resume. It should be a great one.

SystemOfACrown
July 28th, 2007, 04:54 PM
Williams didn't look more active, he WAS more active. Margarito made a late charge but any boxer should know that you can't give up that many early rounds and still win a decision. I agree that Margarito did block a lot of what Williams was throwing but he didn't mount any kind of offense in the early rounds and Williams did land a fair share of jabs in Margarito's face. Remember one of the 4 criteria for winning fights is effective aggresiveness.

Not to mention Margarito clearly crapped out in the 12th and didn't fight in thar round. If he really wanted it he should have gone for broke in that round. IF he did, he would have forced a majority draw and would be slated to fight Miguel Cotto. His whining after the fight was pathetic, if he really wanted to win he should have fought in the 12th.

Boxing is about who lands the cleaner, harder, more effective shots.

Agree with you on the first two rounds but after that it was Margarito who got the best of Paul Williams by chasing him down and getting the better shots.

I wouldn't call what Williams was doing effective aggressiveness it was more of an effective "looking like your aggressive and causing ZERO damage"...It's the way judges have been scoring fights since Leonard vs Hagler. Style over substance.

I had it 115-113 Margarito...obviously not an onslaught but still the victory for Antonio.

Watch the fight on mute without the cheerleading of the HBO groupies...well...Larry Merchant rules...

ASUcruz
July 28th, 2007, 05:40 PM
Boxing is about who lands the cleaner, harder, more effective shots.

Agree with you on the first two rounds but after that it was Margarito who got the best of Paul Williams by chasing him down and getting the better shots.

I wouldn't call what Williams was doing effective aggressiveness it was more of an effective "looking like your aggressive and causing ZERO damage"...It's the way judges have been scoring fights since Leonard vs Hagler. Style over substance.

I had it 115-113 Margarito...obviously not an onslaught but still the victory for Antonio.

Watch the fight on mute without the cheerleading of the HBO groupies...well...Larry Merchant rules...

I disagree, Margarito didn't start fighting in the third, he was still giving away rounds at that point. I don't think he woke up until at least the 6th.

And still, he never hurt Williams until the 11th round, both guys have good chins, plus I don't think either of them have great power. Williams didn't hurt Margarito either but he still landed plenty of clean punches.

Not to mention, Margarito still took it easy in the 12th round, something that you simply cannot do in a close fight and Williams took him completley out of his game. Margarito is known as a puncher who throws a ton of leather at his opponent. Against Williams he did nothing of the sort.

Haggler-Leonard is a terrible comparison, since Leonard stole many of those rounds by flurrying during the last 10 seconds of the round. Williams landed clean punches throughout the rounds plus its not like he's a known commodity like Leonard was. This fight was in Margarito's back yard.

ASUcruz
July 28th, 2007, 06:05 PM
Also Mayweather-Hatton has been agreed to in principle for December 8th.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=2952696

I think Hatton will be exposed in this fight(if he wasn't already by Luis Collazo). And will lose a pretty lopsided decision. The most fight fans can hope for is that he at least makes Mayweather fight a few rounds but I'm not holding my breath.

Rob2716
July 28th, 2007, 08:16 PM
As many of you know, if Antonio Margarito had beaten Paul Williams he would have fought Miguel Cotto in the fall. Since that didn't happen and with Golden Boy and Top Rank back on good terms a new opponent has been found for Miguel Cotto. None other than Sugar Shane Mosley.

Personally I am very excited for this bout. It will be a huge step up in competition for Cotto, he has never seen a fighter that has the tools that Mosley has: speed, power, and smarts. Mosley is one of my favorite fighters, second only to Pac-Man and he continues his long tradition of fighting the best.

I think this will be a dynamite fight, Cotto is an all action brute force fighter with a devestating body attack. Probably the best left hook to the body since Chavez. While Mosley is a speedy and skilled fighter who is an action fighter as well. One thing is for sure Mosley won't run, he never has.

This will be a great fight, if Cotto wins he is vaulted to the top 5 of pound for pound rankings and with that win under his belt he'll force other big fights. If Mosley wins he gets another name to add to his hall of fame boxing resume. It should be a great one.

Wow. Hadn't heard about this, so thanks for the info. If this happens, it will be a great fight. Will be interesting to see how Cotto deals with Shane's speed and boxing. Shane can be pretty relentless to the body himself, when he's really on his game. If Shane can beat Cotto, Mayweather won't be able to duck Mosley.

SystemOfACrown
July 28th, 2007, 11:43 PM
We can agree to disagree ASU...did u catch the Baldomir Vernon Forest fight? How did you score it?

ASUcruz
July 29th, 2007, 12:15 AM
We can agree to disagree ASU...did u catch the Baldomir Vernon Forest fight? How did you score it?

Yea we will have to. Anyways it's good that we finally have some good boxing discussion on these boards!

I am in Manila right now so I don't think that fight was shown live. I'm sure they will show it here eventually as the nation is pretty boxing crazed.

They show most of the big fights live and free unless its a Pacquiao fight which is PPV.

All fight fans NEED to watch next week's fight. Rafael Marquez and Israel Vasquez II. The first one was a war while it lasted. Marquez broke Vasquez's nose and Vasquez said he couldn't continue. The second fight should be and will be a barnburner.

Mondo Blando
July 29th, 2007, 01:47 AM
I'm not a huge Hatton guy, nor am I a Mayweather hater, but I'm thinking that Hatton has a very, very good chance in this fight.

Collazo is actually quicker than Mayweather at this stage of his career, and Hatton is a fight-to-the-level-of-his-competition boxer. He has the speed and aggression necessary to make Floyd more than a little uncomfortable. Plus, Mayweather already has a natural tendency to sag against the ropes, and he will catch more leather from Hatton than he ever has before.

Vernon Forrest looked great tonight.

ASUcruz
July 29th, 2007, 05:43 PM
I'm not a huge Hatton guy, nor am I a Mayweather hater, but I'm thinking that Hatton has a very, very good chance in this fight.

If history tells us anything it is that Hatton's style is the one that gives Mayweather the most fits. Really the only fight I've ever seen in which Mayweather was really in trouble was his first fight against Jose Luis Castillo. Castillo's relentless body attack and willingness to come forward gave Mayweather a lot of trouble and some think Mayweather lost that fight. I think Hatton has a chance of beating Mayweather, but I don't think he neccesarily has a GOOD chance. Hatton's bully style is far more effective at 140, at 147 he's a lot slower and he's not that much stronger than other welterweights. I don't think he's as devestating a puncher as Castillo was in his prime, he's more of a tactician, notice how much he punches then grabs in his fights.

THe other side of the story is that in his rematch against Castillo, Mayweather schooled him and was never in trouble. So how much does a pressure fighter effect him? We will see.

Collazo is actually quicker than Mayweather at this stage of his career.

I have to really disagree with this point. In his last fight, Collazo was consistently beaten to the punch and outquicked by Shane Mosley. Mosley's quickness is on par with Mayweather's if not a tad bit worse. I don't see how Collazo is quicker than Mayweather, especially in terms of foot speed and hand speed. There's not that many boxers that can match Mayweather in hand speed. Remember after he solved Judah, he consistently beat him to the punch and marked up Judah's face quite badly. And Judah for all his faults has tremendous handspeed.

and Hatton is a fight-to-the-level-of-his-competition boxer. He has the speed and aggression necessary to make Floyd more than a little uncomfortable. Plus, Mayweather already has a natural tendency to sag against the ropes, and he will catch more leather from Hatton than he ever has before

I don't think Hatton has the speed to make Mayweather uncomfortable. I don't think Hatton has great speed at all and with the extra 7 pounds he'll be carrying he'll be even that much more sluggish. I think of Hatton as a plodder. I am really impressed by his techincal skills and tactics. His footwork is great, against Juan Urango his consistently circled to his left in order to avoid the big right hand Urango has and whenever he was in trouble he grabbed. Much like Wladmir did against Samuel Peter.

Mayweather is a smart fighter, he stayed against the ropes against Judah and Oscar because he knew he could take anything they threw at him and even avoid many of those punches and at the same time land plenty of his own shots with pinpoint accuracy. Remember against Baldomir, Mayweather would stick his jab in Baldy's face then get on his bike. I think he'll employ that same strategy against Hatton.

I hope Hatton makes it a fight, but I want Mayweather to win. Hopefully then we'll see him fight the winner of Mosley-Cotto.

Again I'll say that I'm pleased to see the boxing thread becoming active. There are plenty of great fights in the second half of the year that all fight fans should be excited about.

Cup B4 I Die
August 10th, 2007, 12:40 PM
Watched a replay of the Barrera/Morales 1 last night. What an amazing fight. If only they all could be that way.

I'm looking forward to Pavlik/Taylor. I kind of like Pavlik in that fight. Anyone know the betting line?

ASUcruz
August 14th, 2007, 07:05 AM
Watched a replay of the Barrera/Morales 1 last night. What an amazing fight. If only they all could be that way.

Barrera-Morales I and II are absolute classics. Must watch fights for every boxing fan. Honestly, both those fights could have gone either way.

I'm looking forward to Pavlik/Taylor. I kind of like Pavlik in that fight. Anyone know the betting line?

Opinions seemed to be mixed on this fight whenever I ask people their thoughts. Also with pundits and experts. I checked bodog, they don't have any lines set for the fight yet.

ASUcruz
August 14th, 2007, 07:14 AM
This thread needs an update from the last time we've talked.

As I predicted and it of course was a no brainer, the Rafael Marquez-Israel Vazquez fight was a barnburner. Action throughout, with both little guys throwing heavy leather. Israel stopped Marquez in the 6th. Some say the fight was stopped early, but I was fine with the stoppage. For those who haven't seen it make sure you do, I know a lot of people don't have showtime so I searched youtube and found this kid who has the fight. Here's the link to his video page. Enjoy!

http://youtube.com/profile_videos?user=jcandpacquiao

Also that same night(luckily I was in Manila and they showed the Morales fight for free) Erik Morales lost a tough decision to David Diaz. David Diaz is a paper champion but he showed a lot of heart as did Morales. Morales was trying to make history, the first Mexican boxer to win 4 belts at 4 different weight classes but he fell just short. Morales fought well though in his typical fashion.

Morales announced his retirement and he'll will undoubtedly be a first ballot hall of famer. Morales gave fight fans plenty of great fights and even Barrera fans should give him his due.

Finally, this past Saturday, Golden Boy put on a World Cup of boxing, Mexico Vs. Philippines. The Philippines won the myhtical World Cup only losing one bout. The one bout was the main event, Daniel Ponce De Leon destroyed top Filipino prospect Ray Bautista in devestating fashion. Ponce De Leon is a rising star, kid has a ton of power. Keep an eye on him.

The other signifigant fight was Jhonny Gonzalez Vs. filipino veteran Gerry Penalosa. Penalosa losing the fight until the 6th when he landed a big time body punch that dropped Gonzalez. Gonzales couldn't get up and Penalosa won his belt. Penalosa is an true veteran of the sport. Not quite a Hall of Famer but he was a solid belt holder for a long time. He has never been knocked out and has a ton of solid wins under his belt. I hope he retires but boxers never do.....

ASUcruz
August 14th, 2007, 07:17 AM
Also the big news of this week is Don King setting up a Felix Trinidad-Roy Jones Jr. fight.

Both guys are washed up, but the name power alone makes me want to see this fight. The fight will be at 170 a weight Tito has never fought at and a weight Roy Jones hasn't fought at in awhile.

I don't really know what to expect out of this fight. Tito is coming off a long lay off while Jones has been fighting scrubs. Roy is still quick and I think he'll be able to out quick Tito to decision. He's chin is obviously glass so Tito does have a puncher's chance.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=2972977

Cup B4 I Die
August 14th, 2007, 01:23 PM
Also the big news of this week is Don King setting up a Felix Trinidad-Roy Jones Jr. fight.

Both guys are washed up, but the name power alone makes me want to see this fight. The fight will be at 170 a weight Tito has never fought at and a weight Roy Jones hasn't fought at in awhile.

I don't really know what to expect out of this fight. Tito is coming off a long lay off while Jones has been fighting scrubs. Roy is still quick and I think he'll be able to out quick Tito to decision. He's chin is obviously glass so Tito does have a puncher's chance.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=2972977

Love talking boxing, might be my 3rd favorite sport behind football and hockey.

IMO, Jones Jr vs Tito amounts to a couple of bigtime names figting for money. But I guess that's what boxing is these days anyways.

I'm wondering if HBO will pick up this fight. Probably not, so Showtime most likely will.

I'm tempted to get tickets to the Vargas/Mayorga fight. I'm anticipating these two going at it, could be an entertaining fight. Thougts??

ASUcruz
August 14th, 2007, 02:05 PM
IMO, Jones Jr vs Tito amounts to a couple of bigtime names figting for money. But I guess that's what boxing is these days anyways.

That's pretty much what it comes down to. I'll probably end up ordering it though. My roommate is a huge Tito fan so I'm sure he'll want to watch it. Both guys have so much star power I'm guessing it'll do surprisingly well as far as PPV numbers.

I'm wondering if HBO will pick up this fight. Probably not, so Showtime most likely will.

I believe HBO has a pretty full schedule in the fall. Doubt that they pick up the fight. I think it'll be PPV for sure.

I'm tempted to get tickets to the Vargas/Mayorga fight. I'm anticipating these two going at it, could be an entertaining fight. Thougts??

Vargas-Mayorga won't be the most technical fight but I'll guarantee you it won't go to the scorecards. Being at a fight is always a good thing and it should have a pretty good atmosphere. I say go for it.

Cup B4 I Die
August 14th, 2007, 03:15 PM
That's pretty much what it comes down to. I'll probably end up ordering it though. My roommate is a huge Tito fan so I'm sure he'll want to watch it. Both guys have so much star power I'm guessing it'll do surprisingly well as far as PPV numbers.

I believe HBO has a pretty full schedule in the fall. Doubt that they pick up the fight. I think it'll be PPV for sure.

Vargas-Mayorga won't be the most technical fight but I'll guarantee you it won't go to the scorecards. Being at a fight is always a good thing and it should have a pretty good atmosphere. I say go for it.

Yah, nothing like going to a live fight. I went to see Taylor vs Hopkins 1 in Vegas. By brother and I sat in the last row at the MGM, but we had a great time.

I'm still pissed at myself for not getting seats for the Paul Williams/Margarito fight in Carson, wished I was there for that one.

UnderPressure
August 15th, 2007, 10:18 AM
****. I don't know how Rey Boom Boom will respond after getting KTFO by de Leon in the 1st round!

ASUcruz
August 15th, 2007, 07:49 PM
****. I don't know how Rey Boom Boom will respond after getting KTFO by de Leon in the 1st round!

He's still young, taking the Ponce de Leon fight was a huge huge mistake. He should have been brought along a lot more slowly. He still has a future, but he's going to have to learn some defense or at least some head movement.

Cup B4 I Die
August 17th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Anyone know what Prince Hamed is up to these days?

Rob2716
August 17th, 2007, 02:04 PM

Probably still having nightmares of the asswhooping Marco Antonio Barrera gave him.

Haven't watched that one in a while. I'll have to find the tape this weekend.

ASUcruz
August 17th, 2007, 04:56 PM

He went to jail not that long ago for reckless driving. I think he is out now but his career is over.

Mondo Blando
August 17th, 2007, 05:26 PM
Probably still having nightmares of the asswhooping Marco Antonio Barrera gave him.

You know, I remember that fight being really one-sided, but after watching the tape a couple of weeks ago, Hamed really deserved to win 4 of the 12 rounds.

Barrera took his foot off the gas in the middle of that fight.

ASUcruz
August 17th, 2007, 05:30 PM
You know, I remember that fight being really one-sided, but after watching the tape a couple of weeks ago, Hamed really deserved to win 4 of the 12 rounds.

Barrera took his foot off the gas in the middle of that fight.

I wasn't impressed by Hamed in this fight or any fight in particular. In this one he was taken totally out of his game and he ran. The fight is online, I'll try and find it to watch again, but Hamed was throughly dominated in this fight. Barrera brought the fight and Hamed didn't want it.

Anyways, I was pissed that Morales never got to fight Hamed. Hamed ducked both guys for years, he deserved an ass kicking from Morales too.

Mondo Blando
August 17th, 2007, 05:38 PM
I wasn't impressed by Hamed in this fight or any fight in particular. In this one he was taken totally out of his game and he ran. The fight is online, I'll try and find it to watch again, but Hamed was throughly dominated in this fight. Barrera brought the fight and Hamed didn't want it.

Anyways, I was pissed that Morales never got to fight Hamed. Hamed ducked both guys for years, he deserved an ass kicking from Morales too.

Check it out again - when Hamed had his jab pumping he won the rounds.

ASUcruz
August 17th, 2007, 05:44 PM
Check it out again - when Hamed had his jab pumping he won the rounds.

I'll watch it again but I don't think I'm going to be convinced.

Anyways what did you think the scores should have been? The scorecards were 115-112, 115-112, and 116-111.

Mondo Blando
August 17th, 2007, 05:52 PM
I'll watch it again but I don't think I'm going to be convinced.

Anyways what did you think the scores should have been? The scorecards were 115-112, 115-112, and 116-111.

115-112 for Barrera.

He lost a point for turnbuckling Hamed. Barrera's winning rounds were so much more dominant than the ones I scored for Hamed that it looks like it should be a wider margin.

That's one thing that non-boxing fans can't understand - you could have a fight were every round was extremely close, but still see a 120-108 scorecard if one fighter did enough ot barely win each round. Conversely, a fight like this one seemed like a blow-out, even though the cards were close.

ASUcruz
August 17th, 2007, 05:56 PM
Conversely, a fight like this one seemed like a blow-out, even though the cards were close.

This is what I don't understand. 7-4 is pretty one sided, especially this fight where Hamed did nothing to ever threaten Barrera.

You originally said that Hamed deserved to win 4 rounds. Well he did, I'm not sure why your complaining. You even admit that Barrera's rounds were much more dominant.

I don't think anyone could define this fight as close. Hamed was thoroughly dominated. Sure he won a few rounds he was never in a position to win this bout.

Mondo Blando
August 17th, 2007, 06:03 PM
This is what I don't understand. 7-4 is pretty one sided, especially this fight where Hamed did nothing to ever threaten Barrera.

You originally said that Hamed deserved to win 4 rounds. Well he did, I'm not sure why your complaining. You even admit that Barrera's rounds were much more dominant.

I don't think anyone could define this fight as close. Hamed was thoroughly dominated. Sure he won a few rounds he was never in a position to win this bout.

Huh? I'm not complaining about anything. I think you are missing my point.

Barrera won 8 one-sided rounds, and Hamed won the other four, which were a lot closer (Barrera did very, very little in two of those rounds - they are easy to score for the prince). That makes it 116-112, and after you deduct that point from Barrera it makes it 115-112.

It wasn't a close fight in terms of action, but the scoring was a lot closer than one might think. 115-112 is just two rounds away from a Hamed victory...

ASUcruz
August 17th, 2007, 06:12 PM
It wasn't a close fight in terms of action, but the scoring was a lot closer than one might think. 115-112 is just two rounds away from a Hamed victory...

I don't think anyone can say it was a close fight though. Again Hamed was never going to win that fight. That's why, it wasn't a close fight to me. Sure it was close on the scorecards, but it was a one sided fight.

Again, you said Hamed should have gotten 4 of those rounds. He did get those 4, so why make that statement when he did get his 4.

Also, I was anxious to hear your response in our Mayweather-Hatton discussion. Was wondering why you never responded.

Mondo Blando
August 17th, 2007, 10:58 PM
I don't think anyone can say it was a close fight though. Again Hamed was never going to win that fight. That's why, it wasn't a close fight to me. Sure it was close on the scorecards, but it was a one sided fight.

Again, you said Hamed should have gotten 4 of those rounds. He did get those 4, so why make that statement when he did get his 4.

Also, I was anxious to hear your response in our Mayweather-Hatton discussion. Was wondering why you never responded.

I really have no idea why we are disagreeing. I'm stating Hamed "should of" and "did" receive four rounds to illustrate my point - Barrera, despite his dominating performance, was only 2 rounds away from losing that fight even though he was dominant.

As far as the Mayweather/Hatton tilt, I still like Hatton to win. Hatton's hand and foot speed will trouble Floyd, and Ricky will be able to outmuscle Mayweather in the clinches. I see Floyd breaking down from the pressure in the late rounds, and the fight will be on the table for Hatton to take the decision.

Mayweather may theoretically have the ability to pick Hatton apart, but Floyd won't be able to keep him off of him long enough to pile up the points. Hatton always fights to the level of his competition, and I love his enthusiasm. Mayweather hasn't been in the ring with a vicious body puncher for years, nor has he fought a high caliber of opponent (big names? yes.. in their prime? not at all). I'm picking Hatton to maul him out of his comfort zone, and win on points with a late surge.

I also like Pavlik over Taylor in a BIG way (KO in less than 6 rounds), and I'll take Moseley over Cotto by late KO.

ASUcruz
August 18th, 2007, 02:32 AM
As far as the Mayweather/Hatton tilt, I still like Hatton to win. Hatton's hand and foot speed will trouble Floyd, and Ricky will be able to outmuscle Mayweather in the clinches. I see Floyd breaking down from the pressure in the late rounds, and the fight will be on the table for Hatton to take the decision.

I'm still not sure where your getting Hatton's foot speed from. He was clearly out quicked and beaten to the punch by Luis Collazo. You said earlier that you think Collazo is faster than Mayweather at this point in their careers, which does not make much sense to me. Collazo was clearly slower than Mosley. There is no way Mosley is quicker than Mayweather, similar yea, but he is not quicker.

I'm not sure where you are seeing this foot speed and hand speed out of Hatton. The guy is a plodder. I can't think of one fight where he was faster than anybody. Maybe Tsyzu, but then even though Tsyzu is a hall of famer he was coming off a 13 month lay off. Clearly Tsyzu was not at his best. Plus Hatton is again moving up to 147 pounds, a weight he has not been very impressive at. Hatton should be stronger in the clinch, but he has to clinch with Mayweather first. I think this fight will look a lot like Mayweather-Baldomir.

Cup B4 I Die
August 18th, 2007, 12:10 PM

I was a big M.A. Barrera fan that night. That was fun to watch.

Cup B4 I Die
August 18th, 2007, 12:14 PM
I really have no idea why we are disagreeing. I'm stating Hamed "should of" and "did" receive four rounds to illustrate my point - Barrera, despite his dominating performance, was only 2 rounds away from losing that fight even though he was dominant.

Mayweather may theoretically have the ability to pick Hatton apart, but Floyd won't be able to keep him off of him long enough to pile up the points. Hatton always fights to the level of his competition, and I love his enthusiasm. Mayweather hasn't been in the ring with a vicious body puncher for years, nor has he fought a high caliber of opponent (big names? yes.. in their prime? not at all). I'm picking Hatton to maul him out of his comfort zone, and win on points with a late surge.

I also like Pavlik over Taylor in a BIG way (KO in less than 6 rounds), and I'll take Moseley over Cotto by late KO.

I think Moseley has the best shot to beat Lil Floyd if they ever fought. Hatton is going to have to be rough with Floyd to have a shot. I'm talking dirty tactics.. Not Tyson style, but clinching/holding-boderline illegal things to get Floyd off his game. If he doesn't do that, I don't think he has a shot. But i'll be rooting hard for Hatton.

Like you, I think Pavlik is going to shock the **it out of Taylor in the first couple of rounds. I don't think Taylor has ever fought anyone like Pavlik in his life. Props to Taylor for taking the fight though.

Rob2716
August 18th, 2007, 12:51 PM
I also think Mosley will have the best shot at beating Mayweather. He may not be quite as fast as Mayweather, but he's certainly faster than anyone Floyd has fought, and that's going to help Mosley land more often than other fighters. And while Mosley can certainly fight on the inside, he might have enough reach to also box effectively from the outside, which is something most of Mayweather's opponents couldn't do.

Anyway, I think most everyone outside of Mayweather's camp is going to be rooting for Hatton. I certainly will be, but Hatton will have to come out like an absolute monster in this fight. Can't stand Mayweather, but you have to give the guy credit for usually being in fantastic shape. He's going to run and he's not going to stop. Hatton might be a little quicker than most give him credit for, but I think his effectiveness is due more to relentlessness than anything else. That's usually enough to wear down his opponents (because he doesn't have one punch power), but he's going to have to take that relentlessness to another level. He's going to charge forward, and Mayweather will run and potshot him. He's going to have to get Mayweather into the ropes and corners somehow and work him over. He has to do all that AND hope that his face doesn't get all busted up from the shots Mayweather is going to land.

I hope Hatton can pull it off, but I think the cards are stacked against him.

UnderPressure
August 27th, 2007, 10:47 AM
Would've been great if Pac got a chance to fight Prince.

UnderPressure
September 20th, 2007, 11:18 AM
Holy ****.

Did you guys hear about de la Hoya's "controversial" pictures?

ASUcruz
September 20th, 2007, 01:06 PM
Holy ****.

Did you guys hear about de la Hoya's "controversial" pictures?

Yea, they looked photo shopped to me. Here judge them for yourself.

http://www.barstoolsports.com/randomthoughts/2007/09/19/oscar_hoya_ready_for_his/

Mondo Blando
September 25th, 2007, 06:31 PM
Pavlik is going to beat the hell out of Taylor in just a little while now...

Cup B4 I Die
September 26th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Can't wait for the fight on Saturday!! Been a while since there was a decent fight on HBO.

My Saturday schedule:
9:00 AM: Kings vs Ducks
12:30: Cal @ Oregon (college football)
5:00: USC @ Washington
7:15: Taylor VS Pavlik

Doesn't get much better than that.

PAVLIK BY TKO IN ROUND 11

ENJOY THE FIGHT EVERYONE (All 5 of you).

Mondo Blando
September 26th, 2007, 05:32 PM
I like Pavlik early - Taylor's staff has been dodging power for years now, and Pavlik is too accurate and heavy handed.

Cup B4 I Die
September 26th, 2007, 05:46 PM
I like Pavlik early - Taylor's staff has been dodging power for years now, and Pavlik is too accurate and heavy handed.

I agree that Taylor's staff has been ducking(boxing term)
heavy hitters for the last 3 years or so. Does he have the heart to comeback from a knockdown? We may find out on Saturday.

I think Taylor will be quick enough to avoid the big shots early and use his jab to keep Pavlik at distance for the first half of the fight. Later in the fight, Taylor will revert back to his style of going to the ropes, and this is where Pavlik is going to pounce. Late KO IMO.

The only way Taylor has a shot IMO, is to #1 stay off the ropes, and #2...Jab, Jab, Jab, Jab, Jab, hook, hook. He's got to put those combos together. He likes to admire his work too much, that won't work against someone like Pavlik. Pavlik will keep coming no matter how many times he's been hit. He's a mexcian fighter in a white guys body.

It would be great for boxing to have a champ like Pavlik. He seems like a good kid. Maybe, if he wins, he'll go up in class and fight the winner of Kessler/Calzaghe.

ASUcruz
September 26th, 2007, 06:03 PM
Who has Taylor ducked? I mean the guy fought Hopkins twice and then Winky. Not big time punchers but 2 of the toughest guys in the sport.

Who else at MW did you guys want him to fight? Ouma and Spinx were gimme fights but I don't blame the guy for taking a break after fighting 3 tough fights.

Miranda didn't deserve a fight with Taylor, not with his suspect resume. Calzaghe and Kessler don't want to fight in the states. Why should JT have to go to Europe? He has the straps.

I'm not a Taylor fan, but I don't see these serial "ducking" of power opponents that you guys are seeing.

Mondo Blando
September 26th, 2007, 06:11 PM
Who has Taylor ducked? I mean the guy fought Hopkins twice and then Winky. Not big time punchers but 2 of the toughest guys in the sport.

Who else at MW did you guys want him to fight? Ouma and Spinx were gimme fights but I don't blame the guy for taking a break after fighting 3 tough fights.

Miranda didn't deserve a fight with Taylor, not with his suspect resume. Calzaghe and Kessler don't want to fight in the states. Why should JT have to go to Europe? He has the straps.

I'm not a Taylor fan, but I don't see these serial "ducking" of power opponents that you guys are seeing.

I don't think he was ducking anyone, but he has only been in with a bunch of Jamie Moyer's over the last few years...

Taylor is just flat out terrible at controlling distance and establishing angles. He's a straight ahead jab-jab-jab-right cross fighter. He doesn't have the game to throw Pavlik's plodding style off-kilter. Pavlik will walk right through the jabs - he has a crafty, subtle defense, and he will land a ton of hard shots on Taylor.

I don't even think it will be close...

ASUcruz
September 26th, 2007, 06:22 PM
Taylor is just flat out terrible at controlling distance and establishing angles. He's a straight ahead jab-jab-jab-right cross fighter. He doesn't have the game to throw Pavlik's plodding style off-kilter. Pavlik will walk right through the jabs - he has a crafty, subtle defense, and he will land a ton of hard shots on Taylor.

I don't even think it will be close...

By that same token I think Pavilk will feel Taylor's power too. You say he has a craft and subtle defense. I didn't see any of that against Miranda. He took a bunch of shots but he has a great chin. Taylor was able to get through Winky's defense, probably the best in the world. I don't think he'll have any trouble hitting Pavlik.

I think it'll be a close fight. Everyone seems to be on Pavlik's jock because of one fight. He looked great against Edson Miranda, but let's face it, Miranda was not top of the food chain or anything.

Mondo Blando
September 26th, 2007, 06:37 PM
By that same token I think Pavilk will feel Taylor's power too. You say he has a craft and subtle defense. I didn't see any of that against Miranda. He took a bunch of shots but he has a great chin. Taylor was able to get through Winky's defense, probably the best in the world. I don't think he'll have any trouble hitting Pavlik.

I think it'll be a close fight. Everyone seems to be on Pavlik's jock because of one fight. He looked great against Edson Miranda, but let's face it, Miranda was not top of the food chain or anything.

I've seen a good 12-15 of Pavlik's fights, and he DOES have a solid defense - he didn't start getting hit by Miranda until later in that fight, when Pavlik had already softened him up. He was trying to get Miranda to exchange with him so he could finish him off, which is exactly what happened. Miranda didn't land dick in the first three rounds of that fight.

Pavlik is a craftsman, where as Taylor is just an outstanding athlete with little real boxing skills. He got the good end of two lousy decisions against Hopkins (I had both fights scored 116-112 for Hopkins), he clearly lost to Wright, and I even had lowly Spinks eeking out a victory.

Winky Wright's defense is highly overrated - there is no skill there - it is just a shield he throws up. Any fighter could plant there elbows on their hips and velco their gloves to their temples if they choose, but becasue Winky's willing to stink out the house night after night, he deserves praise for his defense? Not from me...

Taylor has a very good right hand, but if he decides to try and trade with Pavlik, I don't think he has a chance at all. I also don't think Taylor has the mental prowess to develop and stick to an effective game plan either.

ASUcruz
September 26th, 2007, 07:19 PM
Pavlik is a craftsman, where as Taylor is just an outstanding athlete with little real boxing skills. He got the good end of two lousy decisions against Hopkins (I had both fights scored 116-112 for Hopkins), he clearly lost to Wright, and I even had lowly Spinks eeking out a victory.

Are you serious? What fight were you watching that night? Spinks probably averaged 10 punches per round that entire fight.

Mondo Blando
September 29th, 2007, 10:53 PM
My observations:

Pretty much exactly what I expected, though I never thought Taylor would land clean enough to catch Pavlik as hard as he did in the second round. Pavlik uncharacteristically put his hands down, and he got caught hard.

That was actually the turning point - Taylor is not a "real" fighter - he doesn't have the mentality to deal with adversity - with the exception of half of the fifth round, Taylor was completely lost from the moment Pavlik got up of the canvas. He has no natural boxing instincts.

Pavlik is a beast - he puts his head down and goes to work. He's all substance, and no style, which is something clearly lacking in boxing at this period in time. A Pavlik-Calzaghe fight would be spectacular. Grit and power versus grit and speed...

One last point - I thought this was an exceptionally easy fight to score. I had Pavlik up by one point heading into the seventh, clearly winning rounds 1, 3, 4 and 6. Taylor deserved the 10-8, or I would argue 10-7, scoring in the 2nd round. I also thought he jabbed his way to winning round 5.

How in the hell the judges had Taylor up 59-54 and 58-55 is completely beyond me. Taylor receives more phantom rounds than any boxer in recent memory.

I bet Steward is fired within the month. He's gonna take the fall for Taylor, as most mentally weak fighters always blame their trainers after their first loss. It ain't Manny's fault...

SystemOfACrown
September 30th, 2007, 06:40 PM
Finally the HBO paper champion gets a loss on his record. Jermaine Taylor won a championship and got worse every time he went out there to fight and somehow managed to win all those decisions. The emperor has no clothes and no championship belt.

As far as Emanuel Steward goes...I have not been too impressed with his fighters lately. I keep having flashbacks of the Steward trained, Vivian Harris, getting his ass handed to him by Carlos Maussa because of that idiotic plan of attack in which Harris was drained after trying to knock Maussa's head off in the opening rounds.

ASUcruz
September 30th, 2007, 07:10 PM
First off, we should acknowledge that this was a damn good fight. A great way to kick off this stacked fall/winter lineup of fights.

I think it's pretty ironic that this was the best Jermain Taylor has looked pretty much ever and he lost. I thought he looked vastly improved, he was hooking off his jab and even throwing to the body. Like Bland mentioned, Jermain was a 1-2 combo right. Jab, cross, and that was it. In this fight he did have the hook going for him and he did throw some lead rights. Like the HBO guys mentioned, Pavlik was the first conventional fighter JT has faced in awhile. Of course he was going to hit him fairly accurately. Pavlik is a tough hombre though.

I wouldn't say he has zero boxing instincts. He made a conscious effort to stay off the ropes and to try and keep the fight in the middle of the ring. Pavlik though just put so much pressure on him that he eventually would get backed up against the ropes.

Pavlik though, he's got bricks in his hands. You could tell that he was slowly finding his range with the right hand and his jab was landing consistently. Taylor has a pretty good chin but he wasn't going to last, he got hit way too often.

All in all a great fight. Andre Berto had a solid outing as well. Look for him in the future. Still very young, I hope they continue to build him up slowly.

ASUcruz
September 30th, 2007, 07:17 PM
Pavlik is a beast - he puts his head down and goes to work. He's all substance, and no style, which is something clearly lacking in boxing at this period in time. A Pavlik-Calzaghe fight would be spectacular. Grit and power versus grit and speed...

Don't hold your breath on Calzaghe-Pavlik. Of course it would make for a great fight but Taylor had a rematch clause in the fight contract, and by all accounts he intends to use it.

Taylor, 29, said he planned to take advantage of the rematch clause.

"I lost the championship. So now it's all about going back to gym and regrouping," he said. "I would like to fight him again my very next fight."

That's from Dan Rafael's story from the fight.

Not to mention Calzaghe has to get by Mikael Kessler in November, which will be a great fight. Plus, Calzaghe has never been that anxious to come to the States to fight(a real shame). And I'm not sure if Pavlik would be willing to go to Wales to fight. We'll see what happens, but those 2 fighting each other, probably wouldn't happen till at least the summer if not later.

ASUcruz
September 30th, 2007, 07:22 PM
As far as Emanuel Steward goes...I have not been too impressed with his fighters lately. I keep having flashbacks of the Steward trained, Vivian Harris, getting his ass handed to him by Carlos Maussa because of that idiotic plan of attack in which Harris was drained after trying to knock Maussa's head off in the opening rounds.

Hmmm, I don't know about that. I thought Taylor looked much improved and I don't know if you could blame Steward for Vivian Harris for being an idiot.

I remember, Harris talking all kinds of trash going into that fight because he wanted to fight Floyd Mayweather Jr.(the fight was on the undercard of the Floyd-Gatti fight). So he came out guns blazing in that fight trying to look impressive and he gassed. So basically, I chalked that fight up to Harris being an idiot.

I think Steward's track record speaks for himself. He's pretty much built Wladmir into a damn good fighter. Although he got rocked and put on his ass a few times by Samuel Peter he did have the correct gameplan(clinch in close and tough Peter up from the outside). Steward is a damn good trainer, it helps to have a guy like him in the corner but the cornerman can only do so much.

ASUcruz
September 30th, 2007, 08:19 PM
Alright, quick turnaround as far as the fights go. This weekend, Pacquiao-Barrera II.

It's HBO PPV, but whoever thinks this fight isn't worth the price is a retard. A lot of people are thinking it'll be an "easy" fight for Pac but I think it'll be anything but.

Matchup wise everything favors Pacquiao, that's a given. But it's hard to count out Barrera only because he's been counted out so many times and he's shown that he's not done yet. A good example is the Rocky Juarez fights. In the first one, Barrera looked fairly old and looked like he was close to being done. He grinded out a win based pretty much on guile and of course that vicious body attack. But in the second fight, a lot of people though Juarez(a big time puncher) would win. And of course Barrera schooled him in the second fight.

A similar situation could be happening here, Barrera didn't look great against JMM. So a lot of people are counting him out.

Just to be clear, I don't think Barrera has a great chance of winning but I think he'll be a game fighter. He'll probably last longer than Morales, but if Pacquiao is on his game, let's be honest. He can beat damn near everyone in that division.

Basically the only thing that can stop Pacquiao against Barrera is if he throws in a bad night. Obviously there's drama surrounding his camp, he showed up late to the states, then flew back to Cebu with Roach following him. Roach as always said though that when Pac goes to work he's a machine. I'm nervous because he could be taking this fight lightly, but I think Roach will keep him in the right state of mind and he's so damn talented.

All in all it should be a great fight. Pacquiao versus anybody is a must see fight and against a legend like Barrera it is 100% must see.

SystemOfACrown
September 30th, 2007, 10:19 PM
Actually you can blame Steward for that loss to Carlos Maussa when he himself admitted not giving any direction to Vivian Harris other than telling him that Maussa's awkward body movements make him look like he's getting hurt when he really isn't, during the fight.

As far as your assessment of the Manny/Barrera fight you couldn't be more right. These are the types of fights that can go down as the best ones. One guy is seem as shot and the other can't be beat...

They always say that at the late stages of a boxer's career they have that one last great fight...let's hope this is Barrera's and both of these guys can show us why boxing attracts so many of us to its web.

ASUcruz
September 30th, 2007, 10:32 PM
Actually you can blame Steward for that loss to Carlos Maussa when he himself admitted not giving any direction to Vivian Harris other than telling him that Maussa's awkward body movements make him look like he's getting hurt when he really isn't, during the fight.

Eh, not much Manny can do when his fighter fights like an idiot and punches himself out. Maussa was hurt early on in that fight. Harris was just too damn eager because he wanted to show how awesome he was.

They always say that at the late stages of a boxer's career they have that one last great fight...let's hope this is Barrera's and both of these guys can show us why boxing attracts so many of us to its web.

Yea, I mean I'll never count out Barrera, but if Pac fights his own fight, no matter how perfect Barrera is he'll lose. It's just a bad match up for him. I may be a bit biased but Pacquaio is a bad matchup for damn near everyone at 130. 2 guys have had success against Pacquaio, Morales who then got knocked out twice and JMM. And Juan Manual a tough and technical fighter got put on his ass 4 times in the first round. He did a great job of coming back and getting a draw but that's wild isn't it? One of the guys who has had success against Pac got knocked down 4 times in that fight. I mean think about that for a second!

I don't see how Barrera can emulate either of those guy's gameplans. Morales used his size as well as a very good jab to beat Pac that night. And Barrera won't be the bigger guy and I don't think his jab is as good as Morales' . Maybe he can copy the blueprint that JMM made but I'm not sure Barrera is that disciplined to fight that kind of fight.

It'll be fun to watch though. No doubt.

Cup B4 I Die
October 1st, 2007, 12:17 PM
Pavlik/Taylor fight was awsome. Why do I feel that fight was more exciting than any MMA fight i've seen over the past year? I watched the last two MMA PPV programs, and found myself yawning throughout. Not saying boxing is 'better' than MMA, or MMA is a bunch of guys rolling around on the ground. I just feel that a great fight like Taylor/Pavlik is 10 times more exciting than a good MMA fight. Maybe I need to watch more MMA to fully grasp what the hype is all about.

If only Boxing could market itself better, maybe some of the MMA fans will start watching Boxing more often.

As far as the fight goes, Taylor doesn't use his foot speed at all!!! The guy stands right in front of a huge puncher, not a recipe for success IMO. The HBO announcers spoke about Taylor's flat footed style of fighting. I feel like this is a huge reason why he lost this fight. He needs to be on his toes and needs move more. He has NO head movement whatsoever.

I don't think Taylor should come back right away to fight Pavlik. I feel it'll be the same outcome if he does fight Pavlik early in 2008. He needs to swallow his pride and fight a couple 'cupcakes' in order to fine-tune his craft (mainly his defensive skills) and his conditioning.

As far as Pavlik goes, he should a lot of heart by coming back after round#2. Love to see him fight the winner of Kessler/Calzaghe before Taylor. We'll see.

SystemOfACrown
October 1st, 2007, 05:22 PM
Here comes the old MMA vs Boxing debate...I knew it would hit our wonderful boxing thread sooner or later...Thanks Cupster haha

I love both MMA and Boxing but if I have a choice to make between those two I'd take boxing. The romantic history of boxing sets it apart from almost anything else. Its Cinderella stories of coming from nothing and becoming a world champion inspire and gives us hope. There are very few live events that can rival a championship boxing match.

Sure boxing has its problems (like too many damn organizations) but it still delivers.

Cup B4 I Die
October 1st, 2007, 06:03 PM
Here comes the old MMA vs Boxing debate...I knew it would hit our wonderful boxing thread sooner or later...Thanks Cupster haha

I love both MMA and Boxing but if I have a choice to make between those two I'd take boxing. The romantic history of boxing sets it apart from almost anything else. Its Cinderella stories of coming from nothing and becoming a world champion inspire and gives us hope. There are very few live events that can rival a championship boxing match.

Sure boxing has its problems (like too many damn organizations) but it still delivers.

Yah, I don't want to start some huge argument between which is better. I'm totally open to enjoying both of them. I'm trying to give MMA a fair shot. Maybe my friends who are trying to convert me to MMA, hyped it up too much. I have a ton of respect for those guys, but I just don't find it that exciting. Maybe my feelings will change when I get to see more MMA fights, maybe not.

I've been to several live championship boxing events in Vegas, and there is nothing like it.

You're right about the history of the sport as well. Nothing like it.

ASUcruz
October 2nd, 2007, 01:55 AM
You guys have probably noticed that I'm active in the MMA thread and this one.

I love both sports and I'm not a big fan of arguing over which one is "better". I think both sports are two completely different animals. No reason to compare the 2. Both of them can co-exist I think.

Hipcheck
October 2nd, 2007, 04:01 PM
I like both as well but Boxing makes it very hard to watch fights regularly with no set time and very little exposure. From this perspective MMA is really cleaning boxings clock and pulling away some of boxing audience.

Its funny that the boxing I do see is always by chance and generally not a 1/2 bad match but when they do all the hype and hoopla for big fights they always leave me disappointed.

ASUcruz
October 2nd, 2007, 04:19 PM
I like both as well but Boxing makes it very hard to watch fights regularly with no set time and very little exposure. From this perspective MMA is really cleaning boxings clock and pulling away some of boxing audience.

MMA or rather the UFC has a tremendous advantage in terms of being organized.

Every month there's a PPV and lately they have been very good cards. With boxing 4-5 months might pass before there is another "big" fight.

Sure MMA is getting fans from the boxing audience but I don't think those fans are leaving boxing completely.

I think the UFC is really killing the WWE fan base personally.

UnderPressure
October 6th, 2007, 10:08 AM
Barrera-Pacquiao 2 is tonight!

ASUcruz
October 6th, 2007, 10:44 PM
And Barrera's career goes out in a whimper.

At least Morales had the balls to go down swinging.

UnderPressure
October 6th, 2007, 10:58 PM
I didn't watch the fight, but I heard Barrera headbutted Pac. Morales will always be the true warrior.

ASUcruz
October 6th, 2007, 11:29 PM
I didn't watch the fight, but I heard Barrera headbutted Pac. Morales will always be the true warrior.

Didn't watch the fight? You might have been the only Filipino that didn't see it!

No head butt, but in the 11th, Pac was strafing Barrera and Barrera clinched. On the break, Barrera threw a big time right that landed. Pretty lame.

UnderPressure
October 6th, 2007, 11:33 PM
Didn't watch the fight? You might have been the only Filipino that didn't see it!

No head butt, but in the 11th, Pac was strafing Barrera and Barrera clinched. On the break, Barrera threw a big time right that landed. Pretty lame.

If I only knew the Kings were gonna lose tonight, I would've definitely paid 50 bucks to see it.

UnderPressure
October 8th, 2007, 05:37 PM
ASU, he had a HUGE chance to send MAB to the hospital in the 12th round. It's in the 2:25 mark.

YouTube - Pacquiao vs Barrera : Will to Win Oct 7, 2007 (Round 12)

I guess Manny just has too much respect for a HOF fighter.

ASUcruz
October 8th, 2007, 05:49 PM
2:25 of the youtube clip or of the 12th round? I watched both and have no clue what your talking about.

UnderPressure
October 8th, 2007, 05:53 PM
2:25 of the youtube clip or of the 12th round? I watched both and have no clue what your talking about.

I notice that the time goes backwards when the video is directly on LGK.

I'll just say 1:25 of round 12.

Cup B4 I Die
October 8th, 2007, 06:01 PM
MMA or rather the UFC has a tremendous advantage in terms of being organized.

Every month there's a PPV and lately they have been very good cards. With boxing 4-5 months might pass before there is another "big" fight.

Sure MMA is getting fans from the boxing audience but I don't think those fans are leaving boxing completely.

I think the UFC is really killing the WWE fan base personally.

I agree 100% about boxing's lack of organization. Having ONE championship belt for each weight class would be a good place to start with improving boxing as a sport.

Winning a belt almost means nothing to these fighters. It's all about the money and making the biggest possible fight, with the biggest possible payday. Right after Pavlik won, everyone started talking about Pavlik moving up in weight to fight the winner of Calzaghe/Kessler.

Roy Jones vs Trinidad is a perfect example of what's wrong with boxing.

ASUcruz
October 8th, 2007, 10:46 PM
That part of the fight might epitomize the entire fight. Pac showed way too much respect for Barrera. If he pushed the pace earlier I think he could have taken Barrera out much earlier.

UnderPressure
October 10th, 2007, 12:13 AM
Saw Manny in the airport today. ****, I forgot to bring my cellphone.

Cup B4 I Die
October 29th, 2007, 08:36 PM
Anyone else think that Kessler has one hell of a shot this Saturday vs Calzaghe?

I'm actually thinking about putting some $ on it.

Is the fight in Wales?

ASUcruz
October 29th, 2007, 10:49 PM
Anyone else think that Kessler has one hell of a shot this Saturday vs Calzaghe?

I'm actually thinking about putting some $ on it.

Is the fight in Wales?

Kessler has a great chance to win. He's a slight underdog right now. I've already put money on him.

The fight is in Cardiff but I don't think Kessler will be fazed.

Cup B4 I Die
November 1st, 2007, 01:42 PM
Just put 50.00$ on Kessler.

If my calculations are correct, the fight will be aired live from Wales @ 2:00 AM in the morning (6 PM PST). Is this correct?

Does anyone know if the Marquez/Juarez fight is on PPV? Or showtime?

ASUcruz
November 1st, 2007, 02:08 PM
Just put 50.00$ on Kessler.

If my calculations are correct, the fight will be aired live from Wales @ 2:00 AM in the morning (6 PM PST). Is this correct?

Does anyone know if the Marquez/Juarez fight is on PPV? Or showtime?

Yea, 6 AM for us. I'm going to try and wake up but I have it set on my DVR. ALso I'm sure HBO will replay it later on at night.

Marquez-Juarez is on showtime. No way they could sell this as a PPV since it was rescheduled and the opponent changed. Should be a good night of boxing, but I think Juarez will get schooled. He has the tools but no heart.

Cup B4 I Die
November 1st, 2007, 03:36 PM
Yea, 6 AM for us. I'm going to try and wake up but I have it set on my DVR. ALso I'm sure HBO will replay it later on at night.

Marquez-Juarez is on showtime. No way they could sell this as a PPV since it was rescheduled and the opponent changed. Should be a good night of boxing, but I think Juarez will get schooled. He has the tools but no heart.

http://www.hbo.com/boxing/

I think you meant 6PM, per the HBO link above. It says it's live, so that would put it at 2AM in Cardiff.

ASUcruz
November 2nd, 2007, 03:46 PM
http://www.hbo.com/boxing/

I think you meant 6PM, per the HBO link above. It says it's live, so that would put it at 2AM in Cardiff.

Ah yea, thank god they accommodated us Americans. I did not want to wake up early to watch that fight. Actually I'll probably be up watching soccer but yea it's better that it's at 6.

Cup B4 I Die
November 4th, 2007, 11:49 AM
Kessler vs Calzaghe was a very entertaining fight. I think that Kessler would do better in a re-match. If he threw a little bit more last night, I feel he could have nullified a lot of Calzaghe's attack. Kessler seemed to be looking for the perfect shot, rather than trusting his natural ability to throw and get out of the way. He showed that early in the fight, and again in the 12th round. Great atmosphere for boxing though, that would have been a fun fight to attend. Boxing needs more events like that one.

Anyone watch the Juarez/Marquez fight? I did not see it.

I wish Mayweather vs Hatton was in England, they could draw 60,000+ at a soccer stadium for that fight. MGM Garden Arena only holds around 18,000. I wonder why Cesars Palace doesn't host any fights in their outdoor stadium anymore. This fight would be perfect for it.

Rob2716
November 8th, 2007, 08:33 AM
Okay, people... big fight this weekend. Shane Mosley vs Miguel Cotto in New York. Cotto will get the majority of the crowd support, but I'm having a hard time believing this fight will go the distance.

I'd say that Shane, in his prime, would take care of Cotto. I'm still picking Shane, but the age difference is a concern. Cotto has shown that he can get hit, but he eventually wears down his opponent with his relentlessness. If Cotto can take the fight into the late rounds, I think he has a chance. However, he's going to take a bunch of shots in doing that. Mosley won't run and will even brawl, at times. Cotto will push the pace, as he always does, but I think the key will be the body work that Mosley puts into each round. Shane has a brutal body attack, and if he can get that off against Cotto, I think it will make the fight easier for him and possibly offset any fatigue in the late rounds. Should be one hell of a fight. If I wasn't already spending a bunch of money this weekend, I'd skip the Kings game to watch this fight.

Go Shane!! Pomona High School representin'!!

UnderPressure
November 17th, 2007, 09:57 PM
Guzman-Soto is on right now on HBO.

Crazy_Ivan
November 23rd, 2007, 10:50 AM
Better than Ali? Is he brain dead or virtually brain dead?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/7109353.stm

UnderPressure
November 24th, 2007, 12:20 PM
He's still young, taking the Ponce de Leon fight was a huge huge mistake. He should have been brought along a lot more slowly. He still has a future, but he's going to have to learn some defense or at least some head movement.

Getting back to this. I really hope they don't rush Bernabe Concepcion like they did to Boom-boom.

ASUcruz
November 29th, 2007, 01:00 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=3133494

Pac-Man to fight JMM in March.

Whoever wins this fight is the king of the 130 LBS weight class.

Cup B4 I Die
December 6th, 2007, 01:05 PM
Anyone watching the Hatton/Mayweather 24/7 on HBO??

I hope Hatton pulls of the upset. Doubt it'll happen, but one can hope. I just hope Mayweather doesn't spend the entire fight running away. I will be a sucker and purchase the fight. Just an excuse to have a party.

ASUcruz
December 7th, 2007, 06:58 AM
Anyone watching the Hatton/Mayweather 24/7 on HBO??

I hope Hatton pulls of the upset. Doubt it'll happen, but one can hope. I just hope Mayweather doesn't spend the entire fight running away. I will be a sucker and purchase the fight. Just an excuse to have a party.

24/7 has been great. The Mayweather stuff is more of the same, but Hatton is great. I like it better than the first one only because Oscar was so boring.

Anyways HBO does a great job with their sports stuff, especially boxing. I'd love to see what they could do with a big MMA fight.

Regarding the fight, I really don't think Hatton has a shot. I hope he makes it a fight, Hatton will come forward and his will won't be broken. But I don't think he's fast enough to catch Floyd who will be in and out all night long. And I don't think his hands are fast enough to be first against PBF. I'm predicting Floyd in a 12 round lop sided decision, BUT let's hope Hatton catches him early and makes things interesting.

Mondo Blando
December 8th, 2007, 01:24 PM
Hatton will win a close disputed decison. His pressure and mauling will wear Mayweather down over the course of the mid rounds, though I expect Floyd to pop shot his way to an impressive early lead.

Floyd will hurt his hands again on an inmovable Hatton, and his output will slow down as Hatton's increases. This fight will be at a faster pace than Mayweather would like, and I see him folding as it goes on.

ASUcruz
December 9th, 2007, 01:26 AM
Domination, complete domination. Mayweather totally exposed Hatton for what he was tonight. An unskilled fighter who was just plain outclassed against a pure boxer. Roughhouse tactics from both guys early, but the cream rose to top as the fight went on. Mayweather landed every lead right he wanted, and was much better on the inside that Hatton.

I gave Hatton a round in that fight, Howard Lederman is an idiot for thinking that fight was close. Mayweather absolutley dominated him.

lath19
December 9th, 2007, 10:23 AM
Domination, complete domination. Mayweather totally exposed Hatton for what he was tonight. An unskilled fighter who was just plain outclassed against a pure boxer. Roughhouse tactics from both guys early, but the cream rose to top as the fight went on. Mayweather landed every lead right he wanted, and was much better on the inside that Hatton.

I gave Hatton a round in that fight, Howard Lederman is an idiot for thinking that fight was close. Mayweather absolutley dominated him.

It was a really entertaining fight. The best big fight I've seen in a while.

That's how I saw it Cruz. Some of the Hatton fans I was watching the fight with were saying the same things Lederman did. Crazy talk. Floyd is a boxer, Hatten is a puncher. Watching Pretty Boy connect power shot after power shot was a thing of beauty. It wasn't even close.

USA! USA! USA! Ha, thats what those Brits get for booing during our national anthem.

Mondo Blando
December 9th, 2007, 03:55 PM
I couldn't have been more wrong...

Crazy_Ivan
December 9th, 2007, 04:17 PM
Not Brits, they were English, its a English speciality to boo other nations anthems, thankfully for the most it comes back to bite them.

SystemOfACrown
December 9th, 2007, 10:11 PM
Floyd showed me how great he really is putting down Hatton the way he did.
The only reason the Hatton vs Mayweather fight seemed so great was because the undercard was terrible. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!

Mateo
December 10th, 2007, 07:16 AM
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Gallery/2007/12/08/NVJC132_APTOPIX_Mayweat2.jpg
Face, meet Glove.

seraphim
December 10th, 2007, 09:34 AM
Pretty good fight. Worth the 50 bucks.

-_Sf

moose
December 18th, 2007, 06:45 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=3133494

Pac-Man to fight JMM in March.

Whoever wins this fight is the king of the 130 LBS weight class.

No problem... Pac Man just stay away from the Lumpia............................

Cup B4 I Die
January 17th, 2008, 07:08 PM
So it looks like Mayweather and De Lay Hoya are going to have a re-match in 08'.

What other matchups would you like to see in 08'?

Calzaghe vs Pavlik.... This tops my list.
Pac-man vs Marquez in March should be great
Cotto vs Mayweather (one can dream)
Cotto vs Paul Williams

ASUcruz
January 23rd, 2008, 07:31 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=3209744

Finally, Calzaghe crosses the Atlantic for a big fight. I've never been a big Hopkins fan but I'll be rooting for the American in this fight.

Wile E.
February 9th, 2008, 11:00 PM
So it looks like Mayweather and De Lay Hoya are going to have a re-match in 08'.

What other matchups would you like to see in 08'?

Calzaghe vs Pavlik.... This tops my list.
Pac-man vs Marquez in March should be great
Cotto vs Mayweather (one can dream)
Cotto vs Paul Williams

So much for the Cotto vs Williams matchup. Quintana beat up Willliams pretty easily tonight. I thought Quintana dominated the early and late rounds, with the exception of the 12th. A little surprised Williams didnt use his jab more. Entertaining fight though.

ASUcruz
March 2nd, 2008, 12:54 AM
Just watched the Vasquez-Marquez fight on DVR.

One of the best fights I've ever seen. Really could have gone either way but that last knockdown put Izzy over the top. I can't get over how awesome this fight was, both guys showed tremendous amounts of heart, guts, and toughness. I hope guys like Wladmir Klitchko, Oscar De La Hoya, and others saw these 2 warriors fight. That's what boxing is all about.

Cup B4 I Die
March 12th, 2008, 04:02 PM
Pacquio vs JM Marquez on Saturday!! Anyone care to comment?

I wouldn't be surprised to see Marquez win by decision.

Mondo Blando
March 13th, 2008, 01:09 AM
I thought Marquez beat Pacquiao the first time around, and I wouldn't be shocked to see it happen again

ASUcruz
March 13th, 2008, 01:22 AM
I thought Marquez beat Pacquiao the first time around, and I wouldn't be shocked to see it happen again

Eh, if not for a judging error, the fight is a win for Pacman and not a Draw. Judges got KO happy in the first round and I think they expected Pacquiao to finish him after that. When he didn't, Marquez basically got extra credit and I think he won rounds he didn't really deserve.

The fight should be 50/50 though, I don't know why people are say ing they would be "shocked" or "surprised" to see Marquez win. It's about as even a fight as there is.

Mondo Blando
March 13th, 2008, 01:36 AM
Eh, if not for a judging error, the fight is a win for Pacman and not a Draw. Judges got KO happy in the first round and I think they expected Pacquiao to finish him after that. When he didn't, Marquez basically got extra credit and I think he won rounds he didn't really deserve.

The fight should be 50/50 though, I don't know why people are say ing they would be "shocked" or "surprised" to see Marquez win. It's about as even a fight as there is.

I've watched that fight maybe 5-6 times, and I only gave Pacquaio 3 rounds in the fight each time, including the 10-6 1st round. 114-111 Marquez IMO

ASUcruz
March 13th, 2008, 10:17 AM
I've watched that fight maybe 5-6 times, and I only gave Pacquaio 3 rounds in the fight each time, including the 10-6 1st round. 114-111 Marquez IMO

That's great and all but I'm still not sure why people are saying they wouldn't be "shocked" or "surprised" to see Marquez win. People seem to think Pac is this overwhelming favorite, which he's not

seraphim
March 13th, 2008, 03:22 PM
That's great and all but I'm still not sure why people are saying they wouldn't be "shocked" or "surprised" to see Marquez win. People seem to think Pac is this overwhelming favorite, which he's not

Because he got knocked down 3 times in the first round of their first fight. I saw the fight, and a draw, in my opinion, was a very good decision.

Unfortunately, since Pac didn't knock out Marquez I'm not that interested in Pac anymore. If he couldn't take out the weakest of the three Mexicans(at the time) then is he really as big of a puncher as he says he is?

-_Sf

MAB!

ASUcruz
March 13th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Because he got knocked down 3 times in the first round of their first fight. I saw the fight, and a draw, in my opinion, was a very good decision.

Well boxing fans know that styles make fights and this is the toughest matchup stylistically for Pacquiao.

Unfortunately, since Pac didn't knock out Marquez I'm not that interested in Pac anymore. If he couldn't take out the weakest of the three Mexicans(at the time) then is he really as big of a puncher as he says he is?

Uh, yes he is as big a puncher as people say he is seeing as how he absolutely tooled Barrera, completely embarrased him. Barrera was looking for a way out after round 3.

Plus knocked out Morales twice who NO ONE not even your boy Barrera had ever knocked out. Barrera couldn't even knock him down legitimately.

Basically your a complete and utter retard if you think "Pacquaio isn't a big puncher".

UnderPressure
March 16th, 2008, 11:45 AM
This made the difference.

http://www.photopile.com/photos/dantzu/auctions/307706.gif

ASUcruz
March 16th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Unsung hero of the night. Manny's cutman, when his eye got cut in the 8th and Marquez took advantage it looked like Marquez would gain control of the fight. But the cutman did a superb job and it didn't really affect after that round. He really earned his paycheck tonight.

gescom
March 16th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Just watched the Vasquez-Marquez fight on DVR.

One of the best fights I've ever seen. Really could have gone either way but that last knockdown put Izzy over the top. I can't get over how awesome this fight was, both guys showed tremendous amounts of heart, guts, and toughness. I hope guys like Wladmir Klitchko, Oscar De La Hoya, and others saw these 2 warriors fight. That's what boxing is all about.

oh man... i even got Kat into THAT one!

UnderPressure
March 18th, 2008, 09:08 PM
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c217/natas206/end3rd.gif

Mr. Irreverent
May 3rd, 2008, 08:43 PM
De La Hoya vs Forbes anyone????

I say DLH victory in Rd. 5.

ASUcruz
May 3rd, 2008, 08:45 PM
This fight sucks. Just a showcase for De La Hoya. I hope he loses but he won't.

Mr. Irreverent
May 3rd, 2008, 08:52 PM
This fight sucks. Just a showcase for De La Hoya. I hope he loses but he won't.

Yeah, real boxing aficionados don't really care about this one but at the same time there's nothing else on TV...

SystemOfACrown
July 25th, 2008, 06:17 PM
Margarito vs Cotto

Who do you guys have winning?

I take Margarito in the 10th. Margarito can not afford to let this go
to the judges in a close one because I doubt he gets the win.

ASUcruz
August 28th, 2008, 09:39 AM
ESPN - Sources: De La Hoya, Pacquiao agree to Dec. 6 fight in Vegas - Boxing (http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=3555960)

Wile E.
August 28th, 2008, 01:21 PM
ESPN - Sources: De La Hoya, Pacquiao agree to Dec. 6 fight in Vegas - Boxing (http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=3555960)

Should be a good fight, my early prediction is DLH by split decision.

Hockey53
August 28th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Should be a good fight, my early prediction is DLH by split decision.
Maybe a split decision as an outgoing retirement present for De La Hoya. Having seen Pacquiao fights vs. Marquez and his other fights,he will give Oscar a real tough fight nd could end up winning the fight by the 8th round. :boxing:

ASUcruz
August 28th, 2008, 02:55 PM
It's a no lose situation for Pacquaio but it is a joke that De La Hoya wanted this fight.

Cup B4 I Die
December 5th, 2008, 05:29 PM
Thought i'd dig this thread out of LGK.com obscurity.

Rooting for Manny this weekend, i'm really tired of Oscar's act. Especially the blaming of his trainers for his past losses. Man up Oscar!! He's a great fighter, but I can do without the bitching.

That being said, unless Manny hurts De La Hoya (don't see it happening), I think we'll see a De La Hoya 12 rd decision victory.

Really looking forward to watching Hatton fight the winner, possibly in front of 70,000 fans in London. What a boost that would be for the sport.

ASUcruz
December 6th, 2008, 09:58 PM
**** yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

33isgod
December 6th, 2008, 10:16 PM
Maybe a split decision as an outgoing retirement present for De La Hoya. Having seen Pacquiao fights vs. Marquez and his other fights,he will give Oscar a real tough fight nd could end up winning the fight by the 8th round. :boxing:

On the money prediction. Nice. That was complete domination and what a shame for De La Hoya to go out that way.

Hockey53
December 7th, 2008, 12:28 PM
A Pacquiao/Hatton fight should be a war of the last man standing.33isgod,I forgot I had written that back in August. Too bad I didn't put any money down, but oh well. As for De La Hoya, I think he will have atleast one more fight and then retire. I have been a fan of his for many years and he has just gotten past his prime to fight someone like Pacquiao. Maybe a Shane Mosley(sp)fight will be his last.

Cup B4 I Die
December 11th, 2008, 12:48 PM
anyone planning on attending the Margarito/Mosley fight at Staples? 50.00$ seats are available, so I'm considering it. It should be an entertaining fight.

ASUcruz
December 15th, 2008, 06:14 PM
A Pacquiao/Hatton fight should be a war of the last man standing.

I don't really see it that way. Hatton has improved his technical ability since hiring Floyd Sr. as was evident in the Malignaggi fight but any fighter with fast hands and quick is going to give him trouble (see Luis Collazo). I think Hatton would just get exposed again if/when he fights Pacquiao. He's just not a good fighter. He is tough and he knows his strengths but any quality fighter beats him up.

for De La Hoya, I think he will have atleast one more fight and then retire. I have been a fan of his for many years and he has just gotten past his prime to fight someone like Pacquiao.

I don't think its a good idea for De La Hoya to fight again. I guess if he picks a guy like Steve Forbes a smaller guy with zero power he'd be alright but what would the point of that be? He just should go away and focus on his company.

Maybe a Shane Mosley(sp)fight will be his last.

I don't see that fight happening. They are business partners so does the public really want to see them fight? Not to mention the fact that Mosley has beaten him twice, both were close, especially the second fight but I still think Mosley won. Again, there doesn't seem to be any point in making that fight, Oscar needs to quit.

Cup B4 I Die
January 12th, 2009, 04:08 PM
I got 4 tickets to the Mosley/Margarito fight at Staples. I'm hoping Shane has one last great fight in him. It's not going to be easy. Anyone else going? Anyone know who's fighting on the undercard?

Hockey53
January 14th, 2009, 10:40 AM
I got 4 tickets to the Mosley/Margarito fight at Staples. I'm hoping Shane has one last great fight in him. It's not going to be easy. Anyone else going? Anyone know who's fighting on the undercard?We won't be going,but I think it will go the distance and Margarito will end up winning. I would also like Mosley to win,but I believe that Margarito will be too much for Mosley to handle. Should be a good fight though.

seraphim
January 14th, 2009, 10:46 PM
I want to go, but I don't wanna pay crazy prices for tix. Anyone know/got any good hookups for this fight?

Cup B4 I Die
January 14th, 2009, 10:53 PM
I want to go, but I don't wanna pay crazy prices for tix. Anyone know/got any good hookups for this fight?

They've got 25.00$ tix on ticketmaster right now. And for boxing, that's pretty darn cheap. I got 50.00$ tix in the lower bowl last month.

The 25.00$ tix are in the 300s

ASUcruz
January 24th, 2009, 10:29 PM
Performance of the ages out of Sugar Shane. Just brilliant. Brought the fight from the opening bell and took it to Margarito. Tony had no answers and was getting killed by those looping rights at every turn.

Sugar Shane was just awesome tonight. He has always been one of my favorite fighters because of his warrior's mentality. Just a fantastic showing by a hall of famer.

Cup B4 I Die
January 25th, 2009, 12:09 AM
I was at the fight!!

I was at game 4, Kings vs Detroit in 2001...I was at game 6, Kings vs Detroit in 2001......but the atmosphere at Staples tonight was unbelievable!! The intensity in the arena rivals any Kings' playoff game. Well worth the 50.00$ spent. My wife went with me, and she was blown away by the crowd. I can only hope that they continue to have huge fights at Staples.

We need an usher update for tonight's fight. 2 huge brawls in the crowd in the section to our right (we were in section 214).

Anyways...Shane Mosley fought a perfect fight. Beat Margarito to the punch and got 'up in his chest' when he wasn't throwing punches. The ref allowed him to hold a little inside. I can only remember 1-2 big punches that Margarito landed. And for him, that's saying something.

All in all, a great night to be a boxing fan in LA. Great night for boxing overall. Boxing isn't dead, and tonight proves it.

Congrats to Sugar Shane on a monumental performance.

Hockey53
January 25th, 2009, 12:42 AM
I thought before the fight that Margarito would beat Mosley.Boy was I way wrong.Sugar Shane from the start of the fight precise and accurate with his punches. Also,it looked like Mosley was getting stronger as the fight wore on. Congrats to Sugar Shane for a 9th round TKO and will he be fighting Cotto,Williams,or maybe Pacqiuo(sp) in his next fight?.

Cup B4 I Die
January 25th, 2009, 12:49 AM
I thought before the fight that Margarito would beat Mosley.Boy was I way wrong.Sugar Shane from the start of the fight precise and accurate with his punches. Also,it looked like Mosley was getting stronger as the fight wore on. Congrats to Sugar Shane for a 9th round TKO and will he be fighting Cotto,Williams,or maybe Pacqiuo(sp) in his next fight?.

If Pacquiao vs Mayweather doesn't happen, then I wouldn't be surprised to see Mosley vs Floyd sometime this year. It would have been nice to see Shane call out Floyd tonight. But we'll see.

UnderPressure
May 2nd, 2009, 10:23 PM
Manny Pac pfp #1

Hockey53
May 2nd, 2009, 10:40 PM
Looks like a Pacquio/Mayweather fight if Mayweather wins his coming out of retirement fight this July.Couldn't believe it when I read Pacquio KO'd Hatton in the 2nd round. I thought it would be a war lasting more than 2 rounds.

AlexSeren
May 2nd, 2009, 11:21 PM
wasn't even a fight, i wanted Hatton to have a good showing but Manny is just too damn good.

ASUcruz
May 3rd, 2009, 02:05 AM
Manny just exposed Hatton for the club fighter he is. Awesome performance.

Mr. Irreverent
May 3rd, 2009, 10:48 AM
Manny just exposed Hatton for the club fighter he is. Awesome performance.

Yup. Hatton has fought a bunch of cupcakes in the UK for most of his career. There's no way Hatton would have even made through Barrera, Morales or Marquez.

I hope Pacman destroys Mayweather if it comes to be.

Hockey53
May 10th, 2009, 11:16 PM
Just finished watching the Pacquio/Hatton fight and the left hook before the end of round 2 was lightning quick and vicious.Now I wonder what Hatton well do for his next fight and who will fight Pacman in his next fight.boxing: see_stars:

ASUcruz
May 10th, 2009, 11:19 PM
Where's that guy who was arguing with me saying that Hatton was as fast as Mosley.

ASUcruz
May 10th, 2009, 11:20 PM
Just finished watching the Pacquio/Hatton fight and the left hook before the end of round 2 was lightning quick and vicious.Now I wonder what Hatton well do for his next fight and who will fight Pacman in his next fight.boxing: see_stars:

Hatton should probably quit. He can beat most mid level guys but against top competition he is outmatched.

Hockey53
May 11th, 2009, 12:34 AM
I think Marquez will beat F.Mayweather Jr. by decision and that will set up another rock'em/sock'em Pacquio/Marquez war in the ring.:busted_blue:

ASUcruz
May 11th, 2009, 12:45 AM
I think Marquez will beat F.Mayweather Jr. by decision and that will set up another rock'em/sock'em Pacquio/Marquez war in the ring.:busted_blue:

Maybe, Marquez has always had problems with speed and Mayweather is as fast as they come. I mean the guy lost to Chris John. I think it will be a closer fight than people think, but Mayweather will decision Marquez.

seraphim
May 14th, 2009, 11:09 AM
PBF isn't losing to anybody. JMM isn't that good either.

-_Sf

ASUcruz
May 14th, 2009, 02:18 PM
PBF isn't losing to anybody. JMM isn't that good either.

-_Sf

Have you seen JMM fight? He's a solid fighter, he's just going to be to small to do anything to Floyd.

Pretty pussy move by Mayweather by the way.

seraphim
May 15th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Have you seen JMM fight? He's a solid fighter, he's just going to be to small to do anything to Floyd.
MAB vs. EM vs. JMM is a game of rock, paper, and scissors. With that being said, MAB is the toughest, EM is the most technical, and JMM is the boxing equivalent to paper. Even though he wins fights, he seems like he just covers rocks. (http://www.boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=12222&cat=boxer)

PBF is going to kill him. It's going to be closer to the ODLH fight than the Hatton massacre, but PBF wins easily.

-_Sf[/QUOTE]

ASUcruz
May 15th, 2009, 04:24 PM
MAB vs. EM vs. JMM is a game of rock, paper, and scissors. With that being said, MAB is the toughest, EM is the most technical, and JMM is the boxing equivalent to paper. Even though he wins fights, he seems like he just covers rocks. (http://www.boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=12222&cat=boxer)

PBF is going to kill him. It's going to be closer to the ODLH fight than the Hatton massacre, but PBF wins easily.

-_Sf[/QUOTE]

There is no way Morales is the most techincal. Marquez is easily has the best technique out of all those guys. Footwork is perfect and he can throw any shot from anywhere.

I think Morales is the toughest, just look at the second fight with Pacquiao, Barrera pussied out and played safe. Not like Morales who went out on his shield

I think Mayweather is going to win, just wish he would grow some balls and fight someone in his own weight class.

Cup B4 I Die
June 3rd, 2009, 03:20 PM
Sugar Shane vs Pacquiao is in the works. Possibly at a catch weight around 144 lbs. I hope Staples Center bids hard for this fight, it would be awsome to attend!! Screw MGM, lets get 20,000+at Staples! Makes sense with the Philipino population in LA+Shane being from Pomona. Hope it happens.

Hockey53
June 3rd, 2009, 10:57 PM
It would be great to see Mosley vs Pacquiao here at Staples Center. I might pick Pacqiuao over Mosley since he dismantled Hatton in 2 rounds.

Cup B4 I Die
June 4th, 2009, 03:28 PM
It would be great to see Mosley vs Pacquiao here at Staples Center. I might pick Pacqiuao over Mosley since he dismantled Hatton in 2 rounds.

Tough call. Mosley has quite the chin and just knocked out Margarito. I think it would be a great fight and a great event for LA if they can work it at Staples.

ASUcruz
June 4th, 2009, 07:21 PM

I don't see it. Mosley is a great, great fighter. Bringing up the win against Hatton doesn't really prove anything because he is a totally different fighter than Mayweather. For one, Mosley is great and Hatton is mediocre. Not to mention Mosley's hand and foot speed, his smarts, and his toughness.

A Pacquiao-Mosley fight is one for the ages. A great matchup of two guys who can box but who will bring the fight. I'd love to see it happen.

gescom
July 12th, 2009, 01:56 PM
Arturo Gatti was apparently murdered yesterday... his wife is being held in connection.

Wife held in boxing champ's killing in Brazil - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2009/SPORT/07/12/gatti.boxing.dead.brazil/index.html)

Gatti was found dead Saturday in a hotel in Brazil, where he was taking a vacation with his wife, Amanda Carina Barbosa Rodrigues, and their young child...

... Rodrigues, 23, was being held in a police station in the city of Recife in connection with the killing, a police official in Porto de Galihnas told CNN...

... Rodrigues became a suspect because of inconsistencies during her interrogation, local reports quoted homicide task force chief Josedith Ferreira as saying....

Cup B4 I Die
July 13th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Arturo Gatti was apparently murdered yesterday... his wife is being held in connection.

Wife held in boxing champ's killing in Brazil - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2009/SPORT/07/12/gatti.boxing.dead.brazil/index.html)

RIP ARTURO...Thanks for the memories.

YouTube - Boxing - Arturo Gatti v Micky Ward I pt 1

Cup B4 I Die
July 15th, 2009, 11:06 PM
HBO is replaying all three Gatti/Ward fights this weekend. If you have not seen them, I suggest you find time to watch.

Cup B4 I Die
July 20th, 2009, 09:30 PM
Pacquiao vs Cotto on November 14th! This summer had been pretty week when it comes to boxing, so hopefully this fall heats up a little.

If Floyd beats JMM, i'd like to see him fight Mosley, with the winner of Floyd/Mosley fighting the winner of Manny/Cotto. One can dream.

Hockey53
July 20th, 2009, 10:20 PM
Pacquiao vs Cotto on November 14th! This summer had been pretty week when it comes to boxing, so hopefully this fall heats up a little.

If Floyd beats JMM, i'd like to see him fight Mosley, with the winner of Floyd/Mosley fighting the winner of Manny/Cotto. One can dream.That's true,it has been a boring summer for boxing this year. I think Paquiao will beat Cotto in Nov.by decision.It will be a good fight to watch. Floyd/Mosley fight would be fun to watch also with Floyd by knockout in the 9th round.

Cup B4 I Die
July 21st, 2009, 10:13 AM
That's true,it has been a boring summer for boxing this year. I think Paquiao will beat Cotto in Nov.by decision.It will be a good fight to watch. Floyd/Mosley fight would be fun to watch also with Floyd by knockout in the 9th round.

If Floyd and Mosley were to fight, I don't think Floyd has the will or power to knock out Shane. Mosley went the distance with Cotto, who is a much more powerful puncher. I could see Floyd winning by decision though.

I do agree with your Pacquiao by decision prediction over Cotto. I think he's too fast for Cotto.

SystemOfACrown
July 26th, 2009, 11:10 AM
Good to see the boxing thread is alive and well. First things first, Ricky Hatton. Overrated and over hyped club fighter. Cotto will be much more of a challenge to Pac but Pac will still beat Miguel. I know, I know, I better stop going out on the limb like that.

Floyd beats Marquez in typical Floyd fashion. Marquez will not be knocked out but it does concern me that the latest pictures of Marquez have him looking like he ate too much menudo. His arms look strong but dude has a bit of a belly.

Floyd also beats Mosley. Mosley, I think had his last great fight against Margarito unless Shane makes another trip to Balco.
Margarito was around 200lbs one month before his fight with Shane and it hurt him to lose so much weight in that time, which is probably why they stuffed plaster in his gloves. Did Shane look impressive? Yes. Was Nazim's game plan effective? Without a doubt. But Margarito was depleted. I think you would see a Shane more comparable to the guy who fought Mayorga than to the one who fought Margarito if he fought Pac or Money Mayweather.

ASU, I'm definitely interested in your perspective. How've you been bro?

Hockey53
July 26th, 2009, 12:44 PM
SystemOfACrown,I don't think you're going out on a limb to say that Pacman will beat Cotto.As for Floyd vs. Marquez,if Floyd is the fighter he was when he retired than I would say he could beat Marquez.As you also mentioned Marquez looks like he has a menudo belly,but I still have a feeling that Marquez will beat Floyd by decision.Both fights will be very close and great to watch.

ketel&tonic
July 30th, 2009, 12:36 PM

Suicide.

Brazil police rule Gatti's death suicide - Boxing - Yahoo! Sports (http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news?slug=ap-gatti-death&prov=ap&type=lgns)

Hockey53
July 30th, 2009, 04:39 PM
That's too bad.Gatti was a great fighter with alot of heart.

Cross Traffic
October 28th, 2009, 07:44 AM
Saw a great documentary on ESPN last night about the Ali/Holmes fight in 1980. Very bittersweet watching the training footage. Larry Holmes is interviewed quite a bit in this, seems very down to earth and grateful for his career. He was in Boise a few years back for a boxing promotion, and walked into my work, I was the only one who recognized the 7 year heavyweight champion of the world.

Hoya
November 14th, 2009, 10:56 PM
Pacquiao dominated Cotto.

P. Diddy
November 14th, 2009, 11:03 PM
that wasn't a surprise...

gescom
November 15th, 2009, 12:58 PM
Pacquiao dominated Cotto.

it was as MondoBlando texted to me after the fight - a massacre

to a certain degree, maybe... but certainly no one other than a betting public who always has their favorites felt that Cotto was going to have his ass handed to him like that.

the funniest part was listening to Lampley spending rounds 5 to 9 slowly attempting to unearth the flag he was busy planting up Cotto's ass for the first 1/3 of the fight... even funnier when Pacquiao was on the ropes in like the 4th round and Lampley nearly sucked Cotto's **** from the desk only to have Emmanuel Steward PWN his ass and say "i think he's just taking a breather."

Jim seriously needs to be facepalmed by his wife.

Mondo Blando
November 15th, 2009, 11:17 PM
Cotto won the first round on the strength of his jab, but then as soon as round 2 started, he came out with a more upright stance. He had holes everywhere, and he was just a sitting duck. It was all downhill from there, and fast...

Nobody in the TV era has ever punched with that much power and coordination in both hands.

ASUcruz
November 16th, 2009, 02:13 PM

I think even the most ardent Pacquiao supporters like myself thought it was gonna be a tough fight. Pacquiao dismantling Cotto like that was certainly a surprise to me. I expected a war not a massacre as Gescom and Mondo Blondo have discussed.

ASUcruz
November 16th, 2009, 02:14 PM
it was as MondoBlando texted to me after the fight - a massacre

the funniest part was listening to Lampley spending rounds 5 to 9 slowly attempting to unearth the flag he was busy planting up Cotto's ass for the first 1/3 of the fight... even funnier when Pacquiao was on the ropes in like the 4th round and Lampley nearly sucked Cotto's **** from the desk only to have Emmanuel Steward PWN his ass and say "i think he's just taking a breather."

Jim seriously needs to be facepalmed by his wife.

Haha, Lampley is always excitable. I didn't mind him too much, he gives Pacquiao his just due.

ASUcruz
November 16th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Nobody in the TV era has ever punched with that much power and coordination in both hands.

I'd put a prime Roy Jones Jr. in that category. It's just too bad there were no other quality Light Heavies or Middleweights to sufficiently challenge him.

Mondo Blando
November 16th, 2009, 11:16 PM
I'd put a prime Roy Jones Jr. in that category. It's just too bad there were no other quality Light Heavies or Middleweights to sufficiently challenge him.

Well, none that Roy wanted any part of...

ASUcruz
November 18th, 2009, 10:43 AM
Well, none that Roy wanted any part of...

Eh who exactly did he duck?

Cup B4 I Die
November 18th, 2009, 05:02 PM
Fight I want to see in 2010: Pacquiao vs Mosley
-would not create as much buzz, but it would be a better fight IMO. Both fighters don't back down and have good chins.

Fight we will see in 2010: Pacquiao vs Floyd
-I think Floyd will win an overhyped fight that will see Manny chasing Floyd around the ring for 12 rounds.

Lets fill up Staples with a Mosley vs Manny fight!! Would be great for LA. I'm hoping the Floyd/Manny contract negotiations break down for this to happen. I'm not holding my breath though.

UnderPressure
November 19th, 2009, 09:58 AM
What's with all these BS steroid allegations for Pacquiao that were started by a crackhead named Floyd Mayweather Sr. That predator-looking mother****er needs to STFU as he could only wish he had a fighter like Manny to train.

ASUcruz
November 19th, 2009, 11:05 AM
Fight I want to see in 2010: Pacquiao vs Mosley
-would not create as much buzz, but it would be a better fight IMO. Both fighters don't back down and have good chins.

Fight we will see in 2010: Pacquiao vs Floyd
-I think Floyd will win an overhyped fight that will see Manny chasing Floyd around the ring for 12 rounds.

Lets fill up Staples with a Mosley vs Manny fight!! Would be great for LA. I'm hoping the Floyd/Manny contract negotiations break down for this to happen. I'm not holding my breath though.

I'd love to see a Pacquiao-Mosley fight. You make all the relevant points. Only problem is Sugar Shane is a Golden Boy fighter and Floyd's next fight is under the Golden Boy banner. If negotiations breakdown between Arum and Richard Schafer, I don't see them going to a Pacquiao-Mosley fight as a back up. Maybe but there's too much money on the table to not make that Pacquiao-Mayweather fight.

You're right though, I bet Mayweather's plan will be to potshot Pacquiao and get on his bike. Similar to what he did to Carlos Baldomir. If Pacquiao can cut off the ring, something he didn't do when Cotto got on his bike, Mayweather will be forced into a fight.

Cup B4 I Die
November 19th, 2009, 12:34 PM
I'd love to see a Pacquiao-Mosley fight. You make all the relevant points. Only problem is Sugar Shane is a Golden Boy fighter and Floyd's next fight is under the Golden Boy banner. If negotiations breakdown between Arum and Richard Schafer, I don't see them going to a Pacquiao-Mosley fight as a back up. Maybe but there's too much money on the table to not make that Pacquiao-Mayweather fight.

You're right though, I bet Mayweather's plan will be to potshot Pacquiao and get on his bike. Similar to what he did to Carlos Baldomir. If Pacquiao can cut off the ring, something he didn't do when Cotto got on his bike, Mayweather will be forced into a fight.

You can bet Floyd will watch rounds 1-2 of the Manny/Cotto fight for a blueprint on how to win a fight vs Pacquio. Jab Jab hook...get out. Problem for Cotto was he couldn't get out quick enough. Floyd will not have that problem.

And we'll all get liquored up, plump down 60.00$, invite all of our friends over, and wonder what all of the hype was all about.

If anyone is quick enough and fast enough to cut off the ring vs Floyd, it's Manny. Manny should do his best to sh** talk Floyd for the next 6 months to try and goat him into actually fighting, but I think Lil' floyd is too smart for that game.

And as far as Sugar Shane goes....he still has to beat a young and fast Berto in January.

SystemOfACrown
October 30th, 2010, 11:45 PM
Calling my shot right now, Rafael Marquez will beat Juan Manuel Lopez next week.

Annapurna
November 12th, 2011, 04:01 PM
Anyone watching the Pacquiao/Marquez fight tonight?

Hockey53
November 12th, 2011, 04:19 PM
I'll watch it next week when it's free on HBO,but will be getting updates on my IPhone.It should be a great fight as usual between Pacquiao and Marquez.It's like watching the Rock'em/Sock'em Robot version live.I think Pacquiao wins in a 12 round Decision.

Mondo Blando
June 24th, 2012, 04:22 PM
Just in case anyone is out there reading this thread...

Victor Ortiz, skill of a world champ, heart of a MMA "fighter".

That puss has tapped out twice now, and made a fool of himself in the Mayweather fight. That kid is done, nobody in boxing will take him seriously again. It's a shame too, he fought so well in the Berto fight.

Good riddance to bad rubbish.