Click Here!
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 90
Like Tree119Likes

Thread: Biggest Musical Sellouts of All Time

  1. #71
    fantastic hair. lunchbox's Avatar




    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    8,489
    Liked
    1268 times
    Karma
    1135100
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    99 Post(s)

    Default

    without getting into who's a sellout and who isn't, since i think the definition isn't as simple as it seems... i believe in musical evolution (how to define that depends) and a desire to make money off what makes you happy. what i don't believe in is singing about/against giving in to the man, capitalism, etc. and then turning around and making every quick buck you can. even then, tommy gabel/laura jane grace said it well when she said it's pretty f***ing nice when you can afford the equipment to make the music you want to make.

    btw, that AFI album crash love was a giant disappointment that sucked donkey balls, but i sensed it coming. i like their stuff from answer that through art of drowning. i tolerated STS and decemberunderground fine, but my excitement for them started dropping off somewhere around that point.
    Palffy3314 likes this.

  2. #72
    ...Piss on Eddie Shore ChilledAgua's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Posts
    6,667
    Liked
    5147 times
    Karma
    1224063
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    128 Post(s)

    Default

    Journey

    That first album (especially "Topaz") sprung directly from Gregg Rolie and Neal Schon's time with Santana during the period where Santana III and Caravanserai were recorded, and the band was moving into their jazz-rock period (which continued after Rolie and Schon left to form Journey). That opening effort was pretty cutting edge at the time.

    We all know what happened once Steven Perry signed on...

  3. #73
    Wow! That's a low score! Palffy3314's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    4,105
    Liked
    252 times
    Karma
    1005000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xLAxKingsx View Post
    They rushed it wasnt exactly what they where going for but it was last album with current record label. If you could tell label did absolutely no PR for it and just let it ride out. Its been long and its screw with its fan base. Blaqk Audio is awesome if you are into electronica but i miss good ol AFI.
    Never bothered to check out Blaqk Audio. I have no problem with electronic music, I just don't really enjoy it by itself. I enjoy it more when it's mixed in with rock or heavier forms of music, or even some types of pop occasionally. Maybe I should give Blaqk Audio a listen though, it couldn't hurt.

  4. #74
    Im dumb, I'll prove it mark1178's Avatar




    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    3,980
    Liked
    1938 times
    Karma
    1010000
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    174 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UnholyGoalie View Post
    Is it "selling out" or is it musical progression? I see why people say Metallica sold out but is it just a band's "sound" progressing over time? Is it weird to expect a band to make albums that sound identical over a period of 20 years or so?
    You call Load, Reload and St Anger musical progression? REALLY!?!?

  5. #75
    Im dumb, I'll prove it mark1178's Avatar




    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    3,980
    Liked
    1938 times
    Karma
    1010000
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    174 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ianmonsta View Post
    45 posts and no mention of KISS & Gene Simmons?
    You're saying that like KISS is a real band

  6. #76
    Have Heart xLAxKingsx's Avatar




    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    367
    Liked
    247 times
    Karma
    3543500
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lunchbox View Post
    without getting into who's a sellout and who isn't, since i think the definition isn't as simple as it seems... i believe in musical evolution (how to define that depends) and a desire to make money off what makes you happy. what i don't believe in is singing about/against giving in to the man, capitalism, etc. and then turning around and making every quick buck you can. even then, tommy gabel/laura jane grace said it well when she said it's pretty f***ing nice when you can afford the equipment to make the music you want to make.

    btw, that AFI album crash love was a giant disappointment that sucked donkey balls, but i sensed it coming. i like their stuff from answer that through art of drowning. i tolerated STS and decemberunderground fine, but my excitement for them started dropping off somewhere around that point.
    I feel they dropped off STS lyrically that album was just ****ing great. But after that **** dropped bad.

    Quote Originally Posted by Palffy3314 View Post
    Never bothered to check out Blaqk Audio. I have no problem with electronic music, I just don't really enjoy it by itself. I enjoy it more when it's mixed in with rock or heavier forms of music, or even some types of pop occasionally. Maybe I should give Blaqk Audio a listen though, it couldn't hurt.
    Give it a try their first album cex cells is ****ing solid all the way thru.

  7. #77
    With us always. DougW8's Avatar




    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    6,073
    Liked
    218 times
    Karma
    1015000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by C. Marshall View Post
    One more thing, I'm sure some hippies would think that Bob Dylan sold out when he went electric...but that was a lifetime ago, is he still alive?
    He made the change before the hippies were around, but many in the folk movement considered him a major sellout. I have trouble listing any artist as a sellout. The particular artist may or may not be relevant to me, but that doesn't mean it isn't to someone else. If I don't like it, I just won't listen.
    gescom likes this.

  8. #78
    All Star




    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    5,636
    Liked
    1237 times
    Karma
    1860798
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    465 Post(s)

    Default

    Donnie and Marie, after that 3rd album they were sellouts.

  9. #79
    1st Scoring Line ucsdguy1's Avatar




    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,549
    Liked
    1534 times
    Karma
    1106210
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    163 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lunchbox View Post
    without getting into who's a sellout and who isn't, since i think the definition isn't as simple as it seems... i believe in musical evolution (how to define that depends) and a desire to make money off what makes you happy. what i don't believe in is singing about/against giving in to the man, capitalism, etc. and then turning around and making every quick buck you can. even then, tommy gabel/laura jane grace said it well when she said it's pretty f***ing nice when you can afford the equipment to make the music you want to make.
    how does that quote go...

    "If you're not a rebel at the age of twenty, you've got no heart. But if you haven't turned establishment by thirty, you've got no brains..."
    lunchbox likes this.

  10. #80
    Hell yes. UnholyGoalie's Avatar




    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    5,603
    Liked
    823 times
    Karma
    1066200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    85 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mark1178 View Post
    You call Load, Reload and St Anger musical progression? REALLY!?!?
    To be fair, I never really listened to those albums.

    I think a lot of this depends on when you were introduced to said band. I first heard Metallica at the Black Album period and loved it. In fact, Metallica and GNR were the two bands that first got me into hard rock/metal. And though I'd heard One before, it wasn't until years later that I listened to Master of Puppets, Ride the Lightning, etc. So I went from thinking, "Hey Metallica is cool" to thinking, "Yeah, but their old stuff is friggin' awesome!" It made that transition easier to remain a fan, as opposed to hearing them progress from first album on.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84