Page 25 of 86 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 250 of 857
Like Tree637Likes

Thread: The Star Wars thread

  1. #241
    I'llPutPenniesOnYourEyes jerseydevil's Avatar




    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    36,340
    Liked
    6081 times
    Karma
    1632103
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1313 Post(s)

    Default

    Fair enough. But you understand that's the minority opinion. The originals are 'Wizard of Oz' beloved. And I can tell you my experience with the prequels was one of extreme betrayal. I went in ALL THREE TIMES hopeful that ThisWouldBeTheOne that brought back that magic feeling, only to be hopelessly crushed each time. Sure my expectations were high, but I went in ALL THREE TIMES with eyes wide open. The prequels are sterile. From the acting to the overly complicated politics. Maybe taken as a seperate entity they would fare better, but they have NO sense of fun. No sense of magic. Just a plodding overexplained trajectory of the fall of Anakin 'pouty mc bratty' Skywalker. You know why the original movies worked? Because Luke/Han/Leia were real people. Not people left to their own devices in front of green screens by a director who no longer has the ability to connect with his actors or his audience because he is too busy playing in his computer generated effects sandbox. I am glad you and Nasti were able to enjoy them. I can't understand it, but I don't begrudge you and experience i wish I could have shared.
    NastiMarvasti likes this.

  2. #242
    Hating ties is dumb. Dr. Naysay's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    19,244
    Liked
    1366 times
    Karma
    1058297
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    125 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NastiMarvasti View Post
    Hey Doc. Have you seen Green Lantern yet?
    I'm thrilled that you asked and even more thrilled that jerseydevil double tapped on this because it gives me yet another opportunity to remind everyone that I am perfectly capable of admitting when things I have professed fondness for....

    ARE ABSOLUTE GARBAGE.

    I only wish other people would give it a try.

  3. #243
    I'llPutPenniesOnYourEyes jerseydevil's Avatar




    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    36,340
    Liked
    6081 times
    Karma
    1632103
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1313 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Naysay View Post
    I'm thrilled that you asked and even more thrilled that jerseydevil double tapped on this because it gives me yet another opportunity to remind everyone that I am perfectly capable of admitting when things I have professed fondness for....

    ARE ABSOLUTE GARBAGE.

    I only wish other people would give it a try.
    Is that what you want? Ok Doc, prepare to be satisfied. The Pirates of the Caribbean flicks are technically garbage. Not rewriting any kind of 'how-to' manuals, or folding water. But they are my kind of garbage.

    Feel better?

  4. #244
    devenir gris gescom's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    33,437
    Liked
    1886 times
    Karma
    1252516
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    580 Post(s)

    Default

    and Star Wars... the WHOLE enchilada, which is garbage, is mine.
    Dexter and SmytheKing like this.
    GESCOM: it's never too early to start beefing up your obituary!

  5. #245
    I'llPutPenniesOnYourEyes jerseydevil's Avatar




    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    36,340
    Liked
    6081 times
    Karma
    1632103
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1313 Post(s)

    Default

    The thing I don't get...didn't Lucas always say that the original SW flicks were meant as homage to the Saturday serials he loved as a kid? What was the motivation for the prequels? They tried so hard to be 'hard' sci-fi and even that they failed at(i.m.o.). You do realize that a lot of the hatred is extra fueled by his constant revisionist tinkering. It's a case of a guy being too powerful and not having other voices to reel him back in. It started with Return of the Jedi and has snowballed exponentially. And instead of recognizing the feelings of the fans, who you would think he was making the movies for, he instead goes on a 'I'm quitting, the fans are too mean to me' jag. He has a lot to answer for and no awareness of that fact.

  6. #246
    about to burst apart Goallum's Avatar




    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    12,811
    Liked
    137 times
    Karma
    1005000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    It's his own creation, he's free to do what he wants with it. It's not a democracy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Watti
    And Terry Murray can ing shove a ing in a with two s and take his and his and put them in his !




    FROMOS FOR FROMEO

  7. #247
    Let's hug it out, bitch! NastiMarvasti's Avatar




    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    7,396
    Liked
    1420 times
    Karma
    1113854
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    301 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jerseydevil View Post
    Fair enough. But you understand that's the minority opinion. The originals are 'Wizard of Oz' beloved. And I can tell you my experience with the prequels was one of extreme betrayal. I went in ALL THREE TIMES hopeful that ThisWouldBeTheOne that brought back that magic feeling, only to be hopelessly crushed each time. Sure my expectations were high, but I went in ALL THREE TIMES with eyes wide open. The prequels are sterile. From the acting to the overly complicated politics. Maybe taken as a seperate entity they would fare better, but they have NO sense of fun. No sense of magic. Just a plodding overexplained trajectory of the fall of Anakin 'pouty mc bratty' Skywalker. You know why the original movies worked? Because Luke/Han/Leia were real people. Not people left to their own devices in front of green screens by a director who no longer has the ability to connect with his actors or his audience because he is too busy playing in his computer generated effects sandbox. I am glad you and Nasti were able to enjoy them. I can't understand it, but I don't begrudge you and experience i wish I could have shared.
    And that may be the reason I still enjoyed the movies because I wasn't so die hard with the originals, even though I enjoyed them as a kid.

  8. #248
    Let's hug it out, bitch! NastiMarvasti's Avatar




    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    7,396
    Liked
    1420 times
    Karma
    1113854
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    301 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Naysay View Post
    I'm thrilled that you asked and even more thrilled that jerseydevil double tapped on this because it gives me yet another opportunity to remind everyone that I am perfectly capable of admitting when things I have professed fondness for....

    ARE ABSOLUTE GARBAGE.

    I only wish other people would give it a try.
    I just went through an essay talking about how bad some of the stuff in the prequels were. But I also happened to like other parts of it too. Star Wars (including the originals) is more of a guilty pleasure to me than anything award worthy, except the technical stuff.

  9. #249
    Sing, cuckoo! BIG JOE's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,772
    Liked
    568 times
    Karma
    1484319
    Images
    72
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)

    Default

    Even though I said I wouldn't, I watched TPM 3D. Still as boring and stale as I remember.****.

  10. #250
    Hating ties is dumb. Dr. Naysay's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    19,244
    Liked
    1366 times
    Karma
    1058297
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    125 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NastiMarvasti View Post
    I just went through an essay talking about how bad some of the stuff in the prequels were. But I also happened to like other parts of it too. Star Wars (including the originals) is more of a guilty pleasure to me than anything award worthy, except the technical stuff.
    Sure... and when I take a dump it's an important and healthy part of my life. But I wouldn't try and sell anybody on the "good parts" of a pile of **** when I was charging them $12 to stare at it for 3 hours.
    jerseydevil likes this.

Page 25 of 86 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28