Click Here!
Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 174
Like Tree90Likes

Thread: James Bond 23: Skyfall

  1. #121
    1st Scoring Line BigBrown's Avatar




    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,592
    Liked
    706 times
    Karma
    1055400
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)

    Default

    I enjoyed it and thought it was a pretty good movie, but I don't really understand all the hype. Pretty solid with some fun callbacks to older Bond movies but nothing special. If you're in the mood for an action movie in the spy/special-agent genre, you could do a lot worse (and better).

    Way to pick a road, BigBrown... or do you say lane? Middle of the road? Stupid English. In any case, I guess I pussed out on having an actual opinion.
    Last edited by BigBrown; November 25th, 2012 at 04:21 PM.
    jerseydevil likes this.

  2. #122
    Hating ties is dumb. Dr. Naysay's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    19,230
    Liked
    1801 times
    Karma
    1053297
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    115 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jerseydevil View Post
    Well...then why do you go see the new one. Me, I know it offers me nothing. I stay away because I am not the audience. I don't go see it and then slag it going in knowing that it's not for me. And I have been a fan of the franchise at times. You say you have never been. Yet you go see the new one? Is that not a case of 'those that do not learn from history...'? I know it's not optimism that drives you...you don't really have any. So why go?
    I've seen a lot of them on cable over the years. It's pretty hard not to watch Bond films if you have any kind of social life involving people who like watching TV/movies.

    I liked Casino Royale, was bored by The Quantum of Solace and really had no interest in seeing this one until I heard everybody say it was one of the best Bond films of all time and possibly on of the best films of the year.

    Best film of the year? An action movie? With the guy from Layercake? When I liked Casino Royale? Why wouldn't I go watch it?

    Let me be perfectly clear.

    I enjoyed watching Skyfall. I did.


    I just know that it was a mediocre popcorn flick that made no sense and traded heavily on nostalgia and audience preacceptance and anticipation.

    The crowd I saw it with appeared to be mostly folks 40 and older. There was clapping when Bond unveiled his car. A LOT of clapping. The Theatre was probably 60 - 70% capacity and I'd say more than half of them had a little cheering moment.

    So... you know.... Bond fans are now just as bad as Star Wars fans in my mind and Skyfall was no better or worse than RED.

    adgy-san and BigBrown like this.

  3. #123
    I'llPutPenniesOnYourEyes jerseydevil's Avatar




    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    34,124
    Liked
    7453 times
    Karma
    1416594
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    788 Post(s)

    Default

    Naaah that's actually fitting. I think the Craig/Bond movies are the perfect 'Chinese Food' flicks. Great while you watch...but forgotten quick and leaving you empty 30 minutes later. Very middle of the road...very flash and no substance. You summed it up well in my opinion.

  4. #124
    I'llPutPenniesOnYourEyes jerseydevil's Avatar




    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    34,124
    Liked
    7453 times
    Karma
    1416594
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    788 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Naysay View Post
    I've seen a lot of them on cable over the years. It's pretty hard not to watch Bond films if you have any kind of social life involving people who like watching TV/movies.

    I liked Casino Royale, was bored by The Quantum of Solace and really had no interest in seeing this one until I heard everybody say it was one of the best Bond films of all time and possibly on of the best films of the year.

    Best film of the year? An action movie? With the guy from Layercake? When I liked Casino Royale? Why wouldn't I go watch it?

    Let me be perfectly clear.

    I enjoyed watching Skyfall. I did.


    I just know that it was a mediocre popcorn flick that made no sense and traded heavily on nostalgia and audience preacceptance and anticipation.

    The crowd I saw it with appeared to be mostly folks 40 and older. There was clapping when Bond unveiled his car. A LOT of clapping. The Theatre was probably 60 - 70% capacity and I'd say more than half of them had a little cheering moment.

    So... you know.... Bond fans are now just as bad as Star Wars fans in my mind and Skyfall was no better or worse than RED.

    Ok...I get it better now.

  5. #125
    1st Scoring Line BigBrown's Avatar




    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,592
    Liked
    706 times
    Karma
    1055400
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)

    Default

    Nicely put, Doc. I hated Red with a fiery passion though so Skyfall was a big step up from that abortion.

    And being Swedish, I have never ever heard a single person clap their hands in a movie theater. Thank goodness for that. One of the perks of living amongst a population of socially awkward and quiet people I guess.

  6. #126
    Hating ties is dumb. Dr. Naysay's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    19,230
    Liked
    1801 times
    Karma
    1053297
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    115 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrown View Post
    Nicely put, Doc. I hated Red with a fiery passion though so Skyfall was a big step up from that abortion.

    And being Swedish, I have never ever heard a single person clap their hands in a movie theater. Thank goodness for that. One of the perks of living amongst a population of socially awkward and quiet people I guess.
    Well ok... Red was a bad example. It was just the first "spy" movie I could think of that didn't belong to a multi-film franchise.

    I just remembered a sequence that really reminded me of Skyfall... from a little movie called Safehouse.

    So...

    Skyfall was no better or worse than Safehouse.

    In fact... come to think of it....

    Skyfall IS Safehouse.


  7. #127
    I'llPutPenniesOnYourEyes jerseydevil's Avatar




    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    34,124
    Liked
    7453 times
    Karma
    1416594
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    788 Post(s)

    Default

    I still don't know why you had to be such a dick about my emotional revelation after embracing Life of Pi...

    Go see it Doc. It may actually shake loose the cobwebs in your soul.

  8. #128
    Hating ties is dumb. Dr. Naysay's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    19,230
    Liked
    1801 times
    Karma
    1053297
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    115 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jerseydevil View Post
    I still don't know why you had to be such a dick about my emotional revelation after embracing Life of Pi...

    Go see it Doc. It may actually shake loose the cobwebs in your soul.
    Psh... I was drunk and thought that was hilarious.

    And I watched Big Fish yesterday and had myself a good cry. My soul is cobweb free for at least another day.

  9. #129
    I'llPutPenniesOnYourEyes jerseydevil's Avatar




    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    34,124
    Liked
    7453 times
    Karma
    1416594
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    788 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Naysay View Post
    Psh... I was drunk and thought that was hilarious.

    And I watched Big Fish yesterday and had myself a good cry. My soul is cobweb free for at least another day.
    Fair enough...God that movie(Big Fish) is Forrest Gump with circus freaks. You should see Life of Pi...it'll move ya brother. Just so beautiful.

  10. #130
    Let's hug it out, bitch! NastiMarvasti's Avatar




    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    7,205
    Liked
    1933 times
    Karma
    1058600
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    184 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jerseydevil View Post
    Chumpwick...Stanley Chumpwick. OOOh I like it. Mother****er has to REALLY be debonaire to pull that **** off. Instead of 007 he could be $3.99. Honestly though, Daniel Craig does nothing for me as Bond. It's just another Nolan-ization of a character that, for me, personifies gentlemanly cool/suave...Connery to a point and Moore to a T. Anyone can do thuggish macho action flick but the best Bond worked in the exchanges across a MahJonng/Baccarat table. It's tough to talk trash while wearing a cravat and a cummerbund. To me Bond was at his best when keeping his cool in THOSE situations. The movies started and ended with big action set pieces, but relied on dialogue and characterization to carry the flick. Maybe that's just too quaint in this world? Everyone just needs the hyperactive whirling dervish death defying almost JACKASS like Bond action. Shame really. And Boobytrap was right, Craig is just chewed up leather froot roll up. Hard to look at.
    While I liked this movie, I see your point. The Craig/Bond films seem to have lost their fun aspect that made the Connery/Moore films so great to watch. To me, this is a direct result of them trying to be too fun with the later Brosnan films.
    jerseydevil likes this.

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28