Page 43 of 136 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393 ... LastLast
Results 421 to 430 of 1356
Like Tree2040Likes

Thread: All things: GAME OF THRONES

  1. #421
    I'llPutPenniesOnYourEyes jerseydevil's Avatar




    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    36,300
    Liked
    6037 times
    Karma
    1622103
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1303 Post(s)

    Default

    Season 2 suffered from being the 'setup'. You are reaping the rewards of book3 which most consider the best, because it is the 'payoff' book, more or less. And Benioff/Weiss deserve the utmost credit...they are tremendous jugglers/editors and last nights episode was masterful.

    I really liked when Jamie was talking about Renly and said 'you can't choose who you love' or something to that effect. Yet, and if you are out there Darby...weigh in, there are those who hate him.
    Ecktore likes this.

  2. #422
    Hating ties is dumb. Dr. Naysay's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    19,244
    Liked
    1366 times
    Karma
    1058297
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    125 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jerseydevil View Post
    Do you feel sorry for him?
    Sure.

    Do you find yourself liking him despite the incest and pushing Bran off the tower?
    I always like characters that have no delusions about who they are.

    And Theon, responsible for the deaths of the two farmers sons, although he looked rightly repulsed by his actions. Does he deserve to suffer?
    I hate Theon.

    How do you guys FEEL about the more borderline(morally) characters? Are there characters that you HATE, that no matter what horrors befall them, you could never feel anything for?
    That's why I love this show so much. There doesn't appear to be one purely "uncompromised" character and there are precious few "purely evil" characters. That and they don't seem to be holding back at all. Without giving details.... are the books any more grizzly? I'm thinking of The Walked Dead where the TV Show is a pale pale comparison to the comic books.
    jerseydevil and Ecktore like this.

  3. #423
    1st Scoring Line BigBrown's Avatar




    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,681
    Liked
    463 times
    Karma
    1085400
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    59 Post(s)

    Default

    I was developing sympathy for Jamie until he murdered that kid who clearly looked up to him, when he was imprisoned. I'm all for doing whatever it takes but that was pretty cold.

    I still like him though, I like villains! Joffrey excluded of course, but I do love to hate that vile kid. Jamie has several traits which are fun to observe, like his charm and dry sense of humor. But I certainly don't feel sorry for him for having his hand cut off, even though it happened after he did what was his first act of good that I can remember in the whole show. Théon I'm struggling with, it's just that I haven't seen any sides of him that I like. Even when he was with the Starks he didn't do anything to endear himself to me other than saving Bran from the Wildlings.
    jerseydevil and Ecktore like this.

  4. #424
    I'llPutPenniesOnYourEyes jerseydevil's Avatar




    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    36,300
    Liked
    6037 times
    Karma
    1622103
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1303 Post(s)

    Default

    No Doc, the show has actually gone more out of the way to be grizzly if anything. The almost forest rape for example. No love for Theon. Wow. maybe the books did a better job, although I don't think so. Nobody feels for the fact that he from what, 7? was NOT a part of two families? That, despite all his bravado, nobody sees him as anything but a joke, a pretender? No sympathy for, imo, the most human/relatable character in the bunch? Me, I loves a good conflicted mess of a character. I want to take him in like the stray that he is. None of you feel that???? A shame on your houses...
    Ecktore likes this.

  5. #425
    Hating ties is dumb. Dr. Naysay's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    19,244
    Liked
    1366 times
    Karma
    1058297
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    125 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jerseydevil View Post
    No Doc, the show has actually gone more out of the way to be grizzly if anything. The almost forest rape for example. No love for Theon. Wow. maybe the books did a better job, although I don't think so. Nobody feels for the fact that he from what, 7? was NOT a part of two families? That, despite all his bravado, nobody sees him as anything but a joke, a pretender? No sympathy for, imo, the most human/relatable character in the bunch? Me, I loves a good conflicted mess of a character. I want to take him in like the stray that he is. None of you feel that???? A shame on your houses...
    I USED to feel a little sympathy for him.... then he did what he did to Winterfell.

    Now... **** that guy.

  6. #426
    1st Scoring Line BigBrown's Avatar




    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,681
    Liked
    463 times
    Karma
    1085400
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    59 Post(s)

    Default

    I get why I should feel sympathy for him, I just... don't. I think it's likely that the books do him more justice, and I'm gonna read them one day.

  7. #427
    I'llPutPenniesOnYourEyes jerseydevil's Avatar




    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    36,300
    Liked
    6037 times
    Karma
    1622103
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1303 Post(s)

    Default

    I still think Theon was trying to be something to someone. And the guy that was advising him led him astray and then fed him to the dogs. Yes, ultimately his decisions led to the sack of Winterfell and many deaths, but I still see the little boy in him that just wanted someone to be proud of him. The Starks seemed ambivalent at best and the Greyjoys were hideous in 'welcoming' him back. I'm sorry, maybe it says something about me, but I will defend Theon till the end.
    Ecktore likes this.

  8. #428
    Hating ties is dumb. Dr. Naysay's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    19,244
    Liked
    1366 times
    Karma
    1058297
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    125 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jerseydevil View Post
    I still think Theon was trying to be something to someone. And the guy that was advising him led him astray and then fed him to the dogs. Yes, ultimately his decisions led to the sack of Winterfell and many deaths, but I still see the little boy in him that just wanted someone to be proud of him. The Starks seemed ambivalent at best and the Greyjoys were hideous in 'welcoming' him back. I'm sorry, maybe it says something about me, but I will defend Theon till the end.
    I feel sympathy for little kids that are growing up in tough environments with ****ty parents etc....

    but if they steal my car and take it on a joyride and accidentally kill a bunch of people and burn my house to the ground?

    **** that kid. Death penalty.

  9. #429
    One Marmot, Two Cups darby's Avatar




    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    11,797
    Liked
    471 times
    Karma
    1089400
    Images
    5
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    155 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jerseydevil View Post
    I really liked when Jamie was talking about Renly and said 'you can't choose who you love' or something to that effect. Yet, and if you are out there Darby...weigh in, there are those who hate him.
    It's not that I hate Jamie. In the books, I'm just sick of him. I read him as a bit wishy-washy. And it's kind of poor-litte-rich-boy for me.

    In the show, he's got a bit of that, but he brings more acceptance and he owns who he is. There's an irony about him. And like Samuel L said, personality goes a long way.





    Theon, I find, is the opposite. I like him more in the books. In the show, though, he's slimier. But even when it comes to the book version, I'm with Doc. The guy has a choice. He chooses what he wants and therefore who he wants to be and all that comes with it. He decides. Unfortunately he's chosen to act like the big dog and it seems he's come up against a bigger, meaner dog.


    "Only a numbskull thinks he knows things about things he knows nothing about."
    "It's understanding that makes it possible for people like us to tolerate a person like yourself."

  10. #430
    Concussed Villain Mondo Blando's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    8,272
    Liked
    1728 times
    Karma
    1411926
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1052 Post(s)

    Default

    All Stark's must die (cept Arya).
    gescom likes this.

Page 43 of 136 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66