Click Here!
Page 8 of 33 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 330

Thread: HD Format War "News"

  1. #71
    Unfiltered
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by go View Post
    I think you mean 1080p True HD.
    It's 1080i if that's all his TV will allow.
    Last edited by Unfiltered; June 27th, 2007 at 06:50 PM.

  2. #72
    Frozen Fury JACKPOT!! dgrycan's Avatar




    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    10,253
    Liked
    148 times
    Karma
    1030000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NastiMarvasti View Post
    Is that official?

    Universal will run out of movies to release a lot faster than Sony, Fox, and Disney combined.
    Let's take the top grossing movies of all time (adjusted for inflation) and analyze their potential as the two formats exist by my count.

    http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

    Blu-ray exclusives - 51
    HD-DVD Exclusives - 11

    Most and best my ass.

  3. #73
    Let's hug it out, bitch! NastiMarvasti's Avatar




    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    7,206
    Liked
    1934 times
    Karma
    1058600
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    185 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dgrycan View Post
    Let's take the top grossing movies of all time (adjusted for inflation) and analyze their potential as the two formats exist by my count.

    http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

    Blu-ray exclusives - 51
    HD-DVD Exclusives - 11

    Most and best my ass.
    Also, I'm pretty sure Fox and Disney surpass Universal by themselves.

    Actually, we're also forgetting about TV shows. I'm pretty sure this is how the stations stand.

    NBC - HD DVD (Same as Universal)
    ABC - Blu-ray (Same as Disney)
    Fox - Blu-ray (Obvious)
    CBS - Neutral (Same as Paramount)
    HBO - Neutral (Same as Warner)
    Last edited by NastiMarvasti; June 27th, 2007 at 08:43 PM.

  4. #74
    Mr. Irreverent
    Guest

    Default

    The ironic thing here is that people aren't buying either of the 2 until one becomes the standard... A vicious cycle.

  5. #75
    Unfiltered
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Irreverent View Post
    The ironic thing here is that some people aren't buying either of the 2 until one becomes the standard... A vicious cycle.
    FTFY

  6. #76
    Unfiltered
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NastiMarvasti View Post
    Actually, we're also forgetting about TV shows. I'm pretty sure this is how the stations stand.

    NBC - HD DVD (Same as Universal)
    ABC - Blu-ray (Same as Disney)
    Fox - Blu-ray (Obvious)
    CBS - Neutral (Same as Paramount)
    HBO - Neutral (Same as Warner)
    You can't always look at TV shows like that, as not all shows on any particular network are produced by them. (Ex. Scrubs in on NBC but yet is a Buena Vista/Touchstone release. My Name Is Earl is on NBC as well, but is produced by 20th Century Fox. House is a Universal release but airs on Fox.)
    Last edited by Unfiltered; June 27th, 2007 at 09:24 PM.

  7. #77
    Socrates
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Irreverent View Post
    The ironic thing here is that people aren't buying either of the 2 until one becomes the standard... A vicious cycle.


    Not only have I not bought either a Blu Ray or HDDVD player, I've also stopped buying standard DVD's because I'm waiting a format to be decided.

    This should have just been worked out in a meeting a couple of years ago and then all these companies would be raking in the cash.

  8. #78
    Unfiltered
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Socrates View Post
    Not only have I not bought either a Blu Ray or HDDVD player, I've also stopped buying standard DVD's because I'm waiting a format to be decided.

    This should have just been worked out in a meeting a couple of years ago and then all these companies would be raking in the cash.
    Yup. I totally agree. In fact, there were quite a few DVD titles I held back on purchasing last year waiting on their HD counterpart to be released. (Both Pirates movies come to mind.) I didn't pick up my PS3 until this past February, so I was forward thinking back then.

    There was even talk at one point of using the HD DVD name (for recognition sake) and using Blu-ray's larger capacity, but both sides were so damn stubborn thinking "their" format was better than the other. Typical.

    Honestly, had that happened, and HD DVD was the format chosen, then I would own an HD DVD player right now because there wouldn't be an exclusivity issue like there is right now.

    Look, I don't blame others for waiting it out. I don't usually share my opinion on the matter unless I'm asked or in a forum like this. But if I am asked, and the person asking tells me he/she is ready to purchase, I tell them to do their own research.

    At this time, I just don't see BR not coming out ahead. But i wouldn't recommend to anyone to buy a BR player based on my opinions. Look at the facts and make your own decision.
    Last edited by Unfiltered; June 28th, 2007 at 12:03 AM.

  9. #79
    Frozen Fury JACKPOT!! dgrycan's Avatar




    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    10,253
    Liked
    148 times
    Karma
    1030000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Socrates View Post
    This should have just been worked out in a meeting a couple of years ago and then all these companies would be raking in the cash.
    While I agree with you that this should have been done and finished long before now, don't ignore the fact that money is the reason this is still existing all together. Sony versus Toshiba, and royalties for their formats.

    One thing in this whole format war that really pisses me off is a group of the marketplace that, for one reason or another (past arrogance, whatever) just don't like Sony no matter what they do. HD-DVD could look piss poor, and Blu-ray could be the best thing since sliced bread, and people would still lobby around Sony.

    What most fail to see is that, unlike the past, TOSHIBA is actually the "Sony" of this battle. They are the sole provider of the hardware for their format. They've designed and priced it now so no indepentent CE companies can even consider entering the marketplace. Meanwhile, Panasonic, Samsung, Pioneer - all companies who are well entrenched in the Blu-ray marketplace.

  10. #80
    Frozen Fury JACKPOT!! dgrycan's Avatar




    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    10,253
    Liked
    148 times
    Karma
    1030000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NastiMarvasti View Post
    Also, I'm pretty sure Fox and Disney surpass Universal by themselves.
    Sony might even surpass Universal by themselves, when you consider that they have all Columbia, United Artists and MGM releases in their pocket.

Page 8 of 33 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28