^^^Last week was homer French Onion Soup. Prolly the best batch Ive made to date.
Noct's French Onion Soup:
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1/4 cup salted butter
6 onions, coarsely sliced
2 garlic cloves, chopped
2 bay leaves
2 fresh thyme sprigs
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 cup dry red wine
3 heaping tablespoons Panko Flakes (or reg flour. Panko is mo bettah)
4 quarts beef broth
1 tsp fresh squeezed lemon juice w/o pulp.
1 Sourdough baguette, sliced and heavily toasted (reg French baguette is fine too)
1-2 Slices of Provolone Cheese
1) Melt the sticks of butter in a large pot over medium heat.
2) Add the onions, garlic, bay leaves, thyme, Lemon juice and salt and pepper and cook until the onions are very soft and caramelized. About a half hour.
3) Add the wine, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the wine has evaporated and the onions are dry, about 5 minutes.
4) Discard the bay leaves and thyme sprigs. Dust the onions with the Panko and give them a stir. Turn the heat down to medium low so the Panko doesn't burn, and cook for 10 minutes to cook the Panko Flakes. Now add the beef broth, bring the soup back to a simmer, and cook for 10 minutes. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
5) Just before serving, slice the Sourdough baguette perpendicularly and 3/4" thick. Toast them in the oven and on a baking sheet at 375 deg for about 5-7 minutes. DONT BURN!
6) Keep oven on. Ladle the soup into small, single serving Soup Crocks or Oven compatible ceramic bowls and float several of the toasted Sourdough croutons on top. Add 1-2 round slices of the Provolone cheese on top of the floating croutons. Place Crock in oven for approx 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and golden brown. DONT BURN!
Serve HOT HOT HOT!