One of television's biggest horror hits is coming to life at Universal Hollywood's Halloween Horror Nights. The Walking Dead will be invading the park later this month, assaulting attendees on two fronts: With the maze, The Walking Dead: Dead Inside, and the Terror Tram tour.
This week, creative director John Murdy took select members of the press - including Shock Till You Drop - on a tour of the maze. After the jump, gain access to our photo gallery and check out a video of one of the gruesome rooms attendees will be stepping through.
In our tour, we learned:
•Dead Inside is based on the first two seasons of the hit AMC series.
• Greg Nicotero of KNB EFX (he's also directing episodes of The Walking Dead) is in constant contact with Murdy and watching over the maze's production.
• Murdy and his team were able to use the same FX molds and sound effects as those used on the show.
• Your journey through the maze begins with the hospital Rick Grimes wakes up in and ends at Herschel's barn.
• You'll meet "bicycle girl." Other highlights include the tank sequence (complete with half-eaten horse), the deer-eating zombie and the well zombie.
• Murdy originally wanted to recreate the car-riddle highway from season 2, but pulling it off proved to be too ambitious. It would take up way too much space.
• Over 2,000 prosthetic appliances will be used on this maze alone through the event's run from September through October.
• The maze will incorporate the smell of decaying corpses.