Click Here!
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 52
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Midnight In Paris

  1. #11
    Hating ties is dumb. Dr. Naysay's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    19,230
    Liked
    1801 times
    Karma
    1053297
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    115 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SmytheKing View Post
    Puritanical has nothing to do with cheating on your wife with your adopted daughter. I didn't know that was being puritanical, but lump me in that group if you feel like it.
    Out of curiosity... do you have a list of all the personal indiscretions of every artist and judge accordingly? Or just the high profile ones? Will you be avoiding all Schwarzenegger films in the future? Do you shun anything associated with Jerry Lee Lewis? For those who refuse to patronize Polanski films... do you extend your feelings to his host and friend at the time Jack Nicholson?


    Also... While it's impossible to defend what he did to Mia Farrow, he has been with Sun Yi for 14 years and they have adopted two children together. Let's just say for the sake of argument that the two of them make each other truly happy and are in love.... does that change your opinion at all?

  2. #12
    I'llPutPenniesOnYourEyes jerseydevil's Avatar




    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    34,113
    Liked
    7445 times
    Karma
    1416594
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    788 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Naysay View Post
    I always forget how puritanical LGK can be at times.

    Well... your collective loss.
    Really? People find him morally reprehensible for what he did and you are scoffing at them. I believe there is a certain disconnect between what a person does in their life and the product of their art...but sometimes it's impossible to look the other way. I find him a sad mess of a person, that's not why I don't watch his movies. Maybe I am unsophisticated but I am just not his audience. I don't enjoy his 'angst' and i don't watch his movies simply because of that. Really Doc...I am a beer drinking emotional retard. I like my entertainment to be entertaining without being insulting to my limited intelligence. So, I like the Pirates movies and whiz all over the Transformers. Does that make me a hypocrite? In some eyes maybe, but no matter what you like there usually is something you can look down on. For you Woody Allen is greater than POTC. For me POTC is greater than Transformers. That's why all this crap is subjective.

    But really, for you to cast stones at people for not watching Woody flicks due to his life choices...

  3. #13
    Hit it like a baby seal SmytheKing's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    9,745
    Liked
    1019 times
    Karma
    1005000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Naysay View Post
    Out of curiosity... do you have a list of all the personal indiscretions of every artist and judge accordingly? Or just the high profile ones? Will you be avoiding all Schwarzenegger films in the future? Do you shun anything associated with Jerry Lee Lewis? For those who refuse to patronize Polanski films... do you extend your feelings to his host and friend at the time Jack Nicholson?


    Also... While it's impossible to defend what he did to Mia Farrow, he has been with Sun Yi for 14 years and they have adopted two children together. Let's just say for the sake of argument that the two of them make each other truly happy and are in love.... does that change your opinion at all?
    I think there's a difference between cheating on your spouse, and doing it with an adoptive child, don't you? As to Nicholson, there's part of me that does feel the same. Honestly, I don't recall the last time I paid to see him in a movie either though so. . .guess there's a part of me that either does hold him to that standard, or just doesn't like what he's been doing.

    ...and, as far as the fact that they've been together for a long time, no. . .it doesn't really matter. It's not that he left his wife, it's that he left her for their child. That's just crossing the line and it's disturbing to me. It violates a trust.

  4. #14
    Just listen. darby's Avatar




    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    11,718
    Liked
    661 times
    Karma
    1079400
    Images
    5
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    108 Post(s)

    Default

    I'd have no problem watching a Woody Allen movie if he made one I liked.


    "Only a numbskull thinks he knows things about things he knows nothing about."
    "It's understanding that makes it possible for people like us to tolerate a person like yourself."

  5. #15
    PJ Harvey is God adgy-san's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    36,260
    Liked
    17236 times
    Karma
    1094100
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    269 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Naysay View Post
    Out of curiosity... do you have a list of all the personal indiscretions of every artist and judge accordingly? Or just the high profile ones? Will you be avoiding all Schwarzenegger films in the future? Do you shun anything associated with Jerry Lee Lewis? For those who refuse to patronize Polanski films... do you extend your feelings to his host and friend at the time Jack Nicholson?


    Also... While it's impossible to defend what he did to Mia Farrow, he has been with Sun Yi for 14 years and they have adopted two children together. Let's just say for the sake of argument that the two of them make each other truly happy and are in love.... does that change your opinion at all?
    Speaking for myself, even though you may not have been talking directly to me, there is a line that I draw with underage kids. I don't care so much about infidelity (I couldn't watch ANY Hollywood movies if I did) enough to boycott a film with that person, but it definitely affects my opinion of them.

    Same goes for people who associate/star in films by Polanski or Victor Salva. It's disappointing that they would continue to help a person like that make money, but... it's not the same as actually having done it.

    The fact that Woody Allen is still with his adopted daughter after all these years is really the only reason the area of him is still grey for me. I'm honestly not sure what to think. I still enjoy a lot of his old movies immensely and I'm not against watching them when they're on, but I'm still not sure how I feel about watching one of his movies in a theater, where I'm directly contributing cash. The fact that his output of the last bunch of years has been of lesser quality (or so I hear) made this a little easier, but everything I've read about this one has me curious.

    I still honestly don't know if I'd go and see it.

  6. #16
    Concussed Villain Mondo Blando's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    7,961
    Liked
    2599 times
    Karma
    1256346
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    732 Post(s)

    Default

    It wasn't his adopted daughter, technically, in fact he was never married to Mia Farrow (she was adopted by Farrow and her previous husband, pianist Andre Previn. They did have one child together, if I can remember correctly, which is the only really "creepy" aspect of it to me. I dunno if people have met under stranger circumstances, but the heart wants what it wants. I don't believe that they started their relationship until she was 21 anyway.

    Plus I think a lot of people look at that situation in a vaccum without putting it in the context of the ultra liberal, 60's-70's idealistic NY intellectual scene in which he was so firmly established. You can look at other film makers and consider their acheivements in part due to the "school" they came out of - you can't completely turn your back on Allen for his romantic forays without understanding who he is and where he is coming from - that analyst-friendly culture found themselves pushing introspective boundaries in order to find who they really were, for better or worse.

    Woody Allen commiting that moral "crime" that has lasted close to 20 years isn't exactly the same as say Richard Donner doing the same thing. May seem like a cop out, but it was coming from a different time and place.

    Annie Hall
    Crimes and Misdemeanors
    Hannah and Her Sisters
    Manhattan
    Radio Days
    Everyone Says I Love You


    Those are all terrific, wonderful movies. I'm a big fan of some of his "lesser" works too, Take the Money and Run, A Midsummer Nights Sex Comedy, Small Time Crooks... just great fun.
    Last edited by Mondo Blando; June 6th, 2011 at 11:41 PM.

  7. #17
    fantastic hair. lunchbox's Avatar




    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    8,486
    Liked
    1259 times
    Karma
    1125100
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    99 Post(s)

    Default

    i'm not a huge fan of allen's work as in i don't think he's the most fabulous director ever, but i did enjoy "everyone says i love you" and "match point". i also saw "mighty aphrodite" and didn't think it was bad. i also remember a time back when i was in middle school (i think it was?) and either my teacher or a sub did movie day and she showed a woody allen flick. i don't remember what it was called. all i recall is one of the ladies telling a story about how she was getting it on with a dude and she was taken aback by his kinky desire to defecate on her. i had no idea what that meant at the time, i was like "what's defecate? and why is she so weirded out?". whoa. hellooooooo... lol.

    with that said, i do want to see this because i like any film done by an at least decent director that's set in paris because of all the nostalgia the buildings and streets elicit in me.

    i don't give a crap about what these people do in their personal lives. there's a lot of great artists in history and present tense who haven't necessarily lived to the general public's standards or who have done worse.

  8. #18
    I'llPutPenniesOnYourEyes jerseydevil's Avatar




    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    34,113
    Liked
    7445 times
    Karma
    1416594
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    788 Post(s)

    Default

    Sometimes I forget how liberal LGK can be...

  9. #19
    Hit it like a baby seal SmytheKing's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    9,745
    Liked
    1019 times
    Karma
    1005000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mondo Blando View Post
    It wasn't his adopted daughter, technically, in fact he was never married to Mia Farrow (she was adopted by Farrow and her previous husband, pianist Andre Previn. They did have one child together, if I can remember correctly, which is the only really "creepy" aspect of it to me. I dunno if people have met under stranger circumstances, but the heart wants what it wants. I don't believe that they started their relationship until she was 21 anyway.

    Plus I think a lot of people look at that situation in a vaccum without putting it in the context of the ultra liberal, 60's-70's idealistic NY intellectual scene in which he was so firmly established. You can look at other film makers and consider their acheivements in part due to the "school" they came out of - you can't completely turn your back on Allen for his romantic forays without understanding who he is and where he is coming from - that analyst-friendly culture found themselves pushing introspective boundaries in order to find who they really were, for better or worse.

    Woody Allen commiting that moral "crime" that has lasted close to 20 years isn't exactly the same as say Richard Donner doing the same thing. May seem like a cop out, but it was coming from a different time and place.

    Annie Hall
    Crimes and Misdemeanors
    Hannah and Her Sisters
    Manhattan
    Radio Days
    Everyone Says I Love You


    Those are all terrific, wonderful movies. I'm a big fan of some of his "lesser" works too, Take the Money and Run, A Midsummer Nights Sex Comedy, Small Time Crooks... just great fun.
    I'm not going to tell other people not to see his movies. It's just a decision of mine. I didn't say to burn him at the stake either. I can't rationalize it as you can, and that's fine. Like I said, I just think it crossed the line and I won't support him. It's not a big deal.

  10. #20
    PJ Harvey is God adgy-san's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    36,260
    Liked
    17236 times
    Karma
    1094100
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    269 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lunchbox View Post
    i also remember a time back when i was in middle school (i think it was?) and either my teacher or a sub did movie day and she showed a woody allen flick. i don't remember what it was called. all i recall is one of the ladies telling a story about how she was getting it on with a dude and she was taken aback by his kinky desire to defecate on her.
    That would be Crimes & Misdemeanors, if I remember correctly. A movie I also first saw in class at high school. Only it was the actual teacher showing it, not a sub.

    That scene still cracks me the **** up, too.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83