Page 108 of 136 FirstFirst ... 8 58 98 106 107 108 109 110 118 ... LastLast
Results 1,071 to 1,080 of 1351
Like Tree2037Likes

Thread: All things: GAME OF THRONES

  1. #1071
    Video Game First Liner Ecktore's Avatar




    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,526
    Liked
    1172 times
    Karma
    1015254
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    96 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SmytheKing View Post
    All well and good...but why do you have a guy save someone from being raped in the last season, and then explain that he killed the last king because he raped his wife............rape someone? He was CLEARLY a person who despised it. Now he does it? There are/were better ways to make you hate the guy or give him some moral ambiguity than having him rape his sister next to their dead son. It was just a poor decision by the people running things to change how it went from the book. When the best the people involved with the decision can come up with was, "well, it was only kind of rape because she was confused", you have to question that judgement.

    Having said that though, it's still odd how THIS is the thing that is being discussed when, in previous seasons, there's been all sorts of rape. Not of the was she into it or not variety either. Straight up tearing off of clothes, submissive, bringing tears to the eyes, violent rape.
    I can't speak for everyone else, but for me, it was the fact that they changed the scene significantly from what it was in the book.

    Rape is a terrible thing, and the author of the books wants his readers to know that terrible things do happen, and somethimes people get away with it. However, they're in the books. For the most part, the show has stuck to the book. And most book readers have loved HBO for that. Having said that, people that have read the books have kept their opinions on the very few changes in the other thread. But this one seems rather significant because it could possibly change the dynamic of relationship between the Lannister Twins.

    If the producers and director were trying to leave the audience guessing as to whether or not it was consentual, they did a terrible job.

  2. #1072
    I'llPutPenniesOnYourEyes jerseydevil's Avatar




    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    35,935
    Liked
    5795 times
    Karma
    1592103
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1236 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SmytheKing View Post
    All well and good...but why do you have a guy save someone from being raped in the last season, and then explain that he killed the last king because he raped his wife............rape someone? He was CLEARLY a person who despised it. Now he does it? There are/were better ways to make you hate the guy or give him some moral ambiguity than having him rape his sister next to their dead son. It was just a poor decision by the people running things to change how it went from the book. When the best the people involved with the decision can come up with was, "well, it was only kind of rape because she was confused", you have to question that judgement.

    Having said that though, it's still odd how THIS is the thing that is being discussed when, in previous seasons, there's been all sorts of rape. Not of the was she into it or not variety either. Straight up tearing off of clothes, submissive, bringing tears to the eyes, violent rape.
    Well, if you want to take it further...Theon was nearly raped as well. I mean the whole show is pretty much about violence towards the weak(rhymes with Reek) not just women. As toward your points about Jaime, I am not sure he would see what he did as rape. The affair between the two of them has never been painted as loving, as much as lustful, whether books or tv show. I guess that is why I didn't flinch as hard as the rest of you did. I saw it more as they have a sick relationship to begin with and the overall ickiness of the whole thing was a symptom/reminder of that. Say what you will but Coster-Waldau's portrayal of Ser Jaime has almost been too sympathetic to this point. Combine that with the good he has done and losing the hand...I am thinking that maybe the showrunners needed to put that doubt back in your head about what kind of person he is.

    And maybe it's my hatred of Cersei, but I saw it also as her using sex as a weapon as well. Like I said, it's a diseased relationship.
    Last edited by jerseydevil; April 21st, 2014 at 12:37 PM.
    NastiMarvasti likes this.

  3. #1073
    Shiny! mmmcammy's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    6,217
    Liked
    1726 times
    Karma
    1343898
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    88 Post(s)

    Default

    I know it was 4/20 yesterday and everything, but dude...what the hell is this guy smoking?

    He probably shouldn't be directing if he was going for consensual and that's what they ended up with.
    Annapurna likes this.
    "Hockey won't hold still to give you a better look. You wouldn't want it to anyway. It's the action that makes the possibilities endless."

  4. #1074
    Let's hug it out, bitch! NastiMarvasti's Avatar




    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    7,394
    Liked
    1412 times
    Karma
    1113854
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    301 Post(s)

    Default

    Personally, I did see it as Cersei being stuck in the middle of yes and no. I thought that came across pretty well. She wasn't REALLY fighting him off so I see what JD is saying about her using sex. Obviously, Jaime shouldn't have continued and his character lost that positive momentum he was building but I didn't have as much of a problem with the scene as others seem to.
    jerseydevil likes this.

  5. #1075
    Team Melf. Dexter's Avatar



    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    5,778
    Liked
    1802 times
    Karma
    25051
    Images
    4
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    263 Post(s)

    Default

    OMG SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

    That Podrick/ Tyrion scene was soo sad and perfect. By far the best part of the episode.


    and last week OMG SPOILERS!!!!

    Last edited by Dexter; April 21st, 2014 at 06:17 PM.
    jerseydevil and BigBrown like this.
    Support Be the Match through Tanner's site

    http://www.bethematchfoundation.org/...&team_id=23513

  6. #1076
    Little Priest Noble Savage's Avatar




    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,251
    Liked
    331 times
    Karma
    1031400
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    55 Post(s)

    Default

    Anyone written the GoT fanfic "The Lost Adventures of Podrick Payne" yet?
    jerseydevil likes this.

  7. #1077
    Over the rail! Fropitar's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,812
    Liked
    462 times
    Karma
    1181958
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    234 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ecktore View Post
    Yeah, i'm almost jealous of you non-book readers......Being able to speculate and all.
    I love watching the show viewers go through all the moments I did. So much juicy goodness to come, I'm glad the split the 3rd book into two seasons.
    jerseydevil, VCRW, Ecktore and 1 others like this.

  8. #1078
    Classic player VCRW's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    11,858
    Liked
    6594 times
    Karma
    901014825
    Images
    15
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1539 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ecktore View Post
    Yeah, i'm almost jealous of you non-book readers......Being able to speculate and all.
    Book readers have their own thread in which anything goes and there you guys are free to discuss how silly and misguided we speculators really are.

    But the fact remains that the show's writers are interpreting Martin's work and adapting it for television. They are not bound to the books as immutable gospels.

    Comparisons to the plot lines in the books and comments on the appropriateness of divergence from the books' story lines are somewhat irrelevant to the successful enjoyment of the HBO television series.
    Ecktore likes this.

  9. #1079
    Video Game First Liner Ecktore's Avatar




    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,526
    Liked
    1172 times
    Karma
    1015254
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    96 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VCRW View Post
    Book readers have their own thread in which anything goes and there you guys are free to discuss how silly and misguided we speculators really are.

    But the fact remains that the show's writers are interpreting Martin's work and adapting it for television. They are not bound to the books as immutable gospels.

    Comparisons to the plot lines in the books and comments on the appropriateness of divergence from the books' story lines are somewhat irrelevant to the successful enjoyment of the HBO television series.
    Yeah, I understand what you're saying. I agree that all of us book readers should keep our comments about changes in that other thread.
    VCRW likes this.

  10. #1080
    I'llPutPenniesOnYourEyes jerseydevil's Avatar




    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    35,935
    Liked
    5795 times
    Karma
    1592103
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1236 Post(s)

    Default

    See, I disagree with this, as long as IT IS ONLY CONCERNING EVENTS THAT HAVE HAPPENED ON THE SHOW I think that discussing book to screen differences is entirely valid. What else would we have to talk about here? And yes they have managed to mirror a LOT of the source material while actually tightening it up in a lot of places. But when they go as far off as some perceive they did the other night...it bears discussion. And I don't think it should be relegated to the books thread. Look, folks bring up changes to the Walking Dead over in the AMC thread and nobody complains. Pretending that one exists without the other is pointless, as long as those who have read the books are respectful to those that haven't, it creates conversation. Otherwise we are all just saying how we liked or hated the episode...and that'll get boring fast.
    Dexter, mmmcammy and BigBrown like this.

Page 108 of 136 FirstFirst ... 8 58 98 106 107 108 109 110 118 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28