Click Here!
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 83
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Pirates of the Caribbean:On Stranger Tides

  1. #61
    I'llPutPenniesOnYourEyes jerseydevil's Avatar




    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    34,125
    Liked
    7456 times
    Karma
    1416594
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    788 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mondo Blando View Post
    My "rule" about suspension of disbelief is that I will willingly go along with any premise, as silly as it may be, if it is true to the logic created within the world of the movie.

    When you introduce Davey Jones as a character who can disappear and reappear at the drop of the hat, why bother with the clangy sword fights? Why have a villain resort to playing by the hero's rules? He is never a threat.

    The redemption/melancholy of Jones was right out of Tim Burton stock characters, where the bad guy is never really all that bad, so it takes most, if not all, of the emotion and intensity out of the conflict. It fell flat on its face, and both the 2nd and 3rd Pirates movies sufered for it.

    It's the same failing as Batman Returns: create a foil(s) for the hero who you are never truly allowed to despise, practically forced to feel for, but never really have much reason to care whether he wins or loses. The hero then becomes bland, his goals become weakened, and the plot ultimately becomes no big deal. The resolution doesn't matter, because even though we all know how it is going to end before the trailer even comes out, there is no real reason to care about the stuff in between. It's just a bunch of junk happening up on the big screen. Exciting at times? Absolutely, even more so than most other movies. But its empty, even for an adventure flick.
    I see your point...but I disagree. Call me a Pirates apologist, I gladly wear that title. Can you dissect all of the movies? Sure. You can drive a truck through the inconsistencies...but they are dear to me. I watch one of these and I escape, pure and simple. I can nitpick with the best of em, but we all have our achille's heel and I guess these are mine. It flies in the face of logic but I will defend the Pirates franchise with every breath. In some eyes that may cast doubt on my other (strong) opinions. Oh well.

  2. #62
    Hating ties is dumb. Dr. Naysay's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    19,230
    Liked
    1801 times
    Karma
    1053297
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    115 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jerseydevil View Post
    blah blah blah I can't just admit that I like crappy movies blah blah blah
    You and I need to have a beer so I can just yell at you.

  3. #63
    I'llPutPenniesOnYourEyes jerseydevil's Avatar




    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    34,125
    Liked
    7456 times
    Karma
    1416594
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    788 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Naysay View Post
    You and I need to have a beer so I can just yell at you.
    Whaaaaaa...I love crappy movies. I just ordered



    And I cannot stop watching The Other Guys/Cop Out. I confess to watching crap all the time. But there is a difference between entertaining crap and visual wankfests like Transformers and all that jazz...

    besides, you are just sore because I am calling Green Lantern a turd because you can't.


    But yeah sir...we need a sitdown. You can set me straight. Hell, enough beer and I will be first in line for Green Lantern.

  4. #64
    PJ Harvey is God adgy-san's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    36,262
    Liked
    17238 times
    Karma
    1094100
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    269 Post(s)

  5. #65
    I'llPutPenniesOnYourEyes jerseydevil's Avatar




    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    34,125
    Liked
    7456 times
    Karma
    1416594
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    788 Post(s)

    Default

    Interesting. I would think the Burton invite also serves as a carrot for Depp to jump back in sooner than he'd like and maybe even commit to 2 being filmed at the same time, which Disney would kill for because it would cut costs down considerably.

  6. #66
    about to burst apart Goallum's Avatar




    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    12,811
    Liked
    317 times
    Karma
    1005000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jerseydevil View Post
    Interesting. I would think the Burton invite also serves as a carrot for Depp to jump back in sooner than he'd like and maybe even commit to 2 being filmed at the same time, which Disney would kill for because it would cut costs down considerably.
    I'd be very curious to see the result if it ever comes to fruition, but I'm apprehensive that he would **** it up as he did Alice.

  7. #67
    PJ Harvey is God adgy-san's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    36,262
    Liked
    17238 times
    Karma
    1094100
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    269 Post(s)

    Default

    They should let Terry Gilliam direct it.

  8. #68
    I'llPutPenniesOnYourEyes jerseydevil's Avatar




    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    34,125
    Liked
    7456 times
    Karma
    1416594
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    788 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by adgy-san View Post
    They should let Terry Gilliam direct it.
    They should let Terry Gilliam direct anything...and, oh, by the way...give him some damned money to do it.

  9. #69
    Hating ties is dumb. Dr. Naysay's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    19,230
    Liked
    1801 times
    Karma
    1053297
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    115 Post(s)

    Default

    I'm endlessly thrilled that Team "Hollywood is creatively bankrupt" appear to be the biggest proponents of the fifth lame installment of this franchise based on a 5 minute ride at a theme park.

  10. #70
    PJ Harvey is God adgy-san's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    36,262
    Liked
    17238 times
    Karma
    1094100
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    269 Post(s)

    Default

    Heh.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28