Page 7 of 278 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 2773
Like Tree567Likes

Thread: ***DSLR/Photography MegaThread***

  1. #61
    what I am, you shall be nocturn's Avatar




    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    8,529
    Liked
    1862 times
    Karma
    4065000
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    474 Post(s)

    Default

    Here's my next lens. http://www.expresscameras.com/prodet...618728&start=1

    Thats the cheapest I found it. Everywhere else it's between $750 and $850.

    Its alot of bones to throw at a micro but I tried it last week on my buddy's D200 and WOW...what a lens.
    "Quod tu es, ego fui, quod nunc sum et tu eris"

  2. #62
    FBJ
    FBJ is offline
    LGK's Red Baron FBJ's Avatar




    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    20,342
    Liked
    19645 times
    Karma
    105203176
    Images
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    233 Post(s)

    Default

    That's a fast one, for sure. F2.8 should get you some high shutter speeds and extra-shallow DOF. Good for birds and relatively close action shots that you want to be able to freeze. A relatively short minimum focus distance for a 105mm, too.

    Today I'm taking the D200 out to the ballgame along with the 80-200 and the 70-300 lenses. I'm going to shoot in RAW format and process the images with the three software suites I'm trying out (Nikon's, Adobe's Lightroom, Capture1). I want to compare them side-by-side to determine which one's flow I like better.

    Link to the "Best Photo Processing Software???" thread...

    I'll post some of the results tomorrow.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Bullets are cheap. Life is priceless.


  3. #63
    VF
    VF is online now
    Sittin' on the couch VF's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,424
    Liked
    114 times
    Karma
    1057600
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FlyBarneyJets View Post
    I'm going to shoot in RAW format and process the images with the three software suites I'm trying out (Nikon's, Adobe's Lightroom, Capture1). I want to compare them side-by-side to determine which one's flow I like better.
    I don't know how Adobe Camera Raw is with Nikon Raws using the default "As Shot" settings, but with my Canon (5D), I had to make my own color profiles using a Macbeth ColorChecker chart in different lighting setups (available at www.sampage.net/color if anyone is interested) before I was at all happy with the color coming out of ACR. But once I got my profiles in there, ACR has been great.

  4. #64
    VF
    VF is online now
    Sittin' on the couch VF's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,424
    Liked
    114 times
    Karma
    1057600
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Default

    It seems that most of those still active in this thread are Nikon-ers, but for the Canon folk, I just finished renting a lens (EF 85mm f/1.2L, Mmmmmmmm) from www.lensrentals.com, and it was one of the best lens rentals I have experienced so far. Really great rates, lens was in good shape, you can reserve lenses if you know you need it on a certain date, and everything is in stock (unlike rentglass which is why I went looking for another rental house). Anyway, renting is a great way to try out the lenses you can't afford, and this is a great resource for that.

  5. #65
    FBJ
    FBJ is offline
    LGK's Red Baron FBJ's Avatar




    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    20,342
    Liked
    19645 times
    Karma
    105203176
    Images
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    233 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ValleyFan View Post
    I don't know how Adobe Camera Raw is with Nikon Raws using the default "As Shot" settings, but with my Canon (5D), I had to make my own color profiles using a Macbeth ColorChecker chart in different lighting setups (available at www.sampage.net/color if anyone is interested) before I was at all happy with the color coming out of ACR. But once I got my profiles in there, ACR has been great.
    Lightroom is supposed to support all current proprietary RAW formats. We'll see how it works a bit later tonight. I'm still trying to figure out how the program works.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Bullets are cheap. Life is priceless.


  6. #66
    FBJ
    FBJ is offline
    LGK's Red Baron FBJ's Avatar




    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    20,342
    Liked
    19645 times
    Karma
    105203176
    Images
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    233 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ValleyFan View Post
    It seems that most of those still active in this thread are Nikon-ers, but for the Canon folk, I just finished renting a lens (EF 85mm f/1.2L, Mmmmmmmm) from www.lensrentals.com, and it was one of the best lens rentals I have experienced so far. Really great rates, lens was in good shape, you can reserve lenses if you know you need it on a certain date, and everything is in stock (unlike rentglass which is why I went looking for another rental house). Anyway, renting is a great way to try out the lenses you can't afford, and this is a great resource for that.
    Rentglass.com never has anything I need in stock. I rented the 80-400 VR Nikon from ziplens.com and I was very happy with it. Their customer service was amazing, too. Very attentive and they came through with exactly what they promised me. The lens was in like-new shape when it got to me, too.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Bullets are cheap. Life is priceless.


  7. #67
    FBJ
    FBJ is offline
    LGK's Red Baron FBJ's Avatar




    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    20,342
    Liked
    19645 times
    Karma
    105203176
    Images
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    233 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FlyBarneyJets View Post
    Lightroom is supposed to support all current proprietary RAW formats. We'll see how it works a bit later tonight. I'm still trying to figure out how the program works.
    Okay folks. Here's a few images that I processed with Adobe Lightroom. I'm loving this program! And I love shooting in RAW format! There is SO MUCH MORE DATA in the image to play with! It gives you MUCH MUCH more control over how your images turn out!

    Main dome at Griffith Observatory. I processed this in B&W (durhey) and tweaked the highlights and contrast to bring out the cloud detail. I also turned off the noise reduction to give it that grainy look.


    Obelisk. A shape study. B&W processed much the same way as the one above.


    Another black-and-white processed image. This one was shot from the roof with the 10.5mm fisheye. I liked the way the contrast turned out.


    An architectural/scenic. I enhanced highlights and slightly deepened the blue hues. In addition, I cranked up the color and luminance noise-reductions.


    Here's an indoor, low-light image. Shot through the fisheye with a 1/8 sec exposure at f2.8, ISO200, no flash. Fast enough to stop motion while not underexposing was what I was after. White balance was corrected for tungsten lighting and noise reductions were maxed.


    The rotunda. This image turned out to be one of my favorites of the day. White balance corrected for custom color samples (I used the light coming through the glass door). Sharpness cranked to maximum.


    Tesla Coil. Creative cropping saves a ****ty photo.


    This was an interesting one to process. I found that as I cranked up the highlights to bring out the clouds, I lost the color in the greenish patina of the brass hardware. This is the happy medium.


    Ghetto Buzzard. This shot was experimental in nature. I wanted to make sure the exposure wasn't so fast as to freeze the rotor blades. This was cropped and enlarged from the original image.


    Here are a few images I shot at Dodger Stadium last Wednesday. These were taken from my seat in the lower reserved section, about a third of the way between the third-base bag and the foul pole. Probably three-hundred yards. 70-300 lens.



    Those two really show the limits of the optics on my cheap-ass 70-300. Its especially noticeable when you zoom in a click or two. Ghosty whites. I need a better quality long lens.

    EDIT: Sorry, folks. If you're reading this page of this thread for the first time, there's a reason there's no pics in this post any longer. The server where these pics were was changed. Most of them are on my Flickr page, now.
    Last edited by FBJ; October 22nd, 2007 at 09:58 AM.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Bullets are cheap. Life is priceless.


  8. #68
    FBJ
    FBJ is offline
    LGK's Red Baron FBJ's Avatar




    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    20,342
    Liked
    19645 times
    Karma
    105203176
    Images
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    233 Post(s)

    Default

    Damn. No loves for my picses.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Bullets are cheap. Life is priceless.


  9. #69
    Blah Cytoxan's Avatar




    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    92
    Liked
    0 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Wow, this thread really makes me want to take a class. Did you guys take a class or just pick it up?

    I have a Digital Rebel xt like a few others and have just started to uses some of the manual settings. I felt like the kid that just had his training wheels taken off… I am looking for a good lens to take on a Caribbean cruise. We’re going on several tours and want to take lots of scenic shots. What would you recommend in the $500.00 - $1000.00 range?

    Thanks,

  10. #70
    travelstore.rovia.com




    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    824
    Liked
    16 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cytoxan View Post
    Wow, this thread really makes me want to take a class. Did you guys take a class or just pick it up?

    I have a Digital Rebel xt like a few others and have just started to uses some of the manual settings. I felt like the kid that just had his training wheels taken off… I am looking for a good lens to take on a Caribbean cruise. We’re going on several tours and want to take lots of scenic shots. What would you recommend in the $500.00 - $1000.00 range?

    Thanks,
    I will let someone else comment on the lens choice, but I would highly recommend taking a polarizing filter to the Caribbean.

Page 7 of 278 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27