The folks over at JoBlo have a source that sent them some bullet point reactions from the early screenings at WB:
- Imagine a Nolan story with Snyder effects/action.
- It’s the best movie of the year.
- There’s TONS of action with Superman kicking all kinds of ass in his suit.
- The cape is CG’d most of the time so it can look awesome.
- They have intentionally left out most of the the Super action in trailers to save it.
- It’s not nearly as dour and serious as the trailers suggest.
- The movie is complete, minus the 3D post-conversion, which is currently taking place
To say it’s premature to call Man of Steel “the best film of the year” is a massive understatement, but it’s clear that the screening went over well. Fans worried that we’re in for another romantic drama a la Superman Returns should be pleased, and I’m all for WB keeping the action-y bits under the hood until the film hits theaters; audiences are going to turn out for this movie no matter what, and I’d really enjoy not having half the film released online by way of trailers, TV spots, clips, etc. months before it even opens. It’s also reassuring to hear that there’s some fun to be had despite the super serious nature of the trailers.
I imagine we’ll start to see much more from the film in the next few months as the release date looms closer, but for fans waiting with bated breath to see if Snyder pulls this thing off, hopefully these early screening reactions serve as a tiny bit of reassurance. Man of Steel opens in 3D on June 14th.