Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 101
Like Tree100Likes

Thread: The American whiskey thread

  1. #11
    devenir gris gescom's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    33,435
    Liked
    1884 times
    Karma
    1252516
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    579 Post(s)

    Default

    if im having a beer kind of night... nothing has ever started it off better than a couple of Maker's in the face. never done no harm!

  2. #12
    Team LGK OTTo VoN BLoTTo's Avatar




    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    2,766
    Liked
    136 times
    Karma
    1005000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BleedingPurple View Post
    I'm new to this whole whiskey thing but I've had a couple of friends get me to try some Whiskeys (Woodford and Eagle Rare) and Scotch (Highland Park 18yr) and I think I'm getting pulled in. I've been finishing a bottle of Eagle Rare and while I have literally zero knowledge to impart on this thread, I thought it was quite smooth and it's the first whiskey that I could actually sip and enjoy. I do thrown in a rock or two and let it open up. Price is usually about $25, usually less than that at Total Wine if I'm not mistaken.

    Looking forward to learning more from you guys...

    Notes from the Bevmo site:
    "FOUR STARS SPIRITS JOURNAL. GOLD MEDAL DRINKS INTERNATIONAL MAGAZINE, DOUBLE GOLD 2008 SAN FRANCISCO SPIRITS COMPETITION, 96 PTS WINE ENTHUSIAST. Slight oak and candied almonds, sweet oaky nose."


    Nice! Eagle Rare is well-regarded whiskey from Buffalo Trace and yet another that I can't get out here. Next time on the mainland I hope to grab a glass somewhere.

  3. #13
    Team LGK OTTo VoN BLoTTo's Avatar




    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    2,766
    Liked
    136 times
    Karma
    1005000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)

    Default




    Love this. A interesting blend of 16yr and 2yr whiskeys, it's about as massive a rye character as you can possibly get. Ordered from Hi-Times and likely will again when this bottle is gone (which won't be long).

  4. #14
    2nd Scoring Line




    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    378
    Liked
    51 times
    Karma
    1110884
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Default

    Fans of these whisk(e)y threads know I'm a scotchnik. But I got a bottle of Willett Bourbon for my birthday and I thought I'd share some observations and tasting notes. This is a 14 year single barrel (no. 3679); 57.15% ABV. Its bottle no. 99 of 135. Only 135 bottles per barrel? That's pretty small. Generally in scotches, bourbon barrels will produce in the neighborhood of 225 bottles.

    The nose is very aromatic. Supremely woody with the classic caramel and vanilla, slight hints of red apple, tobacco and menthol.

    Taste at first reveals tremendous spice that seems to last awhile. There are those classic caramel and vanilla flavors. This is a solid bourbon and does not get buried by the high ABV. I don't think it is terribly dynamic in flavor, but is still pretty good.
    OTTo VoN BLoTTo likes this.

  5. #15
    Time wounds all heels. Stormy2213's Avatar




    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    4,829
    Liked
    431 times
    Karma
    3276905
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    123 Post(s)

    Default

    My gal and I have been knocking back an awful lot of Templeton Rye, neat, lately. We really enjoy the extra spice and fruit that you get from rye - especially the spiciness. The warm afternoons have sort of screamed out for a nice pour of rye followed up with a DIPA or IPA. Of course I'll never turn down a glass (or two) of Maker's Mark, Bulleit, or Woodford Reserve.
    OTTo VoN BLoTTo likes this.

  6. #16
    1st Scoring Line




    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,469
    Liked
    788 times
    Karma
    620980803
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    270 Post(s)

    Default

    Give me Jim Beam Black mixed with water, and a splash of ginger ale. Jim Beams Devils Cut 90 next, then J.T.S. Brown 101 proof (only available in Kentucky) with the same mixin's. Ummm, good stuff.
    OTTo VoN BLoTTo likes this.

  7. #17
    Team LGK OTTo VoN BLoTTo's Avatar




    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    2,766
    Liked
    136 times
    Karma
    1005000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xcheck View Post
    Fans of these whisk(e)y threads know I'm a scotchnik. But I got a bottle of Willett Bourbon for my birthday and I thought I'd share some observations and tasting notes. This is a 14 year single barrel (no. 3679); 57.15% ABV. Its bottle no. 99 of 135. Only 135 bottles per barrel? That's pretty small. Generally in scotches, bourbon barrels will produce in the neighborhood of 225 bottles.

    The nose is very aromatic. Supremely woody with the classic caramel and vanilla, slight hints of red apple, tobacco and menthol.

    Taste at first reveals tremendous spice that seems to last awhile. There are those classic caramel and vanilla flavors. This is a solid bourbon and does not get buried by the high ABV. I don't think it is terribly dynamic in flavor, but is still pretty good.
    Thanks, xcheck. This was recommended at a local shop but I've always been weary of anything in a gimmicky bottle so have avoided it probably unfairly. Sounds pretty good.... love to sample it someday.

    Quote Originally Posted by Stormy2213 View Post
    My gal and I have been knocking back an awful lot of Templeton Rye, neat, lately. We really enjoy the extra spice and fruit that you get from rye - especially the spiciness. The warm afternoons have sort of screamed out for a nice pour of rye followed up with a DIPA or IPA. Of course I'll never turn down a glass (or two) of Maker's Mark, Bulleit, or Woodford Reserve.
    Finally got a taste of this on Saturday. The nose and flavor profile right off the bat are lovely like you said, but the velvety smoothness is what really impressed. Wow. Yeah, neat all the way and you could seriously drink this all day long. If they decide to bring it in I'll grab one for sure.
    Stormy2213 likes this.

  8. #18
    1st Scoring Line kingsfan32's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,213
    Liked
    488 times
    Karma
    5050734
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    123 Post(s)

    Default The American whiskey thread

    New bourbon: Breaking & Entering. Really good and about $32 a bottle at Total Wine. Basil Haydens is a favorite as well. Go to bottle as mentioned by others is Buffal Trace; $20 at Total Wine.

    For those who aren't afraid to spend, various Total Wine stores (i go to their Tustin Store) ate suppose to get a few cases of Pappy Van Winkle sometime this month. I was told about Nov 19th. Only 1 bottle per customer though.
    OTTo VoN BLoTTo likes this.

  9. #19
    Team LGK OTTo VoN BLoTTo's Avatar




    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    2,766
    Liked
    136 times
    Karma
    1005000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kingsfan32 View Post
    For those who aren't afraid to spend, various Total Wine stores (i go to their Tustin Store) ate suppose to get a few cases of Pappy Van Winkle sometime this month. I was told about Nov 19th. Only 1 bottle per customer though.

    Oh damn. Thanks for the heads up, but having not checked in here in a while I may have missed the PVW boat yet again. That's what I get for neglecting LGK. On hold now for my guy at Hi-Times....

  10. #20
    1st Scoring Line kingsfan32's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,213
    Liked
    488 times
    Karma
    5050734
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    123 Post(s)

    Default The American whiskey thread

    The store in Huntington Beach got them this morning. I was able to get a bottle of the 10 and 12 year old. Tustin Total Wine "may" get their shipment on Weds (12/5). They said to call first but are only getting 12-16 bottles each of the 15, 20 and 23 year old.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28