Click Here!
Page 116 of 222 FirstFirst ... 16 66 106 114 115 116 117 118 126 166 216 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,160 of 2218
Like Tree521Likes

Thread: All Things HORROR

  1. #1151
    I'llPutPenniesOnYourEyes jerseydevil's Avatar




    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    35,447
    Liked
    5360 times
    Karma
    1572103
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1133 Post(s)

    Default

    I do think it was the logical conclusion and very 'Chess in the snow' if you catch my drift.

  2. #1152
    Hating ties is dumb. Dr. Naysay's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    19,241
    Liked
    1366 times
    Karma
    1058297
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    122 Post(s)

    Default

    I'm afraid I don't...

  3. #1153
    I'llPutPenniesOnYourEyes jerseydevil's Avatar




    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    35,447
    Liked
    5360 times
    Karma
    1572103
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1133 Post(s)

    Default

    Sorry, been a long day...meant drinking jack in the snow.


  4. #1154
    Hating ties is dumb. Dr. Naysay's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    19,241
    Liked
    1366 times
    Karma
    1058297
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    122 Post(s)

    Default

    Yea but two totally different movies. I love that ending if it's The Thing or even something like The Mist.

    But for Cabin In The Woods? I wanted more fun. Whatever. It's not enough to make me like the movie any less.

    You don't always get everything you want exactly the way you want it.

  5. #1155
    I'llPutPenniesOnYourEyes jerseydevil's Avatar




    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    35,447
    Liked
    5360 times
    Karma
    1572103
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1133 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Naysay View Post
    Yea but two totally different movies. I love that ending if it's The Thing or even something like The Mist.

    But for Cabin In The Woods? I wanted more fun. Whatever. It's not enough to make me like the movie any less.

    You don't always get everything you want exactly the way you want it.

    That's a good point. Too heavy for the overall tone??? I don't know. The movie has some serious change-ups throughout the course of, and for me, it worked. Anything else would have rang hollow. That's just me though.

  6. #1156
    I'llPutPenniesOnYourEyes jerseydevil's Avatar




    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    35,447
    Liked
    5360 times
    Karma
    1572103
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1133 Post(s)

    Default

    Collins’ Crypt: Yes, THE CABIN IN THE WOODS Is Horror| Badass Digest

    I could go on and on, because this is the first horror film in years that I've been truly blown away by, and there's plenty to discuss and chew over, but this (very small and thankfully not too vocal) "backlash" really bummed me out. I don't care if you don't like the movie - no movie is ever going to satisfy everyone, certainly not a horror movie (one that requires a little brain activity to boot). But the dismissals I see from usually clear-thinking folks are in some ways more upsetting than Rex Reed's now legendary and hilariously inept review, because some of them (not Vern's, I should stress) almost seem to be of the opinion that the film can't be considered horror simply because it's intelligent. One point of the film is that we NEED horror movies to keep the world from descending into chaos - because of that, The Cabin In The Woods has done more to validate the genre than you, I, or any other horror critic ever will.

  7. #1157
    Hating ties is dumb. Dr. Naysay's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    19,241
    Liked
    1366 times
    Karma
    1058297
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    122 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jerseydevil View Post
    That's a good point. Too heavy for the overall tone??? I don't know. The movie has some serious change-ups throughout the course of, and for me, it worked. Anything else would have rang hollow. That's just me though.
    Not too heavy... too anticlimactic. I know that may sound crazy given the scope of the climax... but that's a macguffin. They really just end the story in a blah manner. Again it's just about pacing for me. The stakes are so high and the action has just been ramping up and up and up and then.... piff. It's over. I guess I would have preferred an ending that had some manner of epilogue.

    I disagree. I think it was a comedy.

  8. #1158
    I'llPutPenniesOnYourEyes jerseydevil's Avatar




    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    35,447
    Liked
    5360 times
    Karma
    1572103
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1133 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Naysay View Post
    Not too heavy... too anticlimactic. I know that may sound crazy given the scope of the climax... but that's a macguffin. They really just end the story in a blah manner. Again it's just about pacing for me. The stakes are so high and the action has just been ramping up and up and up and then.... piff. It's over. I guess I would have preferred an ending that had some manner of epilogue.



    I disagree. I think it was a comedy.

    Ok...so the ending was too abrupt. Almost like they painted themselves into a corner? I get that argument too, I just can't see any alternative to where they went coming off as anything other than a cop out. The ending you are looking for just may not exist. As I have expressed, I fully bit on the ending because it was atypical of your standard Hollywood 'let's set up the sequel' finale'. And, let's face it, as evidenced by the Thing and The Mist, most moviegoers don't want that harsh glass of cold water to the face kind of ending. They want to go home happy and content in their belief that all's well that ends well. So yeah, I am probably more in love with the ending than I should be.

    And no, it wasn't a comedy. It had elements...but if I am filing this in my (non-existent) video store, that puppy goes on the horror shelf.

  9. #1159
    Hating ties is dumb. Dr. Naysay's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    19,241
    Liked
    1366 times
    Karma
    1058297
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    122 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jerseydevil View Post
    Ok...so the ending was too abrupt. Almost like they painted themselves into a corner? I get that argument too, I just can't see any alternative to where they went coming off as anything other than a cop out. The ending you are looking for just may not exist. As I have expressed, I fully bit on the ending because it was atypical of your standard Hollywood 'let's set up the sequel' finale'. And, let's face it, as evidenced by the Thing and The Mist, most moviegoers don't want that harsh glass of cold water to the face kind of ending. They want to go home happy and content in their belief that all's well that ends well. So yeah, I am probably more in love with the ending than I should be.

    And no, it wasn't a comedy. It had elements...but if I am filing this in my (non-existent) video store, that puppy goes on the horror shelf.
    I just want to stress again that my mild displeasure with the ending in no way diminishes my fondness for the movie. I still love it.

    I guess I just wanted more movie.

    As for comedy vs. horror.

    I dunno... I look at it like Ghostbusters. The subject matter is "horror stuff" but tonally it was more about humor than trauma.

  10. #1160
    Concussed Villain Mondo Blando's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    8,242
    Liked
    1661 times
    Karma
    1386926
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1025 Post(s)

    Default

    I found it more charming and "cool" than funny. Weren't all of the comedic elements played directly off of mocking/embracing horror cliches?

    To me a it was a loving parody that wasn't really "funny", and it wasn't really a pure "horror" film in the sense that it intentionally made it's "horror" moments blatantly obvious so that it could direct your attention to the intended deconstruction of the genre.

    I had a blast watching it. But since it revels in its own cleverness, it kind of opens the door to examining just how clever it really is. A movie like Scream also managed to mock and hug horror at the same time, without ever seeming like it was trying to be the smartest movie in the room. Cabin has that geeky, snarky kind of element to it, and, well, it just sort of invites you to question it moreso than just accepting it as a thrill ride.
    jerseydevil likes this.

Page 116 of 222 FirstFirst ... 16 66 106 114 115 116 117 118 126 166 216 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66