I got a crock of my uber-licious Split Pea going right now! GOD the smell is Momma slapp'n good.
Lol! Hey, it's not like I can't spike my matzo ball soup with vodka! mhihi:
Is Vodka Kosher? If it isnt, God will prolly be pretty pissed with that Gentile crap mixed in with his Kosher balls.
My whole house smells like split pea goodness!
A couple good tweaking ingredients for you chili buffs out there is about 5 minutes before you shut off the fire, add a tub of sour cream, a block of Jarlsberg cheese and a puck or 5 of Queso Fresco. I can give or take the Jarlsberg but definitely do the sour cream and Queso Fresco. Once the cheese melts, stir it into the chili evenly. Obviously adjust the amounts of both to the amount of chili you're cooking. I wont make a pot of chili under 30 quarts. But Im balls out like that and I freeze the **** of it for the next year.
For some reason, I couldnt find any hamhocks around my way so I had to drive 35 miles to get 2 packs of 3. I doubled up the ingredients and made a full 8 quarts in the new monster crock and in the old 5 quart, I have a batch of Lentil and Sausage soup going. Its a cluster-fuuuu of nose pr0n.
Man this is torture to the umph degree. No need for Waterboarding, just put on a crock of that Split Pea and anyone and everyone will tell you their SS# in 5 seconds.
I had to leave the house.
Here is the Lentil and Sausage Soup recipe Im also cooking right now. Its not as simple as the SPS above but its well worth the extra prep time:
2 lb Italian sausage (You can also use Italian turkey sausage but I go freshly ground Spicy/Hot authentic Italian Sausage from my local Italian deli.)
2 large onion, chopped
3 stalk celery, chopped
4 large carrots, chopped
2 small zucchinis, chopped (I puree it cause I HATE, HATE, HATE Zukes and pureeing it disperses that nasty ass taste. Ive tried it without the zukes and it didnt taste right.)
12 (6 qts) cups chicken broth
4 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
4-6 garlic cloves
2 teaspoons salt (I use Sea)
4 cups dry lentils
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1 tblsp fresh ground black pepper
1 tblsp fresh chopped basil
1 tblsp fresh chopped oregano
1 tblsp fresh chopped thyme
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1) Brown sausage and use the drippings to caramelize the onions. You could drain off fat but why would you?
2) In a large pot combine all ingredients bring to boil OR combine ingredients in a large Crock Pot and set to LOW for 8 hours. I use the latter because the flavors fuse much, much better.
3) Reduce heat and cover. No need if in a crock.
4) Simmer for about 1 hour or until lentils are tender. Add water if necessary, for desired consistency. I like to puree about 1 cup of the soup and add back to pot to give it a thicker consistency. No need if in a crock.
5) Sprinkle with Parmesan OR grated Provolone (ala French Onion Soup w/o croutons) and GRIND!
Makes a s***load. Probably feeds 8-10. You can cut the proportions in half and go in a smaller crock like I did tonight...a 5 quart. The amounts listed above will MAX OUT a 7 quart crock