Click Here!
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: 7200 vs. 5400 RPM laptop hard drive?

  1. #1
    Da Great One borinka99's Avatar




    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    6,789
    Liked
    108 times
    Karma
    4000000
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)

    Default 7200 vs. 5400 RPM laptop hard drive?

    Is the speed that noticeable?

    Bought a Toshiba 500gb 5400 RPM 8MB buffer hard drive for $80. Installed it into my laptop and it's been working fine.

    Also ordered a Western Digital 320gb 7200 RPM 16MB buffer HD for $70.

    Should I go with the "faster" one instead? Been trying to research this online and am getting mixed reviews.

  2. #2
    Waiting for the night Creeping Death's Avatar




    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    7,411
    Liked
    182 times
    Karma
    1040100
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

    Default

    Yes it is faster. However do you need more disk space or the fastest performing computer possible? That should determine which drive you'll want to keep.
    And thats how you get ants!

  3. #3
    Da Great One borinka99's Avatar




    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    6,789
    Liked
    108 times
    Karma
    4000000
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Creeping Death View Post
    Yes it is faster. However do you need more disk space or the fastest performing computer possible? That should determine which drive you'll want to keep.
    Well, my old hard drive was 160gb, so double that should be plenty. Though 500 is even better. Just wondering how much faster the 7200 is.

  4. #4
    The gates have opened RoyalPain's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Posts
    4,648
    Liked
    1 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by borinka99 View Post
    Well, my old hard drive was 160gb, so double that should be plenty. Though 500 is even better. Just wondering how much faster the 7200 is.
    how much faster? very noticeable!! I bought a 7200 RPM drive for my laptop and the difference is night and day.

  5. #5
    Da Great One borinka99's Avatar




    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    6,789
    Liked
    108 times
    Karma
    4000000
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RoyalPain View Post
    how much faster? very noticeable!! I bought a 7200 RPM drive for my laptop and the difference is night and day.
    OK, you sold me! I guess I'll take out the 500gb and put in the 320gb 7200.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28