Click Here!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 35
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: BFI's Sight & Sound Updates Greatest Films List!

  1. #21
    Dolphins Hate Sharks! orpheus's Avatar




    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    17,028
    Liked
    7847 times
    Karma
    2147483647
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)

    Default

    But what do think about Vertigo, Ges?

  2. #22
    devenir gris gescom's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    33,435
    Liked
    3142 times
    Karma
    1252516
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    578 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by orpheus View Post
    But what do think about Vertigo, Ges?
    i love it. however, i will always hold the opinion that Hitchcock's finest film will always be Psycho... i can talk about that movie for hours.

  3. #23
    Dolphins Hate Sharks! orpheus's Avatar




    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    17,028
    Liked
    7847 times
    Karma
    2147483647
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)

    Default

    Yeah, I figured, but IT'S ON The LIST TOO!

    But anyways, musically inclined peeps tend to Love Psycho, they just deconstruct it, and talk about the beats, and how the soundtrack was done just with strings to emulate the black and white cinematography.

    I am thinking the film can be interpreted as Jazz inspired, maybe?

    I don't think us Hitch geeks realize just how much he put into that film.

  4. #24
    devenir gris gescom's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    33,435
    Liked
    3142 times
    Karma
    1252516
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    578 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by orpheus View Post
    Yeah, I figured, but IT'S ON The LIST TOO!

    But anyways, musically inclined peeps tend to Love Psycho, they just deconstruct it, and talk about the beats, and how the soundtrack was done just with strings to emulate the black and white cinematography.

    I am thinking the film can be interpreted as Jazz inspired, maybe?

    I don't think us Hitch geeks realize just how much he put into that film.

    there's just something about the "victim" that i just don't empathize with, and that has affected me deeply.

  5. #25
    I'llPutPenniesOnYourEyes jerseydevil's Avatar




    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    34,123
    Liked
    7453 times
    Karma
    1416594
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    788 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gescom View Post
    the first one is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO nuanced and far better. at some point it became chic to believe II was better, and it never looked back. i think it has a lot to do with De Niro coming hard off Mean Streets into a young Vito Corleone... and culminated with Taxi Driver like a year later.

    his hot snatch era.


    there isn't ONE scene in either of the sequels that, to me, can touch the moment Michael goes to the hospital to visit Vito unattended, up through to the point when Enzo lights his cig... IMPACT!
    Thank you for adding substance to my "Caan" defense. Some people around here don't understand the concept of 'I will not tolerate any argument'.
    adgy-san likes this.

  6. #26
    Dolphins Hate Sharks! orpheus's Avatar




    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    17,028
    Liked
    7847 times
    Karma
    2147483647
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)

    Default

    What are your thoughts on Singin' in the Rain being on the list?

    As far as I am concerned it's just not people dancing and singing. It's a film a film that deals with Hollywood's transition from silent to "talkies."

    And my god, if Gene Kelly's dancing in the rain isn't iconic. I can't tell you how many times when I didn't have a car and had to walk home in the rain thought about that song and performance. They don't make men like Kellly anymore.

    But dunno, I don't like that people say that they hate musicals, the same way that some say they hate horror.

    But yeah, Wizard of Oz should had been on this list, and none of the Frankenstein Universals where on this film either, really?

    An interesting, but really weak list.
    jerseydevil and LetTigerIn like this.

  7. #27
    I'llPutPenniesOnYourEyes jerseydevil's Avatar




    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    34,123
    Liked
    7453 times
    Karma
    1416594
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    788 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by orpheus View Post
    What are your thoughts on Singin' in the Rain being on the list?

    As far as I am concerned it's just not people dancing and singing. It's a film a film that deals with Hollywood's transition from silent to "talkies."

    And my god, if Gene Kelly's dancing in the rain isn't iconic. I can't tell you how many times when I didn't have a car and had to walk home in the rain thought about that song and performance. They don't make men like Kellly anymore.

    But dunno, I don't like that people say that they hate musicals, the same way that some say they hate horror.

    But yeah, Wizard of Oz should had been on this list, and none of the Frankenstein Universals where on this film either, really?

    An interesting, but really weak list.
    I am not a big fan of musicals, but Singing in the Rain was one of the first movies I remember ever seeing in a movie theater. Field trip to Radio City Music Hall, so yeah...pretty epic. Just like any list, not everyone is gonna make it and it's really all fodder for conversation. Me, I am angry that Big Trouble In Little China didn't make the list.
    gescom and LetTigerIn like this.

  8. #28
    Team LGK




    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,454
    Liked
    1142 times
    Karma
    1233325
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    146 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jerseydevil View Post
    I am not a big fan of musicals, but Singing in the Rain was one of the first movies I remember ever seeing in a movie theater. Field trip to Radio City Music Hall, so yeah...pretty epic. Just like any list, not everyone is gonna make it and it's really all fodder for conversation. Me, I am angry that Big Trouble In Little China didn't make the list.
    Send the list makers to the Hell of the Boiling Oil!
    jerseydevil likes this.

  9. #29
    Dolphins Hate Sharks! orpheus's Avatar




    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    17,028
    Liked
    7847 times
    Karma
    2147483647
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)

    Default

    Before The Thing, lol?

    That was my parent's movie, well, the would still go to dates after I was born, and my mother told me your father would take to see these bad movies, and my father was yeah, that film when they go to the Antarctic, and
    I was, like The Thing? Haha.

    As far as I am concerned it's the best Carpenter film, lol. :P

  10. #30
    Team LGK




    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,454
    Liked
    1142 times
    Karma
    1233325
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    146 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by orpheus View Post
    What are your thoughts on Singin' in the Rain being on the list?

    As far as I am concerned it's just not people dancing and singing. It's a film a film that deals with Hollywood's transition from silent to "talkies."

    And my god, if Gene Kelly's dancing in the rain isn't iconic. I can't tell you how many times when I didn't have a car and had to walk home in the rain thought about that song and performance. They don't make men like Kellly anymore.

    But dunno, I don't like that people say that they hate musicals, the same way that some say they hate horror.

    But yeah, Wizard of Oz should had been on this list, and none of the Frankenstein Universals where on this film either, really?

    An interesting, but really weak list.

    Singin' in the Rain is rife with iconic scenes and performances from "Make 'em Laugh" to "Moses" to "Singin' in the Rain" (of course) and even "Good Morning." All that, plus the new Blu-Ray box set comes with an umbrella.

    Anyone else surprised by how frequently the highest or only ranked film from a particular director is not their best-known work? It almost feels like someone trying to be purposefully quirky, except that this is a whole bunch of people being quirky in the same direction.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28