Page 112 of 278 FirstFirst ... 1262102110111112113114122162212 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,120 of 2772
Like Tree565Likes

Thread: ***DSLR/Photography MegaThread***

  1. #1111
    VF
    VF is offline
    Sittin' on the couch VF's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,424
    Liked
    113 times
    Karma
    1057600
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Default

    Very nice, a good exercise as well, I need to get better at anonymous people photography, I always feel weird sticking a camera in a random persons face.

  2. #1112
    1st Scoring Line BleedingPurple's Avatar




    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,937
    Liked
    8 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Images
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ValleyFan View Post
    Very nice, a good exercise as well, I need to get better at anonymous people photography, I always feel weird sticking a camera in a random persons face.
    Seriously! What do you say when you approach these people, FBJ?

  3. #1113
    FBJ
    FBJ is offline
    LGK's Red Baron FBJ's Avatar




    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    20,341
    Liked
    19642 times
    Karma
    105203176
    Images
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    233 Post(s)

    Default

    Well...the thing about this sort of event is that the people who get all dressed up in costume expect to get their pictures taken. What they don't expect, typically, is for a photographer to get as close to them as I wanted to. Most of the above were taken just beyond the minimum focusing distance of my 24-70 f/2.8 lens...so about a foot-and-a-half from the subject. Because of their costumes, every photographer takes full-body shots of the players, but I wanted to try and get a different result. All I had to do, though, was ask them politely if I could take their picture close-up.

    It was definitely a good exercise, but looking at the stuff when I got it home made me realize that I still need to be more conscious of my f-stop. I found that I ran it wide-open most of the time. My images could probably have been much sharper had I stopped down a bit.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Bullets are cheap. Life is priceless.


  4. #1114
    1st Scoring Line BleedingPurple's Avatar




    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,937
    Liked
    8 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Images
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FlyBoeingJets View Post
    Well...the thing about this sort of event is that the people who get all dressed up in costume expect to get their pictures taken. What they don't expect, typically, is for a photographer to get as close to them as I wanted to. Most of the above were taken just beyond the minimum focusing distance of my 24-70 f/2.8 lens...so about a foot-and-a-half from the subject. Because of their costumes, every photographer takes full-body shots of the players, but I wanted to try and get a different result. All I had to do, though, was ask them politely if I could take their picture close-up.

    It was definitely a good exercise, but looking at the stuff when I got it home made me realize that I still need to be more conscious of my f-stop. I found that I ran it wide-open most of the time. My images could probably have been much sharper had I stopped down a bit.
    Nice work. I'm with you on the closeups. Since I started taking photography classes, I've noticed that closeups, imo, are much more dramatic and appealing for something like this. I have the same tendancy with my f-stop as well. Running it wide open is nice though when you have a bunch of garbage in the background.



    ____________________________________________


    Very nice shot!



    ____________________________________________
    Last edited by BleedingPurple; July 5th, 2008 at 06:36 PM.

  5. #1115
    Go, Kings, Go Rinkrat's Avatar




    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Posts
    211,740
    Liked
    8423 times
    Karma
    131195945
    Images
    6741
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    661 Post(s)

    Default

    It sounds like the Derby Dolls. I have no problem asking the people who are dressed elaborately to pose for a photo because they are begging for it by the way they look and have no problem with people documenting it. Sometimes they will even ask me to take their picture, it's that easy.

    If I see a person that I want to photograph I just kind of point to the camera and say "Is it ok if I take a picture" and they usually put on the pose that they practiced in front of the mirror all morning.

  6. #1116
    FBJ
    FBJ is offline
    LGK's Red Baron FBJ's Avatar




    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    20,341
    Liked
    19642 times
    Karma
    105203176
    Images
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    233 Post(s)

    Default

    BleedingPurple...

    I don't know how you linked to my images like that (you shouldn't be able to with the settings I've set in flickr), but there's a reason those two pics weren't put up in the original batch above.

    Mind taking them out of your post? I don't mind you quoting the one I put in the first lot, though.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Bullets are cheap. Life is priceless.


  7. #1117
    1st Scoring Line BleedingPurple's Avatar




    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,937
    Liked
    8 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Images
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FlyBoeingJets View Post
    BleedingPurple...

    I don't know how you linked to my images like that (you shouldn't be able to with the settings I've set in flickr), but there's a reason those two pics weren't put up in the original batch above.

    Mind taking them out of your post? I don't mind you quoting the one I put in the first lot, though.

    I explained via PM. I removed them for you since you asked so nicely...

  8. #1118
    VF
    VF is offline
    Sittin' on the couch VF's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,424
    Liked
    113 times
    Karma
    1057600
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FlyBoeingJets View Post
    BleedingPurple...

    I don't know how you linked to my images like that (you shouldn't be able to with the settings I've set in flickr), but there's a reason those two pics weren't put up in the original batch above.

    Mind taking them out of your post? I don't mind you quoting the one I put in the first lot, though.
    Ooo, this sounds interesting, now I am going to HAVE to look at the full set on flickr!

  9. #1119
    VF
    VF is offline
    Sittin' on the couch VF's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,424
    Liked
    113 times
    Karma
    1057600
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Default

    Aww bummer, I was hoping for some spill over from the convention center's annual erotica convention There are some great shots in there though.

  10. #1120
    Go, Kings, Go Rinkrat's Avatar




    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Posts
    211,740
    Liked
    8423 times
    Karma
    131195945
    Images
    6741
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    661 Post(s)

    Default

    LAist: This Week's Most Commented & Recommended

    Second most recommended entry of the week in the LAist was my photo gallery on the LA Derby Dolls (my first LAist "assignment"). Most recommended article was a review of Master Kush, how can you compete with Master Kush?

    I like the photo credit with the Michael Zampelli/LAist. Looks good. Can't wait to see it on more galleries.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27