Click Here!
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 57
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Looper -- Bruce Willis/Joseph Gordon-Levitt

  1. #31
    Hating ties is dumb. Dr. Naysay's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    19,230
    Liked
    1801 times
    Karma
    1053297
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    115 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jerseydevil View Post
    I have not seen yet...but I can't help but feel that you are simply overreacting to the hype. Did you REALLY go into the movie w/an open mind or were you 'in character'? Not judging...asking.
    Honestly I don't have that many issues with the movie. I went in expecting to be completely blown away with how good it was and I spent most of the movie on the edge of my seat completely wrapped up in it.

    It has a wonderful sense of comedic timing, the action sequences are great, the performances are good. I happen to think it's distracting how much they tried to make Levitt look like Willis... but whatever.

    My issue is the inconsistencies, the violation of it's own logic and the payoff.

    It's still a perfectly fine and entertaining movie.... but it's flawed in the way that most time travel movies are... and I ****ing hate time travel movies for just that reason.

    Clearly 99.9% of the world is able to say "oh who cares just enjoy the movie" but I can't. I'm sorry. I like my stories to make sense. It's where the weight of consequences are derived from. If you're characters can just do whatever is necessary in order to forward the plot or the moral and it changes from moment to moment then why am I watching a two hour movie? Just make a 5 minute short film where you say what you want to say.

    Ultimately Looper is an incredibly well made and thoroughly engaging ABC After School Special.

    I want to stress.... incredibly well made and thoroughly engaging.

  2. #32
    I'llPutPenniesOnYourEyes jerseydevil's Avatar




    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    34,114
    Liked
    7446 times
    Karma
    1416594
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    788 Post(s)

    Default

    OK...see that's better. Your original post had me feeling that you did not like the movie. Time-travel movies always come with that built in fault. Most forget to do their math. And I have seen a LOT of reviews where Looper is almost congratulated for not getting caught up in the mechanics of it. I found that a little bothersome. I may not be as demanding as you in that regard but I do like my movies to not have flawed logic that I wind up working on like a sore tooth.

  3. #33
    Hating ties is dumb. Dr. Naysay's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    19,230
    Liked
    1801 times
    Karma
    1053297
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    115 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jerseydevil View Post
    OK...see that's better. Your original post had me feeling that you did not like the movie. Time-travel movies always come with that built in fault. Most forget to do their math. And I have seen a LOT of reviews where Looper is almost congratulated for not getting caught up in the mechanics of it. I found that a little bothersome. I may not be as demanding as you in that regard but I do like my movies to not have flawed logic that I wind up working on like a sore tooth.
    Part of it's "well madeness" is that there are a handful of "yea look... don't ****ing worry about the logic of it" conversations in the movie and while some may find that cute.... I don't. It's fine if I'm watching a straight comedy but this is most definitely NOT a comedy. It's a movie with some very real and very heavy emotional themes.

  4. #34
    I'llPutPenniesOnYourEyes jerseydevil's Avatar




    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    34,114
    Liked
    7446 times
    Karma
    1416594
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    788 Post(s)

    Default

    That's clever and insulting at the same time. Agreed, that's a little too cutesy for me.

  5. #35
    I don't rattle, kid. Kubrick's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    15,732
    Liked
    1784 times
    Karma
    1153900
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    444 Post(s)

    Default

    If your biggest bitch about the movie is the quasi-science behind TIME TRAVEL, then you're just looking for a reason to bitch. Shocking.

  6. #36
    Hating ties is dumb. Dr. Naysay's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    19,230
    Liked
    1801 times
    Karma
    1053297
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    115 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kubrick View Post
    If your biggest bitch about the movie is the quasi-science behind TIME TRAVEL, then you're just looking for a reason to bitch. Shocking.
    Perhaps you missed the multiple times I mentioned that I enjoyed watching the movie and that I thought it was well made and entertaining?

    Sorry I enjoy discussing the inescapable flaws in even the most enjoyable things.

  7. #37
    I don't rattle, kid. Kubrick's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    15,732
    Liked
    1784 times
    Karma
    1153900
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    444 Post(s)

    Default

    Spoilers warning.


  8. #38
    Iím sicka the high hat!! santiclaws's Avatar




    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    13,839
    Liked
    16765 times
    Karma
    1661409
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    572 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Naysay View Post

    Sorry I enjoy discussing the inescapable flaws in even the most enjoyable things.
    "I don't like how you moan at irregular intervals."
    Noble Savage likes this.

  9. #39
    Hating ties is dumb. Dr. Naysay's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    19,230
    Liked
    1801 times
    Karma
    1053297
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    115 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kubrick View Post
    Spoilers warning.

    I wish I had never seen this interview. Now I actually do hate the movie.

  10. #40
    Team LGK




    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,449
    Liked
    1138 times
    Karma
    1233325
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    146 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Naysay View Post
    I wish I had never seen this interview. Now I actually do hate the movie.
    Thanks for the warning. I will avoid the interview now.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84