Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 156
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Hatter's Humidor - ***The Official CIGAR Thread***

  1. #31
    With us always. DougW8's Avatar




    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    6,077
    Liked
    184 times
    Karma
    1015000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eyesk8r View Post
    First of all i think this should be called eyesk8r's humidor lol, j/k.


    Anyone on LGK who's planning on coming to Vegas let me know, i work for the company that partnered with the Fuentes and partially owns Casa Fuente, so i get 40% off stoggies and drinks there.

    Also i can get pre-embargos for about 30 or 40 bucks a stick, what do you usually pay for them?

    eyesk8r's top 5 full body cigars

    Opus-x
    Fuente Anejo
    Diamond Crown Maximus (which is made by Fuente and Ashton)
    Ashton ESG
    Any Padron Anniversary

    If you can get your hands on a pre-embargo they are by far the best smokes in the world, aged like good scotch.

    A word of advice to all cigar smokers, don't always go by what you read in cigar magazines. They are a great guide, but never 100% accurate, some of the best cigars don't even make the list. The people that make the list up are bad a great deal of money from the manufacturer to say good things. Everybody has different tastes, and they are rarely the same as these "afficionado's"
    Some great advice, and I will look you up next time I'm out that way.

    I pay more than that for my pre-embargos. I paid $55 my last time out there, but I've seen them anywhere from $50 up to $200+, depending on age and condition.
    Wasn't thinking of anything specific
    Like in a dream, when someone wakes up and screams
    Nothing too very scientific
    Just thinking of a series of dreams

  2. #32
    Team LGK




    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    6,680
    Liked
    168 times
    Karma
    1055000
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    214 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DougW8 View Post
    Some great advice, and I will look you up next time I'm out that way.

    I pay more than that for my pre-embargos. I paid $55 my last time out there, but I've seen them anywhere from $50 up to $200+, depending on age and condition.
    In the shop we charge 100 and up, the most expensive one i've sold was 400 it was a pre embargo bolivar from 1952. we have some that were rolled in 1890.

    I get the pre embargos at cost plus tobacco tax, usually 30 or 40 a stick.
    Live from Las Vegas....All Sarcasm all the time!!!!

  3. #33
    I don't rattle, kid. Kubrick's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    16,041
    Liked
    1241 times
    Karma
    1239154
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    610 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Unfiltered View Post
    That looks like a doodie with a wrapper.


    Doody!

  4. #34
    Chipping for par lath19's Avatar




    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,319
    Liked
    1 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eyesk8r View Post
    Lath, get that humidor up to 70% humidity, or your stoggies are going to go bad in a few weeks. Optimal humidor settings depending on the climate is 68% - 72% in vegas we keep them at 74% cuz it's hella dry, but in the LA area you should be good at 68 to 70%.
    I don't like mine quite as wet which is why I keep it at a lower humidity. I try to keep it around 66-67% with a temp of 68-70 degrees. Been doing that since I got the thing (12-14 months?) and haven't had any problems with cigars going bad. No cracking or drying ever. They're just how I like em.

    I did some reading up and questioning on temp/RH before I bought the humidor and a majority of smokers liked the cigars closer to 65%. I decided to split the difference and keep it in the middle of 65-70%.

  5. #35
    Team LGK OTTo VoN BLoTTo's Avatar




    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    2,766
    Liked
    136 times
    Karma
    1005000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)

    Default

    So after doing a little research I had no choice but to grab my first humidor yesterday. I am PSYCHED. Nothing too fancy, but it's pretty nice: Cherry finish, 100 capacity, Spanish cedar inside, glass top, and a perfect whoosh. It actually closed better than a couple of the more expensive models. Seasoned the wood and started the salt test last night, so hopefully tonight I can calibrate the hygrometer and put in what I have soon.

    Question: do you guys store with or without the plastic wrappers? It looks like Lath19 takes his off, but I've read that some like to leave them on and even cut the tip through the wrapper. Any thoughts?

    Freddie LIVES!!!!!!!!

  6. #36
    Team LGK




    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    6,680
    Liked
    168 times
    Karma
    1055000
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    214 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by *BLoTTo* View Post
    So after doing a little research I had no choice but to grab my first humidor yesterday. I am PSYCHED. Nothing too fancy, but it's pretty nice: Cherry finish, 100 capacity, Spanish cedar inside, glass top, and a perfect whoosh. It actually closed better than a couple of the more expensive models. Seasoned the wood and started the salt test last night, so hopefully tonight I can calibrate the hygrometer and put in what I have soon.

    Question: do you guys store with or without the plastic wrappers? It looks like Lath19 takes his off, but I've read that some like to leave them on and even cut the tip through the wrapper. Any thoughts?
    sounds like you bought a savoy. i leave the warpers on, it allows the cigars to stay more fresh, and if you different bodied cigars without wrapers, especially flavored cigars, it can actually dull the cigar, or it might not taste the way the manufacture intended it to. i leave my wrapers on to get plume, which often gets mistaken for mold, but its not. plume is white and is a sign of good age of a cigar.

    some advice to everyone, use distilled water, and get digital hygrometers, they are about 15 bucks at radio shack.
    Live from Las Vegas....All Sarcasm all the time!!!!

  7. #37
    Team LGK OTTo VoN BLoTTo's Avatar




    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    2,766
    Liked
    136 times
    Karma
    1005000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eyesk8r View Post
    sounds like you bought a savoy. i leave the warpers on, it allows the cigars to stay more fresh, and if you different bodied cigars without wrapers, especially flavored cigars, it can actually dull the cigar, or it might not taste the way the manufacture intended it to. i leave my wrapers on to get plume, which often gets mistaken for mold, but its not. plume is white and is a sign of good age of a cigar.

    some advice to everyone, use distilled water, and get digital hygrometers, they are about 15 bucks at radio shack.

    Actually it's by Bally:



    Only a handful to choose from as here in Honolulu we have a very limited selection on--well, pretty much everything. It seemed to be the best for the price--about $80. I saw it cheaper on various websites, but also everything here is price-jacked to hell. C 'est la vie. Gotta take one for the team sometimes and support our local community.

    So wrappers on then. Another question, eyesk8r: I wiped down the lining with a new sponge and distilled water, wetted the humidifier and put it inside. Do I still need to sit a glass of d. water inside for a day or three before putting smokes in, or would my process be enough? Amazing, the web. So much info one could go crazy.....

  8. #38
    Hell yes. UnholyGoalie's Avatar




    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    5,659
    Liked
    584 times
    Karma
    1086200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    111 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by *BLoTTo* View Post
    Question: do you guys store with or without the plastic wrappers? It looks like Lath19 takes his off, but I've read that some like to leave them on and even cut the tip through the wrapper. Any thoughts?
    From all I've read on the subject, it usually comes down to personal preference. The cello shouldn't effect long term storage much, and do not offer much of a barrier against beetles. The one advantage I can think of is that the cello will help prevent the wrappers from getting damaged when you move your cigars around. Other than that, it's personal taste.

    I store my stogies however they come. Naked or in cello.

    Congrats on the humidor!

  9. #39
    Team LGK




    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    6,680
    Liked
    168 times
    Karma
    1055000
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    214 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by *BLoTTo* View Post
    Actually it's by Bally:



    Only a handful to choose from as here in Honolulu we have a very limited selection on--well, pretty much everything. It seemed to be the best for the price--about $80. I saw it cheaper on various websites, but also everything here is price-jacked to hell. C 'est la vie. Gotta take one for the team sometimes and support our local community.

    So wrappers on then. Another question, eyesk8r: I wiped down the lining with a new sponge and distilled water, wetted the humidifier and put it inside. Do I still need to sit a glass of d. water inside for a day or three before putting smokes in, or would my process be enough? Amazing, the web. So much info one could go crazy.....
    that should be enough, the cup of water is only used if you have a hard time calibrating your hygrometer. a good test to make sure your humidor is air tight is to close the lid with a dollar bill sticking half out, pull on the bill lightly, if it slides right out its not a tight seal but if you can feel some friction the seal is tight.
    Live from Las Vegas....All Sarcasm all the time!!!!

  10. #40
    waxing poetic Hipcheck's Avatar




    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    31,097
    Liked
    1216 times
    Karma
    1346238
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    345 Post(s)

    Default

    Last Night I had a 99 Vintage greycliff robusto. Very enjoyable!
    "How Dare You Trump My Clever Witticism"

    Click 4 LGK INTERNET RADIO ARCHIVE

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28