Click Here!
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 151
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: All Things:Fairytale Movies

  1. #31
    Adgy's my BITCH! BoobyTrap's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,401
    Liked
    43 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Starring up and comer Emily Browing, the Jane Campion-backed film sees Leigh direct from her own 2008 Black Listed script originally described as “a haunting erotic fairy tale about a student who drifts into prostitution and finds her niche as a woman who sleeps, drugged, in a ‘Sleeping Beauty chamber’ while men do to her what she can‘t remember the next morning.” Mirrah Foulkes, Michael Dorman, Sarak Snook, Rachel Blake and Hugh Keays-Byrne all co-star in the pic, which recently scored a October 28th release date.
    Wow, first of all I find this very disturbing and offensive that this is even being made as a movie, let alone it being called a "fairy tale." What is described up there is pretty much date rape, whether or not she is responsible for her own drugging. Seeing what I see almost everyday in my job, I just find this utterly tasteless.

    And secondly, when did these adult fairy tale "remake" movie seem all the rage all of a sudden?

  2. #32
    Adgy's my BITCH! BoobyTrap's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,401
    Liked
    43 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jerseydevil View Post
    Saw this panel...K-Stew was doing her usual thing, but she seemed a little more animated than usual. Weird vibe between her and Charlize Theron. CT kept going at her, joking but yet kinda ****y too. The concept footage they showed, along with the costuming gave me hope for this. Except for the odd concept art pic, not enough was said about the dwarves. Sadly, it appears that Eddie Izzard had to drop out due to scheduling comflicts.
    You mean see was hunched over and kept on tucking her hair behind her ear the whole time? I find it hard to believe she was a little more "animated" than usual. Maybe she didn't bring enough ganja brownies to last through CC.

  3. #33
    PJ Harvey is God adgy-san's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    36,262
    Liked
    17238 times
    Karma
    1094100
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    269 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BoobyTrap View Post
    Wow, first of all I find this very disturbing and offensive that this is even being made as a movie, let alone it being called a "fairy tale." What is described up there is pretty much date rape, whether or not she is responsible for her own drugging. Seeing what I see almost everyday in my job, I just find this utterly tasteless.
    I guess it could have been put in the drama thread. I didn't spend that much time thinking about it.

    As for the movie itself, I know very little so I won't/can't comment. I'd be interested in hearing what the (female) director's thoughts were, though.

    And secondly, when did these adult fairy tale "remake" movie seem all the rage all of a sudden?
    You know how Hollywood is. One movie makes money, they're going to imitate the **** out of it.

  4. #34
    I'llPutPenniesOnYourEyes jerseydevil's Avatar




    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    34,125
    Liked
    7456 times
    Karma
    1416594
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    788 Post(s)

    Default

    Aren't all these properties public domain. I think that has sooooooo much to do with all of the repeat projects. FairyTales are actually supposed to be really dark. It's only with time that their teeth were removed because children were 'too young' to be told that the world was a scary place and really ****ed up things happen(also fire and good housing in urban areas removed fear of wolves and other bogens). These stories are meant to be cautionary and make children afraid of the things in the night. I like that it has come full circle and the things that a lot of these projects are addressing, such as the controversial Sleeping Beauty movie, reflect real things that children should fear in these modern times. I don't know...thought you would get that more than anyone Booby.
    Last edited by jerseydevil; July 27th, 2011 at 07:49 PM.

  5. #35
    Adgy's my BITCH! BoobyTrap's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,401
    Liked
    43 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jerseydevil View Post
    Aren't all these properties public domain. I think that has sooooooo much to do with all of the repeat projects. FairyTales are actually supposed to be really dark. It's only with time that their teeth were removed because children were 'too young' to be told that the world was a scary place and really ****ed up things happen(also fire and good housing in urban areas removed fear of wolves and other bogens). These stories are meant to be cautionary and make children afraid of the things in the night. I like that it has come full circle and the things that a lot of these projects, such as the controversial Sleeping Beauty movie, reflect real things that children should fear in these modern times. I don't know...thought you would get that more than anyone Booby.
    I don't mind the darkness of the fairy tales, I liked reading the Grimm tales. I somehow think that this is not some sort of cautionary tale where it screams "hey kids, check your drinks for roofies!" I know it's early but I can't consider something like this as art, more like smut. HOWEVER, something like this might drive more women to throw dicks down garbage disposals, soooooooo...there's a little light at the end of the tunnel.

  6. #36
    I'llPutPenniesOnYourEyes jerseydevil's Avatar




    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    34,125
    Liked
    7456 times
    Karma
    1416594
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    788 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BoobyTrap View Post
    I don't mind the darkness of the fairy tales, I liked reading the Grimm tales. I somehow think that this is not some sort of cautionary tale where it screams "hey kids, check your drinks for roofies!" I know it's early but I can't consider something like this as art, more like smut. HOWEVER, something like this might drive more women to throw dicks down garbage disposals, soooooooo...there's a little light at the end of the tunnel.
    Always finding the silver lining...

    But yeah, it may be clumsy metaphorically but I just dig seeing darkness put back into popular culture. If I had a daughter I would not be against her seeing the pitfalls of trusting others in this day and age. A fairytale that preaches check your drinks is pretty much the equivalent of watch for wolves when you are walking thru the forest to grandma's. Different times, same message.


    B.t.w. I'm all for tossing a guys junk down a garbage disposal(with him still attached) in the case of rape. So yeah, there's that.
    Last edited by jerseydevil; July 27th, 2011 at 06:10 PM.

  7. #37
    I'llPutPenniesOnYourEyes jerseydevil's Avatar




    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    34,125
    Liked
    7456 times
    Karma
    1416594
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    788 Post(s)

    Default

    Annnnnnd yet another Snow White flick. Who says originality is dead?

    Michael Gracey to Direct Disney’s China-Set Snow White Film THE ORDER OF THE SEVEN

  8. #38
    I'llPutPenniesOnYourEyes jerseydevil's Avatar




    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    34,125
    Liked
    7456 times
    Karma
    1416594
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    788 Post(s)

  9. #39
    Dolphins Hate Sharks! orpheus's Avatar




    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    17,031
    Liked
    7854 times
    Karma
    2147483647
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)

    Default

    What was the fairy tale movie that set off this trend?
    Only by living absurdly is it possible to break out of this infinite absurdity.
    -Julio Cortazar

  10. #40
    I'llPutPenniesOnYourEyes jerseydevil's Avatar




    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    34,125
    Liked
    7456 times
    Karma
    1416594
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    788 Post(s)

    Default

    Seems to be Snow White that was the 'ground zero' of the 'anything you can do I can do better' streetfight. Somehow though I think that a lot of this was set into motion with the success of Wicked.

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28