Page 176 of 304 FirstFirst ... 76 126 166 174 175 176 177 178 186 226 276 ... LastLast
Results 1,751 to 1,760 of 3035
Like Tree831Likes

Thread: The recommend-a-beer thread

  1. #1751
    Inland Emperor Azagthoth's Avatar




    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    7,646
    Liked
    65 times
    Karma
    1011232
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

    Default

    Had Firestone's Double Jack over the weekend. Very good, definitely boozy (9.5%) for a Double IPA. The booze somewhat overpowered the hop strength, but was still a nice beer. $7.99 ain't bad either for a 22 oz of it.

    North Coast's Old Stock Cellar Reserve 2009 was another one I recently had, and is undoubtedly a contender for one of my favorite barrel aged brews. It's an "old ale", just shy of 14% abv but sipped like a nice caramely-like barleywine. Everything was nice, except for the price tag - $23.99/just over a pint. Ouch.

  2. #1752
    FIRE BETTMAN!! BeerMan's Avatar




    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    18,795
    Liked
    8299 times
    Karma
    1045000
    Images
    39
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    194 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Azagthoth View Post
    Had Firestone's Double Jack over the weekend. Very good, definitely boozy (9.5%) for a Double IPA. The booze somewhat overpowered the hop strength, but was still a nice beer. $7.99 ain't bad either for a 22 oz of it.

    North Coast's Old Stock Cellar Reserve 2009 was another one I recently had, and is undoubtedly a contender for one of my favorite barrel aged brews. It's an "old ale", just shy of 14% abv but sipped like a nice caramely-like barleywine. Everything was nice, except for the price tag - $23.99/just over a pint. Ouch.
    ouch is right. damn breweries charging a bit too much for some quality beers. (think Bruery and especially Firestone's 14th)

    how is the Double Jack compared to the Union Jack?

    btw, I had some Kona Pipeline Porter but came away disappointed with it. as compared to the past releases (a couple of years back), this year's has been way overpowering on coffee alone.
    I BELIEVE I'll have another beer!

  3. #1753
    Inland Emperor Azagthoth's Avatar




    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    7,646
    Liked
    65 times
    Karma
    1011232
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BeerMan View Post
    ouch is right. damn breweries charging a bit too much for some quality beers. (think Bruery and especially Firestone's 14th)

    how is the Double Jack compared to the Union Jack?

    btw, I had some Kona Pipeline Porter but came away disappointed with it. as compared to the past releases (a couple of years back), this year's has been way overpowering on coffee alone.
    I hear ya on the Firestone 14. Nice beer and all, but looking back I shouldn't have paid close to $100 for 4 bottles, just not worth it for that one. You can expect anything barrel aged these days to be a bargain at $20, and lots of Bruery beers that are barrel aged or some type of special release are usually close to that. If I really like it, I don't mind spending that much, considering their bottles are 750ml compared to the $23.99 Old Stock for 16oz.

    I prefer the Union Jack, because the hop flavor and bitterness is a slight notch above being balanced with the malt, leaving that crispness which makes you want another sip, or pint, hehe. The Double Jack is great, but the booze overpowers the hop bitterness/flavors. I'd take a 6 pack of Union Jack for 10 bucks which I can make a night out of, as opposed to 8 bucks for a 22 oz of Double Jack, and already being a 9.5% 22 oz bottle into the night (roughly 3 1/2 5%ABV 12 oz beers) in about 20 minutes. You have to put down the Double Jack quick anyways, since it gets warm from the booze very quick. It doesn't improve as it gets closer to room temperature, like a stout would.

    I still say give it a shot. The price isn't bad for a double IPA.

  4. #1754
    All Star




    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    4,550
    Liked
    110 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I have been down on all the Sam Adams stuff lately.

    Particularly

    Irish Red
    Blackberry Witbier

    and my fav

    Chocolate Bock


    also if you want some good Belgian Ale get a bottle of Kwak from bevmo. Good ****.

  5. #1755
    Inland Emperor Azagthoth's Avatar




    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    7,646
    Liked
    65 times
    Karma
    1011232
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

    Default

    Speaking of Sam Adams and their consistent trend of releasing a nice beer one year, followed by a horrendous version the year after:

    Noble Pils

    I loved last year's, but this year's SUCKED.

    anyways, the blackberry wit is a nice one. I will always have a soft spot for the traditional Boston Lager. Can put those down all day long.
    Last edited by Azagthoth; February 8th, 2011 at 08:09 AM.

  6. #1756
    I'llPutPenniesOnYourEyes jerseydevil's Avatar




    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    35,936
    Liked
    5813 times
    Karma
    1592103
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1239 Post(s)

    Default

    Pardon me if I am retreading old news...has anyone tried



    ???


    And I got to taste BARE KNUCKLE STOUT at Sea World when they still had their, what I have been told is now defunct, beer tasting bar...I was wondering, does anyone know if Anheuser Busch still makes this tremendous beer? And if so...is there anyway to buy it anywhere????

  7. #1757
    FIRE BETTMAN!! BeerMan's Avatar




    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    18,795
    Liked
    8299 times
    Karma
    1045000
    Images
    39
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    194 Post(s)

    Default

    Ralph's is having a sale on Firestone beers. $6.99 for 6-packs. I found a case of Velvet Merlin which is surprising because you could only find it at specialty liquor stores.
    I BELIEVE I'll have another beer!

  8. #1758
    FIRE BETTMAN!! BeerMan's Avatar




    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    18,795
    Liked
    8299 times
    Karma
    1045000
    Images
    39
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    194 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaygokings! View Post
    I have been down on all the Sam Adams stuff lately.

    Particularly

    Irish Red
    Blackberry Witbier

    and my fav

    Chocolate Bock


    also if you want some good Belgian Ale get a bottle of Kwak from bevmo. Good ****.
    I had a chance to try some of SA's releases. Irish Red, Scotch Ale, (something) Rye Ale. I prefer the latter two over the Red.
    I BELIEVE I'll have another beer!

  9. #1759
    1st Scoring Line !Kings!'s Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    2,594
    Liked
    183 times
    Karma
    1205172
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    37 Post(s)

    Default

    Sierra 30: A Collaboration of Pioneering Brewers

    Had a bottle last night with some broiled salmon fillets...outstanding.

  10. #1760
    Inland Emperor Azagthoth's Avatar




    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    7,646
    Liked
    65 times
    Karma
    1011232
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by !Kings! View Post
    Sierra 30: A Collaboration of Pioneering Brewers

    Had a bottle last night with some broiled salmon fillets...outstanding.
    That beer rules, and is my favorite of the 4 30th Anniversary Beers.

    Actually, I never had the Imperial Helles, but the imperial stout and barleywine were outstanding.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28