Page 178 of 190 FirstFirst ... 78128168176177178179180188 ... LastLast
Results 1,771 to 1,780 of 1893
Like Tree1099Likes

Thread: All Things:Science Fiction/Fantasy

  1. #1771
    PJ Harvey is God adgy-san's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    37,076
    Liked
    11046 times
    Karma
    1179100
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    446 Post(s)

  2. #1772
    Iím sicka the high hat!! santiclaws's Avatar




    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    14,995
    Liked
    14946 times
    Karma
    2116663
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1091 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jerseydevil View Post
    I bought Snowpiercer, the INSTANT I saw Amazon had it. Gonna watch that **** in line with Smytheking and Kingsqueen.

    I'll start with the SPOILER ALERT conversation as far as Snowpiercer. LOVED it because of the tremendous 'world creating' and Carpentarian ending. What exactly brought it down? Acting was great, technically impressive with a hell of a sound design. Not sure I understand the almost 'meh' opinions.
    Just saw it yesterday, and while it was better than "meh" I did not think it was all that. First, I don't think Captain America is much of an actor, so there's that. I think his acting range consists of about two expressions. Maybe three. Second, immediately apparent plot holes that you can drive a train through bug me: [SPOILERS] Where is the train getting an endless supply of fuel, especially given the fact that it apparently hauling ass for 18 years straight? A nuclear engine? That would create its own problems. What happens with mechanical failures on the outside of the train if it is sealed? Given the conditions, including the train bursting through ice on a regular basis and the fact that the train has been running at high speed continuously for 18 years, there would be significant mechanical failures to the axles, wheels, etc. What happens? They acknowledged mechanical failures of the engine and attempted to explain them away with replacing mechanical engine parts with small children (!!), so presumably the train is not indestructible. To a lesser extent, how the hell does everyone survive eating nothing but pure protein? And how are there fat people in the back if all they're eating is just a ration of protein??

    EDIT: I was looking up how much fuel a nuclear sub carries for the purposes of this discussion, so if you're reading this, wave at your friendly neighborhood NSA analyst.
    adgy-san likes this.

  3. #1773
    I'llPutPenniesOnYourEyes jerseydevil's Avatar




    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    36,842
    Liked
    6388 times
    Karma
    1657103
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1419 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by santiclaws View Post
    Just saw it yesterday, and while it was better than "meh" I did not think it was all that. First, I don't think Captain America is much of an actor, so there's that. I think his acting range consists of about two expressions. Maybe three. Second, immediately apparent plot holes that you can drive a train through bug me: [SPOILERS] Where is the train getting an endless supply of fuel, especially given the fact that it apparently hauling ass for 18 years straight? A nuclear engine? That would create its own problems. What happens with mechanical failures on the outside of the train if it is sealed? Given the conditions, including the train bursting through ice on a regular basis and the fact that the train has been running at high speed continuously for 18 years, there would be significant mechanical failures to the axles, wheels, etc. What happens? They acknowledged mechanical failures of the engine and attempted to explain them away with replacing mechanical engine parts with small children (!!), so presumably the train is not indestructible. To a lesser extent, how the hell does everyone survive eating nothing but pure protein? And how are there fat people in the back if all they're eating is just a ration of protein??

    EDIT: I was looking up how much fuel a nuclear sub carries for the purposes of this discussion, so if you're reading this, wave at your friendly neighborhood NSA analyst.

    I thought it was some sort of perpetual motion engine, hence the need to replace 'parts'. Honestly I suspended disbelief and wasn't looking to deconstruct the movie. If you want to get nitpicky you forgot or missed the MOST GLARING inconsistency...if the train had, what appeared to be a state of the art dentistry car, why in the hell did Tilda Swinton have a pair of choppers straight from the G. Washington line?

  4. #1774
    Iím sicka the high hat!! santiclaws's Avatar




    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    14,995
    Liked
    14946 times
    Karma
    2116663
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1091 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jerseydevil View Post
    I thought it was some sort of perpetual motion engine, hence the need to replace 'parts'. Honestly I suspended disbelief and wasn't looking to deconstruct the movie. If you want to get nitpicky you forgot or missed the MOST GLARING inconsistency...if the train had, what appeared to be a state of the art dentistry car, why in the hell did Tilda Swinton have a pair of choppers straight from the G. Washington line?
    Yeah, I know they mentioned a "perpetual motion" engine. I gave the movie the benefit of the doubt to take it to mean that it is perpetually in motion, not that it was built in complete defiance of the laws of physics. I generally don't have a problem suspending disbelief, but sometimes these things jump out at me... As for the choppers, that I don't have a problem with. They may have had the equivalent of a modern dental office but not the capability to do things a modern dentist would send to a lab to be done, like bridgework which requires the manufacture of a custom bridge and such.

  5. #1775
    I'llPutPenniesOnYourEyes jerseydevil's Avatar




    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    36,842
    Liked
    6388 times
    Karma
    1657103
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1419 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by santiclaws View Post
    Yeah, I know they mentioned a "perpetual motion" engine. I gave the movie the benefit of the doubt to take it to mean that it is perpetually in motion, not that it was built in complete defiance of the laws of physics. I generally don't have a problem suspending disbelief, but sometimes these things jump out at me... As for the choppers, that I don't have a problem with. They may have had the equivalent of a modern dental office but not the capability to do things a modern dentist would send to a lab to be done, like bridgework which requires the manufacture of a custom bridge and such.
    Wow, you are really kinda overthinking it aren't you? I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition...


  6. #1776
    PJ Harvey is God adgy-san's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    37,076
    Liked
    11046 times
    Karma
    1179100
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    446 Post(s)

    Default

    SNOWPIERCER SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


    For me, the biggest leap in faith was: babies tasting best. Really? Aren't they mostly just fat? C'mon.

    jerseydevil likes this.

  7. #1777
    I'llPutPenniesOnYourEyes jerseydevil's Avatar




    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    36,842
    Liked
    6388 times
    Karma
    1657103
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1419 Post(s)

    Default

    SPOILERS continued...


    One thing you never want to have to confess...'I know what people taste like'. But seriously, I thought that was a very OLDBOY-esque moment, followed by Ed Freaking Harris in a kimono just continuing to pull the rug out from under our 'hero'. That, above all else, really sold the movie for me and allowed me to not dig so deep into unraveling the piece. Was it shaky? Sure...most sci-fi is. But I just kinda believe in the 'anything can happen' unwritten rule of the genre. Zardoz, Rollerball*...hell name a sci fi movie you cannot dismiss by applying real world rules to.

    *yes, I understand these are not mainstream choices...sue me.

  8. #1778
    Iím sicka the high hat!! santiclaws's Avatar




    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    14,995
    Liked
    14946 times
    Karma
    2116663
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1091 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by adgy-san View Post
    SNOWPIERCER SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


    For me, the biggest leap in faith was: babies tasting best. Really? Aren't they mostly just fat? C'mon.

    That's what makes them so tender and juicy.
    jerseydevil likes this.

  9. #1779
    Team LGK




    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,862
    Liked
    1126 times
    Karma
    1394497
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    224 Post(s)

    Default

    Response to SPOILER:

    Fat is flavor.
    jerseydevil likes this.

  10. #1780
    PJ Harvey is God adgy-san's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    37,076
    Liked
    11046 times
    Karma
    1179100
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    446 Post(s)

    Default

    Yeah, but... you want it to flavor something, right? You don't just eat that **** straight. Unless you're making cracklins or something. Was he making cracklins?
    jerseydevil likes this.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65