Page 115 of 136 FirstFirst ... 1565105113114115116117125 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,150 of 1356
Like Tree2040Likes

Thread: All things: GAME OF THRONES

  1. #1141
    Classic player VCRW's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    11,863
    Liked
    6602 times
    Karma
    901014825
    Images
    15
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1540 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jom View Post
    Disagree. Jamie going out of his way to help Brienne last season is just one example. Also, the fact the subject didn't even get brought up in the next week's episode tells me the same. Even if the director admitted it was supposed to be a rape they still screwed up. I guess fans will look at the Jamie character differently but he is supposed to be a character who you grow to like as the story progresses...not this. Oh well....

    jom
    What do you mean "supposed to be"? Because of the books? Different medium, different story. It doesn't matter to me if I ever grow to like Jamie.

  2. #1142
    Little Priest Noble Savage's Avatar




    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,257
    Liked
    338 times
    Karma
    1031400
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

    Default

    Well now. A couple of my coworkers now call the show 'Game of Rapes' and asked me who I thought was going to get violently sexed against their will this week. Craster's Wives again? Cersei? Or someone new? Hodor? [sigh]
    Seriously HBO, step your game up.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  3. #1143
    jom
    jom is offline
    Dorkus Malorkus jom's Avatar




    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    6,669
    Liked
    631 times
    Karma
    1121031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    241 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VCRW View Post
    What do you mean "supposed to be"? Because of the books? Different medium, different story. It doesn't matter to me if I ever grow to like Jamie.
    Books and TV show. As I pointed out before a "rape" is out of Jaime's wheelhouse as depicted in the show. It's contradictory to what happened with Brienne. It turns out that is the way it is in the books as well.

    jom

  4. #1144
    Classic player VCRW's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    11,863
    Liked
    6602 times
    Karma
    901014825
    Images
    15
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1540 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Noble Savage View Post
    Well now. A couple of my coworkers now call the show 'Game of Rapes' and asked me who I thought was going to get violently sexed against their will this week. Craster's Wives again? Cersei? Or someone new? Hodor? [sigh]
    Seriously HBO, step your game up.
    Exactly. Sexual violence is totally commonplace in this world. One semi-rape should have no greater shock value that any abuse of women that has been depicted over the last 4 seasons.

    Quote Originally Posted by jom View Post
    Books and TV show. As I pointed out before a "rape" is out of Jaime's wheelhouse as depicted in the show. It's contradictory to what happened with Brienne. It turns out that is the way it is in the books as well.
    In my experience, Jaime is an odious character. He stabbed a King in the back in a cowardly act. He has been engaged in an ongoing incestuous relationship that produced a monster. He attempted to murder Bran without a single moment of hesitation. He is obsessed with his sister. So... rape is definitely in the scope of his character. If you, as a book reader, are trying to foreshadow his future journey to redemption, I would rather not hear about it. I would, however, be happy to see both Cersei's and Jaime's heads on a pole. Screw all the Lannisters but Tyrion.
    Byatch1979 and Noble Savage like this.

  5. #1145
    I'llPutPenniesOnYourEyes jerseydevil's Avatar




    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    36,279
    Liked
    6007 times
    Karma
    1622103
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1292 Post(s)

    Default

    Careful...the Jamie stuff there(book arc) is a little spoilery and maybe belongs in the other thread. I thought we had moved on from this. I think it's going to continue to be divisive due to the questionable handling of it and the multiple interpretations that were a result thereof. There is no real answer to this argument...

    Meanwhile 4 hrs to new episode and I for one am really interested to see if they stray even further from what we know.
    VCRW and BigBrown like this.

  6. #1146
    jom
    jom is offline
    Dorkus Malorkus jom's Avatar




    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    6,669
    Liked
    631 times
    Karma
    1121031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    241 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VCRW View Post
    Exactly. Sexual violence is totally commonplace in this world. One semi-rape should have no greater shock value that any abuse of women that has been depicted over the last 4 seasons.



    In my experience, Jaime is an odious character. He stabbed a King in the back in a cowardly act. He has been engaged in an ongoing incestuous relationship that produced a monster. He attempted to murder Bran without a single moment of hesitation. He is obsessed with his sister. So... rape is definitely in the scope of his character. If you, as a book reader, are trying to foreshadow his future journey to redemption, I would rather not hear about it. I would, however, be happy to see both Cersei's and Jaime's heads on a pole. Screw all the Lannisters but Tyrion.
    IMO...you're wrong. Regardless of the books Jaime is being moved toward a more sympathetic character whether you see it or not. It clearly started out bad: incest, trying to kill Bran. Toward a less odious character (if you will) after the explanation of his killing his King and helping Brienne etc etc. Hell, they even continued this trend in the episode last Sunday. So this has already happened in show and therefore is NOT based on any "future journey" at all.

    jom

  7. #1147
    Little Priest Noble Savage's Avatar




    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,257
    Liked
    338 times
    Karma
    1031400
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

    Default

    I can see both sides to this one, I've never personally liked Jaime but I do see them trying to polish him up for the audience.
    I think that the show writers are blundering these past two episodes with how viewers think about the Kingslayer.

    I also think it's incredibly heavyhanded for them to spend so much damn time on how evil the mutineers are Craster's are.
    Yeah, we get it. . . they're evil. Do we really need to spend more time with them 'raping til death' torturing helpless folks, (in the past) killing Lord Mormont, etc. etc.??
    I think maybe there are other parts of the story you could spend those minutes on instead of this heavy anvil of atrocities, all just for the sake of establishing these folks as evil.
    VCRW likes this.

  8. #1148
    Classic player VCRW's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    11,863
    Liked
    6602 times
    Karma
    901014825
    Images
    15
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1540 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jom View Post
    IMO...you're wrong. Regardless of the books Jaime is being moved toward a more sympathetic character whether you see it or not. It clearly started out bad: incest, trying to kill Bran. Toward a less odious character (if you will) after the explanation of his killing his King and helping Brienne etc etc. Hell, they even continued this trend in the episode last Sunday. So this has already happened in show and therefore is NOT based on any "future journey" at all.
    Wrong? Please...

    Sorry, but my interpretation of the Jaime character is equally as valid as yours. He is only nice to Brienne because he sees in her what he can never be again. So he gives her his sword and Lannister armour and sends her to save Sansa instead of going himself. But he is still more concerned with his page entries in the great book than with real life.

    The fact that Jaime had to be coerced and shamed by Bronn to visit Tyrion in the dungeon also says a lot about the intrinsic shallowness of the the Jaime character. And when finally he does speak to Tyrion, Jaime remains self-absorbed and pathetic. Beginning a too long delayed conversation with your unjustly incarcerated brother with, "At least you have a pot to piss in", speaks volumes about Jaime's lack of concern with the gravity of events affecting lives other than his own. He is a flawed and constitutionally weak man hiding behind his high born family position.

    Last season, I was hoping the bear was gonna win. I have no emotional investment in his survival, nor the survival of his sister and father.

  9. #1149
    jom
    jom is offline
    Dorkus Malorkus jom's Avatar




    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    6,669
    Liked
    631 times
    Karma
    1121031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    241 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VCRW View Post
    Wrong? Please...

    Sorry, but my interpretation of the Jaime character is equally as valid as yours. He is only nice to Brienne because he sees in her what he can never be again. So he gives her his sword and Lannister armour and sends her to save Sansa instead of going himself. But he is still more concerned with his page entries in the great book than with real life.

    The fact that Jaime had to be coerced and shamed by Bronn to visit Tyrion in the dungeon also says a lot about the intrinsic shallowness of the the Jaime character. And when finally he does speak to Tyrion, Jaime remains self-absorbed and pathetic. Beginning a too long delayed conversation with your unjustly incarcerated brother with, "At least you have a pot to piss in", speaks volumes about Jaime's lack of concern with the gravity of events affecting lives other than his own. He is a flawed and constitutionally weak man hiding behind his high born family position.

    Last season, I was hoping the bear was gonna win. I have no emotional investment in his survival, nor the survival of his sister and father.
    Let's agree to disagree.

    jom
    VCRW likes this.

  10. #1150
    Classic player VCRW's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    11,863
    Liked
    6602 times
    Karma
    901014825
    Images
    15
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1540 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jom View Post
    Let's agree to disagree.
    Fine. I am not baiting you like the bear but simply pointing out multiple possibilities for experiencing and interpreting a story line/character development.

    Those of us for whom the unraveling story is a complete surprise do not have our imaginations constrained by the pen of G.R.R. Martin. Perhaps the writers, directors and producers don't either.
    jom likes this.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66