Click Here!
Page 241 of 277 FirstFirst ... 141 191 231 239 240 241 242 243 251 ... LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,410 of 2762
Like Tree538Likes

Thread: ***DSLR/Photography MegaThread***

  1. #2401
    VF
    VF is offline
    Sittin' on the couch VF's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,417
    Liked
    99 times
    Karma
    1052600
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)

    Default

    Oh Tri-X 400. Many many many bulk rolls of that used in college. Such a nice utilitarian stock.
    SirJW likes this.

  2. #2402
    Hit it like a baby seal SmytheKing's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    9,950
    Liked
    986 times
    Karma
    1055000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    146 Post(s)

    Default

    Not sure if any of you are in the market, but Samy's is having a decent deal on some Sigma lenses this week. Here's the ad.

  3. #2403
    1st Scoring Line DeaderFan's Avatar




    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    2,358
    Liked
    35 times
    Karma
    1113434
    Images
    27
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Default When B&H Photo Sucks

    Right now I think B&H Photo SUCKS! Yeah, I know they are actually a very good company. I've been using them for many many years and have always been pleased with them. But right now I am pissed! Let me explain:

    Back in February, I posted in this thread how bad ass I was because I had just pre-ordered the new Nikon D800. Well I learned a hard lesson--B&H is NOT the place to purchase a newly introduced camera. I thought, well these guys are the largest camera shop in the US so they should have a good supply of the cameras when they come out. The camera was introduced February 7. I ordered it within a minute or two of when B&H started taking pre-orders at 9:00 pm PST on Feb 6. Sounds like I got a pretty good chance of getting one of the first cameras, right? Apparently not. The camera came out a week ago and tens of thousands have been sold worldwide, but the camera is in short supply. Amazon has moved a bunch of them. Many people have even found them at their local Best Buy. Pro photographers who are part of Nikon's NPS program had their's dropped shipped to them. But, if you ordered through B&H's website, you are still waiting and they won't give you a straight answer why. People, like myself have called and are now being told that it could be the end of May before they will be able to ship pre-orders to the people who odered in those first minutes! WTF? Had I ordered through my local camera store or Amazon.com I would have my camera now! Who would have thought?

    The reason I pass along this story is to give you fair warning. There will be several new and amazing cameras introduced this year from both Canon and Nikon. If you just gotta have one of the first ones, don't pre-order through B&H. Go to your local camera store and get on their list, or try Amazon.com. Otherwise you might be very disappointed.

    BTW the reviews of the Nikon D800 are incredible. Even with 36 mp it still has excellent high-ISO capabilities--as good or better than the D700. DXO Labs gave the sensor in the camera it's highest rating ever.
    Last edited by DeaderFan; March 29th, 2012 at 09:54 AM.

  4. #2404
    Hit it like a baby seal SmytheKing's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    9,950
    Liked
    986 times
    Karma
    1055000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    146 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DeaderFan View Post
    Right now I think B&H Photo SUCKS! Yeah, I know they are actually a very good company. I've been using them for many many years and have always been pleased with them. But right now I am pissed! Let me explain:

    Back in February, I posted in this thread how bad ass I was because I had just pre-ordered the new Nikon D800. Well I learned a hard lesson--B&H is NOT the place to purchase a newly introduced camera. I thought, well these guys are the largest camera shop in the US so they should have a good supply of the cameras when they come out. The camera was introduced February 7. I ordered it within a minute or two of when B&H started taking pre-orders at 9:00 pm PST on Feb 6. Sounds like I got a pretty good chance of getting one of the first cameras, right? Apparently not. The camera came out a week ago and tens of thousands have been sold worldwide, but the camera is in short supply. Amazon has moved a bunch of them. Many people have even found them at their local Best Buy. Pro photographers who are part of Nikon's NPS program had their's dropped shipped to them. But, if you ordered through B&H's website, you are still waiting and they won't give you a straight answer why. People, like myself have called and are now being told that it could be the end of May before they will be able to ship pre-orders to the people who odered in those first minutes! WTF? Had I ordered through my local camera store or Amazon.com I would have my camera now! Who would have thought?

    The reason I pass along this story is to give you fair warning. There will be several new and amazing cameras introduced this year from both Canon and Nikon. If you just gotta have one of the first ones, don't pre-order through B&H. Go to your local camera store and get on their list, or try Amazon.com. Otherwise you might be very disappointed.

    BTW the reviews of the Nikon D800 are incredible. Even with 36 mp it still has excellent high-ISO capabilities--as good or better than the D700. DXO Labs gave the sensor in the camera it's highest rating ever.
    Out of curiosity, why wouldn't/couldn't you just cancel the pre-order and get it elsewhere? I mean, I understand the frustration, I'm just curious why you'd still be waiting (if you are).

  5. #2405
    1st Scoring Line DeaderFan's Avatar




    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    2,358
    Liked
    35 times
    Karma
    1113434
    Images
    27
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SmytheKing View Post
    Out of curiosity, why wouldn't/couldn't you just cancel the pre-order and get it elsewhere? I mean, I understand the frustration, I'm just curious why you'd still be waiting (if you are).
    That is something I am looking into. The problem now is that the camera has gotten so much aclaim that everyone wants one. So, consequently, camera stores have long waiting lists now. If you go on Amazon today, the say your order will ship in 1 to 2 months. (They have a listing for a "used" one at $1200 over retail. People are flipping them on Ebay too for big profits.) So basically, I just made a bad choice going with B&H in this situation. But now their promise of "late May" is about the same as Amazon. Its not really B&H's fault. There are just not many cameras to be had. The "pro" NPS customers got taken care of but B&H didn't get inventory for regular mailorder. My understanding is that Adorama customers are complaining too.

    There is a lot of pent up demand for this camera (and the D4) because Nikon has had to push back introducing new pro cameras for a year due to the earthquake in Japan and the floods in Thailand. They had two main factories completely wiped out. Canon, on the other hand was less affected. Supply of the new 5D Mark III is tight but you can find one if you look hard.

    I will keep my place in line at B&H for now, but I will also call around to a few local camera stores and see what they can do for me. I'll keep checking Best Buy too.

  6. #2406
    Hit it like a baby seal SmytheKing's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    9,950
    Liked
    986 times
    Karma
    1055000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    146 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DeaderFan View Post
    That is something I am looking into. The problem now is that the camera has gotten so much aclaim that everyone wants one. So, consequently, camera stores have long waiting lists now. If you go on Amazon today, the say your order will ship in 1 to 2 months. (They have a listing for a "used" one at $1200 over retail. People are flipping them on Ebay too for big profits.) So basically, I just made a bad choice going with B&H in this situation. But now their promise of "late May" is about the same as Amazon. Its not really B&H's fault. There are just not many cameras to be had. The "pro" NPS customers got taken care of but B&H didn't get inventory for regular mailorder. My understanding is that Adorama customers are complaining too.

    There is a lot of pent up demand for this camera (and the D4) because Nikon has had to push back introducing new pro cameras for a year due to the earthquake in Japan and the floods in Thailand. They had two main factories completely wiped out. Canon, on the other hand was less affected. Supply of the new 5D Mark III is tight but you can find one if you look hard.

    I will keep my place in line at B&H for now, but I will also call around to a few local camera stores and see what they can do for me. I'll keep checking Best Buy too.
    Ah ok. That makes sense. From the original statement I was under the assumption that you had passed up other options because you had pre-ordered it already. I wasn't sure if there was a non-refundable deposit or something to that effect. Thanks for clarifying.

  7. #2407
    Hell yes. UnholyGoalie's Avatar




    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    5,645
    Liked
    566 times
    Karma
    1076200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    106 Post(s)

    Default

    I don't really understand why someone needs to have the latest and greatest camera from Nikon or Canon. To each his own, I suppose, but that's a ton of money to spend on something that might just be minutely "better". I had enough jitters dropping a grand on my DSLR.

  8. #2408
    FBJ
    FBJ is offline
    LGK's Red Baron FBJ's Avatar




    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    20,269
    Liked
    19398 times
    Karma
    105193176
    Images
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    221 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UnholyGoalie View Post
    I don't really understand why someone needs to have the latest and greatest camera from Nikon or Canon. To each his own, I suppose, but that's a ton of money to spend on something that might just be minutely "better". I had enough jitters dropping a grand on my DSLR.
    The D800 is quite a bit more than minutely better than B's D200.

    The D4 isn't enough of an improvement over the D3 to have me clamoring for one, though.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Bullets are cheap. Life is priceless.


  9. #2409
    Hell yes. UnholyGoalie's Avatar




    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    5,645
    Liked
    566 times
    Karma
    1076200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    106 Post(s)

    Default

    Ah, I don't know the specs on any of the new models because I have little hope of affording one.

  10. #2410
    VF
    VF is offline
    Sittin' on the couch VF's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,417
    Liked
    99 times
    Karma
    1052600
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)

    Default

    The 5D MkIII has me wishing for the Mega Millions.

Page 241 of 277 FirstFirst ... 141 191 231 239 240 241 242 243 251 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66