Click Here!
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 133
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: All Things: ACADEMY AWARDS

  1. #71
    PJ Harvey is God adgy-san's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    36,262
    Liked
    17238 times
    Karma
    1094100
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    269 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SmytheKing View Post
    ...and there's the rub on Amour for me. I mean, I get it. It was sad and you can relate to the situation, but...that was it. I didn't get attached to either of the two mains, there were shots that just lingered for the sake of lingering, and the ending was pretty much what you'd figure.
    Pretty much exactly how I felt about The White Ribbon, Cache and even Funny Games, which is weird because I'm down with the concept of Funny Games and I thought it was executed well, but... I just never "got" it.

  2. #72
    I'llPutPenniesOnYourEyes jerseydevil's Avatar




    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    34,171
    Liked
    7497 times
    Karma
    1417103
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    805 Post(s)

    Default

    ARGO Blu-ray Review. ARGO Stars and was Directed by Ben Affleck | Collider

    Ok. Honesty time. I HAVE NOT seen this yet. Is it all hype? Will I like this movie, or will I hate it due to the prepackaged hype. It's a critics darling...yet you people...my mutts, don't seem to care too much. Affleck does nice work. He's a better director than actor and he's a better actor than he gets credit for. But, man...so much hype.

  3. #73
    Hit it like a baby seal SmytheKing's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    9,755
    Liked
    1045 times
    Karma
    1015000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    37 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jerseydevil View Post
    ARGO Blu-ray Review. ARGO Stars and was Directed by Ben Affleck | Collider

    Ok. Honesty time. I HAVE NOT seen this yet. Is it all hype? Will I like this movie, or will I hate it due to the prepackaged hype. It's a critics darling...yet you people...my mutts, don't seem to care too much. Affleck does nice work. He's a better director than actor and he's a better actor than he gets credit for. But, man...so much hype.
    Lot of hype, but I really found it entertaining. Thought they did a good job with making it have some fun even though it was a serious event. The opposite of Zero Dark Thirty. Good performances all around. Manage to make things tense and recreate a lot of the vibe of what was happening at the time. It's an easy watch, but you might not think of it as a "Best Picture". Honestly, in that category, this year feels pretty weak. All good films, but I don't know if any will stick around in the long run.
    jerseydevil and LetTigerIn like this.

  4. #74
    I'llPutPenniesOnYourEyes jerseydevil's Avatar




    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    34,171
    Liked
    7497 times
    Karma
    1417103
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    805 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SmytheKing View Post
    Lot of hype, but I really found it entertaining. Thought they did a good job with making it have some fun even though it was a serious event. The opposite of Zero Dark Thirty. Good performances all around. Manage to make things tense and recreate a lot of the vibe of what was happening at the time. It's an easy watch, but you might not think of it as a "Best Picture". Honestly, in that category, this year feels pretty weak. All good films, but I don't know if any will stick around in the long run.
    Oh...Life of Pi...such an overwhelmingly beautiful movie. It's one of those that I almost think NEEDS to have time distance it and show it's greatness.
    LetTigerIn likes this.

  5. #75
    I'llPutPenniesOnYourEyes jerseydevil's Avatar




    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    34,171
    Liked
    7497 times
    Karma
    1417103
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    805 Post(s)

    Default

    Notice that was NOT on your list of seen flicks...you should. And in 3d...it's moving as hell and just visually amazing.

  6. #76
    Hit it like a baby seal SmytheKing's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    9,755
    Liked
    1045 times
    Karma
    1015000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    37 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jerseydevil View Post
    Notice that was NOT on your list of seen flicks...you should. And in 3d...it's moving as hell and just visually amazing.
    Good call. One I wanted to see but just never got around to. I'll see it at some point though.

  7. #77
    Team LGK




    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,460
    Liked
    1149 times
    Karma
    1238325
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    146 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jerseydevil View Post
    ARGO Blu-ray Review. ARGO Stars and was Directed by Ben Affleck | Collider

    Ok. Honesty time. I HAVE NOT seen this yet. Is it all hype? Will I like this movie, or will I hate it due to the prepackaged hype. It's a critics darling...yet you people...my mutts, don't seem to care too much. Affleck does nice work. He's a better director than actor and he's a better actor than he gets credit for. But, man...so much hype.
    Will the hype make your expectations too high for the film? Maybe. I was fortunate to see it well before the hype. The only reason I didn't place it Best Picture in my mind immediately after seeing it is I wondered how The Master and Lincoln would figure into the picture (little did I know then that one of them would not even turn out to be a player). I think it's easily one of the best movies of the year, very well crafted. The opening sequence sold me on the film right away, and the rest of the film is solid, though not necessarily mind-blowing, ultimately entertaining, and with one great catch phrase.

    However, Life of Pi turned out to be my favorite picture last year.
    jerseydevil likes this.

  8. #78
    I'llPutPenniesOnYourEyes jerseydevil's Avatar




    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    34,171
    Liked
    7497 times
    Karma
    1417103
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    805 Post(s)

  9. #79
    OFF the Bandwagon salami's Avatar




    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    4,776
    Liked
    703 times
    Karma
    1005000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    94 Post(s)

    Default

    Just watched Argo, and while it was a fine film, as said a couple of posts above this, it just doesn't seem worthy of Best Picture. When I think of Best Picture films of the past, I just don't see this film as being of the same caliber. That said, it's a Clooney production, and as we know, in today's Hollywood politics trumps talent, so Argo's probably your winner.

  10. #80
    Elegant Diehard's Avatar




    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    9,472
    Liked
    992 times
    Karma
    1195000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by adgy-san View Post
    Pretty much exactly how I felt about The White Ribbon, Cache and even Funny Games, which is weird because I'm down with the concept of Funny Games and I thought it was executed well, but... I just never "got" it.
    Not exactly sure what's so hard to "get." I mean, when I think of filmmakers who make movies that are hard to "get" I think of Aranofsky, Malick and Jodorowsky, not Haneke. I think the themes of his films are pretty clear and he conveys them in a raw and visceral manner. He asks you to observe, to immerse yourself in the grim and unforgiving worlds that he portrays. I love his approach to filmmaking, one of my favorite directors. I'll give my input on Amour when I see it.

    I agree with those that think ARGO is overhyped. It's a good movie but not worthy of all the accolades being showered upon it. Also, I might be in the minority but I think Phoenix deserves the Oscar over Daniel-Day Lewis, even though Lewis is one of my favorite actors and he was superb as Lincoln. I just thought Phoenix's performance was the best.

    And it's a crime di Caprio and Samuel L. Jackson weren't nominated.

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28