Click Here!
Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 194
Like Tree189Likes

Thread: Amy Winehouse-We Hardly Knew Ye

  1. #71
    AAAAAAAAAARGGGHH!!!! Yog S'loth's Avatar




    Join Date
    May 2001
    Posts
    3,763
    Liked
    230 times
    Karma
    1020300
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    49 Post(s)

    Default

    I believe in the "Forrest Gump" philosphy of intelligence.

    Junkies are pretty stupid.

  2. #72
    All Star




    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    4,550
    Liked
    119 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Just an interesting talking point...


    What is the difference between Daniel Radcliffe and his recent struggles with alcohol (which he confronted and has changed)

    and someone like Amy Winehouse? (who confronted her problems with alcohol, among other things, several times, and was reluctant to change?)

    I mean you could make a list of tons of people who became sober, and overcame similar struggles to Winehouse....

    Ray Charles
    Alice Cooper
    Iggy Pop
    Eric Clapton
    Anthony Keidis

    there are A LOT of people who have recovered from addiction because they realize it's bad for them and they are playing with fire...and it's also pretty detrimental to their career.


    is it intelligence and responsibility? I think you could make a solid case

  3. #73
    Team LGK KRC1221's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,987
    Liked
    3554 times
    Karma
    1464858457
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    187 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Winsomemore View Post
    Well, maybe I have a bit of luck with me because in my mind they go hand in hand.

    I don't see how it doesn't come down to a matter of intelligence, or rather, lack of.

    Obviously, she wasn't smart enough to jettison the bloodsucking drug dealers and sycophant "friends" that enabled this sad drama to reach its inevitable conclusion.

    Her mind couldn't process the logical conclusion that her behavior was leading her to.

    I mean, it's a perfect tragedy, truly. Again, may she R.I.P.
    Is it possible that its not so easy b/c addiction is a disease just like diabetes, cancer etc...

    Its not as simple as not doing it when you're afflicted w/ this disease. Its very easy for those of us who aren't addicts to say just stop. Unfortunately I've seen this first hand for 20+ years w/ a family member.

    The day that we start treating addiction like a disease instead of the way we do now possibly recovery rates will increase.
    Goallum likes this.
    Frozen Fury, the only reason you can't wait for summer to end!

  4. #74
    about to burst apart Goallum's Avatar




    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    12,811
    Liked
    317 times
    Karma
    1005000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hipcheck View Post
    Blights of Humanity? Looks like you are the one bringing politics into it. I mere pointed out the inconsistency.

    I have far greater respect for trey parker and matt stone.
    What's inconsistent about calling two people whose politics you despise a Nazi in a manner of speaking (I hope you would agree that he wasn't implying a habitual gassing of Jews by the two of them), and being taken aback by a joke about a person who just died mere hours before?

  5. #75
    Team LGK KRC1221's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,987
    Liked
    3554 times
    Karma
    1464858457
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    187 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jerseydevil View Post
    The moderator asked Mike Henry something along the lines of 'is Amy Winehouse ok', and in the voice of Consuela(the maid from Family Guy) he replied, 'nonono...'.
    Meh....nothing worse than what the show does on a nightly basis.
    Hipcheck and Jaygokings! like this.
    Frozen Fury, the only reason you can't wait for summer to end!

  6. #76
    waxing poetic Hipcheck's Avatar




    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    30,869
    Liked
    1817 times
    Karma
    1020000
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    220 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KRC1221 View Post
    I
    Its not as simple as not doing it when you're afflicted w/ this disease. Its very easy for those of us who aren't addicts to say just stop. Unfortunately I've seen this first hand for 20+ years w/ a family member.

    But the facts are there are some people who can and did "just stop." I can personally attest to a couple of times I was able to "just stop."

    Im not calling you out or flaming but to me it seems a bit of a cop out that there are people who can just stop, those who can stop through treatment, and those who dont stop have a "disease."

    To me its really doing a disservice to the word "disease"....to say Amy Winehouse had a disease is a far cry from the people near and dear who do have actual bonafide medical issues. Especially with recent happenings here at LGK...its like comparing Apples to Handgrenades.

    Once again...Im not flaming you but in this area we disagree if not in verbage alone.
    Byatch1979 likes this.
    "How Dare You Trump My Clever Witticism"

    Click 4 LGK INTERNET RADIO ARCHIVE

  7. #77
    All Star




    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    4,550
    Liked
    119 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KRC1221 View Post
    Is it possible that its not so easy b/c addiction is a disease just like diabetes, cancer etc...

    Its not as simple as not doing it when you're afflicted w/ this disease. Its very easy for those of us who aren't addicts to say just stop. Unfortunately I've seen this first hand for 20+ years w/ a family member.

    The day that we start treating addiction like a disease instead of the way we do now possibly recovery rates will increase.
    You could go either way here. I have no stance. Is addiction a disease or not.

    Is it merely..bad habits are hard to break? specifically when they involve proven addictive materials? Is it someone that got themselves into a lifestyle that be it by the nature of the materials is hard to get out of?

    Or is it a disease/disorder. I know some people are just more prone to addictive behaviors.


    To me you can be addicted to anything. That's how the human body works. Just some things are A LOT more addictive then others due to chemicals and such.

  8. #78
    waxing poetic Hipcheck's Avatar




    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    30,869
    Liked
    1817 times
    Karma
    1020000
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    220 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Goallum View Post
    What's inconsistent about calling two people whose politics you despise a Nazi in a manner of speaking (I hope you would agree that he wasn't implying a habitual gassing of Jews by the two of them), and being taken aback by a joke about a person who just died mere hours before?
    Once again....doesnt that do just a bit of disservice to not only the US Citizens whom are being compared to people who committed some of the worst human atrocities in World History but also the millions of murdered and slaughtered victims thereof?? So Mcfarlane has no issues assigning the power of a phrase and term widely used to conjure the most horrific and widely documented example of unrepentant evil to people who may not agree with but when it comes to what is in essence a drug induced suicide from someone who is known for their use of drugs he has a moral code? Im just baffled with that line of thought and agree with KRC in that mcFarlane has said and done things like this on his show that it seems hypocritical for him trying to take any type of moral high ground.
    "How Dare You Trump My Clever Witticism"

    Click 4 LGK INTERNET RADIO ARCHIVE

  9. #79
    All Star




    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    4,550
    Liked
    119 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hipcheck View Post
    But the facts are there are some people who can and did "just stop." I can personally attest to a couple of times I was able to "just stop."

    Im not calling you out or flaming but to me it seems a bit of a cop out that there are people who can just stop, those who can stop through treatment, and those who dont stop have a "disease."

    To me its really doing a disservice to the word "disease"....to say Amy Winehouse had a disease is a far cry from the people near and dear who do have actual bonafide medical issues. Especially with recent happenings here at LGK...its like comparing Apples to Handgrenades.

    Once again...Im not flaming you but in this area we disagree if not in verbage alone.
    I see your point....it's like ADHD and it's current state. People use that as an excuse to their childs misbehavior. It has become mainstream to say about a child who is rambunctious and inattentive, "Oh he has ADHD." and all of a sudden it is seemingly okay...It's a bit of a scapegoat.
    Hipcheck and Byatch1979 like this.

  10. #80
    All Star Blueline's Avatar




    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    5,736
    Liked
    616 times
    Karma
    10100000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)

    Default

    I don't buy the "it is a disease" line as well. What it seems like is a lack of common sense (common sense and intelligence are clearly not the same thing) because she was well informed of her issues and the outcome but refused to change what she did. That is a lack of common sense, not a disease.

    Yes, it appears to be harder for some to quit thier destructive behavior than it is for others, but that doesn't make it a disease. People with diseases don't have the options to get better that she had (just stop partying), so is it fair to them to label her in the same way?

Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28