Click Here!
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 167

Thread: Mac or PC?

  1. #41
    "The Kings are THE KINGS" Deuce's Avatar




    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    2,232
    Liked
    167 times
    Karma
    1024379
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OrangePuck View Post
    why is it that Mac users complain about viruses and error messages on PC all the time. Honest to God, I don't get them. Could it be that some of you guys just don't know how to take care of a PC? It's really not that hard. Trust me. A little knowledge goes a long way.

    Once in a while if my laptop hibernates my wireless card goes batty...then I restart. Problem solved.

    Im not complaining at all, I have two MACs and a PC. My PC doesnt get Viruses at all. All I said was to make sure you keep your Anti-Virus app up to date, thats all bro. If you dont click on crap your not supposed to do or try downloading from sites you shouldnt be you shouldnt every have a problem on either platform. The problem is, many users do get viruses and are always fixing their PCs. The same cant be sad about MAC since I have never seen one with a virus... ever.

    When my brother finally switched to MAC I was stoked because it meant I wasnt going to have to go to his house ever other month and tune-up his PC. God, he ALWAYS had some sort of virus or spyware on that thing. Since he bought a MAC I have only been there twice to help his wife with a program she didnt know how to use.

  2. #42
    All Star




    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    5,942
    Liked
    1 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Im not complaining at all, I have two MACs and a PC. My PC doesnt get Viruses at all. All I said was to make sure you keep your Anti-Virus app up to date, thats all bro. If you dont click on crap your not supposed to do or try downloading from sites you shouldnt be you shouldnt every have a problem on either platform. The problem is, many users do get viruses and are always fixing their PCs. The same cant be sad about MAC since I have never seen one with a virus... ever.

    When my brother finally switched to MAC I was stoked because it meant I wasnt going to have to go to his house ever other month and tune-up his PC. God, he ALWAYS had some sort of virus or spyware on that thing. Since he bought a MAC I have only been there twice to help his wife with a program she didnt know how to use.
    I wasn't upset with anything you said bro. I was just remarking on Mac users constantly complaining about viruses and error messages. I never get that stuff because I don't troll the net for porn all day long and getting my computer infected because I tried to download "free porn." In addition to that I keep my nod32 up to date and all is good.

    I just laugh because everybody always cites the virus issue (which leads to the error message). While it's true that PCs have more viruses than Mac I feel it's a bit ignorant to use this as a reason to explain why Macs are better than PCs. Fact of the matter is that viruses are written for PCs because there are more PCs out there to infect. If hackers wake up one day and decide to go after Mac then Apple and their glorious little machines will be just as vulnerable.

    Word to the wise....don't download stuff if you don't know what the hell you are doing and keep your virus definitions up today AND RUN THE VIRUS PROTECTION ON A PERIODIC BASIS and you to can be error message free! Yay!

  3. #43
    THHHHHTTPD!!!! Bandit's Avatar




    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    15,067
    Liked
    85 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Took you long enough, and you still didn't answer the software question.

    Quote Originally Posted by OrangePuck View Post
    You're a console gamer. That's great. So am I. However, to turn a blind eye towards this just because YOU won't take advantage of it is not fair. It's a serious limitation. I'm willing to bet that there are more PC gamers out there that are anti-console than there are Mac guys out there who are anti-PC. You mean to tell me that of all of you enlightened Mac users there isn't a single one that prefers PC gaming over console? Mighty big assumption there sparky. FAIL.
    It's is only a "serious limitation" to those who want to play games on their computer. This is now the second time I'm pointing out to you that the person that asked the question didn't list playing games as one of his criteria. In fact he said "No gaming whatsoever."

    Quote Originally Posted by OrangePuck
    Damn, sounds like you rip all of your music into 128/kbps AAC files because...well, because if you don't you'd never come close to filling up your iPod with the amount of songs that Apple says it will hold. I strongly advise a little research in audio fidelity/Mp3 file sizes and bit rates. If you aren't ripping into VBR using EAC with a LAME encoder then I feel bad for you. FAIL.
    What? I don't know what your point is but that was a lot of gibberish. What does how many songs I can fit on my ipod have to do with the ripping capabilities of iTunes? AAC & VBR are for losers who can't afford a $100 hard drive. iTunes rips MP3's just fine, if you're not a retard and can figure out how to open iTunes preferences. Then again, you are a ducks fan...

    Quote Originally Posted by OrangePuck
    So, Mac users are so wealthy that they can afford a $75 do-hickey to stream their music but they lack similar affluence when it comes to upgrading their PC to play the latest PC game? Dude, really? FAIL!
    Spending $500-$1000 in upgrades is hardly comparable, and once again you are falling back to the "ZOMG! Macs can't play games" argument. It's not in dispute, nor is it relevant, and it's all you've got. Sad.

    Quote Originally Posted by OrangePuck
    My laptop and desktop are compatible with everything. I don't have to miss out on a great deal because it's not Mac compliant. On the other hand limited choices for a Mac user means that prices will stay nice and high on dated hardware because....well because you don't have a ****ing choice now do you?
    Strange, my Mac is "compatible with everything" as well. I've asked you to provide ONE example of something and you can't, let alone one example of something that actually matters.
    The Original Pancake Hater

  4. #44
    1st Scoring Line BadIdea's Avatar




    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,411
    Liked
    1920 times
    Karma
    1029800
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    28 Post(s)

    Default

    I should of made this a poll.

    Thanks for all the input so far.

    King Taco asked if I prefer a laptop or desktop - I prefer a desktop.

  5. #45
    Support the Fans SirJW's Avatar



    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    12,291
    Liked
    1098 times
    Karma
    5000
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Default

    Maybe the question should be, are there any Mac owners who are unhappy their computer? But don't ask me I'm biased, having never owned a PC and had Apples before there were Macs.

  6. #46
    mcsorleyminute
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SirJW View Post
    Maybe the question should be, are there any Mac owners who are unhappy their computer? But don't ask me I'm biased, having never owned a PC and had Apples before there were Macs.
    Well, Mac owners?

    Speak up if you're unhappy with your Mac.


    *crickets chirping

  7. #47
    "The Kings are THE KINGS" Deuce's Avatar




    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    2,232
    Liked
    167 times
    Karma
    1024379
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)

    Default

    Im not unhappy with my MACs or PC but I am happier with my MACs hands down!

  8. #48
    All Star




    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    5,942
    Liked
    1 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
    Took you long enough, and you still didn't answer the software question.
    I can't answer that question without admitting to a crime. Read between the lines. Hint.....I dont' pay for ****.

    It's is only a "serious limitation" to those who want to play games on their computer. This is now the second time I'm pointing out to you that the person that asked the question didn't list playing games as one of his criteria. In fact he said "No gaming whatsoever."
    Dude may change is mind. I never game on PC but I did give it shot once. Didn't care for it. Who is to say he won't change his mind in the future. Too bad for him he won't have the option to even try.

    As far as limitations on software are concerned...PCs will run 95% of all written software on the OS to that came with the PC. If you counter with....well I can run windows on my Mac then you no longer have a mac....you have a pc running on an intel chip. It kind of undermines your argument now doesn't it?

    If you want to upgrade a graphics card shouldn't you have that option? Not if you have a Mac. Wouldn't it not be nice to have a second mouse button on your Macbook? It's little simple stuff like that that annoys the hell out of me. My laptop cost $1800 and if I was limited to what I could do with it I'd be pissed. Mac owners seem to love their Macs because all the decisions are made for them. It's like they can't think for themselves or something which probably explains why they can't keep their PCs virus free.

    What? I don't know what your point is but that was a lot of gibberish. What does how many songs I can fit on my ipod have to do with the ripping capabilities of iTunes? AAC & VBR are for losers who can't afford a $100 hard drive. iTunes rips MP3's just fine, if you're not a retard and can figure out how to open iTunes preferences. Then again, you are a ducks fan...
    iTunes is easy to use. Is that all you have? If I am an audiophile and want the cleanest sounding MP3s because I hook up my iPod to a DVD Audio, reference quality system in my car should I not be able to create reference quality MP3 files? Trust me.....iTunes can't do it. Before you tell me that I can't tell the difference let me tell you that I can, especially when I listen to my iPod with reference quality headphones. But I'm sure Apple has a program that will do this for you....for $50 or so.


    Spending $500-$1000 in upgrades is hardly comparable, and once again you are falling back to the "ZOMG! Macs can't play games" argument. It's not in dispute, nor is it relevant, and it's all you've got. Sad.
    Again, if you want to spend that money because you want that new video card you should be allowed to do it. Plain and simple.

    Strange, my Mac is "compatible with everything" as well. I've asked you to provide ONE example of something and you can't, let alone one example of something that actually matters.
    Dude, I used to work as a computer engineer for a very large company in Newport Beach. Mac is not compatible with everything. We had one guy who was the biggest douche in the world. He drive a white VW Beetle (the new ones) with an apple sticker in the back. As soon as he had enough clout he worked the system and got himself a Mac. The ONLY ONE in a company of 2000 employees. I bet you think it was easy for the tech guys to get it on the network huh? Well it wasn't. In fact they deemed it unsuitable for the network and would not let him put it on. What made it incompatible? I don't know, it wasn't my responsibility to get it networked. However, in talking with the guys who were in charge of networking it they were adamant that it could not be done without compromising the infrastructure and creating a whole mess of support calls.

    Dude Macs aren't perfect and in listening to a majority if you guys it's like you are repeating everything from a Mac commercial. It's ****ing eerie. I've never owned a Mac. I've used other peoples Macs and didn't like them. I can't personally give you examples because my experience is so limited with them. I just see what people say about their Macs and about PCs and frankly it doens't make sense to me so I don't buy it. However, I found a site that gives plenty of examples of Macs falling short of perfection. It just works? It just works my hairy ass.

    Mac Apps Suck

    Mac Hardware Sucks

    For all you people that bitch about Vista....

    Leopard OS isn't all that great either

  9. #49
    Chipping for par lath19's Avatar




    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,319
    Liked
    5 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Heh, who didn't see this thread coming?

    It's really personal choice. Some people like Macs, some like PC's. Me, I have no need for a Mac. Every PC I've built has lasted longer than I've needed it with a minimal decrease in performance over that time period. The machine I built 5+ years ago which sits in my closet could be turned on tonight and would run most things just fine. Ease of use isn't an issue because XP is about as simple as it gets. Viruses and spyware aren't an issue because anybody who knows what they are doing can easily avoid them. Plus I can build my machine with whatever parts I choose at a fraction of the cost for a Mac. To me it's a no brainer.

    Now there are lots of people who should go for a Mac for the exact same reasons I just mentioned. Mac's seem to have done a good job of making them more "idiot proof." Not to say all Mac users are idiots or anything close to that. Mac's, to their credit, seem to keep novice to intermediate users from getting into as much trouble. Some of that credit probably goes to Apple and some probably goes to a small market share (hence less reasons for malicious software to be created). Whatever the reason Mac's do serve a purpose to plenty of people with various levels of computer knowledge/experience.

    Again what it comes down to is personal preference. Unless you're getting into real specialized software either one is going to be able to do what you want. Just don't waste your time having a pissing match over which one is better. Seriously, it's just consumer electronics. Why the **** would you care what somebody else thinks you should use to browse the internet or check your email? Exactly.
    Last edited by lath19; February 19th, 2008 at 05:56 PM.

  10. #50
    #1 fan VEGASKING's Avatar




    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    2,992
    Liked
    61 times
    Karma
    1005000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lath19 View Post
    Why the **** would you care of what somebody else thinks you should use to browse the internet or check your email? Exactly.

    Good post. Completely agree. The machine I built 7 or 8 years ago would be perfectly fine for the original poster to use according to his needs. Which brings me to the portion of your post I quoted, it would cost 1/3 of the price of a mac. That's the only thing I don't get. Why spend $2800 on a Mac Pro, which doesn't include the monitor, to browse the net, listen to music and use Photoshop?

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28