Amazing season overall. 12 episodes is much too short though but they made it work.Originally Posted by ucsdguy1
Audrey's death was unnecessary and you could see it coming because after Kate killed the sniper, they decided that it would be a good idea to take their sweet ass time getting back to CTU because they decided to take a stroll in the park. I felt that her death was unnecessary because Jack didn't need that extra motivation to go ape**** on Cheng. Jack and Audrey have both already been tortured by Cheng for over a year, that should be reason enough to kill him, no? But it's just 24 doing what it does best... and that's to make sure that Jack never has his happy ending. Heller said it himself a few seasons back. Everything that Jack Bauer touches eventually dies.
Those Russians sure are sneaky. So they apparently knew about Jack, Belcheck, and Chloe's secret raid on Cheng so that they could capture Chloe at the last minute? That part makes no sense, but that's the problem with only having 12 episodes. Speaking of Cheng, it was just sloppy writing overall at the end. He wanted the guy to start the boat. But just because the boat is leaving, doesn't mean that Jack or CTU will stop pursuing him.
I could go on and on, but I'll stop since not too many LGKers seem to watch 24.
Pros and Cons of the season...
- Jack was a bad ass as usual. Not sure what his kill count was this season, definitely has to be more than 20. His acting is as good as ever.
- Kate was great. I did wish that they let her do more, but she's literally a female Jack Bauer. Plus, I love Yvonne Strahavski anyway so my view on her is obviously skewed in her favor.
- Unpredictable. It was a fun ride and definitely had lots of twists and turns, 24 style. Sure, us die-hards can see it coming a mile away sometimes but that doesn't mean it's not fun. It just feels that a lot of shows on network TV can be so much better. At least 24 delivers in that department and doesn't hold back.
- Looking back at this short season, the Margot Al-Harazi arc was too long. Not enough time for Adrian Cross, Steve Navarro, Cheng Zhi, & Russians to really make their mark.
- Prime Minister Alastair took a backseat in his own country. I felt that he could have been in more scenes and maybe even in the same room with Heller most (if not at ALL times) because they're in the UK for crying out loud.
- Belcheck was a mystery and they didn't explain why he is so loyal to Jack. He just shows up to help Jack whenever he's needed, a bit too convenient. If I recall, in the first two episodes of the season.. Chloe asked Jack where he had been for the last 4 years and Jack never really said. So that doesn't explain anything. But again, I think this is more of a 12 episode issue. Had it been 24, we would know Belcheck some more.
If and when they finally have a 10th season, I can see them bringing back Kate to team up with Chloe, Belcheck, (and hell, Tony) to rescue Jack. Give Kate the first few episodes to make her mark, and then break Jack out of prison early so he doesn't become the "dude in distress" for most of the season. Then you can have Jack go out with a bang, the only way he knows how.