Page 18 of 61 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 28 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 607
Like Tree316Likes

Thread: The Blu-Ray thread

  1. #171
    Hit it like a baby seal SmytheKing's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    10,007
    Liked
    1085 times
    Karma
    1075000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    179 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jerseydevil View Post
    Are these the same sets as the ones they did a couple of years ago on DVD? I have the Dracula and Wolfman ones. Excellent sets.

  2. #172
    I'llPutPenniesOnYourEyes jerseydevil's Avatar




    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    36,039
    Liked
    5872 times
    Karma
    1602103
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1250 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SmytheKing View Post
    Are these the same sets as the ones they did a couple of years ago on DVD? I have the Dracula and Wolfman ones. Excellent sets.
    Pretty sure. Might be tweaked a bit...

    Oh, and I don't think it's the whole sets. This is basically the marquee 'greatest hits' package.

  3. #173
    Stanley Cup Dolphin! orpheus's Avatar




    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    17,681
    Liked
    5882 times
    Karma
    2147483647
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    539 Post(s)

    Default

    But the marquee sets are packed. I don't want just a greatest hits thing.

    Not that I have a blu-ray player either way.
    jerseydevil likes this.

  4. #174
    Hit it like a baby seal SmytheKing's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    10,007
    Liked
    1085 times
    Karma
    1075000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    179 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by orpheus View Post
    But the marquee sets are packed. I don't want just a greatest hits thing.

    Not that I have a blu-ray player either way.
    From what I'm reading, it's the same thing. . .with a few more extras on top of the new transfers. I'll probably have to buy it. "Have to".

    EDIT: **** me. Yeah, I'm buying it...

    Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954) - w/3D version of the film....

  5. #175
    I'llPutPenniesOnYourEyes jerseydevil's Avatar




    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    36,039
    Liked
    5872 times
    Karma
    1602103
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1250 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by orpheus View Post
    But the marquee sets are packed. I don't want just a greatest hits thing.

    Not that I have a blu-ray player either way.
    I agree...to a point. The fully loaded sets are really lovely. But for us folks in the new century, with fancy motorcars and such, a 'best of' classic monsters blu will really hit the spot.

  6. #176
    Stanley Cup Dolphin! orpheus's Avatar




    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    17,681
    Liked
    5882 times
    Karma
    2147483647
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    539 Post(s)

    Default

    They have cars with motors now? :O

    Oh, but seriously, I keep asking this question and I don't know if I've gotten a satisfying answer. Does blu-ray notably improve the quality of movies as old as the Universal monster movies? Silents?

    I tend to assume that it wouldn't make that much of a difference because of how old those movies are, but I could be wrong.

    Dunno, just the dvd age in itself set off a golden age of sorts for early talkies and silents because it became worthy to restore these films since one could appreciate these transfers on DVD as opposed to VHS.

    I am just curious to watch some of the older stuff from Criterion and Kino on blu-ray, but you know about me.

  7. #177
    Hit it like a baby seal SmytheKing's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    10,007
    Liked
    1085 times
    Karma
    1075000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    179 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by orpheus View Post
    They have cars with motors now? :O

    Oh, but seriously, I keep asking this question and I don't know if I've gotten a satisfying answer. Does blu-ray notably improve the quality of movies as old as the Universal monster movies? Silents?

    I tend to assume that it wouldn't make that much of a difference because of how old those movies are, but I could be wrong.

    Dunno, just the dvd age in itself set off a golden age of sorts for early talkies and silents because it became worthy to restore these films since one could appreciate these transfers on DVD as opposed to VHS.

    I am just curious to watch some of the older stuff from Criterion and Kino on blu-ray, but you know about me.
    Honestly, if the transfer is good, they're amazing. I have The Searchers on Blu-Ray and it blew my mind. The Star Wars ones look like they were filmed today. It's quite impressive if the transfer is done as well as it can be done these days. The studios generally seem to do amazing jobs on the classic movies that people care about too. Not just in picture quality, but in sound as well.

  8. #178
    I'llPutPenniesOnYourEyes jerseydevil's Avatar




    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    36,039
    Liked
    5872 times
    Karma
    1602103
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1250 Post(s)

    Default

    Agreed. All about a)the original negative they are working from and b) the transfer and how much time/money they intend on spending. The Universal classics were already cleaned up to beautiful effect, so they don't have a long way to go, and if they show 1/2 the love they spent on the dvd reissues...these will definitely be worth the price.

  9. #179
    Support the Fans SirJW's Avatar




    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    12,982
    Liked
    1493 times
    Karma
    7344605
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    205 Post(s)

    Default


  10. #180
    Hit it like a baby seal SmytheKing's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    10,007
    Liked
    1085 times
    Karma
    1075000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    179 Post(s)

    Default

    Decent deals for you who haven't already purchased these.

    HDD Deal of the Week: Five Sony Blu-ray Favorites Under $10 Each | High-Def Digest

Page 18 of 61 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 28 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28